The Great Games

"Yes, just fine."
It was now gnawing ceaselessly at him - the thought of what could be making Kieara as she was, bar the obvious. The male addressing him the night before had said Kieara was to be made strong, and David had no doubt he was not joking. He could not tolerate it - he needed her to be at her peak, or as close to it as humanly possible at the current time. "You know, if there's something bothering you, you can tell me. It's fine if you don't want to, but with us like this, bottling it up won't help."

Kieara listened to him and nodded a bit. "Just, dreams, and the current situation are becoming too much, i'm nearly to the point where I can't stand it anymore." She admitted as she placed her forehead on the table in exasperation.

David, following standard protocol, ran through the possible actions he could take to have Kieara feel at least minutely better. Eventually, he settled upon something, a simple gesture - he placed his hand upon the top of her head, then proceeded to move it downwards slightly. A gesture not too forward, but displayed some form of compassion he was yet to recognise.
"Please, don't lose yourself yet. You said we're in this together - and, to be honest, I kind of need someone else there with me while all this happens. I'm not as emotionless as I can seem at times... I just can't ever find the right words..."
A complete lie, of course - he was as emotionally blank as he made out. But logic dictated, to him, that this was a plausible thing to say,

Kieara didn't believe his lie, but acted like she did. She spoke softlt. "It's ok, sometimes there are no words." She said to him. She was silent after that, as he phrased it, not able to find the right words.

((I'm back early!))

"Let's just get through this. We'll let death come to us - we shouldn't have to go to death."
David removed his hand, straightening himself to his usual stance of stoic defiance of all feeling, and returned his thoughts to the actions he would have to take in order to optimise chances for their survival. He already knew a one-hundred percent chance of living was impossible, as they would likely die when everything was over anyway. Regardless, there was still some sense of want to defy left in him, and he wanted to defy death - to spit in his aggressors' faces, essentially. Poking at the crumbs that remained from his breakfast, he proceeded to say something else. "I'm taking you out somewhere, today. Figured something out."

Kieara rose from her position and spoke. "Where are we going?" She asked him. She didn't really feel like going anywhere honestly. She looked over at him with her sapphire eyes blinking a bit. They were a torrent of emotion, but at the same time, they were starting to die and lose their sparkle in an emotionless lack like him.

"The nearest church to here. Someone wants to meet me - to meet us."
David stood up, straightening his clothes, and faced Kieara. Even somebody like him only tolerated so much - his efforts were going to waste, and he did not appreciate that in the slightest. Therefore, he made a last-ditch attempt to recover her, something that defied all rules he had set in place for himself. Disregarding how much the action would make his skin crawl, he put one arm lightly around her, in a manner friends would do, or one like the way an older sibling would comfort their younger counterpart if they began crying. "Nobody ever told me to be strong. I never had any reason to. I never saw life as something to treasure, even my own. But you... People cared about you. People care about you. Don't let them down."

Kieara spoke. "Then who cares? I don't have anyone other than you, and I can see through your act David, i'm not a fool." She said to him. She saw right through his muse and fake reassurance. It didn't take her long to read people.

look of deep-set irritation now embedded in his face, David let go, and simply look Kieara in the eye, finally showing some form of emotion. He hated failure - and even he had his limits. He was, after all, only human. Though they did not burn with it, the look was unmistakeable. He had not particularly liked Kieara in the first place, but he had continued to tolerate her. This was no longer the case. Though some would have lost their composure, he remained firm, yet the hint of acid lacing his words could not be taken for anything but.
"If that's how it is, then fine. I have been trying my utmost to get us through this ordeal, but you persist on moping around here. I assure you, I am in no better position than you have found yourself, and though I know the chances of any possible survival are slim, I move forwards. But I see how it is. You won't move forwards. You're bogged down. You're stuck. I don't need you, and quite frankly, I don't care if you die any more. If you don't even try to deal with things, then you are of no use to me. I will go myself - and don't expect me to come back. My need for another person or their company only runs so deep."
Upon finishing, he left the room, closing the door sharply behind him. He had said what he needed to, and he had no thoughts that Kieara was - or had been - anything but arbitrary.

Kieara's feelings were hurt by his words. She felt tears prick her eyes. It wasn't that she wanted to mope around here, she just knew when a person was showing her fake pity or fake reassurance, and she didn't like it. If someone did something for her, she wanted it to be genuine. His concern was fake. She then felt an unsettling fear set in. Now what would happen? Would they simply end her with a bullet to her head? What would happen to David? She cared about him, though he didn't her. She sighed shakily unsure in what to do and placed her head in her hands.

Upon exiting the building, David was met with the male he had been addressing last night, though this time a solemn look was embedded in his face. Shaking his head, he raised a gun, and pulled the trigger. David had no time to react - no matter his brainpower, if not given sufficient time to think and process, he could not do anything. He fell back as the shot sounded, his head hitting the floor sharply.
"I told you to bring her. You don't like following orders, do you?"
All he got in response was a pained grunt - the pavement had been hit pretty hard, and a slight amount of blood had pooled at the area where David's head had hit the floor. With his eyes closed and him unwilling to get up, it would look - from a distance - that he had been shot. It was not the expectation that nobody cared that caused David to tense - it was how he had been outdone in a manner so simply. He couldn't tolerate it, but he could also not get up.

Kieara heard the shot and something just didn't sit right with her. She got up despite how she felt and drug her tear stained self downstairs, She gasped seeing David and went over. m"D-david?" She then looked up to the aggressor. She glared. "Get out of here, leave him alone." She said.

"And what, pray tell, can you do to stop me?"
The gun was turned on Kieara, its barrel facing her, the cold steel ready to murder with hot lead, at only the twitch of a finger. But he didn't pull the trigger - his boss needed the drama, and both David and Kieara were playing directly into his hands. A malicious smile played on his features, contorting him into even more of a devil than before. David rose, clearing his throat, directing his icy gaze towards the wielder.
"She may not do much, but I can. State your business. We are playing your game, and boredom should not settle in until much later. So put away the gun, and we'll come quietly."
Smirking, the firearm was stowed after a few tense seconds, and the male looked down upon David. He thought it was simply him being as practically-minded as always.
In a sense, he was right.
However, some deeply-buried sense of humanity in its basest form had managed to crawl its way back into David and a portion of that was shown as he stepped in front of Kieara, delivering a subtle hint to his enemy.
If you're going to shoot, shoot me first.
It went beyond not caring about life, though only in the sense part of his humanity was now exposed, slight as it may be. It may have just been the result of his head being hit, but it was there.

Kieara wasn't sure why he moved in front of her. She watched the gunman, then David. "Where are we going?" She asked worried about the back of David's head. She saw it was bleeding but couldn't do anything about it at the moment.

"I'm sure Detective David here will lead the way, won't you? Otherwise, carrot-top over there gets a bullet through her pretty little head."
David simply moved in the general direction of the burial grounds without further words being exchanged, and managed to ignore the dull throbbing in the back of his head. Though he did not look at her, he was still wary of what was to happen to Kieara, and resolved to keep his guard up. He may have reached breaking point when he snapped at her, but something about her had awakened a primal instinct in him. As he had thought before, it could have simply been him taking a hit to his head, but it was irrefutably present - the basic sense of compassion every human came with, but watered down hugely. "Come on, you two don't have to be silent with each other. You could die at any moment, why not make a friend before you do?"

Kieara followed after him. she sighed a bit. She was shaking and nervous. She wasn't aware what general direction they'd be heading in yet, she had no idea it was the burial grounds. That would dredge up even more memories she'd rather leave unearthed. She looked to the back of david's head trying to examine the damage from afar, but to no avail. At hearing the gunman's words, she would've spoken, but she couldn 't find the words.

The chill of death hung in the air, despite the day's temperature, noticeable when the group reached the church, seemingly the correct one.
"Excellent, you figured it out correctly. And now, well, you know what happens."
"Not the specifics."
The captor chuckled darkly, his eyes closed slightly, this facial expression only amplifying the effect. It was evident something was about to happen - something that would possibly play a major role in the grand scheme of things, even if it appeared to only be a minor inconvenience at that particular point in time, at least to David. The gunman held his firearm to the small of David's back, forcing him along - he expected Kieara to follow, follow him to her sister's grave. And if she wasn't careful, her own, and David's.

Kieara paled when they entered the church. She knew where they were. Her eyes began to water. This was sheer torture. She could still remember the coffin sitting in the front of the chirch plain as day. She froze for a moment before scurrying to catch up. Wht was this sick man playing at?

"Imagine it. Having David here die at your sister's grave. It'd be quite the burden to live with, I'd assume."
"Oh, I'm going to die now? How dull."
"Uh, no, that's boring. No, we're going to try and kill you. Whether you die or not really depends on how well you perform."
Before he could open his mouth, a faint click became audible - an unmistakeable sound of a weapon. The action and type were vague at best, but the metallic sound was irrefutably a weapon's. No words were needed - one false move and the head is blown off. David was stuck for ideas on what they were trying to accomplish - was it physical? Psychological? He couldn't think. Something was blocking him, and he couldn't figure out wht. They would have to just go with it.

Kieara didn't like this game they were playing. She felt tears of sadness, anger, frustration, and other emotions leak from her eyes. She looked down unable to speak. She sobbed softly.