The Great Games

"You should respect the dead, boy - why not bow to them to show that?"
By his tone, it was obvious the nameless captor was attempting to goad David, though it seemed to have little to no effect - stoic as ever, David simply returned a blank stare, prompting a frustrated reply from his foe. "I said, BOW."
In order to have David bend over, he delivered a viscous jab to David's stomach, this time causing him to bow - though it was just him doubling over in pain. He was kicked in the back of the knees to force him to kneel, much to the amusement of the perpetrator, even if it was all only to have Kieara make a stand - as much as his employer loved drama, he needed contestants who would actually put up a fight.

Kieara wouldn't stand and watch this. She didn't care for her own life. It could be thrown away for all she cared. She had nothing to live for, no one who cared for her, but she did care for David. Even though she tried to tell herself she didn't. She moved forward. "Stop it! Leave him alone I said!" She yelled at the captor grabbing the gun in his hand and moving it away from David even though it put her at risk. "You bring us here to torture my everlasting mind out of me and i've had enough! Get the hell out of here!" She demanded to him her eyes furious even though her eyes still coated her cheeks in tears. She expected to be dropped dead like a fly any moment.

"Kiear, get back..."
"That's a bold move, girly..."
"Just put the gun down..."
"But unfortunately for you, I care more for my own life more than I do your pitiful excuse for one."
A volley of gunfire sounded, causing a body to collapse to the floor, blood oozing from under it, the bullet holes made cleanly in the back. The captor, a look of brief surprise etched on his deceased face, had been shot dead, his purpose fulfilled. He had gotten Kieara to show that every rose had its thorns - and he had threatened to kill her, a right solely reserved for the organiser of the event.
"They haven't shot us yet. Let's go, it's not as if we have anything to lose."
Wheezing slightly, David righted himself, moving shakily to the exit. The bullet scratching his cheek forced him to wait for Kieara - despite wanting to get out as quickly as possible.

Kieara screamed and jumped when the gunfire went off. She blinked at the now bloodied corpse in front of her. She was shaking as she turned following after David. She stopped though and turned back. She moved the bloody body off her sisters grave, then wiped the blood from the tombstone which read as follows:

Macie Biaer
March 31st 2009 - August 14 2012

She then sighed and rose. She moved along behind him ready for them to jsut end it for her.

"That... Thing, you did. That was... That was good. Thanks."
A vague trace of actual gratitude was evident in David's voice - though indubitably slight, it was still there nevertheless. A display of emotion was rare enough, let alone a compliment, and both had happened at the same time - he despised how his humanity was showing, but at the same time, he reasoned it was inevitable - he was, after all, human. An all humans have to feel something at some point in their lives. However, David refused to make eye contact with Kieara - lest he inadvertently betray himself further.

Kieara sighed. "No problem." She said quietly. It was obvious though, her voice betraying her, she was still hurt from his words before. Once they left and arrived at her apartment building. She looked at him then headed up to her home leaving the door open if he wished to follow.

David followed, not fully aware himself of what he was doing. Ll he knew was what had happened, and that he would have to wait further to receive more instructions, and rules for the next part of the game. He sat upon the sofa, his fingers arched, his gaze lowered - he was thinking. Thinking was something he did a lot of, and he needed to do it to stay sane. He was addicted to it - but yet, he remained stoic.

Kieara went to her bathroom and showered. She cried while she was in there refusing to show weakness. She sobbed until she couldn't anymore then came out clean and redressed in pajamas.

David had not always been such a cold, hateful creature - in fact, in his prime, he had been far from it. He had been a person of great enthusiasm, who approached life with a "give 'em hell" attitude, and never held many regrets. However, something had changed him - something had killed him inside, and revival seemed impossible. His humanity flickered, as it did at times, forcing his right eye to water slightly, though this was dismissed immediately. Solemnly, he stood, and paced to his bedroom, unwilling to explore his mind further for the time being.

Kieara sat on the couch and sighed as she stared at the ceiling in quiet. She hated this game, she hated this life almost. She grabbed her throw and tossed over her. She then turned on her side and tried to rest.

Mind abuzz with thoughts and notions, David found sleep impossible, finding himself pacing the room repeatedly. Nothing comforted him when it came to being outsmarted - he strove to be the best, and if he met someone better, he would try to outdo them. What he didn't grasp, was that some decisions - while still requiring a level head - also needed him to actually have an opinion. Regrdless, he paced, and he remained silent.

Kieara had trouble sleeping. Though she was too tired to avoid sleep all together. She just had a fitful sleep. She tossed this way and that, mumbled things in her sleep, she'd flinch here and there, all the motions that accompanied nightmares were playing out on the girl.

David slept on the floor. It was how he was used to sleeping, and though he did not feel comfortable, he couldn't get used to the bed. His dreams lacked anything but that which would torment an ordinary person, and yet, it affected him so slightly, it was as if he dreamt not at all. He lay there, and if you could not see his chest rising and falling, one would not be blamed for thinking him dead. Still, eyes closed, and silent - his mind was barren, and he had hated it, before it had completely taken over.

Kieara was up bright and early the next day wondering what mind games they'd have to play on them today. The next step, though neither were aware, was to trick David into becoming close to her. She went and made breakfast again and sighed sitting down in the living room. She didn't feel like eating. She didn't really feel like doing anything.

David entered the room, rubbing his head, not noticing any particular details - this included where Kieara was sitting. All he needed was to just rest himself, and gather his thoughts, casting away any thoughts he deemed unnecessary. An apology was not on the top of the list, but he was genuinely considering it, and thought he my get around to it if the time cme. Unwittingly, he sat next to Kieara, his head then being held in his hands as he sighed, just needing to clear his mind.

Kieara looked over to him. She sighed. She got up and got him a plate. Then she gve it to him. "Here's breakfast." She said and sat again still aggitated and tired.

"I'm only human."
David stared - solemnly, and at his feet. His tone was strange, for what he had made himself out to be. He actually had emotion in his voice, a streak of uncertainty. His mind was slipping, as he was not used to being outdone. He was not used to being outsmarted. He had the sharpest wit, the finest mind, and the snarkiest responses. He always knew there was somebody better, but he never fathomed that his defeat would be so humiliating. He was weak, in his own eyes. He was all talk - he never fought. "What I do and say, it's all spur of the moment. I know I'm a person people don't really care for, but that hardly ever concerned me. But... Well, it does now. I can't give you an apology, but will you accept that I feel sorry regardless?"
What are you doing?! You let yourself slip! You're not supposed to feel emotion, it interferes with thought!
Not in this case. Kieara obviously responds to emotion and displays of it. Embracing your humanity will gain her trust.

Kieara spoke. "I...." She wasn't sure how to respond. "Is this some sort of trick to help you gain an edge again? Are you only doing this as a battle plan move?" She asked him, though it wasn't hostile.

"I know it's hard to believe me. I wouldn't expect you to... But what I say is true. My mind... I can't describe it. It's like a veritable maelstrom of conflicting emotions, all so busy fighting each other, I end up taking the middle ground, and remain neutral. It's just how I work, and I've done my best to keep that image up. It's pointless now though, isn't it?"
David looked up at Kieara, his eyes now akin to those of a lost puppy, one who seemed particularly pitiful. And though his body language indicated he was just weary, on the inside, he simply felt as if he was wasting away. He didn't smile, nor did he frown - his being was a mishmash of emotions that would be impossible to separate.

Kieara listened to him and saw his nearly helpless expression. She sighed and came over giving him a hug. He looked like he needed it. "It's gonna be alright, but to get through this you're not gonna be able to ne neutral and take the calculated emotionless route the entire time. You're gonna have to feel." She said.