The Contessa's Secret

Angus was waiting for Celine when she stormed out of the barracks. Still all fire and anger, ready to take up any battle or contrary word. She stopped in the hall with her hands resting on her hips. Waiting, even daring him to open his mouth. Angus himself waiting several moments. A silent raise of his eyebrow as he watched the Contessa run through her range of emotions. All exhibited far too openly across her face.

Finally, Celine couldn't take the stare down any longer she broke the silence first. "My decision is made. I can't stand to have something like this happen again."

Angus nodded. "Of course I understand, Contessa. Yet, what do you expect the Guard to do with the mythos that is capture on these grounds?"

"Give them rooms to sleep in, obviously! I am going to make arrangements to see the King. Things like this just shouldn't be allowed to carry on. I intend to leave in the morning." she responded matter-of-factually. Celine was expecting Angus to start shouting. It was his usual reaction to things she did.

Instead, Angus seemed suspiciously calm. "I am afraid that will be impossible. Within a weeks time, we will have someone arriving and you will be busy with a wedding. Your wedding, Celine."

"...my what?" The confusion was written all over her delicate features. The statement taking her by surprise.

"With these wild risks you take, you are not considering your safety or the future of the people that live in this castle or these lands. It is by luck the King is aware of your age and takes pity on hapless females, as instead of newly trained Guardsmen you might have received an arrest. To prevent the worst and protect you must marry. ...I have a Betrothed for you, and though he is not my personal choice, he comes recommended by the King himself, and you will do well to do as you are told."

Celine couldn't imagine being any more angry than she was before. But this was just... out of the question! "If I have to marry, then I could marry Skylar! I am not going to meet some stranger and be his loveless trophy wife! This is my property and MY life!"

"Until you are Twenty, I am your legal Guardian, Celine. And these properties you own are still in the King's domain. That boy is an orphan and barely even a man himself. From this moment forward you are forbidden to see him, and you will welcome your fiance with open arms. If you do not want to see every man, woman and child in this castle meet the fate of that poor dwarf, you will stop being selfish and think for once!" By the end of the statement, Angus' voice had rose and become harsh. He didn't want to shout at the girl, and nor did he like the turn of events. But this was just the way things needed to be.

Celine couldn't seem to find a reply. In a choked sob, she pushed past Angus and ran for her room. It couldn't end this way... and somehow she would think of a solution!

For the next few days, Skylar went about his work sullenly and silently. Not even Ed could bring him round this time, or even get him to open his mouth.

Now that he knew for sure the Mythos were on the grounds, Skylar noticed little hints of them all around the castle. And he noticed the rumors as well. The Contessa was betrothed to be wed, and the chosen would be here within the week. This was the final blow for Skylar. He would lose her forever if he didn't do something. But he also knew that doing something would end his career and his life here. He finally opened his mouth to tell Ed as much, but it only ended in a sharp and heated argument. Edward couldn't bear the thought of his friend throwing away his whole life for what he saw as a hopeless situation, and that the Contessa couldn't be changed from her dangerous and foolhardy ways by a sympathetic guard, and neither would she be protected from the king.

Skylar had stormed out in a fury, and spent the next few hours roaming the ramparts and the grounds in a sour mood, brooding and trying to think.

Around about midnight, as he came out of a stairwell onto a high rampart, Skylar noticed a messenger on a swift horse steal quietly up to the castle. He also noticed a figure come out to greet him. The pair went through one of the concealed guard entrances. Skylar knew it led up a stairwell in the walls to a remote part of the ramparts. He quietly stole that way to see what was going on.

Reaching the part of the ramparts directly above them, Skylar listened and watched in horror as he discovered that the person the messenger was meeting was Edward! He strained to hear what they were saying.

"...received your message about the true extent of the problem. He's sent word to the Lord and you'll be promoted once he takes his place as Count..." the messenger was saying.

"Good. I have one more message for the King for you, about one of the other guards and the Contessa. The Count may have some difficulty with him, but he's a good guard. Best to be prepared, though..." Edward replied as he handed the messenger a sealed letter.

"Maybe he'll go the same way as the caretaker and current captain. The King's willing to overlook a silly female's indiscretions, but those who allowed it maybe need further...reteaching..." the messenger sneered. He was a small, squirrel-y person, who apparently delighted in such missions.

Edward just snorted in a grim satisfaction as he handed the scurrilous individual a gold coin. "Better get away before the change of the guards spots you..."

The messenger nodded and disappeared through the stairwell again. Within a minute, the horse was stealing quietly back into the forest again, while Edward stayed on the rampart, reading this newest message by moonlight.

Skylar appeared behind him, shaking with anger. "You..." he growled.

Ed wheeled around, his face stony. "I tried to talk you out of it, to get you to forget her, but since you're so set on destroying your life, I won't stop you! My loyalty is to the king, Skylar. As should yours, and Angus and the Captain's! You've forgotten who you're supposed to be serving, and it's not a stupid woman and some bedeviled mythos!"

Skylar saw red. He punched Edward and tackled him to the ground. The pair wrestled and tousled on the rampart, both on the ground and then on their feet again. Skylar was raging, but Edward was more calculating, and soon had Skylar by the collar, backed up against the ledge.

"Snap out of it, Skylar! You know the king's insane. The best way to survive in this world now is to jump the hoops, do what he says! Who cares about a couple creatures anyway? We're better than them, we have to think about ourselves, protect ourselves from them."

"No! They're living creatures, too! We don't have any right to kill them just because they're different from us!" he argued back, panting.

"That's not for us to decide, it's for us to obey!" Edward shot back. "You're starting to sound just like your little mistress," he added with a sneer. "You sure she's not the one poking you instead of the other way around?"

Skylar's mind went black at that point. He couldn't think, couldn't see. He felt his hands connect, his body move, and he heard a scream, a crunch, then a muffled thud. When the black haze cleared, Edward was looking over the edge of the rampart. On the wall below, he saw a dark stain, and beyond it, far below in the snow, he saw the body of his friend, crumpled and bloody in the snow. Dead.

Skylar's mind was spinning, and he felt sick. What had he done? With a shaking hand, he picked up the message Edward had been reading. What he saw there made him feel ill, the anger and confusion competing for dominance in his mind. Leaning against the wall, his face white and ashen, he vomited the contents of his stomach onto the floor. Stumbling back inside, Skylar aimlessly wandered the halls in a daze, unable to think past the vision in his mind of his friend turned enemy laying dead in the snow, the message still clutched in his fist.

It didn't take long for the guard on patrol to find Edward's body out in the snow. With the hoof prints of someone having fled out in to the forest, they could make lots of assumptions, but they couldn't be entirely sure. Almost the entire guard had been roused to begin a full search of the premises.

Yet it was Angus that found Skylar wandering the halls, pale as a ghost and eyes grimly empty. The older gentleman clamped a hand down on Skylar's shoulder. "Come with me, boy." He didn't shove or handle him roughly, but it was with a firm hand to guide the young man in to one of the chambers down the hall.

Angus closed the doors behind him, and firmly planted Skylar in to his seat. His brow furrowed, he took the crumpled paper out of Skylar's hand, but didn't yet bother to read it. He was staring down at the boy, serious and concerned. Thinking hard about the right choice of words.

"Edward has been found dead. I know this is a grim blow for you on top of the Contessa's Engagement..." he started, selectively. "You've both been selfish and unrealistic... Love is an impressive thing, but there is more at stake then the hearts of two young people. In time you will understand." As he explained further, he smoothed out the crumpled paper and opened it up to read the contents.

Skylar followed numbly and sat, barely aware of who was talking to him. But at Edward's name, his face contorted, feeling sick all over again.

"...He...he was spying...for the king...he..." he choked out, gulping for air to keep down the bile that was rising in his throat. He finally looked up at Angus, his eyes red and dry, pleading for help to end this nightmare. "I don't remember him falling...it was black, and...it just happened. I killed him..."

The captain entered the room then, hearing the voices. Upon hearing Skylar's confession, he rushed over to read the message as well.

"I suspected it might be one of them, but Edward...?!" he sputtered, disbelieving. Bending down to Skylar, he grasped the young man firmly by the shoulders. "You will tell me everything, Guard Skylar. Right now!"

Skylar had begun to list in the chair, but when his captain grabbed him, it shook him back into some form of lucidity. He flatly recounted the scene, what he saw and heard, right up to the point of coming back to his senses and seeing Edward in the snow. He told them everything; he had nothing to hide or lose anymore. Whether he remained a guard or not, they were all in danger now. He looked up at his captain with hopeless eyes, lost and confused.

The captain stood up from him grimly and paced the room, thinking. Going over to a side table, he poured a cup of wine from the flagon stationed there and brought it back to the beleaguered young man, pressing it to his hand. "We'll need to section off your barracks room to search it, but right now you need the healer more than anything. You're hereby released from duty indefinitely. We'll have to decide later what punishment, if any, should be meted out, and if you'll be fit to be reinstated at a later time. I'm sorry things had to happen this way, Skylar." He spoke with uncharacteristic gentleness to the boy. He knew that Skylar, without family, was little more than an indigent now. He also knew he couldn't send him back to the College now. Not after what had just come to light. It would take time to figure out what to do with him, and right now, the boy could barely function. Who knew what state his mind was in?

Skylar gratefully drank the wine and sighed, feeling relief as he allowed his head to spin, his body still weak from the stress and his empty stomach. He closed his eyes wearily and just waited for what was to happen next. He was at the mercy of all others, just like he had been so many years before. Remembering the words Edward had spoken, so different and alien from how he'd known him all those years together, the pain of his friend's betrayal hit him full force. His friend, his comrade, his brother in arms was dead, and he was the one who'd delivered the blow. Skylar slipped to the floor and wept bitterly.

The captain guided Angus from the room to allow Skylar his privacy, and to figure out what they should do next. The plan they'd thought would bring them security had only brought more perilous times for the future.

Morning came as a somber affair. Not only had the guard lost one of their own, but the Lord they were expecting to be the Contessa's new husband arrived bright and early. In fact, well before they could arrange a better greeting for him. Skylar's fate had not yet even been decided, which would make the entire affair far more complicated than the Captain or Angus cared for.

Lord Reidesel did not wait for any invitations to enter the castle. He and his men, all grizzled and foreboding individuals, marched inside and stopped in the main hall. He appeared to be a good twenty years older than Celine. A small peppering of grey hair at his temples and through his neatly trimmed goatee. As he stood in the middle of the hall, removing his gloves and tossing his cloak to an attendant, he was examining the stonework and sparse furniture with an air of distaste.

Angus was the first to arrive in the hall. His expression seemed to mirror the Lords'. The man was not his first choice as a husband for Celine. He wasn't even a consideration, due to his reputation to be uncompromising, impatient, and unkind. After reading the message he confiscated from Skylar in the prior evening, he now knew why the King was so insistent he chose the Contessa's husband. The King wanted to the Count to be a man loyal to him. Someone who could control the situation with ruthless precision.

"Lord Reidesel, we welcome you to Devareux Castle. I trust your journey went without trouble." Angus spoke carefully.

The Lord gave a smug sort of smirk. "It was as planned. Though - a did intercept the King's messenger on his way back to the Capital. I am quite intrigued by the way this castle conducts it's business..." His words trailed off as he clasped his hands behind his back and paced across the stone. "Where is my fiance?"

"I am not your fiance. I'm SO sorry you came all this way for nothing." Celine was now stepping down the stairs, hair hand holding so tight to the railing her knuckles were white. She told Angus that she was never going to leave her room ever again, but at the Lord's arrival she couldn't help but come and take a peek at him. He wasn't as old as she was expecting, but he was definitely as pompous. She hated the way he walked in and assumed he had a right to demand things. "I've decided to reject your proposal. So if you and your men would kindly take your cloaks and get out of my home." She cast a haughty grin.

Though Angus looked as if he were about to choke, the Lord didn't break his expression at all. He simply stopped pacing and waited for Celine to reach the bottom of the steps before he spoke. "This castle will now be known as Reidesel Castle. We will be married in seven days times. Meals will be at 7, 1 and 4 respectively. I expect my wife to be punctual and polite. Come morning I would like to address and inspect the entire Guardsmen. My men will be searching the castle this evening for illegal mythos, which shall be put to death on sight. I will not tolerate disrespect, deceit, or insubordination. Do we understand each other?"

Celine blinked in surprise before the full weight of his words hit her. Once it did, she was filled with such a rage she could barely contain it. Her body rigid and her voice rose to a shaky yell. "I said I am not going to marry you! I refuse to affiliate with some barbaric despicable human being, who dares to come in to my home and threatens living people with murder. You can take your demands right back to the King and tell him die before I allow it!"

Angus' old body wasn't quite fast enough to reach Celine and silence her. The Lord Reidesel reached her first, snatching her so roughly by the arm he nearly lifted her off her feet. At a single to one of his own men, the guard nodded and pointed for the Lord to follow him. Lord Reidesel proceeded to drag the Contessa along. His fingers digging in to her arm with an iron grip, completely unfazed by her thrashing.

"My dear, what you desire doesn't matter in the slightest. His Majesty has given me control of these lands. In seven days we will be married and I will be the Count. You can obey me, as is your duty, or you can spend the next seven days confined to a prison cell until the day of our wedding. After which you may choose to remain my wife or be put to death for treason to the crown. I care not what you choose." Lord Reidesel finally stopped his march when they reached the bottom of a short set of stairs to a small basement wing of the castle. There standing in the short dark corridor was his man, waiting with a dungeon cell door wide open.

"Your choice, Contessa?"

"I'd rather be dead than marry anyone like you." she responded gravely.

Not wasting time on ceremony or retort, Lord Reidesel shoved her violently in to the cell. The door was slammed shut and locked behind her. Leaving Celine in a dim shroud of shadow. Only a small stream of light pouring in from an open barred window high near the ceiling. Though it was clean, it was freezing and wet. Snow having come through the window and leaving piles of it in the corners.

Skylar was locked in his room in the medical wing, heavily sedated and currently sleeping. He'd gone from raging to weeping to catatonic in shifts throughout the night, but was finally resting quietly after being held down and having a heavy sleeping drug poured down his throat. However, there was no telling how he would act when he awoke.

The Captain had a problem. He was due to be replaced, and his men would soon be answering to another. However, the man who was supposed to take his place was now dead, and the guards would not take kindly to a strange captain. They would obey, but their loyalty would be to their long-time leader, and the Contessa they'd grown a sympathetic affection for. Nevertheless, they needed to put on the show, and bide their time until they could figure out what to do.

And when word came that he'd thrown Celine in the dungeon, he knew this entire plan had been a mistake. They had been trying to save her, and they may have very well hastened her death. Like Angus, he'd known Celine since birth; he'd watched her grow and develop into the loving soul she was today. He couldn't bear to see that light snuffed out for no more than a mad king's wish. He had to talk to Angus, and soon. But first, he had to ready his men for inspection, and pay a visit to the healer to check up on Skylar.

A contingent of the guards had been assigned the duty to burn Edward's body, which they all did with mixed emotions. He'd been well-loved by all the guards, but when his betrayal came to light, that he had spied on them all and sold out the captain to advance his own position, the feelings were intense and confused. They also felt sorry for Skylar, since he'd been the one to find out. The two had been inseparable, and were more like brothers than friends. They now wondered at and slightly feared the future of their castle, and their Contessa.

Lord Reidesel's men left no table unturned and no corner unchecked as they scored the castle looking for hidden mythos creatures. From the topmost towers to the basement cellars, were anything hiding inside the castle they would have found it. Yet, not even a hint of a creature or an uninvited guest could be found. They questioned the staff and servants. Many of which seemed guilty or suspicious... but all denied ever seeing a mythos creature within the walls. All explained that the Contessa was imaginative and eccentric, they simply played along with her fantasies and that never once an illegal mythos had been in the castle.

Though his men were vexed, Lord Reidesel didn't hold much worry for the loyalty the servants and current guard payed their Contessa. They now owed their loyalty and their lives to him. He made it very clear that anyone who betrayed his rule would be removed either by prison or by death. Nor did he care his future wife was freezing and shivering down in a dungeon cell while he enjoyed a nice seat by the fire. When she was tired of behaving like a child, he would set her free and not a moment sooner.

Angus didn't even try to reason with the Lord. There were men you could reason with, and men you could bend the rules with. This man was not one of those. It was only through sheer luck he was able to help sneak away the last hidden mythos from the castle before the Lord's men spotted them. The Captain Stromblud was quite helpful in that respect. His men were loyal only to the Contessa and their cover made slipping away simpler. They even managed to play Skyler off as just an ill guard under a cover name. Explaining that the man reported to having a romance with the Contessa had fled the castle after killed Edward.

In the hall, alone with Captain Stromblud, Angus was frowning and wringing his frail wrists. The guard were soon to all be under inspection and that would include Skylar. When the boy was roused out of bed, they weren't sure what the results would be. "This is a delicate matter... His men out number our own and are better trained. There cannot be an all out rebellion. ...but Celine is not going to make it to the wedding if she is left in that cell. Nor will she cooperate on the day if she does. This isn't what either of us had in mind when we arranged a betrothal..."

"Hrrm." The Captain agreed. All of their plans had gone foul in the worst ways imaginable. "If the boy can hold his temper, they will never be the wiser to him. Should we buy enough time, we could free the Contessa from her cell and sneak them out of castle. But they can't stay in the country. The moment word gets out they will be hunted down. Lord Reidesel won't take this insult lightly."

"Aye. The bastard is likely to get personal." Angus paused tilting to be sure no one was listening in to their conversation. "Speak to the boy. Tell him our plans and begin arrangements. The mythos can help hide them both and get them through the mountains. It will take a few days, but the moment I have word, you must be ready at a moments notice."

And with that, Captain Stromblud and Angus created their great escape plan.

Skylar floated back into consciousness, groggy and confused, his mind still sluggish. Fortunately, the healer had told Stromblud that this would be the best time to head off any more raving. So, when he finally opened his eyes, the captain was waiting.

"Now, you need to listen carefully to me," he said, forgoing any pleasantries. He was speaking to him like a soldier, hoping that it would help to kick his brain back into gear, to fall back on his training. "Nod if you understand what I'm saying."

Skylar nodded dumbly, blinking sleepily but managing to focus on his captain.

"The situation has grown much worse. What you discovered was not only accurate, it was worse than even we could have imagined. He's thrown the Contessa into the dungeon until she agrees to obey and marry him. He doesn't know that you're still here, but he will soon, if we don't do something soon. Your name now, for all intents and purposes, is now Guard Michael. You're recovering from a severe fever, but you still need to present yourself for inspection by the end of the day. We've shuffled the barracks, and you'll be rooming with Guard Blaine. You'll have light duty as you recover from your illness. Do you understand so far?"

Skylar nodded again, his face now grim and serious. He had to help Celine, somehow. In the dungeon? She'd never survive there!

Stromblud saw this and kept going before Skylar's thoughts got away from him. "Now, I know you want to help Celine. We all want to help her, but I think it's best if you still don't see her yet. Angus managed to secret the mythos out of the castle before Reidesel and his men found them. He is arranging for them to help us get her out of the castle and out of the country. You're to go with her. We can't hide you forever, and we know she couldn't be safer than with you. Once the both of you are away, we'll get back the castle from Reidesel, by force if needed. But we must be cautious until then. We have to play the part. I know you're still not at your best, which is why we can't let you see the Contessa until it's time. We can't risk you getting distracted. Understand?"

Skylar sighed and rubbed his face, but nodded. Struggling to sit up, he fumbled for the water by his bed. Clumsily drinking straight from the flagon, he coughed and grunted a bit before he spoke.

"I still can't get over...what he did..." he fumbled, his emotions still depressed by the lingering effects of the draught.

"I know it's difficult. It's been difficult for all of us. Don't dwell on the bad. Focus on the good times you had with Edward. The person who betrayed us, that wasn't Edward. He doesn't have a name. Think about that; it will make things easier, at least for now." Stromblud had his hand on Skylar's shoulder, the reassuring gesture showing his young guard that he understood and sympathized with him.

Skylar's eyes were wet with tears, but he nodded and acknowledged his captain's hand, forcing a weak smile.

"Good, now eat and get back to the barracks. The boys are waiting for you, Guard Michael."

Guard Michael. Skylar let that sink in, and nodded with a sigh. He picked up the plate of food that his captain had brought with him. He couldn't help but cast his mind back to his first meal in the infirmary. Celine had brought it and shared it with him. As he ate now, he resolved in his mind that he would do whatever it took to help save her. He ate hungrily then, knowing that he needed all the strength it would give him.

When Captain Stromblud saw this, he nodded and smiled, encouraged as he left. The boy would be okay.

================

When Skylar got back to the barracks, he was surprised by the greeting he received. All the guards rallied around him with hugs, well-wishes, and sentiments. He had been worried that they would alienate him for what he'd done, but they understood what he was going through. A betrayal of one was a betrayal of them all. They would stand together now, just like they always had.

Within the hour, the young force was stood at attention with their mounts just outside the castle gates, being inspected by Count Reidesel. "Michael" stood calmly, surrendering himself to his years of training. His eyes were still tired with dark circles around them, but that was easily explained away by the excuse of his recent 'fever'.

The inspections went smoothly enough, though it was clear that Lord Reidesel didn't trust any of the guardsmen. He stared each down, saying no words. His presence itself being foreboding enough. On occasion if someone looked nervous he would squint and lean in close. Ask an question about the castle of the Contessa. And though Guard "Michael" was one of the men he examined more closely, he didn't delve deeper.

Over the next few days, things in the castle were taxing. Lord Reidesel's men took over almost every single duty from the original guardsman. There was not a man left alone for long, without someone there to supervise or spy. The constant surveillance made it almost impossible for Angus and Captain Stromblud to carry out their plans. With someone always on their heels, their preparations took several days longer than they anticipated. In the morning would be the Wedding. If they did not do something tonight, it would be too late.

Down in her cell, Celine was barely keeping it together. She was freezing. There was no heat or insulation to protect her from the cold, and the layers of her clothes had long since been soaked through by stray snow drifts falling through the barred window. Still, she couldn't curse those open bars. The same thing that had in a permanent state of cold was the same thing that had brought her food and the momentary company. It was never a human brave enough to sneak paste the patrol. Or even clever enough to know how! But foxes, or birds. A faerie or sprite. They were always able to slip by undetected and bring her something more substantial than crude broth, and something to drink like wine or hot brandy to keep her blood warm. Had it not been for them, she might have withered away days ago.

But she wouldn't be able to keep her strength much longer. Curled in the farthest corner she could reach, with her legs pulled up to her chest and hands against her mouth so she could try to keep her fingers above freezing, Celine was barely able to keep herself conscious. When she coughed, it was so hard her chest ached and she couldn't catch her breath.

Still, she was hoping to stay awake until the morning. Because if that Lord tried to walk her down the isle, she was going to spit in his face and bleed at his feet before a single vow could be spoken.

If she made it to morning!

Skylar both welcomed and cursed the presence of the extra guard. Welcomed, because they kept him too busy to pine after Celine, or grieve over Edward. Cursed, for the same reason everyone in the household cursed them.

It was tricky, but with help from the healer, Stromblud managed to come up with a way to sneak Celine past Reidesel's men. He mixed some herbs to put into their food, and Stromblud managed to get a message to the kitchen staff who retrieved it along with the usual herbs he provided to keep the household healthy. Then, the kitchen cooked up two pots of stew that night; one for the regular household, and one for the usurpers. It would dull their minds and hinder their memories the next morning, but wouldn't do anything so obvious as to put them to sleep. If they saw anything amiss, they wouldn't even think to stop them.

It was risky, and it would only work this once, so they had to wait to the last possible moment to use it. It had to work!

In his room, Skylar packed his traveling pack, hid it under his bed, and waited in his warmest clothes for his Captain's word to come. He couldn't risk going out to see; he had to wait for the word to come to him. So he sat. And waited.

And prayed.

The time was nearing midnight. The guard were well fed. Lord Reidesel had retired for the night. Only the night guard was up and about, and half of them were a little tired and spacey after their hefty meal of stew. None of the Lord's men seem to suspect anything too odd, as the Castle's guards made sure to play up appearances as if they were just as tired and worn out.

Captain Stromblud arrived a few moments past midnight to retrieve Skylar. In his hands were a few extra supplies. Things that Skylar could easily carry on his person if things got particularly difficult. "Come with me."

As the two left the room they met Angus. The older man too had something for Skylar. A sack with some of Celine's things and one of her cloaks. While the halls were still empty, the three men walked quickly. Only having a few moments before the next patrol rounds would begin.

The elder men stopped when they reached the main door to the dungeon cells below. Angus handing the extra sack and cloak over to Skylar. "We can't help you from this point on." he said with a grave face. "We cannot run the risk of being caught. There are no men inside the dungeons to guard it and this hall will be empty for another ten minutes. No longer. Do you understand?" Angus waited for Skylar's nod before he continued. "Once you have retrieved the Contessa, take the East Gate out of the castle and head straight for the forest. Beyond the treeline a hundred feet, there will be a guide there to help you the rest of the way."

"Goodluck, Skylar."

Skylar nodded seriously as he listened to the instructions and took the extra supplies. He tucked away the items from the captain, and used his scarf to lash the extra sack onto his back. There was no telling what condition Celine would be in, and it might just be easier to carry her. He'd spent all week thinking and preparing himself for this. It was all their lives at stake.

He gripped his Captain's hand and arm in a silent, grateful handshake. "Thank you Captain. Goodbye, Angus. Good luck as well. Hopefully the gods will bring us home again one day."

And with that, he turned and hurried down the hall, alarmed at the sudden drop in temperature. He knew Celine was still alive, but that's all he knew. And with each passing moment, he grew more worried, and his feet moved more quickly. Reaching her cell, he threw open the bolt and raced in, his heart skipping a beat when he didn't see her immediately.

But there! In the corner! Skylar looked in despair at what he saw in the weak light of the moon. She was shivering, pale and ill, huddled in a vain attempt to keep warm. Her eyes were dark from lack of sleep, and he heard the painful cough. Shaking himself quickly, he bundled her up in her cloak and cradled her in his arms as he stood again. She was much lighter than he remembered. He hoped she was strong enough for the journey. The added blessing, however, was that he'd be able to go faster. Not wasting time, he left the cell, shut the door and replaced the bolt, then fled back the way he'd come, carrying his Contessa away from this place.

There was no one in sight at the East Gate when he passed through, and soon Skylar was beyond the grounds and into the deep snow. His breath chugged huge puffs of steam as he struggled through snow that was almost up to his waist. It took all his strength and concentration to stay upright and to keep hold of Celine. She was already wet through, he didn't want her to get any colder.

After what seemed like an eternity, he reached the trees, almost at the end of his endurance. He trudged through the woods, grateful for the cover of darkness and trees, and tried to quiet his breathing as best he could, to keep listening out for his guide. And for danger.

Celine didn't even seem to be aware that she was out of the cell and out in the night with Skylar. Her face flushed with a fever and breath coming in short shallow puffs, she finally succumbed to unconsciousness. She was vaguely aware of the slight increase of warmth. The soft embrace of something that wasn't stone. Her arms were curled against her chest, while her face was nestled against Skylar's neck and hidden from the elements by her hood.

As Skylar trekked through the trees, whispers of wind and footsteps would occasionally break the silence of the night. Yet, it wasn't the guardsmen following. And better yet, not far behind him he could see the path he made through the waist-deep snow slowly disappearing. Someone was out there covering up the trail.

Just like Angus instructed, 100 yards within the forest there was someone waiting. A lithe tall form, even taller than Skylar. With skin almost as pale as the snow, and dressed in a fine green velvet coat. The woman seemed human at a first glance, but on second examination pointed ears could be seen poking out from underneath a furry hat. The smile she offered Skylar was brief. A slender hand beckoned him to follow.

"Come. Do not worry if we will be follow, yet we must take no chances with time. This forest ends at the cliff base. There are many caves leading inside the mountains, it is not likely they will be able to trace the one we take."

He nodded breathlessly, having noticed the path being covered up as he took a moment to look back while he paused to catch his breath. He did not wonder how; he knew that the mythos would do everything they could to protect the woman who'd done no less for them. Taking a moment to kiss Celine's fevered brow, he followed the woman as she led him deeper within the forest.

The light from the moon faded as they entered the shadow of the mountains, and he strained to see where he was going. Still, he did not fear. If he lost his way, he knew there would be others to set him to right again. He kept his eyes steadfastly on the retreating form of the woman, and did his best to keep up. He had to. There was nowhere else for him to go, and wandering the forest carrying Celine was foolhardy at best. He only hoped that once they were deep within the mountain there would be rest, and a place to warm and nurse Celine.

"What is your name?" he asked as he followed, each step growing darker and more difficult to see. He wanted to hear her voice, to ensure she was still leading him.

"I am Ellisandre." she responded. Her voice carrying on the wind like a bell. While she walked, it looked more like she were gliding across the snow, rather than stepping. There was no bobbing or weaving, just a graceful, seamless movement. As they approached the jagged cliffside, all that could be seen before them was rock, rising up the heavens. The trail was more treacherous to navigate here. A necessity to watch the feet and beware stones or falling snow from the mountain took up a great deal of attention.

Though the walk remained mostly silent, ever so often Ellisandre would make a soft statement in regarding their direction. As if she knew that Skylar needed that vocal contact. They finally came near a cave opening. So small and indistinct that it was impossible to spot unless you were really looking hard for it. Ellisandre lead the way, guiding Skylar with instructions about where to step as they climb up the small slope in to the opening.

The cave seemed to be a shallow one. But Ellisandre moved to the back wall. Her hands brushed over several craggy spots. Then with a groan and the falling of dust, the back of the cave opened up to a hidden corridor. Inside it was a long, dark hall. Ellisandre beckoned Skylar to enter first, then followed behind him to close the door.

"We will follow this tunnel deep inside the mountains. There is a place there, where mythos have gathered in hiding. It will be comfortable there."

Skylar nodded, but paused to lean against the wall just inside the tunnel. He was nearly at the end of his strength.

"I just...need a moment..." he panted, shifting Celine in his arms with a grunt. She was lighter than normal, yes, but she was not weightless. And what weight was there was dead weight, not helping at all as he carried her. The trek through the forest had been long, and the climb in the dark somewhat arduous with his precious burden. He dared not complain aloud, but his need for a rest was becoming more and more obvious. He just took a moment to pause now that they were in a safer position before continuing his journey again.

Revived after his short breather, he struck out down the tunnel. Though it was pitch darkness, he did not fear getting lost here. He simply kept one shoulder close to the wall and continued to move forward.

The farther they marched through the tunnel, the more often little luminescent moss and strange stones would appear along the walls. In some areas they were a dim alien green. In others they gave a soft glowing pink. Ellisandre would stop them every hour so to give them a few moments of rest. Taking the opportunity to check Celine's condition when they we stationary. The girl's fever had worsened, forcing Ellisandre to mix herbs and get the Contessa to drink them down with a few swallows of water.

It was near sunrise when the tunnel started opening up wider. Yet, they were so deep within the mountain that there was no light here beyond the moss along the walls. That is why the sudden beam of light striking their eyes came as such a surprise when the tunnel stopped and the trio were standing at the start of a huge open cavern. It was so tall that trees could have grown within it and so wide, it could fit a whole city. And in fact, it truely did contain a city. Little homes and business made from stone. Small streets criss crossing between them. The light giving them the ability to see, was situated high above their heads. A magic infused orb surrounding a big ball of fire.

"This place is our midway point. We will rest here for a day and night allowing the Contessa some time to recover before we move on."

Skylar only nodded. It was all he had strength left for. He was glad for the rests they'd had; indeed, he never would've made it without them. While he was resting, he couldn't help but fret over Celine's condition. He did his best to try and dry her clothes and make her more comfortable, such as removing her wet stockings from her legs and replacing them with thick, dry ones from the sack Angus had given him. He was glad Ellisandre was able to do more for her.

Now, in the city, though deathly tired, he wondered if there was a healer of sorts that could tend to her more fully. He knew he needed his own rest to be able to help her continue on the way, but he couldn't sleep without knowing that she'd be cared for. She needed to get out of her wet clothes and into something warm and dry. She needed something hot to eat or drink. She needed herbs to help bring down the fever and to heal the cough in her chest. Skylar knew he couldn't do all these things alone.

"Where, um, who...?" he fumbled, shaking his foggy head to clear it as he tried to form a straight thought. "Where will we stay? Who'll care for her?" he asked successfully this time, his voice thick with weariness. He looked around for a clue as to which direction he should go now.

"Never fear, human. We will take care." The deep male voice came as a stark contrast to Ellisandre's bell-like tone. There. clopping up before them was a tall, muscular body of man, but the head of a bull. Complete with large horns that seemed to be vainly adored with a wrapping of gold tinsel. Not giving Skylar the opportunity to protest, the massive figure took Celine from his arms. Lifting her body with a flawless ease.

"Follow." As the minotaur led the way, other curious faces could be seen peeking out from their homes and makeshift shops. Bodies of all shapes and sizes, some human-like and others so foreign that they may never have been seen by human eyes at all. But each were incredibly curious and some even outwardly worried about the arrival of the newest guests to their humble encampment.

The Minotaur had to stoop and bend over as he entered one of the buildings. Even once inside he was having to walk slightly hunched over to keep his horns from scraping the top of the ceiling. In to the back of the home he carried Celine, setting her down carefully then backing away to let Ellisandre take care of the rest.

Ellisandre busied herself with removing all of the damp articles of clothing from the girl. Shooing both Skylar and the Minotaur in to the common room before she could take the rest. She made quick work of changing the girl's clothes and tucking her under the covers. By the time she was finished, Celine was grumbling about the sudden prodding, which must have been a good sign, as Ellisandre exited the room with a much less tense smile.

"She is waking, if barely. The fever is still very high. I am going to fetch a meal for you both and medicine from a healer. Horen will stay here with you and answer any questions you may have, however I believe you may want to take the time with Contessa while she is awake."

Skylar nodded, having been sitting tensely and fretting silently while Ellisandre tended to Celine. "Thank you," he nodded again to her, and then to the minotaur. "Thank you."

He couldn't decide whether he was too tired to be awed or amazed at the creature, or if he'd prepared himself for such help in unorthodox forms since Stromblud had mentioned the mythos. But right now, he hurried to Celine's side in the bed. When he saw her resting comfortably, he fell to his knees next to her in relief. Taking her hand in his, he kissed it lovingly and smoothed back her hair. Even as sick and haggard as she was, to him she was even more beautiful now.

"You'll be alright, Celine. I love you. We'll get through this together, and one day, we'll make it back home again. I hope..." His eyes welled up with tears as he thought of home, and he rested his head next to hers on the pillow, listening to the reassuring sounds of her breathing. He wondered how they would wrest the castle back from Reidesel, and even if they did, would the king then send another? Would the couple would be forced to live out the king's remaining days in exile? "But wherever we must go from here," he promised, "we'll go together..."

Skylar managed to maneuver himself onto the stool next to her bed and, unable to keep his eyes open any longer, quickly dozed off; their heads together, holding hands.