1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Action, Romance, LGBT, Horror, Mystery, Paranormal. I'm sure there are more, I'm just too lazy to look everything up.
x6LFWhz.png

a8xIz2N.png

Day One. Morning. Arriving at Fenswich Marsh.

After stopping at Zandalur for the night, the delegation woke refreshed and set out for Fenswich Marsh come morning. Unlike the meeting place of the Ten Kingdoms in Oneac, which was an open plain of fresh air, Zandalur smelled strongly of rotten eggs. Mud and swamp water sloshed underfoot the delegation mounts, occasionally splashing upwards against booted feet.

Lusca, a merman of more than a little flamboyance, pinched his nose and hiked his feet up atop his horse. Spoke nasally, lips forced down into a frown: "This is disgusting. Ugh. Are we almost there? I cannot stand the smell."

"Soon," was all what the troll, Jojin, grunted. She looked around cautiously, eyes darting to and fro, as they arrived at what could only be the border of dragon country. For the past thirty minutes the delegation had trudged through a swampland of green and brown yet, where they stood, there was no color. Only dark, shallow waters and flora singed black by fire.

Dragon fire.

"I'm guessin' this is it, then?" Dodrelda hummed, leaning forward on her dwarven yak. "Looks ominous. Smells better, though."

Rolling his eyes, the merman relinquished his hold on his nose. Sniffed tentatively, only to grimace. "Of course it is ominous; it is dragon country. Also, if you think the smell of death is any better, you're loony." Indeed, the scent of rotten eggs had transformed into a rank and pungent smell, seemingly mixed with a tinge of sickening sweetness.

Shrugging, the dwarf looked left and right curiously. Going forward, through the water, would put the delegation at a disadvantage for there was nothing to shield them from the sky. That route, while dangerous, may be the quickest. "Which way we goin'? Both sides got trees."

Jojin rumbled a hum low in her throat before jerking the reins of her mount left. It trotted in place, unwilling to go any farther, but likely would with some extra prodding. "Left. More trees."

"I say right," Lusca insisted. "Do you not see the small hut in the distance, there? We could use that as a base. Send the goblin out to scout or... whatever it does. Tell us when it is safe to travel."

"Not safe," Jojin grumbled. "Go left."

Pinching the bridge of her nose, Dodrelda sighed. Looked to the other members of the delegation with a shrug in her expression. "What do y'all think? Also, can we release the ice mage now? I don't wanna play babysitter this whole trip and he's a waste of space if we have him sit on his arse handcuffed."

@Baddamobs @Impudimp @Shavynel @Damien Kriez @Zero The Grimm @Shayla @Dante

Last edited:
WMmHwLy.png

All rose early morning for the most part without difficulty. The meet and greet between all of them barely a week ago had gone as well as it could have. Tyrian had his thoughts on the group, noticing it held a somewhat balanced mix of those talented with offensive capabilities as well as talented skills of survival or persuasion. Through all of this he was most happy to have been reunited with Layana even if it was in rather serious times. Her being sent out with him was both a gift and a warning as it only proved the nature of their mission on this delegation and what would need to be done to assure the safety of the lands. These next weeks, months, perhaps years even... would surely be trying for each of them.

Sitting mounted atop his friesian steed Nike with Elio recently landing on his shoulder as they drew closer to the border of dragon country step by step. The stench was not a bother to him as he had travelled many a place and also had to live under less than desirable circumstances for quite a few years to boot. But it was funny to see how it affected Lusca. The pretty man having multiple complaints thus far Tyrian was excited for nature to show him that this would be one of the many times they would go through less than luxurious walks of the earth.

As they approached, the stench was dulled with the lingering scent of past flame with the flowers and what should have been 'greenery' singed to a charcoal absence of color. Soon stopping as the group looked between their paths. Going forward through the water was an option but they would be exposed and the dark water could drop at any moment really and be even worse for the group.

Listening to Lusca and Jojin as he considered his own thoughts. He immediately trusted the thoughts of Jojin, the hunter, over the far more sheltered Lusca. More trees. More cover and protection. But he had to keep in mind of the dangerous wildlife that existed besides the dragons that were already dangerous enough. Looking to Layana he could see her thinking on the matter as well as he voiced his own thoughts. "I think going left would be wise. It provides more cover and looking over the map it seems to be the faster route. Otherwise we risk being exposed and have to cross over bits of the water here and there regardless." He said confidently before looking over to the scout of their group. "Rictus? I feel you will be taking much of the reins here in terms of direction. Going with the scout and hunter should their paths align seems to be the best option." He said with a lighthearted wink to the merman. "No offense. I am sure when our sights fall to Icarus you will be vital to whatever we choose to do." He said in mix of play and seriousness as they could not afford to split their decision too much. "What do you think my lady" he said with a softened look held to him. In their time together on the delegation they had barely been able to speak on the missed time that held between them. Looking to the ring she now possessed it was what weeks since she had accepted it. Yet still to this day...not a day to truly celebrate.

Awaiting the other's to speak their minds he looked to the son of House Élivágar. Not being fond in the slightest to give him anymore freedom. The fact he was part of the delegation on the Magister's word still baffled and slightly irritated Tyrian. "I suppose we don't have much choice...but I would keep the cuffs close for when we need to make camp for the night. I don't think anyone really disagrees with me there." He said with his gaze narrowed on the elf. To have such a liability on them with the attitude of his on such an important delegation..

Last edited:

"Wonderful idea! I agree with the princess' dog. Let's go left where there are more trees," The would-be heir to the Élivágar fortune spoke from beneath his muzzle, his frozen breath escaping the crevices of his restraint. His voice was, as his power, cold, calm, and like the frost formalizing within him, stung those unprepared for his harsh truths and opinions. There was a tint of dry humour in Malak's tone as he feigned the sincerity of his words. "That way, if the dragons do indeed spot us traversing their lands, it'll be easier for us to burn and harder for us to escape." He paced forth, the chains that bound resounding the prisoner's tintinnabulations.

Although Malak's reasons were far from the Merfolk's, the Elf could do naught but agree with him. "I agree with our Fish Friend," He glanced upon Lusca, whose decision was founded upon his desire to avoid conflict—an inevitability for this ragtag Accord; as well as his desire to stay within his comfort zone at all times. In Malak's head, it was the most logical thing to do as harbingers of peace.

He stepped forward more, eyeing the old hut with mossy overgrowths and split-ridden deadwood. "We go right, towards the hut—we will peacefully get all the intel we need from its residents… or, we take it. Goblin, be a good boy and scout for us." Still bound by his chains, Malak turned to face the group in its entirety.

"Isn't our mission to advocate peace amongst our people? Should the Dragonkin discover us hiding, sneaking, how then will we explain ourselves?" It was ironic for Malak to take this stand, especially when the border of peace and chaos intertwined too closely to the point of indistinction.

On one hand, he had many blessings in his life. On the other, they were the result of bloodshed and shadowy dealings. On one hand, he saved the crown and the royal family, and on the other, he did so through murder. Malak should've been proud of himself that day, but had he known incarceration was his reward… the story could have ended differently. That was why, for the most part of their journey, he detested walking with Layana—her royal blood only reminded him of her family's ignorance and unwillingness to hear the truth.

"But if there's anyone I agree with, it's the Dwarf." He cracked his neck in an uncomfortable manner. "Would you kindly break these chains, princess? I bet I can be less a thorn on your sides without them… but no promises."

jSuOCsd.png

Duras Gall was use to less then hospitable environments. As were most orcs but he had dealt with such difficulties more then most. Even among his own kind. This of course also meant he had dealt with less then favorable people. Some he had been able to persuade or intimidate. Others he had killed. It was quite possibly the main reason he was sent on this 'delegation' was so he might end up dead since some other leaders, and quite possibly Commander Grutt, didn't like him. He was use to dealing with those kind of people.

None however were quite as difficult as the elf in chains they had with them. While he understood the need for such things, he more then wondered on why he had been sent in the first place if he wasn't reliable. More than any of that however he wondered just why hadn't they better muzzled his mouth.

"You talk too much." He had his liger mount move beside the talkative elf. His nostrils flared in annoyance. "Better to just gag you." He nudged his larger then average feline mount forward ahead of the others to avoid any unnecessary chit chat. "We go left. It's best over all. If we run into actual dragons, then it won't matter where we fight them." They'd all most assuredly would die. "Better to go with cover where it's less likely they'd spot it."

isCZQuf.png

"Smells worse than it looks," Liika weighed in, as much agreeing with Lusca as disagreeing with the dwarf. Swamps didn't bother her over much, but she could see how the shorter statured might find issue. Besides, did dwarves even have functioning noses?

That was hardly the pressing discussion, though. Liika looked in both of the suggested directions, and then at Jojin's unwilling water buffalo, snorting slightly. "Doesn't really matter to me, but ... the house," she opined, perhaps being a little more generous in her designation of the distant building. And for all her verbal indifference, she still made a move toward the right, not separating from the party, but certainly making a stronger gesture than the troll's unmoving mount.

As a matter of principle, Liika tended to leave these sorts of not obviously life-threatening decisions to others, preferring to shrug off the possibility of being responsible for getting people into tricky situations, especially when others like their Oneac ambassador seemed so eager to shoulder the mantle. Her job was to deal with the consequences. And her interest in the house was mere curiosity paired with a dead certainty that she could deal with whatever may come whichever way they chose. Besides, Fenygan wasn't the dragon she was worried about, and the elf had made a good point about sneaking not being the primary objective of the delegation.

Speaking of the elf, she turned toward Malak, and of course Layana. As much as she cared for the elven general, Liika had long been decided on this matter. "I'd rather have an extra pair of hands that'll try to save himself." This she could agree with Dodrelda on. No doubt both of them had had their dealings with the less savory sort of people, and if one thing could be counted on, it was an individual's sense of self-preservation. "It's about The Accord, but we have to survive out here first, and" she added, turning toward the orc, "when -- if -- we fight actual dragons, it won't matter who fights them." Despite the many days she had had to sleep on the idea, it was still as unnatural as ever to think that peace might be possible with the dragons.

saPRyOG.png

As a small, flying object, Lula was more inclined toward coverage than anything else if danger were a prospect. And really that... house? Or was it more of a shack really? Didn't seem to offer more than the potential to be caught under collapsed wood-framing. Add on top of all her ponderings that she much preferred the outside, and she was leaning heavily toward a vote for the left even if it meant prolonging her exposure to the scent of "Sulphur and biological decomposition... Most likely from decaying plant life and wet microclimate..." She murmured under her breath as her eyes scanned their scorched surroundings with an unbidden frown. The large pupils appeared to almost emit their own light with the intensity of her staring.

She'd move with light fluttering strokes of her wings from the side of her nearest travel mate, Dodrelda, to get a better look around without singling herself out from the grouping by rising any higher into the air. All they needed was a blonde beacon to signal anything with keen enough eyesight to see her.

Oh how she hated scorched earth foremost above all the other scents and odors they had encountered on their- so far- short trip. There should have been mallow here, watercress, and berries of all kinds, and yet there was hardly a green... anything! Marshes were not inherently wastelands. The dragons had done this in some part. Her reasons grew to include more time to explore the biodiversity of the area. She definitely wanted to go left. "I'd like to go left... Please." Her even tone didn't modulate until the end in which she gave her sincere plea toward her companions. Manners got you lots of things, her mother had told her so. Maybe it would help out here?

It was about a 60/40 shot in actuality as she had found that about half her party members seemed to disregard the need for such pleasantries while others she hadn't quite figured out and so she had simply mentally categorized them as "nonchalant". Of course, some were just plain rude, but... She hadn't deigned to speak with them on anything of importance, so hadn't had the opportunity to tell them of their impolite tendencies. The information was sure to do some good for them after all. Some people had no idea they were being rude, because they didn't listen to themselves when they talked. Quite the tragic state of being if you asked the fairy.

As it were, she quickly turned the lingering conversation into ambient din, losing focus when she spied a particularly non-murky section of the riverbank. Perhaps she could peak at the aquatic plant-life for a moment? A grin worked it's way onto her lips before she practically flitted to the water and hesitated only momentarily before dunking her head in. She could hold her breath quite well. She would scan until the delegation moved and alerted her with the rippling it would cause in the water. Such a great plan! I spy with my little eye lily pad seeds!

xJgFA8v.png

Layana had emerged early that morning from the warm comfort of her's and Tyrian's tent as she found content joy in being reunited with him once more. Her own gladdened happiness knew no bounds at the knowing that she was able to be the one at his side truly again. She knew that Tyrian held his fears in regard to this mission and the fact that they were reunited in the terms of such danger and the possibility that they themselves may not make it back and the reality that clung to that understanding. This delegation alone would be test upon them and the struggle that had come this far for them to be together. This was to be but the final obstacle in their way and after this.. They could be free to be together and to finally be joined together as one and that alone gave her hope in these dark times.

Later on in the morning , she held to her mount atop the speckled stallion she rode with ease as her back held straight on the saddle as Verdon shifted his head and shook his mane in a huff. With ease , she twisted the reins around her hands and urged the horse forward as they all came to travel further down the path that neared further to the borderline of dragon country. Danger held so near and yet , fear had not come to claim among that of the group thus far as she glanced over the people held there as she yanked on the chain that connected to the dark elf that held to the horse beside her. Layana felt her look cast over that of the dark elf with guard to him as she felt her look cast over the landscape that held ahead of them.as the stench came to leak forth under their senses and began to mingle with the flowery scents that intertwined to the mulled smells. The landscape itself held to a darkened gloom that held in a deep darkness and the once known beauty had long perished. The dragons had marked their lands and destruction was the main way they chose to do so. Her look soon turned ahead as all the horses came to a halt as the group held torn between the two paths that laid ahead of them as her darkened locks breezed around her.

Her look passed among the group as the dwarf and others began to chime in with their own responses to the situation as her look clouded in thought on what to do exactly. Both paths held options that didn't present as the best of choices and yet.. One did seem to rise above the other as she considered it further. She heard Tyrian vocalize his own thoughts on the situation at hand as he finished his talk among the other's and spoke up in question to her on the wants of her own in this choice. Her crimson lips delved into that of a warm smile to her fiancé.. How odd those words felt in her mind and yet.. Seemingly felt just right."I must truly place my agreement with that of you , V'Talian.. Taking the left route would seemingly be the wisest with what coverage we can gain there incase of need to evade any airborn enemies if they were to come. Easier to blend into the thick landscape and the horses as well can manage whatever rocky and wooded terrain is placed in their way. My vote is with that of Tyrian on this matter if I'm honest." She finished with her look passing from all in the group to settle with Tyrian in a soft hearted happiness from the mere look he bestowed to her alone. She did feel sad that their time alone had been limited and especially with the fact that there had been something left unsaid and above all.. Not celebrated. Her hand instinctively came to skim over the ring at her neck as she smiled soft and mouthed silently to him that she did love him as a reminder to him that she had not forgotten it at all.

The moment itself though was soon broken as Malak responded in his snarky nature instantly to Tyrian as her paled gaze narrowed in frustration.to the nature that he snipped at Tyrian. Her look turned upon Malak as the chain that held at his neck began to static slightly and the slight electric bolts sparked to life in warning to him. Her look turned down to the muzzled elf who walked at her side as she yanked his chain harder as it tightened the muzzle and choked at his throat briefly to steal his breath away."Watch your tongue in my presence , Son of Élivágar.. You will show respect to that of Tyrian as a member of this delegation and as that of my intended. Do not test my kindness or I will remind you of why you will not try again." She finished with a cold demeanor held at that look of her's as a glimmer of gold sparked there in her gaze to him. From her side , she could hear Tyrian chuckle heartily as his look turned upon Malik as his gaze looked over the bound elf as he spoke up soon after her." Might I remind you since you have seemingly forgotten that your the one who looks like the chained dog here and not I.. If you'd stop barking and be a good lad.. Then we could remove that piece from your mouth eh?" He finished with a grin marred at his mouth as he leaned back in his seat slightly from atop his horse as Layana exchanged looks with him as her gaze danced with amusement to the way he handled things as she instantly stifled a chuckle. He always knew how to resort back in a quick quipped comeback.

Another horse laid to her other side in preparation for Malik when she chose to offer it to him and more so when he decided to silence himself and behave. But , that would be asking for a miracle to occur with the likes of that pest and his constant rants and dirty looks he decidedly shared often with all. No filter with that one and hadn't been since they had placed him under arrest and trial.

Layana's emerald hues came to pass over the others before lingering in hold to her friend Liika who held tall among the group as she vocalized her belief that Malak be freed from his chains as Malak chose that exact moment to snarky and earn automatic dislike once more in a matter of seconds. The way he cracked his neck back and met her gaze with the cold sarcastic nature that lingered in constant claim to his look all but made her skin crawl in frustration alone for him. They were right though and that was a sad truth that she herself had to agree with the matter at hand that he would be a needed factor if they were to be forced to engage in battle. His abilities itself would play of use in the times they needed it and how he would provide an extra set of hands when in need. Her lips framed into a thin line before they surrendered in a sigh as she nodded in response to Liika and Tyrian.

"You're both right.. When it comes down to it we may need extra hands and his arrogant self may prove beneficial to us in the time to come." She finished as her look then turned downwards on Malak as the intricate device that held his mouth , arms and neck began to loosen under the light shock of her electricity as they fell to the side whilst a solid silver collar and bracelets held chained in place loosely. Her look held warning to him in that time as she spoke coldly to him without showing any weakness to him."Hear me now.. You try to run ,disrespect anyone and or disobey orders. Those objects that remain on you will still deliver a shock unlike any other if you go against me. This is your last chance offered by my father. Do your duty or face whatever penalty my people place over you.. Understood , Little Prince?" She asked in question to him as her horse shuffled on his hooves with a loud clatter to the path that laid under as the horse itself grew anxious with the want to move as her guard remained between Malak and between the sky itself as she waited for final answers on what was to be done and the choice that this Elf would dare to make

RictusBanner.png

The smell in the air…charred plant life and something else, a distinctly fiery smell that only a dragon could leave behind. It was a smell that, no matter how many times you breathe it in, you never truly got used to it. But…

Rictus clambered off his ram (a dull and somewhat unreliable thing that had been 'gifted' to him at the start of this trip), grunting as his wrapped feet squelched into the mud. Running the fingers of his right hand through the almost tar thick muck, the goblin lifted the clot of dirt to his nose, and breathed deeply.

Through the scent of death that dragons left like territory markings, he could smell the swamp. Soggy, and with thick scent of the greenery that was still clinging to life despite the dragon flames.

Fenswich Marsh…

It was a smell he was a little familiar with.

"…Do you not see the small hut in the distance, there? We could use that as a base. Send the goblin out to scout or... whatever it does. Tell us when it is safe to travel." A refined voice drifted through the air, one that caused Rictus' ears to twitch.

"Not safe," A different voice rumbled back, a subtle growl under its owner's words. "Go left."

As debate sparked through the group, Rictus rubbed a hand across his left ear, finding the familiar notch. His thumb brushing against the worn skin, the goblin tried to picture their route, call up memories from when he last had to sneak through this place. He remembered the reeds he had to duck through, and the times they had waded through muck that came up to their belts…

…Hmm, he couldn't think of cover thick enough to conceal a band this big. A group this size wouldn't be able to sneak through the underbrush, and would be easily spotted from the air. All of that made the right-most route look risky, even without the concern for all of the swamp's hidden sink-holes. But on the other hand, he at least knew the path forward. The trees to the left, while safer from the sight of dragons, presented too many unknown dangers…

"I think going left would be wise. It provides more cover and looking over the map it seems to be the faster route. Otherwise we risk being exposed and have to cross over bits of the water here and there regardless." Tyrian voice caused the still squatting goblin to look up, just in time to see the human give him an even smile. "Rictus? I feel you will be taking much of the reins here in terms of direction. Going with the scout and hunter should their paths align seems to be the best option."

Rictus couldn't help when a small, toothy grin took over his face. It was a little odd to have a human look so freely at him with trust, but it was a sensation that Rictus felt like he could get used to.

Standing up with a stretch, the goblin gave one last thought to his plan, before finally shaking his head.

"Hmm…As much as it pains me to disagree with a fine gentleman such as yourself Tyrian, and a powerful, wise, and lovely creature such as yourself, Jojin," Rictus ambled up to the front of the group, patting his right (still mud covered) hand against Lusca's leg. "I agree with the good fellow here. The right way has a few treats that make it the…well, right way."

Rictus lifted a hand, pointing in their eastward path. There, just poking out over the horizon, the silhouette of a stout structure could just about be spied, somewhere beyond the hut.

"For one, we'll be going by more than just huts; the dragon scouts have set up a few towers along the way through the marsh. It'll be a tight squeeze, but I reckon we could all about scramble inside, which will be a fair bit safer than camping out where a dragon could swoop down."Rictus chortled to himself. "And if we're in luck, the lads might have stored a few bottles of drink in the towers. Though, that's not the real highlight of the eastern route."

Striking a confident pose (ruined somewhat by the loose mud that had caused him to sink a couple of inches into the ground as he'd been speaking), Rictus pointed to himself.

"I've been down the rightmost route a few times. I reckon I could lead us safely through the swamp, even shave off a few hours if I remember all the shortcuts." Blinking a few times, Rictus hesitantly added, "Though, uh, only for the first leg of the marsh. Anything past the second tower is going to be news to me."

He wondered if he should mention that it had been a few years since he was last on this route, and thus his knowledge might be spotty…?

"We go right, towards the hut—we will peacefully get all the intel we need from its residents… or, we take it. Goblin, be a good boy and scout for us."

Rictus looked up, eyes narrowing at the bound elf. This guy had a lot of gall despite being the only one in chains…

Rictus was just about gearing up to go abuse the fact that the elf couldn't retaliate with his full power if, say, a goblin came right up to his face and made a less than generous comment, though perhaps thankfully for his hide Layana chose at that moment to undo the other elf's bindings. Scoffing, Rictus wiped his hands of the mud (which only really succeeded in getting both his hands messy), and wandered back to his ram, shrugging as he went.

"Personally, I think our icy little wolf looked better with a leash and a muzzle, but I guess it's cruel to keep a wild animal bound."

Let it never be said that Rictus was smart enough to let a matter lie…

The goblin eventually found himself next to his ram, the shaggy beast chewing absently at a piece of greenery. After struggling to clamber aboard the ram's saddle, the goblin sat upright, nodding at the horizon that stretched out before them.

"Whatever route we're taking, we'd best be making a move soon. Won't matter if we're heading towards a hut or a forest: if a dragon spotted us now, the only way we'd end up heading is through its stomach."

His sombre vigil of the land was interrupted when his ram, seeing an errant leaf blow past, turned all the way around, facing back across the border and taking the goblin with him. Rictus was quiet for a few moments as his view was so abruptly altered, before learning towards the centaur of the group.

"Liika, my dear, I find my current steed to be…lacking." Flashing what he hoped was a winning smile, he gave the centaur a hopeful look. "Would you mind giving me a ride?"

Rictus reflected that was the first time he had ever said that to a lady centaur and meant it literally…

y0ktMRy.png

Eyes falling to the two humans - or, half human, in the woman's case - Lusca felt his shoulders sag. Honestly, if they hadn't such nice faces, Lusca would not have listened to a single word.

"I do hope you're referring to yourself by means of the hunter," Lusca said. "I'm not about to put my life in the hands of a troll, thank you, no matter how good of a hunter it may be." They simply were not intelligent enough to come up with viable plans. And goblins? Little beasts that, while extremely knowledgeable, were corrupted and destined to wreak havoc.

Oh, how I wish we'd gotten a gnome instead. What were the rulers thinking?

Atop the steady yak, Dodrelda audibly sighed. "Are all merfolk this haughty?"

"Hot? Handsome? Charming as ever? No, Love, that is just me."

"Ye know what I meant."

And then the elf prisoner spoke through his muzzle, followed by Liika. Lusca's brows lifted before he cracked a smug smile. He waved a hand towards his fellow delegation members: "See? I am not the only one suggesting the hut. Surely, this elf - Malak, was it? - knows better than a troll. And I would not have hired a daft changeling to ensure my survival."

Malak and Liika had sided with him. That alone showed how intelligent they were in comparison to those who opposed.

OqFB2eR.png

While the group debated which route to take, Jojin's water buffalo grew rowdy. So much so that the troll dropped down into the mud, boots splashing slop everywhere, and gripped the creature's lower snout just tight enough to force eye contact. Gently, she ran her hand over its snout. Narrowed her brows, eyes searching.

What is wrong?

Jojin had never been much of a rider. Preferred to travel on foot when she could; alone, save for Hokum by her side. Despite their usefulness she found the act of riding a creature to be more hassle than it was worth. Sure, the water buffalo listened well to her people, but they did not much appreciate being stuck under a rider when danger was near.

And danger was always near.

Overhearing bits and pieces of the conversation, something the orc delegate said - Duras Gall, if she remembered correctly - made her as nervous as her water buffalo. "Duras right. Dragonkin smell group soon."

"Well, I still think we should go-AhhHHHhh!" The merman shrieked loud and shrill. "What are you doing?!" Jojin winced at the sound, head whipping in his direction. There, Rictus stood beside him, a muddy handprint staining Lusca's elegant uniform. More concerned than irritated, Jojin shot the two a look but said nothing. Instead, she addressed the delegation itself:

"Move now. Dragonkin hear sooner."

iG73h4W.png

Wading the water alone did not please him, nor did having to keep up with the buffalo carrying Mother. He'd carry her, if he could. Then they could use the buffalo to fill their bellies, something Hokum sorely wanted to do. It irked the crocolisk that Mother forbade him from eating not only the buffalo but the other creatures as well; how did she expect him to ignore the tasty imaginations a simple look conjured?

Torture. But, Hokum supposed, that was love. He'd do anything for Mother, including shepherd a straying ram and its rider.

Snap! Snap! Snap!

With his mighty jaws, Hokum skittered across the water and cut short the goblin's ram from going any further. He did not hurt the creature - though he wished he could - but instead startled it into staying with the congregation.

Snap!

One final clamp of his teeth around air, just to let the ram know he would be watching. The rider, too; Hokum still did not know why Mother insisted he play nice with that one.

b2aq7xE.png

Massaging her temples, Dodrelda let out an exasperated sigh. Good Gods this idiot is goin' ta get us killed… Turning to look at Lusca, she frowned deeply. "Wipe it off. It's jus' a li'l mud. Yer goin' ta be gettin' dirty with or without the goblin's help. May's well practice no' complainin' 'bout it."

"But my uniform-"

"Group move."

Another sigh. Didn't the troll know when to stop? Move here, move there, move now, move-move-move. That's all the damn woman said, it seemed! "I was goin' ta vote we go straight - meet Fenygan head on - but seems I've been outvoted. Significantly." Her eyes landed on the small fairy, head poked into the water in front of them. Surely if she'd dare get so close to the water, she must consider it relatively safe? Unless she had little regard for things like that. A possibility but, still - Dodrelda would rather go forward.

Be that as it may, even if she could convince the fairy to change her mind, they'd still be outvoted.

"Move left." Dodrelda watched as Jojin climbed back atop the water buffalo, but only after calming it down. Still, the creature seemed uneasy. "Group voted left."

"Yes, well, it'd be a tie if the dwarf would vote right and then we'd-"

Groaning, Dodrelda steered her yak, who'd also begun to grow restless, in the direction of the dense swamp trees. "I vote left."

If only to shut ye up.

30s941f.png

And so, the group moved left. This route harbored more greenery than they'd previously witnessed, as well as less smoke. It still smelled like death with a twinge of rotten eggs, however. Several odd-looking plants stuck out from the muck, roots intertwined with those of large swamp trees. Some almost seemed to sparkle - though that could just be a trick of the light.

The further they traveled from their previous position, the calmer the rowdy mounts became. Eventually Jojin's water buffalo resigned itself to listening. With a click of her tongue, Hokum skittered past Duras' liger in a blur, murky water spraying the orc as he went.

"Scouting," was all the troll said to him. She did not seem apologetic for the crocolisk's behavior but, then again, Jojin was already covered in muck and apparently didn't mind.

Drodelda hummed, then. "Actually, tha's no' a bad idea. Get a lay o' the land before nightfall. He'll be okay out there?"

"Hokum stay close."

"Hm... We could-"

"Wait one moment - are you insinuating we split up? Also, it's hardly morning."

Shrugging, Drodelda looked curiously at the flora around them. "Jus' an idea. Maybe no' now, but eventually. Mappin' purposes an' all. Who knows wha' we might find out 'ere?"

"Dragons," Lusca said. "Dragons are what we are going to find."

Despite being weaned a well-mannered Elven child, Malak was no stranger to discourtesy—it came to him, appeared before him in a variety of ways. His childhood was marred with lack of parental warmth and an overabundance of material wealth. His adolescence was plagued by his bitter, jealous colleagues more unfortunate than he. His adulthood had the revelations and the death of his family line. His time thereafter was spent behind mystic bars.

This once gentlemanly Elf had heard it all… and the Princess and her beau's retaliation against Malak's cutting tongue could not even come close to the harshness his prison buddies had in store for him when was first thrown into his cell. While the remark about Malak being the true dog of this indiscriminate Accord (the retort was actually clever, and in response the Elf chortled at the brevity of Tyrian's jest), it was the mystical shock sent across the metallic links that stung at all. The static energy was uncomfortable around Malak's neck and wrists, as if countless ants have begun biting into his obsidian flesh. Still, his discomfort was still dwarfed by the discomfort Layana knew not she had—the inconvenience of being so anal. While he, in theory, could escape on his own with some effort, the dark Elf needed no more reason to be distrusted by this group.

But, fortunately for the falsely imprisoned convict, the Princess released him from his bonds. Malak cared not from whose mouth came the order, just the fact that he was freer than before. The chains, rusted and filling the air with the clinks and clamor of nigh-frozen steel, shattered before him. The shards of silvery iron rained upon the mud, sinking beneath Malak's feet. The enchanted bracelets and choker stayed firmly in place, but the Elf paid them no mind—his release was more important.

Now rid of Layana's chains, Malak removed his muzzle, grasping it firmly with both hands. Thereafter, his eyes shed a bluish-white glow. His breath exhumed a frozen breeze, and his veins glimmered and radiated the hue of glacial power—the muzzle froze in Malak's grasp and, with the swift tightening of his palms reduced the restraint to iron and leather shards.

"Finally…" He said, opening and closing his palms, rotating his wrists, and stretching his entire body, filling the space around him with the sound of cracked bones. He gave a sarcastic bow to the Princess and walked towards them and tore his sheathed sword-staff from Layana's steed. Malak's gaze turned towards Layana, "Running isn't an option, Princess. But I am lorded over by no one." Malak expected a shock then and there, but none came. While they comfortably sat upon their literal high horses, the dark Elf paced forward where the royal couple can see him. Malak gagged at the thought, strapping his unnamed sword-staff on his back.

Before Dodrella had decided which route to go, Lusca's mouth ran on… Malak disliked this, and that said a lot about the Merfolk. "Oh grow up, you literal fish-out-of-water froward. Your promiscuity won't help anyone in battle. I should freeze your lips together and offer you to Dagmar! We might actually attain peace that way." Malak bit back as the Merfolk wiped the mud off his uniform. For a master of Frost, he was aflame with anger at Lusca's whining. There was something about other people of the same personality with the dark Elf that greatly irritated him… perhaps it was Malak's own egocentric nature?

The further they paced, the thicker the vines and swamplands grew and the more repulsive the stench had become. "I should not have broken the muzzle…" Malak said, stepping forth in muddied waters, and then some. Though the odor strengthened with each step, the Elf disallowed himself from being bothered. After all, it was just the natural swampland scent.

Was Malak annoyed that he, the Merman, the Goblin, and the Changeling were outvoted? Slightly, yes. But it won't matter if this journey ends in dragonfire. It was, in all aspects, ironic for the prisoner and murderer of the bunch, the most dishonorable individual, to be in the light at all times. As they paced, Malak strolled beside his Dwarven companion. He looked towards Dodrella and gave her a single breath of laughter. "Why was I the only one bound?" He turned to her, his gazed locked unto her own Dwarven eyes. He bent his back and leaned towards her, decreasing his own height to reach her own. With a whisper, and with an icy breeze emerging from his cold, crisp lips, Malak spoke. "I've seen you in prison. I've seen my father's files about you." He crossed his arms as they slowed to a halt.

Last edited by a moderator:
RictusBanner.png

Rictus nearly jumped out of his skin, let alone his saddle, when the sudden snapping of a titanic pair of jaws came from right in front of his ram. Lurching forward, Rictus grabbed on his mount's neck as both beast and rider bleated with surprise.

Hokum, the group's resident crocolisk, snapped a few more times. While it took several pointed steps towards the cowering duo, it made a point of never coming too close. Even to one without an affinity to animals, the meaning was clear to Rictus: don't step out of line.

The ram seemed to understand too, since it abruptly turned around and speedily fell back in with the others. It took a few seconds for the fearful shakes of the ram to cease, however, and a few seconds more before Rictus finally stopped clinging to the beast's neck.

Finally pushing himself back up, Rictus cleared his throat. Despite his praying of the contrary, his face had heated up more than a few degrees, the moss green of his face turning into an almost black-green as he blushed.

"W-well, let's not delay! The, uh, animals are getting restless, h-haha."

His ram, suddenly feeling much more obedient, dutifully trotted forward with the rest of the band, the Delegation taking its first real steps into 'dragon country.'

As the group moved briskly forward, following the natural inclines of the earth towards the much more forested areas of the western route, Rictus let out a sigh. Hokum (literally) snapped whenever he tried to get too familiar with the croc's master, now it was blocking him from breaking the ice with centaurs. Can't a guy have a little fun on a potential suicide mission?

Thus grumbling, the goblin followed the rest of the band as they pushed into the shadows of the trees.

TheFristChoice.png

For all his misgivings about this idea, Rictus had to admit that he felt a lot safer as soon as the group had a leafy canopy over their heads. Suddenly, they felt a lot less like a free meal for any wandering dragon.

It was kind of pleasant, in its own way: the splash of the hooves and paws echoing off the huddled trees, the sun peeking through the leaves overhead, the smell of plant life and swamp water cutting through the scent of dragons slightly. One could even spy the occasional evidence of wild-life, with small lizards trailing across tree branches and warty toads hopping through the muck. If one really wanted, they could have simply pretended this was just an elaborate nature walk.

Now if only Rictus could relax long enough to enjoy it.

He couldn't help but fidget, and glance about. He was far more used to sneaking through the underbrush, and creeping around out of sight. He felt like he was just announcing his whole presence to the world, sat atop this ram like he wanted to give any ambushers a clear shot. He knew he was being ridiculous, just worrying about imaginary shapes in the shadows. But it was hard to shake that feeling of being watched.

A sudden splash caused the goblin to twist around, only to ease when he saw it was just Hokum charging through the water.

"…He'll be okay out there?"

"Hokum stay close."

"Hm... We could-"

"Wait one moment - are you insinuating we split up? Also, it's hardly morning."

Rictus almost offered to go scouting himself. It would be helpful to get a lay of the land, and besides that, would definitely help calm his nerves. But he knew that Hokum probably had it covered. He might not have been exactly 'close' to the crocolisk, but he knew from personal experience that the thing could track like a bloodhound, and sneak better than any goblin could.

Besides, the idea of going off alone into the marsh seemed… questionable.

Glancing about for something to take his mind off the matter, Rictus' eyes followed a note of movement, turning his gaze around to focus on the fairy of the group. The goblin allowed himself to be distracted for a moment, curiously watching the way Ermina's wings caught the light, before a thought breezed into his mind. Do fairies ever get sick of having to flap around everywhere? Those wings looked so fragile; he struggled to think about using them just to get around.

Letting a curious noise escape his throat, Rictus guided his ram closer to where the fairy was flittering around. While they were wandering down this trail, he might as well try and strike up a conversation, rather than just stew in his worry.

"Hey, Ermina, right?" Rictus thought it better to check he got the right name; he hadn't many chances to talk to the fairy before this point. "Don't your wings ever get tired? It seems exhausting, having to flap about like a butterfly everywhere. Er, no offence."

saPRyOG.png

She had been very close to having to come up when the vibrations she had been waiting for tipped her off. Hair slickened by the admittedly brackish waters and eyes blinking rapidly to clear the foreign liquid, Lula cast a glance toward her party members to get an understanding of the chosen direction. In the mean time she worked small hands to wring fluid from her golden locks.

Ever watchful, she took note of the manacles slightly denting the soft, mudlike ground. That must have been the cause of the ripples in the water. So they had freed the rude one? Maybe he would be happier now? She would ask him at some point maybe.

"I vote left."

"Oh grow up, you literal fish-out-of-water froward. Your promiscuity won't help anyone in battle. I should freeze your lips together and offer you to Dagmar! We might actually attain peace that way."

No... He doesn't seem to feel much better, she thought with a shake of her head, but at least everyone else seemed to be in high spirits, so that was a good thing. Left it was! Reaching quickly downward, toward the muck she'd grab up a bit of dirt to stuff into one of the many pockets sewn into the inside of her gossamer garments. "Soil samples!" She sung lightly under her breath, taking to the air to follow after the sauntering band.

thefristchoice-png.154554

Oh, glorious! The wood was practically teeming with life compared to the Fenswich's borders. Her wings would titter restlessly in response to her pent up energy as she took in the effectively changed scenery. "Potent poisonous properties, aphrodisiac pollens, reductive algaes..." She'd gibber hopelessly in fretful anticipation, practically salivating with a mixture of wonderment and scientific desirousness.

She hadn't traveled this far into any dragonheld lands. This was a marvelous grotto of unstudied biota! "Splitting up could be beneficial to research at the least, certainly there are no dragons in the immediate vicinity correct? Jojin, you think it safe enough to warrant the formation of... some type of scouting parties, yes?"

Sure she wasn't a tactician or anything, but neither was she above accepting arrangements to further the interests she held about herself. Whilst she threw her voice into the midst of conversation waywardly she failed to notice the approach of one of her peers, " Why... yes, Ermina is my namesake... You are?" She'd give the courtesy to adjust her hovering altitude to something more befitting of the goblin's own height. He wasn't very tall...

"Don't your wings ever get tired? It seems exhausting, having to flap about like a butterfly everywhere. Er, no offence."

Tilting her head much the like of an animal in a state of barely concealed incomprehension she'd let the question bump around in her mind for a moment or three before a suitable answer presented itself. Mentally discarding the ending platitude. She supplied, "No." Fairy wing motion dynamics was about as voluntary as blinking. In the same way one's feet moved at the thought of walking so did her wings provide lift at the thought of motion. Of course, her legs worked fine too, but... certainly not as deftly. Why walk when you could fly?

Last edited by a moderator:
isCZQuf.png

Liika gave Layana one of those half smiles -- not the joyous sort, but more the sympathetic sorry-it-had-to-be-this-way sort instead. Honestly, though, it was a relief knowing they didn't have to, as the dwarf had said, babysit someone. And then there went the fairy…

Really.

Half this party, she could understand why they had been chosen and in some cases, even why they had accepted; half this party remained a mystery to her. Such as why they'd pick a goblin who had zero aptitude with animals. The crocolisk she could understand as being slightly out of scope -- she was fairly certain it would have tried to take a bite of her if it were allowed to (and then it wouldn't be her fault at all if there were a battleaxe to its head) -- but riding a mount ought to have been a given with the whole traveling thing.

So when the crocolisk chomped the ram back into line and made the goblin's face darken, she couldn't help but chuckle. Amusing enough when it wasn't her. And she supposed she might feel a little gratitude toward the toothy creature, enough to maybe hit it with a hoof before a blade were it to come after her. "Looks like you're doing alright, then," she replied, full smile, in a genuinely ungenuine, but strictly courteous way. "But if it's a matter of disciplining your mount, I'm sure we can settle a price." There was the snap-snap way, of course, but fear was hardly the best motivator.

Time to go then. At least they were capable of making a basic decision.

Liika had just reached the shaft-end of her axe toward the water to alert the fairy, when suddenly, the little fairy appeared. She blinked, slightly. Perhaps she'd underestimated the little one after all. Enthusiastic about the earth, but not completely incapable of keeping up.

30s941f.png

They were on their way again. There was just something comforting about traveling. There was purpose. Liika fell in toward the back, letting others pick the particular path they took, and instead, turned her attention toward the rest of the environment. More than once, she had had to duck a branch or pushed aside a cluster of vines. Not to mention she was up to her underside in muck. There was Jojin who didn't seem to mind the slog at all, and luckily Lusca had a mount buffering him and the swamp. Herself? Well, she liked the ground a bit more solid, with a bit more room to run. Unlike certain others, though, she felt no need to complain aloud.

"We're here to find dragons," Liika reminded the merman, biting back a more severe retort. She could do a with a little less drama, but she was more than willing to entertain those who entertained her pocket. And perhaps it conflicted with her reasons for releasing the elf, but that was more of a worse case scenario. This was what they were here for. But really, she found little discomfort in knowing dragons were around. "Much as I'd rather find them on our own terms, the sooner the better." It was from the fact she wasn't supposed to immediate rush headlong, blade first into it.

But as if one merman filled with drama wasn't enough, there was also the elf stirring trouble, trying to dig at the very voice that had first encouraged his release. True, some of them seemed to be upstanding citizens. And others, well, were good at being caught. Maybe it was that she had had the luxury of choosing better jobs than the dwarf, or perhaps that justice was more willing to cut a Changeling slack because rare was it the occasion they were the masterminds behind an operation. In any case, she wasn't about to weigh into that conversation. The whole point of being a good mercenary was being known for getting the job done, not what the job was.

WMmHwLy.png

xJgFA8v.png
Satisfied with the groups decision but at the same time the near equal division of their numbers and their interactions over their short time together had only reminded Tyrian how ununited they all were. He had his differences with some of them surely. But he hoped that they all in the end truly sought after the same and common goal. Every race and it's leaders had to see the importance of this mission and in that alone he would hold some form of respect for each of them in faith to their being chosen in one form or another for this. As they departed to the left through the heavy treeline Tyrian guided Nike over to Verdon in a playful bump. The steeds themselves well aquainted by now and Tyrian smirked over to his new Fiancee."I think if we decide to split up I'll make sure to keep ya company princess." He said in his playful tone trying to defuse the tension and serious nature to this just a bit but without lowering his own guard before looking over and watching the rest of the group."A scouting party may be beneficial as long as we keep close to one another to some extent especially as we near where we expect to encounter Fenygan. I know being stealthy does not suit....everyone's wish. But we need to make it there alive to plead any kind of case." He said speaking his mind on the matter before returning his gaze to the woman at his side.So much still yet to be said.

Elio still held to his shoulder patient and silent as they would continue on through the murky landscape. It would be safer to hold onto him for now in place of circling in the air. This way he would also be on standby if they had an actual message to send back to Queen Fallon.

Layana held firm to Verdon's reins as she sent him in a light gallop into the wooded forest as she ducked her head lightly and gained some speed ahead of the others. Lightly , her head leaned down to press close to Verdon's ear as she whispered out softly to him in the Elven tongue." N'Tari Bnen.." She finished as he shook his head mightly to each side and his hooves lifted in a faster gallop as she came to make ground ahead of that of the others as leaves and dust flew up around her. Her cloak hood came to fall back as she was in her element and one that she had long lived in for most of her life. With ease , she drew back on his reins to withdraw him into a slower walk with slight distance held above the others as she heard the light tread of hooves near Verdon and herself as Nike came to give a playful nudge up against him as Layana cast her gaze over to that of Tyrian with a playful demeanor as she reached her hand out in passing to smack his leg light as she grinned to him. Her look passed over him with a quirk of her brow in that given instant."Tis you best be the one to keep me accompanied for I need someone who can keep up with me." She toyed before a serious look was cast over to the group as she pondered his words and then spoke up."I cannot deny that perhaps a scouting detail may be in our best plans to do.. It may be wise to take perimeter and scout the length of the area to ensure that we are up to date on best places of cover and to look over the lay of land to see what we are working with." She said plainly as her look cast over to Malak with a guarded smirk as she resist the urge to shove him off his horse as he held to his haughty demeanor as she whispered to Tyrian."Promise me , you'll keep an eye on the Dark Elf as well...I fear we cannot expect the most loyalty from that one." She said as her look passed to Malak and then back to Tyrian

Tyrian did not want to be demanding or assert himself more than needed so he mainly left the choice to scout up to the others. The goblin and troll seemed to be some of the best candidates with maybe another like the dwarf or the fairy. Although Ermina seemed to have a tendency to get distracted. All in all he did his best with the speaking skill and tolerance that he had to just hold the group forward. He hoped that scouting party or not he would still be able to keep the Ice elf in his line of vision. There were others able to go to the scouting party but for sakes of stealth and efficiency those were his main picks. But this is also where things started treading away from his territory and more into the actual scouts or Layana's.

Seeing the troubled look in her eyes he gently touched her shoulder for a moment and held her gaze to say. "Nifred ú-, nin maethor. I already planned to keep close watch to him. We can only hope we can at least offer some trust to him if it's earned but only time will tell. I still question your father's choice in the matter but it can't be helped. But...you should also try to play nice.." he said seriously as he could see the troubled aggrevation held to her. "You have plenty like him in the Ellorian court. Best to ignore most of his comments. Even if his ego could be melted down a bit" He said with a sigh before looking to the ring around her neck. "I am glad you are taking a liking to it...I look forward to the time we can actually celebrate it. Let's focus on getting through this marsh and then we can....talk more about it." He said with a light color to his skin as he still held some disbelief to the luck he had in finding her those years ago. Sadly it seemed the Gods and fates of the world did not provide them the best timing.

Looking back to the others he found the merman's disgust a bit more amusing as he wondered why he really came to be a part of the delegation knowing these circumstances were to come about. Another fun topic to bring up another time.

Layana kept her gaze fixated to Tyrian in that given moment as she sighed under his delivered touch as she knew he was right with the words he uttered. She let a soft smile frame at the crimson touch of her lips as her hand came to lift and squeeze his hand as she gave a nod to him."You know I often am the one to play nice but , it is hard to at times especially with a man of his form that seeks to be the bane of my existence and yet.. He acts worse then those who undermine me in the Ellorian court at times and can ignore them because they are the usual individuals I must ignore with their usual remarks." She said as her look briefly glanced to the Dark Elf and back instantly to Tyrian."I will certainly play nice with him for now , I assure you of that much but , his ego will get him in trouble one way or another on this journey." She warned to him lightly before her lips instantly frame into a smile whilst her fingertips glided over the ring as she nodded."We will be able to celebrate this soon , V'Tel and we will be able to talk further upon it.. I promise. But , let's get out of here and figure out what all of these people want." Layana finished as she flickered the reins slightly to urge forward her horse to the path as she kept in await for what was happening

Elven Translations:
Nifred ú-, nin maethor (Fear not, My Warrior)
V'Tel - My Heart

y0ktMRy.png
Lusca opened his mouth to complain again, only to pause at Malak's scolding. Nearby, he heard the dwarf snort. The merman's eyes narrowed, mouth closing into a thin line. "I am not the one so difficult to deal with that I had to be chained," he said. So much for the high hopes Lusca had for the elf; Malak was turning out to be rotten, just like the rumors.

Though, really, Lusca supposed he couldn't blame him - or any of the delegation members - for a lack of common courtesy. They were land-dwellers. Heathens, most merfolk would say. Lusca did not disagree.

It was then Liika chose to speak, words aimed at him. After having grown up learning the ways of body language and syntax, as well as the accompaniment of many-a fluctuation in tone, Lusca could tell she was playing nice. Even so, Lusca appreciated it; even if the centaur did not agree with his thinking on all accounts, it was nice to know they had someone one the team able to read social cues. It would not do for the elf to use that sharp mouth of his when talking to a dragon.

"Yes, we are," Lusca began. "But we are here looking for specific dragons. I am not interested in the dragonkin or any of the territories."

No, Lusca was here to make a deal with the generals like the lot of them. A deal to end the war. He had no desire to become some dragon lackey's dinner and would, therefore, stay far away from as many scaled beasts as he could.
b2aq7xE.png
Despite her years, Dodrelda still loved a good bout of drama and that's exactly what the merman and elf were shaping up to be. Instigators in their own way, the both of them. While Lusca's earlier screaming likely attracted predators, she could appreciate him - if only because he offered some form of entertainment on this long haul of a journey. Same for Malak, though he seemed to purposefully be making jabs at party members rather than just naturally being obnoxious.

Or maybe Dodrelda read the social cues wrong and they were both just born to irritate. She wouldn't know - Dodrelda had never been too good at that kind of thing, unlike her ruling cousin. It was hard to read people sometimes. With that thought fading, Dodrelda instinctively spat off the side of her yak, suddenly itching to light her pipe.

So, as the elf approached her specifically, she let her yak walk without lead and pulled out a small tin. "Hmm?" She quirked a brow, packing the pipe. Stuck it between her lips and struck a match. Soon, puffs of aromatic smoke billowed out the side of her mouth. "Well," she tucked her tin can away, "Yer better at gettin' caught, I s'pose."

Granted, while she had been caught before and many times, it was never for something so affronting as killing a nobleman. As much as Dodrelda liked conflict, she didn't exactly like the thought of a lifelong prison sentence. No, she could let others handle that - like the elf, here, who seemed so interested in their differences. A chill ghosted across her skin, presumably from Malak's powers, and she narrowed her eyebrows.

Right. She'd worked with his father for a time. Though it had been brief, Malak's father likely kept the records while alive. She wondered who else saw them, if any at all? Not that it'd matter - being close cousins to the King of Darkrun gave one perks and, against his own better judgement, Dodrelda had convinced little King "Tally-mund Gold-digger" to pardon her of several offenses.

"Go' connections," Dodrelda winked at Malak, grinning through a mouthful of smoke. Retook the reins of her yak and looked towards the other party members. "Despite wha' the fish man says, I'm gon' take a look 'round." Nodded East, toward the exposed banks of the swamp framing the route she had originally voted for. "Feel free to come wi' me," she said before bounding off into the muck, density of the flora growing thinner.
OqFB2eR.png
Hokum would not return for a short while yet and, while Jojin knew of his capabilities, there was always a twinge of fear when she sent him off alone. He'd hide better than any delegation member - save for maybe the fairy - and could hold his own rather well against a small drake, so he should be fine. Would be fine. Whenever the two were separated, it took everything within Jojin not to run to her crocolisk in fear he may be hurt - or worse.

Which he was not. Hokum had hardly been gone a handful of minutes and if something had happened, the delegation would surely hear it. Hokum traveled fast, but not that fast. Plus, they'd been dealing with dragons together for fourteen years. She had to trust that, while in unfamiliar territory, Hokum would know what to do in case something did catch him lurking beneath the water.

Still, another moment passed and she could not help but seek him out. Nodding to the fairy, whom Jojin assumed was inquiring about the safety of scouting, she nodded. Tried to think of the words in common language that evaded her - translating trollspeak to common always hurt her brain in stressful situations.

"Not-... need-..." No, those weren't the right words. "Never safe." That was the word. "Dragon land never safe. Scouting make safer." It wasn't exactly what she wanted to say, but Jojin hoped that she understood. Until the Cloud Accord had been signed by all parties, Dragon Country would never be safe - and even after, who was to say the dragonkin wouldn't still try to make a meal of weary hunters come too close to the border? No, Dragon Country would never be safe, but perhaps the delegation could make it a little less troublesome by getting a lay of the land.

Giving her water buffalo a good tap with her heel, Jojin broke off from the group with a sharp, high-pitched whistle to call Hokum back. North, a route veering slightly from their current Northeastern course. "Jojin scout. Come or stay."

And then she was gone, buffalo picking up speed and carrying her through the swamp trees.

y0ktMRy.png
"Are you crazy!?" Lusca howled after them, cupping his hands around his lips briefly and disregarding his own volume. When he realized the two women weren't turning around, he dropped his hands into his laps with a dumbfounded expression. "I knew trolls were slow but I had no idea dwarfs could be so thick-headed." He paused, then, thinking: Perhaps I should have. They are naturally more resilient, after all. Maybe it staunches blood flow to the brain? Makes them daft?

With a huff, Lusca gripped the reins of his steed tightly. "I will be staying here, thank you. Anyone who wishes to use their brain and agree, feel free. Otherwise, do not complain if you get eaten."

2nc0UhS.png

jSuOCsd.png

They had gone left. Which was good. The small bit of fortune though quickly died when the group started arguing with each other which ended up with a group of at least three people already forming to part and scout. At least that was what they said. He thought for a moment to suggest otherwise. That splitting up would be a bad idea. Finding each other would become more and more difficult the further they journeyed.

"Are you crazy!?"

Duras let out a breath of frustration when the fish started flapping it's gills once more. Then again, scouting would save them some time. He already knew who he wasn't going with.

"Liika!" He called out toward the changeling mercenary. She seemed a competent enough fighter. At least, out of the group she was decent enough. "Ride with me." He also looked toward the goblin Rictus. He had hoped to speak with the little thing about dragons. IF he did know things that could be used, and had neglected to tell any of them, well, that would be a problem. Which was why he had wanted him to accompany Duras along with the changeling. Yet he seemed content to speak with the little fairy while in the dirt.

Tyrian and Layana were the more bearable people to be with and though he would prefer to follow with them, each party needed at least someone competent. So he might just go with the other remaining part leader once they had chosen. If Rictus stayed with the fish and elf, that might be a decent enough scouting party. If barely.

Also, there was the talkative elf. That was also a factor into not following the couple as it seemed they would surely follow him.

saPRyOG.png
Oh? Everyone was already splitting up. She wanted to go with Jojin. Although she could have just as well gone with Dodrelda, but certainly she wasn't staying with Lusca. He talked a lot and was more than a little too.... narcissistic for her tastes. Listening to him after a certain point became so banal that one would eventually find more interest in watching the sand sieve through an hourglass. She would maybe grow to like him a bit more as they traveled along, but for the time being she giggled just a bit at Malak calling him froward.

Hehehe... A smile would light her lips feeding off the momentary effusion of joy that her heart supplied. Of course she was still under the attention of Rictus, but that was neither here nor there, everyone could benefit from a smile every now and then. Unfortunately she was losing sound on Jojin's forward progression and would need to excuse herself. "Rictus, was it? I would speak with you a little later? I'd like to follow Jojin. She's going further into the brush."

And she was off, a dimly glowing ball heading toward the unknown, but she was certainly excited about it. Who knows what I'll find next?!

isCZQuf.png

Without thinking, Liika's head snapped up toward the general orc. His voice, like so many of those military types, commanded attention. "As you wish," she replied, a slight quirk in her smile. And while her words were not entirely insincere -- his request, after all, was a reasonable one -- they were not entirely serious either for she owed him no real allegiance.

This plan didn't seem entirely conventional. Liika would have expected them set up camp first, or at least some sort of indication of where they would return to. Sure, it was early enough in the day to cover some ground, and this completely nondescript patch of swamp would do as well as anything else as a marker of where to return. Well, she supposed the merman might be a bright enough beacon, and though he professed a desire to stay at the current location, he did have legs. For now, at least. In any case, it didn't hurt to have a back up.

Liika took her axe to the most visible tree, whacking an 'X' on three sides that would be visible no matter which direction one approached it at. "So we have somewhere to return to," she offered in case anyone was curious.

And with that, she trotted to the general's side. "You agree with this plan, then?" she inquired, "Splitting up?"

RictusBanner.png

"No."

Rictus sat quietly in his saddle, waiting for a follow up. It was only after quite a few seconds of thick silence, all the while Ermina's almost luminescent eyes seemingly boring through him, did the goblin realize that it was the end of the fairy's words.

"…O…kay?" Rictus blinked, shying away from the fairy with some trepidation.

Had the question been offensive? Maybe it was taboo for a stranger to bring up a fairy's wings? He had received an oddly blunt answer, despite the fact that the fairy's tone hadn't sounded too rough. Then again, maybe a fairy's voice was always like that. Honestly, Rictus was not well versed in fairy culture, and felt a little bit out of his depth here.

To that end, it was almost a relief when the arguing voices drifted from the front of the band, and Rictus had an excuse to finally break the unnerving eye contact with Ermina. The relief flooded out of the goblin, however, when he saw the three different directions the Delegation was splitting into.

Rictus unconsciously moved a hand to his left ear, fiddling with the notch in the lengthy strip of green flesh. While he would admit that the trip through the forested patch had been fairly uneventful so far, he still couldn't shake the feeling that this collection of trees and swamp water held some danger they weren't aware of. Perhaps a danger that wouldn't want to tangle with such a sizable group, but would quite happily pick them off after splitting up.

Still, they were right: getting an idea of the lay of the land would be helpful, and it wasn't like the individuals of the group were exactly helpless. As long as no-one wondered off by themselves, it wasn't likely to be too dangerous, right?

"Rictus, was it? I would speak with you a little later? I'd like to follow Jojin. She's going further into the brush."

Rictus looked up just in time to see Ermina speed off, the fairy practically buzzing through the air with glee as she flew to catch up with the troll. Rictus felt a smile grow across his features both because it sounded like he hadn't made some kind of insulting gesture, and because it was nice to see that at least some one was enjoying this outing. Of course, with the group already starting to divide, this did mean that he would have to decide which of three retreating figures to follow behind.

As he was gazing around and judging his options, Rictus happened to look across at the band's orc, and jumped in place when he saw that the hulking figure was already looking directly at him. Rictus felt his grip on his ram's reins tighten as his met the steely gaze the towering orc was shooting him. Duras was hard to read, and thus the goblin had no idea what such a look meant, but Rictus was sure he didn't like it. It was perhaps just an unfair reflex: it was hard to look at anyone Duras' size and not be reminded that they could probably snap the goblin like a twig.

Clearing his throat and turning away, Rictus tried to put his nervousness aside and consider his options. The goblin knew that Jojin liked to scout in her own way, and probably wouldn't appreciate him following behind her like a love-sick puppy (even if he did sometimes feel like one when he saw the troll's arm muscles tense). He didn't really know what to make of Dodrelda, though he did know that he wasn't eager to head towards where the cover of greenery was thinner. That left…

Making a thoughtful noise from the back of his throat, Rictus kicked his ram forward, the small beast quickly prancing forward. As they moved, the goblin took a leaf out of Liika's book and craved a mark into a tree as the travelled past, calling out,

"Remember ladies and gents, scouts who mark the way get home to drink; the ones who don't are why we drink!"

Finally catching up, Rictus slowed his mount as he drew level with the merman. Flashing a full row of pointed teeth, the goblin let off a salute.

"Lusca, my good man, ever the font of common sense and good wisdom." Rictus nodded approvingly to the route straight ahead, where the Delegation had been originally aimed before splitting off. "Why split off the trail that your feet are already walking, right? I'll stick with you."

Rictus glanced about, eyes losing their mirth as he scanned the tree line and the brush.

"Not that this is much of a trail. Still, it wouldn't need a lot of work to carve out a path." Grinning, Rictus waved his hand about. "Maybe once we make peace with the dragons, we can convince them to build a road or two, eh?"

xJgFA8v.png

Layana held atop her horse as he stomped his hooves light to the soil that laid below them as she listened to the talk among the group as she found herself listening to the division being placed among the ranks in their own minor ways. Her look passed over the others rambling amongst themselves as she quirked her brow towards Liika and Duras knowing that those two were the ones who best knew her battle tactics and often knew the range of how her mind calculated courses of action as it held to war strategies constantly. With a light hearted sigh , she passed her look over them and gave a smile as she nodded in respect to the pair befor e her look trailed back to Tyrian at her side. From the corner of her eyes , she watched the dwarf wander off into the woods as she herself pinched the bridge of her nose in given thought and then spoke up lightly to Tyrian."I think we would be fine following at a distance behind her or in our own direction towards the area.. I swore I spotted some form of housing in that brush so perhaps we can look into it and that would allow for us to catch up a small bit?" She said with a glow in her gaze as it turned upon him as the necklace that held her ring and another odd object bounced against the light lift of her chest as she winked and sent her horse into a heavy gallop as she rode dangerously past Malak with a witheld smirk. Her voice lifted and called back in tease to Tyrian to loosen his mood as they did when they were children."Do try to keep up , Slow Poke." She said loud enough for him to hear but , not truly into a high pitched yell as she flickered the reins and drove her horse into the woods as she let them jump over a fallen tree and for her to keep riding on ahead as she examined the lay of land in passing.