Simply never simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't really make her feel more at ease when the I think part came up, she really hoped she wouldn't get in such a situation that she could die. As they came closer to Alice house she almost wanted to slow down, it didn't feel right to separate from him. She shoke off the thought, why was she thinking like that? They would meet the next day again. As he told her he would leave she almost panicked, why was he in such a hurry?

As he were about to leave her she said "You can talk to me in school, it's irritating when you try to ignore me like you did today." She didn't want a day like this again. "I'll show that thing to you tomorrow." She continued and turned around to walk to her house, hoping he would be alright by himself. Once she got inside she felt the warmth almost throwing itself over her, first then she remembered that she had his jacket. He had probably gone to far now for her to catch up to him, she just needed to return it the next day.

"I wasn't trying to ignore you, just follow your rules," Alec said to the wind as he turned to watch her disappear into the house. The pangs would start soon for him. He was glad that the human did not have to deal with them. Sighing deeply, he waited until he saw the light of her bedroom turn on before he turned and sprinted away, shifting in mid-lunge into a wolf. The night went by slow for him as the pains of being away from his bonded slammed into him full force. Several reluctant howls came from his wolf's mouth when he couldn't keep it in. Maybe he should have taken her offer? No it wasn't logical.

The next day at the school he felt horrible. Every move that he made was stiff and slow. He didn't wait for her in the morning though and went straight to his first class. He perked up when he felt her enter the school, and soon became the same young man he was the day before--kind, considerate, laughing, joking. Then it was lunch time. He was tempted to hide out in the library today so that he wouldn't have to act like a human, but remembered that she had said she'd show him what made her fear fire. Reluctantly he moved to the cafeteria. He had yet to get any food for his den so he regrettably got some of the lunch from the cafeteria and sat down where he had sat the day before, not thinking to wait for her to show up and follow her over to see if he could sit with them.

Alice had woken up earlier than she used to do this morning, she was forced to if she wanted to wake up before her parents. She couldn't let them see when she took food out of the fridge and put it in a box which she put in her bag. Her parents had never liked when she took food with her to school instead of eating in the cafeteria, but the food wasn't for her this time, she though Alecander maybe would have a hard time getting real human food when living in that den. Even if he was a half wolf he would probably like eating human food. She hurried up to her room to get some of the newspapers which she suddenly remembered she had promised to show Alecander.

She hurried to school and was able to come just in time for the class to start, she then endured three painfully long lessons before lunch started. Alice really hoped she could meet him now and didn't need to wait untill after school, when she was walking in to the cafeteria and looked around she saw him almost immediately. His hair was eye-catching so it was a bit hard to miss him. She had already told her friends she wouldn't go with them to the cafeteria and let them go first so she could get in after they had sat down. If she had abandoned them when they were in the cafeteria then they would have gotten suspicious and followed her, at least if they saw her walking to a hot guy.

She sighted at her own thoughts and walked over to Alecander when she had taken food. She put the bag at the floor as she sat down and pulled up a couple of newspapers from the bag. On the front page of one of them was a burning house with the head line "Benneth family perished in fire" The other one had a picture of a baby in the arms of a fire patrolman with the head line "One survivor in possible arson"

"This is why I'm afraid of fire" She said before starting to eat.

Alec was staring. Not at the newspaper articles, but at the woman herself. He had a fork full of... stuff halfway to his mouth when she slid the newspapers in front of him, but his eyes were locked on her as she ate. He wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the only one that was staring but right now, all that mattered was that she was sitting there eating with him. The ecstatic feel in his gut was destroying his concentration. Was this what his father had meant when he said he would know a bond when he felt it and that it would be the best thing to have in life?

Slowly he lowered the fork of cafeteria food onto his plate and picked up the articles and read them slowly. He absorbed every detail, letting it make a map of connections in his mind. It didn't take long for him to understand her fear and at the same time, not understand it.

"Alice, the fire saved you." he said, his voice soft, his eyes behind the glasses kind. "I can understand why you fear it. Anyone would be frightened if they were taken from a burning building while the rest of their family died. But you survived because the fire knew you were a part of it and it a part of you." He paused and thought about what he was trying to say.

"Ah, here, think of it like this Alice. You are as much a part of fire as it is part of you. Even if it touched your skin, you wouldn't get burned. At worst you'd feel the heat of it touch you. But it won't ever harm you. It needs you in order to take a manifestation outside in this world. You are like, like a conductor that tells it where to go and what to do. The more experience you have controlling the train that is fire, the more it will listen and the more it will submit. But it will never, as long as you are alive, try to hurt you. Ever. And as long as you are training, I won't let it hurt you. So please, don't fear training it. I'll protect you."

He knew how foolish that sounded--how much that sounded like a romance novel waiting to happen, but, he couldn't help it. He would protect her if it was the last thing he did. He wanted to feel the happiness of seeing her after a night full of loneliness.

She didn't look at him, even if he said it she couldn't help but be afraid. If it was a part of her then didn't that mean that she had killed her own family? She almost felt worse of what he said, how could she accept that part of herself, especially if that part had killed her parents. She suddenly blushed, that last part sounded like something from a novel, she really hoped no one listened to what they were saying. But in that case they would probably have reacted sooner on the parts with fire, training and that kind of things. She didn't take up her head, she really didn't want him to see her blushing.

"Wow, I always thought it would sound cool if a guy told me he would protect me, but it sounds much more lame than in the books" She laughed a bit. She actually thought it had sounded kind of cute, but she wouldn't tell him that. "Oh right, I have a thing for you. I bet it's hard to get food when you live as you do. See it as a thanks for the cake" She picked up the box with food and put in front of him. "I wont accept it if you refuse, if you don't want it then throw it away later. But I wont take it back."

Alec frowned down at his food when she called the words lame. He had thought it sounded foolish yes, but lame? If his ears had been out they would have visibly drooped, but instead, he turned the frown upside down at the box of food. "Alice, my dear, you are a goddess." He said, bowing low in his seat as he reached over and took the box quicker than a rabbit running from a gunshot. "This food here," he motioned to the cafeteria food on his tray, "is suitable for my stomach, but it does nothing compared to what I could make given the food. But as of right ow I have no money, so food is greatly appreciated."

He riffled through it until he came out with an apple and he chomped into it, the look on his face rivaling that of the puppy eyes she had given him the day before. "Yes, yes, you, mm, are a, gosh this is good, living goddess Alice." he said as he more or less devoured the apple. After he was done, he smiled over at her, not going to let the lame comment affect him any more.

"Alice, listen, whatever you do, don't let this," he held up the newspapers, "Affect your training. Yes, it happened. I'm not telling you to forget--" He stopped and quickly hid the newspaper articles in his box of food as a few girls came over to giggle and talk to him. He grinned up at them, though it wasn't the same relaxed grin that he gave Alice, or the face he had had when eating the apple. It was a polite, interested yet not interested smile. The words were even more sedated than the way he spoke with Alice. It was as if he was keeping that part of him to himself and Alice only. When the girls finally left, Alec turned to look for Alice.

She looked at Alecander as he praised her in the most embarrasing sort of way. Couldn't he just had said thank you? When he finally had calmed down he started to talk about the fire again. Couldn't he let it go untill the training after school at least? In the middle of his speach some girls came up to him and started to talk, Alice got surprised when his smile changed so rapidly from the childish smile he just had to such a polite smile. He had never shown that to her. But she had just known him for litle over a day, maybe he would become like that towards her to. She really hoped not.

The girls finally left, "You seem popular among the girls" She pointed out, of some reason it hurtened her a bit but she couldn't understand why.

Alec opened his mouth and then shook his head. "Nah, I don't think so. I think it's just that I'm new here and they have to each come up and inspect me for damage before going back and giggling about it with each other. It's quiet annoying really. I rather like how you treat me. At least then I don't feel completely like a mutt then." He said, relaxing back for a moment, looking off into no where particular over her right shoulder before blinking back to reality.

"Sorry, Just thought of something that I have to remember to tell you later during training." He said with a small smile that was neither polite, nor child-like. It was the kind of smile that could lead to things exploding or calming down to a nice sea breeze. It held a little laughter in the corners while the rest of it spoke of better days to come. But the moment vanished quickly when people passed them and he ducked his head, going back to eating the food oh his tray with a look of child-like acceptance. It was there. He had to eat. Thus he must eat what was in front of him.

Alice looked at him and blushed when he said how he liked the way she treated him. She didn't think he treated him nicely though, she had said stuff she shouldn't a lot of times in less than a day to him. How could he say that she treated him better? She had throwned a lamp at him. Sure it was his own fault for just appearing in front of her so early in the morning but still, throwing a lamp was a bit to much.

She looked at him again, he spaced out for a moment but then returned. She got disappointed when he couldn't tell her now, he made her really curious. She ate up the rest on her plate and then looked at her watch. "I need to go, see ya later." She told him and went to her next lesson. She was wondering if she would see him in school during the day or if they wouldn't meet before the training.

Alec waved goodbye before turning and picking up the box of food and taking a bite out of a piece of cheese he found with a look that was like he had just made it to heaven. Despite this look, he took a good job of keeping his eyes averted when he felt the gaze of a young man that wasn't too happy land on him. Then 'innocently' he picked up the box and headed to his locker. School progressed and he was able to keep out of the way of the one that had glared at him--he really would have to find out who he was and why he had ended up angering him. He went to classes, went to the library to turn in one of the books he had read the night before when he couldn't sleep. Then he found himself walking through the shelves of books until he head someone talking about him. He froze and shrunk into the shadows as a couple of girls came around the isle next to his.

"Did you see the way that they were eating? Alec looked like he had never had an apple before!"

"I heard he called Alice a goddess. Who calls anyone that kind of weird name any more? seriously, where did that guy come from?"

"He's just lucky that Alice feels sorry for him. That's the only reason she gave him that box I bet."

The words stung, though he didn't let it show. Was calling a girl a goddess really so bad? Alice had given him one of the best presents that he could ask for. He picked up a book and let it thud loudly to the floor. the three girls came running around to see who it was only to freeze when they saw him bending to pick it up. He remembered then why he hated humans, and that he hoped Alice wasn't int he library for it was time for her free period wasn't it? he shelved the book and without a word, turned and left the speechless girls alone.

Annas day went from somewhat good to a lot worse, right after lunch her boyfriend Erik wanted to talk to her. He stopped her from going to her lesson because he had seen her being with that new guy and wanted to know what was going on between them. She had tried to explain to him that there wasn't anything going on between them but he was thickheaded as always and just got angrier. She had gotten away somehow but it she had come late for her lesson because of it. What was wrong with him? She had a right to talk to whoever she wanted to. 'Well, I will have time to do better things with my sundays from now on' She thought to herself as she sent away a textmessage to Erik followed by erasing him from her phone's memory.

She was lucky and didn't see Erik for the rest of the day, but she didn't see Alecander either. As she walked in to the library shortly after her free period started she heard some girls talking about her feeling sorry for someone she had given a box. Did they talk about Alecander? She closed the door and started to walk back to the classroom, well she felt sorry for him, but that wasn't the only reason. She hoped Alecander didn't hear any of that, what if he would hear the rumours, what would he think?

Alec skipped the rest of the day. He walked the forest, letting the ears and tail appear as he hunched his bag closer. He remembered then that he had forgotten to ask for his jacket back as he carried the box in his hands to his den. He was almost late going to the bridge because he didn't have a watch on him yet. He added it to the growing list of things that he would have to get at one point or another. Slipping under the bridge, he closed his eyes, curling up with his back to the outside world, his face hidden in the crook of his arm. He didn't want to go to school. What was so special about it? The humans sucked; the classes seemed so boring now that he was with his witch. He wished very hard right then that everything else would fade as it would when she finished her studies. Could he keep that secret from her for however long it would take for her to learn? That he would fade from existences as she grew stronger and got more control?

He jerked awake when the feeling of Alice neared. He was surprised to have found himself asleep, and quickly stretched before dipping his feet--shoes, socks and all-- into the river, shivering as the water grounded his emotions. this was what he had learned to do when he was angry or sad. It was like having the emotions wash away and they hurt less. Maybe now he could act 'normal' around the girl that 'felt sorry for him'. That thought didn't help and soon he found himself once again glaring down at the water thinking about how stupid and hurtful humans could be.

"Why are you dipping your feets in the water?" Alice asked as she saw Alecander. Was he trying to make himself sick? She shaked her head and walked to him. "Here's your jacket" She said pulling his jacket up from her bag "Thanks for letting me borrow it, today I have my own if it would get late" she continued and sat down. She thought about what he had talked about in school, he had said he were going to tell her something when they were going to train. She was still curious of what it could have been. "So, what was it you needed to remember to tell me during training?" She asked curiously, almost wanting to threaten him with her puppy eyes but in the end she didn't. She didn't want to act to childish.

Alec jerked a little and tilted his head at her before taking his jacket and putting it on. "I was dipping my feet in the water because I wanted to get rid of some unwanted thoughts and memories is all. It's something my dad taught me. Whenever you get really mad or really angry, just let the water run over a part of your body and imagine it cleansing away any bad things in your life. Normally it works," he said before glaring down at the water again. "Today it seems to be working against me."

he pulled his feet out and smiled as the lack of pain in his stomach reminded him that he was near Alice. "Um, what I needed to tell you?" he asked, blushing softly. "Would you believe I forgot? Some stuff happened at school and I plum well forgot. You'll forgive me won't you, god--Alice." he turned his gaze away quickly so as not to let her see his blush. "You know, the food you gave me, I do appreciate it. I'm sorry I acted like the fool at lunch, but at the time I hadn't had any breakfast and I was kind of regretting eating the cafeteria food so I was letting myself be kind of weird. Thank you."

She looked at him a bit worried, "If you dip your feets in the water at this time of the year, then you can get sick. At least take off your shoes and socks first." She said and looked at his wet shoes. She wondered if she should ask him about the memories, but she didn't want to bring it up if he didn't wanted to speak about it. She looked at him again "well you will probably remember it later and for the food incident, I haven't really thought about it since it happened, it wasn't such a big thing. But if you have food problems you could just ask me, it could have ended bad if you had eaten to much of that cafeteria lunch. But next time you need to eat cafeteria lunch, do as me and just take salad. You can't get ill of that at least"

She watched over the water, the sun made it sparkle, it was very beautiful. "So, what are we going to train?" She asked, maybe his memories would come back if they trained a bit. She hoped he remembered soon, she was so curious.

He looked at her and made a little disgusted face before looking up at the sun. "Salad? I'd risk getting sick personally. Can't stand the stuff." he said before relaxing back so that he lay there, stretched out, his ears flicking one way and another as he listened to the world around him. "So I'm going to go out n a limb and say that your boyfriend wasn't too happy you were speaking with me at lunch and that you gave me a box full of food. I could feel his glare the whole lunch period. Hope you two didn't have a fight over you sitting with me. I'd feel horrible if that happened." His mind was on everything but training. He supposed that this was him trying to stay around a little longer--distract the witch with nonsense and stay around for an extra day. He let out a deep sigh.

"But here now, I shouldn't pry, should I Alice? How senseless of me. We could begin by working with earth or fire, it is up to you." Alec said, not wanting to bring up the fire unless she was up to it.

She looked down in the ground, it was a bit funny that he would take up that topic. "I broke up with him, he gets jealuse way to easily and he wouldn't even let me explain myself. But it wasn't because of you we broke up, I have actually thought about it for a whil. It happens all the time, he have gotten violent against people that just have talked to me before and he have gotten angry at me for stuff that aren't my fault. Even though he have a lot of qute and good sides, he still have to many bad so I couldn't stand it any longer." She said, she really hoped he wouldn't blame himself for it, it was she who had broke up with him after all and now he was bothering her by texting her every tenth minute.

"Shall we begin with earth then?" Alice asked and rose up. She didn't feel like she was ready for fire right now, even if he had told her it wasn't dangerous she still didn't want to if she didn't need to.

"Earth it is," Alec said though he didn't rise from where he lay, letting the information she had given him wash over her. "He hasn't ever hurt you, has he?" he asked softly, curiosity getting the better of him. That would be something that Alec would never let go. Not just because he thought he was her familiar, but because the bond would not let him. He would hate to have to get suspended from school for being up a guy that hurt Alice after only two days of it--though maybe that would be a blessing. People would see he wasn't to be messed with and leave him and rumors about him alone.

Coughing as he plotted just how to execute a good punch to the stomach of her ex-boyfriend for maximum pain, he pushed himself up and grabbed a few rocks from the ground. "Not that I would interfere with your life or anything."

Alice looked down in the ground again, for the most when Erik got angry he just screamed, sometimes he throwed his fists in the wall, but he usualy didn't hurt her. But it had happened sometimes, but she had never been able to think it was his fault. He never meant it, always after they had a fight he had come to her with flowers and apologised, he knew he was an asshole when he got angry. She had just gotten tired of his promises of getting better now, because it never happened. "No he never hurt me, he just screamed at me when we fought" She said, a lie but did it really matter now when it was over? She wouldn't talk to him anyway.

"So what are the first training thingy we are going to do?" She really didn't know what to call this and she giggled a litle when she heard herself say thiny.

Alec was distracted by her term for the training. He cocked a pale eyebrow and smirked. "Training thingy huh? I see. So what I'm doing is training thingies?" He teased before holding out the rocks in his hands. "First, we are going to see how much control you have over rocks. Try calling to them and having them slowly come over to you." He had stopped about three feet from her, his hands about a foot from her body. He'd increase the distance every time she did it successfully, but for right now, he'd let her go for this.

"You've got to ask, remember that. And try not to ask them to fly at you. You getting hurt the first day would not go well for my record as a trainer." he said, a pitiful look on his face which he erased for his child-like grin.

Status
Not open for further replies.