Shadow's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's even better when we reach the end." She said a smile on her face. They were almost to the edge of the tree line when she stopped and looked around. She caught something move out of the corner of her eye and her smile widened slightly. With a motion of her hand she hoped Nathanial could see she basically told him to stop and look to his right. There were two deer standing not that far away. Though they were in town, every once in a while there were deer that liked to wonder in the wooded areas. It was one of the reason's she liked this place so much.

When they would reach the end of the 'path' they were following it opens up toward a lake. It was a small lake but very nice. She thought it was privately owned so she didn't wonder too close to the edge less she get into trouble. In the middle is a small island she hoped to one day see when she got the courage to actually break some rules.

Nathanial stopped, pausing and watching the deer with interest. Then, he followed Jessamine and traveled onward. The first thing that caught his eye was the shimmering blue surface of the small lake. The second that caught his attention was the island in the middle of it. "Ohhhh, fun!" He walked to the edge of the lack and crouched, picking up a few small stones.

She smiled as she watched him pick up the stones. It was nice to see him smiling like that. She hoped this outing would pull him out of his little funk. Their lives had become terrifying and this was hopefully some small reprieve from all of that. Taking a moment to let it all sink in she let out a small breath and joined him at the lake shore.

"There are a few different vantage points that are harder to get to. One even has a rocky slope that makes it feel like it's a mountain." Her aunt had dropped her off and went shopping. It took hours and she was glad of it. The longer her aunt shopped the more she got to explore.

Nathanial nodded, tossing the rock in his hand and watching it skip a few times before sinking. "I really want to get to the island..." he looked over at her and grinned. "Would you be okay if I swam over?"

"I will be alright, just be careful. I don't know if this is privately owned or not." She said with a smile. Her being told her to go with but her mind was telling her to stay put. Leaning against a tree she thought about it a moment but it didn't last long. Her initial impression was to go with. "I think I might join you if that's alright." She said feeling very, very nervous.

"Sure." He peeled off his shoes and then his shirt. He then excitedly dove unto the lake and watched Jessamine. "Can you swim?"

Jessamine nodded. "I can swim." Taking off her shoes she left everything else one thankful she was wearing a black tank and not a white one, otherwise she wouldn't have even considered it. Diving in herself she drifted slightly underwater loving the feel of it glide against her skin. When she popped up she was a little ways away from him. "Ready to go?"

Nathanial laughed, nodding and swimming after her. "Let's go! Race you there!" He splashed some water at her before disappearing and making strong strokes towards the island.

"Hey." She yelled laughing back as she blocked her face from the water. Swimming as fast as she could she tried to catch up but knew she probably wouldn't. She came up second in that race swimming up to him she shook her head. "No fair, you got that whole super strength thing." She teased as she walked up the bank.

Nathanial laughed as he pulled himself onto the bank of the small island. "Very true." He grunted, bending down to help her up.

She took his hand and felt like she weighed nothing as he helped her up. It was both shocking and amazing all at once. "Thank you." She said hip checking him. "That's for cheating." She said though she had a smile on her face.

Nathanial grinned, pretending to fall over. "Let's explore!"

((Sorry brain frazzled...hard day))

[It's alright, I know those days well. :) …]

"Alright." She said laughing at his antics. She looked behind her wondering if they were going to get into trouble but quickly shrugged it off. If they were they could simple say they didn't know and apologize as politely as they could. It wasn't like they were going to trash the place. It was a bigger island than she'd first thought as she wondered around with Nathanial. There were a few things that popped out at her that made her jump. Normally she wasn't such a scaredy cat but recently anything that popped out of the shadows made her jumpy.

Nathanial walked around the island and watched her reactions. "That's funny...." he chuckled every time she jumped.

"Oh shut up." She said shaking her head at him after the third time it happened. Despite her best efforts she couldn't hide the smile. "Want to check out that old tree? We might be able to climb it and see quite a ways if we want." She said her eyes looking at a large trunk ahead of them. She'd noticed something from where they'd been on the shore before they came here but she hadn't realized it was one giant tree.

Running toward it she paused when she reached the bark. It looked…old and dark. There was something off about it and she wasn't sure what it was. Her eyes wondered over it and she slowly backed away. "On second thought maybe we should just leave it alone." She said feeling something wrong about it.

Nathanial hadn't heard her last statement. He had already begun swinging up the tree like a monkey. "I'm gonna wiiinnnn!"

"No wait." She said and grabbed the first branch wincing as if she'd been shocked. "Nathanial, it…it isn't safe." She said feeling like the world was spinning. Her eyes were blurry and before she knew it she was on her knees. Visions flashed in her mind faster than she could process them. There was a lot of pain associated with this tree and anger. It was difficult for her to concentrate on anything really well and she felt like she was going to be sick.

Nathanial looked down. He worried when he saw her sink to her knees and he shimmied back down the tree. "What's wrong?" He moved to hold her shoulders, concerned with her sickly appearance.

"I don't know. This place is sick and pain, there's so much pain." She muttered feeling her cheeks wet with something but she couldn't place what. Moving closer to him she wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "I can't move my legs." She said unable to see a blackness spreading across them stemming from the direction of the tree. She wasn't sure but if she moved away from the tree she would feel better.

Nathanial nodded. "Give me a minute." He picked her up, surprised at how heavy she seemed. "Uhm..." He began walking away from the tree, Jessamine getting lighter with each pained step. "Woah."

Status
Not open for further replies.