The Contessa's Secret

"Angus wants me to be more responsible, but when I do he never quite likes what I want to do." Celine responded darkly. Were her father alive, she doubted they would have given him so much guff about dangerous decisions. They would have heralded him for being courageous and clever. There was a very frustrating double standard about things that she didn't much appreciate.

Those thoughts she hide quickly with another smile. "You must be really good friends. The way you talk about him." There was the faintest twinge of jealously, but coming from Celine it was no way malicious. Even she had to grown up and come to terms with the fact she couldn't have had Skylar all to herself forever. He was going to have other friends.

Celine yawned, falling silent for a few moments as the lateness of the night seemed to catch up with her quick. Settled comfortable against the headboard in a room that was pleasantly warm, she didn't realize how sleepy she was, even as she was wearily trying to keep up the conversation. It was just too soon to sleep after meeting again!

"Maybe Edward can come with us too." she murmured, leaning over to rest her head against his shoulder.

"Mmm..." he answered noncommittally, smirking and shrugging the shoulder she was laying on. "You should head on to bed. It won't look very good if someone comes in tomorrow morning and finds the Contessa in bed with a guard..." he teased her, but blushing a bit himself at the suggestion. "Besides, I won't be going anywhere for awhile, so you won't lose me that easily...yet..." he added with a wink.

He figured he was tired as well, as free as he was being with his words. Or maybe it was because the sight of her being sleepy on him was nothing if not cute. There wasn't a guard among the young group who didn't think she was at least cute, and most of them thought of her as beautiful. They all considered themselves quite lucky to have such a posting.

Before he knew what he was doing, Skylar had rested his head on hers, then turned to nuzzle her hair, smelling it and sighing. It seemed a lifetime ago that they would run all over the castle before curling up together and dozing off for a nap, usually in a sunny spot in the garden or on the parapets during the short summer. When it was too cold to go out, they would snuggle down on the hearth to keep away the chilly corners of the castle. The warmth of the room, and the feel and smell of her hair had him lost in that memory again. It had been the last time he'd been so close to someone, and somewhere deep down, hidden away in his heart, was the desire to be in that place again.

"It's all the way up stairs." Her complaint made it sound like her room may as well been across the continent and not just up a few flights and down a hallway. Even the twist of a frown on her face made it evident that she didn't like the idea of moving. With her eyes closed, Celine was circling her arms around his to cling to. Sending a faint scent of lilac and heather drifting through the air. Her fingers slipped to hold his hand. Bringing up close to her face so she could take a look again. So many times she had held his hand, but then both of their hands were so small!

If she had any worry about someone seeing and getting the wrong impression, it certainly wasn't crossing her mind. What was the worst that would happen anyway? Another lecture from Angus and a few grumpy faces. Celine grinned and shrugged her shoulders gently.

"I've missed you though. I'd like to stay until you fall asleep." She finally lift her head to cast him that smile. Something that was normally so cheeky and teasing, but tonight shined so sweetly.

"I think you'll fall asleep before I do..." he murmured quietly, not wanting to break the spell that had fallen around them. He smirked gently as he nosed her hair one more time before moving down to nudge the side of her face. He lifted his head when she lifted hers and returned the smile, amused. Suddenly dipping his head, he kissed that sweet, intoxicating, infectious smile. The sensation was electric!

It was supposed to be just a little peck, but as soon as his lips touched hers, all thoughts of removing them vanished. Skylar's hand drifted up to her cheek, drawing her in closer as he deepened the kiss with a heavy sigh. His pulse began to race, pounding in his ears and even causing a dull throb in his foot, annoyingly reminding him not to move it. That was definitely going to frustrate things.

Now that he'd already taken one rash move, Skylar took another. He was beyond thought right now. All that existed now was Celine, and the need to be even closer to her. He was already breathing hard as he lifted his head to stare at her dumbly. Then, putting his hands on her waist, he swiftly pulled her into his lap and immediately leaned in to kiss her again.

"I love you, Celine..." he heard himself murmuring as he started to kiss at her jaw.

Surprise took Celine, though she wasn't sure what startled her more. She thought she could take a simple kiss and think nothing of it. No different than her childhood moments of an impish peck at his lips and her running away giggling while he huffed and howled. But this... this was a real kiss! Her body was both tense yet felt like floating away on the nearest breeze. Celine never pulled away. Her eyes falling closed as she savored that taste of his lips with curiosity.

Finding herself in his lap didn't seem to phase her. Celine's eyes were open once again, wide and examining. Her first kiss. Her first real actual kiss and it was with Skylar. It gave her the most elated, twisty butterfly feeling at the pit of her stomach. Her hands were resting on his shoulder, curling in the thin fabric of his shirt. She couldn't help the small curve of a smile at her lips as his own brushed over her skin. This new way of touching was certainly much more exciting than anything she had experienced before.

His words finally registered in her mind. I love you, Celine. All of that swept away emotion stilled the moment her breath caught. Celine tilted back a fraction so she could see his face directly. She was surprised, very surprised! And it wasn't that she wasn't pleased, but... it felt unbelievable!

"Do you really?" she questioned, searching his face for signs of truth or lie. Now that her head was clearing, her cheeks were starting to burn. What was she thinking letting this happen? He was tired, exhausted, possibly medicated! She was taking advantage of an ill man!

Skylar had never been more sure of anything in his entire life. Despite his foot, or the late hour, the long and hard ride, or any medicines still lingering in his veins. His mind had been made up since he saw her alone in the woods. He loved this girl. As he returned her gaze steadily, his own cheeks burning across from hers, he answered her the only way he felt he could.

"Yes." It was firm and simple, as was his way when he would not be moved from a decision. Then he kissed her firmly, more forcefully than before, wanting to leave no doubt in her mind that he meant what he'd said. His arms were wrapped securely around her waist, one hand idly rubbing her back as he felt her form pressed up against him. His other hand drifted up into the curls of her hair, running his fingers through the sweet-smelling locks. "Gods, I love you..." he repeated earnestly, his mouth again drifting down from her mouth, this time continuing from along her jaw to her neck and shoulder.

Skylar had never been this close to any girl or woman before, and had only half-listened to the exploits of his classmates at the college. But this, it was just instinct. It seemed so right. Everything about her was beautiful and he just wanted to take it all in. He wanted to touch every curve he'd admired from afar. As he played his lips along the exposed skin above her dress, the fact that she was on his lap suddenly hit home to him. He groaned and shifted her on his lap, trying to relieve the pressure she was putting on him. But as much as he tried to hide it, he only made it more obvious the effect that she was having on him.

Celine was elated. There was no a girl in the world who didn't want to hear confessions of love murmured from one they adore. Yet the pace was moving so quickly she could hardly catch her breath. Her hands strayed from his shoulders, stealing a touched of the lean arms beneath his shirt. She wanted very much to lean in to his kisses, and prove how much she really missed his absence in a new sort of way.

In the flash of a second, an empty plate fell from the bed and clattered to the floor sending a loud echo through the room and Celine jumping in Skylar's lap. That in itself may not have broken her enchantment, but as she shifted on his lap the slow realization crept over her. He was.. well. It. Panic at unknown territory took over.

Cheeks flushed redder than she cared for, Celine slid off his lap quickly, making a great show of picking up the fallen plate and setting it back on the table. She coughed to clear her throat, but it made no effect on the breathy tenure of her voice.

"I'm um, late for bed, and you need your rest too, and you know I am keeping you up - AWAKE - and I better get going, I'm sorry, goodnight!" All of it came out in such a rush, Celine was having to gulp for a breath as she fled for the door and practically stumbled in to the hallway.

Skylar also jumped at the sound of the plate, shocking him into an alert state of wondering if the sound would bring someone running to investigate. When she reacted, it suddenly dawned on him just how, carried away, he'd become. Turning almost crimson with embarrassment, he quickly tried to hide it, a futile attempt, and apologize all the while she was rambling on.

"C-Celine, wait, I-I'm sorry, I, I didn't mean to, I mean it just s-sort of, I mean..."

And she was gone.

Cursing at himself, Skylar pounded the bed with his fist, embarrassed and frustrated. It had all happened so fast that now that it was over, the sudden absence forced him to slow down and catch his breath, and finally think about what had just occurred. Skylar sat there in stunned silence, the only sound being the sound of his own heavy breathing, and the pounding of the blood in his ears. He had kissed her, but he had so much more than kissed her. He had wanted to do much, much more. Just the thought of it sent another wave of desire and frustration running through him, and he wondered how he'd ever sleep tonight.

Rubbing his hair furiously in an attempt to expel some energy in another way, Skylar finally sighed and reached over to the bedside lantern, turning it down until the wick flickered out. There was only one way he'd get to sleep tonight, and it wasn't going to happen with the light on. He removed his now-sweaty shirt, and unfolded the blanket that was on the bed, pulling it over him as he wiggled down farther to lay down again.

A short while later, he finally sighed, relaxed, and drifted off to sleep, thinking of her. He still didn't know what he would say to her the next time he saw her, but that was a problem for tomorrow.

Celine's escape didn't end until she was once again back in her room and tossing herself in to bed face first. Trying to catch her breath, she didn't know if she wanted to giggle or to groan! Skylar loved her and having his arms wrapped around her was possibly the best feeling in the world. ..but then she had to run away the moment she realized that... well... he really was a grown man now.

"You are late for bed, late late late!" Came a tiny little voice from high up on the canopy of Celine's bed.

Celine sat up, spotting the lithe little form lounging away within the folds of curtains. Tiny dragonfly wings, pointed ears and an impish smile. "Trin, you shouldn't be in here! If Angus finds out, I'll never seen the light of day again!"

The miniature form rolled in the fabric, now tilting upside down as she eyed Celine. "It's so cold cold cold outside. Miss lady is red red, should I go and glitter someone with my wand?"

"Oh no... it's just..." The fairy really should be off somewhere hiding, but Celine really wanted to tell someone what happened. There was no way she could speak to Angus about it. Celine shifted up to a sitting position. Giving a flustered huff as she pieced it all together. "Skylar loves me... and I didn't even tell him I love him too! He kissed me and it was amazing, but then I had Matilda's voice in my head telling me that after kissing there is consummation and that it's terrible, but a woman's duty to pretend like it's amazing to keep her husband happy and we're not married yet but I can't imagine anything with Skylar would be awful and... Oh. I don't even know what I'm talking about!" Celine fell backwards on the blankets once again. Something as simple as bringing Skylar a snack had now turned in to something complicated!

The fairy tilted her head from side to side as she listened, then finally nodded sagely. "Madam Missy Matilda the Broom Keeper is very right. Human women always hate the Menfolk's Wand of Virility. Most of them cry a whole lot. Love is nice though. I bet love makes it better."

"Bother, this hasn't helped at all." Celine lamented. She should have known better than to tell anything to a faerie. Now Celine was more confused, more embarrassed and almost dreaded seeing Skylar again. What if he thought she hated him because she ran away? Love was not in question at all. Loving Skylar was as natural as breathing. But everything else... She had read a lot of story books, and this wasn't quite the way things usually happened. Giving up on trying to make sense of it all for the time being, Celine prepared herself for bed and tried her best to sleep.

It was several days before Celine finally worked herself up the courage to go and talk to Skylar again. Every time she nearly did, she found an excuse not to. He needed his rest. He needed to heal. Maybe he wouldn't want to see her. There were business things she needed to tend to. But in the end she knew it was all because she was afraid to talk to him and see if he regretted what happened. She certainly didn't regret it... All Celine could think about was his mouth against hers, and how much she would love to kiss him again. Just to see if it was just as electrifying as the first time.

Now she was pacing in the hallway, back and forth. Dressed in dark navy blue velvet and wringing her wrists every time she turned. She would walk in his direction, determined to go! Then quickly turn around and change her mind, wanting to flee. Then again, steel her nerves to go back. Before repeating the process all over. So far she had been at it for an hour without much progress beyond a few small steps.

Edward was currently in Skylar's room, trying his best to cheer up his somber friend. He couldn't quite figure out the source of his friend's increasingly dour mood as the days went by. Ed guessed it was his disappointment over being confined to bed after finally getting home, or just boredom. He knew how Skylar loved the open air. But now, he doubted that theory. Skylar always seemed to be looking for someone, expecting something that never came. He'd perk up every time he heard steps in the hallway outside his room, only to fall deeper into his mood whenever they did not meet his expectation. And he seemed more distracted, more lost in thought than usual.

"Skylar, you've got to tell me what on earth's going on with you. I thought we were friends; you know I'm here for you..." he finally said in exasperation, but trying to sound conversational as he moved his pieces on the mancala board. He snuck a look up at his friend as he spoke, but otherwise made no other movement.

Skylar sighed heavily, rubbing his forehead and eyes with his hand, his elbow resting on the armrest of his chair. He was sitting up in a chair next to his bed, having finally been allowed out of it, his foot propped up on a cushioned stool. After that first night, and that next day when she hadn't come to visit, he'd been pining and worrying over the possibility that he'd moved too fast, that he'd scared her off for good. How could he have been so selfish to only think of what he wanted and not how she might've felt? Now, the mental beating was beginning to take its toll, and he was having trouble sleeping, and even eating. One night he completely ignored the dinner that had been brought to him and drank only the small flagon of wine that had accompanied it.

"I don't know how to tell you, that's the thing..." he answered at length, his voice rough from lack of use and exhaustion. "I...I made a mistake, and I don't know if the person will ever forgive me..." he finally said cryptically.

Ed knew all about Skylar's old friendship with the Contessa, so she was the only person he could think of that Skylar would worry this much about offending. He sighed, but then smirked. "Well, usually I'd tell you to go and beg for forgiveness but I don't think the healer would look much kindly at you dragging yourself down the hallway on a busted foot..." he gently goaded his friend.

Skylar simply snorted as he made his own half-hearted move on the board. He wouldn't admit to his friend that the thought had crossed his mind more than once.

Ed watched the move and sighed again. Their games were usually tight and challenging, but this time, he was winning without much thought at all. Skylar's mind just wasn't in the game. "Come on, man, you're not even trying!" he complained.

Skylar sighed and nudged the game away from himself. "Sorry Ed, I'm just not in the mood to play today..." he mumbled, rubbing his face again.

"It's alright, I understand. Maybe another day, huh?" he said hopefully as he packed the game away and replaced it in its pouch.

"Yeah, sure. Another day. And Ed..." He finally looked up with tired eyes at his friend, really seeing him for the first time all day. "Thanks for coming to visit me. It really does mean a lot to me..."

Ed smiled, a bit cheered by that, and pulled out his wooden flute instead, propping his feet up on the bed and playing a relaxing tune.

Skylar didn't mind the music at all; in fact, he was glad for it, because it relieved him of the pressure of a conversation he was not in the mood to have right now. He just listened to his friend and let his mind drift.

Celine finally made it to the castle's infirmary hall. Outside of Skylar's room. It took her several moments just to put her hand on the latch. This was madness! Surely she had enough courage to face him, tell him everything, and then all would work out just fine?

"Huff... I am going to do it!" She exclaimed outside of the door. Taking a deep breath and not bothering to knock, Celine burst in to Skylar's room and started the speech she had practiced all morning.

"I love you too! I really do. Since we were small and chasing ducks by the ponds and all over again seeing you riding a moose and charging through the forest. And I didn't mean to run away, I was just a little startled and maybe a little afraid of consummation, but I know that love makes everything much better. And...!"

And Skylar was not the only person in the room. There was the soldier Edward staring back at her, just as stunned as Skylar sitting there in his chair. If Celine thought the other day was embarrassing, this was a million times.

"I... I'll come back later...!" She backed out of the room as quickly as she could manage, nearly tripping over her own skirts to get away.

Skylar's ears were burning at the long-awaited sound of her voice, and it took him a moment to process what she was saying, but when she turned to leave in a panic, he snapped out of his stunned state.

"Celine, no, wait!" he cried out, almost getting up but remembering his foot at the last moment. He silently cursed it, but immediately turned to his friend. "Ed, stop her!"

Edward was already on his feet after her, quickly outpacing her and catching her firmly, but carefully, by the wrist and waist. "Contessa, my lady, please wait. It's okay. I know how Skylar feels about you, and I won't say a thing to anyone, but you really need to talk to him. I don't think the poor guy will survive another week of pining waiting for you to come back again. I'll leave, so the both of you can talk..."

He turned and guided her back to the room as he spoke to her, gently pushing her back through the door and closing it behind her, not giving her any say in the matter.

Skylar forced himself to calm his breathing, but he couldn't stop the pounding in his chest. "Celine..." he said quietly, extending his hand slowly to invite her to him, as if any sudden movement or loud noise would spook her and cause her to run away again. "Celine, come here. I'm sorry. Please, talk to me..."

It was way easier than she would have liked to be taken back to the room. The door closing her in. She was trapped!

Celine took a deep breath, turning back slowly with her eyes squeezed shut. She at least started shuffling forward, with the air of child who was about to get in trouble. Her face was still beet red and her arms were crossed over her chest. Though she didn't take his hand, she at least stopped close enough to him where the folds of her skirt where bumping in to it.

"I feel like an idiot... I didn't realized Edward was here. I guess I should have looked first. ....It was never so hard to say things before!" Celine knew she was rambling again, but anything was better than having an awkward silence!

Skylar put his hands on her arms, rubbing them as if she were cold, and carefully guiding her to sit on the bed next to him.

"Celine, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to get so carried away the other night. I didn't mean to scare you like that. You know I won't force you to do anything you don't want to, right?" He just had to get that out first. "And you're not an idiot. Just...impulsive. But don't worry, Ed is a good friend. He won't say anything about it to anyone. He'll give me grief for the rest of my life, but I'm used to that," he chuckled, smirking as he surrendered to the fact of the ribbing Ed would be giving him later, if everything worked out. It was the best and worst reason to tell your best friend about your love life.

He gently tried to get her to unfold her arms so he could hold her hands. "Come on, won't you please look at me? I missed you. I thought you were never coming back, that I'd scared you away forever. Then I would be the idiot..."

"I'm not afraid of you, silly." The phrase came out as a sigh and her body relaxed along with it. But she still kept her eyes squeezed shut. Celine was sure if she looked at him she was going to shrivel up in to a tiny mortified ball and never come back to life again. His hands were so warm, though, that she was slowly peeking on eye open to peek at her hands within his.

She huffed. "You don't have to be sorry. I'm sorry." Now that she was here, Celine wasn't sure where to go next! The realization that she had confessed her love to her childhood friend was both deliciously sweet, and a bit terrifying. Had he never left, things would have been so much more simple.

Celine finally laughed softly, both eyes open as she pulled her hands away to press against her own reddened cheeks. "This is ridiculous! Could we start from the beginning again...? I have made a mess of things since the moment you returned."

Skylar pushed himself up from his chair and turned to sit on the bed, all while keeping his foot carefully suspended above the ground. Settling himself next to Celine, he took one of her hands back again.

"I almost would've thought you set a trap to keep me as your captive for awhile," he teased lightly, smiling softly as he nosed her hot red cheek.

"When I saw you that day, you were so beautiful, just as lively and mischievous as I remember. And I dreamed about you that night, when you were waiting for me to wake up. And then to wake up and see you there, it was a whole new dream. I love you, Celine. I love you more than I love me, and I don't want you to do anything that you're not comfortable with. And I promise to do everything I can not to hurt you or cause you pain..."

He slid an arm around her waist, pulling her close as he spoke. Snuggling close, he buried his nose in her hair once more, inhaling its scent.

"And I missed you so much..." he concluded.

Celine laughed softly. A gentle relieved sound that betrayed how much she really was worried about the entire thing. She loved the feel of his breath against her skin. So much so that it was making her a little light headed all over again. Those butterflies in her stomach were doing crazy flips. One of her hands rested across her stomach, silently willing them to stop their fussing. Even as she was tilting to the side to lean in to his embrace.

"Did you want to kidnap me, Skylar?" she teased in a breathy whisper. It was as high as she could raise her voice, with the way he caught her breath. Then all at once, she broke the dreamy spell. Laughing out loud as she hopped up to throw her arms around Skylar. They both fell backwards on the mattress, where Celine was still giggling. Now quickly giving him a short kiss to the cheek.

"Oh, I missed you so much! Now I wish I hadn't broken your foot so we could run away!"

"Whoooaah!" he laughed, caught off-guard by her sudden laughter as they fell backwards onto the bed. Once there, though, he relaxed as he looked up at her, one hand lazily stroking her cheek and then her hair.

"I don't mind where we are, long as I'm with you..." he said with a happy smile before turning thoughtful. "But where do we go from here? We'll have to keep it pretty quiet between us, you know, especially at first..."

But then he wrapped his arms around her to keep her close, his grin returning. "But we don't have to worry about that now! Now that we're finally together, awake, and not being awkward, we can finish catching up, hm?" he suggested, giving her a quick kiss on the lips. He loved those lips.

Celine decided that kissing was possibly her most favorite thing in the world. There was a soft giggle from her again as she propped herself up over him with her elbows and rest her chin in her hands. Her upper body was laying on him, with his arms wrapped nicely around her. She would have swung a leg over him too, but she didn't want to jostle his foot any more than she already had.

Skylar was more concerned about the future than she seemed to be. Celine was all smiles. "Everything here is almost as you left it. Maybe a little different..." She recalled the conversation from several nights ago. Where he was so concerned about her getting in trouble for questioning the King's law. Celine hadn't even told him that she was hiding magical peoples inside and outside of the castle yet... Though she was sure he'd understand why she did it, he was still going to be really upset. It was a secret she didn't want to force him to keep!

"You'll be out of this blasted room soon, at least, yes? We could go sledding again by the lake!"

He chuckled. She was an incurable funster. "Well, maybe not right away. Once I get back on my feet. Maybe you decide you need some fresh air, and they send your favourite guard along, just in case..." he suggested. "I should be back on full patrol in a couple weeks, soon enough so we don't miss the last snows, hm?"

Skylar sighed contentedly as he looked up at her. As much as she threw caution to the wind, he held on to it tightly, never letting it get too far out of his grasp. But he'd gladly run any risk if it meant having and holding the girl he loved. All he really had to do was put up a good enough front so not too many people asked questions. Really, Edward was the only one who needed to know.

He rubbed her side idly as he thought, and for once his thinking left him with a smile on his face, instead of a scowl.

"You know you're the bet thing that ever happened to me? I don't know where I'd be without you. Definitely not right here, right now..." he told her after a long pause, kissing her again.