Simply never simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice listened carefully as he told her about it, she almost forgott that it was fact and thought about it as a fairy tale. It sounded to.. weird to be true but still, here she sat, with a half wolf. If that wasn't proof enought then she didn't know what. She was silence for a while before speaking.
"So there is more people like me, isn't there a way of finding them? I mean they must want to meet eachother when they are so confused of what's happening." It was just as he had said, they didn't want to end up being freaks and neither did she, but if there were more of them and they could meet eachother then it wouldn't feel so lonely, they wouldn't need to feel like ... freaks.

"There are more than you know. There were, at the height, almost 300 families, if not more that never really stated their claim to magic. But finding them? The only true markers of being a witch or wizard is the familiar and we only last as long as the witch or wizard believes we are necessary--which normally ends when they complete their studies and learn how to control their craft," Alec said softly before frowning, "Well, unless you catch them doing magic on accident or them doing magic outright, there is little one can do to find another."

He pushed himself up to stand and then stepped into the water sot hat it rose up to his mid-calf, wetting the pants he wore quickly. He turned and smiled at her before extending his hand out to her. "Why don't we try to see if you are a water element user? It'll be easiest to find out if you actually touch the water though." he offered, a serious smile on his lips.

So she probably wouldn't be able to find them, then she could as well be the only one if she never would be able to meet the others anyways. She looked up at him as he walked out in the water.
"Eh? .. hmm.. I guess so, you're the expert." She said looking at the water not really wanting to go down in the water. She started taking of her shoes and socks, she hoped she wouldn't slip in the water, that would make her skirt wet.

She took his hand and went down in the water, it wasn't cold but not warm either, the temperature was in the middle, a perfect temperature. She looked up at him.
"So, what exactly should I do?" She asked him, she felt like a kid that were going to swim for the first time, afraid of drowning and not understanding how to keep the head over the surface.

Alec smiled and kept hold of her hand as he waded behind her. Then his hand slowly brushed up her arm to rest on her shoulders in a comfortable way so she knew he wasn't just leaving her alone. "Relax," he whispered. His head was right behind hers as he said this, as if he were speaking right in side her mind. "Focus in on the water around you. Call for it. If it doesn't answer back, call out again. It is a playful element. It'll play with you if you are a user of water. You can call verbally or mentally, whichever you are most comfortable with. Try and focus on a point in front of you for the water to form. Think of something simple--a circle or a square. Ask the water to form that shape. Ask, don't order. It's a two way relationship. One of friendship and requests, not subjugation."

He kept his hands on her shoulders to anchor her tot he spot she stood, though they barely touched at the same time, as if he was afraid of touching her completely.

She blushed as he whispered to her, why did she blush, there was definitly nothing to blush for. She tried to shake it off and soon got in controll of her emotions again making the blush disappear. She tried to concentrate on what he was saying, not ordering just ask. That was how she wanted it to be between Alecander and her, not ordering, just ask.

She tried to stop thinking about it and concentrated on the water, one spot. She thought about a circle, then focused on the water. She tried to ask the water in her mind to do a circle, it failed. She breath in deeply and tried again, concentrate and ask the water. She tried it many times but nothing happend, after the seventh time she gave up.
"I don't think this will work" She said and sighted, she had never tried to concentrate that much, she had been relaxed the first four times but then she slowly had got stiff in impatiense.

Alec smiled encouragingly and stepped out of the water, holding out his hand again to help her up. "That is all right. It just means that you aren't a water user. To tell you the truth I'm not sure which you are. You match all of them in one way or another. It's just trial and error. Why don't we try earth now, or do you want to relax a little bit? Sometimes this can cause headaches." he suggested, motioning towards the cake with the other hand. "Have some cake that I so joyously made for you while you were heading to school?"

He had watched her concentrate to such a great degree for someone that was just starting. She would eventually find it--that area in her mind that spoke exclusively with her magic, but until then, she would just have to try. Her powers would awaken. Sometimes it took a few hours or a day. "And while you do that I'm going to go grab the bag with my glasses that I left up on top of the bridge when I came down."

Alice looked up at him as he reached out a hand to her. She took his hand and went up from the water a bit disappointed, she had wanted to be water if she needed to be something, that was a cool element. "Cake sounds good" She said looking at him, she felt that she had gotten a litle headache so it probably was time to rest a bit.

She watched as he left her under the bridge "Why did he leave his bag on the bridge?" she said to herself, if he left the bag then anyone could steal it. He would be lucky if it still were there. Was that guy really that simple-minded? She sighted and started to eat her cake. Well if she wasn't water, then maybe she was earth or air. As long as she wasn't fire then it was fine by her, she had been afraid of fire since, well since always. Maybe it was because her parents died in a fire, she remembered that people had told her how the fire men found her in the burning building. She had been lucky that it hadn't touched her. They said that it was like the fire tried to avoid her, it was all around her but didn't got close.

But she was to young to remember that, she had just been six month when it happend.

Alec came out from under the bridge and trotted over to where he had left his bag and knelt next to it. Pulling out several objects, including a pair of glasses, he closed the bag and shoved it over his shoulder after putting the glasses on. He then went back down under the bridge and smiled when he saw that his cake was being enjoyed. He didn't know why, but that feeling that she liked it was enough to make him extremely happy. Then he sat down and put the objects he held down on the ground in front of him.

First was a bag of a shimmering powder that when hit with light sparkled all different colors. Next was a rock that was just small enough to fit comfortably in her palm. The last was a lighter that had a wolf design on the side of it. When he had set them all out, he shifted so that he hid the book that he had pulled out sot hat she couldn't see the title. Then he relaxed back and started to read, waiting for her to get done. Ever minute or so he would flip a page, a smile or frown painting onto his face as he read. He couldn't believe how much he had come to like these stories--cowboys, native american's on horseback, damsel's in distress.

Alice looked at Alecander as he came back and sat down in the grass. She tried to concentrate on the cake so she wouldn't get caught starring at him, but she noticed that her eyes left the cake many times to look at him.
"Here" She said and reached out a hand with a piece of cake, "It's not fair if only I eat, plus if I eat all of it myself then I will gain weight, and that wouldn't be good." It was only an excuse though, she didn't have any weight problem and it didn't matter how much she ate, she never gained weight.

She looked down on the cake she had left in the box, maybe she should save some to later. She closed the box and looked at him. "Shall we continue or is that book to interesting to let go off?" She said and smiled "I can wait if you want to finnish the chapter." She continued and looked out at the water.

"Go ahead and eat it Miss Alice," Alec said distractedly as he put his finger on where he left off and fished in his bag for a bookmark with his other. It was obvious if one saw his eyes that despite holding his place, he was still reading the page as if he could get one more sentence in before having to close the book. "I ate all of yours this morning after all." Finally he pulled out a piece of wood with a wolf design burned into it. Then, slowly he put the bookmark into his book and closed it, blinking out of the world he had lost himself in.

"Air, earth, or fire?" He asked, smiling over at her. He had been oblivious to the looks she had given to him while she was eating--or so he acted like. Some people thought that he was totally unapproachable when he was reading a book, but he noticed a lot of things around him that others did not. "Which would you like to try next?"

Alice thought for a moment, which should she try? She hoped it was air, but maybe it was better to test fire first just to get the worst over with, but it should be earth or air. She thought for a while but couldn't decide, she looked at Alecander.
"I don't know which I should test first, can't you choose which I should take next?" She asked and tried to give him the oh-so-feared puppy eyes, she hadn't done it since she was twelve so she had no idea if it still worked at this age. But even if she still could do it, would it work on someone that actually was a dog? Okay technicaly a wolf but still.

Alec stared that the girl through his glasses for a moment, blinking rapidly at the face he was shown. It was pitiful and wanting attention. His ears twitched and his tail started to swish. Him choose? Oh gosh. He averted his eyes before the cuteness of the stare pierced him. "You can stop that-that-that look!" He grumbled and picked up the bag of glittery substance. "We'll start with air then. This will try to fight you. Wind doesn't like to be controlled--it's its own entity and doesn't like overbearing people. So remember what you did with the water. Get into a comfortable position."

He opened the bag and set it next to her. "Now, as if you were going up to a wolf that actually acted like a wolf, not me, for who knows I might just tackle you and lick your face clean of cake," Alec said with a grin. "Gently ask the wind around you to bring the dust up in front of you to form a cyclone. Show it a mental picture of what you want. Thank it for letting you life for without it you would not be able to breath. Show that you would be willing to do as it asks should it require something. Don't get antsy if it doesn't do anything. Wind is one of the hardest to work with."

She tried not to laugh as her puppy eyes technic had worked, She listened carefully as he explained about the air and ignored him when he tried to act funny.

Alice took a deep breath then relaxed all her muscles, trying to create a mental picture of the dust floating up in the air, making a small cyclone. At the same time she thanked the air for her life. She tried to keep her concentration for as long as she could, but nothing happend. Was she really a which? Maybe he had gone to the wrong house and the which was somewhere else.

She bent forward as her head started to hurt, she put her head in her hands and stoped concentrating completely. "This, doesn't work" She said and was almost about to ask him if he hadn't taken the wrong person. But she thought it was a bad idea when it was two elements left.

Alec smiled and took the bag of dust and closed it before hiding it in his pack next to his book and picked up the rock before hesitation and looking at the young woman and putting the rock back down. Instead he picked up the lighter and shifted a little. He would have to do this one quickly. He could sense the unwillingness to use it from Alice, but was determined to figure it out.

"Let's try this next. Fire is more lively of the four. It's willing to serve and destroy at the same time. You must find out if the fire is willing to protect you. Sometimes it may take the form of an animal since its easier to see than the other two that you've tried so far. Focus on the flame, do as you have with the others but this time, don't be as gentle. It is like a wolf," Alec explained, his eyes glinting dangerously, "If it thinks you are weak, it will try to overpower you and explode into a firestorm. Be forceful, but still ask. Show it that you aren't afraid of it and it won't try to play with you."

This time Alice got a bit uncertain, she was afraid of the fire, how could she show it the opposit? Well if it wasn't her element then she wouldn't have anything to worry about. But it was a fifty percent chance that it was her element.

She tried to relax again, but she couldn't shake of some of her tension. She tried to concentrate on the flame, ask it but be forceful, ask it but be forceful, she repeated it in her head sometimes before starting. It didn't take long before the flame moved in a weird way, maybe it was just the wind. Alice kept her concentration a bit longer. The flame suddenly started to take a shape, it startled Alice and she lost the concentration in the middle of it, which led to some of the flames being throwned over the grass.

Alec had watched with fascination as he held the lighter at a comfortable distance. She almost had it! Then the flame lept from where it was supposed to be to the grass and Alec lept to his feet. he jumped into the water and scooped some up and threw it on the flames. He blinked as the fire went out and he then looked at Alice. he was grinning like a fool again as he climbed, soaking, from the river. "For a first time Alice, you did really well. Really well indeed. Why don't you relax for a few minutes and then we can try again--or we can move to try the earth and see if you are a duel user, though those are rare." he said with a smile as he sat and took the lighter that he had stuffed in his pocket out and slid it onto the ground again next to the rock.

Alice sat half in shock as Alecander was jumping in to the water to scoope up some of it to make the fire die. She sat there for a while starring in to the ground, had he just said 'try again'? She didn't want to have anything to do with fire, why did she have to be fire user? She didn't say what she thought about it to him, if she just learned it quickly then she wouldn't have to use it anymore after that.

She suddenly reacted on something he had said, duel user?
"What's a duel user?" She asked him, how could she possibly be able to use earth? It sounded from what he told her before like there was only one element for each which. Wasn't it a waste of time to test another?

"Well a duel user is a witch that can control two powers at once. Now these kinds are extremely rare. to my knowledge there have only been about 50 of them in the last one thousand years. They have a stronger power for one than the other but they can use both in harmony without overtaxing their magical abilities," Alec said, noting the reluctance she had towards the fire magic. What had caused her to feel this way? Fire was the most joyous of the four in his opinion, but his opinion hardly mattered in this. He would have to do some research to find out what had caused her to not like fire.

"Here, pick up the rock. Now like the other three, just focus on it and see if you feel anything. Earth will be very mellow. It likes to stay at rest. With earth users, they can cause earthquakes, volcanoes to form. Try and ask that rock to shape itself into something else. Ask it to move or to become clay." Alec instructed, stretching out so that his pants could dry.

So it was that rare, then there probably wasn't any chance that she would be one. Even though she didn't believe that she was one she still took the rock. She focused on the rock, asking it to form itself into a square, she tried to keep it at simple as possible. She took a deep breath in, concentrating on the square in her mind, a deep breath out, relaxing the body. Deep breath in, asking the earth, deep breath out, consentrating on the square. She keept the circle going for a minute, in difference from the other elements this didn't give her any headache, she felt confortable with it. The rock slowly changed its form, it didn't become a square it just changed form a litle.

Alice stopped the chanting she was doing in her head "Impossible" She whispered to herself. "Should we say fiftyone in the last thousand years?" She said as the shock started to dry off of her, she couldn't help but joke about it, she mostly did it to hide how terrified she were at the moment.

Alec had watched with astonishment. He had crept forward slowly to peer interestedly at the rock as if it were some kind of new alien life form. he turned wide eyes up at the girl and couldn't help but jump up when she spoke and do a little dance. It was more than just the fact she was a duel user thought hat was making him so happy. It would take longer for her to learn to control both of her powers, which meant that he would be able to stay alive longer! He stopped in middance though as he thought about that and sighed, slumping back down onto the ground. More time meant more heartache when it happened. More time meant getting to know this young woman better.

"Yes, I suppose you would the the fifty-first one. Congrats. Now you'll be able to keep a lid on your powers even better. While Earth and Fire are not opposites like Water and fire, earth can just as easily stop a fire as water can." He told her, trying to put some cheer into his words.

Status
Not open for further replies.