The Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Was poisoned. See, a lot of people don't like what Miss Isabel is doing." Markus said, finishing up his side and starting to put away the cleaning supplies. "She's a very talented person. She can make medicines from herbs in no time. However, she refuses to self those medicines to large companies who she feels would abuse them. Instead she sells them to small hospitals that in turn gain a lot of money from treating people with her medicines." The chef cleaned off the dishes and started cooking another chicken as there was one kept in case he did something like this. "That's all I know about it. Why they would kill such a sweet girl's father, I don't know."

"That is quite unfortunate indeed." Jack found one of the answers he was seeking. He was surprised to hear that she would be actively working at something and even deal with smaller hospitals instead of larger companies. She was unfolding in ways he could never have realized by himself. The complex web of details he accumulated was now shaping into a pattern. Jack immeidately thought of another question, "I'm sorry if I'm prying, but has our lady always has..." Jack couldn't quite find the appropriate words for such a topic, "been confined to her wheel chair?" The words seemed wrong as it left his mouth. It made her to be like a bird trapped in a cage.

"Ever since she got polio, she hasn't been able to walk. The poor girl had her legs taken away from her when she was just five years old. She's lived with it ever since." The cook said. He ran a hand through his slightly graying hair. "Our lady is a strong woman." He sighed as he started to season the chicken and cook it. That was the end of that.

"Thank you." Jack considered what he learned. Polio. To be inflicted at such an age. I wonder what it felt like grow up like that. Darker thoughts began to creep in from his own past. I was faring no better in a different kind of way. He shook a bit despite wearing his mask. His control seems to be fading ever since he stepped into this house. It bothered him. He began wandering in search of the maids. He remembered a blond one and a red one. After speaking with both of them I'll head to my own room. I have much to think about. He had no doubts or regrets. The choice was made and he did not break his own oaths.

The two maids were eavesdropping. "Oh! Jack, was it?" The blonde, Lola, asked. "W-we were just dusting the painting." She quickly started dusting a painting of Isabel's father.

"Y-yes, we were just dusting!" Mia, the red-head, said. "Madame Monroe wasn't too harsh on you, was she?" Mia winked at Jack. "Because I can easily loosen you up if you would like." She waved her feather-duster in front of him, giving him an impish smile. Lola rolled her eyes and continued to dust the painting to perfection.

Jack smiled with calculated grace. "That would be most welcome... but wouldn't you say we should first know each others names? You know me as Jack. But I haven't been properly introduced to your names." He analyzed them quickly. The red head seemed as fiery as her hair suggest. Her not so subtle attempts were quite amusing. The blond maid seemed to be at least diligent in her work as she continues to dust the painting. He would likely get along with her better. In his previous houses he would be hounded relentlessly by maids, chefs, daughters, and even a few butlers. Those were awkward times. Of course he would refuse in the most polite manner possible. He looked at the painting more closely. So this is Isabel's father. Certainly looks like a kind man. But I've seen kind men do terrible things before. The past keeps haunting him. Now more than ever. This job... what changed? Why do I keep remembering?

"Oh, I'm sorry. My name is Mia and that is Lola. We do most of the cleaning and I help our lady by making her dresses for her grand events." Mia said, flipping her red hair slightly. Lola sighed and shook her head at her friend and coworker's antics. While she could agree, the butler was hot but she felt he was better suited for someone strong. Someone like their lady.

"Nice to meet both of you, Mia. Lola," he gave a nod to each of them as he address their names. "So did you guys begin working for Lady Monroe at the same time? Or were you already working for her father before he passed away? You seem to know each other." These girls seems nice but I still need to know whether or not I can trust them.

"We used to be roommates." Lola said, turning to Jack. "I was hired by Miss Isabel first. After her favorite seamstress quit, I told her about Mia and she then hired her. We've been working for her for just under a year." She put her feather duster away on their cleaning cart.

Mia smiled. "Miss Isabel even let me design the uniforms!" She twirled around, showing off the navy maid uniform the maids were wearing. "I'm sure she'll have me make a butler's uniform for you." She smiled, eyeing him up and down.

Jack noticed the uniforms certainly had a unique flair to them. "That would be great. I'll look forward to your work if our lady does require it." He gave a wave and a smile. "I must be heading back to my room. Its been quite the day. Please take of me as we work together from now on." Jack had much to think about. He walked away and checked the time on his pocket watch. It was a silver thing. Old and well used, but maintained religiously. Jack picked up his suitcase from the front door and walked up the stairs to his room. He did not feel like using the elevator. There was too much reliance in the machine when he was just perfectly capable of walking by himself. He noted the age of the wood and design of the railings and other parts of the house as he walked. Finally he reached his room. He looked at Isabel's room and felt something. "I will be across her from now on. It is oddly comforting and frightful all at once. What does it mean to be a bodyguard, a protector?" Jack entered his room and frowned at it's state. He took out cleaning supplies from his own luggage and began cleaning and changing the room. After some time he finally got it to the way he desired. Perfect. Ordered. And utterly spotless. He smiled his mask entirely hidden away as he stared at his room. I am a butler. That part of myself will never change.

That night, when Jack was asleep, someone snuck into his room. Opening the window, the male intruder looked around for the lady of the house. Not seeing her, he tried to just slip past Jack, walking over to the door. He started to open the door when it creaked loudly. The man stopped, his frame frozen. He waited, two long tense moments for something to happen. When he found that nothing did, he continued on his way to the room across from Jack's.

The uneasy sensation overcame Jack as he slept. Then a creaking noise was heard. His eyes open slowly and his mind snapped to attention. A shadow loomed at his doorway completely still. Jack watched with his eyes cracked open, feigning sleep. Someone came into my room. He felt the breeze from his window. From the window, but what is he doing now. The stranger stood there completely still and disappeared into the hallway. Jack's body tensed. Isabel! He got out of his bed and crouching on the ground before the sheets even fluttered onto his bed. I can't alert him. This needs to be done efficiently without raising alarm. He took a few steps, testing the floor. His muscles straining with control. When he decided he attained the correct pattern, he flew across his room. No sound except the wind escaped the room as he ventured forth. The hall was now emptied but his master's door was cracked open. Jack carefully opened the door. His heart beating at a increased rhythm. I can't let this man touch my lady.

Standing over Isabel, the man tilted his head. black hair fell across his face. "Your time is up... Isabel." He said, his eyes glowing a demonic yellow. The young woman stirred before noticing the man with a knife standing near her. She screamed, trying to get away. The man grabbed her quickly and held the knife at her neck. "Wouldn't want to worry the poor servants, now would you?" The man asked, smiling. He pushed the knife into her skin, causing it to bleed somewhat. She shook, wanting to run but being physically incapable of doing so.

The moment the knife touched her delicate neck, Jack felt a strange kind of rage build within him. His mask was completely thrown as his face blurred through a myriad of emotions. It locked onto one particular one of cold calm rage. He focused this anger into his body. A body he has trained to be controlled. A body he honed to it's limits. He didn't even know he could move that fast, but he was already next to the man. The next series of motions was done as if he was performing a menial task. One pull to remove the stranger's arm away from Isabel. A twist to disarm him. Two kicks to the the knee to bring him down. And a single crack as he twisted the man's neck, showing not a single mercy.

Jack left his rage behind the moment the man's body dropped to the floor. I just killed a man, yet strangely I feel completely justified. He looked at her neck, blood trickling down. Instantly he was beside Isabel, holding her tightly. "Are you alright? Did he hurt you any other place?" He scanned her body over and over, trying to find something different, a stab wound, bruised marks, anything that the man could have inflicted while he didn't see.

Isabel shook her head as she shivered. "N-no... I'm fine..." She said, taking a deep breath. She looked down at the man, dead on her floor. This showed just how strong the man she had hired was. With any other servant, this would make her cautious and paranoid. With him, it made her feel safe. She noticed him holding her for the first time, a blush starting to flare on her cheeks. "Go back to bed... It's too dark outside for anyone to be up." She said, wanting to be alone. She always shoved others away after attacks. She started to lean away from Jack, her legs not helping her in the slightest.

Jack resisted her attempts in pushing him away. "I can't leave you alone tonight after such an attack. You're also injured." He brushed her neck with his fingers, smearing blood. He lifted her and decided to take any chastisement she can inflict. Her bathroom was large and he wondered if Mia or Lola helped wash Isabel. The thought made him blush as she was right in front of him. He quickly found what he wanted. A simple first aid kit. "I'm just going to clean and cover your cut." He dabbed some alcohol on a swab and dabbed it gently onto her neck. He knew it would sting. After properly cleaning, he wrapped bandages around firmly. Jack lifted her onto the bed once more.

"You'll need your rest for the morning. I've been fine after attacks before." Isabel said, wincing slightly at the quiver of fear in her voice. She watched him, wondering what was so different about this man that he could take down an assassin. The dead man's eyes were still wide open and staring at her. She leaned away from the yellow eyes, hating how unnatural they were.

Jack followed her gaze to the body. The yellowed eyes disturbed him. Was he on some kind of opiate? Whatever it was I can't let milady sleep in the same room as this man. "You have hired me to protect you and I have and will do so from now on. But along with that I am still your butler and servant. I must make sure your comfort and safety is fulfilled. So I will be moving you to my room and I will be sleeping on the floor to be make sure no other assassin comes tonight." His voice was filled with command and something entirely foreign to him.

"What? I can't let you do that! I have a reputation that all of my servants have comfortable sleeping quarters and good meals. Sleeping on the floor just won't do." Isabel said, the usual fire she had in her eyes starting to return. She ignored the man though he was constantly in her peripheral vision. She couldn't let something small like this affect her. What would her business partners think if they knew that the fierce Isabel Monroe was scared of one man? What would they think if they knew she had to use a wheelchair? She didn't think about it, focused on getting some type of comfortable sleeping quarters for her new butler.

"Fine! As you command I will adhere to your reputation." Without another word, he lifted her once more. Jack exited her room, making sure he closed the door on his way out. He put Isabel down like a mother putting a child to sleep with a blanket over her as a finishing touch. Jack returned to her room and pushed the body under the bed. He'll need to deal with the body tomorrow. After finishing he entered his room once more and crept into the bed. "As you can now see, I am in a comfortable bed and will be sleeping shortly. You should also sleep as you have important matters to deal with tomorrow." His tone was matter of fact and final. He turned away from her and considered his current predicament. I am... sleeping in the same bed as my master. Completely scandalous. I will need to wake up earlier and clean up this mess before the maids even awake to find this. But this is the only way I'll be sure that she is safe. The thought became comical and he chuckled. What changed for me to even have the possibility of this scenario? I certainly would never consider doing such a bold action with my previous masters. But I am still a butler and I know this means nothing. I am just protecting her.

Status
Not open for further replies.