1. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Horror, fantasy, sci-fi.

"I have a private theory, Sir, that there are no heroes and no monsters in this world. Only children should be allowed to use these words." - Alfred de Vigny, Stello

The last time you saw the sun, you would swear blind it was 1820 and His Royal Majesty George IV sat the throne of the Empire.
But one night, as you traveled by ship, the sky and sea were black as death with neither moon nor stars in sight. Another vessel, vast and decorated with frolicking skeletons, luminous in the dark and seemingly made of bone, emerged from the blackness to ram your ship.
They boarded, savage and ostentatious warriors wielding overlarge blades with inhuman strength, and slew anyone who stood against them. Those disarmed or who surrendered were bound in chains and taken away, the sacked ship holed and left to sink.

Now you dwell in Umbra - a vast, dark city in an unknown land where the sun never shines and strange moons cross the sky. When you arrived, you spent days in the Docklands as the Reavers took their tithe - slaves and lovers, prey and servants. That done, you were released into the City. You found that you were not the first to be taken, and people from the world over were trapped here too.

Called an Outlander, perhaps you joined the so-called Reclaimer Guild or the Governor's Office, sanctioned by the dread masters of the City to explore and restore its eerie streets. Perhaps you simply found a place to squat and make your living by honest trade or petty crime. Perhaps you found yourself enlightened by Umbra's defiance of God and reason, learning strange alchemies and raising the dead with electrical power.

Or maybe that's the story your parents tell you. Maybe you were born in Umbra; one of the Strange. Pale-skinned and dark-eyed, more at home in the shadows of the City.

Whoever you are, Umbra is waking up. The liche-lords on Lily Hill demand results and anarchists threaten to shatter the fragile peace. Where will you fit in?

@MelodicInferno
@Cloudburst
@SavannahSmiles
@Alexandra
@PixelWitch

• Your character may come from any country, and any time between 1790 and 1890.
  • I strongly recommend everyone be a member of the Reclaimer Guild
  • If someone wants the added complexity, I will permit one Outlander character to be a theurgist; a mad scientist, of sorts.
  • Likewise, I will permit one Stranger to be a Weirdworker, harnessing the power of sorcery.
More details will follow in the Character Index, but for now please let me hear some character concepts.

Terms
Outlander - a normal human, taken from the outside world.
Stranger - the child of an Outlander, seemingly human but... different.
Reclaimer - As in a member of the Guild, charged with exploring Umbra and making it habitable.
Ab-Dead - The Vampires who dwell in the docklands, capturing Outlanders and enforcing the liche-lord's rule.
Undead - The liche-lords of Lily Hill; truly undead beings of great magical power dressed in finery and ornate funeral masks.

Last edited:
Oh, terribly sorry, I forgot I'd said that initially because no one had posted. Let's just call this an overwrite - sorry about that. Better to start low and scale up.

Edited stuff into the Character Index first post.

It's taking longer than I thought so I'll continue tomorrow.
If anyone has any interesting ideas they want to suggest based on what's there, feel free.

Character sheet up. I really hope this is still going ahead, no one else seems to have said anything since...

As long as people are still up for it, I'll still run it, but I do need the complement of players.

That said, even if people remain invested I'm going to be busy with deadlines until mid-march.

Status
Not open for further replies.