Stranded and Alone (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
David's head lay comfortably against the seat's head rest, eyes closed, contemplating his life leading up to this moment. How'd he get here? How did his life turn out so shitty? Little did he know, things were about to get a whole lot shittier. A defiant shift in the atmosphere shook the plane, making David open his eyes and scan his surroundings. The plane was beginning to shake more and more, causing the pilot to turn on the fasten seatbelt sign and attempt to speak to the entire plane. David fastened his seatbelt quickly while the pilot muttered out his words so hesitantly. Before the pilot could finish, a giant hole opened the side of the plane, creeping larger and larger until the giant, metallic contraption was split in two. Breathing masks dropped from the roof, but before David could reach his, the difference in pressure sucked the wind from his lungs, causing him to pass out.

"I need some help over here!"

"Shitshitshit there goes my LAPTOP!"

"Hey! HEY!"

"HELP! I'M TRAPPED!"
David's eyes opened slowly, revealing terrified screams, a splitting head ache, sharp pains along his shoulder, and white sand 10 feet below him. Upon orienting himself, he realized he was not only upside down in a tree, he was still in his plane seat. David looked to his left and right, only to find the cold body of the girl he had been sitting next to on the plane. She was dead. A large piece of shrapnel had split her head open, killing her instantly. He should have considered himself lucky, but after pondering for a moment, maybe she was the lucky one. David had seen much worse in his profession, so although the sight unsettled him, it had no lasting effect. The only thing that had kept him from falling to his death was the strong piece of leather secured around his waist.
"Bark! Bark!"

'What the hell?' David looked down at the ground once more, finding a Bernese Mountain Dog staring up at him, wagging its tail. The sight was almost too much for David to process.

8620157_f260.jpg

Was he hallucinating? What was a dog doing out here? Before he could even try to answer the many questions circling his mind, the large dog bolted further into the brush, disappearing from sight. The screams were getting louder from the beach. He needed to see what was happening and assess the damage. David reached for his belt release, painfully managing to click it open and fall down to the soft sand below. Although the sand was soft, his landing wasn't. He exclaimed a loud, pain filled yell as he slammed against the ground. David slowly rose to his feet, walking out of the brush and seeing just how fucked everything was.

There were two people trying to save a man, one girl screaming about her laptop, and another woman dragging a inconsolable mother onto shore, only to rush into the trees after another yell. The mother the woman had pulled ashore collapsed onto the beach, murmuring about her son lost somewhere out at sea. He couldn't tell if it was water that stained her cheek, or tears. David couldn't see anyone struggling out in the blue vastness -- or could he? It was then that David spotted a large metallic object floating 400 yards or so off shore. The piece of debris seemed to have someone floating on top of it, unconscious, but David couldn't tell. He would have to swim out and see for himself.

He quickly ran to the waters edge, down to where the young, blonde woman was yelling about her laptop. Once there, David began to strip down to just his jeans. Through his undressing, he addressed the woman.

"Someone is out there who needs help. Please, hold these."

It was apparent that he wasn't really asking as much as telling her. He threw his shirt into her lap, revealing his well toned body, only to move to his shoes and socks, yanking them off with force.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Someone is out there who needs help. Please, hold these."

Sonny had kept herself planted on the sand, uncaring of the salty water that spread over her legs, retreating with streaks of red from her chilled thigh, occasionally offering her a morsel of debris or seaweed. It ached, as did most every other part of her body, both from the crash and the adrenaline burst, yet in spite of that she sat in silence, occasionally peering up at the male not to far from her, who seemed about as tolerant of the situation as she was. Though, Sonny was oddly non responsive aside from the obligatory curse to the Gods for destroying the macbook she'd saved an entire year of her shit salary for. That was the start of her repression, deciding to focus on the computer instead of all the other dark clouds brewing in the back of her mind. With a huff, she brought her wet hands to her forehead, attempting to relieve her flushed face only to watch more crimson fade into the blue. "Ah, shit, come on," She pushed off the sands onto her feet, shakily backing up a little from the extending waterline. It was then that a struggle broke out amidst the waters not too far from her, two woman, one wailing frantically in search for what was obviously a loved one. As her chest tightened, Sonny pressed her hands to her ears, knowing she should help, but alas - Sonny can't swim.

"We'll get over it,
Sad, strong, safe, and sober,
We'll move forward,
And know where we went wrong,
But you can't go home again-" She sang to herself, her voice lilting as she backed away from the water line.

She stepped back, receding from the confrontation, though the moral tug to help had her standing awkwardly just at the waterline on the shore. That was when a presence whizzed past her, sending shocks of anxiety through her chest as she hadn't expected anyone else. Then the relief came, but when she opened her mouth to respond to his statement, he was stripping down and tossed his clothing at her, her mouth hanging open, expression dumbfounded. Naturally, though, she submitted, nodding despite her parted lips and the fading pain of anxiety like electricity in her veins. "Uhhhhhh yeah, okay, hold the... the... yeah, I can do that, no problem." She huffed and dropped down onto the ground, still a little taken aback but feeling relieved that she could shift the responsibilities and heroic deeds to someone else.

Alex looked up at the sky, this entire situation was shit. He didn't care, he must have transcended to a new level of anxiety where his entire being had just shut down. An explosion ripped through the air, sending a piece of shrapnel into his shoulder. Ah, he understood now, this was shock. Was this shock? Alex had written characters in shock before, and he had been praised for how well he had done it, but now that he stared, blinking, at the metal in his shoulder, he understood that the section was only sub-par. There were many things Alex did that Alex thought were sub-par. He sat up, breathing normally and looking around himself, his shoulder did not hurt.

A woman jumped into the water and then came out and went into the jungle, a man was going to jump into the water, Alex wondered if he would come out and go into the jungle. He thought about what that meant, going into the jungle that is, Alex was not going to jump into the water. Alex did not want to jump into the water. He stood up, his shoulder did not not hurt. He dragged himself to the waterfront to sit beside a woman who was holding a heap of clothes.
"Pretty amazing, what people can do. Probably amazing, what I could do, if I were a person." He said aloud but to nobody and in relation to no one. "Should we be afraid?" He said to the woman who had watched the man jump into the water and in relation to the plane crash.

Approached by the male that seemed more eerily calm than even she, Sun couldn't help but quirk a brow, still somehow shocked despite the current events. Gesturing to her own shoulder as if to encourage him to assess his own, she made a face, "You have a - you know - a little, giant piece of plane in your uh-" He sat down beside her, still not acknowledging his wound, so she faded, dropping her hands and then whimpering as she unintentionally whacked her gaping slice. "Owowow...Yeah. Okay......"

"Should we be afraid?"

In a weird way that question was a reliving distraction, because now she could analyze what was an appropriate reaction to their circumstances instead of actually acknowledging their circumstances, as well as how they could justify people jumping into oceans or the distant bark of a domesticated dog she couldn't possibly hearing, therefore hinting she was already likely to lose it. "That's a natural reaction." Then she tilted her head, "We could be optimistic and say some watch tower saw us go down and is sending helicopters to save us right now or we could make bets on who befriends all of the coconuts on the island." Despite her monotone response, she was making light to suppress, "I'll keep cracking jokes until I snap. I think that's kind of natural too."

"Uhhhhhh yeah, okay, hold the... the... yeah, I can do that, no problem."
The woman had a frightened, unsure, yet sweet tone in her voice. David was thankful for the help but had no time to convey this. He simply gave a nod to her before diving headfirst into the powerful ocean. The debris was far into the water. He knew that if he were to think of the distance, he would get discouraged, or at least, tired much quicker. Because of this, he put his head down, swimming furiously against the engulfing waves. After what seemed like hours, he had finally reached the debris. As David had deduced, there was a small child floating on top of the metal shrapnel. 'Kid must have climbed onto this before passing out,' David thought to himself. Why hadn't the mother or her savior seen him? After all, he was only a few hundred feet away from them. Eventually, as he slid the child off of the shrapnel into his arms, he chalked it up to panic and hysteria.

Carefully, David swam back with the child in one of his arms. The boy was light but could offer no help in keeping himself afloat. David had not checked his vitals, so he hoped that the child was simply knocked out and not dead. It took twice as long to haul the boy to the beach, but once there, he set him down carefully, checking for a pulse and any breathing.
"Damn," David whispered to himself. "He has a pulse, but he isn't breathing."

Alex watched as the man took the child in his hands, he wondered if the man would take the child into the jungle. He hoped not. He allowed what the woman had said to sink in. His shoulder did not hurt. He wondered if the child was okay, then he remembered that he was not okay, and that the woman was not okay. He wondered if things could be okay. He didn't think so. He looked at the wreckage and remembered that the pilots were definitely not okay.

I'll keep cracking jokes until I snap. I think that's kind of natural too.

He looked at her with a plain but slightly curious expression.
"Cracking jokes or snapping?"

"Damn, he has a pulse, but he isn't breathing."

The relief Sonny felt at the sight of the other familiar male was washed away as quickly as he displayed the drenched, limp child in his arms. Pressing her lips back together, she watched him bring the boy to the sands and attempt to find a pulse, mumbling about his lack of responsiveness which had Sun at a loss. She seemed to slink back into her shell, expression sullen and her large eyes still wide, but now with disturbance. She looked to the male beside her, who was in this weird aware yet contemplative state that was a little comforting to be honest. Almost like a chosen ignorance.

"Cracking jokes or snapping?" He asked her.

To which she replied, "I think the prior is a symptom of the latter."

"Can I..." Her voice came out as a squeak, before she piped up again. "Can I... help?" She finally asked the stranger with the child, her expression one of reluctance though she knew morally she couldn't just sit there.

"Can I...Can I help?"
It was at that moment, the boy's mother shot up from her trance like state and began to rush over to them.
"CARSON!"

Seeing the possible dangerousness of this situation, David looked at the girl sitting in the sand who had offered her help and beckoned to her.
"Hold her back! If she moves him or raises his stress levels in any way, he could die."
Trusting that she would follow his instructions, he turned his attention back on the boy, prepping for CPR.

She saw the relief in his eyes at her offer and immediately, her stomach wound like a dish rag, contracting and threaten to burst through her throat. The woman was closing distance between herself and the boy, wailing and acting understandably irrational, but this wasn't a moment where her observations were appropriate, and Sun found it so out of her comfort zone to physically wedge herself between conflict. "Miss, wait," She pushed off the sand, attempting to hold out her arms in front of the woman, "He isn't dead! You have to wait, he, he's not..." Sun swallowed her words, looking to the man several times with that same, swollen lower lip and big eyes she'd give her mother, waiting for the real adult to take the initiative. But he wasn't even looking at her, he was just focusing on the child, leaving Sonny alone to try and make rational a fear stricken, traumatized woman.

"THAT'S MY SON, DAMN YOU! MOVE!"

"Wait, please-"

"WAIT? HE'S DYING! He needs me!" She shoved at Sonny several times, who found herself growing considerably more emotional and the logical, stand back and observe the situation mentality was slipping away, leaving her to act irrationally.

After several attempts to talk over her screaming, Sonny barked viciously, slapping the stranger across the face with what little might she could muster standing with really only one good leg, before grabbing the closest debris and holding it up defensively, "GOD HELP ME if you scream over me one more time I will LODGE THIS INTO YOUR SKULL, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

Still panting, jaw clenched and her fists balled, the woman took a step back if only for a second, "Why won't you let me see my baby? Why would you threaten me?"

"I don't know what's happening but he told me that the kids unstable," By now Sonny was not breathing normally, taking in sharp breaths that seemed more strained, like hyperventilation. She clutched his shirt to her face, trying to avoid letting the situation sink in, she could suppress reality for a little while longer, she couldn't swallow it right now. Not now. "So just - just stand there - and let him to what he's doing - please, stop screaming."

Maybe this wasn't the one. Chloe-Jane bent her ear closer, crouching a bit, and just as she did, the sniffling behind her went suddenly and eerily quiet. Just as the young woman turned back to check on her decades older coumterpart, the mother ripped herself from Chloe-Jane's fist and pelted though the trees back to the beach, calling her son's name with a new energy and virve. Chloe-Jane hesitated for a moment, torn between the ward she had already taken on and this new person for whom she searched. The moment passed though, and recognizable danger in view took precidence.

Chloe-Jane, fighting a daze that was relentlessly trying to fog her faculties, turned and dashed after the woman, reaching for her clothing but not pulling her away as they neared the young boy. The blonde child did not look well. She gripped the back of the woman's stretched sweater tighter, looking to see what her reaction was. So far, the only thing she knew thus far was that the woman's emotional reactions to her son's well-being were moderately extreme. Perhaps she was a more level headed woman in calmer circumstances and thet'd all just caught her in the worst possible scenario. Whatever the case may be, she looked to the woman's expression for signs and found it more frantic than before and somewhat shifty and twitchy? Like someone aiming to bolt. She had seen such faces before under cherrier times. Quickly, she jumped before the woman with the one to whom the man helping the child had spoken to,

"Sir! Please look at the boys eyes- see what color they are if you see any birthmarks please take note!"

"Let me see my son!" The woman tried to shove by, "Carson!"

"What color are his eyes?"

"Wha- get out of the way! All of you!"

"What color are his eyes and does he have birthmarks?"
Chloe-Jane had to talk over the woman at first but she tried to keep her tone calm. Calm, but serious. The woman had not seemed relieved but anxious and skittish. Could be that she was still coaraing with Adrenaline, or that she thought she was the only one who could save him, but it could be she was confused, in denial, or worse.

"GOD HELP ME if you scream over me one more time I will LODGE THIS INTO YOUR SKULL, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"
David had been hard at work, doing what he had been taught in his one year in EMT training. He went through each step of CPR multiple times with no response from the child. 'Come on, breath damn it,' David said to himself. To be honest, he wasn't focused on the confrontation happening behind him. His focus was solely on the blonde boy. It wasn't until he heard the yells coming from the tree line that he perked up and took his eyes off of the child.
"Sir! Please look at the boys eyes- see what color they are if you see any birthmarks please take note!"
He was confused by the statement. Here he was, trying to save a child's life, and this random woman wanted to know what color were his eyes? It was an odd request. David went back to CPR while he responded to the woman.
"This really isn't the time to check on that! I'm trying to save his life!"

Unfortuneatly, so am I... Chloe-Jane thought to herself, but she did not ask again. If the boy didn't live then it wouldn't matter anyway. She stood firm between the woman and the boy, holding her ground and watching for any signs of squirrelly behavior. She thought about apologizing for yelling even though she was right there, but figured he needed to concentrate and so withheld for now. Until the child regained conciousness she remained silent, trying to stay strong despite the haze getting stronger. She hadn't noticed before going still, but concealed in her hair and presumeably what was already stained, she continued to steadily leak from that cut. She wanted to throw up too.

Archaeo watched as she began to work about the man's stomach. He looked away and then he felt the life ebb away from the man he was trying to help. He looked back to the woman and saw the look of sadness cross her face. He debated telling her that the man wasn't going to make it anyways, before tactfully deciding to keep his mouth shut. "No, no I didn't." He spoke with a small frown and assessed their situation.

"I don't think anyone's coming to help us." He admitted, still all too aware of the sheer absence of emergency responders. "Someone should have been here by now, right?" He asked just for the sake of asking. He couldn't keep his worries contained as he watched the scene unfold before him. He felt himself going lightheaded again from everything happening around him, and reminded himself to breathe. He grimaced as pain radiated from his arm once more.

He needed to come to grips with this situation now. The plane crashed. The reason for that was sheer irrelevance at this point. He was hurt, but functioning well enough to be of some use. He had his medications still, but if he kept freaking out over this situation, he was probably going to give himself a heart attack. There are too many injured people, and no sign of outside help. Which left it to him, the woman, and whoever else could get out of the daze. "There are other people who need help." He eventually spoke after his reality check. He needed to live in the present right now. Looking to the woman, he hoped that she could see where he was coming from with this. He was, admittably, terrified of the immediate future that faced them, but he needed to stay in motion. There were things that could be done.

It took several minutes of increasing suspense for David to work on the boy. Breathing into his lungs, pressing on his chest, trying to get a response. It didn't take long for the child to quickly exhale a few cups of blood and burst into tears, gasping violently for breath. David exhaled a hefty sigh, wiping the sweat from his brow and allowing a sense of relief to flood over him. Finally, a little light on their situation -- even if it wasn't much. The child immediately snapped his head to his right, scanning for his mother.

"MOM!"
The child then stood up on shaky legs and hobbled to his mom, who wrapped him in a heart felt hug. They cried together out of happiness of being reunited. David managed to smile, standing up and wiping the sand from his knees. He finally looked over towards the mixed race woman, catching his breath and putting his hands on his hips.
"Kid's eyes are brown; birth mark on the back of his neck."

"Okay-" Chloe-Jane nodded with a shrug, turning to head with some haste back into the jungle.

Not that it matters now- she thought as she went. For now she stepped over some high brush and disappeared from the beach, bending over with her hands to her knees, trying to catch her breath and keep herself from passing out. When she felt she had a grip, she stood, glancing behind her at the child- he was quite pale, had no oxygen for minutes, not to mention all the blood he coughed up meant he had to be bleeding internary somewhere and badly, but she wasn't going to be the doomsayer. The woman had her son for a few more hours if she was lucky. She ought to be able to spend it with him in whatever relief and bliss she could because with no ambulance or equipped medical professionals, that little boy was not not going to make it and there was nothing anyone could do.

That was a back burner bit for now though- she still needed to find whoever had been calling for help from before.

"Here-" Sun pushed the man's clothing to his chest - of which had a bit of smeared make up on the chest. The blonde was internally shaken from the confrontation, though even more notably unmoved by the family reunion. Of course she was relieved there hadn't been a death as tragic as that of a child's, mostly because she hadn't even endured a close death in her personal life and couldn't imagine how she'd deal with it - not well, in summary. "Thanks for doing that, I can't even swim, so," She spoke with an exhaustion in her voice, her heart pulsating in her throat - I could and should have handled that better, i.e. minus the death threat. "You think he's, uh," She watched the woman that'd been demanding the color of his eyes wander away from them with that same dumbfounded expression, why'd she go through all that just to leave? "-he'll be okay? Will any of us, is the least popular question."

She leaned in towards him nonchalantly, not so subtly directing her gaze from him, to the other male, trying to get the guy to acknowledge him. "He has a huge thing in his shoulder and won't do anything about it," Sun pressed her palms to her cheeks, overwhelmed.

"Thanks for doing that, I can't even swim, so,"
David continue smiling, deeply appreciating the thanks.
"It wasn't an issue. I'm sure you would have done the same thing if you could have."

"You think he's, uh, -- He'll be ok? Will any of us, is the least popular question."
David's face turned slightly sour. Losing so much blood and being without oxygen for minutes wasn't good. He knew the boy would die without medical treatment, and there was nothing they could do. He grabbed his shirt from her, slipped it over his head, and said in a hushed tone,
"I don't know."
He went through all the trouble to save him, and knowing he wasn't going to make it made him feel awful. 'Maybe I should have left him out there...would have been easier on everyone,' David thought to himself. But, almost immediately, he snapped out of that train of thought. It wasn't good to have that type of thinking. He dried his damp face with his shirt, returning his gaze to the blonde girl.
"He has a huge thing in his shoulder and won't do anything about it."
David finally brought his eyes to the piece of metal hanging out of the Asian boy's shoulder. It didn't look too serious, or deep, so he thought he would give some relief to the overwhelmed woman.
"I'll take a look," he told her in hushed tone. "By the way, my name is David."
He introduced himself as he walked towards the boy, still waiting for her introduce herself while also tending to the boy's injuries. he approached him slow, with a smirk on his face.
"Can I help with -- that," David said, casually pointing at the jarring metal shard embedded in his shoulder.

@R E I ; @Red crow

"I don't think anyone's coming to help us. Someone should have been here by now, right?"

Bernadette shook herself out of her initial shock and the auto-pilot politeness she could always fall back on. His works began to sink in and slowly she nodded. "If they haven't come now..." She began to think aloud and stopped herself, turning to the man with wide eyes. Her thoughts attempted to turn to the worst possible outcome: death, and how to get there. She forced those thoughts down and instead focused on the man's other question.

"There are other people who need help."

She understood what he was saying and she stood up quickly. "You're right. Other people where help can actually make a difference." Looking past the man she scanned the shore and noticed a man with a large piece of shrapnel coming out of his shoulder. Bernadette looked at the man beside her. "Do you suppose they need help?" she asked, noting the two figures standing near him.

Alex looked up to the man beside him, his expression remaining calm amongst the madness. Alex looked down at his shoulder, his shoulder did not hurt. The man was smiling, Alex was not smiling, he wasn't frowning either. Alex let out a sigh and looked back up to the man.
"Sure, here," he Said, offering the man his sleeve that did not have a shrapnel shaped hole in in. "If you could tear this off we can bandage it up. You'll need to be ready as soon as I pull it out or I'll bleed to death, I think." Alex said, not even a remote tinge of fear or pain in his voice. "It's hit something, It feels quite deep."
@RestlessComfort

"It looks like that other guy has it handled, but I think he'd appreciate some bandages." Archaeo replied as he opened up his suitcase and removed a small first aide kit. He also pulled out three large bottles of pills, tucking them into a pocket of his jacket. With his essentials taken out of the bag, he had no qualms leaving it behind. He walked over to the group at a brisk pace.

He kept his emotions bottled up and held back, his expression serious as he approached. He heard what the injured guy said and inwardly cringed. "I have some bandages here." He spoke up before any clothing got ripped. He hoped that the woman was right on his heels, because she seemed to be more of the expert here. He was outside of his element.

Status
Not open for further replies.