Teen Dress Shop

HAving retreated to the back storage room to get away from the twin teen divas that were so alike, they despised one another equally, Adrian finally tumbled back out after a while only to find that even more people had entered the store. He doubted that the boss lady had noticed his absence, but even if she had, he came bearing more dresses to stave off any annoyance. Besides, he'd been on time today! Plus, it looked like the weirdass new hire had run off again. He was probably going to be fired soon, not that it was any of Adrian's business.

Glancing around the shop, Adrian wasn't even sure who needed help or who he should try to ply with dresses. The closer it got to prom, he thought with a sigh, the crazier the shop got. Lit up like a jar of fireflies. Maybe if the fireflies were snorting cocaine... He smiled brightly to everyone he saw and gestured at the dresses he had draped over his arms.

"This would look lovely on you!" he motioned to one of them. Spotting another uncertain looking girl, he selected a dress from his arm. "This would go beautifully with your coloring!" He was really hoping Candace would remember to pay them some nice commission after this. "What about this dress? It's such an eye-popping color!"

Adrian nearly stumbled over a girl looking through the clearance racks. After selecting another dress from his pile, he held it out to her proudly. "This would look pretty on you, I'd wager!" She had dark hair, pale skin.... it would be pretty, he thought. If she liked it. Girls could be so picky.

Saturn was bored. He was texting Azure that the date was off. What was he thinking, the hell-spawn would rip his heart out. *Hey Azure. Nothing against you, but I can't go to the dance with you...*. He was still prepared to go with a human... Too bad that Preston Starr was such an attention grabber. He chuckled when Adrian stumbled back in. "Where the hell were you, I was wondering if you could uh... set someone up with me for the dance..." Adrian was just so much more outgoing.

Candace returned the girl's smile, dropping the extra cash in to the large donation jar sitting next to the cash register. The charity was her favorite, a fund for battered and abused women. The girl might have given away more than her parents would have liked, but Candace was never one to turn up an opportunity to give to the charity.

Speaking of charity, Candace grinned at Drew as his eyes scanned the room. His strange habit of buying a stranger a dress for prom each year was an interesting quirk. On most people it would have strayed dangerously in to creeper territory, but Candace knew Drew just enjoyed seeing people's eyes light up. She suspected he was also the Mall's Santa every year, but she had yet to prove it. For the time being, she enjoyed calling him every teenage girl's sugar daddy.

"Oh no, I have nothing to do with picky your lucky waifs, Big Papa. I just provide the dresses." Her grin vanished when she spotted Saturn texting and screwing around instead of helping out her full shop of customers. He wasn't going to make it past lunch, which meant she was going to have to hire a new employee. Handsome young men that enjoyed working in dress shops weren't exactly easy to find.

Candace shook her head and returned to the conversation. "What sort of blue did you have in mind? Midnight, navy, cerulean, turquoise, sky... Long skirt, short skirt, sleeves, straps, sparkles, sequins, beads..? I have quite a few in the back that we weren't able to fit on the racks."

When Saturn seen Ms. Candace' glare, he put his phone back into his pocket and approached a pile of flyers he was supposed to put up in the mall. He exited the shop and began posting them on every store front, and handing them out to other teenagers his age. "This is going to be a long-ass day."

"Midnight blue, I think. It's her favorite color. Last year we went with basic black but this year I'd like to go all out." Drew let his blue eyes wander over the crowd. Waif picking. He couldn't keep the smile from his lips as he debated. The dark haired stylish girl was definitely his pick, especially since she'd gone straight to the discount racks and had been making faces the entire time. Poor girl. Now she had vanished from his sight, which might be for the best. He probably did come off as a creep. "Adrian is still here? I'm surprised he's not gone of to... college? Or something." He watched the hustle and bustle of the shop.

"Something midnight blue, something that doesn't scream prom dress, and something that can be worn elsewhere while no one has a clue that she wore it to prom." He rolled his eyes. "She has a list, doesn't she?" He noticed that Candace's eyes were rather firmly trained on the ... strange young man before he escaped out the door with a handful of fliers. Drew doubted the boy would even come back.

"I suppose I should browse, or do you think I'll terrify your customers? I'll gladly wait until later, if you'd like." Be brave Drew! Brave! "I..." Bravery Quickly deflating and just the barest tinge of pink. "Do you think the shop will be less busy this evening? And if you'd like, assuming your newest employee doesn't come back, I bet I could get Elijah down here to help. He's done some retail before and not just at my book shop."

Now Drew just hoped the boy would be gone so he could drag Elijah down here... Just for a chance of seeing Candace after hours. Maybe he should have read that book about how to start dating again. Maybe he should ask Beatrice? Drew was quickly thinking that perhaps he should just toss himself into the bay.

(TIME SKIIIPPPPING!)

It was late in the evening. An hour or so before the shop's closing time.

Candace made sure all her employees were wrapped up and leaving for the evening. She was the last employee in the store, and now that it was late, there weren't any customers left. An hour early even. It might have been because she intended to give Mister Drew private attention. She also meant it be just as dirty as it sounded, though in reality Candace probably wouldn't be pulling the man in to the back room and ripping all his clothes off like she so imagined doing.

While she waited, she had several dresses draped over an arm as she moved around the colorful store putting garments back on the racks where they belonged. Out in the mall, there were still people milling about. Casually browsing shops and walking the food court for the last minutes of the day.

So like, what if I had a small ice cream cone after my little fit at the store? Okay so like, security came in and took me out of the store. So what if my Daddy was called and he had to like, lecture me. Not like he said much. He was like, "Roxy you shouldn't throw a fit at the store."

And I was like, "Daddy, they didn't have my dress okay? I think I have every right to throw a fit."

And he was like, "Roxy, we've talked about this before. No more trantrums."

And I was like, "Sigh... Yes Daddy."

That was it. Like, oh mah gawd that was soooo harsh.

Pffft,not.

So yeah... I'm sitting here all alone in the food court sulking because the stupid sales associates never got me my dress. That was the loudest fit I've ever had. Ever. And they still didn't help me out. Talk about bad customer service. But like... I feel like I'm totally forgetting something. What am I forgetting?

Oh my god. I left that cute popstar all alone in the dressing rooms of that stupid store. Oh my god, I should probably like, check up on him.

Lets see... Oh there's the store owner. She's kinda packing on the pounds isn't she? Oh I hope I don't look that fat. Gawd. I'd rather kill myself before I look like that cow.

I give her my brightest smile as I pass her, grabbing one of the dresses off of the rack. And then I like, run to the dressing room and find the guy.

"Preston," I hiss as I like, move around. "Preston are you still in here?"

I open the dressing room I think he was in and I think I hear this loud thud. I think I might've opened the door too hard and the door handle, like, hit the wall. Or maybe I hit the guy's head? I dunno, but I hope he's not like... You know, dead.

That would sooooo totally not be cool.

[DASH=#FF6EC7]"OH MY GAWDS! YOU'RE LIKE A TOTAL LEZZIE!" April shrieked! She had come back to come chat up Darren a bit more and maybe surprise him with some dinner tonight instead, of course if he was free. She headed into the store just after Roxy, ignoring the bloated manatee behind the counter and ended up spotting Roxy breaking into a dressing room where, like it was totes possible that she was trying to like, sneak a peek at some poor girl's bing-bong!

"TOES A PERVERT! OH MY GAAAAAWWWWWWWWWDS!" April shrieked again and whirled around and ran giggling out of the store, back into the mall proper, heading towards the food court cackling and texting like EVERYONE so, like, the whole school knew that Roxy was a lezzie perv and that she was like totally going to like, creep on all the girls at prom! Not that there was anything wrong with being a lezzie but like, you couldn't have one as prom queen and trying to like, look up all the other girl's dresses and all that. That's totes uncool for royalty. Satisfied with her little sabotage plan she scooted over to the smoothie store and waited, hoping Darren would like, text her already!
[/dash]

The door next to the one Roxy had opened creaked inwards and the now not so perfectly brushed head of Drake inched out visibly flinching at the aftereffects of April's voice.

"Hey, I'm here." he said sounding bored but otherwise unbothered by his tenure in the changing room. His right hand was in his pocket and even though it was more awkward he closed the door with his left and tilted his head to the side when he turned to Roxy.

"So I've been thinking..." he began not giving her a chance to speak. "I should get new clothes before we head out so if you know any pace here... You could help me pick something out? Then maybe we could get something to eat."

It didn't occur to him that he had just asked a fangirl on what could be considered a date , he really did want new clothes, over he wouldn't be recognized to easily in, and he was hungry.

THAT FUCKING SKANK! I AM SOOO GONNA RUIN HER!!!

You know what, I am gonna tell the whole school and the rest of town that she was the one spying on me, because like, why the hell was she in the dressing room in the first place huh? She was already here earlier and it's been like, forever since then, so she should have like, picked out a dress already! You know what, she's the lezzie because she knew that I was gonna come back in here because I never found my perfect dress and she probably remembers how hot and pretty I look with my pretty blue eyes and my gorgeous locks, and my oh so tempting cleavage! Yeah that's right, that bitch totally has the hots for me, and you know what, I'm gonna text everyone I know and be like,

"NO APRIL IS DA FUCKING SLUT BECUZ SHE KNEW I WAZ IN DA DRESSING ROOM AND SHE TOTALLY PEEKED AT MAH BA DONG DONG! AND LIKE -"

Oh my god Preston Star is so hot... He just like... Makes me tingle all over... Especially down there.

So what if I'm staring at him?! He's eye candy okay? The perfect eye candy. He just makes me drool oh so much.

"Oh um...New clothes?" I snap out of it really quick, because it doesn't look good to be drooling over him. My eyes get all bright as I look him over. "Oh wait, you probably still have those mean old security guys after you right? I know! You need a disguise!"

I hold up the bright yellow dress I picked out earlier.

style_sc529-de.jpg

"This would totally disguise you!! Oh oh oh, and my bag has a TON of make up in it! I could give you a total make over and no one would recognize you!!!"

He had to step back. "That?" his mouth moved without making a sound "I was just thinking about a hoodie or something..."

He looked around the shop, nope no hoodies, just the woman behind the counter, out the shopfront there were guard posted on corners, they might look like mall security but he recognized their faces. "You're sure this will work?"

Great he was agreeing to let a girl dress him in a prom dress and make up to sneak out of a mall... I mean look at her shes probably one of those girls into guy on guy... He looked at the cut of the dress and groaned further stripping off his shirt and spread his arms. "Lets get this over with."

Sam sat in the food court with a chocolate milkshake and a generous order of fries, using the cold treat as a dip. She had her feet propped up on the seat next to her, her sketchbook in her lap and her earbuds in her ears. The screen of her iPod showed the cover of some emo band, but she knew the exact name, year and singer of the song that was really playing. She had long ago memorized the code by which she disguised every track of music she owned. Currently, it was Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag, one of her favorites.

Sam had spent the afternoon in and out of shops around the mall, picking up accessories and notions that she didn't already have at him in order to create her outfit, and now she was continuing to refine the design and detail the changes she wanted to make while she waited for Darren. He said he'd meet her here after he got off of work, presumably before he went out to dinner with April. Her mouth involuntarily twitched with a sneer when she thought about that. Who knew what that airhead was going to try to do to him, or with him. There were oh so many reasons why she thought it was a bad idea. Hopefully, she could convince him not to put himself through that misery.

"Oh my goodness, you would totally pull the look off. You could be like... A female Preston Star."

I can't help but gush at the thought of dressing him up. I get him into the dress quick like and once he's in it, I sit him down, dig into my Prada bag and get ready. I pull out Lancome, Mac, Sephora - I have an entire make up store in my purse okay? It's just... It's a girl thing okay?

And I start prepping his face - he has such gorgeous skin - with a face primer, and then I put on concealer over his dark circles and this ugly blemish on his cheek, then I smother him with foundation. I love foundation. Foundation is a girl's best friend okay? You can never go anywhere without foundation. Then, I put on some eyeliner, curl his lashes, put some yellow eyeshadow on his lids, and then I curl his lashes, put some fake ones on, and then pencil in his eyebrows.

What color do works for his lips? I don't think a bright red would work... Um, maybe not a coral color.... HOW ABOUT PINK?!

I blot his pink lips with a tissue paper to remove the excess lipstick.

"All done! And it took no more than five minutes!" I give him the biggest grin in my life. "We're ready to go out now!"

Happy to be away from the madness that was spoiled prom queen wannabes, Adrian was more than happy to let Candace take over the store and close it. Hell, he high-tailed it out of there as fast as he could possibly go while still clocking out. He caught sight of the drama queens heading back to the store in his flight, considered warning Candace, and then decided that she could definitely handle it herself. This had to be why polygamy was against the law - suicide rates must have been through the roof.

With the other stores in the mall closing down as well, Adrian had time to stop by the smoothie bar in the mall before they closed, to get some of his current addiction. Raspberry acai power blend. Delicious. He sipped it contentedly as he made his way to the mall parking lot. He was feeling around his pockets for his keys when he realized that he must have left them in the back room of the dress shop. Cursing himself and his absent-minded escape, he made his way with heavy steps and a heavier heart back to the store.

Entering the shop once more, Adrian was met with the howls of teen girls once more and he wished that he had died already, rather than come back here. If he weren't afraid of his car being towed, he might have seriously considered walking home.

"It's just me, Candace. I forgot my keys in the back..." he sighed.

He needed to see a mirror. And there were plenty around the shop. Blinking into the reflective surface he lifted his hand to his face. Was that really him. Sure the 'girl' in the mirror had short hair and his build but it really did look like a girl.

He blamed the tight as hell waist. Going 'out' with a girl dressed as a girl.. people were going to talk weren't they, shit at least no one would know it was him or it would be front-page tabloid news.

"Alright.. Roxy... is it?"

he felt uncomfortable talking to someone like this. It was weird knowing he looked like a girl and sounded, he hoped, like a guy, he looked in the mirror again and stared.

"Lets get out of here... If anyone asks who I am... Just make up a name."

Hmm, maybe I should like, give him shoes that match? But the dress should hide his shoes right? Right?

"Okay! Lets get out of here!" I pause for a second, pressing a finger to my lips. "Um like... Where are we going again?"

So what if I'm a bit absent minded?

"Oh wait that's right! You wanted to like, get out of here right?"

I grab his wrist and drag him out of the store all excited. It's like a cop chase but in the mall! Oh mi gawd! This would be something to tell like, the school newspaper. No wait this is sooo much bigger than the school newspaper! I should tell the town paper or something. They'd pay me a fortune right? But they wouldn't believe me unless I had a picture or something.

I stop him in the middle of the dress store and snap his picture real quick. Then I take his wrist again and get the hell out.

"Now make sure you sway your hips and stuff as you're walking," I whisper to him as we're walking down the mall. "Otherwise they're totally gonna know you're a guy."