The Depth Online

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tecumseh
37/37 HP | 15/15MP | 8/10 EXP
Desperado/Engineer

Tecumseh sighed when she gave him the nickname, knowing she didn't understand the reference in his name. Not one for historical references, I guess. Shaking his head, he noticed she had made eye contact with him and he quickly responded, "I'll try but I have to heal as well, so we may need to push it to ten. Hopefully, I'll make it back in time." With that, Tecumseh headed off to swing by the tinker site. Signing up rather easily, he received a tinker's toolkit before he once again headed off, this time for the various NPC shops.

Checking the various stores led Tec to a horrifying realization. Even if he sold all of his loot for 40 creds, he would come nowhere near the price of 468 credits for all the materials needed for Iron Chainmail's. The thought of being under-equipped made him shiver as he began to run through possible scenarios where he could be overwhelmed by monsters and enemy players. "Alternatives must be found." Turning away from the store, he marked the armor down as a lost cause unless there was a player willing to trade loot.

With that, he quickly healed up and headed back to meet with Pulse. Once at the spot, he checked to make sure he made it back on time before opening up Pulse's message. Grimacing as he read through it, he quickly fired back, "If Blank comes, expect him to stare off into space when a fight starts. Rallia has been M.I.A. for the last couple minutes as well, so I doubt she's good company. Still more reliable than Blank though." With his message sent, Tec began to wait for his new teammate to return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vivy, the Berserker Knight
- 32/32 HP - 10/10 MP - 1/10 XP -
"Wow. Woooooow." Vivianne gasped at the world that appeared around her. A veritable sea of grassy plains stretched in every direction, with rolling hills gently giving the land contours. She raised her head and squinted at the sun, then looked back down at herself and the several dozen people standing around her. Everything looked so lifelike, so realistic, she couldn't believe this was just a video game.

"Damn, Maria, I'm impressed. This looks so real! I can't believe games these days are so good!" she said excitedly to her younger sister. Compared to her avatar's towering height, Maria looked like a dwarf. She was currently scrutinizing Vivianne's avatar with squinted eyes. Finally, she spoke.

"Quit talking like a noob. Also, my name is Angelle now. What is with that look?"

"Huh? Oh, you told me I could smash things up in this game. Isn't a tall and strong avatar perfect for that?" Vivianne answered, puzzled. She had never played video games all her life, aside from simple cellphone games. Maria was more than ten years younger. She lived in a completely different world that she could never understand. After reconnecting with her during a holiday at home, Vivianne thought she would give it a try. Maybe it would help them get closer.

Maria shook her head in dismay, and continued her lecture. "No no no! This is a battlefield, and you need every advantage you can get! Muscles don't matter, stats do. And these..." Maria lifted her disproportionately large breasts, barely covered by her revealing robes. "...will make tons of fools help you. There are tons of desperate and lonely guys here. At least I'm actually a girl!"

"Alright, alright." Vivianne surrendered. Maria proceeded to give a detailed lecture on the basics of an virtual-reality online game. By the end of it she was almost regretting her decision. This seemed a lot more tedious than 'logging on and smash things up'. It'll be fun, she said.

"Stats... menus... inventory... I think I got the hang of it. What's next?"

"What's next, is we get a couple of suckers to join us and go smash things up."

Otame Ryu
Kuroibara - Warlock/Weaver
HP: 17/17 - MP: 16/16 - XP: 2/10

Otame came into the virtual reality, quickly noting the presence of two other PCs. Typical for the starting zone to have stragglers. She thought with a mental sigh. She quickly blocked them out of her mind and opened her character screen, reading off her stats and checking what they effected. It was a basic yet reliable system. Next she looked at her equipped gear. She didn't know why though. She knew what to expect. With flick of her hand she closed the Character screen and brought up the inventory checking it for any extra items she may have been given to start with. Finding nothing she closed the window and look around. First she noticed once again, the other players as well as certain NPCs around the area. NPCs were easily worth talking to. She also saw several different mob types and spotted one that looked suitably easy to test the abilities she had. The NPCs and the story would have to wait.

It was called a Harenn. A strange looking creature with relatively weak stats. She approached the mob at a normal speed, applying a stack of "Cursefire Strike" to her axe. She stopped just inside the range of "Transfusion" and cast the spell and would do so every time it came off cooldown until the Harenn was in melee range at which point she would attack using her axe.

She easily fell into the rhythm of the fight. She of course meant to talk to some others and gather more information on the game and maybe find if this game had a good questing system or not but she couldn't resist testing the combat system as soon as she could. Afterall, that was what could make or break a game like this. But then again, so could a lot of other things. She thought.

Rissa
18/18 HP | 19/19 MP | 6/10 XP

"Sixty."
"Eeeh? That's way too much! I'll give you forty."
"Six iron ore and three leather straps. Sixty credits."
"Forty-five."
"Sixty."

Rissa had found a tinkerer at the center of the market. She had some of everything, but this Skraps character was a miser. The wolf girl folded her hands together beseechingly, trying to appeal to the Engineer's motherly instincts. "That's too much! I still need a rifle for my friend, too!"

"The rifle is another sixty," was Skraps' indifferent response. She was bent over her workbench, and had only looked up once when Rissa first walked in. Rissa couldn't tell if she was aloof or just distracted by whatever she was working on; either way, it was like talking to a mannequin.

"I can trade for it! I have five harch logs for the rifle."

To Rissa's astonishment, Skraps raised her head and turned toward the wolf. Rissa wished she hadn't. Black bangs hung down to meet with a pair of goggles covering the tinkerer's eyes, leaving only a small nose and mouth visible on her face. Her frazzled hair was tied up in a sloppy bun and she wore grease-stained overalls with a dozen pockets. Rissa found herself wishing those goggles would look back down--the whole "crazy inventor" vibe was creeping her out.

"It's not enough."

"Five logs, two tryma feathers, fifty credits, and I'll smelt your ore into ingots. For the rifle, six iron ore, and three leather straps." Rissa could see the numbers running through the tinkerer's head. She had no doubt Skraps could read her own "please let this work" expression. They remained at an impasse for several long seconds.

"Sixty credits," Skraps answered at last.

Rissa's jaw dropped, but after the initial surprise she broke out in a fit of giggles. "Okay, okay. Sixty credits." Flicking through the menu, Rissa put up her offer and watched as Skraps placed her own. But instead of a gun, there was an extra twenty iron ore.
"I'll have the gun ready when you've brought that back," Skraps explained. Rissa nodded and the trade was accepted. For one small, tiny, miniscule, microscopic moment Rissa considered taking the iron and running. But that incredibly brief moment passed... and Rissa found herself already standing in front of the smelter. Maybe the moment wasn't all that brief, but the iron was worth a lot more than one rifle; who wouldn't be tempted by that? But she had a promise to keep. And for that matter, she had a teammate to get back to. At the very least, she needed to send him a message so he would know where she was.

"To Barong: Trading is so fun!!! I'm at the Smithy right now, and I'll be here for a few minutes. Can you pick me up on your way out of town?"

If she hurried, she could give Skraps the ingots, pick up the rifle, and run back here before Barong arrived. He could walk in to find her putting the finishing touches on his new skinning knife. Hopefully.

Pulse
45/47 HP | 16/16 MP | 1/10 XP

"Ten." Pulse agreed with a short nod, not wasting a second to even look back. At a brisk pace, she was off to the mining master NPC. She shook at the NPC's profile actually saying 'mining mater.' It wasn't like that was some kind of artisan, but that mattered not if he could just get her started.

"Mining kit, now." Pulse stated bluntly, using Sav's trick of bypassing flavour text. Even if the NPC seemed a little uncomfortable, that didn't bother her in the slightest. Normally she took her sweet time reading instructions, but Pulse only quickly scanned the instructions attached to her new pickaxe, which in spite of never having been used was far from a pristine condition. Speaking of items, though, Pulse opened the inventory tab to see what she could sell.

16 Broken Forunn Horn
17 Forunn Milk
1 Perfect Forunn Horn
2 Nexit Fur
3 Broken Nexit Fang
4 Aenara Silk
4 Carapace
2 Aenara Leg
1 Venom Sac

1 Standard issue rifle
2 Flashbangs
3 Explosive Grenades

The stat-less rifle was just as ready to be replaced as her gauntlets, so she could best NPC it... For the marvelous price of a single credit. Pulse didn't have the faintest clue about what to do with the rest, but she didn't have the time to figure out in ten minutes, but throwing it at the shop for 65 credits wasn't going to get her far. At least, not if she were to believe the prices players shouted. If those spiders were anything to go by, both a weapon and armour would be essential. Her luck wouldn't have it to get something like that done so easily, though... The economy wasn't a strong suit of Pulse's, nor was bartering for her grenades. She was better at figuring out the best farming spots, equipment selection, skill builds (although with the freedom TDO offered that seemed an almost – if not impossible task) but to actually buy and sell, especially in a brand new economy like this... Pulse lacked the initiative and networking ability.

And so, one profession and uneventful trp to the medic tent later, she went back to the place she would regroup with Tecumseh. With nothing besides her miner toolkit, Pulse was rather disappointed with her progress It was no different for now. From his message, she read Tec really didn't like blank. Pulse couldn't help but giggle. "I have my ways of dealing with players who expect to be carried." Pulse sent back, "We move..." She wrote, but Tec was already on the horizon, so she dropped the second part to her message and instead simply spoke up to her new party. "Ten's up. We're heading out. Hurry up or get left behind!"

Pulse nodded towards Tec as she approached him, gesturing him to go ahead. "Lead the way." After all, the only hunting ground she knew of was near the spaceship... And Pulse felt little for grinding on the spiders.

Barong
36/36 HP | 17/17 MP | 0/10 XP

Barong grinned as he saw both players party up with him."We aim to please. Good to meet you." He replied to Arashi and extended his hand, then nodded to Roland as well. "Don't be afraid to speak up, I don't bite, cowboy." He encouraged the player with a smile and a tip of an imaginary hat. Barong wanted to create a relaxed atmosphere from the get-go. After all, parties were more fun when everyone got along.

When Rissa's message came in, Barong instantly opened to read it. "Done and done." He replied eagerly to the wolf-girl, "I found two guys, we'll be there as soon as possible." Barong couldn't help but be excited, and it showed with a big grin on his face. If all went well, he'd have a new set of equipment ready soon; a prospect that got his inner child quite excited.

Barong turned back to his party, and spoke with excess enthusiasm; "We're just waiting for my friend to finish up some trading and crafting. In the meanwhile-" He folded his arms behind his head and ran over the party window once more. Well he'd just leveled up. Awkward, but pleasant. Something else Barong noticed, however, was...

"I think you and I have to heal up, Arashi." Barong suggested, seeing how both his and his fellow ranger's conditions were less than optimal. "The medical tent is that way, follow me. Rissa is waiting for us at the smithy, if you wanna go ahead, Roland. We'll be there right after."

When Barong healed up, he was almost tempted to use his regained MP on dashing to the smithy, but he might need it later (and Arashi probably wouldn't be capable of keeping up with him if he did). When the smithy came into sight, Barong didn't know how fast he'd run up to Rissa.

"Hey!" He called out, as he waved at her, stopping in front of the girl(?) and once in front of her, Barong asked with glistering eyes, "So, how did it go?"

Tecumseh
42/42 HP | 16/16MP | 3/10 EXP
Desperado/Engineer
"Got it," Tec shouted back at Pulse's direction and began walking to the southwest of camp. While waiting for his companion, he had been watching the other players passing by and noticed that a large number had been coming from the southwest. Based on their injuries, he assumed there was a major monster spawn area in that direction that would have nice loot odds. With a rough idea of a destination in mind, he slowed his pace so Pulse could catch up to him.

As he had a little free time to think, Tec began to think on his future goals in the game. Creating a guild would be difficult, especially with what looked to be a competitive player-driven economy both encouraging and possibility hindering teamwork, and he would need to work fast to establish himself as a reputable weapons maker and engineer. He would also need just as reputable teammates who were willing to work with others and weren't afraid of fighting opposing factions to maintain power. Pulse would be make a good partner and leader if he decided to keep from being too big of a target, so he wasn't worried about her in the least. No, what they needed wasn't another fighter but instead a moneyman.

While Tec had gone through an elective economics class in college, he was by no means an expert at analyzing financial data and spotting exploitable trends. He was great at shooting targets and gathering historical information but was certainly not some Medici when it came to money. Pulse as well didn't seem like the type to bother much with money outside of buying subsistence supplies, so he wouldn't bother her with keeping their finances in order.

Scratching his chin as he walked, Tec waited for Pulse to catch up before posing a question, "Did you see any players at the Landing Site who seemed to do well with money?"

Litari Lights
{18/26 HP} {12/19 MP} {1/10 XP}

Litari hadn't been debating on her choose as hard as she had made it appear. She had chosen Clothwork by this point, she could craft armors and such of leather or other cloth like materials, great for her class. Also something she loved. Finally deciding to rejoin Barong she sends a message his way, had refused the girl Rissa's friend request, and was trying to locate Barong at them moment.

Message to: Barong
I chose Clothwork, mind giving me your location so we can meet up again, it seems I need to trade with some people to collect some materials, once I've got materials I can hopefully craft us up some better armor, what do you say?

Hopefully he still would talk to her considering how long she had taken. With a sigh she looks in her inventory, she had some Harenn fur and some Tryma feathers...that didn't seem conducive to her crafting, maybe Barong could help her find the right material.

Vivy, the Berserker Knight
- 26/32 HP - 10/10 MP - 3/10 XP -
The two sisters weaved through the crowd of people, speaking to anyone who looked like they were interested. It didn't take long before she found a group of players ready to go, but there was a problem. They already had a tank- game terminology for a front-line fighter- and they didn't need another one. Vivy noticed Maria had something on her mind. The girl pulled on her arm and whispered into her ear.

"Psst. They look experienced. And good. I think I can get a lot of stuff off them! Just wait here for me, I'll be right back!"

She winked at her and skipped away with the party before she could protest. Vivy shook her head. What did she even come here for, then? The little girl couldn't take a hint. There was no way she would develop an interest in video games after three decades of ignorance.

There was no point crying over spoiled milk. Instead of wasting time waiting, Vivy decided to strike out alone. She had chosen a simple, face-smashing class. The short spear swinging from her back could be too difficult to figure out.

A short distance away from the landing site, where the crowd began to thin, she encountered her first victims. Hares, hopping in the grass, blissfully oblivious to the fate that awaited. Vivy readied her weapons, admiring their impeccable rendering and the realistic weight. She gave the pike a few testing thrusts.

She didn't remember she had skills. It was fortunate that one of them was a passive, and thus worked without her conscious input. Vivy marched upon the hapless being. It raised its beady eyes in curiosity, only to receive a painful stab in the gut by the pike. Vivy grinned. She could dig this.

The Harenn expired from the brutal attack, leaving behind a couple of items. She picked them up just in case they were useful. The items went straight into her inventory.

There were a couple of other animals roaming near her. She got through several Harenns, each of them unable to withstand her attack, before coming across something different: a fox, with two tails. Amused, Vivy advanced on it and began the assault. As expected, this one didn't die from her first attack. The fox leaped back and growled ferociously.

Vivy raised her shield in anticipation of an attack, but instead of leaping at her, the fox opened its jaws wide and released a bark that made her ears hurt. She noticed her health ticking down a smidge- so these animals had strange abilities too. Vivy replied with a second spear thrust- which missed. This time, the fox came in close and clawed at her. Checking her status, she found it had barely done any damage at all. The third thrust caught the fox on the side, slashing through. An out-of-place damage number told her she had shaved off another 7 HP off the creature.

She managed to take a few more hits before downing the fox. A good fight, she decided. She was beginning to really enjoy the game, much to her surprise. The in game clock told her nearly 20 minutes had passed since she split up with Maria. When are they going to meet up again?

[Roland]
[Desperado/Medic]
[HP:19/19| MP:16/16| XP: 0/10]

Roland nodded and watched at Barong ran off. Already, he was evaluating the guy. He seemed a good leader. the type that could watch over many men at once. But he was also a bit easygoing, for Roland's tastes. He would just have to accept that, it seemed. He slid the monster pistol back into his holster and started off to the Smithy, not really keen on getting there in a hurry. He spotted a few other players on his way there. He also saw a few NPC's. He would have to try talking to one of them.

Once he got to the smithy, he took an empty bullet casing from his pocket and put it between his teeth. He wasn't sure why he did this, but he wasn't going to question it, for now. He looked around. Who was he looking for, again? It was a girl, he remembered that. Only problem was that this player base was pretty diverse. He had heard a name.... what was it? Rise? Ritta? Rissa! That was it! "Is there one Mrs. Rissa, about?"​

Pulse
45/47 HP | 16/16 MP | 2/10 XP

Pulse hated to admit to it, but Tec's question wasn't one she could feasibly answer to. "I can point out who shouts the loudest." She replied dryly, "But I can't hack into their inventories."

That last bit was unfortunate for Pulse. Without her tools, she felt rather naked in the game. Granted there wasn't anything for TDO out yet and it had been her intent to play a little before extracting data... Her quest with Sav had been nostalgic in a silly way like that, but right now the fact she couldn't log out was beginning to bother her a little. She would have to get further in the game the old-fashioned way; on her own.

"Let's just-" She started, but was interrupted by the notification message of Blank leaving the party without a word. Pulse grumbled inwardly, disappointed more that he escaped from what she'd planned for the guy than actually feeling it as a loss for the party.

Blank's departure was quickly followed by Ralia's message, who told Tec and her she wanted to stick around town for a little longer. "That trims the fat off the party." Pulse surmised cynically, "Listen. I'm not good at money." She admitted, "I am good at optimising strategies. Let's go find test some place to put my mining to use. We can trade the location information to an ambitious crafting guild."

Barong
36/36 HP | 17/17 MP | 1/10 XP

While Roland was asking around for Rissa, Arashi (who had seemed a little distracted ever since getting near the crafting stations) walked up to him, "Hey," Arashi said. "I'm going to look at some of the crafting options. I'll see you guys later, I guess." And he then left the party, walking back into the market area.

"Roland, Roland over here!" Barong talked into his party channel, as he waited for Rissa to respond (silently damning the rising anticipation) when he saw he had gotten a little too far away from the desperado/medic and... Their other ranger who had just left them. "That's odd," Barong pondered. "Where'd Arashi go?"

A second later, a message popped up from Litari. Clothwork, Barong thought to himself. His and Rissa's classes did use leather armour... And if he remembered correctly clothwork included leatherwork. "I'm at the crafting stations, with Rissa." Barong responded to Litari. "We're going on a little hunt first, but you're welcome to join us." He said, throwing her a party request. "Better hurry, though, we're heading out as soon as we can!"

Rissa
18/18 HP | 19/19 MP | 7/10 XP

Rissa was mildly shocked when Mr. Tries-too-hard called her name around his bullet cigar. For the time being, she ignored him; Barong would be there any second, and she only had her hammer made. Any longer, and...

"Hey!" Barong called, honing in on her like a crow on its shining prize. Rats, Rissa lamented as she hammered an ingot into his skinning knife. She wasn't ready. And this took way more concentration than she'd anticipated. "So, how did it go?" was his instant inquiry, of course. Rissa kept at her task, not willing to risk breaking it by replying. She could feel Barong growing more and more antsy while she delayed him--an eternity that lasted five seconds--so she couldn't help but tease him a little more.

When Barong turned to call out to Roland--their new party member whose name had appeared in Rissa's display earlier--the wolf girl quickly switched out the finished knife with the glowing ingot she had left prepping in the forge. She hammered it down into a dagger (a process the game simplified immensely), then started lighter taps along its edges to refine the blade (apparently the most difficult part of forging a weapon). When she was at last content with it, she carefully lowered the weapon into the cooling bucket, pulled it out, and applied the leather strips to it.

Finally Rissa turned to Barong with a wide smile. She held up the newly crafted dagger like a prize trophy. She so dearly wanted to use it now that she had it, but he was going to die if he didn't find out about his gun soon. Well, he'd either die or kill; she didn't know him well enough to say which just yet.

"Okay! That's a whole lot harder than I expected, but I'm getting the hang of it! Here's your skinning knife; the durability is a little low, but in my defense that was my first attempt at a cutting edge." Rissa sent him the knife, but paused just a moment longer before adding, "Oh yeah, I bought this for you, too," and giving him the Basic Rifle from Skraps. Rissa did well to suppress her giggles, but she couldn't stop grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

Then her eyes found Roland. Mr. Tries-too-hard himself stood there, bullet and all. Rissa's ears leaped straight up in surprise. "Ah. Ah-ha. You must be Roland, then?" Rissa forced her ears down again and smiled--not wide like she always did for Barong, but the corners of her mouth were turned up around her fangs. The girl had to bite down all her thoughts about this guy, and quickly; they were stuck together now. "Rissa. Sorry, I don't have a new pistol for you. You'll have to manage until we find someone with a spare."

Sir Lancelot
37/37 HP | 10/10 MP | 6/10 XP

Sir Lancelot trudged through the landing site alone. Nadia had turned down his offer. He wasn't surprised; after an introduction like that--collision, crash, and ear canals--anyone who would say, "Sure, I want you following me around," had to be crazy. Next time he would keep his mouth shut long enough for his brain to catch up.

The next time came quickly. He still needed a new pickaxe and shield. He was browsing the marketplace, even though he was totally broke, when an extremely pleased girl emerged from one of the workshops. The small girl with furry ears animatedly thanked whomever was inside before running off. It was worth a shot, Lance decided; a lot of shops had customers grumbling as they left, so a shop owner that was thanked for their deals had to be good. He made his way through the crowded street and slipped into the workshop.

Lance had been expecting a change from the hubbub of the street to a serene silence like in the Medical Tent. Instead he found a different kind of bustle. Tinkerers were bent over a dozen workbenches applying their craft. Guns took shape under deft fingers; bows were bent and strung; at the back he could see two men working on the beginnings of a ballista. The young man stopped and stared in stunned amazement.

One green-skinned girl near the front of the shop noticed him. She looked him up and down, then called over her shoulder, "Skraps! Ya got a kaannniggit!"

"Woohoo!" cried one man on the opposite wall. He thrust an arm in the air, then brought it down to point at the identical-looking man beside him. "That's a point..." He pulled his hand back and stuck his thumb to his own chest. "...for the Drew-man!"

"Oh lay off. Tally's still only twelve to nine. There will be more mages soon."

"Kid, ignore the twins," the girl who first called out advised. "That's the girl yer lookin' for." She pointed to a woman bent over a rifle three benches down.

"Ah, thanks... um?"

"Hah? Oh. Yana."

"Thanks, Yana."

"Whatever. Yer not payin' me, so get movin'." It sounded gruff, but the girl was smiling. Lance nodded, returned her smile, and walked past.

"So, um... Skraps?" Lance began hesitantly. He didn't receive any response, but he pressed on anyway. "I need a pickaxe and a shield. I know you're not a smith, but... um..." His voice dwindled to nothing. She wasn't even listening to him. All her attention was on aligning the rifle's sight. He stood there in an awkward silence for several seconds, unsure of how to proceed.

Skraps sighed heavily and set down her tools. "Look, kid, if you want something then ask. Just standing there isn't going to get you anything, and you're so nervous it's putting me on edge. A pickaxe is sixty cred. A buckler is eighty, a kite shield is one-twenty, and a tower is one-sixty. Are you buying?"

"Ah! Um, I don't... have money..." Lance explained weakly.

"Stop stammering and just say it. Then you have something to barter?" In comparison, everything Skraps said was clipped and direct. Her voice was commanding.

"Yes! I have twenty iron ore!" Lance stated a little too loudly. A few tinkerers nearby stifled laughs.
"Fifteen will get you the buckler, twelve will get you the pick. Which do you want?"
"Wha? But I need both!"
"You can't afford it. Which one?"

Lance was downcast, and his face showed it plainly. Which was more important? He needed the shield for protection, but the pick was his best chance to earn enough to buy a shield. So he needed the pick more. But if those forunn were still patrolling his iron vein, he couldn't use the pickaxe without a shield.

"Fine. Thirty ore for both," Skraps stated, to Lancelot's surprise.
"But I only have-"
"Credit. You'll bring me the other ten later."
"Okay!" Lance agreed happily. A trade notification appeared and he rapidly accepted, putting up his twenty ore for the iron pickaxe and buckler. The trade went through. A second later, another message appeared before his eyes saying Skraps wanted to trade mailing info. Of course she needed to be able to contact him to make sure he wouldn't welch. He agreed to that one as well--and actually felt a little happy that the woman was on his contact list. She was the first; that practically made her a friend. "I'll get you that iron right away! Thank you!"

Sir Lancelot left that workshop a happy knight. He sprinted for the town's edge, toward the iron vein he'd left out on the plains. He wanted to show Skraps that he was a man of honor; he would give her the other ten iron within the hour!

Back in the shop, Yana sidled over to Skraps. She spoke despite the trader appearing engrossed in the rifle once again. "How bad did you take 'im fer?"

"Thirty for a ten-five."

Yana shook her head incredulously. "Ye ripped 'im off two-to-one and he's thankin' ya for it. I can't tell if he's stupid or yer brilliant."

"Both."

Yana chuckled. This woman wasn't one for false anything, be it kindness or modesty. "Think he's comin' back?"

"Definitely. Sir Lancelot is a good boy."

The name was almost enough to floor Yana, but she put her amazement to the side. "That's not what I meant. Think he'll survive out there?"

Incredibly, Skraps stopped working. She pondered that for several drawn-out moments. At length she answered, "Yes. He can play. He'll just be broke the whole time."

Yana laughed, nodding her head in agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tecumseh
42/42 HP | 16/16MP | 4/10 EXP
Desperado/Engineer
"The loudest ones are usually the most foolish, so no to that. The hacking part seems like something you would do," Tec responded in a bored tone as he looked over the notifications of Blank and Rallia's departures from the team. The fat may be done with, but we also lose the good meat as well. Disappointed with the turn of events, he grumbled, "Note to self, punch Blank the next time we meet him."

At least I have a strategist with me. Tec's mind was already imagining scenarios such a person would be helpful in. His education as a historian had taught him that nearly every war had been a battle of stratagems and counter-stratagems, to be won by those who were both the most intelligent and the most charismatic. Guess I'll still be the face of the team then. Continuing on walking, Tec nodded in agreement with her plan, "So keep an eye out for and mark down any caves and mine shafts, got it." Hopefully, the search wouldn't take long and there wouldn't be any real trouble.

Litari Lights
{18/26 HP} {12/19 MP} {2/10 XP}

Upon receiving the party invitation she accepts it and quickly says hello to the people she doesn't know but turns her attention to Barong, "This sucks a bit I need lots of materials to even be able to make light armor, I kinda wanna go hunt some Nexits... Because whatever a Tholsepar is I only need one of its fur to make some fur cloth... So it's probably strong and I need healed..."

Litari sighs a bit as she waits for his response while going through her inventory to see what she had. Looking closely she realized she had Harenn meat and lucky feet that she didn't need as well as Tryma feathers and raw Tryma legs... This causes her to speak again. "Do any of you people have any Harenn or Nexit fur you don't want? I have 23 Harenn meat, 5 lucky feet, 3 Tryma feathers, and 4 raw Tryma legs I can trade for any fur you don't need."

Ruins Archer
{30/30 HP} {11/11 MP} {5/10 XP}

Archie had wandered back to the starting zone after that fight with the Nexits, he had managed to help that other player when he'd been informed of new features at the Landing Zone, job professions. This interested him greatly one of the jobs had to be something that would allow him to tame animals, after all what was a Ranger without a pet companion. So he goes to seek out the Shepherding Trainer.

{Achievement Obtained: Get your feet wet +5 XP Ruins Archer levels up, level 2 Ranger/Bard
Skill points distributed to, 1 INT, 2 STR, 2 VIT
New Stats: 36 HP, 12 MP}

{36/36 HP} {12/12 MP} {0/10 XP}

Pulse
45/47 HP | 16/16 MP | 3/10 XP

Seemed like something she'd do? Pulse wasn't sure if that was an insult or compliment. She eyed Tec somewhat oddly, but shrugged off the question a few seconds later she decided she did not care much for it. Though, at the notion of Tec punching Blank a glimpse of a smile briefly showed on her face. She showcased her gauntlet weapon, and slyly suggested, "Allow me."

As they headed out, a knight with pick-axe in hand would rush past them. "Curious." Pulse said to Tecumseh. "We'll tail him." She suggested as she pointed at the running Sir Lancelot, and started running herself. He seemed either excitable or industrious... Traits Pulse knew she could use or abuse...

However, this sir would be running head-first into a gathering of forunn. They were lazing around still, or grazing, rather, but they'd soon be alerted to the running man...

Barong
36/36 HP | 17/17 MP | 2/10 XP

Gleeful like a child, Barong received his rifle. It was a lot heavier than his handgun, which he earnestly felt powerful just from that. His skinning knife had already vanished into his inventory. "This is great, thanks Rissa!"

He showed off his new toy to Roland and Litari, as he shadow-practiced aiming with it. "Pretty cool, right?" He smirked, too far off now to consider Roland might be jealous. He pointed it at the tips of some of the constructions on the landing site, miming 'Bang, bang.' with his lips, before holding it up like a revolver and blowing away the imaginary smoke.

"Let's try this baby out." Barong said, as he strapped the rifle to his back. "And I don't think you'll need to worry about furs by the time we're done with this, Lit." He replied to their mage's concerns with a smirk. They were going to head out into the fields, to the first batch of the little rabbits they could find. Or anything they could strip leather from. After all...

And so they headed back into the plains, in search for a group of Harenn. Once they spotted one in the distance, Barong took the rifle from his back to equip it once more and coked his gun pointing at the large jackrabbits. "There's our prey," He whispered, "The higher leveled ones can call for friends. We want this, to rack up as many kills as possible." Barong said, confident that with his new gun he could take them. "Now then, ladies and gentleman, get in position and fire at will!"

Tecumseh
42/42 HP | 16/16MP | 5/10 EXP
Desperado/Engineer
Tec caught the glimpse of Pulse's smile and returned it, "My pleasure, the image of you beating him senseless is pretty funny." It's actually pretty hilarious, a small girl with big robotic fists beating the crap out of a guy. That's sounds ridiculous enough to be in anime.

Hearing her command, he nodded and followed her in the chase. He noted the man's rather odd appearance, thinking it didn't fit much with the theme of the game. Then again, I'm a old west cowboy so I don't have room to talk. Wonder if he uses a shovel as a weapon...

After a few short minutes, Tec spotted the herd of goat-like men that Lancelot was on a collision course. Slowing for a moment, he quickly shot Pulse a message to see if she wanted to wait for the knight to be cornered by the beasts. The chance to save the guy and possibly make him feel indebted to them was too good to pass up. A tad bit underhanded, but we need allies. Tec's smirk widened to greater lengths at the thought.

Savage
34/42 | 1/9 | 8/10 XP​

After splitting from Pulse Sav raised his arms high above his head and forced a pop in his lower back. Though it didn't yield the same relaxing effect on his body lying in a bed, the noise did comfort him. Nearest the medical tent were four people dueling in turn. Once someone lost they would go to the tent and heal up, while the victor would collect a few coins or materials as a bounty. Crafting and grinding made money, but at this rate gambling on dueling seemed to be a far easier method of building his personal stockpile. Not to mention if Sav could kill those dammed spiders in nearly three strikes he ought to do well enough against a single human player, particularly one that didn't expect him to hit as hard as he did.

With a self approved twist of the neck Sav entered the small ring formed by the dueling players. The sub class system made identifying exactly whom was what more difficult though the basic gear choice gave some guidelines. Two of the players were obvious tanks. They relied on shields and heavier armour and even fought with a focus on defence. Of the other two one held a spear, likely a soldier, and the other knives, likely one of the rogue classes. None seemed to have any ranged proficiency, aside from the slight advantage a spear held over shorter arms. Sav thought himself fairly even among their ranks, perhaps in the realm of flattening the rogue and soldier in a few blows. He weighed his choices and chose his words.

"How pray tell does the betting work?"

Sounding as nonchalant as the buffoon could, he stole the attention of the rogue and soldier. The rogue piped up with a squeaky voice. They were either a young boy, or particularly squeaky woman, not that it particularly mattered in the virtual world.

"Well normally off good faith I suppose you could say. We all agree on a price, and if you cheap out we'll just follow you until you can pay up I suppose."

For the little bark the rogue had they certainly wanted to show their teeth. Sav grinned in response and stepped in amongst the two not in combat to continue his discussion.

"So if I'm willing to offer up some grenades as a bet what would you counter with?"

"Against who?"

"Whomsoever you wish."

The rogue grinned slyly, as though they had some trick up their sleeves that would pull a rug over Sav's eyes. He wondered who she would pick, expecting one of the two tanks to be the challenger.

"Well what say I offer you some coin then? Say 40 credits?"

"Say 60 instead."

"That's a bit steep. Nearly three times the price."

"Yeah but you have a trick up your sleeve."

The soldier laughed. "He's sure as Hell got you figured out. C'mon, not like you'll lose to him anyway right? You're already undefeated among us."

Glaring back to the soldier the rogue silenced them after they'd already said too much. Sav could tell they were playing with a menu, weighing the pros and cons of potentially loosing so many credits in a single duel. Whatever they had lined their pockets with was evidently enough to foster a sense of self confidence in them.

"Tell you what. I'll do 60, but if you lose and win your next duel, I get the wager."

"Whatever you want."

In agreement they both exchanged half hearted smiles, neither showing the cards they held to their chest. Sav wondered briefly if the rogue really was going to be his target, or if they would send the soldier or another friend after him in lieu. Honestly his only worry was that they knew some kind of poison based skill and one that allowed them to stealth themselves. Simply pricking him with the poison and then hiding until he was dead seemed like a dirty handed trick and one that would be pretty hard for him, or anyone at this point to combat.

There was no need to wait for an invitation as it chimed in front of Sav asking whether he would accept it or not. Pulling his axe and gripping it in hand he pressed on the flashing 'ACCEPT' and stepped forward towards the rogue, Belerix.

Immediately charging them with axe drawn Sav activated his Sever skill. Slamming downwards towards the head of his adversary Sav expected for the strike to counter, but was instead held fast. The nimble little rogue had stopped his behemoth axe with a single dagger held in their left hand. He realized it must have been one of their skills and braced for an attack as a counter. Try as he may he couldn't step back far enough for the daggers slash not to strike him in the abdomen. Wincing at the pain Sav eyed his health bar and erupted into a riotous laughter.

"What? Only Four! We'll be here all day boy, and I can swing until the sun goes down." His final words brought the axe down in a wide sweep again the rogue, visibly surprised by the frailty of their attack stumbling to dodge the blow. Instead they relied on their skill to save them from the blow. Again Sav watched as a dagger swept at his abdomen dealing little damage. His laughter grew louder and he swung again. This time the axe swept low and from the left, cutting in a crescent aimed at the head of the rogue. Stepping back quickly enough they evaded the blow and took up their stance again.

Pushing forward Sav activated his skill again, sweeping widely and, whether by luck or skill, catching the rogue along the hip and sending them flying to the ground. If his math was right it would only take Sav one more his to deal a death blow and bring this duel to a swift end.

The two were pitched in a fierce battle now and Sav was excited once again. The spider had been a challenge, but frankly it was one he would gladly do without. They deserved to burn to death and he wanted them too, but at the moment the most he could muster was crushing one at the cost of nearly all of his HP. This rogue however was far less lethal, and far more entertaining to smash around with his axe.

Neither duelist advanced until Sav saw the rogue wince from pain and instinctively move a hand to their hip. The bleed damage had begun. However little it may have been it would be enough to press the rogue into attacking, and if Sav could muster a single counter before they hit him another eight times he would win, and everyone knew it.

"Damnit!"

The rogue charged Sav with a hail marry of attacks that would make any professional fighter stare gawking. Trying to jump forward and roll under an expected axe swing the rogue instead rolled face first into the foot of Sav kicking out towards their head. It connected and with an echo of laughter mixed with cheers Sav raised his arms in the air, pirouetting above the downed avatar of his enemy. Drawing the applause of the other duelers, whom had finished their own fight, Sav scratched his itch.

"How in the hell did this person win against you lot? You all have more VIT than I do, I can tell by looking."

"She used grenades on us."

"She run out or something?"

"You just hit her too damn fast."

Triumphantly placing a hand on his hip and mimicking standing on a freshly hunted beast Sav sent a trade window to the downed rogue.

"A deal's a deal."

Reactions: Ray C

Sir Lancelot
31/37 HP | 10/10 MP | 8/10 XP

Lance had his landmark in sight: a hill with some of the grass torn off its side in a shape vaguely resembling Sleipnir, the eight-legged horse. Unless he approached from a little more to the left; then it looked more like Yoshi with a Goomba on his back. Except that when he got closer the Goomba would sort of expand into a phonograph on top of a table. Okay, so it wasn't much of a landmark. But that was the low hill in which Sir Lancelot had found an iron vein. That much he was certain of.

His eyes were trained on the hill, seeking out the Goomba in the soil, so he didn't see the score of Forunn until he was right in the middle of them. Even then he wouldn't have noticed if not for their cries. Too late Lancelot realized he should have been moving slower and paying attention to the area around him. Then he realized, again too late, that he should have kept running and hoped to make it through okay; alas, he had slowed his steps when the anxiety of being surrounded by enemies set in.

Forunn♂ - Level 1 - ★☆☆☆☆

Forunn♂ - Level 2 - ★☆☆☆☆

Forunn♂ - Level 3 - ★☆☆☆☆
Forunn♂ - Level 3 - ★☆☆☆☆

Lancelot pulled out his Iron Buckler. Then he remembered to put up the pickaxe. Then the first Forunn charged. The biggest goat of the bunch, naturally. Lance braced himself and prepared to counter with his shield; the beast would take a hit far harder than he!

Forunn Level 3 attacks: 5 damage.
Sir Lancelot attacks: 3 damage.

The Forunn's headbutt met his shield, but the buckler did precious little for the knight. As the red numbers shot up into the air, fear began to creep into Lancelot's thoughts. He could barely beat this single Forunn; he didn't stand a chance against the entire herd. And with him standing in the center, there was no chance for discretion this time. Another dozen headbutts were all coming his way already.

'I'm sorry, Skraps. I wasted your kindness.' With a weak smile born of hopeless acceptance, Lancelot picked a direction and charged the little monsters. "IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!" Lancelot screamed at the Level 1 Forunn he faced, then brought his shield smashing down on the creature. It was the best battle cry he had for a last stand. And a small part of him prayed that the words would turn out to be an invincibility cheat like they were in Warcraft 2.

Forunn♂ - Level 1 - ★☆☆☆☆ 4/9
Forunn♂ - Level 1 - ★☆☆☆☆ 9/9

Forunn♂ - Level 2 - ★☆☆☆☆ 13/13

Forunn♂ - Level 3 - ★☆☆☆☆ 17/17
Forunn♂ - Level 3 - ★☆☆☆☆ 14/17

Pulse
40/47 HP | 16/16 MP | 5/10 XP

"I like the way you think." Pulse approved. Tec seemed a practical man, and Pulse was most pleased about that. Even if he had taken her by surprise, she'd not expected to find such a shrewd companion so soon.

Before them, Lancelot had engaged in battle against overwhelming numbers. Pulse postponed summoning her Godhand to preserve her mobility; it could come in handy in a fight this big. Pulse exchanged a quick look with Tec, before swapping out the strategy-meeting for a frontal assault. She dashed forward at the forunn as fast as she could, hoping to exploit their formation now they were still focused on batting down the knight. At the end of her run, Pulse planted her left foot and redirected her momentum into a counterclockwise punch; right in the back of a forunn; sending it flying to it's death and scattering into nothingness. For a second there, she could have sworn she felt like Savage.

Confident in her ability, Pulse readied a second attack against another forunn. She moved forward quickly, putting a straight right between the eyes of the nearest goatman. It's health dropped to 1, but in spite of it's critical condition, the little monster countered at it's full strength; dealing a full 5 damage.

It was a good thing Pulse was used to a share of bruising in real life, or the pain would have thrown her off. She took the hit; a headbutt to the stomach, before slamming down her foe into the ground with a downwards strike; crushing it like the former forunn. So she could take the level 1's in a single hit, but not 2 and up. Not without her Godhand at least... Still; "You two engage as them of them as possible. I'll play clean-up." Pulse suggested for a strategy. Tec had the advantage of his range, Lancelot had his shield, and she had the power to take out the trash.

Forunn♂ - Level 1 - ★☆☆☆☆ 4/9
Forunn♂ - Level 1 - ★☆☆☆☆ 0/9

Forunn♂ - Level 2 - ★☆☆☆☆ 0/13

Tecumseh
37/42 HP | 10/16MP | 7/10 EXP
Desperado/Engineer
"On it, señorita!" Tec shouted back as he stopped in his run and let Pulse get ahead of him. Reaching into his coat, the man fished out a heavy metal box that he tossed onto the ground before him. Hitting the dirt, the box sprung open, releasing a seemingly World War Two-era light machine gun looked rather out of place in the game's futuristic setting. Setting his rifle down, Tec quickly commandeered the gun and took aim. No time for MP management, time to thin out the weaklings!

Bringing two of the woundless level ones into his sight, Tec gave them no chance to escape as his rounds tore through their bodies, dealing a full 12 damage each. The Forunns dropped dead instantly, causing Tec to smirk as he picked up his rifle and took aim at another level one Forunn that had already been wounded by the knight and now sat at a measly four HP. Taking a quick breath, he squeezed off a shot and hit the beast in its neck, causing the goat to collapse as it clawed at its neck due to choking to death. "Not even worth the price of ammunition," Tec remarked at the sight of the animal's frailty.

However, the snaps of his gunshots had brought the enemy's attention to him. Already, three Forunns had made their way over to him, one level two and the others level ones. The level two seemed the angriest at its comrades' deaths and charged at Tec, head butting his torso. The blow knocked the cowboy on his ass, his breath nearly emptied because of the five damage inducing hit. However, he maintained his hold on his rifle and collected himself, bringing his gun to bare before the beasts. Looks like staking our claims isn't going to be easier in larger groups after all.

Rissa
18/18 HP | 19/19 MP | 8/10 XP

Rissa made a big show of evaluating the furry herd. She cocked her head to the side and put a finger on her chin, "hmmm"-ing for several moments. They looked weak enough, but rabbits were fast. She had a gunman and a magess with her. They needed to kill before being touched. But it really wouldn't look good for a wolf to be frightened by a few bunnies. "I'll be right down there," Rissa stated, pointing to a point in the grass halfway between them and the Harenn. "I'll leave luring to you, okay?" Rissa grinned--her signature, fanged smile--and ran off without waiting for a reply.

Rissa sprinted toward the Harenn, then skid to a halt and crouched. The wolf girl pressed herself low in the grass and brandished her dagger. This was exactly how she wanted it: the Harenn couldn't see her, and she couldn't see them. But it wouldn't be long before she would hear them bounding for the small rise behind her. Her heartbeat accelerated, her breathing deepened, and adrenaline began to flow through her. Every thought she had was focused into her ears, standing erect on her head as they sought out the tell-tale thumping of hare feet. And on her face, a small, genuine smile picked up the corners of her mouth. Rissa was excited.

Sir Lancelot
19/37 HP | 10/10 MP | 10/10 XP

Lancelot couldn't believe his good fortune. Two wonderful players swept in the save him, decimating the goatmen's ranks and drawing their attention away. Immediately Lancelot pivoted his run to put himself near the man with a rifle. After only three steps, he realized how much of a mistake that would be; that man already had enough attention on him without Lance giving him the rest. The knight turned back right, stumbling slightly as his feet sought purchase for the turn but ultimately moving a few feet that direction.

A level 3 Forunn sailed through the air right behind him. His unintended feint had made the beast miscalculate its attack. The other level 3 was in the air right behind it, this one closer to being on target. Lance didn't want to trade that hit; he let his stumble become a fall, hitting the dirt and allowing the Forunn to sail over him. He heaved himself right back up to his knees and brought his buckler around to face the pack of level 2 that were coming right behind the pair of 3's. He winced and braced the shield as best he could while kneeling. One, two, three, four Forunn smashed into and bounced off his shield, and finally the trailing level 1 hit it and ground to a halt.

Lance felt like he would vomit. His arm ached all the way to his sternum, and he wasn't sure he could stand. The mobs around him seemed to be shaking it off much faster. Those two level 3's were undoubtedly readying their next assault. Lance grit his teeth together and tried to move his shield. Fresh pain shot up his arm; if he hadn't already had his jaw clenched shut, he would have screamed. He really didn't think that was an option for the time being; instead, Lance raised his right fist and punched down on the level 1 Forunn as it tried to rise. It fell dead with a satisfying burst of sparks.

Lance knelt, his shield arm effectively disabled, with four level 2 Forunn spread to his left and right and two level 3 Forunn somewhere behind him. Killing a single level 1 Forunn didn't really improve his situation, but it felt good. He had distracted as many of the Forunn as he could, just as the lady asked. Maybe his knight's duty was over and he could just collapse for a while. Maybe the next wave of attacks would make him collapse anyway.

Forunn♂ - Level 2 - ★☆☆☆☆ 9/13