String of Many Colors

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Wow, it's that bad, huh." Reece said with a laugh. A big headed and big armed child...Involuntarily Reece looked down at his arms, relaxing them at his side to see how long his arms really were. He concluded that they were average size for a guy, at least he thought, well he didn't exactly know how long a guy's arms were supposed to be, but he thought he was pretty average. Yeah. "Else, do I have a big head?" he asked, partly serious, partly joking. But he wasn't really sure if his head was average size either, well he thought it was, but who really knew?

"No it's not bad, maybe the boy just wanted to fit in or wanted a friend like him." Else said with a shrug and a half smile. When he asked about his head she chuckled. "No, you do not have a big head, in fact it is either average or slightly smaller than average I think."

"Alright, good," Reece replied, having thought she was referring to him with this child metaphor. "You want to paint something else?" (Hehe I had to!) He paused and thought about his words a moment. "Or, I mean we don't have to, just...if--if you wanted to, or we could go back." Reece stumbled, then looked again at her pretty picture on the wall, all perfect. It would be a shame when they painted over it.

She laughed softly and shook her head. "It's fine, but I think I've done enough painting for today, at least I actually got something done." Else said with a slight smile. She was proud of herself for facing her fears and actually painting.

"What d'you wanna do next?" Reece asked, eagerly. The sun was up and he was ready for something exciting to happen, even though he was still in pain. Mostly, he just wanted a new distraction and one with her seemed pretty great. He also wasn't too ready to face the other guys and especially Alec. There was no easy or good way to explain what had happened even if he could tell the truth. And he didn't have any lies prepared yet.

Else shrugged. "I thought I would just go back to the dorm, but I guess we could do something else. I don't know this place very well though so you would have to pick out the place." She explained, itching her nose and in the process getting a small bit of blue paint from her hand on her nose.

Reece smiled and found a paper towel, then softly dabbed the pain off her nose until it was clean. "You might want to wash your hands," he pointed out, leading her to the bathroom as he thought of all the places they could go and the one he wanted to do most that was also most convenient for not hurting his back any more than it already was.

She blushed slightly from embarrassment. "Oops, I used to have paint all over myself all the time. My parents would always say they couldn't have anyone over because I was a mess all the time." Else said with a laugh. "I guess I should have known that I had some paint on me." When they reached the bathroom she slipped into the women's and washed her hands quickly before stepping back out. "Have you thought of things to do?"

"Well, I should take it easy on my back, so we could just walk around the town or see a movie," Reece offered, unhappy that he was limited. There was a lot of weird shops and such on the main street of the town and Reece was very familiar with it, but Else wasn't.

Else shrugged. "It's up to you. Does walking hurt a lot? Because we could just go see a movie or find some place to sit if that is easier on you." She told him, giving him a smile. "Your back should heal within two weeks, that's about how long it took me to get better."

Faina spent almost the entire weekend working on the dress, and for the next two weeks every moment that wasn't spent studying, eating, or sleeping was spent on the dress. In addition, she slept less, and her sleeping became noticeably more fitful, one night she'd even awoke lying on the floor of the room on her yoga mat even though she'd gone to sleep in her bed...on the top bunk. Which was weird, since she hadn't remembered sleepwalking since she was much much younger. Still, despite this she finished the dress and was proud of her work.

----------

Reece's wounds had healed in the two weeks and only left discoloration behind that he could ignore, just like Else said. They'd been hanging out, which he was beginning to have to hide from the guys, since it wasn't really that cool to be with a freshman all the time, even if she was his girlfriend, which wasn't the case. Gathering up his gear he needed a breath of fresh air out to the park for some fun with his slacklining.

Else opened her eyes and stared at the bottom of her roomate's bed. It had been a struggle all week to get out of bed, she had been having dreams of her late husband. She sighed and turned over on her side, hugging her pillow to her chest.

"Do you have anything planned for today?" She asked Fiana when she saw that her roommate was awake.

Faina had done her yoga for the morning, and after her "Namaste" to finish hadn't felt like getting up off the mat. When Else talked she startled, turning over to see she was awake.
"I need some books from the library...but I don't want to go, and have to see Alec," she replied with a gentle sigh. Faina hadn't stepped foot in the library since she last stormed out of Alec's room and she wasn't eager to go.

"I could get them for you." Else suggested, knowing that if she had a task she would be able to get up. She was able to do things for other people, but not herself.

"Just give me a list of the books and I can try to find them for you. Maybe we could have lunch later too." Else said, biting her lip. Fiana might not realize it, but she was keeping Else alive when she did things with her or dragged her places.

"Thanks, that would be really great," Faina answered, getting up to find a paper pad and pen. She wrote down the names and authors for Else, feeling a little guilty for not doing it herself, but still it would be awkward and difficult to face Alec.

"I'll have lunch with you, that sounds nice." Faina had been making small talk with Else for awhile now, avoiding anything important. She didn't ask about Reece because she didn't want to in turn have to talk about Alec. Instead she pretended to be fascinated with completely boring things and talked meaninglessly until by the end of the day she didn't even remember what she'd said. And really, she didn't care.

Else nodded and slowly sat up in her bed. She looked down at her hands and sighed softly before standing up. "It's no problem really, I was going to go to the library to browse sometime anyway." Else lied, running a hand through her hair and looking at the mirror. She had showered yesterday so now all she had to do was put on some different clothes.

"Oh great," Faina replied, and she stopped, having just realized she was nervously walking around the room in a semi-circle. The thought of even having to look at Alec sickened her, mostly because it reminded her of what she might have done and how if he hadn't told her she wouldn't even know. She was afraid to tell Martín, or anyone else for that matter because it was not only embarrassing, but she didn't want to have to believe that it actually happened. Faina much preferred to live in her own world, even if it wasn't the honest one.

"After you're done we can walk done main street and find a sandwich shop if that's okay with you," she prompting, figuring that Else wouldn't care where they went. Sometimes it was just easier for her to make the decisions.

"That's fine." Else said softly as she pulled on jeans for the first time in days and a nicer looking shirt. "I'll just call you if I have trouble finding the books or if they don't have it. That way you know in advanced and could try to find it somewhere else."

She got her things together, her cellphone and bad, and finally looked at her roommate. Else had been distant for awhile now and she wondered how Faina was affected by it, if she even cared.

"Cool, thanks." Faina watched her roommate leave to get her books. They'd been talking less lately than they had initially, but this didn't bother Faina. In fact she kind of preferred it so that she could focus on school, her designs, and avoid certain subjects. At the same time though she hadn't bothered Else about her own issues in a while and had basically abandoned her idea of helping her by finding out who these parents after her were. With Alec out of the picture Faina hadn't exactly went to someone else for the help, but instead dropped the notion altogether. Else seemed to be okay though, so it wasn't doing any harm, right?

Faina spent the morning sketching possible projects that she could sell to help defray tuition costs.

As she was walking to the library Else kept her gaze toward the sidewalk. Her feet were dragging and people continually walked in front of her. She contemplated just walking into the river that was on campus, but figured that was too noticeable and someone would try to get her out before anything happened.

With a sigh she ran her hand through her hair before dropping it. Life didn't seem to have much to it anymore for Else. She desperately needed someone who cared about her to come and try to cheer her up or make her go out again. Everything with Marid and her husband keep eating away at her.

Status
Not open for further replies.