The Glade {Maze Runner}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zach's eyes widened in surprise. "Miss Viola?" She said aloud, why the hell would I know where she is? Do I look like her keeper? Bah. That being said, this WAS Zach's job after all, doing the bidding of others. A lowly servant to all who wasn't as clumsy, who had more talent and education, than her. "Uh, I'll..." Before Zach could finish her sentence, Blu cut her off. 'Real work? Was the first sarcasm then? I guess she did have a glint of annoyance in her eye when I spoke to her. Everyone does. Wait a second real work? She needs something from me?' Zach's fingers went nervously up to her ponytail, which always held her knotted, wavy hair. "Yeah, yeah I can do that. I'll uh, get right on it." Somewhere stuck between annoyance she had to do something for someone, and happiness someone actually needed her for once, Zach's expression was peculiar, and so was her tone. "I'll be right back, Blu."

Turning around, Zach cringed. Using someones nickname that you weren't really friends with was definitely strange. Not to mention Zach was much lower of a rank, and a person, than Blu. Keeping her head down and hands in her jacket pockets, she made her way to the shed. Her olive jacket was much too big, a man's cut, but she had come up with it. This was all she had left of her past life anyway as her dress she had come up with under it was worthless in this kind of environment. She needed pants and a warm shirt for the work she did. Trudging past the breakfast tent, her stomach growled. But Zach had eaten a considerable amount of food the night before, and her guilt was enough to skip her meal until lunch or dinner time.

The rough wood of the shed was always a site to be admired by Zach, the oldest builders had made it. Although it wasn't as grand as the other buildings, the simple little shed that held up and did what it was made for. Keeping the end of her sweatshirt sleeve over her hand to not get a splinter, Zach opened the shed and stepped inside. At first, the beaten up tools along the wall glinted in the sun and actually looked kind of pretty, but the silent moment was a little lost when a loud snore and rustle of a woman curled up in the corner brought her out of thought. "Viola?" Opening the shed door wider Zach stood there. Then laughed. "Ah, I killed two birds with one stone!" Can't believe my luck, I bet Blu will be proud of me. Looking at the pitiful, almost sick looking, well-known builder, Zach smiled. There was someone in the world doing worse than she was. "Hey! Hey! Viola get your skinny ass up! If you're sick go to the medics, and keep your distance. I don't need any bug going around here. I got work to do." Leaning against the door, Zach pointed out. "If you ain't sick then you best be getting a move-on to do your work as well! You know the rules, pull your weight! Get up!"

Viola groaned and peaked through her eyelids. Zach stood at the door with her arms crossed. It was slightly terrifying, especially to someone just coming out of what seemed like a coma. "How about I don't go to the medics, and you say I did?" Viola mumbled, half asleep. She really did want to help Blu. But at the same time, she felt at this point she felt she would do more bad than good. She re-opened her eyes just enough to catch the unimpressed look on Zach's face. She could just imagine the same look plastered on Blu's face. Viola sighed as she crawled out of the corner. She brushed herself off, and squeezed between Zach and the door. She flipped her hood up to keep the sun out of her eyes, and strode away in the direction that she figured she would find Blu.

When she finally did figure out where Blu was, she knew she had to suck it up and apologize. Viola hated doing the wrong thing. But more than that, she hated having to apologize. Viola rushed towards Blu with her best puppy dog eyes and blurted: "I am so, so, so, SO sorry Blu. I don't even know where to start so I'll spare you the details, but I just hope you can forgive me. And I wouldn't mind if we just forgot the whole thing either, but that's up to you. So what do you say?"

With a single eyebrow raised and a smirk, Zach watched Viola make her slow and painful way out into the open, hood up, face hid. A very familiar hood. Is that jacket even hers? I've never seen her wear such a thing. Hazel eyes followed Viola until she disappeared into the light as Zach held onto the door frame and scrutinized the back of the hoodie. She doubted the often humming and jovial girl would steal something, but it was also a weird gift to get from someone, a used men's jacket. Not that she could say anything poor about men wear, her own jacket was very comfortable and useful. Many big pockets and lots of warmth. She doubted that anyone would be giving Viola gifts either though, especially not a man. It was common for Viola to be... Out and about. Not that there is anything wrong about that. Her body, her rules. Zach reminded herself as she looked for a sizable rock to keep the shed door open. Propping the door open wide to allow as much sunlight as possible, Zach stepped into the shed for her mission.

"Hammer... A hammer. What's a hammer again...?"

Pondering over the many tools, and running her fingers over cold steel and slippery rubber she looked for a sign of which was which. Most tools had come up in the cage, but some were homemade, grabbing a level with bubbles and liquid that intrigued her Zach thought a moment. Hammer. Ham-mer. No help in the name either. Is that the thing they bang nails in with or screws? No, it can't be the screws, that's a screwdriver. The nail one must be a nail driver. Is it the thing they take the nails out with? Is it this thing? What the fuck even is this thing? What is this bubble doing? Ugh. Ham? Mer? Ham? M? Mer? Ham is definitely not any of these things. I think... I think it is this thing. It has to be, strange name, strange item. Alright. Hammer. This looks like the only one here... She said better, so I guess this thing is better, doesn't look beat up.

Kicking the rock to the side and listening to the door slam behind her she held the level in her hands. Watching the bubble bob and move as she tilted it as she walked. The green liquid inside looked like the color of leaves, so bright. Beyond it, she caught sight Viola and Blu and she beamed and held the level down at her chest. "Hey. I see you found Blu alright, Viola. I did both the things you needed me for." Proudly she handed over the 'hammer' to Blu and nodded. "If you uh, need anymore help or anything... Well, you know where to find me."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Looking up, she slunk her head down and shook her head. She didn't even bother looking up as her builder apologized. "I don't know why you think an apology is going to smooth wood, you've really got a shucked head. Stop wasting my time and go gather wood," she ordered, her voice firm. Why did everyone think that saying sorry made things better? She grasped the hammer and waved Zach away. "Maybe you can be with Viola to make sure she doesn't sleep on the job." She was just kidding, but her annoyance was clear.

"I'm sorry, but, I've got to get wood for the bonfire tonight. I can't be following around some numbskull who can't do her job all day. I've got actual work to do." Zack realized the sass and her tone, and decided to reword what she thought. Blu was higher rank than Zack, after all. Also, this was her first job in awhile. "I guess I can keep an eye on her, for now. Viola please stay out of trouble while I'm doing my work. I'll make sure to check up on her, Miss Abby. If you need anymore assistance, you know who to come to." Turning onto her heels, Zach looked into the distance a moment, Hazel eyes wandering. Then she realized. "I'm gathering wood for the fire, and you're gathering for building... Then we could gather wood together?"

Zach sighed "That way I can watch her, and..." She pointed to Viola, "You can't get in trouble."

Viola laughed in a not-so-convincing way. "Yeah, that sounds great. Though I doubt I could get in any more trouble." She cringed at her nervous attempt to be humorous. Bright side, Viola. Look on the bright side. She reminded herself. "But hey, maybe we can make wood gathering a bit less boring for the both of us...?" Zack looked the same as she did back in the tool shed. Ugh. "Well alright, lets get started!" she said, and put on a nervous smile.

Blu watched the two girls walk off. 'Miss Abby, she calls me. I think the next person to call me that will get a swiftbkick in the klunker,' she thought as she grasped the leveler that Zach had brought her. Not a hammer. This camp was full of Greenies, she'd swear that up and down. Sighing, Blu left her blie prints on her table and began walking for the shed. She would need that leveler anyways, so she hadn't corrected the girl. Still, like Blu had thought when Zach was the Greenie, with quite a bit of training she might have made a fair builder. Opening the door to tbe shed, she began to gather what she needed.

Satchel, after eating bteakfast, had made it back to the homestead. He checked on a few patients, a couple which he'd seen get hurt climbing trees. Shuck faces. They had been cleared to go this morning, and Satchel was in ill mood to deal with mooches. "Get out of here, you two are fine," he grumbled as he started making beds.

"Alright Miss Minnie, we gots some work to do don't we? Try not to fall asleep." Zach's attitude had little to do with Viola's actual situation and not pulling the weight she needed to, and a lot more to do with the fact that everyone picked on those lower than themselves. Zach was the lowest, normally, but right now many more would be annoyed with Viola than Zach's self. In a sick way, it was kind of pleasing not to be bottom of the totem pole. Standing taller, Zach nodded towards the shed as the trudged towards it. "You need an Axe, and I needa tarp. If you stay awake long enough to get a couple trees down for the project, I'll give you a hand." Passing Blu on her way in she gave a slight nod and went under the table to grab her tarp. It was beat up and had a single hole in it, but not many others used the tarp except Zach. Taking out the folded up and weaved plastic tarp she glanced to the axe wall. There were only two, probably because everyone often was warned about cutting down too many trees, so there weren't many to destroy the precious wood with. "Also, it isn't often people sleep through work. I mean, if you are really sick or whatever... Maybe we should have you checked at the med tent? No one else wants whatever you may have if you are ill. We got a tight knit community to keep well."

Kyle glanced up at Satchel when he came in and kicked the others out. He grinned to himself and finished doing the files, he had been right that a few of them still had had to be sorted. He got up and walked over to him "Hey, thanks for that, thats one thing im terrible at, getting people to leave and all." He said. Kyle was glad that even though he was the keeper, he was still able to have somewhat normal conversations with the other med jacks. "Brea is helping out the new greenie and already checked her over and everything and i checked out some of the patients that left a few days ago so for now i think i'm gonna be in my office getting her file together and everything. So you can do what you want for now" He said with a smile

(I am SO sorry i didn't reply! It's not showing anything on my alerts!)

Jenny kept on running, following Cole closely behind. "What do we do?!" she finally yelled, looking back at the Griver on her heels.

"I have no idea" answered, with a mix of frustation and desperation on his voice. The path was getting to an end and there wasn't anywhere close to jump and keep running, so they had to jump back to the floor level. He wondered if they would make it without the Griever catching them. "We need to jump!" warned Jen while he was about to jump down. He rolled on the floor and quickly incorporated.

Jenny saw him jump, and hesitated for a split second, but then jumped after him. It was a high jump, and unfortunately, she landed badly. Jen screamed in pain as she landed, and fell to the ground, holding her ankle. "Shit! Shit! Shit!" This was bad. And it couldn't of been better timing.

He was already running from the Griever when he heard Jen screaming. Cole quickly turned around to help her, probably swearing her on his thoughts. Jen was on the floor, with a probably broken ankle, so she wasn't going to be able to run from the thing anymore. He took her on his arms, ready to stand up and carry her, but it was already too late. The Griever was jumping and it was going to land on them.

Jen shook her head. "Cole, run! Go! I'll just slow both of us down!" I don't want to be the cause of your death. She pushed him away, towards the opposite way the Griever was coming from.

He wasn't going to leave her behind, not because they were the best of friends, but just because she was his partner. Anyways, he couldn't do anything when she pushed him away, it seemed that she was a pretty strong girl. He saw the Griever descending and quickly took a knife from his backpack, which would probably not be of much use.

(Sorry guys, for some reason I've stopped receiving alerts. Weird. Hopefully this issue doesn't continue.)

Breanne soon finished her apple, and made her way back to the med center. Upon arrival she saw two Gladers walking out of the the tent, seeming annoyed. She thought that they probably got kicked out, which meant another Medjack was inside. She entered, seeing Kyle and Satchel, and gave them both a friendly smile. "Morning guys," she said, walking over to them. She then looked over at Kyle, her keeper and asked, "Anything specific you need me to do today?" Sometimes there was nothing for the Medjacks to do, but their job was still important. Because when someone got hurt or ill, it tended to be bad, and so every ones hands were full.

Jen shook her head and pushed his arm away. "Cole, go now." she said calmly, trying not to lose it. Her ankle was throbbing so very badly, and her vision going black because of the pain. She didn't want Cole to die too. He was trying to help, that was nice of him. But there are times when being too heroic isn't such a great idea.

While lying against the the ground Dutch raised his arm trying to signal his fellow Gladers hoping they would see him. Shortly after this Dutch blacked out.Was he dreaming? No maybe the glade was all a dream he wondered.Pain swirled in the back of his mind he could not feel and he wondered why was he so thirsty?

Last edited:
That was all Satchel wanted to hear. Another meaningless boring day. "Should have been a shucken builder. I'd have plenty to do and be useful for a change, not stuck in a house playing chamber maid," Satchel retorted almost under his breath as he walked away from Brea and Kyle. Satchel was always a grumpy guy, course everyone knew this about him. The only person who seemed to fully match his wiy was Blu. And she sure put him in his place.

(This hasn't died out, has it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.