The Lost Legion (Military Sci-Fi with Eldritch Horror elements)

When would you like the story to start?

• Right after the sattelite crashes (party must decide where to go).

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • An hour after the sattelite's crash (mist has covered area)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • A day after the sattelite crashes (party has found shelter amidst mist)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FeastOfPerversions

Edgebabby
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. Multiple posts per week
  4. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
Currently on all days
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Douche
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Science fiction, post apocalyptic, occult horror, war
LeftAlive-6.jpg

Lore Repository

Discord Channel

IC Thread

Character Sheet Repository
--------------------------------------

We are eight active players now! Feel free to sign up!

--------------------------------------
Hey there Iwaku folks!

Are you interested in a far future sci fi roleplay with horror elements and an emphasis on gritty details and personal choices? Do you like a mixture of intense, tactical combat, eerie otherworldly atmosphere, and intricate if accessible worldbuilding?

Do power armour, plasma guns, eerie aliens, and gritty tactical combat make you happy? Are you a fan of Halo, XCOM, Phoenix Point, WH40K or the Doom reboot or Titanfall and so on?

I've got a roleplay idea to satisfy anyone looking for an intense action/horror/adventure heavy experience. It requires weekly posting and at least decent English and writing skill. Keep on reading if you're interested.

The Year 3056 is not a very happen one in a particularly distant corner of known space.

Eight long years of savagely internecine violence. Innumerable casualties stretching far beyond official records. Scores to settle with mass graves the size of small cities. The harshest conflict of the Frontier Worlds, the brutal civil war engulfing the large Caracosa Nation-Sector of the planet Chalgheol, is finally reaching its end.

As the proxy warbands, rogue militias, loyalist militaries, and fanatical insurgencies supplied by two duelling superpowers, the Assembly of Solar Republics (ASR) and the Pan-Celestial League (PCL), slowly settle into territories carved out over a near decade long conflict, their benefactors converge for a joint peackeeping operation. It is a rare show of unity but its purpose is less than glorious. It is merely a formality as both determine who will reign over the hollowed cadaver of what was once a proud country.

It is a time of immense tension as the heavily human populated PCL negotiates with the various alien nations of the ASR, a number of which once were under their rule. Taking a prominent seat at the negotiations is the Carnazir, one of the few local non-governmental militant groups viewed as "legitimate" across multiple systems, that has taken assistance from both superpowers yet remained dedicated to its idea of forging its own nation through the ruins of the old.

DBPexCgXkAAmflh.jpg
At a shared border zone in the wilderness, three patrols (Carnazir, ASR, and PCL), enter a tense standstill as a crashed reconaissance satellite-drone lays sparking and shattered, its barely functioning communications modules rapidly transmitting unintelligible signals and interfering with the electronics of these already tense soldiers.

Before a single shot can be fired, a white mist forms on the horizon and frenzied, panicked communications erupt over all their coms. Unknown aggressors opening fire on diplomatic transports, pacified areas re-erupting into conflict, and reports of an unknown black-armored militant group assaulting key strategic cities and transport routes.

They are the last transmissions the three patrols hear before communications cut off and the mist begins to near them. The nearest city is a few hours away but it's right through where the strange gas is starting to overwhelm - an area not truly secured. The city outskirts are no less welcoming now that any friendlies within them have suddenly gone dark. The nearby military base is under control of a heavily armed cyborg militia nobody wants to go near.

You are a member of one of these patrols.
Your survival is unlikely.

line_infantry_by_proxygreen-d56nb0x.jpg

In The Lost Legion, you play as a member of the Assembly of Solar Republics, the Pan-Celestial League, the Carnazir, or a mercenary/rebel/contractor/etc. affiliated with them caught up at the tail-end of a civil war when an unknown mist employed by an insidious new enemy threatens to usurp the fragile peace while it's still in its cradle. Your leaders and command chains are no longer in the picture and your only allies are your old enemies or benefactors who only supported you for their own ends. Your objectives are simple at first - find a way to escape whatever terrible cataclysm is in the making.

Along the way however you will make discoveries of hidden plans by all forces involved that will test the appearance of unity behind all factions in this war. You have not only rogue chaosmongering warbands and power-hungry armies to watch out for but bizarre, ethereal life forms native to the region. They have become increasingly aggressive due to the mist and the strange shadowy army utilizing it to enforce their still unknown machinations.

Do you want to play a hardened autocannon-wielding bioweapon revolutionary whose eight eyes can each track and analyse individual targets? Go for it. How about an arcane reconaissance scout wielding magnetic-acceleration rifles and ethereal powers with equal expertise? Why not? While "magic" (which will have a different name) exists in this setting, it does so as a background element and as a force of nature (or the supernatural really) that has been rigorously studied and implemented into everyday use.

You'll encounter various forces stranded or wandering in the mist - maybe it'll be a peacekeeper group that seems a little too conveniently close to an oppositional political party's hideout, a crashed transport ship of civilians carrying a convicted terrorist in their midst, or even unusual alien fauna exploring this world equally confusing to them. Some may be friendly, others outright hostile, but you have many options with which to fight, negotiate, avoid, recruit, or bargain with the various people and entities you will encounter. Be wary however; they may have plans of their own.

76350134_p0.jpg
For all you oldfarts who were around for Soldiers of Misfortune and Dissentities (haha titties) wayyyyyy back in 2010, this RP takes elements of both and puts them into a context that's more focused and also allows for more freedom in your choices and how the plot progresses. While there are some limits on the sort of "space magic" and far-future technology available, this is not a hard sci-fi story either.

It takes elements and inspiration from sources like Warhammer 40000, Infinity (Wargame), Crysis, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, and even Doom together for an experience meant to have a wide appeal and able to be taken in a variety of directions. Due to the fact that you can recruit new NPC's on the fly, this even allows new players to join easily as characters picked up by the players' party.

This is mean to be around intermediate to advanced in terms of the complexity involved in the writing but I am not opposed to myself and others unga-bunga-ing their writing for the sake of clarity. Since it is taking place in a pretty brutal civil war where various acts of a very-not-legal nature have happened, it will feature fairly unpleasant imagery and situations meant to test or reveal your characters' moral fortitude. So far I am thinking you can control a max of two characters but that may change with time.

Magic functions somewhere between a less zany 40K and a more eerie version of Mass Effect's biotics. While your characters are allowed to be fairly powerful, so are your enemies and I expect players to be willing to take the hits (and some very nasty hits mind you) and roll with the punches.

As it is still in the planning stage, I am more than willing to brainstorm with anyone interested on whether it's the setting, the rules, the tech, and other flashy bits as well as answer any questions and hear out any suggestions. I'm sure a lot of you have wonderful ideas of your own and I would be more than happy to hear them out. If you are interested, please let me know in this thread. I am also on the Iwaku discord and you can add me on that app at GraveyardOfTheInnocents#2592 if you would like to discuss it there.

(PS we have mecha).

of_flesh_and_blood___and_steel_by thedrowningearth.jpg

Attachments

• 76350134_p0.jpg
    76350134_p0.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Spicy
Reactions: Ur Degaton
Never done an RP with a focus on war and Sci-fi before. I'll give it a go.

What's the highest-rank our characters can have?

• Spicy
Reactions: FeastOfPerversions
Never done an RP with a focus on war and Sci-fi before. I'll give it a go.

Happy to have you on board! If there is anything you are unsure of or wish for clarifications on don't hesitate to ask.

Majors or equivalent though how it affects the story may differ. Not all allied forces will necessarily be friendly even if on the same side and even if so, the command chain across the various factions gas been shattered in places.

I don't know why, but a character like Colonel Radec from Killzone came to my mind for this setting. A loyal almost single-minded soldier who wants nothing but the best from his troops as they complete their task. Merciless to foes on the battlefield, and to underlings who fail to honor their faction. Menacingly calm, speaks in a sly, sometimes polite, sharp tone. He has a sense of honor towards warriors (hates not being on the frontlines) and would rather be killed than captured. Maybe that's just because I want to play a villainous character for a change. Not sure what faction he should go to yet.

What level of writing and such is expected I want to make sure I'm not way out of my depth.

@KJDarKnight

That's completely doable. The tech in the setting is fairly advanced but it can greatly vary depending on the particular background of the character. After all, insurgents don't often have access to the most up to date technology while many armies still use older generation weaponry and equipment. Though whichever faction is villainous is really up to you. Each one has their own reasons for being involved but they are not monolithic voices.

@Rads

What are you generally comfortable with? I'd say around two to three paragraphs minimum is nice though you should think less word count and more of specific details. As long as you make your actions clear and their intended effects, it will be fine. As I will be the GM throwing scenarios and horrors your way, I will be rambling on more than most as I do have to lay down most of the nitpicky details. However, none of the players are obliged to match my word-spewing tendencies.

@Ur Degaton

Perfectly fine. Given the nature of what kicks off the story (the crashed sattelite) it would make sense that there might be personnel of such a calibre and designation there to investigate.

Anyways to all of you I will be making a post with a hopefully concise overview of each of the three factions later. Thank you for expressing interest! Do not hesitate to keep asking or to make any suggestions!

Last edited:
@KJDarKnight

That's completely doable. The tech in the setting is fairly advanced but it can greatly vary depending on the particular background of the character. After all, insurgents don't often have access to the most up to date technology while many armies still use older generation weaponry and equipment. Though whichever faction is villainous is really up to you.

@Rads

What are you generally comfortable with? I'd say around two to three paragraphs minimum is nice though you should think less word count and more of specific details. As long as you make your actions clear and their intended effects, it will be fine. As I will be the GM throwing scenarios and horrors your way, I will be rambling on more than most as I do have to lay down most of the nitpicky details. However, none of the players are obliged to match my word-spewing tendencies.

@Ur Degaton

Perfectly fine. Given the nature of what kicks off the story (the crashed sattelite) it would make sense that there might be personnel of such a calibre and designation there to investigate.

Anyways to all of you I will be making a post with a hopefully concise overview of each of the three factions later. Thank you for expressing interest! Do not hesitate to keep asking or to make any suggestions!
I have add and dyspraxia so my grammar and such isn't perfect but I will do my best.
I can do semi detailed to multi para depending on my mood and the flow of the rp etc.

@KJDarKnight

That's completely doable. The tech in the setting is fairly advanced but it can greatly vary depending on the particular background of the character. After all, insurgents don't often have access to the most up to date technology while many armies still use older generation weaponry and equipment. Though whichever faction is villainous is really up to you.

@Rads

@Ur Degaton

I have add and dyspraxia so my grammar and such isn't perfect but I will do my best.
I can do semi detailed to multi para depending on my mood and the flow of the to etc.

That will be fine for our needs. Do you have an idea of the character you would like to create?

@KJDarKnight

@Rads

@Ur Degaton

I can do semi detailed to multi para depending on my mood and the flow of the to etc.

That will be fine for our needs. Do you have an idea of the character you would like to create?
Combat medic with a cybernetic left arm don't want to go to cyborg

Combat medic with a cybernetic left arm don't want to go to cyborg

Every good party needs someone good at patching up everyone else. Good call.

• Thank You
Reactions: Rads
As of now, this is our playerbase or rather people who have shown interest:

Rads
KJDarKnight
Kjbivins
Ur Degaton
Soverign
LoveandHate91

At 6 people that could be 2 per faction minimum and I think it is a good starting amount but I will not complain if we get two or three more. I am still working on the lore post as well as a CS guideline.

Color me intrigued. I'd love a good detail oriented sci-fi military thriller.

• Love
Color me intrigued. I'd love a good detail oriented sci-fi military thriller.

The more the merrier! I'm actually preparing the third faction's overview now.

Character Sheet Requirements

Name:

Height: (For sanity's sake, the maximum height is 12 and a half feet)

Species: (You are not obliged to choose a species in the races list in the Lore Repository. You may make your own if you wish but do consult me. If you do use your own, please give a short rundown of it if possible. If you are using a robotic character as opposed to a cyborg, you do not need to do that.)

Faction Alignment: (You *must* choose between the Carnazir, ASR, or PCL)

Physical Appearance: (Describe and/or use an image)

Skills and proficiencies: (What are they especially good at? Don't pick *too* many. Include any augmentations whether cybernetic, ethereal, biological or otherwise. Include any species-related perks as well from the Lore Repository)

Personality and Background: (2 – 3 pragraphs minimum. Make sure you explain why they are with the faction of your choosing!)

Ethereology: (What ethereal abilities both active and passive do they have IF they have them? You are allowed two starting out.)

Strengths: (Don't go overboard)

Weaknesses: (Four minimum. Can be personal, physical, combat related and so on)

Starting Weaponry, Armour, and Equipment:

(You get to carry a maximum of three main ranged weapons initially, two secondaries, and either two smaller melee weapons or one medium and one small. For miscellaneous gear and equipment there are less restrictions but be reasonable.)

Last edited:
Name: Vaygus Maul

Height: 7 feet tall. Though sometimes walks with a hunch

Faction: Pan-Celestial League (contracted employer)

Physical appearance: (modifying it a bit to have a body covering grey robes. With lining of red and yellow. On his physical body there are etchings and text than not many can read. If asked he will say they are the holy words of the divine. Prayers of power and strength when needed on his body)
1592438322197.png

Skills and Proficiencies: A master tinkerer and builder Maul can repair machines and weapons with incredible ease. As one soldier would know how to clean their weapon seamlessly he could achieve the same seamless efficiency in maintaining and improving tech. With his highly modified platform he can engage combat in many styles with his most often seen gun glaive. Using speed and strength are impressive but by no means unbeatable. His main strength besides fixing what he desires is his mind. Intelligence and cunning are useful beyond what a simple gun can provide. His arms having a lot of plating on them house a battery of equipment. His fingers can switch between dozens of individual tools to repair tech and help him in his duties.

Personality and Background: Maul began as Gabriel Maul. A head strong yet loyal young man. He was friendly and though held a small but acceptable belief in higher powers he was a soldier. A warrior with distinction who found his true purpose as a mechanic. He had been apart of a rather large engagement and was maintaining a battle mech that had sustained critical injuries. In fact the mech was so damaged he was able to stop if from overloading only by the slightest of margins once before getting a seal over an opening in the reactor chamber. If this example showed only slightly was that once he decided on a path it would be done or over his dead body. Unbeknownst to him this was just the decision fate or whatever being had decided when the reactors seals broke and it detonated in transit. Gabriel was not killed by the blast but by no means did he 'survive' it either. Nearly a limbless husk of a brain dead soldier he was in an infirmary and saw dreams of what occurred and his life.

But as he was about to accept his fate and try to die he was brought before an intelligence. Benevolent and it seemed to know his intentions or desires to pass on. he saw no man or women as many had described. He saw instead an outline of a machine. Angular shapes showing its form from the light behind it. Instead of letting him pass it pushed thoughts into his mind and spoke. Gabriel heard words that made a comatose near dead man awaken. But there was cost to such a return. A cost Gabriel willingly gave. Instead of flesh he was steel. Instead of skin he had armored plating. And the being echoed a name in his mind. Not its name......but his new one. He was to be known as Vaygus, the first worshiper of the all crafter. The molder of steel and designer of the perfect paradise. From here on all who asked of his real name or if they knew it was not he only referred to Gabriel as his savage name. And Vaygus his holy name.

After this he walked from the med wing and found his mind introduced to pure truths. As he would understand the religion he found the world more clear. Machines had souls. The machine soul had to be saved of all he could save. And make new ones if possible. Realizing that when one put personality to a machine over time it would develop one such personality. Apparently humans had done this for centuries. And thus wrote the divine text The Holy Designs. A book of incredible scope that details everything in his religion. From speaking to the Divine Crafter to awakening a machine soul. With the sacred text with him at all times he often recites prayer and to the confusion to others this helps complete his duties and more. Though he is tolerant if some decide to insult and even attack his religion and he is working for them he is not against helping them meet their end. By direct or indirect means. Diplomacy is desired but by no means is he against bloody conflict. Along with seeing machines as equals he sees those who have robotic implants or cyborgs as those in need of uplifting. Helping them reach their final shape. Seeing the best chance of getting tech he accepted a contract of employment with the Pan-Celestial League. Though he cares little for the League it helps him achieve his goals. He helps maintain and improve their tech. He keeps some and gets first grabs on new discoveries.

Etherology: He is able to recite prayers and they may have varying effects upon reciting them. Any will have more effect if given to machines but they can help mortal flesh though it depends of implants or if they are at all enhanced by integrated tech. These prayers vary from helping sooth a machine soul to protection or empowering others. The prayer and scripture engraved on his plating and body if read correctly has the chance to immediately take effect on the reader. Though again machines and augmented individuals have the best chance of this.

Strengths: Intelligence, Strategy, Unwavering devotion, Determined, Utterly Ruthless

Weaknesses: Doesn't often follow common command structures, sometimes overly obsessed with his duties, temperamental to those who abuse their machines, often kills those who insult or try to take what is his

Starting weapons:
1592441482047.png
The explosive shell gun glaive named Creation's Maw is a weapon Vaygus designed and keeps for his personal use. You will rarely if ever see him go anywhere without it. One person tried to purchase the very same gun glaive off of him. The only response he received was the blade being swung and cleaving him in two at the waist.

1592442884706.png
Yet another creation of his the Plasma anti material rifle is a powerful mid and long range weapon. The regenerating Plasma coil can over heat then will need to cool and after can continue firing. Though if the energy core runs out it will need to be recharged by an exterior power source or replaced with another core.

1592443049698.png
His final firearm is a Explosive round pistol. However this weapon is rarely seen. It is stored within a compartment on his hip. A similar compartment holds his holy text on the opposite hip. But this is only drawn if nothing else is available. Or someone is in need of holy execution

Name: Heidon

Height: 7 feet 6 inches tall

Faction: Pan- Celestial League (contracted Employers)

Physical Appearance: Robes are as seen and not like Vaygus's. Physically more powerful and has more armor plating than Vaygus
1592446403306.png

Skills and Proficiancies: He is remarkably skilled in combat and many lethal tactics. Unlike Vaygus he is more of the military solder mindset. Upon getting orders he will complete them any way he can. Sacrifice whatever needed to defend Vaygus. He looks at Vaygus as a mentor and as a close friend. But by far he is the more.....reasonable of the two. Where Vaygus had to go at it alone often being brutal in his diplomacy due to having nobody else beside him, Heidon was the assistant to this change. When there was Diplomacy he often spoke for Vaygus unless the high priest desired to speak for himself. And often can bring down tempers even the high priest if one really was yearning to die by him. Though he is more friendly of the two once a threat to Vaygus is identified he will not hesitate to slaughter every being in front of him to safeguard his charge.

Personality and Background: Heidon though known at the time as Hector is a top of the line military man. Or at the very least he was. He was a soldier that could undertake any action and with cunning and determination get it done. He had a larger build than most before his rebirth. Broad shoulders, and a physical form fit for a soldier. However he had suffered from an artillery strike on his position. He knew it had been danger close but the shell nearly exploded exactly on him. Thankfully large piles of debris helped muffle the massive blast. But it also made that very cover he was using topple and crush him. He was near death when someone found him. He had asked about his team even though he was on death's door. But the individual simply shook his head, opened a book, and began to chant. Praying something he couldn't hear nor understand as the translated words began to mix with machine communication distortion. When he passed out he awoke in a small building and a machine over him. The machine introduced himself as Vaygus Maul. And due to his prayer and work to keep his flesh alive he was able to divert his mind into a computerized form. Then placing him in a body similar to his own.

Having been told of his situation Vaygus Maul addressed him as Heidon. Having learned his name by his dog tags he instead used this name. Upon questioning Vaygus explained how he had survived. By the holy gift of the Divine Crafter he had been given life anew. His new name being evidence of his new gift of life. Though his life was now his to do what he wished the newly named Heidon offered an eternal service to Vaygus. And vowed to be his protector as they went to try and free souls they could find.

Etherology: Passive battle ability allows him to scan the environment. There is always a subsystem active scanning and looking at the place and people he is around.

Strengths: Physical Strength, Speed, Strategy, Diplomatic, Adaptive

Weaknesses: Slower due to bulk, lacking in stealth, if using his etherial ability more frequantly it can be tracked. Has not fully mastered his abilities to remove being tracked.

Starting weapons:

1592447911036.png
A high fire rate machine gun this weapon has been modified to fire both normal and armor piercing rounds.

1592447988084.png
This explosive round weapon is Heidon's 'Ace' weapon. Having yet to find anything to have survived long under its sustained fire. Being able to at least partly pack itself up he can carry it attacked to his back. Then quick deploy if needed.

1592448181190.png
Divine Intervention is the sidearm of Heidon. The highly powered plasma pistol can fire devastating plasma shots. Able to detonate and take out small vehicles or weapon emplacements. Best against armor and plating