The Easterling Army

She tilted her head and nodded, "High ground...got it." She wasnt particularly afraid of heights. She climbed trees for most of her life. She looks at Valtir and tilted her head the other way, "Do you do much reading about the places you visit?"

"Before I started travelling, reading was my life believe it or not. I loved to learn about history and geography and anything to do with the outside world..."

Freya nods, "I see... I chose to believe it, one must be knowledgeable on what he may encounter..."

"Hm." Valtir grunted with a nod. He remembered back to when he used to spend days at a time, going without food or water, simply because he found a scroll or a book or some parchment that interested him so much that it took priority over all else...

Freya shrugged slightly and reached for her pouches, thankful for the waterproof lining, she pulled out a small journal, opened it to the page where she last left off and started reading it, she echoed Valtirs movements, despite being slightly behind him, so she didnt fall or trip

They traveled downstream for a few hours before dusk was upon them. Valtir walked over to a thick tree a short distance away from the river, stabbed his lance into the ground, and sat down amongst the overgrown roots, getting comfortable.

Freya stopped and looked around, she nodded and placed her book back into its pouch. She looked up the tree and grinned, she could climb the tree and sit up on the branches. That was her first thought, and that's exactly what she did. As she climbed, she decided to choose a branch closer to the ground. Upon couching on her branch, she smiled and sat down, one of her legs dangling of the side while the other was bent and up on the branch. She leaned against the trunk and got comfy.

Valtir glanced up at her, noticing her leg dangling down. Out of nowhere, he had the mad urge to grab it and pull. He resisted, then laughed quietly at his thoughts and rested his head against the tree. "Goodnight, Freya..." He said, closing his eyes.

"goodnight, Valtir..." She nodded and looked up at the sky, watching it

The next few days carried on in a blur. Nothing happened that peaked there interest, and there was little conversation. After about a week, they reached the sloped of Emyn Muil and Valtir stopped.
"Here we are. This is the hard part. But as long as we keep an eye on the sun, it's unlikely we'll get lost. We wont be travelling at night. Are you ready?"

She nodded, "Of course, im always ready..." she looked around momentarily and then looked at him, "Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." He grumbled, and trudged away up the rocky slopes. The environment changed quickly the further he went. Little grass grew here and there was no sign of any trees. A mist was rolling over the hills further away. They would reach that soon...

Freya followed, watching her feet as she carefully walked up the rocky slopes, she may be an elf and have great balance, but even a loose rock could throw her off.

Valtir walked towards the mist, glancing at the sun once more, making sure that it was still morning. He looked forward, marking out the hills in his mind, deciding on the path they would take that would lead them as straight as possible, yet as far from danger ass he could manage. He turned back to Freya.
"You see that ridge up ahead? That's our first destination. We'll work our way from there once we get a good idea of he lay of the land..."

Freya tilts her head at their destination and nods, "Alright" She scanned their current location, memorizing the landscape.

Valtir took off along the rocky ground, walking at the speed you would walk if someone was following you down your street at night. He stared at the floor, not looking ahead, but taking in the ground 2 metres ahead of him. He really didnt want to be there.

Freya walked cautiously, keeping up with Valtir wasn't to much of an issue. She looked around, occasionally glancing at her feet, not wanting to mis-step

The trip ahead was a long and strenuous one, and Valtir knew he was going to regret it, somewhere deep inside him. He pressed on until they reached the peak of the first rocky hill, which gave a clear view of the seemingly endless expanse of rocky mountains before them. He turned to Freya.

"This is likely to be the hardest part of our journey to Minas Tirith. If you have any regrets, no is the time to state them."

Freya tilted her head and shrugged, "I dont have regrets to speak of.." she glanced at Valtir for a moment, "Do you have any regrets..?"

"Too many to speak of..." He said under his breath, before heading down the other side of the hill to the jagged labyrinth before them. He gathered in his mind as much as he could remember about his last attempt to ass through here, hoping it would be of some help to them. He now not only needed to focus on himself, but also on Freya. She wwould likely struggle in here, and he wasnt about to leave her behind.