The Misplaced Circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fire cracked and a few embers were pushed by the breeze. Not only she is a mage, she is a capable with knives, killing, and even hunting. "One of these day, Mona, I'll get you to tell me about your pasts with the Native tribes. I've known little about them." Kant poked the fire and caused the flames to shift dramatically, lighting up Mona in different ways. Her eyes reflected the flames like a gemstone and Kant couldn't take his own off them. He couldn't help noticing that her lips were round, and completely enticing. Heat permeated throughout his body. It was not caused by the fire, but something explainable. Kant broke his gaze quickly and stood up. "I think I'm getting a bit restless. I'm going to walk around a bit before I head to sleep." He tried not to look at Mona as he passed her, but he gave a lingering gaze before walking off. Whats wrong with me. I should be focused on my mission. I can't let anymore people die. The sudden weight of responsibility returned and he immediately sobered, but the heat from earlier still burned brightly.

Reactions: RangerKay
Mona nodded absentmindedly, her hands moving towards the flames to warm her fingers. She yawned, tugging off her cloak and laying it on the ground. She made sure that she wasn't sitting on the daggers or anything sharp.

Although entirely unexpexted, Kant enjoyed this short walk. The night sky shone beautifully and the weather was excellent. It would probably be much more enjoyable Mona was here with me. He recoiled at the thought. Part of the walk's purpose was to let him wander and clear his mind, but as usual it made him think more. There were too many things to address at once. Feelings, responsibilities, and even concerns o the future. Kant sighed. He had recovered mostly by the time he walked back towards the camp. The fire was now just a small glow.

Mona took off her shoes, curling up on the cloak and getting as close to the waning fire as she could. She yawned, looking up as she heard gravel crunching. She struggled with her cloak, trying to get to a dagger.

Kant saw a shape in the cloak and figured Mona was asleep by now, but just to make sure he softly called her name out, "Mona, are you awake?"

Mona stilled, whispering, "Kant? Oh, I'm glad it's just you..." She smoothed out her cloak, glad she wasn't able to find one of her daggers. "I could've stabbed you..." She fussed, curling back up on the cloak.

Kant laughed. He didn't know why but the scene was just strangely comedic. After facing bloodthirsty men who also almost killed him, he couldn't imagine Mona stabbing him. "Sorry sorry." He finally calmed down. "Okay I'm going to sleep then." Kant eyed the space next to Mona and considered. "Do you mind if I sleep next to you. It might be a cold night and we can't just leave the fire burning through the night during this dry weather."

Mona frowned at him while he was laughing, but nodded when he asked. "Yeah, I'm cold anyway...>"

Kant settled himself near Mona. He couldn't tell if it was truly warmer near her or his body was just reacting. "Well good night then." He turned away from her and wrapped his cloak tightly around himself. I don't know if I could look Mona in the eyes and fall asleep. He could feel her behind him sometimes even touching as either of them shifted. Yeah I don't know how I'm going to sleep even facing away.

Mona sighed, unable to sleep. She rolled over so she was facing his back, trying to keep herself warm. She scooted closer, her fingers like ice as she put them under her arms. She sniffed, closing her eyes. She was regretting laying on her cloak instead of wrapping it around herself.

Kant felt Mona shift more behind him and even get closer. His pulse raced until he heard her sniff. Was she cold? He turned to see that she did seem cold with both her hands tucked tightly beneath her arms. Kant did what seemed natural and extended his own cloak over both of them. "I'm sorry if I'm a bit too close but it seemed like you needed some extra warmth." He extended his hands to hers and felt their chill. "Wow their freezing!" His hands clasped tighter onto hers. His warmth being shared. "I'm just going to do this until your hands are warm enough. Then I'll just turn around and sleep. If you like you can also take the cloak for the night. I'm fine with the cold. My master's tower was always chilly."

Mona blinked at him, speechless. "I...uh..." She blushed, enjoying the warmth from his hands. "Thank you...." She whispered softly, smiling. "I kept far away from the northern tribes and kept to the southern lands...it was warmer...." She scooted closer, trying to curl into his heat.

"I see... Well it will probably get warmer as we venture further south." Her body was now close enough that he could smell her scent. It was oddly refreshing and sweet. He felt warmth connect them together through their hands. The world seemed entirely disconnected from what he was experiencing now. It was as if they were in a glass bubble of their own. Entirely unaware of everything else except what was within their small world. And in this world, he felt his body give way to sleep. The tiredness from the day disappearing quietly. His hand was still grasping hers and his body began heaving with slow determined breaths.

Mona smiled. "I hope so." She watched as he drifted off to sleep and she rolled over, pressing her back against him gently in an effort to keep the warmth. She sighed happily, her eyes closing as she let sleep take her.

The morning light caressed Kant's face. There was a strange feeling of utter peace and tranquility as he awoke. His arms was wrapped around Mona under the cloak and he felt her beating heart against his. He wanted to softly kiss the back of her neck to wake her up, but that was entirely inappropriate. They were just traveling companions with a single purpose. That thought distinguished any more notions, and he untangled himself off her. The space between them now seems like an impenetrable barrier. He stretched and felt entirely refreshed. Mona seemed to still be asleep.

Not sure what he should be doing, he began to pack up his things and pull out some food. It would be nice if I had something else then dried food. If only I bothered learning to cook. But I'd probably burn it horribly. My master always complained to me my lack of subtlety and intricacy in my magic. Perhaps if I learned cooking, it would be the same. He wasn't quite sure what to make of his thoughts. He had never consider learning any other skills except magic. Perhaps I should do so from now on. There was so much things in the world other than magic. Mona she is capable of so much more than just magic. He looked at her as he thought. Her hair was blown gently by an unseen wind and her steady breathing seemed strangely erotic. He blushed to realize just a moment ago he was completely wrapped around her like a lover. I need to concentrate and focus. He breathed in and out slowly and reclaimed a bit of his calm. "Trebin shouldn't be far since we are nearing the end of the forests. The main roads should be close by." He wondered if he should wake Mona.

Mona heard the talking as if from a distance and she forced her eyes to open. Where had the feeling of security gone? The strength and wamrth of arms around her had vanished and she frowned. She looked up to see Kant close by and she bit her lip to keep from asking the question on her lips, why did you stop holding me? She was silly! Showing such childish infatuation only served the purpose of showing her how involved she was with this other human being. And yet, he made her smile and think like a love-struck schoolgirl...

Kant looked at her lovely eyes and realized she was awake. "Good morning, Mona." Saying her name made him feel a stirring within. "I've got some food for you, and after your done eating we can start heading towards Trebin." Keep focused on traveling. I cannot spend any more time thinking of Mona. He quickly grabbed the food and handed it to Mona. "Sorry I don't have anything other than this dry fare. Cooking's never been my strong point." He twisted his ring back and forth as he waited for her to eat. It glowed softly green as it reflected the sun's light. This much magic seems so little compared to an entire world of it. I wonder why this survived and the rest of the world did not. Why the shamans? I've learned only a little about them. My master seems to respect them a lot, but I thought they were strange. Living far in the south performing a strange kind of magic. Why didn't I strive to learn more?

Mona nodded, rubbing eyes as she ate the food. "Good Morning..." She said groggily, trying to smooth out her hair. She finished the food and looked up at him. "Okay, I'm ready when you are..." She picked up her cloak and put it on, shivering slightly as the cold cloak touched her body.

"Okay lets go." Kant walked a bit and waited for her to follow. The night before seemed like a distant dream.

As they walked Kant asked a few questions, "So what did you do for the Historical Collegium? What are the native tribes relationship with you?"

Mona followed after him, reaching out to hold onto the edge of his cloak as she stumbled on a rock, distracted by the question.

"I studied everything. Anything I could learn from the natives, whether it was history or magic...some of the tribes have odd superstitions and I ended up writing many books and notes about them. They believe by spilling salt, you are inviting demons into your house...something about the fact that salt keeps evil away and that's why they dry their meat in it. That way the spirits don't come and take it."

Status
Not open for further replies.