Of Spiders and Flies...
Part Two
"Well done..." Cordelia offered, when Quinn had returned with the net. It had the effect of patting a well behaved dog on the head, but something in her gaze suggested that it was all very intentional.

Bending down, she scooped up an edge of the net and inspected it, "Yes. This'll do." Rising, she nodded to Quinn, "To Caterly Street, then."

And leaving little room for objection, she turned back in the direction they had come from.

He stared after her incredulously as she did, his braids unraveling in their soaked state. His mustache drooped on either side of his mouth, giving him a rather dejected look. His eyes roved between her, the maker of his pain, and the heavy net, his burden. It lay there on the first few planks of the dock where he'd dropped it, mocking him, daring him to just leave it sit, flash the damnable woman the rudest gesture he could think of, and storm off into the stormy night. This was not his problem. He was a thief. A con man. The entire point of what he did was that he helped people while also staying out of harm's way. And here he was, being used as he used others, to enact a deed he didn't particularly care t-

"Hold the hell up, woman," Quinn yelled over the deadening ambience in quick spurts, his breath not having quite returned from hauling the net. "If you wanted some patsy to carry this for you, you should have charmed someone else. You'd best come lend a hand, because I'll sooner go bed a Seawatch whore than care this thrice gods damned deadweight all the way back to Caterly by my lonesome."

The water, the cold, and the danger had all served to set Quinn off his usually ineffable foundation. It moreover frustrated him to see Oracle so blasé about the whole damn affair, and he couldn't help comparing the situation now to that in the Pub, with his role most expressly reversed.

Smiling brilliantly, eyes eerily bright in the misty grey of the docks, Cordelia extended her arm over Quinn's shoulder to where a small wheel barrow sat, propped up against one of the raised pier columns, "We could just use that."

Expression softening a little, she moved past him to collect the wheelbarrow, nodding down to the net before her gaze moved to Quinn, "It's important, I think... when comparing them to spiders, to remember who the flies really are. Doesn't do much good to be a champion for the downtrodden, if we send them off to die in battles we would rather not fight ourselves. Now, then. If you're willing to help me, I actually do have a plan."

"Look, honey; I don't really have a dog in this fight." He bent down, wrapping his arms underneath as much of the net as he could manage before tossing it into the barrow with a grunt. "I do this because I'm just a good man.

"Or maybe I'm just alright," he muttered as another roar echoed through the close buildings. With a glance in its direction, Quinn threw the rest of the net into the barrow. "Anyway, point is, if I'm going to be so charitable, the least those flies can do is help out a little."

He stepped back, taking deep breaths with his hands on his hips as he got his wind back. Once he had, the Baladuri maneuvered to the barrow handles and shooed Oracle aside. Lifting up the back end with a groan, he began striding off back the way they'd come.

"So what's this plan of yours, hm? Trip the bastard and throw it on him while he's prone? Then beat him with sticks, I presume."

"Ah. Sticks..." Smirking, Oracle shook her head, "I knew I was forgetting something." As he started forward, she followed beside him, waiting until they were far enough from the crashing waves to continue, "Actually, it's rather more simple than that. I'm thinking we bait the thing into an alley... then throw the net down on it from the roof overhead. It won't hold him long, but it will hold him long enough... I hope. At any rate, it's in all of our best interest to try and keep him alive, so as to interrogate him. But that only works if we can trap him, right?"

It was more a working idea than a plan, but they were an intelligent enough bunch, accustomed to working on the fly.

"And how do you intend to interrogate that beastie? I doubt a Tainted is just going to calm down enough to let you visit with it." Quinn muttered a curse and swerved the barrow, narrowly missing a large deep rut. Now that Oracle was actually divulging information and intention, he felt his mood improve dramatically, if only so far as it was keeping it occupied from the looming threat in their near future. "We're still at sticks at this point; trapping him is great, but we still have to do something with him afterwards to get him to a point of cooperation."

Chuckling, Cordelia shook her head, "Well, I don't intend to try and talk to him as he is, Quinn. He'll need to cool his head somewhere safe, I imagine. That, or a good knock on the head. But once he's calmed down, well... I don't suspect it will be difficult at all. It's not as if I need him cooperative to get the answers we're looking for."

Her friend looked at her askance.

"Maybe. But maybe not. We've no idea what he's like, not raging on Shadow Crazy, after all. So, in that eventuality, I'm keeping the sword handy. As I recommend you do.

"Hell," Quinn added in afterthought, "if we can't beat unconsciousness into him, we're going to have to explore other options anyway. It's not like we can't find out from other people than him. There'll be talk in the streets, honey. You know that as well as I. And they are far less likely to claw your face off if you accidentally make them angry."

His piece said, he fell quiet, considering the plan.

"Why, Quinn Tavers, Are you worried about me?" Smiling faintly, Cordelia shook her head, "That's sweet, but entirely unnecessary. Still... you've a point. I'll be careful. Promise."

Biting in thought at the edge of her lip, she nodded, putting a hand to his arm to stop the wheelbarrow. They had neared Caterly Street, and though it was still a good distance, the sound of the fray could still be heard, even above the renewed downpour.

"There... see that building ahead, the one with the flat rooftop. Do you think you could get the net up there? We could cut some of it off, if you think it's too heavy."

"It rather loses its effectiveness if it's chopped to bits, wouldn't you say?"

Quinn set the narrow down, the weight of its cargo driving the support legs into the mud an unfortunate depth. His arms crossed at his chest, the man frowned. The idea was perhaps sound, but the execution would be...troublesome, to say the least. That net was heavy, and few buildings had stairways to their roofs. Many might have ladders within the buildings to a kind of trapdoor, to be sure, but he didn't relish the thought of maneuvering up a rickety ladder toting that mass of ropes with him. His eyes roved the sopping streets, looking for someone, anyone, to be charmed or tricked into the labor of it. For labor it'd be; Oracle was giving commands and no suggestions, and so was distinctly unhelpful, and Quinn for the life of him couldn't figure out a smarter less exhausting way to get the net to the rooftop. Grumbling to himself, he shed his cloak. He'd need all the dexterity he could get, and he was besides already soaked to the bone. Grabbing hold of the net, he spared a glance to his companion.

"You owe me one, Oracle," Quinn quipped with a smirk. "I don't do this for just anyone."

Hoisting up onto his shoulders as best he could, the man turned toward the building and began trudging slowly in its direction.

Tags: @Effervescent // Collab with: @Elle Joyner

Caterly Street

By the time Sothal reached Caterly Street, the citizens had fled to leave the Tainted in solitude. It breathed heavily from its exertion as its ears and head flecked about in awareness. It was wolffish in nature, though more like an abomination crafted from a nightmare. It's legs were elongated and thick with hard muscle allowing the creature to walk on two legs if it so chose. It's clawed hands dangled at its sides dripping with the blood of its recent victim that diluted with the rain water. The victim lay in a heap on the cobblestone, her hand outstretched towards the sea as if to note her final plea.

He didn't have time to lolligag about, and there was something he had been itching to try. Charging at its back, Sothal reached out to grab the Tainted by its torso and attempted to engulf it within his magic. Jumping through the shadow, he reappeared a block away, his arms empty of what was intended to be his captor. It was worth a shot, but now it left him within the Tainted's line of sight. A growl rumbled in its throat as it readied itself to dash. But just before it could jump into action, Kylar deftly displayed his acrobatics, pushing off of the beast's shoulders to knock it off balance before slicing its arm open with his clever blade.

The Tainted howled in pain, turning to meet its aggressor with bared teeth, stumbling from the release of the steel that had pierced its flesh. Sothal looked from the Tainted to Leona and took the opportunity to rush from the other side. A swift swipe and a close miss left the Tainted stumbling forward as Kylar rolled to the side and into the nearest alley. They disappeared out of Sothal's sight momentarily as he ran to catch up. His body felt a flutter from his indulgent drinking, and he Shadow jumped just as Kylar was rendered unconscious. He hoped Leona would take action soon to follow suit.

Grabbing hold of the long knife sheathed behind his back, Sothal jumped again in an inky cloud of magic to close the distance, his blade slipping into its mid back. Another howl escaped its maul. It favored the arm impaired by the jutting blade from its elbow and lashed out instead with its other arm to reach over its back. Claws digging into Sothal's back, padded only by a few layers of fabric and soft leathers, the Tainted wrenched the Fallenite from its back and threw him further down the alley. Mid fall, Sothal disappeared into the telltale darkened smoke that dissipated in seconds.

Confusion gripped the Tainted's attention as it jerked its head about for where Sothal had gone. It bounded down the alley only to run into the drunken mob. It was getting weary now, its claws raking through flesh and bone at a slower pace, yelps escaping it when its injuries were disturbed. It was close to unconsciousness, but not close enough. If undeterred it would most definitely cut through the drunken mob with ease which would allow for its escape before passing out.

@Doctor Jax @Red Thunder @rissa @Elle Joyner @Gossamer @RiddL @CloudyBlueDay

~Quinnis Travers~

Step by slow, heavy step, Quinn advanced on the building, bearing the net, wary eyes probing the half broken glass of the innumerable windows. A few shutters smacked against the wooden slats, pulled to and fro by the occasional breeze, and a broken sign dangled from an anchor point in the wall; judging by the half faded painting of a pelt on it, the building used to be a tanner's shop before it was abandoned to the receding tide of the economy.

Great, the Baladuri thought ruefully to himself as he shouldered his way through the half rotten door. When we kill this thing, we'll have a place to take it.

If we can even
capture it, that is.

The thought lingered as he stepped through the fallen door planks, and it brought his mood further south. He found himself in a smallish room; before him squatted a low counter, perhaps seven feet in length, with two doorways on either side leading further into the building. To the right of the counter but before coming to the doorway, a set of narrow stairs climbed upwards into the darkness above. He grimaced; if this reception hall were any indication, with rot holes in the walls of the counter, trash strewn everywhere, and the genera stench of age, those stairs were likely to collapse if he put any weight on them, let alone the combined weight of both he and his burden. Though perhaps they'd hold; he was no carpenter, after all, and had no way of knowing definitively whether such an attempt was safe, short of giving it a try. Gritting his teeth, he stalked over to the stairway and started up.

It was a harrowing experience. Not, perhaps, the most harrowing of his life, but when he reached the top safely, despite the unsettling creak and groan of many a board, Quinn vowed he'd never do it again. At least, not without sending Oracle up first.

He glanced over his shoulder, as if certain he'd be able to see her down the stairs and out the door through the haze of the rain. It was a redundant gesture; he could see neither around curves nor through obstructions. But it was a genuine one. In spite of the complaining and cursing that he'd filled the air with ever since leaving the warm confines of the Pub, Quinn still wanted her safe. Her and all those he knew. The others in the street were of less concern.

The taunts and mocking shouts of the Pub patrons grabbed his attention, so he shuffled to the nearest window and dropped the net to the floor with a very solid thud. Below him was the alleyway, and the scene in it was chaotic. He could in truth make out very little of it; his arena was at the discussion table, and his training had been most regretfully absent of tactics. But it seemed to be going badly for anyone not the Tainted. The Beast towered above the others, hairy, huge, an hulking. And hurt. Quinn did see that much. Maybe, just maybe, if its movement could be restricted, the small crowd of drunkards could take care of it. Time to get things moving, then.

Grunting and straining, Quinn yanked the net to the window sill. He had nothing like the strength needed to position this thing optimally, so he simply made due. Inch by inch he dropped it across the sill to hang outside until, at last, more than half of it swayed above the Tainted's head, dangling and exceedingly heavy. Readying himself, Quinn threw the remainer mightily out the window, trying as well as he could to spread the net out. And he muttered a prayer to whatever gods were listening that it might find its mark.

@Effervescent @Elle Joyner

H200qnb.png

no-lightbox
The creature was not unlike a thing of nightmares, disproportionate and gangling, animalistic, but not without qualities to remind one that it was... at one time or another a man. To the eye, it was a terror, but from a distance, watching it at it prowled towards the crowd of men Cordelia felt almost a pang of pity for it. Almost.

In the street, a woman's form lay huddled and broken, arm outstretched, eyes wide, fear etched into the open, glossy orbs.. Slowly, Cordelia approached and bending down, she pressed her fingertips to each lid, drawing them closed, "Rest well, darling sister... Your battle in this life is over." Laying a hand to the poor girl's cheek, she rose slowly to her feet, gaze moving to the bustle.

A flurry of motion came from outside the alley and from her position, Cordelia watched as Kyler attacked, fluid and fierce. Quinn had disappeared, and by now, with hope, was positioning himself the throw the net. Somewhere in the fray, Sothal appeared in a puff of smoke and movement became pure confusion, but at least one hit seemed to find it's mark and the creature ambled forth is some certain distress. There was nothing to do, really, but wait... and wait she did, fingers tensed in the folds of her skirts, heart racing.

After what felt like a lifetime, though in reality couldn't have been more than a few seconds, the net flew from the window above the alley, crashing down in a jumble upon the creature. It had struck true enough, but it would do little good if it weren't secured. All she could do was hope the others had the intuition to do so, before it became a fruitless effort and more lives were needlessly lost.

Last edited:
Leona & Arthur
Whack-a-Tainted

[BCOLOR=transparent] It was quite painful to watch Kylar be bested by the beast and Sothal be thrown back into his own cloud of smoke. But the attacks executed by the two men were certainly wearing the Tainted down -- though it heaved and huffed as it trudged through victim after victim, this battle was coming to an end and she knew it. It was up to her to finish it off. Her blade glistened with the spider venom. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I can do this."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] The crowd that the Tainted ripped through provided her cover to slip through with ease and get closer and closer, down the dark alleyway. Whatever had prompted the lot of drunkards to chase after the thing, she did not know, but it was certainly a horrid tragedy, even if it did provide her with the necessary cover. As she prepared to strike, almost within range, a net fell from above, landing just directly on top of the Tainted. Shocked for a moment, glancing up to try and find the source, Leona realized she had to take advantage of this. She had to secure the net and get one final hit in to end it.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]And then, without warning, a whistle from above. Arthur stood atop the roof of the building adjacent to the tanner's shop Quinn had tossed the net out of. The young man was outfitted in all black, as always, and sported only a steel sword that slung over his back hidden beneath his cloak, and a single dagger that remained sheathed to his side. With haste, he donned his face-guard, which left only the white of his eyes and the bare skin between them exposed. Gingerly, he began to slide down a pipe off the side of the building. At about halfway he dropped feet first, landing directly atop the Tainted skull with a loud and wet thud, splashing a good deal of water about the place as the young man shoved the creatures face into a puddle. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent] The Tainted remained momentarily stunned, and the young man used this opportunity to climb onto its back and equip his dagger. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Truly sorry." [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]He mused just before plunging his blade into the creatures calf. The Tainted let out another bloody shriek as it began to convulse in agony, and in this agony the creature mustered enough strength to power through the unsecured net and thrust itself atop of Arthur, who was now caught in the mess of net with the beast, it's blood dripping fangs just inches from the young man's face, gnarling and chomping incessantly. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Leona!" [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]He shouted, trying his best to keep composure whilst the beast attempted to eat his face off through the net.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]The sudden arrival of Arthur atop the Tainted had Leona skidding to a halt -- whatever had prompted the man to slide down a pipe off a roof onto the Tainted's face, it did seem to be working in their favor, and she couldn't complain. He seemed to be handling it quite well, up until the Tainted bucked underneath him and suddenly the tables turned. How, after all the attacks made on it, the Tainted still managed to fight back, stunned Leona. Arthur's sharp cry snapped her back into reality and she jumped to his aid, digging her blade into the Tainted's calf as deep as she could. It screeched in pain and turned away from Arthur, only to take its other leg and swing it right at Leona, sending the girl flying back.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Her blade flew from her hand and skittered towards Arthur while Leona was thrown in a different direction - the Tainted's sharp claws had cut through her clothing and left bleeding cuts on her chest, although they were not very deep at all, they were not a pretty sight. "[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Arthur, the blade has venom on it!"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Leona shouted after a hiss of pain, climbing to her feet. The blade itself landed only inches away from the young man. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]With the Tainted's attention focused on Leona, Arthur gripped the blade, sprung up off the floor, out of the net and proceeded to drive the dagger through the net into the beast's shoulder as deep as his strength would allow. This left the hilt exposed and the rest of the blade wedged deep within the beast itself, the venom coursing its way through the Tainted's blood stream. An even bloodier shriek than before sent shivers up the young man's spine. He was quick to unsheathe his sword and take several steps back as the thing cried bloody murder. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Looking for more, dog breath?"[/BCOLOR]

Collab with @CloudyBlueDay
[BCOLOR=transparent]Mentions: @Effervescent @Elle Joyner @Red Thunder @RiddL[/BCOLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:

Caterly Street

The Tainted became tangled within the net, and what remained of the drunken mob closed in on the creature. Giant Spider venom spread through its veins and restricted its movement well enough to no longer put up a fight. Labored breaths heaved through the mist of rain that merged with its blood that dripped from its fur. The Fallenites surrounding the creature assaulted its form with whatever objects they managed to grab on their way out of the tavern to bludgeon the thing to its death. Unconsciousness fell upon the Tainted, and with it the slow release of its monstrous form to give way to a man's naked body beneath the web of rope.

This did not stop the inebriated mass from continuing their course. Bones were breaking, hands were gripping for the blades that had been left behind by the Cult of Thieves in their efforts. They shouted at the man even though he was not awake to hear their hurtful words. They cried out injustices for their fallen comrades as some wept before the bodies. The steel toes of boots found purchase within the man's rib cage as anger was released in a cathartic, twisted fashion.

Had Sothal not have been wrenching on the street corner, he would have broken apart the mob sooner. Mask now tucked away in his jacket, he vomited the contents of his stomach onto the wet cobblestone. Pain throbbed from his back where the claws had dug into his flesh and caused his sight to blacken. He brought a shaky hand into an inner pocket of his jacket, the flask readily available for a quick capture.

He finished off the contents to wash away the aftertaste that lingered, though it did not serve his stomach well. Stumbling to the scene in his own growing stupor, he shoved away the excess that had gathered around the poor sod in the net.

"Back off!" he commanded as he pushed away the mob. He used as much force as he could manage in his state, but luckily most were wasted enough to topple over from the jolt.

"That's a Tainted 'e is!" cried a disgruntled woman. "Look what 'e did! 'E deserves to die!"

"I think he's had enough for today," Sothal said as he put himself between the unconscious man and the drunken mob. He brought his knife back around to solidify an unspoken threat and hoped this would buy his comrades time to gather the man and take him some place for questioning.

But once they saw the resistance set in steel, they begrudgingly turned their attention to the dead. Frowns tugged deeply at their lips as they took the bodies of their friends down to the sea. The poor had no money for fancy burials or tombs. All they could do is wrap them in cloth and throw them out to sea for the fish to feed.

Sothal turned, nodding to Arthur and Leona as he made his way to Kylar. He had taken quite the blow, and so he removed the man's mask and brought his fingers to his nose to check if he was breathing. Sothal let loose a quiet breath of relief as Kylar's life was confirmed living. In the small alley, they would find seclusion as the onlookers took their interest elsewhere.

"We need to get out of here before they change their mind," he suggested, and then looked up to the window above him. "Quinn? What's in there?"

@Red Thunder @rissa @Elle Joyner @Gossamer @RiddL @CloudyBlueDay

On the Streets of Windfeld

Hastened footsteps pattered across the wet cobblestone that slapped upon the puddles with bare feet. A little boy of nine rushed past The Bridge to catch up with Tamerlin as soon as he caught sight of him. "Timothy!" he called out urgently. "Timothy, wait up!"

Young Jamison Cook was winded by the time he caught up with Tamerlin, his dark hair dripping wet and his clothes soaked to his skin. He frequented the orphanage only on occasion, electing to stick with his older sister in the Halloways when she wasn't working. Though she recently got work up in the Noble District and they both had disappeared for a time.

"Timothy, please," he said, "you gotta help my sister! She's sick!"

@Doctor Jax

Seen and Unseen
In the remnants of the once full room, Milly Lecadre took her time before rushing headlong into a fight with a Tainted. She wished she could say the first thing she did was call to her magic, to channel the arcane energy into the wards that lined her weathered clothes. But she wasn't like the others and instead, she sauntered over to the hearth, ladling spoonfuls of the still-warm stew into her belly before her plan culminatied into fruition in her mind's eye.

She took precious moments -if the hollers and wails from the outside were any indication of how the Tainted fight was going- casting a basic protection ward that wouldn't hold it's own against a Tainted whatsoever… but it made Milly feel safer, and what was better than safety in times like these?

Milly left the Seawatch Inn the way she came in, cloak hiding almost every inch of her five-foot-three frame except her supple, calf-high boots. She followed the sounds of commotion, weaving in and out of back alleys before she arrived at Caterly Street. It appeared she had missed most of the fight, what a shame; Sothal stood vigil over the Tainted who was now in his human form, Arthur and Leona stood vigil over a fallen comrade, Kylar, who apparently was knocked out cold. She blended into the crowd that mingling away from the scene slowly, the lot of them looking half-drunk, most carrying their dead out to sea.

What a waste, Milly thought to herself. Why would drunkards be fighting a Tainted? Her mind flittered to Quinn just as she heard Sothal's voice speak his name. Of course.

Her eyes followed Sothal's and she saw Quinn in a second story window, nestled safely above the Tainted ensnared within a weighted net. Glancing around, Milly saw the Oracle and padded up to her on quiet feet.

"We need some sort of distraction, yes? Or perhaps… a bit of invisibility." Milly said softly, lowering her hood ever so slightly.

Perhaps not a blood bath, as it might have been, had they not been quite so quick or efficient, but it was hardly the clean, comfortable fight they were generally accustomed to. These were assassins and thieves, who worked in the dark, in the stillness... who kept the shadow as a companion. Out in the open, facing a Tainted was going to be a different affair, and no one could be faulted if it had been a little messier...

But watching as men and women were carted off, dragged to the docks to be tossed into the waters below, Cordelia felt a twinge of sadness. This was their city... and someone had allowed that creature into it... why? For what purpose...?

Luckily, the thing had survived, at least for now and they were going to get answers...

Looking up as Milly approached, Cordelia nodded, slowly, a soft frown on her lips, "Probably not a bad idea... I'd to collect some water and towels, also. We've some injuries... and the creature..."

"We'll need to be quick; I'm no master but I'll manage a minute, probably less of full invisibility. The Tainted and I only… Although…"

Milly glanced up at the second story window where Sothal had called to Quinn. She could climb the eaves with ease, her stature slight and muscles hard from years long past where she tilled the fields with her father. Hefting something -someone- heavier than herself was not only incredibly difficult, but pure folly to suggest.

"You think there's a better choice than that?" Milly asked the Oracle, pointing upwards to the open window two stories above them. "Even with my invisibility there's no way I'm getting him up there."

"I think Quinn went in through the front... I'm not sure the condition inside, but I don't imagine he would have chanced it, if it weren't safe." Frowning thoughtfully, Cordelia glanced over to Milly, "It's empty, which is certainly ideal. I imagine it's our best choice. How can I help?"

Milly nodded to herself thoughtfully, if the patrons had abandoned the building, preferably the main floor, then perhaps there was a way after all. Calling to her magic, Milly let it shroud her mind for a moment before channeling the arcane magic directly into the wards affixed to her clothing. Invisibility wards, all of them, save a few, and she didn't like to keep them fully charged at all times. With that done, she nodded her head at the Oracle, her hands forming a pattern in the air as she took a few hesitant steps toward the fallen Tainted.

"Cut him free. Make sure my path is clear." Milly said before beginning her spell, both hands moving this way and that, drawing the ward within the very air itself.

Nodding, Cordelia moved ahead, to where the others had gathered, stepping up alongside Sothal, to whom she gave a brief nod, "Milly's working on a way to get him inside... unseen. Probably for the best... I don't imagine that crowd'll be content to leave him lay here long, before they come back to finish him off. She needs us to cut him loose and keep the way clear."
A Collab between @Elle Joyner and @rissa

Last edited:
Kylar

Kylar awoke to find a few things had happened, 1. The fighting was over 2. Sothal was attempting to pick his nose by the looks of it and finally 3. He was unarmed. He shook his head of the drowsiness and immediately reached down to his satchel, pulling a pair of red seeds out and placing them in his mouth and chewing on them. He slowly got to his feet and retrieved his weapons, pulling his knife out of the creatures arm, causing a small groan of pain for the now human creature. He knelt down, grasped a handful of hair and pulled it up, examining the creatures face and wounds. Sothal stood next to him and as he called up to Quinn and as he did so Kylar took the opportunity take a small Vial of its blood for a little bit of testing later, lathering up the wounds the creature had a small pre-made poultice to stop the bleeding and the chance of infection.

He gently laid the mans head back to the ground and stood up, stretching his sore muscles and grabbing the rope that was attached to his rope spear, as he coiled up the rope to place at his belt he looked up at the window, and then looked over to where Milly and Oracle were standing and talking, his ears overhearing the last of the conversation as Oracle turned to walk over and give them the plan. He knelt down and carefully started cutting the man free while making sure his didn't butcher all of the net. As he freed the mans upper body he stopped and grabbed some of the nets thinner strands, tying elaborate knots with it around the unconscious mans thumbs, restraining him in case he did wake up sometime soon, however unlikely that would be without using some of Kylar' little concoctions. He continued to cut him free until he got to the mans legs, instead opting to wrap the net around and around like a cocoon to stop any mobility there whatsoever.

"One Tainted gift wrapped and ready for delivery." He said to the others as he finished tying knots around it, picking it up and slinging it over his shoulders, ready to hand it off to Milly when she was ready. "Though please inform me he troubles you, I think I owe him for throwing him into that wall, even if it was because I injured its arm." He added as the unconscious man groaned faintly from being moved. He looked at Sothal, Leona and Arthur in the eyes one by one, piercing them with his gaze, "Thank you for not letting him eat me, I kind of like having all of my body intact and that would have been incredibly annoying if I had to kill him from the inside." He said to them, a ghost of a smile on his lips as thanked them.​

Quinnis Travers

Quinn pushed up from the sill as Sothal called up to him. He had leaned against it after tossing the net into the open air, observing the goings on with a mixture of interest and bemusement; his part, Or parts, he had thought grumpily, courtesy of Oracle, was concluded, and it had been up to the others. And they had, predictably, accomplished he goal with minimal hitches. Cult members were converging on the fallen Tainted, now reverted back to an unconscious man.

Unconscious. The innkeeper grimaced. It was unsafe, bloody unsafe and unwise, to bring a gods damned Beast into their keeping. They had been lucky, almost uncharacteristically so, in procuring this asset. It was a threat better ended. But he wasn't in charge, so the burden of responsibility fortunately fell elsewhere.

And elsewhere was demanding an answer from him. Quinn peered down at Sothal, sticking his head out the window as far as he dared without tipping forward headfirst.

"Cobwebs, rats, and rot! The stairs are a catastrophe begging to happen, but the ground floor seems otherwise secure." Well, the front room did, anyway. Hauling the net had necessitated a lack of thorough investigation, so Quinn hadn't the slightest idea what lay beyond those two doors on either side of the receiving counter. But Sothal, and Kylar evidently, seeing as he volunteered to carry the limp body, could discover themselves. "The second floor is well outfitted with several baths and warm robes! I shall get the water heated!"

There was of course no such thing. The room in which he stood was large and mostly empty. There were some few round tubs of tin, the metal having rusted away in places. Chemical stain colored the inside, indicating their former life as preserving baths, and drying racks sat in rotted crumbled heaps beside them. More there might have been, but Quinn had seen enough for now. He peered back out, curious to see what else might happen.

@Effervescent

Milly Lecadre
It happened simultaneously: Milly blinked invisible as her wards replenished and casted her spell over the Tainted… and Kylar by extension. She hadn't expected the previously knocked-out member to be carrying the man. Expecting things to go your way, however, was almost ignorant. Adapting kept one alive, and overcoming was her speciality. Yanking the poor creature from Kylar and hooking her arms beneath his, the Tainted's lower body fell unceremoniously against the cobblestone road. She wasn't sure how long her spell would last and the last thing they needed was someone blinking back into vision, so she beckoned Kylar to follow her.

The man was lighter than she imagined he'd be, and yet the heavy rope twined around his legs made him all the heavier. Thankfully, the building Quinn was currently hanging out of was a mere ten or so feet away. He was heavy, but Milly was stronger than she looked, stronger than she had any right to be. Orphans, those who survived at least, had a tendency to be. The building was torn asunder by years of poor economic growth and smelled like it was abandoned. Shutters clattered in the rainy breeze, as did the tanner's sign, dancing from a rusted length of chain. With a grunt she heaved the man across the dilapidated threshold some forty heartbeats after retrieving him from Kylar.

Lying the Tainted in front of the squat countertop, kicking a few miscellaneous heaps of garbage from the Tainted's face as she did. Before the last of her spell filtered through her affixed wards, Milly checked both of the rooms on either end of the counter, not trusting Quinn to have done it previously. They were empty, as the Oracle said it'd be, save for mold, trash, animal feces and three partially salvageable chairs. Milly carried the trio and what looked to be the remnants of a broom to the front room. Glancing around the small, rat nest of a space, she placed the chairs in a half circle around the Tainted, all while clearing as much garbage as she could. Wrinkling her nose at the smell of disturbed decay, she knocked on the wall that faced the street, signaling for Oracle and Sothal; praying the building didn't come crashing down around her.

@RiddL @Effervescent @Elle Joyner @Red Thunder

Last edited:

The Tannery

The punctures on his back from the claws of their captured began to throb, and all Sothal could think about was numbing the inevitable pain with his favored drink. His head nodded to Kylar as he pat him on the shoulder. "Let's get this man into that building," he said, and then raised his voice so Quinn could hear from the window. "We're coming 'round to bring him in the first floor. Should suit us well enough I think."

With the aid of Milly's clever wards, they were able to haul the heft of the man tangled in thick netted rope without so much as a sparing glance their way. It was more cumbersome than a weight issue as all the knots dug in at uncomfortable angles. Rounding the corner, he noticed Caterly Street had quieted down to its usual state. It was a smaller street much less frequented by the masses, but the damage from the Tainted spoiled the quaint undertone. Milly and Kylar were able to bring the man in without a fuss.

The rain had let up finally, though the sky was still deep in overcast. There were still diluted remnants of blood and splintered wood tossed about from the former chaos. Those afflicted had moved indoors or away for their care or to rid of any dead to the sea. The Cult of Thieves quickly moved the body into the tannery and laid him upon the wooden flooring of a smaller room. Milly situated what little furniture there was left standing around the paralyzed man.

"Who wants the honors of interrogation?" Sothal asked as he straightened himself. A grunt escaped him as his back registered his wounds in the action. He could feel his shirt sticking to his skin. "We need to tie him up. Maybe blindfold him if we've got a rag, though he might have gotten a good gander at my face already. I'll take guard duty on Caterly. Is there a back entrance here, Quinn?"

The man under the net had been afflicted by giant spider venom causing paralysis. Thankfully due to his tainted form, it was not enough to seize his lungs or heart, and the undulation of his chest taking and exerting breaths could be noted under the tangle of rope. He was completely naked; his clothes having long since deteriorated likely due to his transformation. And he looked rather worn and gaunt. Kylar's knife had shifted in the man's elbow from the movements after his capture to create a large gash that bled into a pool at his arm. The dagger Arthur embedded in his shoulder remained where it had been left, though the wound was far larger which allowed a stream of red to flow.

Something felt off.

Distracted, Sothal walked out of the room to look out one of the broken windows frosted with dust. He said nothing as he disappeared from the tannery with the efforts of his Shadow Magic, now being used to excess, perhaps in laziness. But Sothal placed himself at the base of Paulson's Pub and walked right into the establishment, the toe of his boot catching on the landing. He stumbled forward and into an oddly quiet and empty tavern.

The owner looked a tad perturbed as Sothal approached the bar. "What can I do for you?" the Sur grumbled.

"The strongest thing you've got," Sothal responded. The portly elf shuffled across the bar in search for a particular bottle.

"You get caught up in that mess with the beast?" Jules asked as he began to pour a small tumbler of the Baladuri bourbon known as Great Auntie. Sothal was slightly disappointed.

"Unfortunately," Sothal responded. "I'll take the bottle."

Jules lofted a brow, but set the bottle down next to the glass. "A damned Baladuri was in here earlier in just as much of a fright," the Sur said. "Took most my patronage. Now I'm hearing most of those are dead after what happened."

Sothal dug into his jacket pocket and placed whatever coins were available down upon the counter. Jules snatched it up before he could properly count it himself. It was no matter to him. He set the bottle to his lips and drank the dark liquid deeply. It was not as smooth as he would have liked. The Baladuri were better at brewing ale.

He was amused by Quinn's antics, though he would likely never admit it. Seeing the pub so empty, he saw the long-term impact of the decision. The tingle of the bourbon soothed to the numb he longed for as he looked over his shoulder. Had Quinn not have riled the patrons their success in taking down and capturing the Tainted would likely have not been as successful. More than likely the business would be able to bounce back given the Noble owner did not raise property fees.

But this was not what felt off.

"Do you know why there was a Tainted 'round here again?" Sothal asked.

"Beats me," Jules said with a shrug. "But if you see that Baladuri Tavers, give him a square punch in the jaw for me."

Lethargically, Sothal grasped the bottle in hand and slid it off the counter to hang at his side. "I'll just punch all the blondies until I get the right one for you," he said. "Thanks for the drink."

He shuffled out the door and paused in the dreary Windfeld scene. Everything was so gray and drab and dank. Even the citizens walked with glazed eyes slowly trudging through an unfulfilled life. These were his people, and the only spot of bright color was still only the crimson stains of their fallen brethren. Why would anyone want to unleash a Tainted on the already downtrodden?

Sothal walked back into the tannery like a normal person and shut the door behind him. "Well," he said, "not much going on out there. How much movement does the man have now?"

He brought up a chair to one of the front windows and sat upon it for his watch. The chair leaned dangerously with his weight as the frame threatened to collapse with one bad move. Sloshing the bourbon around in its oddly shaped bottle, he took another reluctant swig. This was not his favored drink.

Currently

First come first serve! Whoever would like to interrogate the man will collab with me on how this goes down. The others are welcome to collab with each other in the meantime with tasks in keeping watch or making guarding the room to make sure nothing goes awry with the Tainted.

@Red Thunder @rissa @Elle Joyner @Gossamer @RiddL @CloudyBlueDay @Doctor Jax

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Red Thunder
H200qnb.png

no-lightbox
After she had relayed Milly's message to Sothal and the others, Cordelia disappeared from the small group for several minutes. Her destination was one of the shops in the area, the owner of which had wisely barricades themselves inside during the tainted attack. It was a quick negotiation, one which, in the end, cost Cordelia two copper pieces, but eventually she returned, dragging a small cart laden with water, a basin and several towels, as well as a few odds and ends.

Injuries abounded within the order, but none appeared fatal. These, decidedly would have to be addressed when their work was done. For now, the creature would need to be tended to. It wouldn't do much good if he died before they were able to question him, and sometimes a little kindness went a long way. He was, after all, still in part human, and whatever manner of beast he became, that was the part of him they would be dealing with if and when he woke...

Flies with honey... and all that.

Bringing the cart inside, Cordelia plucked something from the pile and moving through their small party, found Quinn, pressing the item into his hand. It wasn't the one he had lost to the uproarious winds, but it was nearly identical in size and shape. A wooden ball pipe, belonging to the store owner's husband - a terrible habit, she'd said… as she happily parted with it. Pushing up onto her toes, she placed a gentle kiss on Quinn's cheek, before stepping back, "Well done."

His earlier decision had been, perhaps, misguided… and the repercussions were unfortunate, but all mistakes were redeemable, and if she had shown him anything, she hoped that was it, to some degree.

Returning to the cart, Cordelia transferred the water into the basin, soaking a cloth in it, bringing it all to where the Tainted man lay unconscious. Kneeling down, she unhooked her cloak and lay it over his naked form, before, with a small sigh at the state of him, she began to work gently at those wounds which were visible to the eye. Even with little medical expertise behind her, it was evident the poor soul was in bad shape.

"I'll do it..." She murmured quietly, pressing the cloth tenderly to the knife wound on his shoulder. His breathing was strong enough, with little rasp, his slightly sunken chest heaving with each inhale, undoubtedly though, there would be internal damage from the other wounds, "Gentle hands, first, I think…"

Violence was never ideal, but she understood in their particularly line of labor it was sometimes necessary. If that was the fate intended for the Tainted, there was little she could do to stop it. Suffering, however, seemed needless…

Last edited:
Quinnis Travers
lMB7XCp.jpg

At Sothal's question, Quinn shrugged noncommittally, having followed the crowd into the first floor's back room behind the receiving room.

"I haven't seen one." Raising his chin to scratch under his jaw, he shot a glance at their glorious leader. "I guess I can check for you if you want..."

But whether because Sothal was actively ignoring the answer or simply didn't care, he stepped out of the room. Brow furrowed, mostly out of concern for his friend but in no small part to feed the pure curiosity that filled him, Quinn followed. But he'd only taken a handful of steps before Sothal disappeared in a puff of smoke. Hm. Leaving it to someone else to do the dirty work. And to keep an eye on this lot. He front man's lip curled in disgust; Oracle wasn't here, so he supposed-

Ah, but she'd snuck on when he hadn't been paying attention. Just as he turned to regard the remaining members, she drew close to him, pressing a small thin something into his hand. It was a pipe: almost but not quite exactly like his own. The one that now floated as flotsam in the Glassy Sea. His voice caught in his throat as he examined it.

"What's thi-"

Bracing herself on his arm, Oracle had stood tiptoe and planted a kiss on his cheek. Immediately she was gone, tending to their prisoner. An odd mixture of emotion filled the man. On the one hand, he was relieved; with her here, Quinn was no longer the senior member. On the other, she was playing with his emotions. Yet again. And the worst part was, he was damned if he could figure out whether she was genuine or not. He stood awkwardly, fiddling with the gifted pipe.

Oracle.

Quinn longed, so badly, to pursue every possible lead he could gather, to talk to every damned citizen of the city if he had to, and even beyond, to find out who the hell she was. "Oracle" was perhaps a nice pseudonym, as it clearly advertised her abilities. And it was perfect for hiding behind. But he longed to know. Secrets was the Cult's trade, and the secrets they kept from the people were innumerable. Yet to keep secrets from other members felt disingenuous. Untrustworthy. Dangerous.

Yet she was an ally. A person of integrity, such as the thieves had, vetted by both Sothal and even his own patroness. More, she was a friend.

And Quinn never, ever spied on friends.

@Effervescent @Elle Joyner

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Effervescent
HarbingerXXXXXXXXX
a @Doctor Jax and @Effervescent collab

Tamerlin heard the voice just as he was about to leave the banks underneath the bridge, and he turned slowly, seeing the figure of a nine year old racing to catch up to him. He frowned as he wracked his brains for the young boy's name. It was just as likely that the boy had no name, other than some small pet name the children had bequeathed on him. There was one kid whom everyone only knew as Pissface...

No, he did know this child. Jamison Cook, one of the very, very few who had a last name to fall back on. His older sister had kept him in clothes and housing, a good reason not to come back to the orphanage, in Tam's mind. It meant there was someone with a heart out there somewhere, even if it was just for their younger brother.

"Is that right, Jamie? Lead the way. I've not visited your new home," Tam said, and the boy quickly gripped his hand, biting his lip with over-sized buckteeth.

They wound down through a part of the fish market, and then down in to the Halloways -- a series of descending steps that led to the wharf and part of the canal, a conglomerate of sad shacks lining the stairs that joined the lower world with the upper. It sat, not coincidentally, underneath the Noble's District quite literally, with the steep walls of the Noble's District rising high and serving as supports for the tenements nearest the wharf.

Jamison knocked on a nondescript door three times, then added another two knocks in quick succession, and it opened to several people packed into a single room, a hard-looking woman staring at Tam. Luckily, his small size didn't seem to spook them much. Mostly, he could see they were the servants who were allowed in and out of the mansions in the Noble's district, from what he could see of their clothes in the dimness.

Wordlessly, the child took him by the hand and headed up the stairs with him, and the people below broke into chatter again. Finally, they reached Lynn's room.

She looked weary, but wide awake as she sat on the floor with a blanket cocooned around her body. Jamison guided Tam right over to her, and she tensed up at the stranger in her home. "Jamie," she said to her little brother in a groggy voice, though her eyes remained on Tam. "Who is this?"

"It's Timothy," Jamison explained. "He helped me when I got the puke-y throat, remember? Show him what it is."

That seemed to be enough to convince the girl to relax, as did the others in the room as though the whole shack heaved a sigh of relief of its own. All eyes set on Tamerlin as Lynn slowly pulled down the blanket from her neck. There, a blackness etched itself onto her skin pulsating with a violet hue in an unmistakable mark of Shadow Magic. It was the beginnings of taint.

"Are you a doctor?" one of the women asked.

"Unfortunately, no, though that's not for lack of trying," Tam muttered, giving the girl a once over. He could feel the eyes on his back as he looked on at the girl, and he felt a hollow begin to creep into his stomach.

First a Tainted running amok, and now this girl most definitely has the beginnings of a Taint. She needs shelter, real shelter... with a thick, heavily locked door. Someone is poisoning the people with Shadow Magic. I need to talk to Sothal.

There was little that could be done in her case, other than to have her wait it out and eventually assume the form of a Tainted. It would, perhaps, be kinder to kill her softly, but she no doubt had some kind of information. Becoming a Tainted was not a death sentence in and of itself, but many wished it were, family included. There was also the fact that Jamison was here, and he was in danger, along with the others.

"Jamie, your sister is very sick. If she's to get any better, I'm going to need to take her from here. I have friends who might be able to help her," Tam assured softly, crouching down to the boy's level. "I can't promise she'll be alright, but she'll be in a much better place. In the meantime, you can stay with Asif at the orphanage."

He wondered how he was going to move the girl. She was going to need to be removed, and quickly. He had no idea if Taint could pass from one person to another the way whore's lace could, but he wasn't about to risk it either. The first order of business was to get her out of there.

"Lynn, can you stand? I'm going to get you some help, and I need you to come with me."

Lynn nodded her head and kept her eyes downcast as she tugged the blanket close to her frame. She pushed herself up and stood a good few inches taller than Tamerlin, to which was the only factor that made the girl look up from the dirt floor. Nothing was said in the matter. Instead, she reached out to Jamison and ruffled his hair reassuringly. The boy didn't seem at all consoled.

"Where are you taking her?" he demanded. "Why can't I come?"

"Hush now," Lynn reprimanded. The act of speaking hurt her throat, and she massaged it with her hand in a wince.

Tam deflated ever-so-slightly as the girl stood, revealing that she was several inches taller. Of course. He'd held out the small hope that, as a woman, she might be a bit tinier, but that couldn't be helped. He winced at her harsh reprimand towards her little brother. He looked over to Jamison and he explained, "It's going to be alright. I will explain when you're at the orphanage -- not here."

He smiled to those around him, and announced, "Lynn's in safe hands. I assure you, she'll be back."

With that, the diminutive man escorted the girl out. He shooed of Jamison, but he knew the boy would follow them. That couldn't be helped -- he'd have to lose him, which wouldn't be hard. He had a safe house a mile or two away from the Halloways. He managed quite a few rooms for the Cult, just as a precaution in case any of them were ever in a tight spot and couldn't make it back to their usual foxhole.

For this particular instance, he knew he needed a well-fortified place. He took her through a series of winding alleys, traversing a number of bridges and small waterways in order to lose her brother, before managing a narrow stairwell next to a house of worship.

He descended the stairs and said, "While I understand it's a bit dark down here, I assure you it's safe. And you'll have your own washroom, which will be nice."

With that, Tam took out a large keyring from one of his many pockets, and he unlocked the door set into the wall, nearly hidden from view. He swung the heavy door open to reveal a room about the size of Lynn's shack, though with an attached washroom and a vaulted ceiling.

"Rented this off the priest, who was using it to store wine. Said he should give up drinking and that me renting would be a help. It gets a little loud -- church service is above us -- but it's warm," Tam said as he gestured to the bed that sat in the corner, covered in sheets and blankets, while he lit the wall sconces with a sparking plate. "I do need to find you a doctor, and until then I must lock you in. Thieves can get through the inner lock with a pick, but not the outer. I assure you, I won't be gone long, There's food in the chest there -- meats, cheeses, the like -- and a fireplace to warm water for tea or coffees. Washrooms through that door. There are books, if you can read, and a puzzle set if you can't."

The vaulted ceiling made the entire space seem far more wealthy than she had ever lived. Her eyes were fixed upwards, mouth agape as she listened to Tam. She looked over at him with concern as soon as he mentioned having to part ways, and she shook her head in protest.

"What if they come lookin' for me," she said in a rasp. "I can't defend m'self, sir. It's how they got me in the first place."

Tam looked over his shoulder at the girl, his interest obviously piqued. He frowned heavily.

"Someone attacked you?"

The plot. She thickens.

Tam sat on the edge of an end table and he said, "I need you to tell me exactly what happened before you got... that."

He gestured towards the mark, blistering with Shadow Magic.

She took a step back as soon as she noted Tam's shift in expression. He was still relaxed and friendly, and so her guard was not fully prevelant as she shrugged her shoulders, partially to relax her stance. "It's the Shadow People," she said softly in rasps. It was the Fallenite expression for the Magic Casters dabbling in the dark, for they did not like to refer to them as an army despite the growing rumors.

Lynn nodded back with her head in a general gesture as she continued. "Back in the Noble District they're everywhere and nowhere all the same. Everyone's scared. Don't know who they are or where they come from. Ain't seen none of them 'round our parts. Just up in the Noble folk. Thought it was all spook stories until I got right snatched when I was coming back from Market."

She fell distant, her gaze glossing over with the haunting of her memory as she leaned against the table. "They said nuffin'. Their faces were all covered. Kind of like those blokes that run around our parts fixin' up the neighborhood. Only they got that dark magic. Put us all in cages somewhere dark and pulled us out when they wanted to do this." She jestured to the Taint upon her skin. It was unclear just how much damage had been done to her or if she had enough to eventually turn.

Tam's expression fell to one of empathetic sorrow. He felt sympathy pangs twist his insides as she described being snatched from the road on her way back home, stuffed in a cage, and then spread with the taint. While it was hard to say whether or not those were actual Shadow Magic users, the mark on her neck was particularly damning. If she had said that people dressed in black had given her that mark, he would be a fool to guess otherwise.

But perhaps he'd be a fool who was right. He couldn't make assumptions. There had always been rumors among the smallfolk that there was a secret cabal of Shadow Magic users within the nobility, snatching children for their diabolical offerings to strange and foreign entities no one was sure of, but he had given them little credence.

"It sounds... awful. Sheer awful. I am sorry, Lynn. I will tell you... I'm not going to let them do it again. I think you can help us keep others from getting what you have right there," Tam stated, pointing to the mark on her shoulder and neck with a convicted nod. He spoke with steel in his voice, his eyes flashing angrily. "Do you know any of the others who might have been marked? They are also in danger, and we need to find them as well."

"Others?" Lynn thought for a moment, her head shaking ever so slightly. She brushed her fingers over the tainted markings softly. "There were others. Down in that place, I mean. I don't know who. It was dark. We was all in cages. But when I got out I was in the Noble District for sure. All them fancy homes and snubby folk turning down their noses. Didn't even look my way as I ran out the gate. Guards took a fancy but I outran them. Don't know if any others got out, though."

Tam digested the information quietly. He would almost bet his two hands that the Tainted who was currently being dealt with by Sothal and company was one of the few who had also been snatched along with Lynn. He looked at the wan girl. He wasn't surprised she didn't remember who else was with her.

Never mind that, though. He had to find these people. Someone had to have seen something, though it was more than likely none of them would talk, not without greasing the windpipe a bit.

"Thank you, Lynn, for all you've told me. You'll be safe here," Tam stated, nodding. "There is someone I need to speak to about your condition, and I promise I will be back during the night. Please-- make yourself at home. Everything in the chest is yours to take, the wine, the tea. If there's anything else you might need, ring the bell, and an altar boy will answer. I'm afraid I'll have to lock the door, for your own safety."

With that, Tamerlin stood up and headed towards the door, his mind heavy with thoughts. This was a real problem. With that, he shut the heavy door and headed out. He had an idea of where the Cult might be -- he just had to follow the mayhem they'd left behind -- but it still took him a good amount of time to find the tannery.

Gently he stepped inside and made a beeline for Sothal, sitting in a chair that threatened to break just from looking at it. He hesitated, seeing Sothal's bloodied clothes and obviously pained countenance, but he was the resident expert on all things magic of the shadowy persuasion.

"I hope this isn't a bad time, but I have a bit of news," Tam said with a sigh to him, though if there were others who were inclined to listen, he'd be more than happy to tell.

@Elle Joyner @Red Thunder @rissa @CloudyBlueDay @RiddL @Gossamer

H200qnb.png

no-lightbox
The man did not stir as Cordelia gave him a bit of decency with her cloak. The venom was still in his system and likely had a bit more time before it would wear off. It was a prime time for someone like Cordelia to fish for information, for the man could not protest in a physical fashion. Sothal glanced over to her as she knelt before the body in the other room, lips pressing against his bottle as he slowly intended to finish it off. His duty was to watch the outside, though he would still keep a trained ear to the room in case the man should rouse while Cordelia worked.

The room had fallen relatively quiet, which was more than ideal, really, for the work she would need to do. In his state of paralysis, the man couldn't exactly answer questions, but then, as she had told Quinn during their excursion... she didn't entirely need to ask them.

Setting the cloth aside in the basin of water, she dried her hands on her skirt, then with an ounce of caution, all too aware that at any moment the venom might wear off, she laid a hand against his cheek. Closing her eyes as she slipped effortless into his mind, into his memories.

His memories were disjointed; chaotic. Cordelia would have to sort and file through them, pilfering like fingers flipping through the pages of a book haphazardly. She could hear laughter of children, disembodied in the overwhelming darkness as they echoed out of existence. Quick clips of faces and emotions passed within the blink of an eye. She could see the time he fell off a horse and broke his arm, or the time he was kissing a scullery maid in a pantry. It seemed like Cordelia would need to coerce the mind somehow and direct it where she needed.

It was both sad and a little frightening how perfectly normal his life appeared to be. How quickly things could change... and so effectively. There was little sense in dwelling, however, on those parts of his memory that would afford them no information. Concentrating, Cordelia pressed harder into the subconscious, leading his mind on a path towards more recent events, particularly those most prevalent to the gates closing.

And with that focus became better clarity. The shifting memories slowed as droplets of color converged to form a scene more cohesive and to Cordelia's point of interest. The man seemed to try to resist reliving the scene as it brought him back to a dark corridor. But with a little push the scene began to play out.

The corridor was barely visible. Had it not been for the line of orange light that defined the door at the end, there likely would have been no describable characteristics. Two nondescript forms dragged the man into the room where faceless figures turned to look at him. It was a common thing, the faceless. Sometimes people could not recall the people they saw in their memories, thus only giving them a void or partial features.

They were Shadow Casters, undoubtedly, and as the memory played on, so too did the man's torture into becoming Tainted. The Caster held his hand out to him bearing a ring of gold and emerald. The scene ended in darkness only to swirl into another.

It was disjointed and chaotic and mostly filled with screams. He had been triggered by accident, and through the blind rage he rampaged through the basement up into a posh Noble house. The hired help scrambled for their lives as furniture was shattered and carnage ensued. The beast rushed out of the house and into the Square of the Noble District. Men and women in the finest garments rushed into buildings, some unfortunate to find themselves in the Tainted's path.

The man replayed his assault on a man as a girl pleaded for him to stop. There was something about the scene that had him fixated, and perhaps it was that the man was attacking the workers. The girl felt familiar. Her contorted face twisted in tears as the man in his claws choked before him repeated preventing the scene to continue, but it was clear it was only until now the girl had ever registered, for the beast was content in its prey.

Heart hampered by what she had seen thus far, Cordelia nevertheless pushed forward. There was more information there, more just on the surface. The mind was often like an unfinished painting... unfocused and scattered, but as one drove deeper and deeper into the subconscious, bits and pieces could be picked up, until the disjointed became clear...

For such clarity, Cordelia has to delve into her magic in ways she was never quite comfortable with, but in certain circumstances, it was necessary. She needed his memories to tell her something... and for now she would be satisfied in knowing who the girl was.

The memory faded away from its repetition to focus on the girl and melted into a scene out in a garden. He was headed to the stables on the East End when he passed by the house of Baron Liathe. There was an opening in the awning where he could see into his lush back garden. He always had the prettiest rose bushes of an odd yellow.

But as he passed he saw the girl's face in a frown, her back within the prickling needles of a spruce as Baron Laithe was upon her neck. It was wildly inappropriate, but it was not something he would have been allowed to intervene upon. And so he turned away for a moment only to hear a harsh slap and an outward cry. Compulsion overtook him, and his direction changed to the awning and Baron Liathe's garden.

The rustle of the ivy was enough to catch the nobleman's attention. His hands loosened around the girl's neck as he glared at the intruder. The Baron shouted something at him, but all he could focus on was the loud thumping of his heart.

And then he felt the crack of a broken nose upon his knuckles. The scene skipped to the Baron threatening his life as he stormed off. But the man focused on the girl that reminded him so much of his own daughter.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Lynn," she responded softly. "Thank you."

"I'm Gerald," he said in return, careful not to touch her despite his guarding fever. He wished he could become a wall of bricks just to stand up to the forces that be. "Call for me if he tries anything again. I'll see if my lord can buy you over."

"Will you not be terminated for this?" she asked. Gerald shrugged.

"The Cartwrights don't like the Liathes much," he stated. "I'm sure I'll get some lashings, but I fair I'll keep my work and my life."

Names were power in their lines of business as much as any, and having names to go off of, Cordelia was more than satisfied. Allowing the memories to fade, to dissolve around her, Cordelia came out of the darkness and back into reality. The first thing she noticed as the world ressumed and sight and sound accosted her senses was the pounding pain and pressure in her head... the second was the bead of moisture the dripped onto the back of her hand, warm and thick.

Reaching up, she touched a finger beneath her nose and pulled it back to find it streaked in red. Blinking swiftly, staring at the stain she pushed back from the Tainted, her voice beaded in panic as she called out, "Sothal!"

Last edited:

The Tannery

Faledrin's finest stuck in a rundown tannery. Sothal looked up at the wooden ceiling and followed the beams over to the dilapidated stairs. It was not uncommon for establishments and businesses to be run aground in this city, nor was it strange to see the building decay with neglect. No one could afford to purchase the plot of land or the building or even rent from the Noble owners. And whichever Noble owned this building still served to profit even without a tenant. This city could turn this tannery into housing for the poor with how much space was being unused, but there was no profit in such things.

Tam's small frame almost set off alarms in Sothal as he saw the short man approach and enter. He was nearly used to seeing him, and he was appreciative of the beard. It still took him a fraction of a second too long to register that it was just Tamerlin, and as he approached he stood from the rickety chair. The room spun with his quick movement that drew a frown to his lips as the door closed with a click. For whatever reason Tam reminded him he wanted a loaf of bread. Bread sounded great right about now.

Tam sighed. "I hope this isn't a bad time," he said to Sothal, "but I have a bit of news."

"Alright," he said in return. "What is it you bring for-"

"Sothal!"

Cut off by Cordelia, he turned quickly with concern to the woman within the other room. The Tainted still lay in paralysis in his human form staring blankly up at the ceiling. The streak of red from Cordelia's nose was noticeable in the dark quarters, and in three steps he stood before her to inspect the damage.

"Tell me your name, age, and where you're from," he instructed as he wiped away the blood with a handkerchief. He would wait for her response before addressing the rest of the crew.

"Tam has some news," he called out for everyone to hear. "Come 'round so he can deliver. And hopefully Oracle has something as well? Anything?"

He offered the handkerchief to Cordelia to keep to her nose until the bleeding stopped, "No more magic for now," he whispered, and then motioned to the lopsided chair for her to take.

"The floor is yours, Tamerlin," he continued to the rest, and then beckoned Kylar and Leona to follow him into the room with their captured prey with a flick of his fingers. "We're listening, I assure you. Just multitasking."

And as they entered the smaller room to the side, he crouched beside the paralyzed man and lowered his voice to the two. "I'm not one for Tainted," he admitted. "I'm going to present the option of either letting this man live or to kill him here so he doesn't cause anymore harm. Do either of you have anything on you that could grant this man a swift and painless death?"

@Red Thunder @rissa @Elle Joyner @Gossamer @RiddL @Doctor Jax @CloudyBlueDay

currently
The tannery has been secured and Cordelia has infiltrated the mind of the Tainted to find answers, though her magic has taken its toll. Tamerlin has uncovered more to the plot (she thickens) and is about to present his own findings. Meanwhile,Leona, Kylar, and Sothal discuss options with the Tainted in the other room. Those who were not directly addressed are free to come to me if you are struggling to post.

Due to the nature of how this is set up, after Jax has Tamerlin present his findings, you are allowed to post at a faster pace to allow for conversation amongst our characters. Please write at least a paragraph in response if you have any, and feel free to post more than once for the sake of keeping up conversation.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa
H200qnb.png

no-lightbox
Fear was a funny thing - Powerful, for no one… despite what they might think, was above it. Everyone was afraid of something even if they didn't recognize it for what it was. Cordelia had many fears - some healthy, some less so. One of her greatest, though, was the Shadow Magic she employed, to use her abilities. It was an unpredictable thing, Shadow Magic, and unforgiving. She had known this even as a child, but it had become much more apparent as the years went on. And she had learned, though it had taken time, that it was not something to take lightly.

Never before had she experienced it… the sensation she felt upon leaving the mind of the Tainted. And as the world briefly faded in and out of focus, she became acutely aware that she had surpassed her own limitations, and the consequences hurt… They hurt a lot.

Sothal was quick, by her side within seconds of her having called him, and as he crouched, wiping away the blood from her nose she met his gaze with wide eyes. For a moment she could say nothing, the coppery taste at the back of her throat twisting her stomach into a knot, but as he spoke she nodded, and through the pain in her head, returned his words of concern with a quivering response.

"...Cor--" Blinking, shaking her head, she straightened and her eyes flickered around her before falling to Sothal again, this time with less trepidation, "Oracle. Twenty-six… or so my father would have me believe. And it's Windfeld, though I've some more clever names for it, personally."

Taking the handkerchief from him, she pressed it to her nose, red turning to pale pink, decidedly a good sign, "No more magic…" She repeated, and carefully, rose to settle into the chair. Slowly, she turned her gaze to Tam, smiling delicately.

"You'd better go first, darling. While I get my bearings…"

Last edited:
xxxxxTamerlinxxxxx

Not long after Tam had gone straight for Sothal, Oracle called out his name, and his head shot up to see the woman kneeling next to the man who, no doubt, was Tainted. At first, he thought that Oracle had been struck by the man, but it was obvious that he was prostrated and incapacitated, his eyes still staring up at the ceiling in a most uncanny fashion. However, Oracle's nose bled, and Tam was about to step forward, only for Sothal to beat him in less than three strides.

Tam hovered worriedly as Sothal took her into the other room, leaving the Tainted behind, despite the fact that he was being called upon to speak. It was only when Cordelia had been sat down, and Tam sure that she was fine that he decided to speak.

He felt the eyes on him with slight trepidation. He was used to working with children for goodness' sake, not to mention that his main role was to never be the center of attention. Now, he was in that exact position, and he disliked it intensely.

"After you captured our... guest, I went for a rather long walk to check on my own... informants," Tam said haltingly, choosing his words carefully. "It appears some of them have gone missing. However, the greater problem is that a child I knew at the orphanage took me to his sick sister, Lynn Cook, and it appears she's been Tainted as well. She told me that the Shadow People snatched her from the street on her way home through the Noble district after serving her mistress and that, while she had no clear idea of where she was held, she knew she was in a cage with several others somewhere in the Noble district. She told me that now and again they would take a few people out and... do something to them. Whatever the case, she has an ugly, pulsing black... glowing bruise almost, here. She was released some time after and went home."

He gestured to the corresponding point on his own neck.

"I believe if we can get the identity of that man over there, we might begin seeing some connections. I hate to be presumptuous, but it seems there's a group of Shadowcasters experimenting about, and they lost control of one of their pet projects," Tam sighed. "I've sequestered Lynn away in my Fontaine street address, with a thick, heavy locked door that even she won't be breaking down if she turns, and the temple entrance is far too small for a full-grown Tainted. If we've any questions, we may ask her there..."

He looked to Oracle, hoping that she would have some other insights to add. He eyed the man nearby nervously, wondering if at any minute he could get up and continue his rampage, but it didn't seem he was even awake and breathing, much less a danger.

@Red Thunder @Elle Joyner @Effervescent @CloudyBlueDay @rissa @Gossamer @RiddL

H200qnb.png

no-lightbox
As Tam spoke, Cordelia focused on his words, trying to ignore the pounding in her head. It was only when he mentioned the girl that she forgot the pain, straightening upright with a small start, "Did… did you say Lynn?"

Her lip turned down in a frown, and Cordelia turned to the others, "This man… his name is Gerald. He served in the noble district, under the Cartwright family. A few months ago, he came to the aid of a young girl named Lynn… who worked for Baron Laithe. Her master has wandering hands, and incidentally, our poor Tainted fellow didn't much care to see it happening. Broke the Baron's nose."

Shifting, her eyes moving to the man, lying prone at their feet, she shook her head, "They tortured him. To turn him into this. Shadow Casters. They were nobles. I'm sure of it…" Her fingers gently grasped the chain around her neck, clutching the obsidian ring, "One of them had a ring. Gold, with an emerald… No one outside of that district could afford something like that."

Last edited:
Kylar was staring into space, the pain in his ribs a dull thud as the drug in his herbs went to work. He blinked and shook his head, feeling his hair whipping around his head and beads of sweat roll down his brow to his chin. His eyes followed Sothal as he motioned to follow and Kylar slowly made his way behind, eying their guest as he walked. His thoughts were a jumble when he considered the poor man, somewhat a mix between pity, disgust and anger. No one should have to live their lives knowing that they were a monster. Though some monsters were necessary, like Kylar himself.

He heard talking and took control of his mind, storing away those thoughts for analysis later and listened as Sothal asked Leona and himself what they thought should be done with the Tainted man.

"Sothal, most of my supplies are designed to kill discreetly and slow, we have no idea if a blade through the heart will permanently put him down either, we just don't have enough information about them to know for certain. If I may make a suggestion about killing it, I think I could break its neck and put it out of its misery in moments, no creature can survive that. I cannot condone releasing it back out where it could hurt another, even if we somehow managed to smuggle it out of the city it could attack a caravan. That's my opinion on the matter at least." He said quietly to Sothal so that only he and Leona could hear him.

He turned an ear out to where Tam was talking and heard that there was a young girl that had been afflicted with the Taint as well. But he focused back to the present, waiting for either Sothal or Leona to pipe up again.

@Effervescent