The Great Games

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
David sighed, and returned the hug - albeit lightly, but it was there nevertheless. However, his embrace was cold - he did not put any comfort or happiness into it, not because he didn't want to, but because he couldn't. He was just an empty shell, when it came down to it - shutting his own emotions in tiny box in his stony heart, trying to cut off suffering by severing his own humanity. But his arms told a different story - they were the arms of a lost child, searching for his mother, searching for somebody to guide him. His mind was brilliant - but even it was prone to collapsing.

Kieara spoke. "you're going to have to start letting your emotions out." She whispered to him. "It will hurt, but there are good things to be experienced too." She told him. She then released the hug. She could tell he seemed almost lost. She spoke. "I'm here if you wanna talk." She said and went to get cleaned up for the day while he ate.

David looked back to his food, and picked solemnly at it. Though his appetite had not suddenly vanished, he still didn't feel like eating, but made no bones about it. He was silent throughout - not a word was heard from him as he took bites, occasionally clearing his throat.
"Would you like some help?" he asked, having finished - he was a quick eater, and an efficient one. It was not the sort of thing people accepted without disdain at the dinner table, as he was frequently leaving prior to many a person, but it was an inevitability people had accepted of him. He placed his plate and utensils in the appropriate area, and looked to Kieara for a response. His face was not his usual, neutral type of blank, this time around - it was simply blank for lack of anything else he could be bothered to feel.

Kieara spoke. "You don't have to if you don't want." She said returning with her hair fixed and in clean clothes. She began to run some dish water in the sink. She sighed. She was very nervous and on edge waiting for the next move to be made. She was terrified and didn't want to be drug into the middle of all this again. It seemed when there was a moment of peace it was a blessing.

"I don't mind, not at all."
David spoke calmly as he rolled up his sleeves, and picked up a cloth with which to scrub anything he needed to. It was even a viable tactical decision - by pulling his weight, the chances he was allowed to stay were increased, as opposed to him lounging around all day. Unbeknownst to him, the lull in activity was simply a ruse, something to help bring him out of his shell - by exposing his humanity, his past could be used to its full extent. He could be broken. David could be turned to quivering mess, and he would see that he needed another person to guide him.
Kieara.

Kieara would be there for him when needed, she simply needed him to open up to her first. She sighed as she worked on the dishes with him. It was a monotonous task, but a task needing done nonetheless. She was quiet as she washed with him and rinsed, but they were done in no time.

"I always used to do the dishes on my own, at home. It was one of the few times I was able to just take a step back from the world, and just think. Not about what I was going to do about my life, not about anyone else. I just had time to think."
Staring wistfully at his own reflection, the empty gaze of a boy who had grown old before his time met his own. Though distorted by the water sliding off of it, he could still see that, deep down, he considered himself a monster. A psychopath. Somebody who was unable to care, to feel, to think of himself. A machine man, with a machine heart and a machine mind. He never wanted to be a machine - for he knew he was a man, not some unthinking, unfeeling, unnatural being.
But he had needed to be one.
"I'm sorry, I'm rambling again..."

"No no, that's a good start." She spoke. "Just talking with me is a good start to opening up, you're not rambling, and you're not bothering me." She spoke to him and offered a smile. She was trying to make him comfortable.

David did not smile back - smiling was something that he just didn't do.Instead, he simply nodded, replacing the dish where it should have been before. The wistful look in his eyes told nothing, but still hinted at thoughts best kept hidden - like a fog, descending upon a figure to obscure it.
"Some people call me a sociopath, others call me a psychopath. I've received all sorts of insults, but I've never really been hurt. But there are some things that do hurt me. Like when somebody breaks the promise that they'll be by my side. That they understand that I'm different, but won't judge me for it. They all lied to me. I hope you understand if I don't entirely trust you, Kieara."

Kieara gave a nod. "I do understand." She said to him. "I intend to keep my word when I say I will be by your side however." She said to him. "Though sometimes I worry too. It makes me worry that you'll leave my side too making a decision about this to be a step ahead, and I won't be able to keep up." she admitted.

((Would you like to skip after their conversation here for a couple weeks or a month or two? Give it time for the affection on David's part to grow? For him to start realizing it? Maybe give them a break to let them get their gaurd down, then when he begins to realize his feelings for her, the genius tosses something at him to tug his heart strings?))

((I suppose it IS moving a little slowly. Would you like to start, or shall I?))

"I'm sorry if I do... But sometimes, people must be left in the dust. But if I do, don't worry. You promise to be by me, and I'll stop to pick you up."
Because I don't think I can get through this without you alive.
another thought also crossed his mind - if he left Kieara behind, would she be left out of the predicament? Would he be held solely responsible? Would she break down, and provide enough of a display to satisfy the foe that always seemed out of reach? He knew that if Kieara suffered enough, then letting her live was a crueler thing than killing her. She would live with the pain, and there would be no medicine for it.

Kieara smiled a little at his words. "Thank you." She spoke to him. She was somewhat comforted to know that he would not leave her behind. She knew it was hard to keep up mentally with him and that she just couldn't do it. She worried about htat, but hearing that he wouldn't leave her in the dark was somewhat relieving.

((You can.))

((Very well.))

In a gesture similar to what Kieara had done, he embraced her, in a sign of comfort. The hold was light and informal, but the message was clear.
"Thank you."

Three weeks later

The 21-day period had passed with little in the way of disturbances, and the ones that had occurred were so banal as to be able to be dismissed entirely. David himself had been turning away from his old self, his time with Kieara slowly turning the lock caging his heart, casting away the cold individual he once was. Other feelings stirred inside of him as well - he had no idea what they were, but he felt them to be strange, and the thoughts provoked were ones he had never paid mind to before then.
Kieara... Was here hair always such a beautiful colour? Her figure so curvaceous, her eyes so wonderful to look into? Did those jeans always look so good on her? Her character so kind and understanding, yet strong? My mind... I can't tell what this is.
He lay back into the couch, having grown weary of his room. He had woken early - around six in the morning, give or take a few minutes. His mind always wandered back to Kieara - whether it be after a few seconds minutes, hours, even days. He had not let his guard down completely, but ot was certainly softening. With no stimulation, his thoughs wandered.
But they always ended up in the same place.

Kieara rose like she normally did from her place in the recliner in the living room around this time of morning, though usually she was the first one up. And it would follow the usual pattern of get up, get cleaned up, make breakfast, clean house, etc. Nothing short of a monotonous display of everyday living. She'd grown quite fond of the still blossoming David. She liked him a lot, but knew a genius like him would have nothing for her. So she kept her thoughts, or more so feelings, to herself. She found her mind plagued with thoughts about his well being, what was on his mind, and daydreams where he felt the same about her. She was surprised to see David already up. "Oh....good morning." She spoke with a soft yawn.

David looked towards Kieara, a vaguely sheepish look on his face as he did so. He had not expected Kieara to be up so soon, nor did he expect to be there for very long. Regardless, he still smiled a minute amount, having only just recently learned how to do it with actual feeling, rather than out of cold politeness. he enjoyed her presence, as it brought about that strange feeling that he needed to study so urgently - the one that increased his heart rate, and caused him to stumble on his words on occasion.
Her yawn... I have grown to love that soft demeanour of hers when she just gets up. I describe it as cute - why, I do not know, but I think it so.
"Good morning, Kieara. Sleep well?"

She nodded to him with a sleepy smile of her own. She tended to be a bit out of it the first few moments when she first woke and would occasionally mutter nonsense that didn't even pertain to what she was asked on occasion when she wasn't fully woken. She spoke. "I slept well." she said a red curl falling over her freckled cheeks as she rose a hand to rub her bright blue eyes. "How about you?"

"Well, I can't say I slept badly. Though, there were some dreams that I've been having over and over again. Not bad dreams, mind, but they're always there."
He shrugged, displaying indifference to such an inconsequential thing. He stood, now facing Kieara, wondering what he could possibly say now - not that he didn't want to talk, but he had little idea what to say. With nothing else on his mind, he brushed the curl back to where it was supposed to be on Kieara's head. He was still oblivious to some aspects of human nature, one had to remember.
"Would you like me to help with anything, while I'm up?"

Kieara smiled as he spoke. She listened and then blushed when he moved that curl behind her ear. That was a little unusual. In a good way though. "Why don't you tell me about your dreams while I make you breakfast?" She said getting up with a stretch. She spoke. "House is pretty much clean, but I need to get some groceries today."

David nodded, and stood by her, waiting for her to proceed with the preparation of the meal. His mind wandered back to the nights he had dreamt, and what the ever-consistent one was. He focussed, and remembered every detail he could, analysing for any similar characteristics. In the end, though they were all similar, only one aspect remained true in each and every single one.
"I dreamt... Well, it's a touch awkward to say, really. The content of them all has never really been the same, but the focus of it always remains the same. It's not a thing I dream bout, it's a person, Kieara. I dream of you t night."
Though he did seem to find it awkward, it wasn't for the same reason most people would think. He just simply wasn't the kind of person who revealed much bout himself, but in the end, he reasoned Kieara should be an exception, as he trusted her. He felt closer to her, than anyone he had been across in any instance.

Kieara was preparing their breakfast nonchalantly as she listened. Then she stopped. "Me?" She asked him curiously. "What about me?" She asked. Why would he dream of her?