Status
Not open for further replies.
Shlan Fletcher - The Coalition

"Says the only one not on his feet," Shlan said with a light chuckle as she passed Tristan. Moving across the rooftop, she made her way to the door into the building proper. Inspecting it for a moment, she pulled out two of her directional charges and placed them on either side of the doorway and hit their primer switches. Pulling the remote for the charges from a pouch on her belt, chain catching the sun as it dangled between the remote and her belt. Flipping up the cover, she double checked that the indicators for the two charges were yellow before flipping the cover back down and pocketing the remote.

She wasn't looking forward to the idea of needing to cut off their escape, but if the target got past them as they delved into the building, then better to have been have the option to collapse the doorway available than otherwise. "'Kay, I'm ready to go as well."

Stacks of Boxes

Focus. Focus. Focus. Forget what happened earlier, you're on the battlefield now. Focus.

Box Copter repeated the mantra for last half of the trip to the wasteland, chewing on some nuts from her bag. She was storing additional energy in case something bad happened. Everything always went for the worse, and this time she could feel the tension in their transport. She avoided looking at anyone, especially Bob and Kiku. Once they arrived at destination, she was one of the lasts to get out. She quietly watched as they all divided amongst the buildings. The woman bit the inside of her cheek, like she always did when she was nervous. She removed the swabs in her ears and put on her adoptive father's vintage gas-mask; she was not one to be taken by surprise by the nasty fog.

"Box in, any injuries and y'all let me know – don't wanna be bringin' back nasties. Box out." She conveyed the message to both the Old Guard and the Coalition. Her medkits were ready in her backpack, which she carried with her over her bullet-proof and blade-proof armoured vest. In her feet were light leather boots, ideal to move around silently. She took hold of her loaded pistol, removing the safety on it. The cold metal in her palm helped her calm down, and she slowly felt today's burdens slip off her mind. She remembered Devin's words about keeping his daughter safe, and instead of going along inside the building, Box swiftly verified the outside perimeter and disabled any traps she could find.

Even though she was relatively calm, if she were to hear a gun shot, or screaming, she would be quick on the trigger, causing potential friendly fire. At the moment, her top priority is to keep anyone from getting too close to Carolyn's tank, friend or foe.

Florence Morgenstern - In the Darkness...

Florence had kept quiet during the journey towards the apartment complexes, silently following along behind Eve and Lillian while the rest of the group remained in the APC. As they made their way to the second floor of the apartment, all she could think of was how glorious it was to be in Eve's presence, and how much she wanted to bask in her divine light again. She would prove her loyalty to her holy Mother, one way or the other. When Eve turned to Florence and that odious weakling Peter and asked what they thought they should do, Florence took a brief moment before answering. "Well, Mother, I would normally follow along with whatever plan you may have had for us, but since you've asked for my humble opinion, I'll oblige you. I think we should go in, grab Ezekiel, and get out as fast as we can. The sinners and their heathen minions outnumber us, and as much as I'd like to sow the seeds of discord among them, I'd rather not run the risk of putting your divine personage in danger." Having made her thoughts clear, Florence merely smiled and waited for a response.

You Gotta Work Hard to Get Forward – Gabriel Desrochers
Gabriel had come to the conclusion that if he wanted to do anything with the research of those samples, he would have to cooperate and get his name in with the Coalition. The first thing was to find the man who interrogated him; Adrik Ivanov. Surprisingly, asking around, it wasn't very hard to point in the right direction. Unfortunately, he had to walk there; given transportation was not a thing he wanted to risk again. And it wasn't such a long walk, it just would have been easier to get over there by some means of vehicle that wasn't a helicopter.

He'd eventually get to where he was told Adrik would be, and he saw the food line. That… certainly not what he expected. The engineer here didn't spend so much time outside the workshop that belonged to his family. There was always lots to work on and plenty more to learn on whatever developments they held. He had a very ignorant position on most of what was happening, just do to lack of knowledge of the current events. Regardless, he was surprised to see the line. It wasn't what he was here for, however.

Moving past it, he saw the armed guards at a door, which seemed to be the people he should ask. Gabriel approached, if not a little hesitantly, until he'd be faced with them. "Say…" He began, a little nervous. "… Would this be where I could meet Adrik?"

The two guards look at each other curiously. One then taps his helmet, presumably activating a communicator. "A man is here to see Adrik." A few uncomfortable moments of silence pass, as the guard receives instructions, and nods. He taps his helmet again. "Come inside. He is waiting for you in the back." The door opens as he finishes speaking, allowing Gabriel inside. The door shuts behind him as others start to wander curiously toward the door, likely hoping to be able to skip the line for food. Inside, his senses would be assaulted with the smell of cooking, and the sounds of constant talking--men and women running to and fro between kitchen, supply room, and line up area.

Jenive notices him walking in. She's out of her usual uniform, instead dressing far more casually. She smiles and nods her head as she motions toward a small, back room. Inside, a single lightbulb hung from the ceiling, lighting the barren room up. There was a simple wooden table and two chairs, upon one of which sat Adrik. The man pulls the cigar out from between his lips and exhales, blowing smoke out toward the lightbulb. His eyes then fall down to see who was entering. "Gabriel... I thought you more an Old Guard man. Cannot say I find it unpleasant to be wrong. Come, sit. Are you here for a job?"

The silence wasn't helping the Nervous Gabriel, who was fidgeting where he stood. The realization of what he was doing slowly creeped up on him, though he was there; no point in turning back. It was only once the guards said he could come in that he untensed. He walked forth into the busy place, seeing staff going around and doing what they could for the people who asked for food... His ignorant views were coming to hit him, seeing such an act. Maybe they weren't a dick-ish as he assumed them to be.

One of them smiled and nodded to him, pointing towards a door... She seemed familiar, like he saw her from whatever madness they came back from, but couldn't put a name to her face. He nodded back, adding a simple 'Thanks' as he walked forth to the next room. Strangely enough, he felt that same kind of fear from when he was interrogated in this kind of room, alone. Worse yet, he was faced with his interrogator.

Gabriel took a second to compose himself after Adrik spoke, a quick breath leaving him. "Can't deny that I'm a regular partisan of theirs..." He approached and took a seat as instructed. "... But the Old Guard doesn't have what I want to work on to fight the Orange Fog." There was no point lying to this man. "You have samples of the fog and, I can imagine, a lab to work on it. I want in of the research and development... Though I know I can't just 'One, Two, Three I'm in'..." His face tightened a little. "... Especially not with what I said last time we spoke. So, I want to show my trust, see if you guys would need a willing pilot for something, then a willing engineer to work with the samples."

"A man with a goal." Adrik puffs on his cigar and blows the smoke out once again. He licks his lips, and glances at the ceiling with a chuckle. "I can appreciate that." The man leans on the table, and momentarily puts his cigar down so he could speak a little more freely. "You might anger some of your friends... You sure you want to do this, comrade?"

Gabriel took a deep breath in, then another one out. Leaning over so his elbows lay on the table, he look straight to Adrik, nodding. "If they get angry at me for trying to help the bunker survive, let them be angry. Rather it be the Old Guard or the Coalition, I'm here to make things better, not to decide who has control where." His fingers now laced together, thumbs circling nervously. "So, yeah, even if I piss someone off, like the Quebecois say: Qu'y eille au diable (They can go to hell)." Gabriel kept as straight of a face as he could, but he showed signs of discomfort, even when Adrik seemed to lighten up.

"French?" Adrik mutters with a small bit of confusion, before he shrugs and sighs, and continues speaking. "Fair enough." He leans back, seeming to let Gabriel relax a little. The chair he sits on creaks as he rests his arm on it. "One of those creatures from the fog has found itself ambushed by U-ARM forces. It was wounded badly and seemingly left for dead by its brethren, we have satellites tracking it as we speak. It's gone into hiding in a structure, an apartment complex." He picks up his cigar and starts smoking it again, letting things sink in for Gabriel. "We're going in with The Old Guard to take it. We're going to study it, and interrogate it. Learn what we can. If they're foolish enough to abandon their own outside of their fog, we'll make it count for everything it's worth. The fact that we are disrupting one of U-ARM's apparent objectives is simple bonus at this point. You understand, yes?"

He flicks some ashes off the end of his Cigar, and continues speaking. "Meet us at the bunker entrance, this evening. Earlier is better. We're going in, we're taking it, and we're leaving. Simple operation. Simple objective. Do that for us, and I'm sure I can get you access to samples of fog. I have no intention of getting in the way of a man with a mission." He offers a handshake to Gabriel. "Deal?"

"French." He replied simply, knowing it was just a detail. Now, however, Adrik came to explain the situation, which finally had the pilot relax. His shoulder dropped slightly, and Gabriel paid close attention on the information given. The mention of the U-Arm had him shake his head. "Religious bastards... I definitely get it with them." He whispered through his teeth.

Gabriel, once the man was done talking, could finally afford a smile. He stood from his seat, and leaned it for a firm handshake. "Deal. I'll get suited up with my helicopter ready right away." Given this calmer interaction, he finally eased up completely. "Anything of note I should know? Heavy defenses? Resistance? Fortifications? I want to make sure the helicopter is suited for the task."

"It is U-ARM we are dealing with. Expect explosives, RPG's, and high calibre firearms to be your biggest troubles. Maybe even a tank or two." He glances up at Gabriel with a raised eyebrow. "This evening, comrade. Don't be so early as to give us all away, would you?"

So it wasn't going to be just a pick-up and run. There would be a lot involved, maybe even some death. "Sounds alright. I'll pack the heat needed then." He said as he went for the door. Hearing not to come too soon had the man nod. "Just give me a time you want me there by, and I'll be there." This evening was very vague, and if they needed to be 'early', then it was best they just give a precise time than something so vague.

"1800 Hours." Adrik replies with, nodding in approval. "Good to ask for specifics. Anyone can answer a question anyway they like unless it's specific."

-------------------

Working for the Coalition Part 1 - Gabriel Desrochers
It would be the first time Gabriel was going to serve as a strike helicopter, targeting whatever the Coalition members tell him to shoot. It seemed like Adrik had forgotten about what he had said at the interrogation room; he would not shoot other on order… Well, to a certain extent. Yet, it seemed like it didn't matter now: he needed those samples, so he would do as he was asked.

Looking to his ATS system, he had already registered those who were willing to be recorded into the system as to not be targeted if he needed to go into Hostile mode. Others… well, they were warned of the prospect. Though, it shouldn't come to it if he had some eyes out there. He'd be looking around the building and keeping the Auto-Cannons and Mini-guns ready. The Bunker Busters shouldn't need to be used, but they would remain available.

Once all the weapon systems were in-check, he would report in to the only person that he should really communicate with this mission; Jenive. Gabriel used the manual typing system, since the radios were probably already tapped on.

Weapons are hot. Systems ready to knock down targets. Patrol starting.

Gabriel would make sure to keep in movement and also have the targeting system try to spot and identify targets that are unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
"There's no time for us to move forward—we need to hold this passage 'til the others get back. The lives of fifty men is no laughing matter, Morai."
-Hewitt Zeigler, Page 2​

Building Layout

Each floor is comprised of ten rooms. Each room is a bachelor suite—one main area between 400-600 square feet, and a small bathroom. The rooms themselves come with small windows, with most either having damaged or outright destroyed glass panes from a lack of maintenance. The rooms are each numbered, the first number represent the floor, and the second number representing which room one is in. Odd numbered rooms are on the east side, while even numbered rooms are on the west side. Thus room 301 is on the third floor facing the east side, and room 302 is on the third floor facing the west side, and so on.

The floors, while weak and making unsettling creaks underneath the feet of those who travel upon them, seem just stable enough to maintain integrity.

There is a northern staircase and a southern staircase. Both are made out of a firm concrete, which has weathered the years well, though there are cracks which imply that sustained firefights would be a poor plan.

There are exits to the northern apartment on the fifth and third floors via makeshift wooden & aluminum bridges, and to the southern apartment on the second floor. They are accessed via large, broken windows that run along the staircases both north & south on each floor.

The Old Guard

As the squad checks through the first floor, they would find a myriad of small bachelor suites. Inside one, Bob would find a few children's toys, and signs of a struggle that ended within the past few hours. The blood on the walls seemed to hold an odd shimmer to it, in spite of the lack of light within the room. It was clear that either U-ARM or the entity they were pursuing had cleared this room of the people who lived here, and judging by the one sided carnage, that it was likely poorly equipped scavengers who had the misfortune of facing either side. Oddly enough, in spite of the blood, there were no sign of any bodies.

As the squad finishes searching the first floor, Kiku would feel a powerful presence. Not as powerful as the mutants she had felt in the fog, but powerful enough to convince the more animistic side of herself to caution. It was clear that there was something above them, but she couldn't determine which floor. Nonetheless, she could hear a series of footsteps above them—something had entered the second floor, and was moving rapidly...

Hewitt finds similar signs of carnage as Bob did, but does find a single corpse. The corpse—vaguely feminine looking, though badly butchered by what looked to be gunfire—was tucked up against a wall. It seemed the body was moved after perishing, and left with a small stuffed animal in her arms. Judging from her size, she was perhaps no older than fourteen. It was, perhaps, the sign that someone who had survived, mourned her passing.

As Box turns the corner to the south side of the apartment, entering a small alley to investigate for traps, she notices figures traversing above herself. At least three, who were merely one floor above her. All entered the apartment rapidly, save for one, who motioned for Box to stay quiet. There was a soothing feeling from this figure, though they all wore what appeared to be Coalition armour. As the figure darts into the apartment, she would hear Carolyn speaking to her on the radio. "Box? Go inside, I'll be fine. We need more manpower inside the building."

Catheryn, meanwhile, is easily able to ascend to the sixth floor. It seemed most of the traps inside the structure had decayed to the point of being harmless—what few she had encountered, anyway. Behind her, another soldier followed. A short man, wearing a gas mask. He waves as she reaches the sixth floor and starts setting up. "I was ordered by Zan Richards—er, Squad One's leader—to follow you up here. He doesn't believe in sending people around alone... And uh, I guess he just wants me out of his hair? Anyway I'll uh, I'll shut up now ma'am." Due to the amount of time necessary to reach the sixth floor, she doesn't see anything out of the ordinary by the time she sets up her position.

Squad One comes onto The Old Guard's general frequency, with Zan Richard's voice showing a hint of irritation. "Targets spotted coming in. I think we're about to be welcomed by our old Freedom-loving friends. We'll hold as long as we can."

The Coalition

Carter would reach his position with ease, and as he finishes setting up, one glance through his scope would reveal one figure entering through a make-shift bridge between the southern apartment and the target apartment, on the second floor. He only got to see it for a second, so he couldn't make out any details about it, but he at least was able to confirm that it had been there. Underneath the bridge stood one of The Old Guard's soldiers, a masculine-looking, dark skinned one at that. It appears The Old Guard had seen it too.

Russell, Tristan, and Shlan would all find themselves on the roof with ease, along with a pair of masked Coalition soldiers, and Jenive. Jenive puts her helmet on, and taps it to briefly test her communications, before she nods at Shlan. "Well done. Let's move in, now." She motions to the door, and the two Coalition soldiers kick it down and move in. She moves in after them, motioning for the others to follow her. "We'll search the sixth floor, work our way down, and meet The Old Guard forces on the third floor. They're supposed to work their way up the southern staircase, we work our way down the northern staircase. Stick together and watch your asses." As she finishes issuing this order, she takes a position on the fifth floor, by the staircase—keeping an eye on it while the other two Coalition soldiers start searching the rooms.

Above them all, Gabriel would see nothing in particular that was all that thrilling. It seemed rather oddly calm, in spite of the tension. Yet, he could see The Old Guard's Squad One from his position in the air—taking combat positions and preparing for something coming toward them. He could either hold his position and focus on protecting The Coalition's forces, or move ahead and give air support to their tenuous allies.

Children of Eve

"Very well." Evelyn replies, as she ushers the group of four across the bridge. Peter crosses quickly without any hesitation, though Lillian keeps protectively close to Florence as they cross. As they finish crossing and enter the second floor, they would see Evelyn hesitate, and motion for someone outside, beneath her, to stay silent. She then enters behind them and looks between them—a sense of overall concern being felt by all. "We were spotted crossing by one of the lost children. Perhaps she will listen to me, but, perhaps not. Get to room 305, quickly." Lillian nods, and ascends the southern staircase to the third floor, with Peter and Evelyn quickly following her.

It took mere seconds to reach room 305, and sure enough, inside, there was a bald man, with oddly perfect skin, sitting with his arms around his ankles. "Ah, there he is... Wounded. Frightened. Alone. One of my children..." Eve states sympathetically as she looks at everyone. Without saying a word, Lillian guards the door. "Peter, guard outside with her. Florence, come inside with me. Stay away from the window."

The bachelor suite was barren of furniture, and inside to the right of the window was a large suitcase. "Retrieve that." Evelyn asks, calmly, as she approaches Ezekiel.

Red Star

Ozymandias finds little of value or note in each room he searches. Yet, it was completed rapidly, so as he reaches the southern end of the building, he hears through the tapped radio Jenive's instructions to her squad. As does the rest of Red Star's squad, as Morai motions for the group to descend the southern set of stairs to the fourth floor. If they kept up their pace, they would be able to make it without concern. Yet, Morai breaks radio silence to issue his own instructions. "If we find nothing on the fourth floor, we will move into room 406 and hide. Listen to their radios. If worst should come to pass and they acquire the entity before we do, it is preferable for them to think we were never here. Understood?"

Last edited:
Carter

Carter let out a sigh as he caught the last glimpse of a figure entering the building from the second floor. Not enough time to line up the shot and punish the fool for running out in the open. Having missed the opportunity, he angrily slammed his fist onto the table before immediately looking towards the other second story windows, hoping for someone to run next to one. Seeing he didn't have a target he spoke into his radio, sounding out right pissed off, "This is Carter. Someone just ran into the second floor from the southern apartment. Didn't see how many so keep your eyes out. They are probably going up." He paused a moment, thinking about the situation for a moment. "Try to draw anyone into taking position near a window if you can. If you can't, try to give me a good bead on where they are inside. My rifle can put holes in drywall like they aren't even fucking there."

The entire time he gave his advice, he watched the windows of the upper floors through the scope of his rifle. He kept both eyes open to try and maintain as much of his peripheral vision as possible. He just sat there, slowly scanning the windows for any dumb ass to stick their head out. His finger resting gently on the trigger of his rifle. He was itching for a clear shot. Even though he had all the air, tank, and infantry support in the world he was nervous. They hadn't seen any resistance, and he had been through the wringer enough times to know that the longer it took for the pressure to pop, the bigger the bang would be when it detonated.

Last edited:
Florence Morgenstern - There was Light

Florence was pleased with herself. Evelyn had chosen to go with her plan of action, and now they were getting closer to rescuing Ezekiel. Little by little, she was proving her worth and devotion to her holy Mother, and that was all that mattered to her. As they crossed the bridge and entered into the building, Florence couldn't help but notice that Lillian had stayed close to her, as if to protect her from any unseen adversaries, and a thought crossed her mind. I wonder, Lilium, if Mother wanted you to protect me, or if your reasons were more carnal in nature. While the thought was intriguing, there were more important matters to focus on, such as getting to Ezekiel before the sinners did. That was especially important, now that Evelyn had been spotted by one of the sinners while they'd been crossing the bridge.

Once the group reached the third floor and room 305, Florence followed Evelyn inside, keeping away from the window as instructed. If there were any snipers around, she didn't want to end up in their sights by going near the window. When asked to retrieve Ezekiel's equipment suitcase, her response is to simply say, "Thy will be done, Mother", before moving to grab the suitcase with her cybernetic right arm. Sure, she had to keep Brimstone sheathed while she grabbed the suitcase, but she still had Hellfire in her free hand, and that was good enough for now. Everything was going according to plan, as far as Florence could tell, and it was all because of Evelyn. She had willed it, and God's will ruled supreme.

Cathryn

She didn't respond to the grunt who had followed her. She remained utterly still as she focused on all the noises around her, ready to defend Miss Antoinette at any second. Hearing Evelyn from before made her wary of actually firing a shot, but her resolve crept back in the longer she watched the building. Fragments of conversation floated up to her, but nothing that she thought she needed to immediately respond to. Cathryn adjusted the grip on her rifle to relax her fingers, but otherwise resembled a statue more than a person.

Ozzy replied to Morai's orders with another affirmative radio click and continued to search the rooms. The lack of results began to heighten his caution. There was no sign of their prey, their margins of success were growing thinner, and most importantly, their chances of failure widened.

Kiku - The Little Scout who Could

As the search of the bottom floor concluded; Kiku found herself freezing up in the sudden sensation of…of what? Was it fear, or caution, or excitement that ran its fingers up her spine like the unexpectedly cold touch of a lover? No matter how difficult the feeling was to describe, it put her on edge. Hearing the footsteps overhead was enough to rile her up even more, as she felt her finger reach out for the Carbine's trigger.

Kiku reached down and grabbed her radio, switching the frequency to the Old Guard's frequency, as opposed to the shared frequency she used before. "Contacts on the floor above. Advancing to the next floor, don't look for me." She said, as she then switched off the radio and focused on her Listener's quirk. Within a couple seconds, she was invisible and ascending the southern flight of stairs, moving in to check the second floor. Her first thing was to check the floor for any obvious traps, before she went to check the floor at large. She'd be sure to keep her vision-mutation live; so as to keep an eye out for anything that might try and surprise her, or that might share her skill-set.

Russell steps forward, descending into the sixth floor, making a quick sweep of the hallway just as the transmission from the team's overwatch comes in. He frowns ever so slightly, before switching his comms to the shared frequency. "Come in, Carolyn Antoinette, this is Russell Johnson, affiliate of the Coalition. Do you have any squads already deployed to the southern building? Our overwatch spotted someone entering the building on the second floor and I was wondering if it was one of yours." His instinct is telling him something is not right with that mention of forces on the second floor. The Coalition had none deployed to that area, which was unsettling.
"It was not." Carolyn replies bluntly. "Perhaps U-ARM is bringing company sooner than expected. Refer to your CO on what to do."
Russell frowned under his helmet, muttering under his breath. He then turns to look up at Jenieve, speaking directly to her without the radio. "Jenieve, permission to advance to the lower levels? We have a third party involved, and the objective may be compromised."
"We'll head down there after we finish searching the sixth floor." Jenive replies. "It will take us seconds to get down there. Finish your job here."
"Understood." Russell would reply, coldly. Something bothered him about the news of the extra forces below, but he simply followed orders, moving to clear the floor.

Jack-In-The-Box

After receiving Carolyn's message, Box takes about ten steps back from the window she saw people vanish into. Three, two, one… the woman sprinted the short distance and just before she got under the makeshift bridge, she pushed herself off the ground with all her strength, her arms reaching out. Her fingers catch onto the wooden board, and she yelps in pain as her short nails dig in. With difficulty, she pulls herself up on the board and catches her breath on all fours. Box looks around her to see if anyone saw her jump, but seeing nothing she swiftly walks on hands and knees until she drops into the apartment.

She takes a deep breath through her gas mask and focuses on enhancing her hearing. So long as the walls were not made all of concrete, she would be able to hear through doors before opening them, as though she were in the room. She would listen in and try to follow the group she saw earlier.

An Opportunity Like Any Other - Gabriel Desrocher

Circling around the building with much of anything to look at certainly was a soothing sensation. Even if he served as a method of systematic destruction, it was still better he kept whatever ammo he had unused. There was no telling how expensive just shooting one rocket would be. Shells for the auto-cannon and miniguns weren't of that much concern. However, his task had him looking around for potential trouble, which he did spot as he did his rounds; walkways from other buildings.

Certainly, he had some interest in the activities of the Old Guard, but that wasn't what he was asked to do; he wasn't going to get involved (at least not yet). Instead; he would report in to Jenive about his findings, wandering if she wanted them to be taken care of or something else. Again, he would use the typing method to communicate as to not let their conversation be tapped into.

[BCOLOR=#000000]Walkway spotted. One north side building - 5th. One south side building - 2nd. High explosive shell and minigun ready. Destroy assets?[/BCOLOR]

One word returns, presumably from Jenive. "Confirmed."

[BCOLOR=#000000]Roger that.[/BCOLOR]

Gabriel would go at that with methodical thinking; for each of the walkway (time permitting), he would launch a single shell into whatever supported the walkway from the buildings NOT being searched, as to do minimal damage to the building the Old Guard and the Coalition are searching. So, he used his miniguns to weaken the structural integrity that supported the walkway from the central building being searched.

Of course, he'd keep an eye out not to shoot down any allies that would try to walk out.

Hewitt Ziegler
@Holmishire.

The big man couldn't help but let his guard down as he came across the kid's corpse. He could only assume this was U-Arm's work—what little he had seen of the fog-man gave him the impression it wouldn't be using bullets. Still, such brutality seemed extreme even for those fanatics. Perhaps she was a listener?

Hewitt rose to his knees, well aware that he didn't have time to pay respects to the dead.

Having completed his search, he found himself at the northern staircase. He imagined Bob was likely in a similar position down south. "First floor's clear on my side. I'll be waiting on standby at the northern stair of the second floor. Kiku, if you need back-up—make some noise."[/hr]

This entire mission made Aleksa's stomach churn in ways she didn't thin imaginable. The Coalition had directed her out here, and she bulked up the armor on her tank before heading out. They were chasing a thing, at best, and the U-ARM stood between them and it. The Old Guard was being helpful, but beyond that Aleksa was without much information. When everyone reached there, they split into varying groups. She send her tank with the cover guard. Quite frankly she had the fire power and the maneuverability, via drones, to do so. Her tank crunched along, and she was stuck thinking about what had led her here. Adrik had been personal and welcoming. There were very few people within Chicago that spoke her native language. IT was that unfortunate draw that led her here. Still, she had to admit, they promised to protect Priss. Her daughter was her world. And yet—

Aleksa was both exhausted and anxious from her interrogation. She left the building wringing her hands. Things were not looking well. She was used to failed missions, but there was something different about all of this. She felt like she stood on the precipice change within Bastion Chicago. But where would she stand? And how would she stand? She shoved those thoughts to the back of her mind as she made her way to her tank. She stowed it away in its sanctioned and guarded stockyard. Afterward, she made her way back home. Maybe she moved faster than usual. Her battle armor creaked with every hard step she made. It was made to handle to ballistics, not the power-walking of a concerned mother.

The Volkov shop sat on a corner. Its store front was neatly organized, but the CLOSED sign was very obvious over the reinforced door. Aleksa wrestled her key from her jacket and unlocked the door. She locked it behind her as she moved through the organized store. The cash register was missing its tray, and everything worth anything was locked up nice and tight. She passed all of that and took the stairs to their home. She barely got the door open when Priss wrapped her arms around her.
"Mama!" she exclaimed. "You're fine." Priss took a step backward. "Why didn't you tell you were fine? It's been hours since everyone came back. You didn't. No one knew where you were. Ithoughtyouweredeadohmygodyoucouldhavebeendead." Priss's words began to slur as her hyper Listener powers went into full throttle and blurred her speech.
Aleksa laid a hand on Priss's head. "It's fine. I was called away to relay what happened."
Priss looked up. She didn't really look like Aleksa. Her skin tone was darker, her eyes were brown, and her hair was a curly mess that was pulled into a lazy ponytail. She looked a lot like Edwin. "You usually don't do that."
"Well, things were different."
Priss jerked away. "How different?"
Aleksa frowned. She wrestled with the thoughts in her head. Inevitably she exhaled and smiled. "We were under the command of a different faction. They have different rules. That's all it was."
Those brown eyes bore into Aleksa's gray ones. "Is that it?"
"Of course, sweetie," Aleksa lied.

Aleksa's mother appeared about that time. She old, with stark white hair, braided back, and enough scars and wrinkles it could form its own map. She still caught Aleksa's eyes and smiled. There was a life behind those eyes that was indomitable. "Dinner is served. Priss, dear, set the table. Aleksa, could you join me in the kitchen?" The small apartment was cramped but it had a division of walls between the kitchen and the dining room. As Priss darted between the china cabinet and the table, Aleksa and her mother spoke in private. Aleksa gave a brief, and heavily edited, account of what happened. Her mother shook her head.
"More so," Aleksa said. "I don't think I'm getting paid for this mission. It was a complete failure."
Her mother wrung her hands. "We can't have that. You're the largest source of income here. The shop and Priss's courier routes are not enough to pay for this. You have to find a steady income and fast."
Aleksa sighed. "I was offered something like that."
"Then take it."
"I don't know if I want to. It's all very embroiled in politics, мама." She slipped into Russian. While the word was very similar to English, she said it with an accent.
"If it puts food on the table for your mother and your daughter you must." Her mother then slipped into Russian, speaking quickly about how her father had done regrettable things supporting them when they grew up.
Aleksa sighed and gave a prostrated response in Russian. She couldn't hear Priss dart around anymore. Her daughter didn't know a lick of the language, and so they were safe speaking this way.
"Very well, мама." She paused. "You know I always do what is best for the family."
"I know." Her mother patted her cheek. "This is why you were always so much stronger than the other men around you."
"Do not speak ill of Edwin."
"I was not. But it would help—"
Aleksa shushed her and then received a glared from her mother.
"Do take this, though. It will help you." Her mother took off a necklace from the sheer amount she wore wound her neck and slipped it over Aleksa's. It was a small metal pendant with an engraving of a man carrying a child across a river. Her family was very religious. Aleksa may not have been, her mercenary jobs requiring her to be surly, but she knew Saint Christopher when she saw him. He was the patron saint of travel.
Priss burst through the door about that time and wrapped her arms around Aleksa's waist. "Come on, Mama. Let's have dinner. I made the bread."
"You did? That is quite amazing, Priss. You kneaded it and everything?"

Her daughter pouted. "Fine. I bought it and just cooked it."
"Well, I applaud you for not burning it."
"Well. I burnt it… a little."
Aleksa smiled and drew her daughter close, giving her a soft kiss on her head. Priss squirmed but inevitably let her mother do so. It was the small things.

- - -​
The knot in Aleksa's stomach as she approached the soup kitchen was akin to the Gordian kind. She felt like joining a faction was not the brightest move, but at the same time, she had very few options. She needed a steady paying income, and she needed knowledge on the impending attack on Bastion Chicago. She'd left out all of that when talking to her mother. The woman had only heard about the failed mission and the lack of pay. Aleksa hadn't mentioned the consequences of the aftermath. Honestly, there were only so many burdens people could handle, and her mother had shared enough.

She'd spent the past week shining up Ole Scarlet. It always needed a good cleaning after battles. More so, she ran diagnostics to make sure the EMPs hadn't fried anything and done permanent damage. The diagnostics ran fine. Aleksa knew she had to find a workaround for the EMPs, especially if her adversaries would wield them so willingly. Yet, she didn't have the spare change for that. So, for now, she made sure that her automatic and manual modes worked just fine.

Aleksa clenched her fingers into her palm as she walked towards the long line of the soup kitchen. Eyes fell on her as she passed them. She wasn't in her battle attire, but nothing that she wore alluded to a similar class of people that were around her. She'd worn her best suit, it was dark, fitted, and had a flair of red running through it. She wore her hair back in the braids that Priss liked to knit, and she'd applied a few homemade cosmetics. They were mostly about making her eyes look brighter than they were. Edwin had always called them a stormy sea right before a hurricane. Aleksa always hated that.

The door that quite obviously declared Coalition work was the one that she entered. She didn't need lodging or food. What she needed was a familiar face and the assurance that when things went tits up, that someone had her back.

Aleksa smiled against the smoke. "I like a few more aromatics in mine, but I still enjoy a good cigar." She slid her arms behind her back and let her smile rest. "I'm here for work, Mister Ivanov. Those words you spoke to me a week ago. Well. I've been thinking about them. There's a lot of truth there." She brought a hand up to the Saint Christopher pendant around her neck and rubbed it. "And I'm interested in fighting back."

As Aleksa enters the small room that Adrik was in, she would find a hand on her shoulder. She's pulled back by a rather angry guard, who winds up a swing to punch her down, before Ivanov growls lowly. The guard hesitates, and looks at Adrik. The slavic man speaks, in Russian. "Away with you, fool. Don't let another slip through your post so easily." The guard lets go of Aleksa and takes a step back. Still, Adrik seemed more amused than annoyed, as he motioned to a chair opposite his own. He takes a puff from his cigar, and exhales slowly. He switches back to English. "You are? Sit then, close the door behind you. We have much to discuss."

Aleksa was caught off guard by someone dragging her backward and then inevitable wind up. She'd been so in her world that she was just looking at signs and doors. Nothing in her mind spiked at the presence of guards. She thought they were to dissuade fights in the food line. Well. She had been wrong. She braced herself. She'd been hit before. The best thing was to go limp as not to give too much resistance.

Yet, the man that interrogated her earlier forced them to halt and berated them about Aleksa's sudden arrival. Embarrassment compounded onto of embarrassment. She tried not to turn red at the accusation of being some wandering tourist, but it was hard. Still, her mind anchored onto the fact he spoke Russian, and she understood it. The guards apparently understood it as well. "Спасибо," she said. Spah-see-bo or thank you.

At the man's words, she closed the door, glad to put a barrier between her and those men. She straightened her clothing before sitting down. "Apologies about that. I was more lost in thought than I should have been." She crossed her legs and placed her hands in her lap. Her posture was straight but not stiff. "I'm rarely on the punching end of guards." She smiled. "I'm ready to help."

"Hm." The man grunts as he stares at her, coldly looking her over. "You speak Russian? How well?" He asks, in Russian.

Aleksa didn't know what to make of the once over of her body. What? Did he think she was hiding notes about Russian? Ah. It was probably to make sure she didn't have any weapons on her. That was fair.

She started speaking, in clear and fluent Russian. "All my life. My mother would smack me with a wooden spoon if I didn't speak in the native tongue. And I wouldn't know a damn thing about them if I hadn't." She brushed a piece of hair from her face. "I honor the Volkov tradition of being a stout Russian native in a non-Russian world. I can also cook dishes from home when I have the right ingredients."

"Ha! Noble Russian woman, noble Russian wife. Strange to see you fighting on front lines, but these are strange times we live in. You should have more kids when you can, though. These wastelands could do with more Russian blood in them." He replies in Russian. He seems to change the subject quickly, however, as his tone turns more severe. His eyes grow colder as he starts to speak of other, more important things. "I have a job for you. It is dangerous, but, important. Are you sure you wish to join our side? There is no turning back beyond this point."

Aleksa gave a soft laugh, and her entire conversation was held in Russian."Noble, yes, by my mother's standards. Though, I am no one's wife, unfortunately. Still, I'm very noble for upholding the family tradition." Her smile softened. "I would enjoy not being on the frontlines, but we do what we do for family." Her cheeks tinted pink. "Well, yes, I wouldn't turn away making more Russian children, but, ah, many men aren't interested in women my age and my occupation. They're not especially keen on keeping them Russian." She leaned in. "What about yourself? I bet you've produced some lovely Russian children. If not, perchance I could help in that." A wink followed that. It probably wasn't in her best interest to flirt with her future employer, but he'd quite frankly started that.

Yet, his tone made her want to resend that wink. Things moved into a more business-like territory, as it should. Her smile faded as she slid into practical stoicism. She promised to save the city, and she would. "I know what I am doing," she said. "Danger aside, I know this is the only option and the best option. I want to help."

"Here is what we know. I will give you the short version." Adrik starts, as he takes another puff from his cigar, and speaks in a chilled manner, his eyes showed none of their earlier emotions. He does, however, continue speaking in Russian--their shared mother tongue. "An entity left the fog. We started tracking it with satellites, and it was attacked by U-ARM. It fended them off, but ended up wounded. It somehow knew we were watching it, and went into hiding in a small apartment complex. It is in a part of the city ruins where the fog has yet to spread. Its allies have not come out to help it, we do not know why--perhaps they leave their weak to die."

Blowing smoke out toward the light bulb, he continues speaking. "Regardless, we are going on this evening to capture it and interrogate it. We will likely encounter and fight U-ARM, and we will be working with The Old Guard's forces for this mission. Meet us by the bunker entrance at 1800 hours, take your tank. Personal advice? U-ARM likes big shock and awe weaponry. Heavy hitters. Expect more rockets, and high calibre weapons. Be sure to shine up the armour on your tank if you haven't already."

He puts out his cigar, and a small smile manages to grace his lips, though his eyes remain cold. He switches to English. "I have not had any children. Men of my line of work rarely do... Not that I would object to changing that."

U-ARM, that was a name that she hadn't expected to hear about. They existed within Bunker Chicago, much like mold exists within ponds. They aren't the whole, but they did provide a large deterrent. Aleksa was religious in a sense that she knew her God, and she knew her saints. Yet, she kept that to herself, keeping it locked away with her personal thoughts. It was never thoughtful to someone their outlook on life was wrong and that you held all the answers. What if you didn't? U-ARM violated that solidarity. They were as aggressive as they were annoying. Aleksa had heard about them and avoided them like she avoided alleys that were a bit too dark.

She leaned in and listened to his words intently. There were a lot of unknowns here. This wasn't much better than the mission she left a week before. Still, whatever had burst from the fog threatened them all. "U-ARM resitance?" she said more than asked. "That makes sense. Things cannot go somewhat poorly, they must fully dive into the deep end." She actually had harsher words to say about that, but she kept it within the limit of polite conversation. If her father taught her anything about politics, it was to show her disdain like showing her cards in a poker game--only to her benefit. "Their pride will be the death of them. I saw little of what was in the fog. It was enough to make me know that I needed to rely more on my faith to protect me."

"I repaired and updated my tank from the last mission. I'll see if I can apply any last minute armor mods. My tank is pretty armored as is. But, one can never be too self-assured." The edge of her lips drew upwards. "Thank you for the warning, I'll make sure to divert power to protection."

Aleksa mentally keyed in everything Adrik said. She might lose a few small things along the way, but she had the things he emphasized in lockdown. Priss wasn't going to enjoy her leaving so swiftly, and her mother was probably going to groan about her sudden disappearance. But she was doing it for her family, and they would accept that--someday.

Adrik's next words caught her off guard. She was just being playful and coy. She had so few chances to be that when speaking
Smoke drifts from the end of his cigar still, as, at least momentarily, Adrik seems to consider the offer. His smile falters a little, as he stands up from his chair and nods politely. "Another time, perhaps. It is best not to hope for things until after the dark over this colony passes, and that will not be for some time." He pauses a moment longer, his eyes remaining cold, yet there was a hint of warmth in his voice, as it turns to a hush. "If any of your family has mutations, ask them if they can hear the whispers. If they can, send them to our laboratories immediately. There is something in the colony that is taking the more curiously minded mutants and making them disappear... Or... They come back, but they don't act right. None of their families know who they are anymore, it's like they aren't even living in the same world as us." He steps around the table, and grasps Aleksa's shoulder. He looks into her eyes, his grasp firm but not rough or coarse like one might expect. "Trust nobody." He steps out past her, and speaks in Russian to one of the guards--telling him that he needed a few minutes of fresh air outside before taking the next recruit.
"I can't make out what much is going on. Give me coordinates, though, and I can fire an artillery volley. I can also provide cover with drones. I don't wish to get them too involved. So, please request them at your own discretion." She hesitated. "Though, if you feel threatened… I won't bat an eyelash to offer backup even if it destroys them."

Shlan Fletcher - The Coalition

Shlan paused her search of the rooms as Carter said his piece. "Thanks for the heads up," she said, "but two things. One, it's a concrete building. Good luck getting a bullet through that. Two, beyond your mystery guest, this building is full of allies plus one guy we want alive. Please shoot second, ask questions first. Thanks. Fletcher out."

Easing open the next door, Shlan felt at home. Eyes peeled for traps, ears straining for threats. Mind racing through potential ambushes, exit routes, places to hide. The ever present tension and wariness that had been instilled into her when she was a child. The tension that had never left, not even when she had settled down in the Bunkers. No matter how much her mind told her that she had been safe there, her body screamed otherwise. A life time of conditioning doesn't just go away as soon as things are peaceful.

Here, however, where mind and body were in agreement of the risks, she felt calmer. Returning to her roots, as she did every time she took a contract out in the wastes. Finishing her search of the room, it's dusty interior holding nothing of note, Shlan made her way back into the hall. "Think we're good up here," she said into the radio. "Ready to move on down when everyone else is."

Last edited:
Tristan Sovres - It's Too Quiet

Tristan followed the rest of the Coalition soldiers down into the apartment complex. He nodded when told to search the rooms, and one by one he tenuously opened the doors. A paranoid part of his mind raced with who could be hiding behind the doors, some U-ARM with a shotgun, a mutant that would dissect his corpse. Suddenly he shook his head, trying to dispel the thoughts. Thankfully, the search was somewhat uneventful, each room holding similar things. Tossed about bedsheets, destroyed appliances, and rubble littering the floor, it truly was a depressing place. Did people used to live here? Perhaps, though he figured it was less nasty than this scene before him. A cold wind chilled him, making the place seem more unnatural than it actually was. "All clear, ready to move to the next floor." he said at last.

Bob didn't spare any time mourning the apparent dead. His bet was the mutant target of the mission had eaten the people, but maybe that was just some inborn bias against mutants speaking. Kiku's callout of targets above drew his attention away from the so far fruitless search of the first floor, and he made his way toward the southern stairwell while chiming in on the Old Guard radio frequency. "I'm headed up the south side. Call out anything y'see, folks." Bob kept a calm pace as he ascended to the second floor, still looking out for traps. He intended to take a careful look on the second floor, but if nothing was visible aside from Hewitt on the north side or Kiku prowling around then he intended to keep on heading right up. He had a real bad feeling about the fact that there were other people above them in the building, in a place where the Coalition couldn't possibly be if they'd followed the plan, and he wasn't about to let some outside group of assholes get away with the prize today.

"As much as I'd love to teach you about the holy fires of God, O King of Kings, it appears that we have more urgent matters on our hands. The western flank needs to be guarded while we retreat, and guard it we shall."
-Florence Morgenstern, Page 3.​

The Old Guard

As Kiku reaches the second floor, she would feel the entire structure shake due to blasts outside. It sounded like the helicopter overhead had opened fire on something, and one of the wooden bridges leading to the building is shredded just a few feet behind her. As the smoke and dust quickly clears, she would be able to see Box, curled up on the ground by the south staircase window. Her enhanced hearing had amplified the loud noise behind her to a headsplitting degree, leaving a coating of dust and a few splinters of wood atop her, but otherwise, unharmed. Kiku, being invisible that she was, couldn't be seen by Box.

There is otherwise not much she can find on the second floor, as the presence she felt was now a floor above her—somewhere on the middle of floor three.

The radio crackles to life with a very angry sounding Carolyn, as the helicopter takes out the second set of bridge planks. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING JENIVE?! Try that again and I'll put a BULLET IN YOUR HEAD!" She pauses, then switches her com channel to Old Guard only. "Everyone, regroup at the southern staircase and get to the third floor. If they don't call out their air support again, get out of the building, because I'll bury them in the rubble."

Outside the apartment, the sounds of combat reach Catheryn's ears. First Squad was officially engaged with another faction's forces—likely U-ARM, from the sounds of things. "Keep your attention on the apartment Catheryn. U-ARM may try to jam our communications, and if that's my last order, I want you to follow it to the letter." Carolyn orders. As she issues this order, Catheryn would notice some movement on the ground in the northern apartment—two in particular, who wore painted light body armour, who seemed to be trying to set up a large device aimed at Carolyn's tank.

The Coalition

As they finish searching the sixth floor, the building shakes underneath their feet as Gabriel's helicopter opens fire on the make-shift bridges. It was an old structure, and wouldn't likely take the abuse of modern firepower for long. Carolyn's angry voice barks out across their radios as Jenive winces. On The Coalition's channel, she speaks out two orders. "Gabriel, cease fire! I never gave the order to fire in the first place. Watch what you're doing, or we'll lose our tenuous alliance. Recovery team, group up at the northern staircase and move down to the third floor." She then switches to her universal com channel. "I never issued that order Carolyn. Blame that trigger happy dog of the sky." A momentary pause follows, then Carolyn's response. "Learn how to lead, or get the fuck out of my operation. You won't get a second warning."

Jenive sighs as she descends down the stairs first with two other Coalition soldiers in tow. As they reach the third floor they see two Coalition soldiers guarding room 305. Without hesitation, they kneel down and open fire, riddling one with bullets as the other dives with surprising speed into room 305. Jenive goes back on her radio. "Room 305. Carter, keep your sights trained on it, take a shot if you think you know where they are, but beware hitting the prisoner. We have--" She stops as the communication line is filled with music, effectively jamming the frequency. Turning off her radio, she glances around and yells. "We're being jammed! They must know our communications. TURN OFF YOUR RADIOS!"

Meanwhile, outside, in a sudden burst of yelling and gunfire, Gabriel, Aleksa, and Carter would see U-ARM forces jump out from the northern apartment buildings on both sides of the street and open fire. Carter would quickly come to the realization that he might not be alone in his building anymore, and as Coalition forces settle down behind cover and start to open fire, a pair of surface-to-air missiles fly out of the northern apartment toward Gabriel's helicopter. A clever movement on his part manages to avoid one, but the second one hits. Smoke starts pouring out of his propeller as a red engine light alarm lights up in his cockpit, some of the smoke starts entering his cockpit. His engine was dying, and he had another minute or two of flight time before it would likely die.

Children of Eve

As Florence recovers the suitcase, she would be able to see Evelyn kneel down in front of Ezekiel, and as her hand rests upon his shoulder, Florence would see Evelyn's hand press into the clothing, into the flesh behind it. A small hint of merging could be seen as Eve's orange eyes seem to flicker with a moment of recognition. "Remember." Ezekiel takes a deep breath as Evelyn then pulls her hand back out, shaking it out. It was as though her hand was a simple construct, and she willed it to be whatever she wished.

Ezekiel slowly stands up and nods, glancing toward Florence. "Another of your children?" He asks with a soft tone of voice. "Soon." Evelyn replies. Before they can continue their conversation, the sound of bullets racing down the hallway behind them rings in their ears. Evelyn turns in time to see Peter drop like a rock, dead from gunfire. Lillian had taken a round, but as Florence watched, in seconds, the bullet is pushed back out of her, with a little orange liquid leaking out of the wound before it rapidly closed. Lillian looks at Florence and smirks. "Soon enough, child, you will learn how to be immune to the simple tools of sinners." She then looks up at Evelyn. "They destroyed the bridges out. We are surrounded."

Evelyn smiles, in a sickly sweet sort of fashion.

"I know. Help is coming. Hold this room for a short time, and then, soon, the Children of Sodom will see how pointless their resistance really is."

Red Star

As the group hides in room 406, they can hear others moving quickly down the stairs to the third floor. As ordered, they wait and listen in on radio communications, briefly hearing the sounds of a strange, antiquated musical arrangement before the transmissions cut off. Wisdom comes back on the communication. "I managed to get The Coalition to fire at The Old Guard, destroying the bridges. They are just about ready to rip out each other's throats now. If you can get to the second floor or lower, the northern apartment has a sewer entrance. U-ARM came in that way, we will leave that way, and kill their leader along the way if we can. Our target is likely in room 305. That is where Jenive said they are. See if you cannot get above them. Oh, and I do not think I can get you accurate communication interception for The Coalition anymore. U-ARM's methods of jamming are crude, but... Adequate."

Morai looks at the rest of the squad and nods. "We will wait a few seconds before moving into room 405. Línghún jī, you will break us in, we will grab the prisoner, then you will take us to the second floor. Pin, Yankee, you two will cover us as rear guard. Omega, you will watch my back while I grab the prisoner." He taps his bayonet. "I can ensure it comes with us one way or another. Wisdom, use your drones to keep them blinded long enough for us to get out. Even if you have to sacrifice them, we can get more." Wisdom replies, quietly. "Roger." Morai sighs and places his hand to his chest. The other squad members in turn do so as well. "We move fast, we do not slow down. If we are stopped anywhere, we die. We will wait here a moment longer, then move in."

The Problems Never Stop - Gabriel Desrochers

What? What did she…? As much as he wished to reply manually, he watched the screen with concern and slight frustration. He thought this written channel was protected… He'd have to research that afterward, maybe with people more knowledgeable than himself on hacking and interferences. He knew a little, but it wasn't his specialty; he still had much to learn about it. "Tabarnak de technologie sale! (Fucking dirty technology!)" He heard the radio exchange of this… And again, his name seemed to just be dragged into the mud.

However, he couldn't argue much about it, as the assault began; the U-ARM showed itself in its full glory, especially within the radios. A quick mute and Gabriel took notice of the danger. First missile avoided by the skin of his teeth, the second one right on target. Slightly shaken, reading the alarms going off in his cockpit, it meant he had but moments before he had to bail.

He could only do one thing for them; take down a building, maybe a few guys, then bail behind Coalition line of combat and do some emergency repairs. So, with what he could in his smoke ridden helicopter, he would try to unleash two of his missiles towards the lower floors of the northern building the U-ARM came out from and two or three shells, try to make it so the building would either crumble on itself or towards the streets towards where the U-ARM came out.

Then, if time was on his side, he would retreat behind something, out of combat, but still near enough to have rapid reinforcements if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.