Strife

Lyra Rosewald

"Don't talk like we aren't here," Lyra growled at the old man after his comments about Lyra's 'type'. There was a subtle animosity to her voice, but so subtle that it didn't seem to be intentional. When the woman demanded they hand their weapons over, Lyra crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. She took a deep breath to go on one of her long rants, but let out a dissatisfied sigh as Logan stepped in instead.

The whole way to the camp, Lyra remained mostly quiet, but kept glaring daggers at the strange woman accompanying Logan and Emrin. She only ever spoke to mutter and grumble. The moment they arrived at the camp, she locked her eyes on the newly empty cooking station. "Ten minutes?" She echoed the man Logan called to as 'Doc'. "I'm gonna need to use that for..." She turned to Logan, rolling her eyes and bobbing her head lightly, thinking of a way to pour her thoughts into words. "Well. Y'know." She didn't wait for any signal of permission to march over. She looked down at the pan with the smell of newly cooked meat. She set down her satchel and pulled out a bunch of red flowers and a mostly empty, but very clean glass bottle. It looked like a modified old-world bottle, with the bottom like a small balloon. The little liquid within it was an opaque crimson, the same colour as the flowers. She carefully plucked the petals of the flowers before crudely stuffing them in through the narrow top of the battle, with a curse or two escaping her mouth every few seconds. Adding a couple more ingredients, mostly crushed alchemy ingredients she got at Breez, she bottled the top, with the bottle's clear liquid now stained with a bunch of dead flowers and gray dust.

With a piece of cloth between her hand and the glass, she held the concoction up on top of the fire as it boiled rather quickly. As the liquid grew darker, and started to rise, a bit of a black smoke emerged, seeping a little through the minuscule orifices in the cork of the bottle. She opened the bottle quickly as the liquid seemed to be about to overflow. The boiling immediately stopped, leaving behind no trace of the petals or dust. She took a quick sniff but quickly shut it tight once again with a disgusted look on her face. "That should do it," she said to herself. Sliding the bottle back in her bag, Lyra stepped away from the fire and walked over to Mona. "At least got that done," she mused, patting her satchel. "Sorry I dragged you out this morn. At least we're far from whoever came from Providence, eh?"

Mentions : @The Wanderer @Snowflake @Kat @Kurogane86 @ItariChan @TheQueensGuard

Lauren wasn't happy, to say the least, with the new arrangements. Four new kids would be a liability to the group, one that Lauren wasn't willing to go with. While it was nice that Rain had made food for everyone, she wasn't interested in a taste. Lauren raised a brow, suspicion flooding as one of the new girls, Lyra as Logan had referred to her as, made her way over to the fire and began to brew a strange concoction. Lauren glanced over at Logan, curious what he knew of the girl and walked over to him.

How could Logan do this? How could Lauren trust anyone now when Logan had all but disrespected other people's privacy and security? There was no way she would be sleeping tonight; not with four kids to watch over and keep the assassin's knives close to their side. It was funny the assassin had outright stated what he did and where he was from; she'd never heard of an assassin from her hometown being that bold. From what she'd experienced in Folly, when someone like that revealed their true identity, they weren't safe anymore.

The scheme was ridiculous, however, if Logan wanted to keep an eye on the kids, Lauren had no problem delegating everything to him. They weren't her problem anyhow and she could always steal the keys to the van, if she needed to take cover at one point in time.

"What did she just make, Logan? You know what it is, according to her. It's poison, I bet, since she's not willing to use any weapons- according to you."

@TheQueensGuard

Nomad

Seems that the matter of who was armed and who wasn't was settled, though Nomad could see that some people in the opposite group were not happy with this decision. Those people Nomad kept his distance from. So for the majority of the trip, he stayed close to Mona, Lyra and Kane. Casting worried glance over his shoulder for fear of seeing that thing, the source of the roar that they all heard. And so that no one from the other group attacked them when they didn't look.

Eventually they found themselves back in what was a supermarket with another person on the inside, who had from looks of it had cooked something up. The man also had a dog that Nomad maintained a distance from, but kept close to the fire.

Lyra went to the fire and was doing......Something. What exactly evaded Nomad's memory. It was perplexing what she was doing, watching the process as Lyra went through it. As she finished brewing whatever it was she was brewing, Nomad couldn't stop himself from giving a small tilt of the head in mild curiosity, before looking away at the others in this little group. The older man, whom was called Logan. Seemed not at all angry with them, hell the man look like he was done with the whole thing. In fact, Nomad felt tired. Staying up the past few nights were finally taking their toll on him. And if he kept this up, no doubt that he was going to suffer worse and worse side effects until he would pass out.

That and the side effects would be detrimental to the group as a whole.

Worse, what if he had a blackout or the side effects of no sleep got Mona and the others hurt. The mere thought leaving a cold, cold feeling in his stomach. He had to distract himself with something else, anything really.

He quickly found something to keep the bad thoughts at bay by putting down the tent bag, and begin unpacking it. Unzipping it and taking the contents with a very aged book to the point that all of the images looked grey and dulled. He followed the instructions to the best of his ability and from the weathered pages that were missing some parts of pages. He was honestly lucky to even get as far as he did. In the end, the tent was of decent size. Could maybe hold two people if they sat on their rear with their back, or just one person as it was intended for. Which was preferable as he heard bending the back or sitting like that could lead to intense back pain. The cause of which was difficult to understand. As the man explaining it was a bit hard to understand as he spoke in a weird way. Like at times, the man would pronounce certain words with "el" and such.

No pillows though, that job would be left to a backpack or something. That job could easily be fulfilled.

But as Nomad finished up, the thought of hogging the tent for himself made him feel bad. So, with mild hesitation, he turned to the group gathered around the fire, clearing his throat to produce sound. The only sound he was willing to produce at the moment. He made a gesture to the tent just in case anyone wanted to use it.

He at least hoped the message was relayed good enough through simple hand gestures.

With that finished, Nomad took a seat. His mind drifting back a bit. He began to think about how he was going to thank Mona for standing up for him. Maybe he could do a scavenging run in the future, snag some supplies that she needed for no payment. Maybe even.....Say the phrase. "Thank you." The thought making his throat dry just trying to speak. The thing that stopped him was the others near him, a sudden case of something prevented words coming out. With his attempt at a thank you failed, Nomad sunk back into himself.

Wanting to avoid further embarrassment and mild shame for not thanking someone. He settled for second best. Taking out his journal, and flipping to an empty page. He would get out a pen and write out a simple message. "Thank you for doing what you did." Taking hold of the page and quietly taking it out. Or as best as he could. Folding it up, and handing it to Mona.

Hoping it was good enough for thanks. He sat back down, waiting to see what the others were going to do in terms of words, plans or whatever. If he had to stay up another night on watch, he would certainly do so.....

@TheQueensGuard @Sketching101 @Snowflake @Kat @Kurogane86 @Rads @ItariChan

Logan Russo
Stoneview
@Kat @Sketching101 @ItariChan

Logan had began feeling a bit buzzed as he sat beside the fire. He had taken several drinks from his flask, and was nearly due for a refill. He had left his spot by the campfire only once to dig a can of beans from his bag, and used a knife to open them. Eating them cold from the can, Logan watched Lyra make her concoction on the fire curiously.
He knew Lyra needed her medicine to hold back the effects of her sickness but had never seen anyone actually make it. He wasn't too familiar with the complexities of alchemy, though was fond of the various drugs and drinks you could make with it. Laurens footsteps drew his attention as she stood beside him.
What did she just make, Logan? You know what it is, according to her. It's poison, I bet, since she's not willing to use any weapons- according to you.
Logan sighed and shook his head, standing up. "Relax Lauren, she's not going to poison you. It's medicine." He didn't elaborate too much, but went on.
"If these kids were going to kill us, they could've shot us in the road. Aside from some petty theft, these kids have relatively clean records in Breez."
He paused and glanced towards the Gasmask guy, who was busy setting up a tent.
"I trust Mona has a good enough head on her shoulders to decide if Gasmask over there is trust worthy or not. As for Kane."
He glanced at the Folly assassin
"We can keep an eye on him. If he tries anything we can shoot him. Guns beat knives."

He took a step away from her and called out to everyone. "Once everyone has some food in them, we should get some rest. We can sleep in shifts. I'll take first watch with..." He tapered off and looked around before pointing "Emrin and Lyra. Lauren will be in charge of shift number two."
He picked Emrin at random, though he purposely picked Lyra. He was a bit paranoid and didn't want to wake up with a pair of fangs in his neck.

Mona sat down near Lyra mainly poking the fire idly with a stick while the other one made her medicine. She was disheartened that there were no warm meals and that she had to eat her canned spam again. That thing was just disgusting sometimes, the salt, the preservatives... Terrible, but at least it was food and they had shelter and warmth. She also made an effort to ignore that one floozy who couldn't accept that Lyra was nice, really that woman was worse than Logan. Either way, once Lyra had packed her potion, Mona was still poking the fire. "Oh yeah, at least tha--" She paused, dropping the stick in her hand. "EXCUSE ME!" She wacked Lyra over the back of her head with her palm. "You failed to mention that part when we were heading out!" She stared daggers at Lyra for not telling her anything about it. More to the point she was angry that she was kept in the dark and then lied as to why they were leaving. Most likely she did need more things for the potions anyway.

She was quite ready to give that girl a stern talking to with a few more smacks on her shoulder when the Mask-guy interrupted with a clearing of his throat and then not much more. It sort of took the wind out of Mona's outrage and she just sat down next to Lyra, punching her in the shoulder once, gently. "Don't fucking lie to me next time." She was pouting, there was no need to lie, she could've just said she was scared. Most likely she would have continued to pout for a while had the Mask-guy not handed her a note. A rather sweet one too. She chuckled and turned to look at him with a kind smile. "Hey relax, I got your back. You're a good guy, Mask-guy." She moved on closer to him and ruffled up his hair, or what was visible of it anyway. Hearing that she wasn't on watch she practically exclaimed and jumped with joy. "Woohoo, no watch!" She was already rolling out her sleeping bag and squeezing into it close to the fire to keep her warm. "Wake me up when we're back at Breez."

Doc is not happy and his lips twitches with annoyance' I'm starting get really fed up with these women, it's one thing after the other' ' I haven't said anything bad since the group came back, I think time for some proper food'.
Rain speaks up and says" it's likely to be a long night, I would suggest cooking a proper meal to hold us over for a while, and I have enough meat and such for a big stew or a roast if that's what people would like"

Last edited:
Nomad

Well, so far so good. Mona liked the little note that he had written, both with words and a small ruffle of his head.

Both were nice.

Anyways, seeing as he was thankfully not part of the first watch, he could give into the need that has been plaguing him more with each passing hour. Pulling his backpack off of him, he would lay down using the backpack as a pillow. He would've used the tent, but as he made clear a few moments ago, that was that whomever wanted to use it could do so. As the tent, while of decent size, could hold two to three. And he didn't want to take up space that people could need for comfort.

Besides, the supermarket and fire helped keep the cold at bay, and with three people on watch. He could sleep without worry of something happening in the middle of the night. Moving onto his side for an added bit of comfort while facing somewhat in the direction of the fire to avoid the light from bothering him, his eyelids gave into the heavy weight of sleep, and he was promptly fast asleep.

Dreaming was a bit of an oddity for Nomad. Most of the time, they were just random things occurring like suddenly the portals that caused all this spat out something that fixed everything and things were alright, or just nonsensical things like floating pieces of areas he held dear to his heart that floated in a empty void while the portals hung in the background like they were some lingering artist, looking at the bits of the artwork that they created for some unknown reason that Nomad could not comprehend.

Sometimes, the dreams turned into nightmares. The typical, the dreamer being chased by a monster and it's a sick twisted game of "Run until it catches you." The monster changing every time. Sometimes it was a troll, or a vampire or a dragon. Sometimes it'd be some twisted abomination that looked unnatural. Or as unnatural as one could get in this world.

However, it seemed the dream for Nomad now was going to be a mixture. As he would find himself ashore what looked like a white beach against a grey sky with what looked like a black sea at its edge. Curiosity overtaking him, he would walk over to the strangely colored liquid, and dip his hand in only to find that it was like sludge. The substance sticking to his fingers like honey. And before his dreaming mind could come up with more crazy things to dream about. He was blinded by a light only matched by the sun in intensity. A distorted voice calling out to him from well within the far distance of the dark sludge of a sea. For some reason, he felt urged to go toward the light. As if it were some treasure he needed. So, he would wade through the sludge. Doing his best to trudge through the thick substance as it got deeper and his efforts had to be strengthened just to move. Wasn't long before he was floating barely toward the light, it getting farther and farther away and he was beginning to dip beneath the waves.

It was a fruitless quest. One that'd continue until he would be awoken.

To those keeping watch, they could see Nomad occasionally giving a small twitch in either one of his hands, or a slight jerk of his head. And he would occasionally subconsciously move in his sleep for maximum comfort. But he remained asleep, as the past few days have taken their toll on him. And now all he needed was rest....
@TheQueensGuard @Sketching101 @Snowflake @Kat @Rads @Kurogane86 @ItariChan

Kane followed the group eye balling the old man Logan, thinking how he didnt need knives to kill him where he stood. He followed them to a grocery store, apparently it was once a place where food was sold. He looked around at the tattered pictures of happy people enjoying different foods. He looked around and didnt see any pictures of the slop he was given for so many years. He stood by off to the side of the group but close enough to jump in if needed.

He looked at the masked man while he offered the loud Mona a piece of paper. She seemed to appreciate it and tosled what ever hair he gad exposed. He looked at Lyra who was brewing somerhing, it wasnt food so Kane ignored it. It wasnt until someone mentioned food did Kane gain interest. "I would appreciate either, he said to the man known as Rain." His stomach growled loudly as he preyended not to notice.

Lyra Rosewald

"Ow!" Lyra pulled her beanie back. "Well… I..." Her face sunk for a moment but she got revitalized as Mona's flurry of blows landed on her shoulder. "Hey! Stop!" She rubbed her shoulder and started grumbling. As the masked man came by, Lyra looked away. Her visage relaxed from mild pain to a sorrowful expression. "I didn't mean to..." she mumbled, perhaps a bit too quietly. She didn't react at all at the last, light punch, keeping her gaze averted. Her posture sank slowly until she heard Logan call her name.

Lyra looked up at Logan from her seat before turning back to the fire. "Hm. Why not," she said. She picked up a small, frail stick from the floor and started poking at the fire, leaning her head on one hand. She continued muttering to herself. "Hungry, sleepless, thirsty… And now she's angry..." The stick snapped into two as Lyra's thumb pressed down. She got up to her feet and shot a glare around the room before walking over to Logan. "Why're you all out here anyway?" she asked, clearly disgruntled. "Rockview or whatever. And when are we headin' back? I need to keep an eye on the shop or the old man'll have to spend his day there." She leaned to the side to glare at Lauren and then turned back to Logan. "An' also, who the hell is she? Been acting like she owns the entire goddamned city ever since we got out of that tunnel."

Mentions : @Snowflake @ItariChan @TheQueensGuard @Kat @The Wanderer

After they got back to camp, Emrin sat down next to the fire. She was tired from using magic and walking around all day. Lyra also sat down at the campfire and began making something. Emrin watched her curiously. but couldn't figure what it was she was making or why from the ingredients she had. Emrin reached into her bag and pulled out a small can of Tuna to eat for dinner while listening to Logan pick people to be on the first watch shift. "What? Why me? I'm tired." She grumbled and finished her dinner. Then a thought occurred to her. Logan was infamous in Providence for his powerful summon. Maybe he could help her with her owl. Plus being on first shift meant she wouldn't have to wake up in the middle of the night. "Actually, nevermind. I'll do it."

As it started to get dark and the others went to bed, Emrin sat next to the fire to make sure the coals didn't go out. She wasn't cold because of her enchanted cloak, but it was chilly out and some people didn't have anything to keep them warm. "We're actually here to look for some people. We'll go back after we're finished." She told Lyra, "That crazy lady is named Lauren. She made a scene in Jay's bar and shot my owl with a gun! Well, I guess it was his fault. He did poop in her hair after all. He's such a pest sometimes. He never does what I want him to do. It's honestly a miracle he behaved so well today."

Rain looks at kane for a few moments then says" I'm not sure how long we're staying, but I can give you some jerky or dried fish in the mean time". Rain looks around at nomads tent and thinking'He's a kind guy but he seems as though he's scared of his own shadow'
'Having a sniper of sorts is good for cover, also given the mix in the groups we should be fine'.

@Kurogane86

Lauren wasn't having any of this until she found out who was supposedly their friend and who was foe. Logan had made the exception without thought for other people's feelings and safety, now it was her turn to play judge and jury. She stared at Nomad's tent from afar, watching as Rain kept an eye on it. That wouldn't do her any good. She'd have to execute a plan of action when Rain just so happened to look the other way. For now though, he was making it difficult for her. Her chance came when Rain turned his attention back to Kane.

The thief dove silently behind Nomad's tent, away from the fire. She listened for the boy inside and heard him shifting around in his sleep; poor kid. Lauren undid one of the pegs planted firmly in the ground and glanced underneath the tent to get a view of where the kid was at. He was out of her way, that was for sure. She delicately slipped underneath the ground and placed the peg back where she'd found it, staked firmly in the ground. It didn't take a genius to find out that the kid didn't have much in his bag and that meant so far, he wasn't a labeled threat.

She needed more evidence though. Maybe he was hiding something in his pockets. It'd be challenging not to wake him. Lauren stared at the kid and shook her head as he jerked his head a little bit and twitched his hand. Was he having nightmares? Maybe she could keep him in them just until she grabbed whatever he might have on his person and took a look for security purposes. Lauren's steps were quiet and slow, like a lion getting ready to pounce on their prey. When Nomad stopped twitching for a few brief moments, she towered over him and discreetly slipped her hands inside his pockets to see if there was anything worth going to the trouble for.

Ah. There it was. Something. A... notebook? Lauren pulled the small pad out of Nomad's pocket and stuffed it in her own. She went out the backway of the tent- the same way she came in by removing the peg and slipping out of sight- and walked away from the supermarket area where most of the people were, opting for a more secluded area while she read and copied down whatever work Nomad may have had laying around in this strange notebook of his. She wouldn't relent until she understood why he acted the way he did and knew that he truly was just an innocent.

@The Wanderer

Nomad's Notebook

Nomad's notebook was a mess being held together by duct tape. And the inside was an odd sorted mess. The first couple pages were maps of what's the safest route and which had the most safe place to camp to and from each settlement. Then it'd be detailed drawings of creatures and people and notes about them. Not specifically how to kill or harm, but how to avoid them.

There was a curious thing though, that being there was a clear difference between Nomad's entries and someone else as the other's were written in a far neater almost cursive style and was more scientific, almost as if trying to teach Nomad about it, and the drawings were extremely detailed to the point one would easily guess it was done by a professional. While Nomad's was more plain and crude at times and his drawings were more sketches at best.

Truly an odd thing. What added to it was the phrases when it came to describe the various factions out there. Some had subtitles of "Alright folks." Or "Avoid them, they can be asses at the worst of times."

After that, it was just a few pages of sketches. No doubt by Nomad due to the randomness of it. From landmarks, creatures, random faces and such. Then it moved onto diary entries. The first half of them clearly in the same method as the first couple of pages where it was written by someone else and then it'd be Nomad's writings.

The first entry or what counted as it went as such.

"Day 324 - Found a small kid trying to sneak some of our rations last night, nearly took off before I grabbed him. Didn't do anything to him. Not that much of an asshole, despite the scrapes and bites I had to endure to keep him from running off. Skinny kid, hasn't ate much. Looks like he hasn't had a good bite in a while. The others asked him where did he come from, but we got no answer.

Not a lack of an answer, all we got was a confused grunt. Maria says the kid must've been feral for a long time. She's a softie, which explains why she wanted to take the kid in at least until we find out what happened and give him a decent meal or two."

After that, the entries were mostly centered on random events, such as the author and Maria teaching the kid certain skills and naming him Nomad. There were mentions of a Jakob, Marcus, Lucy, and Gary. Whom each had something to deal with a skill that was then taught to Nomad. Sometimes an entry was about a big event such as the time that Gary lost his arm to a drake and Lucy was pregnant.

The last entry in the book was bloodstained and read as this.

"Day 1825 - Nomad and I got separated from the group during a bandit attack. Bastards came out of the building we passed. Took a bullet aor two to my lower back. Can still walk but it feels like glass is being grinded in my organs. Nomad helped providing fire as we got away. The others can handle themselves. We've holed in a building, waiting til it's clear to move.

But I am no fool.

The pain and the wound not stopping in letting my life leak out despite Nomad and I's best attempts. I am not gonna live through the next hours. Might as well do my best to give ya some extra knowledge, kid. I know I told ya that this notebook is gonna be yours one day. But I hoped it'd be long, long before anything like this would happen. So as you no doubt read this, when I pass on or I give it to ya and tell all this. I'm blabbering on. Have to do this just in case I can't say anything before then.

While I am not the family type, I do see ya as an adopted son, or nephew or something. Given my age, it'd be grandchild. The others do see ya like this as well. Stay honest and don't mess with the tribe, and they should treat you as family as well. My last bits of advice and truthful words before the reaper finally gets me is this.

Don't try and change the world. You'll end up killing yourself in the process. Seek to not disturb the waves, not causing harm nor striving to do better. Not saying to be a paranoid hermit that no one will even know. But, just focus on surviving and achieving whatever version of peace you want. Be it settling down with a nice lady, or guy if you go that route. It's the post-apocalyptic world, ain't no-one gonna judge. Or you find a settlement and leave that mark on the world, or something. Something plain, nothing evil or good.

A life that won't end as violently as mine has. I want for you, a peaceful nice life. Have a nice family and such unlike what I had growing up, and not counting the tribe, not what I had in my youth and present days. Safe and happy. That and remember the golden rule: Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. In other words. Don't be an ass to people and they won't be mean. Hopefully, knowing Folly. Stay away from them, they'll lead you down a path similar to mine. Not saying Providence is any better, the nutjobs.

I feel tired, my strength ebbing away, hard to think now. You're out scouting ahead to ensure things are safe. Good thing, don't want you to see me go to whatever afterlife awaits me.

Just know that from wherever or whatever. Be it a heaven or hell or whatever, I'll be watching over ya. And if a heaven situation, will be waiting for ya in hopes of a peaceful life or as a comfort for anything else.

Adios, kid.
Franklin Shepard."

After that, the entries were written in a slightly less than nice handwriting that got better as the pages went on, written in the same format with the days and such.

@Kat

Kane thanked the gentleman for his food, "ibwould appreciate either." Once he was given the piece of dried meat he ate it an inatant. "Thank you, my body was lacking protein. I could feel the days of malnorishment taking its toll. He bowed to the man know as Rain and went back to his group. he didnt know what to besided wait, he didnt feel comfortable with the old man standing watch or taking his weapons. He knew he didnt need his dagger to kill the old man his magic and fighting style were custom made for quick assassination

Lauren had worked diligently to re-sketch the monsters Nomad had drawn and copy over any notes that were important to know. What she didn't expect was the diary entries that seemed to appear out of nowhere. Curiosity got the best of her and she read from day... three hundred twenty four? How much had this notebook gone through? She shifted towards the ground, laying her head on the dirt as she held the notebook above her. Her chest tightened as she read about the kid. Shit, he'd been through so much.

There was an unwavering need for her to continue over the next few hours. Her throat dried as she finally came to the last entry. She narrowed her eyes, discomfort and sorrow mixing in her facial expressions. For anyone that could've seen her in that moment- which she was glad wasn't the case-might've mocked her for being in low spirits. Lauren had originally intended on stealing and keeping Nomad's notebook, however, it was best now to return it to him. The notebook was probably the last thing he'd been holding onto from his mentor.

She kept the important information and sketches about landmarks and creatures for everyone's safety, though decided not to write any of the diary entries because of how personal they were. Lauren sat up and dusted the dirt off her jacket. She cupped the back of her neck and sighed. It was probably almost time for her to take watch, not that she'd gotten any sleep at all. She snuck out from her hiding spot and discreetly slipped back inside Nomad's tent to snugly fit the notebook back in his pocket the way she'd taken it out. She placed a granola bar of hers at his side with a small note, but no name.

Hey you,
You need this. Keep your strength up.

Lauren went back to the van where she'd intended to take a quick nap, if she could, and three tylenol for the headache she'd magically induced from the emotions she felt reading Nomad's notebook. Hopefully, he'd be open to repairing that soon... It wasn't going to hold up much longer with duct tape- it needed a thread and needle for more stability. After probably scaring the boy herself upon their first encounter though, it didn't seem like that would be in the books any time soon. She just prayed that the kid could actually talk soon enough. It'd make his life easier and everyone else's life easier.

@The Wanderer

Ghost and Aster Russo
Stoneview - Gus's residence
Collab with @TheQueensGuard

The farmhouse for the most part was in tact save for a few broken windows and rubble on the northside wall.
"He certainly always built things to last" Nissa murmured to herself as she walked towards the back door. It was the same way she had always walked into the homestead, forever trudging in with muddy boots and having to wash them off in the laundry before heading any further inside.slowly drawing the creaking door open with some hesitation, Nissa's eyes glanced to the top of the door frame and wondered for a moment if the place actually as structurally sound as she had assumed. Whistler barely waited for the door to open slightly before the hound nudged his way past Nissa's leg, nose to the ground as he padded into the laundry like had in the past. She couldn't be sure whether it was the fact that she was in an emotional moment of turmoil or simply because she was concussed but the way her stomach churned and legs turned to jelly had Nissa carefully using the old laundry bench at the back door for support. The surfaces were covered in dirt and dust, some no longer functional at all but it became the least of her issues when she heard the low snarls coming from Whistler after he disappeared from view.

The hound had smelt something and in his natural instinct had sought out the scent until he had moved into the doorway of the lounge. Letting off a snarl at the stranger he stood his ground as he barked loudly, sounding a warning for Nissa who paused in the hallway and winced as she immediately reached down for the gun in her boot only to find it missing.Great she had thought to herself before instead grabbing a piece of wood from the floor and slowly standing back up. Things were quickly going to shit and by the time Nissa reached the doorway where she could see Whistler, she was beginning to wonder if she would make it at all. Peering her head just past the door frame as Whistler continued to bark, she spotted a young woman and the end of a barrel pointed in her direction.

Aster had her feet planted, her eyes locked on the doorway where the sound came from. She hadn't expected a dog to come around the corner and had expected a person instead of an animal. Surely the dog had an owner, it couldn't have survived by itself out here. "Easy doggy, I'm not gonna hurt you…"

She eyed the dog warily, worried it would lunge at her. She licked her lips and glanced back towards the doorway, then back down to the dog. With the dog barking, it took away the element of surprise. "I-I know you're there. I don't wanna shoot anyone, so just come out with your hands up."

It was a bluff, she couldn't shoot anyone even if she wanted too. She used up her ammo the day before when on the run from the troll. She didn't do well in hiding the lie either, her voice as shaky as her nerves. Her hands trembled and made it hard to keep the gun steady.

After a moment Nissa slowly stepped into the doorway knowing how royally screwed she was given this woman was armed with a pistol compared to the lump of wood. Still she didn't hold her hands up, instead holding herself steady as she lent against the wall.
"Easy..I'm not armed." Nissa announced before shrugging with a wince, "Well not exactly threatening at least." she added as she tossed the lump of wood down before letting it rest on Whistlers back, "Good boy."

Aster eyed the woman as she leaned against the doorway. She was hurt by the looks of it. Aster hesitated and slowly lowered her pistol. She gave a slight nod and placed the pistol down on the table "Good. I wasn't looking forward to fighting anyway." She didn't seem like a bandit, otherwise she would have sent her dog on her and came in guns firing. She kneeled down and reached for her bag, digging through it. "Are you injured?"
She found her lantern and a bundle of bandages. Flicking the lantern on she rested it on the table and motioned for the other woman to come sit down. "Come and sit down, I'm no doctor but I'll see what I can do about those wounds. She paused, glancing back at the dog. "As long as your dog won't bite me.

The ease at which the woman lowered her weapon had Nissa calm significantly, figuring that neither one of them could be bothered putting up much of a fight as the other. It wasn't like Nissa to not stand her ground but in such a moment it was better to go with the flow than kick up a storm and end up in a worse condition. It didn't mean she would place complete trust in the stranger but as the woman sat down and offered her help, the friendly gesture was taken rather smoothly. A small smile raised at the mention of Whistler as Nissa stepped past him and took a seat on one of the old couches beside the coffee table in the lounge.
"He's fine, he is just protective," she answered as the dog sat still by the door. "A tatzelwurm collided with the bike we were on and I came off second best," she told the woman "I think it is just a couple of cracked ribs mainly."

[color= #ADD8E6]"Sounds like that'll leave a bruise, but it could be worse." [/color]Aster replied, glancing into her bag. She just had bandages and rubbing alcohol, nothing to help alleviate the pain ribs.[color= #ADD8E6] "I'm afraid I don't have anything for the pain."[/color] She took a seat beside the injured woman, giving her a curious look. [color= #ADD8E6]"What're you doing in Stoneview? I heard the city was vacant, save for some bandits."[/color] At the mention of bandits Aster scooted a little bit away from the woman, reminding herself that she was a stranger.

Nissa did her best to remove her torn and tattered jacket without causing herself more pain as the woman dug through her bag before querying the reason for Nissa being here. She could see the realisation dawning in the woman opposite her and in response she lightly put her hands up with palms exposed.
"I won't attack you, and I sure as hell ain't no bandit," Nissa tried to reassure the woman as she watched her, picking up on the providence tattoo under the woman's eye. "Actually I've been on a search mission of sorts, finding people from your city." Nissa motioned. "You can call me Ghost," she added shortly after figuring that the sooner they shared identities that perhaps the unsettled nervousness between them could be calmed somewhat.
"Believe me, I have too much of a headache for a fight right now. I am just here searching for a bunch of scientists on behalf of the Breez councillors," Nissa explained further. She rarely revealed so much information about herself but given her own condition and the fact that she had no firearm, a little detail was bound to get her much further.

Aster relaxed some. Some of the weight lifted from her shoulders hearing that Nissa wasn't a bandit, though her head tilted in curiosity hearing that she was in the city looking for others from Providence. She smiled some hearing the strangers name. [color= #ADD8E6]Ghost.[/color] She said the name to herself, giggling internally. People beyond the wall had such strange names!

Her curiosity was piqued even further, hearing that Ghost was looking for her group. Her eyes lit up. People were there to save her and her group! Her eyes narrowed some, realizing she was sent here from Breez, not Providence. [color= #ADD8E6]"Breez? Where is the rest of your group? Is anyone from Providence with you?[/color] A million questions flowed through her mind, and she had to take a breath to steady herself. [color= #ADD8E6]"I'm Aster Russo, I'm a part of the group you're looking for. [/color]

There was silence for a moment as Nissa took a long breath in. The reason for this was perhaps lost in the middle of the questions posed to her though truthfully it was the name that had caused the hitch. This was her, this was Logan's daughter. Shit and buggery Nissa had thought,inwardly groaning at the fact that now she had to make a difficult choice on how to broach the topic. Or did she have to at all? Avoiding that was possibly her best choice made all day.
"I took lead to scout the way from Breez to Stoneview, I know stoneview well so it made sense for me to make sure all was clear," Nissa commented before stifling a small laugh. "Evidently it wasn't all clear but you know...shit happens."
Caring little for time spent being self conscious Nissa pulled her shirt up and slowly over her head with a grunt and grumble, leaving her sitting with her bra and a visibly bruised torso as she dumped the shirt on top of the jacket remains upon the table. She sighed somewhat as she looked down at the purplish blue hues that marked her skin and the rash from having slid across the ground.
"Jason Kennedy asked a group of us to come along from Breez, we aren't all familiar with one another but I'm sure you could understand that not everyone is keen to get involved with Providence business outside of the city." Nissa commented with an underlying truth. "Mr Kennedy was asked by a woman from Providence although we didn't have enough time to stick around and swap phone numbers for long walks on the beach." She answered sarcastically with well intentioned humour. Nissa stopped to steal a long gaze around the living room. It hurt to see the place this unkempt, her mother had always helped Gus to keep it tidy and organised.

She had heard the name Jason Kennedy before, and was seen as a sort of figure head of Breez. What this man, and the group he sent, had to gain from helping out people from Providence, she didn't know. Aster winced slightly at the bruises that covered Ghost's body. They looked painful, though she had seen worse at the Church in Providence when people from beyond the wall were brought in for healing. "Well at least you and your dog are in one piece." Aster stood from the couch and walked around the room, looking at the dusty walls, now lit up from the lantern. She smiled as she took a peek outside from behind heavy, old curtains. Help was so close! She feared that going all the way back to Providence would take too much time, but it seemed the group was near. Why Providence didn't send a group from their city confused her, but she didn't care. This time tomorrow she would be helping a group of people that lived outside the walls track down her people. It was an adventure she'd been waiting for.
"So you lived in Stoneview when it was an actual city?" Aster asked, moving to a bookshelf where one of the shelves had collapsed. "What was it like?"

Whistler had made himself comfortable on the floor beside the table, his eyes following Aster as she walked around the room. Beside him Nissa watched Aster as well, though inwardly she condemned herself for revealing that she had lived in Stoneview. She wanted to give this woman a bit of trust given Aster was Logan's daughter and he had so far proved to be an okay kind of guy. But the tattoo reminded her of Providence and every meaning behind that city. They were in her house but that didn't mean she was going to let Aster know that.
"It was beautiful, the community was lovely." She told her in short. Nissa felt a small sense of heaviness in her chest that had started to knot and in reaction she changed the subject.
"Look, I don't think it's wise to stay beyond the morning. We have cover here for the evening but I think it's best if we head out at dawn for the group."

Aster nodded in agreeance, a hopeful smile on her face. "Then we should probably get some rest." Aster made a makeshift bed on the floor, laying on her jacket to cover the floor and used her backpack as a pillow. She stretched out and curled up on the floor, ready to get some rest. It wasn't until she laid down that she realizing how tired she was. "Goodnight Ghost." She murmured sleepily, giggling at the name one last time before drifting to sleep.

The giggle prompted a small smile from Nissa as she watched Aster get comfortable and bid her goodnight.
"Night" she replied as Nissa set to work quietly taking the supplies Aster had pulled from her bag, cleaning what dirt she could from her skin before bandaging her ribs. All the while she kept a watchful eye on Aster Russo, making sure she was well and truly asleep before easing herself from the chair. Whistler lifted from the floor as Nissa took a step from the chair turning and pressing her finger to her lips before waving her hand down. Whistler did as he was told, his tail ceasing to wag as he sat down and let his front legs slide out in front of him until he was laid on the floor.

The house was quiet except for the occasional creak of a floorboard an the rattle of the wind against the remaining intact windows. Upstairs Nissa sat down on an old dust covered bed, room simply layered in several years of grime yet all of the furniture and objects were untouched until now. Her fingers ran delicately over an old hand stitched doll that resembled something between a cute children's toy and a voodoo statue. Her lips trembled as she clutched the simple toy, her eyes filling with tears as she looked up and around the room that was once her own piece of sanctuary. Oh how the world had changed since then.

Emrin, Logan and Lyra
First Watch
Collaboration between @ItariChan @Sketching101 and Myself

Logan was lighting a cigarette when Lyra started asking questions. "Stoneview." He chimed in once, only to correct her calling the city Rockview. He sat staring into the fire, listening to Emrin explain their circumstance too Lyra.
"Fine, Stoneview, whatever," Lyra grumbled, kicking at some of the small pieces of rubble on the floor. She moved her gaze over to where Mona had lied down, before turning away and toward the other two. Her eyes stuck to the floor as she entangled her fingers behind her back, fidgeting nervously.

He knocked some of the ash off the cigarette and glanced at Emrin when she complained about the owl.
"You can't control him because you need to hone in on what binds him to you."
The words were more or less what his mentor told him years ago. While Logan wasn't much of a teacher, it didn't hurt to give Emrin the small bit of advice.
"Summons are creatures from another place and only come to this world when you tap into what binds you with them." He shrugged, taking another hit of the cigarette. "Or something like that." He looked back into the fire, content with what he told her.

Emrin frowned at Logan's words. She had heard something similar in the past but had never felt like she understood them, "My old teacher told me it's because I don't know his name. He said that the bond between us will never be strong enough until I learn it. My owl, he always tries to tell me but I can never understand or hear what he's saying to me." She sighed and thought back to when she had summoned him the for the first time Emrin you will be an enchanter. Her mother had told her. You must carry on the family business. Instead, Emrin had summoned. She had always been a lonely child, especially after what happened to Aster. Her owl had been her only companion.

"You're trying too hard." The old man said, flicking the stub of the cigarette into the fire. "He won't be able to tell you his name, you don't understand him yet." Logan stood up and stretched, popping his back with a low groan. "Just listen for it. Sooner or later you'll hear it. When I first heard my summons name,it was in the crackle of his fire. Though he's a lot less subtle than your owl."
Logan normally wasn't this helpful. Maybe it was the drink in him that made him a tad bit more thoughtful.

Emrin frowned. A crackle of his fire? What was that supposed to mean. Fires didn't talk. Unless, she supposed, they were magic. Which meant that possibly… She had an idea of what to try next time she summoned. "Thanks Logan."

Logan replied with a simple nod and a slight grunt before standing. Making his way to his bag, he fumbled around inside it for a moment before pulling out a bottle of bourbon and a chipped glass cup. "I'll be on the roof." He muttered to Emrin and Lyra, before heading out back and climbing a ladder leaning against the side of the building.

The night air was cool and crisp, a stark difference from the warm fire he sat at moments ago. The liquor in his body kept him warm enough. Plus, his particular class of magic tended to keep his body temperature up, even if it was thanks to the extra mana in his system. He flipped over an empty wooden crate, one strong enough to support his weight, and dragged it towards the ledge of the roof. He sat down, pouring some bourbon in the glass and setting the bottle beside him.

Emrin began following Logan up to the roof and then turned back to Lyra, "Are you cold? We can both sit under my cloak."

Lyra followed close behind, laying her hand on the ladder as Emrin was climbing up. A warm smile appeared on her face. "That'd be nice," she said as she started climbing.

Logan glanced behind him as the young women made their way up to the roof shortly after him. Initially he was going to object, a frown on his face, but he decided against it. Maybe it would be nice too have some company.
~~~​
Logan Russo
Following Morning

Logan groaned as the first rays of light shined on his face. The rest of the night hadn't been too eventful, and mostly it had been small talk and the smell of smoke after the old man smoked his last cigarette. Now Logan awoke with a dull headache and shaky hands. He coughed, spitting up some gunk stuck in his throat and wiping his mouth clean before taking a drink of water from his canteen. "Wake up. We outta' get on the road." Logan declared to no one in particular, before glancing down at his fingertips. A dull heat and glow emitting from them, causing him to let out an irritated sigh. He grabbed his syringe and vial of blue liquid and went towards the bathroom towards the back of the store, glancing over his shoulder before disappearing inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nomad

The rest of Nomad's dream progressively got worse and worse, as eventually the sludge was so tough to move that Nomad was reduced to a sloth's pace and the sludge kept him on the surface as he was just reaching the light, just barely seeing a silhouette of someone he couldn't make out the details of, at the base of the light was a small piece of land, a savior that would keep him from being stuck forever. He just might be able to meet the person in the light and receive whatever they had for him.

This wasn't the cause for alarm.

The light was vanishing, and with night quickly coming. The ocean began to writhe like some unspeakable beast that had just awoken. The sludge quickly loosing its consistency, returning to the honey like slime consistency like before. He could feel a tug on his legs, turning to face the source of it. He would see it was the ocean literally clinging onto him, trying to pull him back into its depths. He would do his best to escape the grasp, but the slime coiled around his legs like a tentacle and not matter how deep he dug his hands into the ground, the ocean wanted him for some nefarious purpose.

And within a second, he was pulled into the dark depths. His vision obscured by the sludge, he almost thought he was blind or the sludge was so thick that not light could pierce it. At least, until an utterly horrifying sight was shown to him. In the darkness, a gigantic eye opened up, its sinister glow piercing through the darkness and enveloping Nomad in its light. The eye was so incomprehensible that Nomad couldn't hope describe it in all of its horrifying glory. Whatever it was, it shook Nomad to his core.

Thankfully, it seemed some deity was looking out for Nomad in this moment as he awoke with a sharp gasp. Shaking from the experience, he would look around just so a part of his mind would no longer fear that eye's source being somewhere waiting to strike.

After seeing that he was back in his tent, and that he was safe and that the others were there. Some of them waking up and some still sleeping. Getting up onto his knees to get out of the tent, he noticed the note and present for him. Reading it, Nomad became perplexed. Who had left him this gift? Mona? But she was sleeping. The girl with the owl? Maybe Lyra? Or the lady that was angry earlier.

This was a curious situation.

He'd have to keep an eye out to find out who the person that left the note and present were, so that he could thank them for this. Or gesture his thanks, or write it down for them. Pocketing the note and snack, he picked up his backpack, slipping it on. Crawling out of the tent, he made sure not to wake anyone just so they could get some extra minutes of sleep. As he didn't want to sleep, the energy gained from resting were going to be good enough for him, for the next couple of hours.

He noticed movement near the back, looking would have him see it was just Logan going into the restroom. Seemed nature was calling, Nomad understood. In fact, he could just feel its call coming to him.

Walking to the doors, he was about to walk into the door that Logan went through when he thought that maybe Logan needed to be alone in case he was going to be doing his business. So walking into the door next to this one, going into the other restroom. Nomad went into a random stall to answer nature's call. After of course, taking off his gloves so he didn't dirty them even more.

After that was done, he went over to the sinks, looking for something to clean his hands with. The sinks didn't produce much, and what they did produce smelled funny. His search would eventually end as he took off the cover for a dispenser on the wall. Opening the top of the container, the smell of alcohol hit his nose. The odor similar to that of the liquid used in cleaning wounds and such, but less pungent.

Dipping his hands in, and soaking them until they felt cleaner than before. Nomad would wipe them dry on his jacket before slipping his gloves back on. Nomad would look at his reflection in the dirty mirror. Maybe this was time for practice while everyone else was asleep or preoccupied with waking up.

"T-thank you." Was all that came out of his mouth, the sound barely a whisper. Seemed that this was going to have to be repeated for better results.

So Nomad spent the next few minutes trying to improve on his words of thanks for Mona, a proper reward than a simple thank you note.

Let us hope that no one walks in on this....

~~Mona Twist~~

Sleep was comfortable and quick to arrive for Mona. No dreams, no nightmares, just tired rest. She woke when it was time for her to take shift of the watch and before she went on she stoked the fire a bit, added more fuel then headed out to the roof to keep an eye out. Up until morning, she kept her eyes peeled on that approaching storm eyes fixed in the direction of those howls and roars they heard last night. She had some spiced jerky to keep herself warm in the early morning darkness. The watch was as dull as ever but a necessary evil. Her and Lyra rarely went out so far that they had to camp out but they were no strangers to keeping each other safe and sound.

She descended once the sun rose high enough to mark the new day, once the first shift of the watch had rested enough. Everyone should've been up by that time. "Hey, do we have any proper food for breakfast?" She asked at no one in particular but eyeing out the doc guy who was apparently cooking something last night but only offered dried food to others. "And where is the old man? I was going to ask him what the plan was for today. We should organize into groups to better search the place, yeah?" It seemed it would be some time until everyone was at their hundred percent so instead of idling like a mannequin Mona sat down on a piece of rock and took out her laptop to work on some designs. There were always ways to optimize holistic patterning of her adapter enchantments. Well, that and she wondered if there were things to do to help others through enchantment so she was mostly jotting down random designs that could do simple enchantments that people might ask for.

Reactions: TheQueensGuard
So he CAN speak, oh my god. I have to keep this to myself.

Instead of walking right in while Nomad was alone, Lauren decided to wait a few minutes until he'd done his business. She didn't want to startle him, but more importantly, she was curious if he'd decided to stash away that note and granola bar she'd given him. Maybe he had since he was practicing saying "Thank you" in such a sweet and soft manner. Lauren strained to hear, but she could just barely make it out. He was a nice kid, no doubt, but now she really needed to wash her face before the crew headed out.

Lauren casually strolled in and went over to the sink with her bar of natural soap in hand- made of witch hazel and other herbs to keep the mosquitos away. She turned on the hot water and some cold water to make it hot enough to wash her arms, face, and neck, but not scalding to the point where she would burn herself. She went about her own business for a few minutes before glancing over at Nomad, as if she'd just noticed him there and smiled a little. The poor kid.

"Hope you slept as well as you could. Are you ready for today?"

It was a simple question, something he could shake his head no to or nod his head yes to, in case he didn't feel like speaking up. Lauren scrubbed her arms up to her shoulders and splashed water on them. She offered Nomad the soap with another small smile, in case he too wanted to clean up a bit with something nice and refreshing.

@The Wanderer