The Butcher's Apprentice

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy. Aurora was the queen of veiled statements. He could never be sure what was going to come out of her questioning, but he knew the only way to navigate safely was to answer truthfully, but not offer any extra information than what was asked, until he figured out the direction of her questioning. So a quiet, polite, "Si, I did..." was all he answered, remaining standing before her.

Cesare sat down and instructed Vanni to do the same. <Someone and his friend had a bit too much fun celebrating last night,> he smirked. He gave Aurora a knowing look, continuing to allow his brother to fret silently.

Vanni sat down, looking chagrined. He nodded carefully, glancing up at his cousin before shifting his attention to Isabella.

Aurora let out a soft purr. <Oh, he did, did he? You're lucky Isabella is in a good mood today, Giovanni. She got all of her screaming and crying out at home before we left.> she laughed softly. <You know, I spoke with the Zaitsev's butcher yesterday. He had interesting things to tell me about you...> It was fun making someone squirm. It was fun making family squirm when something happy would come of it later. She just couldn't help herself!

Vanni's ears perked forward a bit. "What exactly did he say?" At first he was a bit more excited, but then worried about the second body they'd sent to him. Would Pyotr have seen it yet? What would he say after giving them such a stern warning about taking life? They thought this was justified, but would Pyotr see it that way? Vanni's ears twisted as he thought about what Aurora would say next.

<Many things.> She sipped her drink and put it back down. <Giovanni, I'm proud of you.> she said, looking up at him. <Cesare told me what happened last night as well. But I'd like for you to tell me what happened. Both with the butcher and at Anne's Place.>

Vanni let out a huge breath of relief when she said that, and finally relaxed, smiling cautiously. He started out nervously, but then got a little more confident as he recounted the events of the previous day, looking over his bruised and cut knuckles as he remembered the guy in the basement. He finished with cleaning up in Dimitri's office and heading out to celebrate. <Things, eh, got pretty hazy after that,> he concluded a bit sheepishly.

Cesare listened quietly, an eyebrow quirked as his youngest brother recounted the elaborate beating. The body at Pyotr's wasn't too much of a surprise, as he'd noticed Vanni's rampant interest in science developing since he began going to Kacey for tutoring. He wondered if it had been there all along, and only now had a real focus and opportunity to emerge. But, seeing him put that knowledge to such a brutal use, he couldn't help but be impressed. And very proud. He did smirk at the ending, though. <I could fill in part of that if you want,> he teased him.

Aurora, who had listened intently to Vanni's recounting, turned to smirk at Cesare. <You can fill me in on that later. Right now, I can see in him all of the signs of a night well spent.> she laughed softly. <This does bring us right to the business at hand, though. Cesare and I have been talking about your new-found interest and skill, and wanted to know exactly what you would like to do with it.>

<Well, I decided that I really like the idea of causing the injuries I saw. I study biology and I've learned anatomy and such. It really is fascinating, but I don't know. I mean, kind of like what you used to do, Cesare. I want to make those wounds. It sounds really bad, but last night, I kind of detached myself from it. In my mind, he wasn't alive anymore. I never even knew his name. He was just a body to prepare for the slab. I don't know if I could do it if I knew more about them, like their names and such. I don't know...> Vanni rubbed his knuckles thoughtfully as he spoke, not sure what to do with all of this. It was a bit disturbed in his mind, thinking of himself as a killer. He rubbed his face, suddenly longing for the numb feeling he'd had last night.

Cesare held up his hand to stop him, knowing the look on his brother's face. <I think, if you're going to go in that direction, you need to know more about the business, and about what's at stake. It's not just going out and doing away with everyone that gets on the wrong side of you. It takes a lot of mental and emotional control,> he cautioned him. Cesare wasn't trying to discourage him, more importantly, he wanted him to know exactly what he was asking for. He didn't want to see his brother dive into something over his head and wind up as a drunk, or worse.

Vanni nodded, understanding. <I, yeah, I can see why. Well, what do you think? Should I? I mean, the feeling, it was...really powerful. Almost scary powerful. And I...really enjoyed it... It kind of sounds sick, but I really did. And Ivan did too, but I think he enjoyed it in a different way. We mostly were discussing it when we were drunk, so I don't really remember what he said, but I remember it was a different idea.>

<You both come from powerful families who deal with such things on a near daily basis.> She pursed her lips as she thought, turning to Cesare after a moment. <Maybe it might be best to start him out....not with us?> She looked over at Giovanni. <Maybe the way Dimitri is doing it is the right way to go?> She tilt her head. <What do you think? You're still in your teens. I don't want to risk putting you up against adults and, well...I know you're a very strong fighter, Vanni, you've proved that countless times, but never against grown men. I would love to have you working for Cesare and I, but I don't want to throw you in over your head...Plus, I've been keeping an eye on Dimitri's business.> She turned back to Cesare. <What do you think? I don't want to be going too soft on him. Giovanni, you have proven to several people that you aren't a child anymore, and I want you to know that I absolutely see that. But...> she sighed, trying to think of a way to better word it. She sighed and shrugged. <You are 15...>

<Hm. Dimitri is good, and the young men at his level would be good for practical work, but he lacks the control I prefer to see in our business, if you can understand what I mean. As much as I respect Nikolai and Dimitri both, they don't have the history and breeding that we do. Both their businesses are self-made, and they learned the business themselves, while we were raised in it...> He spoke directly to Aurora now. <I think, for now, we can allow him to watch us work, and practice with Dimitri. We can teach Vanni the control he needs, and we expect.>

Vanni thought about this. Cesare made a good point, and he did believe that his brother better understood the way he thought than Dimitri or even Ivan. Ivan accepted it, but didn't usually bring much conversation back to his theorising. <I think I'd like that,> he said, agreeing with his brother. <I mean, Dimitri takes out his stress by going to the fight club. I know we argue and things, but I don't see you get stressed like that. I don't want to be just some thug, I'd like to be smarter about it, like you. I respect Dimitri, but I admire you,> he told his brother and cousin.

Cesare smiled and clapped his brother on the shoulder proudly.

Aurora purred softly. <Well, thank you, Vanni.> she pulled her daughter out of the high chair and held her in her lap. <We should celebrate. Probably without drinking.> She smirked at Giovanni. <No doubt, you've done enough of that for a while anyway. How about a nice, big, family dinner tonight?>

Vanni blushed a bit. <Where? At home, or out?>

<I'm going to get him fitted for some suits after this. He should start dressing the part,> Cesare informed Aurora. He turned to Vanni, taking one of his paws to examine the wounds. <We should get you some gloves as well.>

Vanni grinned. <I was hoping you'd get me some. I don't want to have beat-up paws. I have an image to maintain!> he joked.

Cesare laughed and ruffled his hair.

<I feel like cooking. And not worrying about Isabella at a fancy restaurant. I recently found out my mother is the one that bought the old mansion. She's living there with William.> She said, having no problem thinking of her mother with the man who was most recently her driver and butler. <I'm sure they'd love the reason to have a nice, big family dinner. Everyone together in the same place again...I bet I can even get the twins to show up.>

Vanni smiled. <That'll be nice. I like seeing Zia, and so will Caprice. Have you been back there, since you found out? I wonder what it looks like now...> he wondered.

Cesare smiled and moved to get up. <Well, if we're going to get those suits fitted, we'd better get on our way. We'll see you tonight, Aurora.> He stood and kissed her on the cheek, and Isabella on the forehead.

Vanni followed his brother's lead and got up, kissing his cousins as well. <Thank you, Aurora,> he said again, before the two brothers headed back out to the car.

<I have, yes. She watches Toby and Isabella for us sometimes.> She smiled and returned the kisses. Isabella just giggled and rubbed her forehead, then made drooly lip-smackey kissey noises and said 'bye' happily. Aurora purred and bounced her daughter gently, looking up. <Lets try for 7?> she suggested, starting to gather up her things. <I'll see you two then. Take care.>

<Si, for seven. Ciao,> Cesare agreed, and headed out to the car with his brother. They had a lot to do before then.

After a day of suit-fitting, accessory shopping, weapon shopping, and mercifully, a well-deserved nap for Giovanni, the Bonaduces arrived at the old mansion, complete with Rosa at Cesare's side. Caprice was wearing a fashionable dress, and had gotten Rosa to do up her hair with a flowery fascinator. The brothers were in matching suits, of which Giovanni looked immensely proud to wear. It had been a very good day of brotherly bonding. Caprice hurried ahead and rang the doorbell, giggling and finding it very funny to ring the bell at the door of a house she used to live in.

Aurora and her family had shown up around 5 and her and Rosalie started the nice, huge Italian meal while the men relaxed wherever they decided to relax, threatened with bodily harm if they entered the kitchen. Isabella was with her brother Toby, who was perfectly fine sitting in the living room and listening to the men talk about whatever the hell they were talking about.

William looked up when the doorbell rang at 7 and stood up. "Well, I guess the rest of the family is here!" he said happily, moving to get the door. He opened it up and smiled, stepping aside to let them in. "We figured it was you!"

Toby grinned up at his dad from where he sat on the floor, his baby sister in his lap. "Thank god. I'm starving!"

Anthony looked down at his son and smiled, standing from the chair he was sitting in and offered the child his hand. "Me too." He said, realizing that he would need to grab his daughter before his son could take the offered hand. He knelt down and scooped her up, kissing her nose softly as he held her to his chest, then stood and took Toby's hand. He looked up at the door and gave a polite smile, intent on being on his best behavior. He and Cesare hadn't gotten along in the past and it had been some time since the two had been in the same room. With any luck they could avoid any bloodshed. He glanced back at his son and gave him a smile. "You're going to remember to kick me if I say anything stupid, right son?" He said, joking around.

Caprice squealed and hugged William excitedly. She was bubbling over as she hurried to the kitchen to Aurora and Zia Rosalie, wanting to help, or at least say hello.

Vanni chuckled at his sister and greeted William with a happy handshake. "Good evening, William!" He was almost as excited as his sister, but he kept himself in check. "Is everyone else here already?"

Cesare also stepped in and shook the older cat's paw. "William, it's been a while, si? How've you been?"

William hugged Caprice back and turned to shake Vanni's hand. "Look at you! You look just like your brother!" he praised, grinning down at the boy. "We're waiting for the twins, but we also aren't sure if they are coming or not." he said, ushering the boy in before turning to Cesare. "I've been wonderful, Cesare! Just wonderful. How about yourself?" he asked, letting Cesare in and closing the door behind him.

Aurora turned around and purred, hugging Caprice. She put her right to work with something she knew the girl could help with.

Rosalie hugged the girl as well, kissing her on the forehead. "How are you today, Caprice?" she asked, all of her attention on the girl now. Well, and whatever she was cooking.

"Mhm." Toby said with a smile. "Just like mom told me to. You should put Isa down." he said, before screwing up his face as his arm twitched. He rubbed it with a soft sigh. "We were playing."

Isabella bounced herself in her dad's arms, kicking her feet a little and drooling. She was big enough now that she was crawling around on her own and starting to pull herself up into a standing position using various items of furniture and her brother, whenever he made himself available. At the moment, she didn't really care if she was being held or on the floor. Interesting things were happening and her dad was holding her. She was a happy baby.

Anthony smiled and tickled Isabella's stomach gently before looking down at Toby. "I know you were, but it's time to go say hello to everyone. You two can play again after dinner, alright?" He said as he hefted Isa up a bit higher so she was more comfortable in his arms. "Come on, lets go make ourselves seem like we're sociable." He said, starting to head over towards the group making introductions by the doorway, patiently waiting to show off his little princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.