The Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Just make sure that no one attacks while he is here. He'll be staying for the night and gone in the morning. If he knows that I am being attacked, he will try and find the attacker and pay him to kill me then send him my head." She said, signing the form. The gas they were making would help in surgeries. She hoped that it would be successful.

"Yes. I will do my best to make sure it won't happen." Jack didn't realize the ruthlessness of her brother. Now he knew that there was much conflict between the family. This only reinforced Jack's conviction to protect Isabel. Her brother would certainly be a danger, but he must not let his own judgement affect his actions. He will obey whatever she commands like a true servant. His mask was firm in this decision. Jack looked at piles of paper once more. "How is your company doing right now?" Jack wondered if her company is experiencing much stress. She had previously told him that she rejected all buyers and she only caters to the needed. Enemies would take any chance to knock her down or catch her off guard. He must think about how to approach this problem carefully. Surely he can protect he from physical harm. But the stress of maintaining a company attacked by all others must be tremendous.

"They are doing just fine right now, which makes me a bit paranoid. Currently, they're testing a gas that will act like a numbing type drug that will make our patients calm down." She said, signing a few more papers. She saw a proposal for a large company to buy hers and immediately threw it out. She sighed as she heard a bell ring in her room. Dinner was ready. She looked to Jack. "Would you mind helping me downstairs please?"

"Yes, Miladay," Jack complied. He went out of her office, realizing how fast time past. As he walked, he polished a few items and dusted a few more. When he arrived in the kitchen, Markus was already setting the food onto plates. Jack had to admit that Markus was a skilled chef. The two maids were coming in and out preparing various things and setting up the table. Jack slid his way into the rhythm of work. Mia and Lola greeted him as he handed them a few silverware. It didn't take long with the four of them to get dinner completely finished. Jack felt in his element. The task of preparing dinner was what he was used to. He thought of what will happen later. Will I meet another assassin? These thoughts filled his mind as he polished a knife, nonchalantly listening to Markus talk about an idea for a new type of sauce.

As dinner started, everyone was quiet. Isabel ate her food silently, just barely touching it. She seemed to have something on her mind as she played with her food. The two maids were whispering quietly to each other and Markus kept glancing at their lady worriedly. She was never this quiet. Even if her brother was coming, she would always at least participate in the conversations.

The silence was a strange counterpoint to the inner turmoil that seems to be boiling beneath the surface. Jack knew that Isabel's brother's arrival would entail great discomfort to everyone. He could see it in his ladies body. She seemed stiff and almost distant. He couldn't take it anymore and decided to lighten the mood. "Everyone, who is willing to have a drink with me afterwards in celebration of my employment under Lady Monroe. Certainly all of you can spare some time to humor me in this?" Jack spoke with a merry tone, trying his best to disperse the bad feelings. He looked at Isabel with a sidelong glance. For some reason he wanted to see her response. He put another bite into his mouth.

Everybody froze and looked to Isabel. She set her fork down and straightened herself. The three employees waited in batted breath before seeing her smiling just the slightest bit. "I am so sorry, Jack. I completely forgot. Here in my household, we always have a special dinner in the new employee's honor on the day they arrive." She said, the other three nodding as they remembered having their favorite dish the first night they came. "We'll have to celebrate tomorrow. I am sure my brother will not mind. He does love a bit of scotch with his dinner." She took one more bite of food before pushing her wheelchair away from the table. "The meal was marvelous, Markus." She nodded to him before rolling away to the elevator. She had only eaten a fifth of her food.

Status
Not open for further replies.