The Lost Soul

"It's not either-or; it's both," he replied. "It's just so…impractical!" He sighed dramatically. He paused before asking, "do witches ever hunt the witch hunters?"

Ebony hummed a little. "Sometimes. It seems though that they often have the upper hand, whether that be because of information or sheer luck."

"Hmm. And how do the hunters get the information? Witches?"

Ebony nodded. "Witches and wizards who no longer feel a kinship with their own kind, or were betrayed, or simply do it for fun."

He snorted. "You'd think that smart witches and he-wizards would figure out the ones who were selling their information."

Ebony shrugged. "They often do know. But these witches and wizards were rejected for a reason."

"That sounds like a personal problem," he replied, stuffing his face with a cookie.

Ebony chuckled. "I would expect nothing less from you."

Once he was done, he put the cookies back where he had got them from. They were worth preserving.

Ebony flicked his tail. "Satisfied?"

He nodded. "I guess so. I mean…I'm not really hungry anymore, so…yes?"

Ebony hummed a little. "Good, good. We can't have you still being hungry while under Raine's care."

He gave the cat a strange look. "Well, I would hope I wouldn't go hungry under anyone's care, witch or not."

Ebony chuckled. "True enough." He looked up at a bang coming from upstairs.

He looked up, finally registering that Raine was upstairs. He looked back to Ebony. "I didn't see her walk in with anybody. She doesn't have to smuggle people into her own house," he said as he rolled his eyes.

Ebony chuckled. "Is that what you think it is?"

He shrugged. "I dunno. After being up there and seeing all the doors and stuff…I don't even have a clue what she could be doing up there."

Ebony chuckled again. "Apologies for disappointing you, but can guarantee that is not what that noise was." Another bang and the whisper of a voice could be heard.

This time, he chuckled too. "Are you sure about that? Cause…it's either that or…?" He paused. "What's the other option? The thing she's actually doing?"

Ebony shrugged. "A potion probably didn't work out or something."