The Debt (Lottie X Zaira)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Alright." she laughed as she was following after him once down the hallway. "Well I wanted to ask him about the picture in his room and the lady who is in it." she told him. "I saw a picture of the four of you with whom I am assuming is your mother. But this woman didn't look like her. And it looked pretty old too." she explained. "So I was guessing that it was maybe your guys grandmother or something." she told him. "Marie told me she tried to ask once, but she said she got no responds from him. And I am not going to leave him be until he tells me who it is." she carried on.

More or less she was rambling now as they continued to walk down to the dinning room. "Maybe you have an idea of who it is." she said looking up at him. "I mean you are his brother and everything, so maybe you could tell me." she suggested.

"Oh, you are a curious one, then." stated with an amused smile. Of course he knew who that woman was, but he would love to hear the reaction of Lester to that question. It wasn't that he enjoyed his brother suffering or anything, but c'mon, it had already been a long, long time, so he needed to get over her. "You know, you should ask him. If he is all mysterious about it, I don't think I can go around telling things he doesn't want to share." answered, looking as a truly caring brother. That was the worst thing about Jonathan; unlikely the small one Oliver, he was a great liar.

Already close to the dining room, Lester found both of them, following their smell. As soon as he reached them, he looked at Jon with a deadly gaze. Whatever it was that he was doing, it couldn't be good. His brother, on the other hand, smiled widely seeing him. "We were just talking about you, bro." he stated, but Lester answered with another tough look. He then turned to her. "Come on, Opal, there's something I need to show you." said as he put one hand on her back to gently pull her away from his brother. "But, wait, what was it that you wanted to ask him, darling?" Jon added, turning to her.

"I really am." she agreed "My dad told me that is going to get me into a whole world of trouble one day, but hey it hasn't so far, right?" she asked happily. When Jonathan said that he couldn't answer such a question since it wasn't his place, Opal couldn't up but look up at him with admiration. "Wow, I don't know why some of the other workers said you guys were kind of scary." she told him. "I mean you seem nothing but nice. My sisters on the other hand wouldn't mind spilling all kinds of secrets about me!" she exclaimed. "But that's really nice of you to keep it to yourself like that." she said lightly patting his back.

When she saw Lester she couldn't help but smile at him, though her smile turned to confusion as she saw the look that he was giving his brother and that smile slowly started to fall. When he placed her hand on his back she was about to just leave it at that until his brother asked if she wanted to question him. "Oh!" She said quickly as she pulled away from his touch and moved a couple of inches from him. "So I was cleaning your room right?" she asked like he should of known the answer. "And well I couldn't help but see a picture of a really pretty woman. Even prettier then me, a shocker huh?" she laughed.

"I was wanting to know who she was." she explained. "I mean the picture looks really old, so I am thinking she might be your grandmother. If so I can see where all of you got your good looks from." she said crossing her arms and nodding her head like that could be the only possible answer. "But Marie said you didn't like to talk about it all and you ignored her the last time she asked. But I won't be ignored good sir." she told him. "I will keep asking everyday if I have to!"

Jonathan smiled widely with her words. So the workers were talking bad about him behind his backs? Well, that wasn't surprising. Anyway, he was glad she liked him, because even if that time he wouldn't be able to take a taste of her because of the party pooper of his brother, he would definitely have a chance some day. He glanced at Lester amused hearing her question, he would definitely want to see that reaction.

Even though Lester was a bit shock and surprised by her words, he didn't react as Jonathan expected. "You are pretty convincing getting what you want, huh?" asked, with a slight smile that was still somehow sad. He liked the way she acted, not caring about social status and all that crap, and just doing whatever she wanted to. Someone else might find her disrespectful, but he liked her. Anyway, he was still hurt to talk freely about the woman in the portrait. "Ok, I'll tell you, let's just go somewhere without this... futile creature." said and he walked away, turning right to head towards the stair. Jonathan simply rolled his eyes and went to find something else to do, it wouldn't be fun if Lester kept being that annoying.

As they walked, Lester kept his gaze on the floor. "She... was someone I really cared about." told her, hoping it would be enough, although he assumed it wouldn't.

"Well most of the time yeah." she said with a small laugh, though that smile of hers died down when she saw that sad smile of his, and her own smile started to turn into a frown as well. Thinking she just asked something that should of been buried in the past and better forgotten. "Hey now, be nice to your brother." she said a bit more gently then she would of. "He wouldn't tell me and that was nice of him you know." she said before looking at Jon. "We will have dinner some other time then. You have a nice meal now." she said happily as she looked back at Lester and started to follow after him once more.

Opal was following him up the steps and walking at his side, holding her arms behind her back once more as she listened and thought about what he said. "Someone you cared about?" she questioned more to herself then to him. "So...like a lover then?" she asked. "But the picture looks so old, that's not really possible. Or was it someone you admired a lot?" she asked.

Jonathan said goodbye with a charming smile of his, a smile Lester rolled his eyes to. He lead her toward his room, and as he thought, she just kept asking questions. From someone else, he would probably already tell them to go away, maybe cursing them a bit, but maybe he was a bit charmed by the beauty of his maid after all. He sat on his bed, thinking about what to tell her without looking depressive or scaring her away. He glanced at the portrait next to his bed and realized it was a bit crooked, so he lined it with the border of the table. After it, he looked back at her, making a sign with his head so that she would sit.

"Yeah, you could say someone I admired." answered and frowned slightly. "I've never talked about it with anyone, you know? You shouldn't push a man you just met to tell you his secrets." added, with a bit of amusement on his voice. "But, you know what? I have a deal." stated, slightly smiling. "I'll tell you a piece of story about the woman on the portrait every night, as long as you keep away of Jonathan and Oliver, my brothers. I know Jon might seem nice, but he's just not. And they have their own maids to bother around. So what do you say?"

She went to sit down with him on the bed and listened to him carefully. "Ah...yeah I know I shouldn't do that. I just don't know when to shut up sometimes." she explained as she sat there. Slowly though she started to nod to his request as grin falling onto her face as she thought about what he said. "Alright I will try my best to stay away then." she told him. "I don't know why you guys think they are so mean. So far Jon has been super nice to me." she said happily. "He is kind of scary, I will give him that, but he hasn't done anything rude to me."

"I suppose I won't have a story tonight then. That's okay." she said as she lightly started to pat his back. "Sorry if I made you all sad or something now. That really wasn't my intention at all you know. So you can tell me as much or as little as you like. I just don't want to see you moping around, got it?" she asked with a cheeky grin.

"I know, he can even charm me sometimes." teased talking about Jon. "But that's until you lower your guard, dear." added. He had to admit he was kind of amazing pretending. "The good thing about Ollie is that he will just scare you away at first sight." warned her, a bit amused. He frowned slightly hearing her, did he really looked that depressing? "Don't worry, it's not that bad. I mean, it had been a long time ago, now. So I guess I'm just a bit reserved. Don't tell Marie I told you but not her, I don't want her to be mad at me. And of course you'll get a piece of story tonight, but just enough to leave you with curiosity." added, with a grin upon his face. He laid his back against his bed before starting.

"Her name was Joanna Crawford. She was small when she lost her parents, because they had been murdered on a battle where civilians were hurt just to make a point against a more powerful group. She had been found, though, by a wealthy family, and they raised her from her 12 years old. This family had boy too, two years bigger than her. Allen. Of course, they became best friends, but as the girl grew up, she turned to be the most beautiful woman around, and as you might imagine, Allen was crazy for her. It took him a while, though, to run from being his friend to become something else." started to tell, and made a brief pause to smile slightly under that thought. "And as you can imagine, no matter how much they loved each other, rich boy Allen wasn't allow to marry orphan beautiful Joanna." said and sat up. "That's it, you are probably starving. I'm sure someone took you dinner to your room by now, but ask Marie about the times and stuff for your food. There's a dining room for you, cause you don't always get to have food on your bed." announced with a smile, keeping that story about Joanna and Allen away just to not look sad.

"Okay, I will keep that in mind about those two." she said as she looked at him. When he told her she would indeed get a story that night, a bright smile fell onto her face. She looked like a child who was told they would get two Christmases that year, even more so she pulled her legs up onto the bed and was giving him her full attention now. Just by the look on her face, he would see how captivated she was with the story. She was so focused on his voice and what he was saying, that if someone was to get into the room they would catch her by surprise.

"No you can't just end there!" she protested as she leaned closer to him. "Oh this is going to be so frustrating, but that is so sad!" she told him. "Poor Joanna and Allen, oh I hope the story has an happy ending where they get together!" she sighed, clearly showing the side of herself that was a hopeless romantic. "And don't worry I won't tell Marie anything either, I would hate for her to be mad at me too. Alright, I am going to retire for tonight then." she said before starting to get off the bed. "Thank you for the story Lester, I can't wait to hear the next part." she said as she gave a small bow before taking off out of his room.

He was amused how captivated she was with the story, so much that he didn't even care to tell her about it. But he still slightly enjoyed leaving her with curiosity until the next night. "Oh, I won't spoil you anything about it." said as she talked about it having a happy ending. It didn't have quite a happy ending, but he wouldn't say anything about it. "Have a good night, Opal. See you tomorrow." said as he laid back into his bed. He was a little thirsty, but he could stand another day without feeding, because he was also exhausted. He closed his eyes and his head was spinning with memories about Joanna and a few flashes of the girl she met that day. When he usually took a whole year to start liking a worker or any other person, that girl won his sympathy over the course of one day. She was definitely something else, and he wondered if his dad knew about that before bringing her there. Thinking about that, he fell asleep without even changing his day clothes.

Opal walked back into her room and was happy to see that there was indeed food left for her in her room. Smiling happily she sat down and ate. Thinking about the story over and over again, once she got done eating she started to write a letter to her parents, knowing she wouldn't send it any time soon. She had stayed up for a few more hours. Getting her clothes hung up and her room just right for her. Changing into one of her night gowns she started to crawl into bed. With a small sigh she turned off her bed side lamp and started to close her eyes.

The house wasn't as bad as she first thought, and she was actually coming to enjoy living there, though it was only the first day. It was hard to tell what the next few days would hold in store for her. She was sure she would be awoken early in the morning to get back to work. And with that thought she finally drifted off to sleep.

Lester woke up early in the morning, because he had gone to sleep pretty early too. Without his father home, he didn't have many tasks to take about during the day. Lord Kinlan was a businessman, and although he barely worked, he did take care of some issues from time to time, and Lester was glad to help him. There wasn't much else he had to do anyway. But when he was gone, he had completely nothing to take care of. He grabbed a book and went to read it outside, right in front of the marble fountain, as he usually did. He had no idea how much time he spent, but people eventually started to wake up. It didn't take long for his smaller brother to join him.

"Hey, Lest. Haven't you already read all the books in the world?"

"People keep writing new ones, idiot."

"Whatever, know-it-all jerk."

"Opal?" said, the voice of a young woman, before knocking the door. "Wake up, Opal." said as she knocked once again. "We should get started, there's a lot to take care of today." said Marie, the maid sleeping next door to the new girl. "We'll help with some gardening at the morning."

"It's too early!" Opal whined as she tossed a pillow at the door at the first knock and call of her name. When she realized the person wasn't just going to go away, she let out a loud groan and started to get off her bed. "I'm up, I'm up Marie." she told her as she was grabbing a dress and yawning before changing. Opal soon tossed the door open looking grumpy and annoyed to be woken up. It was clear she wasn't much of a morning person. "So what do we have to do, and what garden is there to take care of Marie, it's winter. Flower die in the winter." she pouted like a child before rubbing her eyes and lightly tapping her cheeks as she tried to wake herself up even more.

"Well, you are right. It isn't exactly gardening, but it is in the gardens. It snowed a little last night, and we should take the snow from the paths. And the fountain may not be working with this cold, but we still need to keep it clean." explained her with a sight of disappointment. "C'mon, your second day here and you already wanna stay sleeping in? Don't be lazy!" Marie teased her, trying to keep a serious expression.

-
"So what are you reading?" Oliver kept asking.

"A novel, it's called 'Why do I have the most annoying brother in the world?'" said, keeping his gaze on the book.

"Oh, I see. And what is it about?"

Lester sighed and closed the book. "I get it, you are bored. What do you wanna do?"

"I don't know, chatting? I heard you finally accepted a maid. Is she hot? Have you already tasted her? You know, like, in any of the two ways?" asked with a grin, the eldest only sighed and rolled his eyes. "Oh, sure, you are waiting until you 'fall in love'" Ollie added, with a sarcastic tone that annoyed him.

She looked at Marie and smiled as she hooked arms with the girl. "It's not being lazy, it's getting my beauty sleep." she said playfully. "Alright Marie you win, let's go out to the garden." she laughed as she she was starting to follow after the girl once again. "Honestly I was up pretty late last night." she explained as to why she was so tired. "It's kind of hard to fall to sleep in a bed that doesn't even belong to you." she said softly. "I was also having some weird dreams. I can't remember them very much, but I have a feeling they were too nice." she said with a shrug.

As they got closer to the outside door a small chill ran down her spine. "It certainly is cold isn't it?" she questioned as she looked up at her. "And that reminds me, when do you guys have dinner and everything. I am sorry you had to bring a plate to my room. You work hard so I am sure you don't want to baby me either." she added.

Marie laughed with her words and understood her. Even if she didn't remember quite well her first days, it must be hard to get use to a whole new life. They walked outside and smiled at her being cold. She had seen that coming and brought two jackets with her. After extending one to Opal, she shook her head softly. "Don't worry, it was nothing. I can save you one tonight as well if you are too busy in Lester's room." said and playfully winked at her. With so many workers around the house, everybody knew about everything. "But, if you are not, we usually have dinner around 8 p.m., sometimes even 9 if it was a busy day, when most of us have already finished our tasks." added and went to a small room inside to get two sticks with a metal ending, which were used to remove the snow. He gave one to her.

-
"Oh, she's coming, isn't she?" Ollie said with enthusiasm, taking a deep breath. "Yeah, she's with that... Martha girl."

"Marie." Lester only added. His brothers were already completely bored of eternity, or so it seemed, because they could not stop talking about him and Opal. Why wouldn't they try to read a book instead? He was sure they could find stories a lot more entertaining than his. "And don't get near her."

"What? I can't hear you." the youngest said as he was already walking to meet the new one. This brother was the smallest, and it was fairly noticeable, mainly upon his face. Unlike Jonathan and Lester that only had a year of difference, Oliver had been turned on his 19, and so he kept a face a lot less manlier than the rest of the family. Besides, was the shorter one, but he also had the great looks that characterized the Kinlan. With blue eyes, similar to the ones of the middle brother but without the brown shade, and perfect features, he looked more as an extremely pretty boy instead of a handsome man.

"Thank god Marie." she said as she took the jacket and quickly placed it on. You are a goddess you know that right?" she asked her playfully. Though her face suddenly got hot again with the wink the girl gave her. "Ah, no you have it wrong!" she told her. 'It was nothing like that I swear." she quickly explained. "And okay, I will try and remember that then!" she said quickly as she went to take one of the shovels. 'So we use these to plow the snow, right?" she questioned. "Yeah I think I can do that." she added as she started to walk out into the cold once again.

Part of her was now thankful with how cold her face was. If anyone thought she was blushing, it was easily placed off as her face just turning red from the sting of winter. When she finally stopped and look around at all the snow, she turned and looked back to the door. "Umm..Marie, just where are we suppose to start at?" she questioned. "There is snow every where." she half complained.

Marie chuckled with her reaction. "Ok, ok, I believe. Anyway, no one would ever judge you. I mean... Who wouldn't do anything for someone as Lester?" she said, keeping a smile upon her face. As she mentioned the little problem they had, Marie started to think. She did her best to remember where that path go, but she was having a hard time. "Just, stay by my side. I guess I can remember a bit." Marie said, unsure of where to go.

"Oh, girls, do you need any help with that?" Oliver showed up, with an expression of concern. Marie didn't even look at him, knowing it would be some kind of tease. "Yeah, I'm just kidding, as if I was some pathetic Lester-like guy." he said and sat on the floor next to them. Looking back at Opal, he frowned. "Don't get me wrong, you are kind of cute, but you are not such a big deal as I heard." told her, a bit disappointed. He turned his attention to Marie, who was still working. "Martha, you are going the wrong way. You should turn right over there." said, obviously making her deviate from the real path. Marie did as he said, anyway, because he would insist otherwise. As she found some grass removing the snow, she went back to the original path. Those were stupid little jokes for him, but when he did them repeatedly, it really made their work harder. Besides, they weren't even funny...

Lester wished his brother would just disappear from there. He was so relaxed, and didn't want to go and save the girls from him. Anyway, he would do it, so he slowly stood up, watching attentively Oliver's movements in case he turned aggressive.

"Well yeah, he is a pretty sweet guy." she told her with a smile. "Okay, well this will be a fun adventure then. It's kind of like hide and seek...where we are slowly freezing...and just trying to find the path." she said before laughing. When she heard a new voice she turned to see who it was, she could only gather that this was the final brother of Lester's. She was going to be friendly at first, but that started to change as the young man kept talking. In honesty Lester was worried about the wrong one becoming aggressive right then as Opal started to get madder and madder. And even though she didn't become physical, her words carried more weight then what ever punch she would be able to throw.

"You can say what you want about me, but you can't say that crap about Lester. He isn't pathetic. Maybe you should take a lesson of manners from him sometime." she told him harshly as she gripped her shovel a bit tighter. "And listen here you little shit, her name is Marie not Martha, Marie" she said stressing her name again. "Now if you don't we have work to do." she said as she started to shovel though the snow to try and find the path, she was shoveling half haphazardly, not caring if she hit the newcomer with snow.

Marie was petrified at the reaction of Opal towards Oliver. She just wished she could hide under all that snow, but she couldn't. Meanwhile, Oliver stayed still until the girl that called him little shit finished her speech. He then stood up, shook the snow she had thrown to him and calmly walked to meet her gaze, standing a few inches from her face. "Why would I ever show manners to a pair of useless creature that are only here to clean after me?" said, pronouncing every word carefully, and ending up with a smirk. "I don't give a shit about her name, in case you didn't notice." added and put one of his hands on the side of her neck, with his thumb extended to her chin so that he could move her face with it. He wasn't hurting her, but he was tough enough to prevent her to move her head at her will. He made a quick movement, slightly twisting her head, but once again, without hurting her. "Crack." pronounced as he did so, with his eyebrows raised. "That's what might happen if you ever call me little shit again. Know your place, maid." warned her, and, as soon as he finished, he was abruptly dragged away from her.

"What on earth is wrong with you?" Lester yelled at him, pushing him from the chest, almost making him fall to the snow. "What was all that crap about twisting her neck? If you ever touch her again, I'll crack the hell out of you." told him, while Oliver watched him with a small grin, and Lester wanted to break his face in two.

"What on earth is wrong with you? Why would you be that angry for a maid? I'll get you another one whenever you want, brother." told him and sighed. "Whatever. Go and play with your pretty little maid." said as he turned around to leave. On moments like those Lester wondered why would he still live with a piece of crap as him.

Status
Not open for further replies.