The Day They Met

"She looked so small and helpless. I used to be in an orphanage and I know how hard life in those places can be. I couldn't let somepony as fragile as her go through that." He hugged Chip as he said that. Chip blushed and nudged him, embarrassed.

"Awww. That reminds me. If you two aren't blood related then what stopped you from dating Chip, Ranch?"

"She's way to young for me." Ranch said, chuckling.

"Oh. Of course." she said with a blush since she couldn't distinguish ages without being able to at least see what the pony looked like.

"Besides, she's my cute wittle sistewr!" Ranch said, nuzzling Chip.

"Ranch!" Chip complained, squirming.

Shadow couldn't help but giggle. She could see the two but couldn't just as easily picture the scene.

Chip got out of Ranch's hug and trotted over to Shadow. "So, how ya feeling?"

"I'm alright. That bastard didn't hurt you guys when you went over there did he? I was really worried."

"No, we're fine. Ranch gave him a real whopping though!" Chip said, excluding the bruises and what happened to her.

"What about you Chip? Did you get a stomp in too?" Shadow asked with a smile.

"Sadly, no." Chip said, sipping her coffee.

"Oh..well at least he got what he deserved. That's good enough for me."

"That's good." Chip smiled, drinking the rest of her coffee. She grabbed the empty cups and went to go wash them.

Shadow heard Chip take the cups and leave to clean them then blushed again after thinking about what it'd look like if Chip was walking away.

Chip came back and accidentally bumped into a table, hitting one of her bruises. She yelped, surprised by the sudden burst of pain.

Shadow jumped up and hovered over to her. "Are you alright? Did you get hurt earlier?" she asked, concern written all over her face.

"I'm fine. It's just a little bruise." Chip said, trying to calm her worries.

"Are you sure? Where is it exactly?" Shadow asked with a slight frown.

"It's near my flank. It's not that bad though, I promise." Chip said, smiling to try and help and ease her concern.

Shadow pokes around her flank and in that general area until she poked a tender spot gently. "Is this it?"