Swords and Flowers

"When we make it over the nation's border...then the king won't be able to do anything to us. It's going to be a few more days of walking until we get there." He sighed, knowing how she must be feeling, having to leave her home and everything she knew.

She wasn't liking it, but she'd do it for her family. She was getting tired of travel.

"I know it's a long way away," Stijn said, placing his arms around her. "I'm sorry."

Returning her smile, Stijn nuzzled the crook of her neck gently, inhaling her scent lovingly.

"It will be okay," he murmured softly, smiling gently.

Pulling away from her, he said, "I promise, as soon as we settle down somewhere, I will buy you the most beautiful jewels to wear around your neck, we will live in a grand house, and Robynne will have everything she wants." He smiled as he imagined Robynne growing up into a young lady, having her playing around the house, and so many other things, wishing that the three of them were somewhere safe and happy.

Kieara smiled. "I don't want fancy jewels, I just want a decent home for our daughter and a happy life."

"And you'll have all that and more," he said, smiling. "You deserve as much."

Kieara smiled, then Robynne woke up and began crying.

Hearing her cries, Stijn went to her, picking her up into his arms as he tried to comfort her.

"Okay, okay," Stijn said, resting her on the bed before finding her a change and a cloth to clean her up with.

Kieara laughed a little and came to help witht he squirming infant.

After changing Robynne, Stijn picked her up, gently rocking her.

Smiling down at her, he asked Kieara, "Do you want to hold her?"