The Great Games

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
I see you smiling. I hear you laughing, I can hear your soft voice calling to me. I never hear what you say, and I can never really see you clearly. But it's you there, Kieara. If I'm honest, I have no idea why. It's all so strange to me..."
It had been established that David still held no concept of what love was - he knew the dictionary definition of it, but that was the extent of it. The obvious signs meant nothing to him, and his mind continued as it had been before. Irrespective of his social ineptness, however, he was at least able to tell when a situation became awkward. It was figuring out what he said that remained the problem, but that was usually explained to him at a later time or date.

Kieara listened to that and was unsure how to respond. She came over and sat by him placing one of her hands on top of his. "I appreciate you telling me that David." She said with a smile. She then spoke again. "It sounds to me like you like me, as more than a friend, but I cna't be the judge of that, only you can." She said. She wasn't sure how to explain emotion, but she'd realized it was something he didn't fully comprehend.

"More than a friend? What do you-"
The thoughts running through David's mind rushed to tell him what she meant, what it meant for him, possible outcomes, everything - right down to why he felt and thought what he did. The sudden realisation was like a train hitting him - he did not realise quite what he had been dabbling in, until it was essentially told to him. He looked down for a second, gathering his thoughts, attempting to make sense of the situation. An emotion he had never felt, or even considered, had risen up inside him. All of his thoughts and actions now pointed solely towards one explanation, and even his brilliant mind refused to conjure a different, plausible reason.
"Kiear... I think you're right. Maybe I do like you as more than a friend. No, I'm certain of it. Kieara, I..."
He swallowed hard - it was something he was not used to, and for reasons unbeknownst to him, he reached a point where he could not speak without difficulty. SOmething was blocking his speech. But he cast it aside. He had something to say.
"I love you."

Kieara paused and froze in everything she was doing. She looked at him in shock. She hadn't expected that in the least. What should she tell him? How should she respond? Should she admitt to the feelings she'd felt since a little after she met him? Or should she even answer at all? Before she knew what she was doing, barely spoken in a whisper, the words left her lips. "I....I love you too David." A smile coated her lips though she was unaware. She felt so natural saying those words to him, but at the same time afraid. What would this mean for the genuises game?

Without a further thought, David leaned forward, and engaged Kieara in an embrace, a firm one - this time with feeling. With the emotional floodgates released, years of suppressed loneliness were being vented, and remedied, by the fact that somebody now loved him - somebody actually cared about his existence enough to miss him if he died. He cradled Kieara, holding her tight - if he focussed, he could feel his heart beat in unison with her's. When he spoke, his voice was a simple whisper, one meant for her ears only.
"I can kiss you, if you would like that."
He had whispered the words into Kieara's ear, still keeping her in his arms, though something else was odd with him.
He was letting his guard down.

"...confirmed the targets have reached the optimum state."
"Talking into a headset, a sniper observed from a different block, nigh-invisible to the pair. A bug had been panted in Kieara's residence, and every word she and David said were heard through the headset, when tuned in to it. The other frequency was his boss, the one paying him for the work.
"Bide your time. They will have to separate at some point."

Kieara smiled at his embrace and hugged him back. She noticed now that he'd fully opened up to her. She smiled and leaned up. "I'd like that." She kissed him softly. She savored the moment, then remembered she had food cooking. She smiled. She led him to the table sitting him down. "I need to finish your food." She said with a laugh and went to the stove. The table and chairs wer away from the window, meaning David was out of the line of fire, but Kieara wasn't.

Considering the range, and the calibre of the gun used, the bullet would likely injure - not kill. The window would make this even more so. After all, she had to be kept alive, but she had to be injured enough to break David. His mind was dazed, and as such, he would never have noticed the sniper - even if he wasn't, the enemy was undetectable. The suppressed shot was fired, a near-silent hiss sounding, penetrating the glass, and he assumed it went straight into Kieara. The sniper did not take the time to admire his handiwork, now focussing on making sure he hadn't been spotted. All that was left was to report back - the rest would be an inevitability.

"Kieara?! Kieara!"
David rushed to dive for Kieara, attempting to push her from harm's way. It was unclear whether the bullet had hit her, if it had missed, or even if it would hit him as he pushed her down. Knowing the floor was hard, and detrimental to her health if she had been shot, he attempted to have her land on him as they fell, though only succeeding in softening the fall slightly, as they both landed on their sides when he pulled her down.

Kieara screamed out in pain as the bullet contacted her side. She felt shards of glass enter her skin as well. A few hit her side, and some went into her arm and her forehead on the same side. She felt tears spill down her cheeks as she ebgan to shake all over. Blood spilled all over the floor. She looked up at David, her eyes were terrified. Kieara spoke. "D-da-v-vid?" she squeaked in a pained terrified manner.

Being the logical person he was, David's first instinctive move was to call an ambulance. Rather, it would have been, but he had changed - now, because of Kieara's tone, he held the uninjured parts of her, and looked into her terrified eyes. He himself was scared, that much was true. But it was because he was scared of his only love dying in his arms, from someone who did not even show their face.
"Look, you're going to make it through this. I'm here for you, all right? I'm just going to phone an ambulance, and they'll take you way and save you. Just... Don't die, please... I don't want you to..."
Before the tears could flow, David kissed Kieara's cheek, and dialled the emergency services - this was followed by the appropriate listing of details, along with some unnecessary shouts ("Just get me a damned ambulance, she's bleeding to death!"). He returned to Kieara's side, gazing into her eyes, his expression begging her to at least sty conscious. "Don't die, Kieara... We were supposed to be happy together... I love you, we can't have you throw that away..."

Kieara spoke. "I-i'm s-scared..." She said to him. She was getting blood on him in his arms. She could see he was scared. She needed him as much as he needed her. She didn't think she'd ever make it to this point, or have a connection like this with someone, but she was glad that she did, and she wasn't going to give up. "D-don't leave me d-don't let them take me by myself..." She begged. She wanted him with her.

"I wouldn't... I couldn't!"
David Shook his head, and made his refusal to leave Kieara's side evident. He needed her - without Kieara, he was but an empty shell, wandering around with no purpose in life. The blood on him went unnoticed - all he could do was cradle her, as if she was the most delicate thing in the world. David stroked Kieara's hair desperately trying to keep her awake, muttering broken words of pleading and encouragement to her as he did. "I can hear the sirens on the distance. You'll be fine... How about you tell me what we're going to do when you're better? I'll make your dreams come true. Just pull through,, for God's sake!"

Kieara mumbled broken responses back. She was getting more and more sleepy. She sprung to life when she heard people come in and they began moving her which she yelped in response to as she was strapped to a stretcher and wheeled downstairs quickly. She was in so much pain. They loaded her in the back of the ambulance and began compressing the wound. "Did the bullet go clean through?" They asked David.

"There's no exit wound, it's still in her, I think. Please, can you just ask me this in the ambulance? I have to be there, with her. Please, I know it's an inconvenience, but she needs somebody with her."
David, while not pleading or begging, certainly did not appear as dignified as one would have thought a stoic thinker would be. However, he had abandoned that mindset, and was determined to be with Kieara, for as long as he could stand by her. She seemed vulnerable to him - she needed someone with her, someone she could confide in. he was the only one there, and he needed to fulfil his role.

He ushered him into the back of the ambulance with her. She was terrified but calmed a little seeing him. The doctors closed the doors and rushed off. They were already jabbing her with needles and inserting IVs. She was going into shock. She was feeling exceedingly sleepy and was nodding off here and there along the way to the hospital while the men asked David all sorts of questions.

"I-I..."
David desperately attempted to answer their questions, but alas, his mind and eyes always wandered back to Kieara. It was only natural he was worried about her, and where they were going - this could just have been another one of the scoundrel's games, after all, continued in the ambulance. David had expected someone to be hurt, but there was something he found inexplicable rising in him - an anger he had never experienced, a fury unseen. He was angry - and, the reason he deemed most likely, was that Kieara was injured because she had been involved.

"Sir we need you to answer, this girl's life could depend on it." The nurse spoke to him as Kieara began to panic. "M-my life?" She questioned as she came to for a moment, then shortly after passed out again.

"Then tell me what the question is!"
David snapped, unable to handle what was being mounted upon him. He looked to the staff with pleading - yet furious - eyes. He was answering the questions, but his mind was breaking, his body following suit. The emotions, the strategy he needed, the feelings he wanted... It all added up to him becoming little more than a confused, angry, and fearful human being. But, above all else, he feared for Kieara's life.

They asked questions about Kieara's past and her age, blood type, other things that he might know, then they took her inside the hospital and into emergency surgery. They got the bullet out along with the glass and stitched her up. They then took her and put her in a room. Once they figured out who she was, they called the authorities. They'd found her out. They knew that she was the one who'd committed the string of robberies. The same string of robberies that she'd committed to feed her sister with her expensive medical bills.

David had gained permission to visit Kieara, the order not to allow anyone into her room not having reached the person allowing him in yet. David sat by Kieara's side, running his fingers gently through her hair, gazing t her with a look of anxiety on his face. It seemed clear that she would make it, but what would happen next? He couldn;t protect her from from everything, and what he could was menial.
"Are you all right, Kieara?" he asked, hopefully waiting for a reply.

Kieara looked up and nodded. "I'm alright..." She said. She felt tears drip down her cheeks. "Th-they called the ceops D-David..." She said to him. "T-they're gonna arrest me....they k-know who I am..." She said to him. She was terrified and she didn't want to go to jail. She'd never make it there.