Stranded and Alone (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Thanks for doing that, I can't even swim, so,"
David continue smiling, deeply appreciating the thanks.
"It wasn't an issue. I'm sure you would have done the same thing if you could have."

"You think he's, uh, -- He'll be ok? Will any of us, is the least popular question."
David's face turned slightly sour. Losing so much blood and being without oxygen for minutes wasn't good. He knew the boy would die without medical treatment, and there was nothing they could do. He grabbed his shirt from her, slipped it over his head, and said in a hushed tone,
"I don't know."
He went through all the trouble to save him, and knowing he wasn't going to make it made him feel awful. 'Maybe I should have left him out there...would have been easier on everyone,' David thought to himself. But, almost immediately, he snapped out of that train of thought. It wasn't good to have that type of thinking. He dried his damp face with his shirt, returning his gaze to the blonde girl.
"He has a huge thing in his shoulder and won't do anything about it."
David finally brought his eyes to the piece of metal hanging out of the Asian boy's shoulder. It didn't look too serious, or deep, so he thought he would give some relief to the overwhelmed woman.
"I'll take a look," he told her in hushed tone. "By the way, my name is David."
He introduced himself as he walked towards the boy, still waiting for her introduce herself while also tending to the boy's injuries. he approached him slow, with a smirk on his face.
"Can I help with -- that," David said, casually pointing at the jarring metal shard embedded in his shoulder.

@R E I ; @Red crow
"I'll take a look, by the way, my name is David."

"I'm Sonny... Thanks, I'm kind of worried about him," She told him faintly, pensive as he approached the guy whose shoulder was blatantly penetrated. Though her insides still felt wound up and her eyes were a little glossy, she seemed to be visibly calmed now, her shoulders a tad less pinched at her ears and her fingers no longer gripping whatever she could get a hold of. Someone else was in charge now, she was shifting the unspoken authority to him - maybe that wasn't fair, but what could she do? The mass, albeit temporary, confusion had briefly nullified the dull ache in her thigh, but as she began to watch him tend to the stranger she felt it coming back, and that winded feeling washed over her quite obviously.

"If you could tear this off we can bandage it up. You'll need to be ready as soon as I pull it out or I'll bleed to death, I think."

"I can he-"

"I have some bandages here."

Sonny pursued her lips, retracting her offer. Though she inched towards the other two guys just a little bit, she offered a casual nod to the new faces, feeling her gradual at ease fade back into a bit of tension. Lots of people, more lives to worry about - she was sure everyone was just bullshitting themselves right now. "Hi," She managed finally, and inched just a tinge closer to those more familiar, like David. She pulled a strand of hair from her face, sighing as the breeze kicked up - Sun looked tired, things would hit her eventually.

Bernadette was close on the stranger's heels. She took one look at the man with the shrapnel in his shoulder, then at his seemingly unaffected expression, and knelt down. She had heard his description of his wound and was more than a little concerned. Glancing at the bandages the stranger was holding out, she was worried it wouldn't be enough. "Hello, sir. I'm a trained medic, do you mind if I take a look?" Although she had worked in the wilderness and along highways before, she had never had to work with so little and, though she didn't want to think about it, the idea of ripping out shrapnel and bandaging it up with no pain medication or antiseptic frightened her to death. But she felt it was her duty to do at least something, especially since everyone else was trying their best as well.

Roxy growled when she heard the woman outside. She wasnt sure were she was trapped. It was too dark to see. She felt the seat behind her and metal around her. That didnt help her at all. "This is what I get for obeying the rules." She wouldn't be in this mess if she hadn't fastened her seatbelt. She had only fastened the stupid thing because the flight attendant had continued to harp at her until she had fastened it. "If I see that fight attendant I am going to stab her with my knife." It wasnt an idol threat. She would use the knife she had on her to show the woman just what she thought of her stupid rules.

Getting the knife through security had been easier then she had thougth it would be. All she had had to do was find a knife that wasnt made of metal. She refused to go anywhere without something to protect herself. She had hunted until she had found one that she could get through airport security. She understood why they had the rules they had. But that didnt mean that she was going to go without her protection. She had learned young to always be prepare.

Unfortanately the preparation hadnt helped her in this situation. She was still trapped. She used her knife to cut the seatbelt but that only allowed her move around more. But that wasnt enough for her to get out of where she was. She had been by the door. Was it the door that trapped her. She cursed not having her phone so she could see what was around her. But she hadnt thought she would need it so she had put in her bag in the overhead which might be right above her.

Feeling was first to return to Astor. Sand pressed against her cheek and the exposed flesh of her left arm, warm, gritty, and not entirely unpleasant. For a moment, she didn't question why she was laying on her side in the sand; she didn't care to, not when the only thing she minded was the loveliness of the sand's heat as it pressed into her skin, and in her daze, she wanted nothing more than to bask in its comfort. But her serenity was short-lived.

"Attention, passengers, this is your pilot speaking. We are experiencing a bit of turbulence, so please fasten your seatbelts and put your trays in their upright and locked position."

The memory was ghostly, almost distant. She furrowed her brows, eyes still closed.

"I apologize for the incon--" Everything came back in a rush -- the hard blow, the deafening screaming of wind and people alike, the cries for God, the plummet to the ground. The sounds of the chaos unfolding around her -- people yelling for their loved ones, sobbing, and people rushing to the aid of the wounded -- registered in her ears. A fresh wave of fear washed over her. Her eyes shot open, and as she tried to scramble to her feet, white-hot pain surged through the left side of her body. Collapsing back onto her side with a grunt, she felt panic grip at her throat. Every intake of air tasted like smoke and death. "Oh, fuck," she breathed shakily through clenched teeth. "Fuck, fuck."

Breathe, God damn it. Breathe! Squeezing her eyes shut, Astor tried to focus on her heartbeat. With a wince, she rolled onto her back, all the while trying her damnedest to huff in deep, steady breaths. Breathe, just breathe. Each breath settled her nerves some, but she was all too aware of the feeling of something soaking through the back of her shirt.

She looked to her right. Every bit of calmness she regained dissipated. In a heap of twisted limbs laid the woman who sat next to her on the plane, face frozen in terror from the moment she knew she was going to die. Blood leaked from the gash that ran from her neck to the left side of her chest, staining the sand red as it pooled beneath her lifeless form -- and Astor.

Gasping, she launched to her feet and doubled over, too sick to mind the pain in her collarbone and skull. She dry heaved, again and again and again, until her eyes welled with tears and her chest ached. "Fucking shit," she cursed. Panting, she took a moment to collect herself, keeping her gaze locked on the ground to avoid stealing a glance at the woman's mangled corpse. She needed to assess her injuries. When she mustered up enough courage, she brought a hand to her collarbone. Her fingertips skimmed the surface until they met with a bump, a pained hiss snaking through her teeth as she withdrew her hand. Fuck, is it broken? She chewed on the inside of her cheek. Anywhere else? Bringing the same hand up, she ran it over her face, only to have it come away sticky with blood. Okay, head's bleeding. Great. She could treat her head, but her collarbone was another thing entirely. Get help. I need to get help for my collarbone.

Straightening, she dared a look at the carnage around her. Her eyes latched onto a group of people, one of which seemed to be helping an injured man with shrapnel in his shoulder, and she debated on whether or not to approach. She seems busy. With a shake of her head and an exhale, she started off toward them. She swallowed the ball of anxiety building in her throat and stopped a few feet away from the group.

"Ma'am?" she asked the kneeling brown-haired woman. Her voice came out weaker than she hoped, and she cleared her throat. "I hate to bother you, especially after all this shit's happened, but would you mind taking a look at my collarbone in a bit? Thing hurts like a son of a bitch." She glanced at the others, chewing on the inside of her cheek as her eyes returned to the kneeling woman. "I mean, I can help in the meantime?" Or try.

Alex did not like the fact that more people were approaching him. His shoulder did not hurt, but everyone wanted to fix it. He acknowledged that perhaps it was not totally a hundred percent healthy to have a piece of metal lodged in his shoulder, but he felt like the overall set of priorities were not properly set. He gave in after another woman came by, clearly in need of help. He looked at the woman who claimed to be an EMT and, without showing any sign of frustration, fear, or pain, gestured to the arm.
"Yes, fine, take a look if you must."

Out of the corner of her ear, Chloe-Jane heard someone else not too far away cursing. She glanced over- was that the person she had been looking for? No- she seemed to be much further away than a voice trapped would have come from. She watched her for a moment as she checked herself over and it seemed that something was wrong with her clavicle. That wasn't exactly vital, and she seemed mobile- in fact she headed back toward the guy who had done CPR before. A squint told her that there were a few more people over with him now. Hopefully she'd be alright. For now though, she peeled her ears more and scanned, panting and feeling weaker by the moment, but able to keep going despite it.

The smoke from the plane, somehow still on fire, though not up in the blaze of glory it had once been, billowed and blanketed through this fringe area of jungle. It stung Chloe-Jane's already stung eyes and each time she coughed, she felt her whole body ache. Her neck felt like it was getting stiffer. Rubbing a hand on it and trying to roll her head and stretch it, she crouched down for a moment, resting her elbows on her knees and teetering gently. She just wanted some clean air and a good breeze. The sound of fire crackling in the distance began to fade into the sound of leaves rustling in a jungle that couldn't care less about the invading human's lives. By now she could still see the water when she looked through the trees, maybe a bit of sand where the bushes spread, but she couldn't see the people or hear anyone.

That was until there was some metalic movement. It sounded like something or someone was moving around. Chloe-Jane's head shot up and she searched. There was a bit of plane tail, some seats, a few bodies... luggage, an air mask caught on a branch, a door- the door! That had to be it. It was large and crushed a bit. Standing carefully, she hurried over to it and looked through the window. It was dark, but if she wasn't mistaken, she could see the change in darkness that might constitute movement. This person must be wearing something dark- it seemed like just pure darkeness. Had they not been moving, she probably would never have noticed for the camoflauge.

"Oy!" Chloe-Jane called, rapping the ball of her hand on the plastic, trying to see if she could hear, if she was still conscious and able to speak, "Can you hear me?"

Bernadette turned to the weak voice of a woman, whose head was bleeding and there was a large bruise on her collarbone, indicating a fracture or something of the sort. "Please, sit down," she said to the woman, gesturing to the sand next to her. "Tell me what hurts and how badly on a scale from 1 to 10." She looked at the stranger with the bandages. "Do you mind wrapping a few bandages around the cut on her head? Wrap it tight enough that it will stop the bleeding but not enough to hurt her." She then looked back to the man with the shrapnel. "You don't seem very affected by this." Gently she touched around the piece of metal and clicked her tongue. "You were right, this is rather deep. I'm going to need something the cauterize the wound. Can someone make a small fire and maybe find a metal blade or something?" She was worried about the amount of bleeding that would occur when the shrapnel was pulled out, but also for the woman with the broken collarbone. There hadn't been time to examine it but it did not look good. Oh, I wish this hadn't happened. I wish we had landed and I had gone home to Mother. Then I would be the one being taken care of, not the other way around. But instead of being in New York at her parents' grand estate, where she had been heading to visit at her mother's demand, she was now barefoot attempting to help these people with just a few bandages and her two hands. The thought was enough to bring back her splitting headache.

Astor nodded and did as she was told, taking care to keep her left arm still as she sat. She stole a glance at the man with shrapnel lodged in his shoulder, and couldn't help but cock a brow. She couldn't decide whether his apathy for the piece of metal stuck in his skin was admirable or concerning, but she didn't have time to make up her mind before the brown-haired woman spoke. "An eight, maybe," she answered. Astor watched the woman ask another to wrap up her head, and she almost opened her mouth to insist she didn't have to. Instead, she pursed her lips, then forced a soft smile. "Thank you," she said. "For doing all... this."

@CasmiRari

The longer she was trapped the more pissed she got. This was just her fucking luck. She felt ground underneather once she got herself free. Which meant that she wasn't completely trapped. She just needed to dug her way out. She growled when she got to heard someone knock on the window. She flipped the person off before answering. "I can hear you. Get me the fuck out of here before I before I hurt you." Yea threatening her rescuer probably wasnt the smartest thing to do. But she was pissed off and not thinking. She meant it though. She would hurt the woman if she didnt get out fast she was going to lose it.

She pounded on the window in case the woman couldnt hear her. She wanted out of the small space and she wanted out now. She felt ment chair and sand. Sand was the easiest to deal with but it would take time. Time she didnt want waste. She didnt handle enclosed spaces well. She was losing what little people skills she had. Memories rushed at her. Things she didnt want to think about threatened to take over. She wouldnt go back even mentally.

For better or worse, the woman was responsive. Chloe-Jane pulled back as though there wasn't a clear plastic barrier between her face and the finger that was thrust at her, and she blinked, feeling a mix of confusion and adgitated disbelief. How rude of the woman, also her threat made no sense, at least not to the free woman. How was she going to hurt her if she needed help getting out? But no time for that figured. She decided, for the time being, to chalk it up to panic, frusteration, and possibly head trauma. It wasn't like she hadn't dealt with unrighteously indignant people before- half of her work was in customer service. She really needed to change jobs.

Knowing this wasn't the time to be thinking about that and pushing it from her mind, Chloe-Jane huffed quietly to herself. It wasn't like she could just leave the woman in there- that wouldn't be right, even after the way she'd been treated. It hadn't been bad enough to warrent a death sentence or even as much suffering as it would be to let the woman figure out her own way free. No, she had to do something- that's what she'd come for anyway. Looking around, She saw some plane debris- it looked like a bit of crooked metal. Perfect. Grabbing her makeshift crowbar, she thrust it with a strong blow at a part of the door where she could gain purchase. She had to bang three times before it got securely in and she started to pull.

Her muscles were all but spent and they were trying to tell her so but being the outdoorsman and work-out 'guru' that she was, she ignored them all and pushed them on. Shaking arms began to inch the door more and more open, creating a small hole at first. Resituating her grip and turning her body, she used the torque of her torso to pull further, trying to be carefull not to incur any injuries of her own until finally she snapped the latch and the door popped free of it's frame, swivelling crookedly open and throw Chloe-Jane a few stumbling steps away. She dropped the crowbar and clenched her fists, flexing all her muscles as best she could. Though could feel her arms still shaking she shook them out and turned around,

"Are you injured?" She asked.

@KatherinWinter

"An eight, maybe."

That was not a good sign, and Bernadette pivoted herself away from the seemingly unaffected man with the shrapnel to the woman, who had just become more important pain-wise. "Okay, that's not so bad," she lied, beginning to look the woman over.

"Thank you for doing all... this."

Bernadette was a little shocked, but the words warmed her heart and gave her confidence in her decisions. "Of course. It's my job, you know. I volunteer in a local ambulance corps where I live, so I like to help people, but I rarely get a thanks back." She smiled at the woman. "You're going to be okay. I promise."

She looked around a pursed her lips. "You need a sling and a swath, both of which are easily made, as well as a splint to hold your shoulders back. This will help the collarbone heal correctly. I just need to find an empty backpack..." Bernadette bit her lip, not wanting to leave the woman who was already in so much pain to scavenge the beach looking for a backpack to use. Her hair had come undone again and she pushed it carelessly away with one hand, making a small bloodstain on her cheek. She looked positively ghastly, she almost laughed at the thought of her parents or fiancee finding her barbaric-looking and unrecognizable.

@CasmiRari
Roxy pounded on what she assumed was the door when she saw the woman return with a piece of metal. The woman looked exhausted but Roxy couldn't bring herself to care. She needed out of this place now. She watched the woman strain to get the door open.

As soon as the door popped open Roxy stormed out. "If I see that stewardess I am going to stab her." She growled as she stormed past het rescuer. "It's about fucking time you got around to rescuing me. Are you the dipstick that was here earlier? The one that was with that winning bitch? What was her problem anyway? Was she the stewardess?"

Roxy kind of hoped the woman she had heard wailing was the stewardest. That way she could show the woman exactly what she thought of her stupid rules. "I'll show her what I think of her rules. Look what good they did us! Where the hell are we!" She demanded. She looked around at the distruction.

"You need a sling and a swath, both of which are easily made, as well as a splint to hold your shoulders back. This will help the collarbone heal correctly. I just need to find an empty backpack..."
David had been kneeling and observing as more and more people began to circle them. This wasn't good for the Asian boy. David remembered picking up on his mental illness on the plane. With the amount of people circling him, there was no way to tell if his stress levels would rise and cause this to be a bigger issue. First, the brunette and her friend had walked over, beginning to help the Asian boy with his shoulder. It was obvious that she worked in the medical field, an interesting similarity they both shared. After them, another brunette woman with longer hair approached, holding her shoulder and beckoning to the medical woman for help. It was pretty apparent that something was wrong with her collarbone. It had already begun to swell and become discolored. They needed to act fast, and seeing as the medical woman was already busy with the boy, he decided he should step up to help.
"I also use to be an EMT," he told the group. "I can continue with her if you want to help the boy."
With that, David stepped through the crowd, closer to the longer haired brunette.
"Would you mind if I take a look?" David asked, motioning his head towards her collarbone.

Chloe-Jane's head pulled back behind her shoulders, as she took a couple of steps back while the woman ranted. Well, she supposed anyone might be testy after being stuck trapped like that for... well who knew? She still wasn't even sure how long she'd been knocked out on the ground like a dead woman herself. In fact, she hadn't looked over herself properly yet. Somehow, she didn't want to, and she ignored it about twice as well as she was drifting in and out of the dark clothed woman's angry venting. She had to take a knee, that door had taken more from her than she thought it had. Still, she at least had the energy to respond.

"I dunno where we are, I don't think anyone does." She said once the woman was through, "I think most of the crew is dead- I haven't seen any walking around. I assume none of them were able to get anywhere safe before... before everything started down. The woman with me wasn't part of the crew, she was just someone looking for her son. She though he was already dead." She decided to leave out the detail of the boy's ultimate fate- didn't want to give this woman before her anymore fodder with which to be hurtful, even if those who would be hurt weren't around to hear it, "Anyway, most people are that way- most of the one's I've seen anyway. There's a couple people who are helping with injuries. I think you should go see them- sometimes we don't know we're hurt because of the adrenaline and all." She got back up, looking and gesturing with a jerk of her head toward where she was directing this new woman.

Turning right after, Chloe-Jane decided to go a bit around. Honestly, she was sure she was going to throw up any moment, and she was scared she had a concussion. She couldn't see her own pupils to see if one of them was oddly dialated, and there were no MRI machines here, so she couldn't tell for sure, but if she was, all she had to do was not fall asleep she figured. No need to bug the de facto medics who obviously had a lot bigger problems to deal with. Instead she decided to run out her strength looking for anyone else who was trapped. There might be a few more out there like this one and maybe more in need of assistance. Maybe she could find something to wrap up this gaping wound on her head too. The head was a notoriously free flowing bleeding site.

@KatherinWinter

"I'll get it," Sun cut in suddenly, eyes flickering from each face, though her gaze went on acknowledged as many wounds were being assessed. "The backpack, I mean."

Anything to just get me away from all this.

"If there isn't something floating around right on the shoreline, maybe content in the plane is salvageable," she spoke with a lilting voice, her pitch raising and falling as others held conversations. Her explanation wasn't really meant to be heard, it sounded like she was reconsidering her offer the entire time she spoke, but, naturally she saw it as an opportunity to get away from this group yet still contribute. All she saw looking at these people was responsibility, and she knew she had nothing to offer as far as medical expertise went, considering she had zero. "Anyone wanna come with me? nothatsashamewellillgobymyself!"

"Maybe I can, um," She swallowed, sliding out of the gathered circle, speaking to herself now as the lack of confidence kicked in, "find something for warmth, figure out where we'll sleep - the sun will go down soon, and we don't have food - oh my God I am literally quoting worries voiced by movie characters, what am I doing, what am I doing, this sand is hot, I am so hungry - " She hummed her concerns as she left the accumulation of strangers, attempting not to slip and slide along the wet sands in her boots.

There was a considerable amount of distance between herself and the others when that dull throb began to pulsate. Peering over her shoulder to make sure no one noticed her, she knelt down again, attempting to wash away a bit of new blood, her grunts of pain silenced as the waves crashed not too far from her. "I should have told them about my leg, but I didn't want to worry anyone, the guy has part of the plane in his freaking arm. It was just glass, I think I got it all out, I can do this," After kneeling to where the water to wash off her scalp, therefore cleansing her of all crimson, she pushed off the ground again, this time wiping at the hot tears streaming down her face - it was just from the pain, though. Sun was not reacting to the severity of the situation, either I'm handling this exceptionally well or I'll crack before sundown. I would be analyzing this right now.

Along the divide where beige grains merged into a cerulean liquid, there were few things that could be used at all, let alone to aid injured people. She found a cell phone, cursing as she shook it and water spilled out from the inside - the thing was totaled. There were some articles of clothing she managed to pick up, soaked but manageable. No bags, some bobbing luggage farther out that she could attempt, lots of sharp things and new slices on the balls of her feet. "Screw this," She huffed, hand over her eyes as the sun threatened to blind her. "Okay, Jesus, this was fun but I'm done, send the search boats already," farther down the line was just more junk entangled in seaweed, and Sun was not about to let another cluster of crabs pinch her on her way to inspect garbage. So she turned, tying her long locks in a way that'd craft a bun as she retraced her steps to the wreckage. "What am I going to do about all these people, God? I can't help them. And what if they leave me behind? What if I get back and they're not there? What if one of them dies? Don't tell me the plane crash is just another test..."

As Sonny expressed her concerns quietly to herself, she could hear trees being scraped against and leaves being trampled behind her. This sound didn't sound human. The speed at which it approached matched that of top Olympic sprinters, and the deep, jagged breaths seemed lower pitched than anything she had heard before. The noise grew louder, and louder, and LOUDER -- until whatever it was stopped along the tree line, out of sight. She could feel something watching her, and watching her closely.

Alex took a moment to analyze the situation. For a brief moment, the attention was not on him, the woman (Who Alex differentiated from the others as the one who sang finely, he would have to compliment her on that eventually) had gone off to search through things he thought were trash. The man who smiled was helping the girl who had came by in need of help, the EMT lady was doing the same, though that seemed to only be happening for a matter of seconds as the man who smiled was going to take her place. The older man with the bandages was also distracted by the new woman, he added thanking her to his to do list.
With no one looking at him, he began to think. He did not want them looking at him again. He did not want to search through trash. He did not want to jump into the water. His shoulder did not hurt. Quietly, as to not draw any attention, he stood up, and walked into the jungle. He wondered what that meant.

Astor loosed a sigh of relief through her nostrils, shooting the woman who was helping a small smile. Although the healing process was still going to be a pain in the ass, she took some sense of comfort in being told she'd be fine. Eventually. Some part of her hoped she'd be home before then.

"I also use to be an EMT. I can continue with her if you want to help the boy."

Her gaze snapped to the voice's source, an approaching man weaving his way through the crowd to stop in front of her. "Would you mind if I take a look?"

Guess we're lucky the plane went down with two live EMTs, at least. While the thought almost summoned a dry, bitter laugh from her throat, it instead made her stomach churn. Nothing lucky about a plane crash. She furrowed her brow and shoved aside the thought the best she could manage, her attention returning to the man in front of her. Balling her hands at her sides, she shook her head.

"Ah, no. No, go ahead," she told him.

"Ah, no. No, go ahead,"
He flashed a warm smile to her as he lightly felt around her collarbone, trying to locate the source of the issue.
"Sometimes, shoulder injuries can masquerade as issues with your collarbone," he began, hitting a spot along her collarbone that made her wince. "However, this IS a collarbone issue. I hate to say it, but it is broken. Unfortunately, there isn't too much you can do about collarbone injuries, so let's get the sling started and start that healing process. That's all we can do right now. I'll keep an eye on you though."
With that, he flashed another friendly, charming smile, looking around for supplies to build a make shift splint.

Continuing to hum to herself, Sony let her thoughts clutter her mind 'till there was little room for current tension, though somehow in all of her analyzing she managed to find her way back to the wreckage, just outside of the audience of foliage which seemed to wave in greeting with the coming breeze. She felt silly for coming anywhere near the hunk of metal, considering she couldn't say for certain it wouldn't explode at any second; still, she couldn't return empty handed. Cautiously, she ducked her head and started inward, freezing as movement disturbed the greenery not too far from her.

Animals - big cats, crazy monkeys, warthogs - what if there are naked tribal people with spears? No, it's probably one of the others. Who am I kidding, this is no time for optimism, it's probably a raptor!

It was then that her insides gave a painful wheeze and she realized she hadn't been breathing, with a silent inhale she peered over her shoulder, expression comically serious. Reaching down on her better leg, she scooped up a stick, sighing at the pathetic choice of defense, and held it out in front of her, taking two steps forward and then swallowing, "Get out here! O-Or I'm gunna... hit you with this repeatedly!"

Status
Not open for further replies.