The Lost Souls OOC (Private)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
His super eyes are magic, gifted to him by that tricky Fae crone. That's why I wasn't sure about it working on him. Hm...maybe the nature of the magic is that, even if he can't see, he still can't miss.

I'm going to go with the shooting stalactites trick, definitely. Will try to reply tomorrow.

Reactions: Razilin
How's that? Hope I opened for Hayato's time to shine.

BTW, we've spent half this one-shot RP on a flashback. When we get back to the main action I'm going to have Erika complain. "When is he going to get here? I feel like we've been waiting two weeks!"

What are we going to do about this group announcement? How do we save everything so Otherverse and Paraverse don't get deleted?

...Should probably have posted that in one of our actual groups.

One of those notification boxes you get when you log on sometimes where the admins let you know about a change. I just saw one this morning. Apparently we have until Aug 26 until the entire group section is erased for a new format. There will be NO IMPORTS! That means if we don't save everything Otherverse and Paraverse will be erased completely.

Well guess what

I've archived 90% of both just need a weekend or so to archive the rest

Shit, really?

Good. You know, I was starting to think that - worst case scenario - we would have to reboot.

Shit, really?

Good. You know, I was starting to think that - worst case scenario - we would have to reboot.
nope. I have hundreds of pages of Word documents with copy/pasted Otherverse and Paraverse stuff, organized by storyline. I'd be happy to email them to everyone once I'm done getting the rest.

Reactions: Quiet One
Wasn't against the idea of a reboot, though. Would've tried merging Hushcobb with Otherverse. That was what I originally had in my head when I first created my characters.

Wasn't against the idea of a reboot, though. Would've tried merging Hushcobb with Otherverse. That was what I originally had in my head when I first created my characters.

i'll send out a PM or OOC post to gwazi, lonewolf, and maybe a few people I know who might be interested in joining otherverse

but if we're rebooting (not a bad idea given the sheer amount of canon we have), then I propose that "Ultimate Marvel" style I mentioned in a PM to you a while ago

streamline everything

but when I got to thinking of about rebooting, maybe we should also merge our char ideas?

example: maybe instead of Archer/Rafael and Skullman/Sam being separate people, Rebooted!Skullman is still a world-trotting mercenary and martial artist, but instead of machetes being his weapon of choice, he's actually an archer with a high tech bow. rather than having antimagic powers, he's a completely normal guy like Archer was, but learned to make arrows that disrupted superpowers or something.

and I love the idea of Hushcobb being a cornerstone of Otherverse. it could take the place of the FIA and be a ton more benevolent in comparison.

----

EDITS:

just some random ideas for a rebooted, merged paraverse/hushcobb and otherverse

-the reboot begins in 2016, first generation style heroes only (i.e., none of the kids like Olivia, Natalie, Leon, etc.; if they are age-appropriate to be in 2016, like say Chiaki, Scott, and Jewel, they can show up but are their appropriate ages)

-the reboot should focus on being streamlined; we should make an effort to merge similar char concepts into something fresh and new, or be unafraid to take a new spin on a beloved char concept

-we definitely need to do a "common source" for superpowers, whatever that would be. maybe the ideas for this that we had in Paraverse can be just directly imported into the reboot. it was well thought out to begin with, vague enough to be whatever we need it to be, and got a lot of support from all involved players

-more definitive ideas/suggestions:

There's no Thomas Kowalski. Ryan Swiche is instead the autistic, yet high functioning, multibillionaire corporate technology mogul, engineer, and inventor who built an international company in his teens.

Bravado, Killshot, Gemini, and other mercenary-type/super-soldier type heroes are all agents of a US-sponsored black ops team: SPECTRE. originally designed for counterterrorism and assassination, they are highly-trained soldiers given cybernetic and chemical enhancements to give them the edge.

Il's arrival on Earth triggers EVERYTHING - the revelation of worlds beyond Earth, aliens, the fact that the ancient myths and legends have a large element of truth to them, that much of the mutations/magic/powers noted throughout Earth's history are all linked to the "common source" of superpowers. Hushcobb comes out of the woodwork to deal with Il's appearance. Il arriving on Earth will be the crux of the rebooted Volume 1 storyline.

Jeanne d'Arc isn't magically transported to the modern era this time around. she actually was burned as a witch. however, Hushcobb needed a superhuman with the abilities to help them defeat other superhumans. their newest recruit, the alchemist Raven Tallwood - who this time has Rania's prehensile hair instead of lightning - is tasked with finding a way to bring Jeanne back to life. no one actually expected her to succeed......

what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Quiet One
Hm...there are some classic elements to Otherverse I want to keep; sorcerers, the Biodynes, and the Galavar as examples.

In the potential reboot, Landel's Fire/Fire Initiative doesn't consist of Wyatt, Zeroth and Erika, but instead Cody, Derek, Natalia, Ryan, Maggie and Drake. Our Lost Souls characters are too good to get rid of, so maybe they're an example of the Fire/Fire Initiative that doesn't work out. Like they go rogue and become vigilantes or something.

I have an idea about the universe being hourglass shaped, with most of the universe in the middle - where we are - and two "poles" that make the Oververse and the Underverse: Heaven and Hell. Both these places are where a soul goes when they die; heaven as a temporary reward, hell as a cleansing of tainted souls before they get returned to the universe. The Barrage, for example, would have lived on the edge of the Underverse, explaining their demonic appearance. This also sets up for a new character to introduce - the Flint. All the dealings with the Devil are actually done through him, because he can travel to heaven, hell, and our world in between. He has no physical impact on the universe, but he does dealings for powers and soul trafficking, So Gilles de Rais' old demonic dealing to bring Jeanne back to life could still be done.

Maybe in the reboot Raven makes the deal instead, promising her soul or giving up her magic. This would mean she starts out as morally ambiguous, instead of a hero, however.

Matt Phoenix is friends with Nathaniel Crippling.

The sorcerers are still a merging of all sorts of different powers, culminating in fledgling gods. Maybe instead of just Galavar descendants they have alien DNA from multiple sources, including heaven and hell.

Okay with getting rid of Kowalski. Bye-bye, Tom.

Want to keep Il, definitely. And her arrival can be a set up for the first arc. This might mean our original first gen heroes will have to become next gen instead.

"Hm...there are some classic elements to Otherverse I want to keep; sorcerers, the Biodynes, and the Galavar as examples."

SOLUTION! We go the "Paraverse Atlanteans" and "All Myths Are Real" routes. The Biodynes and Galavar are kinds of Fae, in a sense - the ultimate expression of science and magic, respectively. Or maybe that would only work for the Galavar; the Biodynes could just be a straight-up alien race without any connection to the Galavar. The Galavar could still be the "common source" of superpowers, sort of how like they were the common source for magic in Otherverse. the point is, we keep them, but retool them into something mythical, incomprehensibly ancient, and slowly introduce their behind-the-scenes influence before they actually show up in the stories.

"In the potential reboot, Landel's Fire/Fire Initiative doesn't consist of Wyatt, Zeroth and Erika, but instead Cody, Derek, Natalia, Ryan, Maggie and Drake. Our Lost Souls characters are too good to get rid of, so maybe they're an example of the Fire/Fire Initiative that doesn't work out. Like they go rogue and become vigilantes or something."

-I actually think this is a great idea. Maybe axe Drake from Hushcobb and put him in that Specter black ops team I mentioned earlier. Add Matthew Phoenix as a founding member of Hushcobb, perhaps? Or even its director?

"I have an idea about the universe being hourglass shaped, with most of the universe in the middle - where we are - and two "poles" that make the Oververse and the Underverse: Heaven and Hell. Both these places are where a soul goes when they die; heaven as a temporary reward, hell as a cleansing of tainted souls before they get returned to the universe. The Barrage, for example, would have lived on the edge of the Underverse, explaining their demonic appearance. This also sets up for a new character to introduce - the Flint. All the dealings with the Devil are actually done through him, because he can travel to heaven, hell, and our world in between. He has no physical impact on the universe, but he does dealings for powers and soul trafficking."

-Hm. Let me think on this for a while. I do like the idea of a codified cosmology and the hourglass shaped universe is something very unique. Perhaps instead of the Barrage on a pole, its instead the Biodynes and the Galavar? Opposing ideologies, opposing ideas, constantly vying for balance in the universe...and the hourglass will eventually have to be turned over........

"So Gilles de Rais' old demonic dealing to bring Jeanne back to life could still be done. Maybe in the reboot Raven makes the deal instead, promising her soul or giving up her magic. This would mean she starts out as morally ambiguous, instead of a hero, however."

-Axe Gilles de Rais. I'd rather it be Raven doing the dealing. Maybe upgrade her from mere alchemist to an actual mage familiar with other fields. In fact, mages in the reboot don't have the "one magic type" restriction; they CAN be good at multiple fields, but most just prefer to specialize. Raven is different in that she is one of the few talented enough to master multiple fields right out the gate. Perhaps as a callback to Otherverse, she's studied Gilles de Rais' dark magic, poured through Merlin's writings, studied the Tantalus family's Gorgon magic...and thus became the mage she is today. I am rather in love with the idea of her being more ambiguous. She can me more of the sultry femme fetale as a result this time around. I always had Jeanne and Raven be a couple in contrasts; this just adds another layer to that.

"The sorcerers are still a merging of all sorts of different powers, culminating in fledgling gods. Maybe instead of just Galavar descendants they have alien DNA from multiple sources, including heaven and hell."

-GALAVAR AND BIODYNE DNA, YO.

"Want to keep Il, definitely. And her arrival can be a set up for the first arc. This might mean our original first gen heroes will have to become next gen instead."

-I fail to see how that makes first gen heroes into next gen. In my head, I'm seeing a few short story arcs involving Hushcobb (Natalia, Cody, Derek, etc), rogue Hushcobb agents (Anna, Hayato, Taka), new superheroes (whoever Gwazi and Lonewolf want to play, may include Specter the Black Ops Team, and Skullman). Eventually, Il arrives and shit hits the fan. In fact, Il's arrival is the reboot equivalent of the Battle of Boston - the big snafu that leads to a rise in superpowered activity (revealing the existence of superpowers can be optional, though).

Thoughts?

One at a time here:

- Galavar and Biodynes are Fae: yes to the Galavar, but the Biodynes were always meant to be a twisted evolution of their technology and power. The Fae family tree I started roughly putting together in my head has beings like the Crone and the Arancol as powerful, spiritual beings - the top of the hierarchy. Beings like elves, trolls, and so on would be lower tier creatures. Maybe the Galavar, along with the Gorgons and Il's many enemies, are part of those lower tiers, only the Galavar managed to defy nature by rising to greatness. They could be a Promethian race: creatures of progress. Hence their technological advancement.

So the Galavar can be a classification of Fae, but the Biodynes are different enough to not qualify, even though they belong to the family tree.

Axe Drake as Hushcobb member:

- Okay. The reason I put him there at all was because I wanted to keep the best enemy you brought to the table: Lorentz. I had pictured a battle in Afghanistan where Sam and Lorentz fought, Drake being a soldier on the ground and deciding to fight him, too. It would actually be Lorentz who gets Drake so badly injured that he gets the experimental nano-bot treatment.

If he's going to be a separate entity to Hushcobb, however, this is a perfect place to bring back Jade Wilson, our first ever presumptive badass. She'll be the director of his black ops squad.

Matthew a founding member of Hushcobb/Director:

- Yes to possible founding member, no to Director. That asshole Ferrara has the spot locked up. We need someone who has a prejudice against metahumans in charge to create dramatic friction. From Matthew it would be too hypocritical.

Shape of the universe:

- I mentioned before when talking about a potential Fae family tree that the first Fae was an actual tree like Yggdrasil. Rather than an hourglass, picture it like that: Hell is where the roots are, Heaven the leaves. Because I won't change the Biodynes from corrupted Galavar, their origin remains untouched. But the Galavar can be from heaven. It gives Mekanis a "Fallen One" vibe that way.

Axe Gilles. Make Raven summon Jeanne:

- Gilles was just an example. I never liked him that much anyway, since I thought his character had motivations too similar to my Emily. If Raven does the dealing to get Jeanne's soul, then that might necessitate the Flint. You'll like him, trust me. ;)

I want to point out that I would like Jeanne to have been powerless when she dies the first time. Her time in heaven and being sent back to her body instead of having her soul recycled is what gives her the powers. Also, was wondering if we could add center of gravity to her abilities and also limiting it so she only had powers when holding a weapon.

Making mages multi-talented actually brings me onto something I've been hesitant to bring up until now: wands. Think of them like magic remotes. They have certain spells stored inside them that can only be activated by innate magical talent. It can be a useful thing for the magically capable, but skill-challenged.

If we're going to make mages more powerful, fine, but then we'd have to establish new limits. Sorcerers are still the only limitless magic users.

Galavar and Biodyne DNA:

- As stated, it's pretty much the same thing.

The Start:

- if we start with Natalia, Cody, and our first gens, we can begin with Hushcobb recruiting them. I have scenes in my head for each one. Was also going to do a girl with plant powers, but never thought that character through.

Wasn't going to make Crossfire, Engel and Hayato rogue agents. Well, Hayato probably doesn't have a choice given the backstory we've set for him. But Cross at least was going to stick around. The rogues I meant were the freaks of the Lost Souls, Erika, Wyatt, and Zeroth.

i'm vacationing in Las Vegas this weekend, will reply when able, but don't expect much productivity until i get back!

K. Thanks for the warning. Don't go bankrupt.

back from vacation. posted!

i tried to go for that classic ninja scene: a guy draws his sword, ends the move, nothing happens for a second...and then things die, fall apart, whatever.

to the Arancol!

Little sad we never addressed the monster's fear of light, but glad we could move to the boss. Will try to think of a reply.

Thoughts on my suggestions? And if we do a reboot, there's someone who I've been trying to convince to come on. He's had trouble with groups, mostly with running them. Told him how we sort of take turns with our many arcs. He's not sure, though, so might not be a problem.

Little sad we never addressed the monster's fear of light, but glad we could move to the boss. Will try to think of a reply.

Thoughts on my suggestions? And if we do a reboot, there's someone who I've been trying to convince to come on. He's had trouble with groups, mostly with running them. Told him how we sort of take turns with our many arcs. He's not sure, though, so might not be a problem.
i'm on a warpath with catching up on RPs.

let me get a feel for whats going on with lonewolf and gwazi before i put out my ultimate decision on rebooting

i havent had a chance to trawl through para/otherverse yet

Yeah. And we're all very behind on otherverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.