The Elder Scrolls: Resurgence of the Frost

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm setting up an interest check now, but I'm going to forgo the banner advertisement. Think of it like a "soft opening" for a store where you want to see how things go without getting a flood of people and the interest check has proven to be more than effective in getting the players we enjoy now. Besides, Elder Scrolls is almost always a hot topic for roleplay interest and the fact this is a well-established game demonstrates that it's being run pretty decently with good player involvement and shouldn't die off after like 2 weeks like a lot of games do.

Working. sleeping. Working. Video games. Working.

Pretty much my schedule.

Also, Jei-Tah drinks Argonian Ale, if somebody posts before me and wants to make a joke about that in response to Drevin.

I'm around! Finals week for me right now, so don't expect much activity from me until next week. Hopefully have a post up sometime today though, if I can find some time.

Reactions: Dervish
I'm around! Finals week for me right now, so don't expect much activity from me until next week. Hopefully have a post up sometime today though, if I can find some time.
I believe in you, and your booze.

Awww shit son. Things bout to go down up in Bloodborne. Finally got past a boss I've been stuck at for a week, and the game is getting really weird now.

Reactions: BKenScout
I just did my first chalice dungeon last night :D

Yeah, I'm chipping away at my second chalice dungeon, but I don't find those environments as interesting as the main campaign area. There's supposed to be some cool loot in them though, which I want.

I was going to come on here and lament about a lack-luster roll call but I love that you guys never disappoint.

I may write a post just for shiggles.

I'm here, just usually on my phone so I don't always respond OOC. ^^ Been working on my pathetic upper body strength because I know my push-ups when I take a PRT are going to look really bad if I don't. It's pretty sad.

Anyway, I'm great. :D Wednesdays are my favorite day of the week (that aren't a weekend).

Edit: *rubs hands together* Yes, Zaveed, assume the chaotic-neutral is a good-hearted and excitable fellow of positivity and rainbow-coloured will...

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of alignment, where do you think your guys' characters fall?

Zaveed's pretty much chaotic neutral. He does bad things, but he's not openly malicious, just self-serving and manipulative. He doesn't really have a set of rules other than "Do what I can to not die, and get laid as much as possible while raking in as much money as I can before something does kill me." Not much of a long-term planner, mainly because he doesn't really see himself having a future that isn't piracy. It's all he really knows.

Apart from the Thalmor, I think we're all mostly Chaotic Neutral. Bunch of vagabonds and gladiators for hire

Sevari: Drugs, booze n' money. Chicks are a consequence.

I set out to make Sevari the asshole he was meant to be. Am I doing a good job of it? I'm also trying to tone down how much of an asshole he is to maintain at least a semblance of connection to the party. The party that bleeds together stays together, after all.

Paints is Chaotic Evil

• Love
Reactions: BKenScout
Paints is Lawful Good, of course. Or at least, that's how he likes to think of himself. It goes along with his oaths as a "knight": protect the weak, uphold the good, do justice onto evil, etc. In reality he may stray slightly into Neutral Good, but it's largely inconsequential in the larger scheme of things. Before he was a "knight," he was definitely Chaotic neutral.

Interesting, I don't really think any of our characters really fall on the Evil side of the axis. I suppose Juin would maybe come closest, since he feeds on innocent people, but he does that for survival so, eh. Depending on what the Thalmor are up to, I suppose Zaveed and/or Sevari could possibly fall closer to that side, though I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Honestly, I don't really see too many characters that could be considered Evil (relative to the standard DnD alignment spectrum) in roleplays, especially ones like these that generally focus on character interaction, companionship, and development. Anybody got any ideas on why this might be? Is it just no fun to write a sadist? Too unrealistic? Too clichéd? Too awkward to fit into a complex narrative?

Sevari: Drugs, booze n' money. Chicks are a consequence.

I set out to make Sevari the asshole he was meant to be. Am I doing a good job of it? I'm also trying to tone down how much of an asshole he is to maintain at least a semblance of connection to the party. The party that bleeds together stays together, after all.

Paints is Chaotic Evil
You're succeeding!

And yes, Soul and I set out to try and stay true to our original visions of Sevari and Zaveed because while we enjoyed how they turned out before, it wasn't quite what we set out to do. ASSHOLES, AWAAAAY!

Paints is Lawful Good, of course. Or at least, that's how he likes to think of himself. It goes along with his oaths as a "knight": protect the weak, uphold the good, do justice onto evil, etc. In reality he may stray slightly into Neutral Good, but it's largely inconsequential in the larger scheme of things. Before he was a "knight," he was definitely Chaotic neutral.

Interesting, I don't really think any of our characters really fall on the Evil side of the axis. I suppose Juin would maybe come closest, since he feeds on innocent people, but he does that for survival so, eh. Depending on what the Thalmor are up to, I suppose Zaveed and/or Sevari could possibly fall closer to that side, though I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Honestly, I don't really see too many characters that could be considered Evil (relative to the standard DnD alignment spectrum) in roleplays, especially ones like these that generally focus on character interaction, companionship, and development. Anybody got any ideas on why this might be? Is it just no fun to write a sadist? Too unrealistic? Too clichéd? Too awkward to fit into a complex narrative?
You would have loved my turian Shadow Broker agent, Darius Ryloc, who fit nicely into the neutral evil alignment because he quite enjoys murdering people for money and playing mind games with people before he kills them. He also sold out the people who pretty much raised and trained him to a rival criminal organization to erase his past (also, he did nothing to save his parents when he had the chance, since they were a liability), and now he treats his job like a traveling vacation where he gets the bonus of elaborately murdering people who get on the wrong side of his boss.

It is SUPER fun to write him.

I was also working on a Sith interrogator for a Star Wars RP a while back where he broke people through fear instead of that reliable old standby of anger, and he pretty much mutilated the shit out of himself to put his captives in an uncomfortable position, since it raised the unspoken question of "If I can do this to myself, what do you think I can do to you?"

I think the reason most people don't do evil characters is you need a framework to support them, and having someone conspicuously evil in a group setting immediately puts them at odds with each other, and unless there's a powerful incentive for them not to turn on each other, it doesn't make much sense for it to not happen.

I would just like to point out, Soul, your avatar fit your "Paints is Evil" post perfectly.

Reactions: O|NoSoul
You're succeeding!

And yes, Soul and I set out to try and stay true to our original visions of Sevari and Zaveed because while we enjoyed how they turned out before, it wasn't quite what we set out to do. ASSHOLES, AWAAAAY!
I think you're both doing a fairly good job on that front. Sevari moreso, just the way Soul writes him makes me imagine this palatable aura of irritation always hanging around him. Very believable as the kind of guy that's never happy unless he's in a drug-induced haze. Zaveed still seems amicable enough, though I like the idea that he's outgoing and friendly as a means to an end. Nice and sweet on the outside, but filled with a nougat-y bastard filling.

You would have loved my turian Shadow Broker agent, Darius Ryloc, who fit nicely into the neutral evil alignment because he quite enjoys murdering people for money and playing mind games with people before he kills them. He also sold out the people who pretty much raised and trained him to a rival criminal organization to erase his past (also, he did nothing to save his parents when he had the chance, since they were a liability), and now he treats his job like a traveling vacation where he gets the bonus of elaborately murdering people who get on the wrong side of his boss.

It is SUPER fun to write him.

I was also working on a Sith interrogator for a Star Wars RP a while back where he broke people through fear instead of that reliable old standby of anger, and he pretty much mutilated the shit out of himself to put his captives in an uncomfortable position, since it raised the unspoken question of "If I can do this to myself, what do you think I can do to you?"

I think the reason most people don't do evil characters is you need a framework to support them, and having someone conspicuously evil in a group setting immediately puts them at odds with each other, and unless there's a powerful incentive for them not to turn on each other, it doesn't make much sense for it to not happen.

I'm sure I would have. Unless I'm mistaken, those Shadow Broker agents were specifically set up to be antagonists, right? Weren't they in like direct opposition to the "main" protagonists? I think "Evil" characters definitely work with that sort of supporting framework, like you said. In a group that is "officially" set up to be composed of protagonist characters, Good and Neutral characters can jive together easily enough. Throw a blatant asshole into the mix, and suddenly things don't work as well.

Reactions: Dervish
I think you're both doing a fairly good job on that front. Sevari moreso, just the way Soul writes him makes me imagine this palatable aura of irritation always hanging around him. Very believable as the kind of guy that's never happy unless he's in a drug-induced haze. Zaveed still seems amicable enough, though I like the idea that he's outgoing and friendly as a means to an end. Nice and sweet on the outside, but filled with a nougat-y bastard filling.

I'm sure I would have. Unless I'm mistaken, those Shadow Broker agents were specifically set up to be antagonists, right? Weren't they in like direct opposition to the "main" protagonists? I think "Evil" characters definitely work with that sort of supporting framework, like you said. In a group that is "officially" set up to be composed of protagonist characters, Good and Neutral characters can jive together easily enough. Throw a blatant asshole into the mix, and suddenly things don't work as well.
Hey, if you figure out that people give you free drinks for smiling once in a while and that they'll keep doing so if you tell them tall tales about things that may or may not have happened, you realize that opens a lot of doors for easy obtainment. ;D It's also why he's probably effective as a double-agent, if people like him, even if he couldn't care less if they got gang banged by frost trolls and left to die, they don't suspect him of being suspicious, especially if other people are quick to do that for him. I'm predicting Juin's probably going to have to answer some questions sooner rather than later.

Indeed! It was a parallel group of secondary players/ characters to act as antagonists to the primary group of characters. It was a really fun experiment, and I kinda wish I rode it out a big longer because it's really fun having a group dedicated to basically being well-meaning misfits and another deadly professionals representing one of the most powerful and dangerous people in the galaxy.

Another problem is, I think, some people don't really get that an asshole character doesn't mean asshole player. I've seen some squabbles show up because somebody's character was being a bag of dicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.