The Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isabel watched him for a bit before turning and curling up. She didn't comment at all as she fell asleep. The breeze from the window calmed her. The next morning, she woke up to find the bed empty. She flipped over with a bit of trouble, looking around for the butler. She was couldn't get out of the bed without her wheelchair right next to her and sighed. She'd have to wait for the butler to come back.

Jack wiped his hand clean. The business from last night was properly finished. He returned to his room to see a waiting Isabel. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you were awake." She looked quite strange in his room. Her night gown was disheveled. Her hair was a mess, and the light from the window casted a strange enchantment over her. Jack realized he was staring for a bit longer longer than he intended. "Do you need me to return you to your room?"

"Yes, please. I need to be dressed. Normally I would do it myself, but Mia always scolds me for wearing her dresses wrong before fixing them for me. Also you'll need a uniform. I'll have her make one for you as soon as I can." Isabel said, moving a bit. She got to the edge of the bed by herself, waiting for him to help her. She felt embarrassed that he saw her in such a state last night.

"Yes, Milady." Jack carried her once more. This is becoming a routine. But a routine I certainly do not mind. Once again he was astonished at her weight. I don't know if I'm just strong or she is really this frail. He entered her room and it was sparkling. Not even a single trace of last night's activities. Isabel was lowered onto the bed near her wheel chair. "Do you require anything else, Milady?"

"Make sure Markus is making breakfast and not a science experiment, please." She said, moving to her wheelchair and opening her drawers. She grabbed some clothes before moving her wheelchair to the bathroom and locking the door behind her. Sighing, she started a bath, getting ready for the day ahead of her. She ran a brush through her hair before working on getting out of her nightgown and into the bath.

"Yes, Milady." Jack began to head downstairs. She seemed pretty calm about being attacked last night. I wonder if she has got accustomed to attacks. I hope not. That would be entirely too sad. Before he entered the kitchen he spotted Mia. "Good Morning, Mia. Lady Monroe has asked you to prepare a uniform for me. I hope to see what you make." He gave a small curling of his lips. "But first I need to checkup on what Markus is up to. Hopefully nothing with gasoline this time." Jack continued to the kitchen not entirely sure if he wanted to find this time in the kitchen.

"I'll need your measurements, Jack!" Mia said, sweeping the floor. In the kitchen, Markus was boiling something. It seemed to be a potion of some sort. He already had scrambled eggs and pancakes made for the servants and was working on breakfast for his mistress. The pot of yellow goop bubbled and popped, some of it spilling on the stove. It sizzled, baking into a small chip as it touched the hot metal.

"Okay Mia, I'll let you get my measurements later." Jack quickly stammered as he went towards Markus. "What exactly... are you making, Markus. It looks... unique." Jack didn't know what to make of the liquid in the pot. Certainly it did not smell familiar. The color was odd and seemed like curry his old master liked immensely, but certainly this was not spiced in any ordinary way. "Is it finished enough for me to taste it." Jack didn't particularly want to put any of that yellow goop in his mouth, but certainly if he didn't want to, Isabel would never. Jack gulped slightly awaiting Markus's reply. I probably just chose to kill myself today. A poison tester. Certainly the times have not changed.

"Sure! Go ahead! It's my new crepe soup!" He said, smiling. He scooped a large spoonful of the goop and held it out to Jack. "It's got the same taste as a crepe but without all of the chewing!" A few chunks of fruit were still floating around in the soup as he held out the spoon. It looked a bit disgusting to anyone other than Markus.

Jack took the spoonful with regret. He carefully put the spoon in his mouth, treating it like hot coals. The viscous liquid slid down his tongue and fruit chunk settled in. There was no comparison. Jack didn't know whether to spit it out or swallow the concoction. He was certainly glad he didn't drop dead. His mask allowed him to show no reaction. He saw Markus's eyes. They were shining, waiting for Jack's response. With one gulp he down the rest of it. Jack had to choose whether to lie or be direct. He decided. A butler must always serve his master the best way he can. "I'm sorry Markus, but your soup although quite interesting isn't quite ready for the mistress. Do you mind if I prepare something for her, while you continue tinkering on it. Perhaps..." Jack didn't know what to advise this veteran chef. "you can try something more traditional and only modify it a little bit and change more when the mistress likes the changes." Jack done what he could, but there was no stopping a man and his creations.

Markus sighed. "I thought so. I'll keep trying though. The mistress prefers a lot of fruit with her breakfast. Her favorite is strawberry." He said, going back to the soup and working on it. He got quite bored with most foods so this was a challenge that entertained him, yet made him cringe at times. The ingredients for what was suppose to be breakfast were laid out on the counter.

Jack decided to make a normal strawberry crepe since all the ingredients was already out. He began heating up a pan beside Markus. With deft hands, he poured the crepe mixture into it. When the moment was right he folded the crepe onto a plate. He used creme and strawberries and a bit of powdered sugar. He finished with a delicate dose of chocolate. It looked completely normal in comparison to the soup. He looked at Markus and his soup. "Markus, if you ever need a taste tester I'll be glad to try anything you can create." His lips curled slightly. Jack left the finished product next to the rest of the meals. "I'm going to head to Mia to get my uniform sorted out. Good luck, Markus."

"Alright. Would you tell the Madame and the others that breakfast is ready?" He asked, grabbing the crepe and putting a few other fruits on the side. Mia was cleaning out a few of the rooms with Lola. The two were talking about a letter that came in the mail that morning and who it could be from. They giggled, imagining their lady having a secret lover.

"Hello ladies," Jack greeted with a smile. "I can't help but overhear you have a letter for our mistress. Lola can you tell our mistress breakfast is ready and give her the letter. Mia I'm ready for that measurement. Then we can all eat some breakfast." Jack wondered what the letter contained. Could it be something important. I'll ask the Isabel later.

Lola nodded. "Alright. Don't grope him too much, Mia." She said before taking the letter and going up to Isabel's office. Mia smiled and grabbed Jack's hand, dragging him to her room. It was covered in cloths and designs. She quickly grabbed a tape measure and turned around.

"Now if you could take off your clothes... leave your underwear on. I need to get as accurate of measurements as I can so it will fit perfectly." Mia said, grabbing designs and different cloths.

"If you say so..." Jack wasn't quite sure her intentions were entirely pure, but if she does anything, he'll just have to outmaneuver her. He carefully took off his personal uniform, piece by piece. He noted Mia's gaze. Certainly she was enjoying this a bit too much. "Just do your job and take the measurements quickly. I'm not a piece of meat undressing for your pleasure." He grinned as if he wanted her to know that she'll never even get close enough to him.

Mia laughed. "Don't worry, I won't do anything bad." She took the measurements quickly before writing them down. "Alright you can put your clothes back on. The uniform's going to be some kind of blue. That's Miss Isabel's favorite color so all of her servants have to wear some kind of blue. Let's see what would work best for you." She said, grabbing different pieces of blue cloth and holding them to his skin.

Jack was surprised at her proficiency and professionalism. She must really take her tailoring seriously. He began putting his clothes on. "Have you even considered being a dress maker or a tailor?" Her eyes seems to be burning with creative flair as she considered several cloths. Isabel, you certainly found interesting staff. A man who desires to create challenging dishes. A woman who has a talent in clothes making. He examined the room further. It was filled with clothes, bolts of cloth, different design patterns. Jack wondered if Lola had some creative talent. Certainly she seemed like a capable maid.

"I have. I like making dresses for Miss Isabel too much though. She is one of my best models." Mia said, deciding on a slightly darker shade of blue than the navy of the maids. "I think that this would look marvelous on you. I'll have it made for you in a weeks time." She smiled before ushering him out of the room so she could continue working.

Jack wondered if Mia remembers that there was breakfast. He decided against reminding her. "She can come in her own time. It is probably a bad idea to interrupt her." He went to the dining room to see if everyone is gathered. The room seemed to be meant for a much larger group than just his mistress and her staff. What happened to Isabel's family? He had heard about her father, but what of her mother. Does she have any siblings? There is still so much to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.