Simply never simple

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice looked at him with a are-you-mad look. "If you don't want my dad to run after you with a gun, then it's not a good idea. It's not like I am a saint or anything, I lie all the time to them and they have never found out about it. Not what they have told me about at least. Go and get your stuff while I prepare a great speach for moms arrival." She said and went in without letting him answer, she already knew exactly what she should do to make her mom melt. And if her dad already had kicked him out, would he then let him in to the house again? She wasn't certain at all. But the plan she had wasn't water proof either, what would she do if she couldn't convince them? Well, she wouldn't know before she tried.

She sighted and went up to her room to change her clothes before Alecander came back.

Alec watched her go inside and sighed. Walking away he took a longer road to get back to his den, giving him a chance to think over what had happened and examine his burned hand. It was blistering and threatening to pop. He would have to wrap it when he got back to his den. How could he have let her talk him into this? Sighing he slipped into the trees and then into his den where he started to pack up a few things. He wouldn't take everything with him--just his books, a few changes of clothes. The rest would be kept here should he not be welcome to stay at her house.

He was in the middle of packing his things up when felt something happening somewhere in town. It wasn't from Alice, that he was sure of for the bond didn't cry out to him--but it was magic nonetheless. He rushed outside and almost got thrown back into the cave by the gust of air that had joined the air. The next time he stepped outside there was snow and sleet falling around him. This wasn't Alice's magic but that of a different persons. His body shuddered at the feeling. It was someone with a lot less control than Alice, which was saying that he or she had never even tried to control the elements they had control over.

He didn't wait, he grabbed his bag and made a headlong dash out into the freezing cold. It took twice as long for him to get to Alice's house than he'd thought because he had to stop several times to check his body for any new scraps. By the time he made it to the house, he truly looked like a homeless teenager that had been left out in the cold. His fingers were frozen in the shape that he'd formed them--one around the strap of his bag, the other in a fist in his pocket. He didn't have his jacket either. His nose was slowly turning blue and his eyes were red and blurry from trying not to weep each time a new cut opened up on his unprotected face and arms.

He stumbled up the steps and banged on the door. "Alice," he groaned, "Miss Alice, please let me in. Please." Even if she couldn't hear the verbal words, he hoped that his bond would alert her that he was there and it was him banging on the door.

Alice fast changed her clothes, her window was opened and she could feel the autumn breeze blowing in on her. It was cold, but not to cold, it would probably take some more weeks before she couldn't have the window open anymore for the year. Once she had changed in to knew clothes and were about to close the window when she saw that it was snowing. How could it be snowing? It should be at least a month untill the first snow would fall. It was to warm in the air for snow to be able to fall now, how could the air have gotten so cold so fast?

Alice closed the window and stood in her room just looking out on the snow falling down, it should have melted once it hit the ground but it didn't. Everything slowly got turned white outside, even if it was beautiful it didn't make any sense. Alice thoughts got interupted by a loud noise, someone was banging on the door. Why would someone bang on the door like that? Could it be Alecander? Even if it was a big chance that it was Erik something inside her told her that it wasn't. She ran down the stairs while shouting to her dad that she would open the door, just in case he thought of opening it.

She threw the door open and saw Alecander standing there. "Why are you banging on the door like if the world was about to end?" She asked before noticing how he looked. "You're going to freeze to death if you are out like that, why didn't you take your jacket?" She asked and pulled him inside the room and closed the door.

Alec was shuddering when she pulled him inside. "I had to get back. I had to make sure you were all right. That isn't natural; it's magic." he said as he stumbled out of the way of the door. "And I think I left my jacket under the bridge." He really, honestly couldn't remember what had happened to his jacket. He would just have to find a way to get a new one. He closed his eyes and focused on being warm. The warmth of the house was slowly eating away at his frozen body, but it wasn't working quickly enough for him. "Someone brought this storm around. T-they have no control whatsoever." He was trying to move his hand and was biting his bottom lip to keep from crying out as the pain of moving frozen muscles rammed into his mind.

He was so wishing she had a better control on her fire right now, though it would have been stupid to ask her to do anything after she had told him no when she'd found out about his wounded hand.

It was at that point that her father exited his study, drawn out by the snow and the noise in the hallway. "Alice," he said warningly, glaring at the boy who was trying to move his hands.

Alice tried to make sence of what he was saying but she couldn't understand what he meant. "What are you talk.." In the middle of her sentence she got interrupted by her father comming down the stairs. She looked at her father half shocked, she should have known he would come out when it would be such a ruckus. "Papa, I can explain. He's a classmate, we are doing a project together." She tried to explain to him but his glare just became more angry.

Her father walked down the stairs towards them, holding his stare on Alecander. Alice noticed that her father wanted to scream a lot of things to Alecander and throw him out, but he probably didn't know where to start. "How can you take a boy in to this house" he screamed, even if he still looked at Alecander. "I want him out of here" He continued.

Alice took a deep breath and tried to reasoning with him but he wouldn't listen to anything she had to say. She couldn't let him throw Alecander out in the cold, but what could she do to stop him if he decided to do it. To make Alecander wait outside in the cold untill her mom came home, that would be really cruel.

During their argument, Alec had gotten his hands to thaw a little and put a light, almost unseen hand on Alice's elbow before stepping forward and hold out a hand to her father to shake or slap away, whatever he desired. "Sir, I understand that this is an inconvincence. I am horribly sorry to just barge in here without making arrangements, suitable arrangements, before hand. My name is Alecander Trival, and it is an honor to meet you. Miss Alice here speaks very highly of you and warned me that I should wait until she had warned you of my arrival before showing up to work on our history project. The problem is sir, if I may be so frank, that the sudden storm caught me unprepared and the only place I could think of to hide form its hatred was here. I mean, the forecast called for a light windy day today, not a snow storm so I left all my heavier clothing back in, well, in the place I've been staying. Please, I'll only be in your hair for maybe an hour, or two tops."

Each word he spoke was calm, decent and polite. His eyes and face were open and friendly. A small, helpless smile was on his lips. It was similar to the look he had given to the girls at the lunch table only this one was intently interested. He didn't think that the father would like a young man that was too childlike. And anyway, he liked saving that behavior for Alice's eyes only. He could, should the father not agree, stay out somewhere in wolf form. There was little else he could do. He didn't want Alice in any trouble. "But I suppose, if you truly want me to leave sir, there isn't anything I can do about it. Miss Alice and I can always work on our project some other time when the weather isn't as freakish."

Alice looked at Alecander with her eyes wideopened and her chin down at her knees, who was the guy standing in front of her? She got woken up from her trance like state when he said miss alice again. It almost made her scream that he must stop call her miss, but remembered just in time that her dad was there. "Papa" She said in a irritated and begging tone to him, and prepared herself to give him a disappointed puppy look if he wouldn't agree. That maybe would stop him.

Her dad looked at Alecander for a moment, examinating him from top to toe with his eyes. Then he sighted deeply "He will be out of here as fast as you are finnished." He said pointing at Alecander, then he went up the stairs again while he murmured things that Alice couldn't hear, but it was probably a lot of curses.

She looked at Alecander and sighted in relief. "Gosh, I really thought that he would throw you out threw a window." She said and laughed a bit, then remembering that he were going on about something before. "What was it you said before? Something about magic." She asked and looked at him. She hadn't understood anything of what he had tried to tell her before.

Alec had let his hand drop back down to his side and continued to appear to be the 'polite boy next door type' until her father could no longer be seen or heard. "I save that act for people that don't take to me," he said the child-like grin and demeanor appearing once more on his face. When she asked about the magic, he got a serious look on his face and looked at the front door. "Mind getting me away from this door in case someone opens it and I get attacked by the cold again? We may be part animal, but familiars get colds and flu's just like any other normal human."

He could already felt the beginnings of one such cold falling over him though he refused to admit it to the girl here.

She blinked a couple of times before getting what he was talking about. "Oh, sorry! Come this way" She said and walked up the stairs. Her room was very close to her dads working room which made her a bit nervous if he would try to listen to their conversation. But she could always put on some music, then he wouldn't hear them.

She went in to her room, when she gave the room a good look it looked so plain to her, was it because this was the first time a guy would come in to her room? But Alecander had been in there before, but that was in the middle of the night. She tried to throw away those ridiculous thoughts and went to the litle radio on her drawer, turning up the volume enough so no one would hear them talking. Then she threw her sheet on Alecander so he could warm himself up.

"So what was it you were talking about before?" She asked, both a bit irritated and curious.

Alec moved after her and slowly began to defrost with a grateful sigh. He hugged the sheet tightly around him and sat in the middle of the floor, his eyes closing as he focused on getting cold. As he focused, his ears slowly peaked out and then his tail. Both were bristled as fat as they could get to protect themselves from the cold. When he wasn't so focused on the cold, he looked up at Alice and smiled. "This ain't a real snow. This is a witch or wizard playing with their powers for fun because they like the lack of control they have over it. Familiars, we can sense when magic is being done around us. We don't know who it is or where they are, we just know when an element is being used in a twenty mile radius. My father thought that it was so that fellow witch or wizards can find one another back when there weren't automobiles and the like, though we never really know why," he said, completely and utterly serious with no hint of the child-like personality he normally held for her.

"This person is playing a deadly game. The way they are using it, if they don't control it soon, they'll freeze the town to death. If you reach out with your magic you could feel the earth start to wither most like. The four elements. They co-exist and when one is taking over, like the water that has been frozen and thrown into the air to form this storm, it starts killing off the others," He said, his eyes darkening. "This is why control over your elements is so important Alice. If you let them win over the other two elements then you will as much be responsible as the element is. Whoever is doing this storm, they don't deserve to call themselves a witch or wizard."

Alice looked terrified at Alecander, another wizard or witch? Her hand searched after the bedside so she wouldn't fall, she was able to find it just before her legs collapsed under her. Sitting down on the bed she stared at a point in the wall, her mind had gone almost completely blank, the words wizard and witch was repeating themselves in her head. What was going on? She had just heard that she probably never would meet another wizard or witch and now there was one this close that couldn't controll her or his powers. She looked at Alecander again.

"What should we do?" She asked, even if she probably already knew what the answer would be. She was certain it had something do to with her using her powers, and she really didn't want that.

"Sit and wait the storm out. Witches and wizards don't have unlimited powers. The moment she or he starts to lost theirs, the storm'll either cease or lessen," he said closing his eyes and pulling the sheet closer. "then I'll try my best to locate their familiar and talk some senses into them. If that doesn't work I'll try and find the witch or wizard and kick some sense into them."

He did not like the idea of what he might have to do if he couldn't. He should take Alice with him, his instincts said. She had fire and earth, both of which used together could defeat a mage with water powers. But his wolf side that had dedicated itself to her and her protection wouldn't allow it. "You just need to stay inside and not use your powers as much as possible. There hasn't been a rouge mage in a century. He killed almost three towns before he was stopped. He was an earth user and let the earth literally eat the people and other elements."

Alice almost wanted to sight in relief but she stopped herself, so she didn't have to use her powers, that was a good thing. But she didn't like that Alecander maybe would get in to a fight, and what if this wizard or witch would try to hurt him with his or hers powers? "I'm going with you" She said, it sounded more like an order than a sugestion. "Even if you tell me to stay here, I wont let you go alone. I'm comming with you." Alice wouldn't let him go alone no matter what, if it became dangerous then maybe she could help somehow. She didn't know how to control her powers but she maybe could figure something out, and two was better than one.

She looked at him, piercing him with her gaze. If he didn't let her come with him then he wouldn't leave this house either, that was one thing that she was certain off.

Her tone sparked something in him. For the first time since meeting her he waned to argue; wanted to tell her that there was no way he would put her in danger when he'd worked so hard to get her to trust him. His ears were standing straight up as if listening to someone that was threatening him. As a wolf he may have started to growl, but instead he lowered his gaze submissively and looked at his hands which had clenched into fists.

"Then will you promise to stay out of sight unless I really need your help?" he asked, turning blue-black eyes up to search her face like a pup looking up to get a forgiving pat on the head. "I don't--I can't let you get hurt. I won't let you. It'd--It'd hurt too much. It already hurts too much when I was sleeping in the den two miles away. It felt like my insides were being pulled out. I don't want to imagine what it would feel like if you were hurt because I couldn't protect you. The bond hurts every time I'm away from you." He didn't blush though he knew that in any other situation he would have been a bright red. His face was serious. "You are lucky Alice that you don't feel it. I'm connected to you until you finish your training."

Alice watched Alecander as he spoke so seriously to her, she had never seen him so direct. "How was I supposed to know about that if you didn't tell me about it." She muttered "if it hurts so much why did you want to be in the den when I told you to come to my place?" she kept muttering. His actions didn't make any sense to her, why didn't he just accept to live at her place from the beginning if the bond made it hurt so much?

"Fine, I'll stay out of the way and if you need help then you'll tell me." Alice said a bit worried that he would hide it like he had done with his wound.

"I didn't tell you because I felt on cloud nine when you got nearer. Every time you left my side, I couldn't wait for you to return because you brought a peaceful and amazing feeling with you that made the pain go away instantly. It was worth sleeping in a den to get to feel that feeling this morning an then after school. I-I guess I just wanted that pleasure never to stop. I guess I'm rather self-destructive." Alec said, trying to explain the feeling of pure heaven he got when she returned to his side after the pain had set in. It wasn't right for a familiar to be telling their witch about this. In a way it was their own training for when the witch finished their training. No one had ever said the vanishing was easy on the body.

"I would feel better, Alice, if you wouldn't come with me, but if you so desire it, you may accompany me," he said, his head bowing as he hunched under the blankets. He was almost 100% covered by the thing now, only the tips of his ears poking out the top and his black-blue eyes staring out at her. "Alice, I- Familiars aren't- We aren't..." He paused, trying to find the words, and failing. He only cast his eyes about after stopping, trying to find something other than the current topic to talk about, but without success.

Alice started to blush as he explained, even though she knew it wasn't like that, it was just the bond that made him feel like that. He didn't have any feelings for her personaly. She looked down in the floor. "I should have known you were a masochist." She said, trying to joke the topic away. But of some reason she wanted to go deeper in to the topic, ask him about it. First she wanted to let it go, but she felt like she needed to ask. "What aren't familiars?" She asked, not liking that he didn't finnish his sentence. Was he hiding something? Except himself in the blankets.

Alecander looked at the floor for a few moments, grasping at straws before sighing. "We aren't supposed to feel like that. We, we aren't supposed to be so attached to our witch because we know the moment that they finish their training we," he hesitated. She would find out eventually. Could he keep it a secret, should he? In the end he couldn't--he didn't want her to stop training even if it meant he'd stay around longer, "we can no longer be in the life of the witch or wizard. To feel so much love for your presence it's almost taboo. I don't regret it. You are a wonderful woman i have no doubts about that. What I regret is--is that even if I feel this way it would be improper to advance it. I'm more of a masochist than you might think. It would be better to feel the pain and remember that it is against the rules than stay here and bask in the pleasure of being near you."

How had an explanation of going after another witch or wizard turned into a completely confession to Alice? He could feel his cheeks begin to flush, but was thankful that the blanket hid it.

As he told her his feelings Alice cheeks slowly turned more and more red. "Aren't you able to do whatever you want after my training is done? What says you can't stay?" She asked, unable to understand that part and trying to avoid the part that he just confessed to her. "I want you to stay after the training is over, you're my friend after all." She said knowing she liked him more than just a friend, but she couldn't say it. "What will happen when the training is finnished? Will a magic force pull you away and keep you at least a city away from here or what?" She asked, trying to understand what he was talking about.

Then she remembered something he said when they first met, when your training is finnished then I will disappear from your life. Was it just her life he had meant? What if he had meant everyones life. She rose and went towards him, pulling the blankets away from his head. "What did you mean when you said you would disappear?" She asked, looking at him with an uneasy feeling. What was he hiding from her?

Alec sat there, red face available for the young woman to watch. He had been able to hide with the blanket over his head. He was able to hide all the emotions that had welled up inside him and threatened to cut free. But as her gentle hands pulled the blanket back, it was if he couldn't hide anything form her any more or risk being torn to shreds. He didn't look at her though. He couldn't.

"There is a reason I live in a cave Alice. Not because I was drawn here and my parents are on their way here to help out. I'm alone except for you. Their witch and wizard finished their training later in their lives and were friends so my parents met that way. They had me and then--the witch and wizard finished their training. Both of my parents no longer exist Alice. After the training is done, after the witch or wizard feel that they've learned everything there is to learn or that they want to learn, the familiar vanishes completely. No one but you will remember Alecander Trival, Alice," Alec said, his voice soft, his eyes flicking up to her. "That is why these feelings are-they aren't suppose to happen. Maybe, years ago, when witches and wizards lived in the open and welcomed their familiars into their lives, we could have--may have formed something other than a familiar-witch bond. But now, I couldn't do that to you. I couldn't hurt you in that way because it would hurt even more when my body started to erase itself."

He looked away from her after that, pulling the blanket back up around his head to hide from her. It was safer that way. He couldn't stand seeing her worry about him. He didn't want to see the look of pity or embarrassment or whatever else would appear on her face after she comprehended what he said. It was safer for him not to see for it would keep him from feeling even more for the young woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.