Shadow Samurai (OOC/Sign-Ups) CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see anything either, though...

I checked and it's not there.

I'll just write something up again

[sighing intensifies]

I relieved my GM ownership to Kage, GMing is harder than it seems and with College. It is much easier to just join and play a game, and not have to...you know...create

I relieved my GM ownership to Kage, GMing is harder than it seems and with College. It is much easier to just join and play a game, and not have to...you know...create
I saw. Yah gming is difficult. It takes alot of time but you would know if this was still open to join! >3

Hmmmm. The only thing I have to say about your CS is normally, literally, everyone has a standard Katana from CQC. It doesn't matter if your Profession is being a Bowman or something, you always have a Katana. an Odachi (What you have) Is meant for horseback so they can hit Infantry without being taken down off their mount, also, Odachi were very hard to produce. So they are very expensive and very...crappy to have in CQC. They are also, mainly used for ceremonies and gifts. She can have one, I don't mind, just very....hard/impossible to use in CQC.

Also, this is just a point of Title. a Daimyo is what Lord Soragawa would be. Daimyo's are Lords that rule over a lot of land and rule, etc. Other than that, nothing else to talk about myself. I might be missing something, I don't think so though.
Sorry to interject randomly--I was reading what this roleplay was about when I came across this statement.

Ōdachi aren't the swords used by upper samurai men on horseback--that is the Tachi. Its a sword that has more curvature than a katana, and is always worn blade down. Tachi are only slightly longer than standard Katana and were more prestegious as they often belonged to officers. Their hilt is so that a grip can be maintained while slashing down at a foe while galloping. These were akin to Sabers.

Ōdachi (大太刀) (large/great sword) were very large, two handed weapons that had dramatic length and were used by foot soldiers. The blade was made so, so that it could cut the horses legs out from under it or cut the horse and and its rider in one cut. They were Dai, or great sword and were eith slung over shoulder, carried by hand--or in the case of upper nobility, carried by a servent like Sojio Sasaki--the man killed by Miyomoto Mushashi with a qoodden paddle shapped into a type of bokken.

Ōdachi were indeed hard to make, and they lost their appeal after the Siege of Osaka of 1615 between the Forces of the then Regent Toyotomi Hideyoshi and the would be Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu. After the Tokugawa shogunate was established, there was a standard enforced, on how long swords should be.

Kendoka like myself, have learned Kenjutsu through use of bokken shapped like Ōdachi. The added weight builds the arms and upper torso--thus giving more power behind each swing and making your swings faster because standard Katana don't weigh as much.

There were several other weapons that Samurai used, dependent on their clan. The Yumi bow; the larger variant is called a daikyū it was tyipically used by foot soldiers or samurai, and hankyū which is a shorter variant used while mounted. The art of this weapon is called kyūdo or kyūdojin.

The Yari spear, was another typical samurai weapon. It was used in much the same way any spear functions, though not all Yari had straight points. Some hadded added blades to hook or ensnare. And dependent on the yari, it could reach nearly twenty feet in length.

The Naginata was a halberd, with a three foot curved blade. The wives of Samurai trained with the Naginata to protect the home and honor o the homestead while the male was away on his affairs.

Nagamaki were crafted much like a naginata, except instead of a polearm, it had an extended hilt. Every thing was crafted exactly like a naginata except the hilt.

You also have the kanabō. A thick wooden, or iron club with studs all over. It was meant to break the legs of horses or simply crush someone with bludgeoning force.

There were other armaments that samurai used--but I don't know what time frame this story is supposedly occuring.

Tachi:
1569_0_W40201013.jpg

Ōdachi :
d749089bc174e390d1fd028a841cae16.jpg

Daikyū:
Yumi-p1000624.jpg

Hankyū:

fef8689d9987e6105ed434efd1424b25.jpg

Naginata:
sh1020.jpg

Nagamaki:
640px-Antique_shinto_samurai_nagamaki_1.jpg

Yari:
tumblr_m9578bqn2J1rrjmgoo1_1280.jpg

Kanabō:
320px-Nanhoku-cho_period_samurai_from_%22Military_Costumes_in_Old_Japan%22%2C_1893.jpg

Last edited:
It stands to reason then that Kikuichi-sama would be effective against cavalry, although her fighting style is mainly tooled towards multiple infantry or whilst dueling another samurai.

To those asking about joining: We are currently at our max players, however I have not heard from a few of them in a while. I will be attempting to contact them and if there is no response, I will be opening this back up for other people to join.

Sorry to interject randomly--I was reading what this roleplay was about when I came across this statement.

Ōdachi aren't the swords used by upper samurai men on horseback--that is the Tachi. Its a sword that has more curvature than a katana, and is always worn blade down. Tachi are only slightly longer than standard Katana and were more prestegious as they often belonged to officers. Their hilt is so that a grip can be maintained while slashing down at a foe while galloping. These were akin to Sabers.

Ōdachi (大太刀) (large/great sword) were very large, two handed weapons that had dramatic length and were used by foot soldiers. The blade was made so, so that it could cut the horses legs out from under it or cut the horse and and its rider in one cut. They were Dai, or great sword and were eith slung over shoulder, carried by hand--or in the case of upper nobility, carried by a servent like Sojio Sasaki--the man killed by Miyomoto Mushashi with a qoodden paddle shapped into a type of bokken.

Ōdachi were indeed hard to make, and they lost their appeal after the Siege of Osaka of 1615 between the Forces of the then Regent Toyotomi Hideyoshi and the would be Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu. After the Tokugawa shogunate was established, there was a standard enforced, on how long swords should be.

Kendoka like myself, have learned Kenjutsu through use of bokken shapped like Ōdachi. The added weight builds the arms and upper torso--thus giving more power behind each swing and making your swings faster because standard Katana don't weigh as much.

There were several other weapons that Samurai used, dependent on their clan. The Yumi bow; the larger variant is called a daikyū it was tyipically used by foot soldiers or samurai, and hankyū which is a shorter variant used while mounted. The art of this weapon is called kyūdo or kyūdojin.

The Yari spear, was another typical samurai weapon. It was used in much the same way any spear functions, though not all Yari had straight points. Some hadded added blades to hook or ensnare. And dependent on the yari, it could reach nearly twenty feet in length.

The Naginata was a halberd, with a three foot curved blade. The wives of Samurai trained with the Naginata to protect the home and honor o the homestead while the male was away on his affairs.

Nagamaki were crafted much like a naginata, except instead of a polearm, it had an extended hilt. Every thing was crafted exactly like a naginata except the hilt.

You also have the kanabō. A thick wooden, or iron club with studs all over. It was meant to break the legs of horses or simply crush someone with bludgeoning force.

There were other armaments that samurai used--but I don't know what time frame this story is supposedly occuring.

Tachi:
1569_0_W40201013.jpg

Ōdachi :
d749089bc174e390d1fd028a841cae16.jpg

Daikyū:
Yumi-p1000624.jpg

Hankyū:

fef8689d9987e6105ed434efd1424b25.jpg

Naginata:
sh1020.jpg

Nagamaki:
640px-Antique_shinto_samurai_nagamaki_1.jpg

Yari:
tumblr_m9578bqn2J1rrjmgoo1_1280.jpg

Kanabō:
320px-Nanhoku-cho_period_samurai_from_%22Military_Costumes_in_Old_Japan%22%2C_1893.jpg
Thank you very much for all of the wonderful information, Shadow's Intent! It is good to see another person who knows their stuff. However, due to this not taking place in our Japan and there being a bit of a fantasy edge, we are allowing more leeway when it comes to preferred weapons and the like. The timeline here is also not the same, with the setting simply having an ambiguous early- to mid-Edo period feel.

I apologise for taking so long, but I have my post up. It is not much, but hopefully it gives some of you an option for interaction right away. I will continue to try to contact our other players, and if I do not hear from them by the end of the week, there will be a couple slots open.

Is my post there this time?

Yup, I sees it!

Oh thank goodness

I see it as well. I am going to hold off posting again for at least another day as I wait to hear from the others.

Posting to confirm that I am alive and intending to participate in this RP.

Thank you, Jiwon- please post as soon as you are able.

I would like to apologise for my absence, this week has been stressful, as I found out two of my close friends are getting biopsies for potential cancerous growths. I may continue to be online less, depending how things go.

I have not heard anything from Gorgoniy, or the person I contacted to fill that character slot, so I am just going to go ahead and get things moving again. I will be trying to get a hold of Ornstein so we can get the plot started as soon as possible. I really hope I have not lost anyone due to the long waits the RP has suffered.

Hmmm. I think it might be best to save all the information and try this roleplay again. Maybe in the summer? Just my thoughts :/

Mmm... I don't know. I'm willing to keep going, if you can keep up with it Kage, but as things are going on in your life... I might agree with Ornstein.

Roleplaying is my release. It is one of my favourite pastimes and a way to distract myself from the issues of real life. I very much want to continue this, even if I am not able to be online every day. I think that even if we end up with just three people willing to continue, I want to keep this going. I feel it has good potential if we can get everyone organized. Regardless, I am going to wait for a response from everyone before making a decision.

Alright, if you feel that way, I'll stay on, but waiting to see if anyone else responds before I respond again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.