Shadow's Edge

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh there's a rink to? She thought her smile turning toward that. "Sure." She said and followed him. "Not a lot of people around." She said noting how quite it seemed.

Nathanial nodded. "That's why I usually come during the evenings. There aren't high schoolers getting underfoot." He entered the rink, paying and then picking up his sskates. He sat at a bench, looking over at the girl behind the counter. "Alyssa, how about some Skillet or Green Day? I want something upbeat today." He finished lacing his skates and turned to wait on Jessamine.

"You got it!" Alyssa shouted, popping a mixed CD into the player.

"I don't like it when they do that either." She said remembering a few times she'd had to leave an area because of people like that. It irritated her.

Taking a seat on the bench beside him she put on her blades and tightened them to where they wouldn't fall of and yet were comfortable. She got up and began to move the moment the music started to play. Man she loved those bands. "Skillet's good but I don't know about many of Green Day's new music. Sorta feels like they don't have the same soul they used to." She said as she skated backward looking at him while she talked.

Nathanial laughed as he skated alolng. His eyes were fixed on her as he responded. "That's why Alyssa only plays me the best."

Alyssa, hearing the comment laughed. "You bet your fine ass, sweetcheeks!"

Nathanial shook his head, grinning. "Hey! Keep to your own conversation!" He shrugged, speeding up his skating until he was racing around the rink like a speed skater.

"Glad to hear it." She said laughing as well. Shaking her head she turned around so she was skating normally. She watched him race around impressed at his skill and speed. She couldn't go that fast. Sure some tricks were alright but if she did that for some reason she would fall over…it was inevitable.

It watched them from a distance. Bored. Creeping around it slithered from one shadow to the next. Perhaps a slight snack might do it good. Sliding up it made its way to the lights. Shutting them off was the first trick; the next was death for one of them. It just had to decide which one.

Nathanial stopped skating, gliding over to Jessamine and wrapping arms around her shoulders. "So...want me to help you skate?"

She stopped a moment ago to try and fix something on her blade; straightening she turned her head to face him when he came up behind her. "Uh…sure." She said a little uneasily when the lights cut out. "What was that?" She asked though it didn't quite feel like an ordinary power outage. Especially since the music was still playing.

It circled them a few times wondering which one it should snack on. Keeping its eyes hidden it moved in pretty close brushing against each of their arms as if tasting them.

Nathanial opened his mouth as if to call out to Alyssa but the feeling of not being alone quickly shut his mouth. He looked at Jessamine, eyes knowing what was about to happen. He grabbed her hand, pressing his keys into her palm. "Run."

"No. Besides if I run it wouldn't do much good anyway. This is its playing field." She said then added quietly. "And I don't know how to drive."

The feeling of unease in her built up and grew as she felt a slight shock. She winced and got closer to Nathanial. The same shock happened to him. As it circled it got a nice tasted and found the boy to be interesting. It got in closer and tried to grab him when something happened it didn't expect.

She felt the change and it made her shiver. Her heart pounded and she was terrified. Something flashed for an instant before disappearing. She looked down at hands she couldn't see. Feeling it closing she instinctively grabbed Nathanial around the middle and didn't let go. She closed her eyes feeling something emanate from her body. Black flame engulfed them making the creature back off. The lights slowly blinked on and she was still holding on the heatless flames dancing still.

"You don't know how to drive?" Nathanial asked in shock. His face twisted as she jumped towards him and soon he felt a shock go through his body. He growled, moving closer to Jessamine. He felt a strange sensation flood through his body and he felt as if he was being torn apart. Then, arms were around his waist and he slumped against Jessamine.

Flames suddenly surrounded them and he blinked in surprise. "Dear LordM we're on fire?" He gasped, pulling Jessamine closer and looking around him. "I'm so confused..."

"What?" She asked when the lights flicked back on. He was holding her closer and she didn't quite understand what was going on until she noticed the flames. "Wha-" She started pushing away from him. They were black, where there such things as black flames? Was this a trick by the creature? She was a foot away noticing the flames around him flickering out.

The flames on her still burned but slowly dwindled themselves. Unlike his her flames looked like they fade into her skin. There was no pain though, nothing out of the ordinary. "Are you alright?" She asked looking at him hoping nothing was wrong.

Nathanial stared at Jessamine, not quite sure why she was asking him. He looked around, the dark presence he felt from before was gone. He looked back down at Jessamine and sighed. "Why are you the one asking me if I'm okay? You were on fire."

There was a loud bang from the snack bar area and Nathanial almost tripped and fell as he raced in that direction. He slammed into the snack bar, seeing Alyssa on the ground. He hopped over the counter and crouched beside her, relieved to find a pulse.

"So were you." She said looking down. He didn't notice the flames on him? "What do you think that was all about? I could have swore that thing was here." She paused a moment before she added. "I did feel something, I don't know what it was but I just had to get close to you even after you told me to go away." She thought of something and her head shot up. "Could I have been the one to make those flames?"

She heard the bang and followed quickly after him stopping herself with the counter. "She alright?" She asked hoping for good news.

Nathanial sighed. "Yeah. There's a pulse." He unlaced his skates and looked back at Jessamine. "It might have knocked her out so she wouldn't interfere. Had you not used those flames, I would be dead right now."

Alyssa stirred, cracking her eyes open. "Uhhh, what happened?"

Nathanial grabbed her wrist, checking her pulse and shushing her. "You passed out. Did you eat breakfast or lunch? How are you feeling right now?"

Alyssa groaned. "You always act like Superman in these situations...where's your girlfriend?"

She followed his lead and unlaced her blades. It was easier to stand that way and she felt less likely to roll away. His words cut through her thoughts a moment. So it was her that had done it. She blushed slightly at the girlfriend comment. Why did everyone assume that? She wondered not feeling angry or irritated about it just…curious.

Putting a smile on her face she walked forward and said; "I'm here but we're not dating. Just friends." She had to admit, they seemed a little close to just be 'friends' at the moment. Though she chalked that up to the events of the past day. After all they just met right?

Nathanial frowned, not even paying attention to the way the two females were talking. "Why aren't you answering my questions?" He prevented Alyssa from sitting up, his hands moving to run through her hair as he checked for any injuries.

"I didn't eat breakfast. I had a large group before you two came so I didn't eat lunch either..."

"Idiot." Nathanial grouched. His hands started checking her neck and he frowned in irritation. "Alright. We are gonna sit you up now and make sure you're okay." He helped her sit up and watched her expressions carefully. "Jessamine, can you get some water? Alyssa, you dehydrated yourself again...and not eating...I don't care how many jobs you have right now, you have to find time to eat."

Alyssa scowled. "Yeah, whatever..." her eyes flicked over towards Jessamine and she smiled. "He's a big worry-wort. Don't worry about me..."

Jessamine nodded and went to grab some water. When she returned she shook her head. "He's right though, you should find time to eat. Even if it is just a candy bar or something small like that to tide you over." She said handing the water to Alyssa.

"Dehydration is not something to shrug off." She said taking a seat near the two. "I will say this though, isn't it interesting to see how much he fusses though? Almost like a mother hen." She asked trying to hide a smile. She liked this girl and if she could help get her to eat something she would feel accomplished.

Nathanial looked over at Jessamine, his eyebrow arching. "Did you just call me a mother hen?"

Alyssa burst into laughter, nearly snorting her water out of her nose. She coughed, swallowing repeatedly before looking at them. "Wow...she's so right though..."

Nathanial snorted, rolling his eyes. He grabbed a candy bar, shoving it into Alyssa's hands. "Your sugars are low. Eat this." He stood, stretched, and picked up the skates before taking them to the drop off. He did what a worker would normally do and sprayed them deodorizer and sprinkled them with baking powder before tying the laces and putting them back on the shelf. Then, he jumped over the counter and shoved his shoes on before grabbing Jessamine's. "I'm closing up for you, Alyssa and then walking you out to your car."

"Maybe a little." Jessamine said winking at him. She couldn't help it, especially with Alyssa encouraging her…in a way.

She watched him take care of things as Alyssa at the candy bar. Helping Alyssa up she decided it might be best if she went with them. That thing could come back and for some reason she felt she could help them…if her black flames came back which she didn't even know how to control. She wasn't sure how she'd done it in the first place; it just sort of…happened.

With Alyssa safely to her car she looked over at Nathanial and asked. "Anything you'd like to do now or does bed sound like a good idea?" She was a little tired but still had that zing of adrenaline spiraling in her veins.

Nathanial watched Alyssa drive away and he turned towards Jessammine. "We should go back to my place. A movie sounds wonderful right now." He was beginning to feel exhausted, life catching up to him in a way that was anything but friendly. He moved to climb into his car and he sighed.

Status
Not open for further replies.