Strength in Differences

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was lying for him. He didn't want her to lie for him. And he didn't want her people upset with her, distrusting her for his sake. Nik appreciated it, though, was more grateful than he could truly convey that she was willing to protect him this way, even from her own people, that she was keeping his trust. He looked up at Kaulu in that moment and when his pale blue eyes met her own, something softened in his own gaze, something deeper than mere fondness starting to bloom. He didn't know what to call it yet, but he could feel it, a live spark inside gaining brightness. The Sidhe gave her a gentle smile but sighed as he looked around at the others, noting how they watched him with some suspicion, curiosity still, but pure question as well.

So Nik spoke. He couldn't tell them, not entirely, but he could give them something.

"Kaulu, it's all right." He looked to her and reached out, his fingers touching her own, reassuring. "Thank you, but it's all right." His voice was quiet, but his gaze was steady as he looked back at the three Chaktawe. He would have to choose his words carefully, but he wouldn't lie to them. "I can not tell you why I can do what I did. Please do not ask that, but...I can say that what I can do is unique to me alone among my kin. The Sidhe do not have these powers to control the elements...and so they don't approve of me having them. I'm not allowed to use them and...they would be very...displeased if they knew I had."

He looked down, rubbing his palm against his knee nervously, hoping he hadn't made a mistake.

Kaulu glanced to Nik when silence settled and she met his eyes. There was something there... something that softened his features and he smiled gently at her. But it was followed with a sigh as he looked to the others and something told Kaulu that what happened next might make or break Nik's ties with Jahidi and Aja and Lafa'la.

She stayed silent as he reassured her it was alright, her eyes switching to the other three standing. Well... she had tried, at least. And if Nik was willing to tell them this much, then surely something good was to come of it?

The Sidhe's explanation stunned everyone. He hadn't given them everything but it was certainly enough information to satisfy the three. Lafa'la moved first, stepping in front of the two men, hands on her hips and looking as if she might say something dangerous. All she did though, was look at Nik for a few long moments, analyzing him before lifting an arm off her hip and letting her hand fall back.

"You fight like that and protect us, send those termites screaming," she chuckled, "and you earned our respect, Sidhe." She used the term for the last time, taking advantage of the moment and giving a playful smirk to the man. "Your secret's safe with us." If Nik were to look to the other two, they would give a firm nod in agreement, Lafa'la having already spoken for them. Kaulu smiled in relief. A warrior's bond was their word.

Niklomaus had looked up at Lafa'la when she approached, watching her warily, feeling defensive fear rising in him at the look on her face, but the harsh words never came and he found himself blinking at her in pure astonishment at her words. He barely seemed to understand the teasing or even the words themselves yet, just hearing the tone and knowing by that alone that he'd been accepted. The very notion stunned him and he looked from one face to the another, only realizing that his reaction to this was abnormal when Aja gave him a slightly concerned look and spoke with that same worry, looking like he might approach and check the injury he'd just treated. Maybe the Sidhe had lost more blood than he'd thought.

"Niklomaus? Are you all right?"

Pale blue eyes seemed to snap out of their clouded haze and Nik nodded quickly, looking around at all of them again with a slight smile curling his lips upward. "Yes, I'm fine. ...I'm fine." And he was. In this moment, he was perfectly fine and the feeling was strange but more welcome than it had been three months back. The Sidhe stayed rather quiet for the rest of the night, but it was soon time to sleep anyway and he drifted off to sleep feeling safer than he had in a long time - and knowing that he could actually sleep tonight with the excuse that his injury had exhausted his body.

The next morning saw Nik awake before everyone else but the Chaktawe on watch. He moved up gingerly, his side not entirely pleased with the movement, but Nik was easily able to ignore its protests as he rolled up his bed and then moved toward the horses, greeting them quietly before he looked up to the sky. The same unease from last night hit him then as his pale gaze swept over the horizon and the Sidhe moved away from the equine and a bit away from the camp with a frown, trying to pinpoint what was wrong.

He'd thought that yesterday the presence of the bandits had been the cause of his dread, but it was back now and he knew the men would not be back. No, this was something else and as the wind swept past him, Nik tried to hear the message it might bring, but it was loud, howling in his ears even though he knew it wasn't actually rising to such volume to anyone else. He couldn't make sense of its whispered words, not yet.

But the unease remained.

Everything was fine. Lafa'la, Aja, and Jahidi all had accepted Nik's explanation without other questions and without rejecting him. This had stunned Nik - it was easy enough to tell for Kaulu - but... he was fine. There was truth in his words and Kaulu was extremely grateful that nothing had gone sour. When night settled and turned the sky into a deep blue, the stars brightly shining white with the moon by their side, the Princess was able to sleep soundly knowing that everybody was safe, especially Lafa'la and even more Nik.

Aja was the Chaktawe on watch when Nik woke up from his sleep. The man watched silently as Nik moved to the horses, but as he moved away from the camp, he looked away, guessing that the unique Sidhe might had to go to the bathroom or something of the sort. He was snacking on a piece of bread before he looked back towards the general direction of where Nik went.

"How's your wound?" he called out, hoping the man would hear him.

Nik had gone a bit further out without truly realizing it, following the wind that tugged on him, insistent that he pay attention. He couldn't understand the words, though, and he only knew that the breeze was growing more frantic, overwhelming the Sidhe as he struggled to comprehend what the problem was. And then Aja's voice broke through and the wind just ceased. Nik started, looking back at the Chaktawe male and then around again, listening, but the wind was gone, it's voice silent and somehow that filled him with a colder chill than the shrieking had. The Sidhe frowned and ran his hand back through his hair, unsure what to do now.

In the end he turned back to the camp, answering Aja as he did so, noting that the others were waking now too at the shout, Jahidi looking like he wanted to throw something at his younger brother for the rude awakening.

"It's fine. There has been no pulling." Pain, sure, but that was to be expected with a wound like that and Nik glanced down, seeing clearly that there had been no leaking in the night. The bandages would have to be changed again, but not yet. He remained quiet after that, moving to pull a tunic on, his eyes immediately returning to the horizon afterward with that same frown on his face, wondering, confused.

"Nik." A pause. "Nik...' Lafa'la frowned at the lack of response, never knowing the Sidhe to just outright ignore any of them and after last night it didn't seem likely that he was purposely. "Nik!" The Sidhe started, wide eyes looking down to the female and she raised a brow, pointing to the canteen near his feet wordlessly. Nik looked to it incomprehensibly for a moment before crouching and handing it to the female Suli who was rubbing near her shoulder as it obviously pained her. She took the water, took a small swallow and then gave him a puzzled look.

"What's wrong?"

Nik didn't answer, looking unsure as he looked away once more and Lafa'la looked to Kaulu. "I'm not seeing things, right? He's jumpier than usual."

One thing Kaulu hated - probably more so than most things she disliked - was rude awakenings. Whether it was herself or others, she hated it when people rudely woke up other people. And considering she was never a real morning person in the first place (she only adapted to the princess lifestyle, she didn't learn to like it), it only made it worse.

Heaving a sigh to the loud call from Aja, she roused from her sleep and looked towards the others, watching as Jahidi woke and looked just as irritated as she felt inside. It made her chuckle a bit before she looked up to her husband, catching the last bit of his words and glad to hear at least some good news in the morning.

After blinking most of the sleep out of her eyes, she stood from her spot and stretched out her body. Then she looked around before she heard Nik's name being called out more than once and she glanced to the halfbreed, black eyes squinting. Lafa'la was right - Nik was hardly the person to ignore anybody, especially on purpose. So when his name was called out again and he became startled, Kaulu became concern. Especially when the other female asked what was wrong and he answered by looking away, Lafa'la looking to Kaulu and trying to confirm his strange state.

The princess moved to her husband's side, trying to peer over him and catch his eyes. "Nik...?" she tried lightly. If it wasn't his wound that was hurting him, then... what was wrong?

Where he might not attempt to answer Lafa'la because he was unsure, Kaulu was a different matter entirely and Nik glanced down at her and then away, biting his lip, palms rubbing against his thighs in a nervous habit. "It's...I don't...there's something wrong." He finally got the words out and the rest tumbled out after them without great resistance, merely having to overcome that one hurdle of initial speech and his pale blue eyes found Kaulu ebony ones. "I don't know what it is. I felt it last night and I thought it was the attackers, but...it hasn't left and the wind, it..." Here he hesitated again, trying to think how to word what was in his mind and he searched his wife's face as if that might provide the answer.

"The wind is trying to say something to me, to warn, but I can't understand the words yet."

"Are not Sidhe great predictors of weather? Perhaps you are only sensing a storm coming." Jahidi offered, a rather reasonable explanation, but Nik's eyes narrowed in thought and he shook his head, looking back at the clear horizon. It was true a storm was coming, something he'd sensed days ago off in the distance, but it wouldn't reach them for another two days yet. No, this was something different.

"The wind is not a false speaker. She would not be so frantic about something as ordinary as a storm." The Sidhe shook his head, pale eyes snapping with frustration as he released a sigh, looking out again. Maybe he was just hearing things. It wasn't like he had a great control over his power. Maybe the danger he was sensing was himself? He didn't know and Nik looked back to the others and offered a slight smile, the expression not reaching his eyes, but attempting to be dismissive to his own words nonetheless. "It might be nothing. I...it could be nothing."

He had no way to confirm it was something.

The first answer made Kaulu stand straight and she looked over the taller male as he mustered up the will to explain his answer. He told them that he felt something wrong, unease in the wind as it was trying to warn him of something. Kaulu's brows furrowed a bit in thought as Jahidi offered an explanation, which made perfect sense, but Nik had shook his head and said that the wind wouldn't be so frantic about something like a storm.

And then he tried to dismiss his words and his feelings but Kaulu shook her head as she made eye contact with Nik. "If the wind is trying to tell you something, you listen," she said as she pointed to her ear. "It is not wise to dismiss the desert's word," she left her ear and motioned to the outward expanse of the rugged mountainside and the rest of the sands.

"Kaulu is right," Aja chimed in. "If you can read the desert, or at least understand when the wind is trying to warn you, you must listen to it and follow your gut," he patted his stomach firmly. Jahidi and Lafa'la nodded in agreement. "And it would be wise for us," this time he turned to the others beside Nik, "to try to listen to the wind and read the desert as well. And prepare ourselves for whatever it is they are trying to tell us."

Nik's eyes flickered between all four them, once again surprised by just how different the Chaktawe were from his own people. They listened to him. That was a new one for the Sidhe as his own kin wanted him to invisible, the less they saw and heard from him the better and so to have his words valued...Nik rather liked the feeling even as it scared him because he didn't want to get it wrong. Even if Kaulu had been slowly teaching him that even if he got something wrong, he wasn't going to be punished for it. It was still a new concept to accept and wrap his mind around, though, not when he'd never known any different.

Now he nodded slowly and looked out at the desert again, noting that the wind had gone silent. She was an impatient creature and prone to pouting if she didn't get her way. She was childish even as she could be greatly helpful and a force to be reckoned with. Innocence mixed up with wisdom, all the knowledge of what happened in the world and the temper tantrums of a toddler. And right now she wasn't speaking to him anymore. But her sister might.

Nik crouched slowly and brought his fingertips to rest on the sand and rock under his feet, eyes closing and he spoke softly in his own own tongue. "Sister Earth, can you hear me? Wind is trying to speak to me, but I do not understand her. What warning would she give me?" He waited, wondering if he could speak to the ground around him as easily up here as he could dwelling underground. Nik soon got his answer as he felt his power being drawn from him, called out and the Prince opened his eyes, the glow there intense as the same blue spread out from his fingers in tendrils like frost, seeping into the earth and the Sidhe became very still before he looked up. His eyes snapped to Kaulu's and she'd find herself instantly drawn in, the glow there swirling as the voice of the Earth whispered into her ear as it echoed in his mind.

"Drums...drums...the grass is trampled....the sky darkens...drums of war....Fire burns, his hunger insatiable....ever the drums, the danger comes....it comes in the dark, freezes and burns....beware the darkness of the sun..."

Nik shuddered then and the glow faded from his eyes and his fingers came up to touch his temples with a wince, the power gone, but the feeling of his head being invaded by a presence far more powerful than himself lingering. And his mind spun all the while, hearing those words still in his head.

Kaulu and the rest waited patiently - well, maybe not Lafa'la - as Nik tested the waters again. All were confused as he knelt to the ground, but soon were able to tell that he was searching for the warnings elsewhere. They heard his voice softly ringing in a tongue they did not know but only Kaulu was able to hear Earth's answer as her and her husband's eyes met. She was inexplicably and most definitely drawn to the glowing blue power swirling in his eyes.

Earth had explained her sister's warnings to the pair and the words had the woman frozen. They almost haunted her as she repeated them in her mind, trying to find something more... trying to put the words together to make clear sense.

"Nik... what does it mean?" she asked, voice quiet as she stared down to the Sidhe.

"What does what mean? What did you hear?" Lafa'la interrupted, eyes looking between the two for answers.

Nik held his temples still as they throbbed, but at Kaulu's question he finally lowered his hand and looked back up at her even as he stood, shaking his head. "I-" He was cut off by Lafa'la and pale blue eyes flickered to her and then the others, unsure how to tell them what they'd heard when he wasn't entirely sure what it had been about himself. So instead he closed his eyes again and tapped into a small well of the power within him, enough to let the message run through his mind again, repeating it out loud as a glow seeped through his lids.

"Drums...drums...the grass is trampled....the sky darkens...drums of war....Fire burns, his hunger insatiable....ever the drums, the danger comes....it comes in the dark, freezes and burns....beware the darkness of the sun..."

The Sidhe's eyes flickered open again to see that Jahidi looked extremely thoughtful, Aja very disturbed as he looked out into the distance and Lafa'la was frowning, confused. They all encompassed his own emotions quite well and Nik ran his hand back through his hair, moving, needing to. He paced slowly, fingers moving back to his temples as they continued to throb. That's what happened when he spoke directly to the elements, when he used his power too often. He was untrained in it and therefore the consequences were unpleasant sometimes. It didn't stop his mind from starting to make connections, though. Nik was far smarter than he ever got to show around his kin, not truly, but give him a puzzle and the freedom to solve it...

"Drums....drums are used in war...and the nations around us are at war from an enemy we have not been able to name. So danger comes when the drums come, when war comes." He looked up, frowning slightly, eyes narrowed, talking mostly to himself, but loud enough to be heard. "The sky...darkness of the sun...darkness of the sky...dark....Night. Beware the night. Or..." Pale blue eyes flickered to Kaulu, not entirely using her as a clue, but rather just washing over her, stabilizing again. "Or what is IN the dark. Something that...burns and freezes...like fire...cold fire..."

Kaulu's ears tuned to the sound of Nik's voice as he repeated what they heard from the earth to the three waiting warriors. Kaulu was able to look them, finding that their emotions coincided with her own as well. She was puzzled, disturbed and just as thoughtful as them even though she probably hardly showed it. Her eyes trailed Nik as he began to pace and as he spoke, she relaxed some but still remained stiff. The war of news was never very welcome in her ears and especially now when her people had just finished in with the Sidhe. Though both races were very aware of the unknown enemy and the fact that they would probably become engaged in the activity with the other nations, there was still hope that maybe - just maybe - there would be no need.

Nik's explanation of the warning made enough sense, but... there were still so many subtleties. So many things that Kaulu wanted answers, clear answers for. For now she remained silent, letting others do the talking.

"What could that mean though? Cold fire? It doesn't make sense," Aja said, finding his body was pacing as well, though in much quicker manner than Nik's.

"Darkness of the sun... that could also mean when the sun is hidden by the moon, yes? A solar eclipse, perhaps?" Jahidi offered, chin being tucked in the crook between his thumb and pointer finger.

Nik's head snapped around, his pale eyes looking to Jahidi with an intensity that rarely came over him. "What did you say?" He watched Jahidi look up at him and repeat his speculation and the Sidhe looked away again, an image flashing through his head, something he didn't quite catch, but it made him pale anyway, made his body tremble without his knowing why. It passed as soon as it had come and Nik shook his head, feeling like he was waking from a dream. He realized Aja had stopped pacing and was touching his arm in concern only when his body reacted, jumping back instinctively. His side pulled at he action and the white-haired male hissed involuntarily at the pain.

"Nik-"

"It's fine. Sorry." Pale blue eyes hid behind his hair and Aja frowned, but backed up a step and let the Sidhe be, shaking his own head, looking between Nik and Jahidi. "What would an eclipse have to do with 'cold fire'? And I repeat; what is cold fire?"

Lafa'la seemed to give a growl under her breath. "Beats me, but I'll tell you what it isn't; meat for the tribe. We need to get going. Perhaps the elders will be able to help with this riddle but we surely are not going to solve it right now."

The two male Chaktawe looked reluctantly unopposed to that plan, knowing she was correct - even if she was just changing the conversation out of frustration for not being able to figure out the warning - but they looked to Kaulu. She would have final say in what they did.

Last edited:
Kaulu's eyes hardly ever left the Sidhe. Her eyes flickered when Jahidi had repeated his idea about the solar eclipse and Nik in response had paled and his body trembled. Aja had approached him and touch his arm in concern, but Nik had jumped back only to dismiss it and apologize. Kaulu rubbed her temple as everybody seemed to talk before Lafa'la cut in and told them they needed to get started on the hunt.

She stopped rubbing and looked to the others before nodding and gesturing for them to gather there things. "Don't take things lightly, though," she warned, staring at each of them. "Watch the desert, keep your eyes open."

With that, they all expanded and gathered their hunting gear and weapons. Kaulu wanted to go to her husband and ask of what happened, but she knew that would be off path she had just directed everybody on. They all needed to be focused to get as much meat as they could.

Nik never took anything lightly, even when he should. That wouldn't be hard for him to do and he merely nodded at Kaulu before he moved to his own things. His quiver's harness went over his shoulder and back - grateful it didn't press against the side that the wound was on as it came in contact wih the opposite side of his waist - holding his arrows and his bow hooked to his back as well but easy to get to. They would be leaving their packs and other supplies hidden with the horses, traveling light as that was the best way to hunt in the mountains where a great deal of creative climbing would be involved.

And if there was something Nik knew how to do, it was climb. Now, the Chaktawe weren't as good about it with their webbed feet and such, but that's why they'd memorized paths in the mountains for the most part.

It was toward one of those that they headed to and Nik let the current activity wash over him, blocking out the warning for now. He was alert, yes, but not actively thinking about it at the moment and that was what he needed to stabilize. As they made their way up the red rocks on the path that mountain goats themselves used, Nik offered to scout ahead and see if he could find a herd. He got a weird look from the warriors - the path wouldn't let them see abroad clearly for at least fifteen more minutes with the trail they had to take - but their expressions turned a bit astonished when the Sidhe went to the edge of the ravine and without hesitation, leaped.

His body met the opposite side of the rockface, appearing uncontrolled and like he'd simply go falling down to the bottom, but that's not what happened. He'd not leaped without looking, calculating and Nik's body found purchase easily and then he simply startled to climb, nearly as quick as a spider up a wall. At this rate he'd be at the top before they were as they had to go a bit of a roundabout way and Nik might have some news of a spotted herd by the time they joined him.

After everybody gathered their gear, they secured their horses and the rest of their belongings in a safe, hidden place. Then they made their way up the mountains, following paths the goats themselves used. After a while of trekking the mountainside, Nik offered to scout ahead to see if he could maybe find a herd. They all, including Kaulu, looked at him weirdly before he set them aside and leaped off the ravine. As soon as he hit the opposite side and started to climb as skillfully as any mountain animal - he actually greatly resembled a spider climbing up something as easy as a regular wall - Kaulu remembered the story of when he was a child and climbed up a cliffside. He was always an unbelievable climber, wasn't he? Anybody could see that easily now.

They watched the climbing man for a few more moments before their leader beckoned them to move forward. He would obviously reach the top before any of them, but it wouldn't take too long for them to reach where their primary goal hopefully was.

And within a little while, when they reached the boundary of 30 feet, they all felt that familiar rush enter them through their fingertips. There was definitely movement up at the mountaintop, and Aja smiled in relief. He wasn't one to admit it, but he never really liked hiking.

Nik had spotted a herd easily as they grazed on the sparse vegetation on the slopping rockside and he kept careful eye on them, staying out of their sight should the watchful male leader happen to look this way for danger. Surely they would understand that humanoid forms represented such a thing. The Sidhe eventually kept half his attention on the animals in question, but the other half went to the desert once more. Nik tried to keep his thoughts off what they'd been told, though and forced himself to move, simply pacing slowly, watching the goats and scouting the rest of the mountainside. They'd been attacked last night; the last thing he wanted was a repeat.

Nothing happened, though and Nik offered Kaulu a smile when he spotted her, actually rather relieved to see she was all right. He really didn't have reason to fear that she'd be in trouble, but all the same he was glad to see her again. It was strange, that feeling of protectiveness, but not a bad thing he didn't think.

"The goats are on the mountainside, about a half mile from here." His pale blue eyes flickered over the four, knowing the had a great deal more experience than him in this matter. If he'd been alone he would have simply climbed close enough and attempted to shoot one of the goats, but the Chaktawe didn't climb, not really so he was interested in how they accomplished getting such wily and sure-footed creatures.

No wonder hunting was a risky thing for them.

It wasn't too much longer when Kaulu and the rest of the group reached the very goal of where they wanted to be. They had spotted Nik a distance away and when they were close enough, the princess returned his smile, keeping his gaze for a few seconds before she continued to lead the small group towards her husband. He informed them that the goats were about a half a mile from where they were on the side. With this knowledge, they all planned out their sense of attack, finding the best possible areas that coincided with their ability to climb and the best opportunities to take their shots.

They would be spread out in pairs of the area discreetly, with one exception being Aja as he gained his position alone. Even if they weren't the greatest of climbers, they could - for the most part - move without a sound. Or at least without disturbing rocks and twigs and the like from their place. And Kaulu knew just how stealthy Nik could be as well; they both had managed to sneak up on one another a few times in the three months they had spent together. So there wouldn't be any problems.

It was made clear beforehand that only one person shot at a time. Nobody needed two arrows in their goat, now did they? Signals would be given to indicate who got the first kill, depending on how sure they were of the shot they had.

Nik had paired up with Kaulu, the other three probably silently agreeing that the two needed some time together even if their minds were occupied with the task at hand. He was glad to be with his wife if only for the fact that if he messed up somehow, she would be the one person he'd trust not to give him a bad time for it. He followed her on silent feet, both of them carefully and slowly making their way toward their intended prey. It was treacherous going at times as the shale beneath them often wanted to slide away, but they managed to stay quiet while gradually growing closer.

When they'd found a large rock to stay behind, about three hundred feet from the oblivious mountain goats, Nik peeked out with Kaulu, looking for the others and catching sight of them each in their own positions, each giving the signal that they were stopping, where they wanted to be. They gave the signal back and then Nik looked to his wife as she was the one in charge of giving the signal to shoot depending on that the others told her. And considering that Nik didn't know all the signals, he simply waited.

The first shot came from Aja and the goat gave a short bleating bellow before it dropped like a stone. There was a short window of stunned stillness from the rest of the herd that Lafa'la took advantage of, having been pre-signaled to do so and then the second goat dropped. But then came the challenge as the others bolted, leaving it up to those who could pick a targe fast enough and shoot accurately to take down what they could.

Now it was a free-for-all shooting and Nik stood, taking aim and released his own arrow. It found the hide of one of the beasts and it dropped, earning a grin from the Sidhe. It had been a long time since he'd felt the simple joy of hunting.

Kaulu was glad to be with her husband as well. He had surely gained the respect of the other three, but things were just a little tense now as they all had the earth's and wind's warning waiting in the back of their minds for the perfect moment to be brought up again.

The pair had come across a large rock to hide behind. It was a good distance away from the goats and in a position where, when they peeked out, they could spot the others in there own hideouts. Everybody had given their signal that they were good and ready before taking their eyes to solely focus on one of the animals. After a few moments, Aja had given the most convincing signal and therefore earned the first kill. Lafa'la acted quickly - having been told to do so beforehand - and dropped the second goat. It was then that the beasts realized what was happening and they all ran in one direction, trying to escape.

Nik had stood, took aim, and dropped the third. Kaulu grinned before stepping out of their hiding spot and running into the area of where the goats had been, bow and arrow quickly taking aim as she trailed a single one before shooting. It had been a success and she smiled once more before taking aim again.

Jahidi had killed a few during this time, running ahead and taking target to the running group. Kaulu looked back towards Nik and beckoned him to follow before running on the same path the goats had taken. A few had climbed the mountainside and those were usually ignored unless they could easily climb up and easily climb down.

All in all, when they were finished, they had around 15 goats, maybe a few more.

Status
Not open for further replies.