Set Sail! A Fantasy Pirate Crew Search!

ArgonianScum

Edgebabby
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
82fd7692b2416909f3a0e4fcf8e1229f.gif
"I seek my fortune out on the endless horizon. Unbound by the land, the sea will carry me to wealth, and greatness. I ask that you join me in aid to search for such glory."
-Some dead pirate

This story begins on the Sigvid Isles, a cluster of 5 small islands connected by long rope bridges, or manatee-paced ferries ambling their way through the tranquil waters. Here, the skies are always bright, and sunny, the water salty, and clear, and the people happy, and free. Some believe that the Sigvid Isles were created by the oceanic gods to be the safest place across the great waters, and that to live there would mean to need no longer. This, however, does not stop some residents of the isles from wanting more once all their needs have been met. With the isles being such a fruitful, and safe place, it has also become a haven for docking ships looking to rest from their voyages across all the Great Azures. Ships of all class and sizes come to the isles bringing with them foreign goods, and stories of places alien to the locals. Animals, foods, plants, and creatures they've never heard of were just outside their reach over the blue horizon, just a boat ride away from their safe home.

Tales of "giant black sharks", and "gray humans" weren't enough to get them to leave the white shores of their beloved home. In fact, they seemed to pay no mind to those coming to trade exotic plants and show off their colorful beasties. It was those hoarding loads coin and adorned with the shiniest of jewels the garnered the most attention. Those on the island didn't care to explore the world beyond their heavenly shores to see what they were missing, no. They wanted to leave in search of treasure.

Those wanting to leave the island were mocked, ridiculed, and sometimes shunned for their foolishness and greed, but it didn't take long before others were lured and aroused with the idea of leaving the island. Some outlanders were quick to pick up on the surge of wannabe sailors and explores. It didn't take long before shops were popping up across the islands. Boats, weapons, tools, gear where all offered or loaned- for a price of course. With the bustle of upcoming sailors, and foreigners coming to live on the land, the islands grew in both size and popularity. Docks became strips of seaside pubs, and bars stretching across the coast, closing in the landbound public to the center of the islands as the shorelines became congested with rowdy pirates, drunk sailors, and sketchy hermits.

The Sigvid Isles are a haven to its locals, and those who step onto its shores, just be cautions of the rickety docks, and its bars less you be pulled into some sailor's story circle, or get your coin stolen from you by a shady merchant.

▌═════❖═════ ▌

This idea is heavily inspired by the anime One Piece, but a novice pirate looking for a crew is where the similarities end. I hope for this story to be full of adventure, trials, tears, blood, battles, bodies, and booty! The shiny kind of course. With the initiate plot of this story being the search of a decent crew, I don't expect everyone to be hailing from the mentioned place above. I just needed a starting point to build the story from, and get things started.

• It's nothing you've haven't heard before. I expect decent grammar, and punctuation. I don't expect everything to be perfect, I know my work isn't pristine, but I at least need to understand what I'm reading. There isn't a specific word count, but I'd appreciate +2 paragraphs per posts. It can be less if the paragraphs are CHUNKY. I just ask that you give everyone something to work with so we're not filling in blanks or questioning what happened.
    There will be blood, gore, violence, drugs, booze, nudity and many more explicit things. Things even Jack Sparrow wouldn't do. If you're uncomfortable with it, I'm sorry I could not meet your needs, or make this tolerable for you.... Now scoot!
    No GOD MODDING
    This is including; but is not limited to: Controlling other writers' characters. Controlling time itself (Timeskips must be agreed upon). Untouchable characters. Character be able to read other's thoughts (Uness you're the narrator, that's their ability, or it is agreed upon by the relative writer) Forcing emotions on other characters (Unless this is their ability, is agreed upon by the relative writer, isn't overused / powered). Killing other writers' characters. ECT
    ALL SITE RULES APPLY

POSTING
    If you agree upon the posting list, you have up to 4 days to respond before your turn is skipped. You will be given so many missed turns before a discussion will have to be made. This is of course different if you have a viable excuse to missing your turn. Vacation, sick, work, not feeling it, hiatus, this list goes on. If you're unable to post, please let the group know a head of time, especially if the scene if high action, and we're sitting on a cliff hanger.

Explicit Scenes?
    Hot shit, but we're not all into that. If you wish to have a pair perform lewd, or intimate acts with one other it will have to fade to black on this thread, but your more than welcome to act out you're wild desires elsewhere, and even share the thread with the group if you wish to do so.
  • You can play up to 3 characters. NPC don't count if they don't make an impact on the main storyline.
    All creatures are allowed if you can make it fit into the main world. This isn't that type of fantasy so fairies, dragons, and gnomes wouldn't go, but if you were to have say... a species of bipedal catmen I suppose that could work if you can make it make sense!
    Superpowers are very limited in this world. Nothing like telekinesis or phasing through walls. This won't become JoJo levels of insane, but bodily transformation (if related to the species), increased strength, flight (if they have wings of course), increased speed etc. If you're unsure what is allowed, please ask me.

NAME:
DESCRIPTION and/or PICTURE:

(If obviously not human or isn't announcing what they are name here. If they have the outwardly appearance of a human label human)
HEIGHT:
RELATIONSHIP STATUS:

(None of your business unless asked geez)
SEXUALITY:
(None of your business unless asked!)
ABILITIES:
(We'll find out unless you're announcing them)
RANKING:

(Are you a cook? A navigator? A doctor? First mate? Bed mate??)

You don't have to tell me everything! I want to get to know your character! Make things natural, funny, awkward, and genuine!​

Ooooh pirates~
I'm intrigued

• Love
Reactions: ArgonianScum
Hello! I am very intrigued as well, I have been very much into pirates lately and I LOVE One Piece, though I know this will not be the same.

• Love
Hello! I am very intrigued as well, I have been very much into pirates lately and I LOVE One Piece, though I know this will not be the same.
Huzzah! I'm glad you like the idea. It's not entirely fleshed out but I'm hoping to pull it together with an awesome crew

Huzzah! I'm glad you like the idea. It's not entirely fleshed out but I'm hoping to pull it together with an awesome crew
I see I see. So for those who are interested, should we make character applications or will applications come later?

I see I see. So for those who are interested, should we make character applications or will applications come later?
You'd make a character application when you're ready. I just like having small conversations with the person before hand so if you're ready go on ahead

Renard Greenblight

Renard Greenblight
Ren, Renny

Place of birth
The Under Dark

Blood status
Miscreant

Species
Ratfolk

Sexuality
Straight

Occupation(desired)
Alchemist

Height
4'' 12

Outfit
FMYO71dXwAQKQuw.jpg

Background

Renard was born in the dreadful depths of the Under Dark, an underground city filled with nothing but the lowliest of scum and monstrosities which the light has never seen. There are many tales and legends that surround the Under Dark on how it came to be: An angered god who so disapproved of the world's deeds that they created a vast hole within the earth in which to dump all sinful things and creatures to hopefully hide away forever; a long-ago ancient prison meant to trap unholy souls in forever but had since fallen to ruin, unleashing its angry prisoners out into the dark void; a cavern that opened up one day and birthed the monstrosities within to one day unleash upon the world; the list could go on and on.

Regardless of how it came to be, it is known far and wide by many as an unholy and dangerous place that no one wished to touch. Still, there are very few species who learned to thrive in such places, one of them being the Ratfolk. No one knows how they came to be. Perhaps a dark wizard used their dark magic to manipulate and transform a simple rat into the beings they became or years of evolution had the creatures adapt to such an unforgiving place or perhaps the Under Dark gave birth to them itself.

The Ratfolk are extremely intelligent creatures who value stealth and cunning over everything else. To survive the Under Dark they must stick to the shadows to avoid detection from the bigger and most foul creatures that would like nothing more than to have them as a little snack. Their eyes are trained to see well into the dark with silent paws that allow them to scurry along floors and walls, carrying them to places that others would find difficult to reach, their round ears and whiskers allowing them to detect danger before it could fall upon them.

This was how Renard grew up. He had to learn to survive in such a lowly place. The Ratfolk had built their own civilization out of the ancient ruins found deep below, ruins built within the caverns of the Underdark with broken stone or wooden bridges to allow them to cross from one point to the other. The Ratfolk use glowing green stones for light as they seem to keep the creatures of the dark at bay. They would attach these stones to long sticks or embed them along the walls of their homes or hang them from ceilings.

They are inventors and makers. Renard's own family were chemists, taking what chemicals or biological wildlife found within the Under Dark they could to learn and grow. They made potions that could both heal or harm. Renard became an Alchemist like his family before him, always containing a notebook that is scribbled with many notes and hasty drawings, fascinated by how the world works around him.

Renard wanted more, though. They were so limited within the world they knew as their own. There had to be more out there. It was no secret that some are able to leave the Under Dark and return as they pleased. No one ever guarded the Under Dark. There was no need. The world above was just too bright for the creatures underneath.

So Renard left. He packed up his things and left without a word. The Ratfolk were never close to one another, even family. With there being constant unknowns and dangers, it was easy to suddenly lose the one you love so they never had any ties to one another. Death was a natural occurrence among them. Parents left their kids almost as soon as they are able to fend for themselves. Though Renard knew who his parents and siblings were, they never lived or stayed together. Though all the Ratfolk worked as a community... They were all but strangers to one another.

Renard sought knowledge beyond the dark world of his home. Though the Above World was safer, they all knew that Ratfolk were not accepted easily into society and were often mistreated or mistrusted. That was okay. Renard was not going to make friends. There had to be a better place for him, a place where he could make a difference with his knowledge, maybe even find a place for all of his kind. Because he knew that as soon as he scented the fresh brisk air and saw moonlight for the first time... He could never go back.

The Under Dark

lim-kang-qing-matte5-ruins.jpg

The Shadows
c0dc0b5b7b380f8adfcba12fc7be14ae--shadow-people-shadow-person.jpg

182633-4abbd801946b4603beb05c7c7c9e81a2.jpg

Night Crawlers
Giant-Spider.jpg

Personality
Renard is a reclusive type who keeps to himself. He would rather draw himself into his studies and work. He is a socially awkward being with no real knowledge of how to deal with people. He grew up in solitude despite his vast family members and the few times he did interact with anyone, they treated him harshly, thinking him nothing more than scum.

Renard can come off as a cold individual since he often gives the cold shoulder and doesn't speak much but, when one gets to know him, he is actually a shy and gentle soul. However, at any mention of his work then he perks right up and it would be difficult for one to get him to stop chattering on and on. He would gladly talk excitedly about his work to anyone who was interested and even has deep intellectual conversations with people who could keep up with him.

However, there is another side to Renard that rarely shows... His time in the Under Dark isn't without its scars. Though the Ratfolk have been able to make themselves a decent home that isn't quite as dangerous as other locations within the Under Dark, it is still far from safe. Screams often happen deep in the night(or at least whatever time of day they would normally sleep) from the Night Crawlers that descend upon them in their sleep. Snatching them from their beds and carrying them off to be devoured. A simple expedition would end in bloodshed from being ambushed by the Shadows who lie in wait.

It is never safe. One could never lower their guard for even a second. There is always danger around every corner, everything always out to eat them, their very sanctuary even unsafe from the jaws of creatures that only view them as food. Renard is never safe from this lesson. His nights are filled with the gnashing of teeth and the screeches of the monstrosities that plague his every waking moment. He is brewed to kill to live.

One moment he would seem normal. Withdrawn and dedicated to his work. Other times...it's like a switch goes off. He becomes the animal he is: A rat from the dark, his usual big beady black eyes turning red, piercing and dangerous as the fur rises and becomes wild. The raw animalistic instinct to survive rises in him and he would do anything to survive.

It sometimes becomes clear that he is not always there... Renard will have moments where he seems a little unhinged, sometimes talking to himself when no one else is there. Sometimes he becomes frightened of nothing, believing he sees something that isn't there while other times he would be acting completely normal. Renard often makes himself a concoction for times like these to help calm himself, knowing full well that he isn't all there but has no idea how to fix it save to keep himself calm and focused.

Last edited:
Saila Meg
Saila Meg

Species:

Human

Height:
5'8

Marital Staus:
Single

Sexuality:
Bisexual

Ranking:
Captain​

As lovely as it is to have everything, that doesn't stop one from wanting more...

Saila's story starts like any other mundane tale. She was born on the Sirgrid Isles to a loving couple, Gemba and Dollie Meg. From birth she was given anything and everything she could possibly need or want- anything except freedom.

With the isles being the paradise that they are, there would be no reason for anyone to leave when everything was available to them, but that didn't stop Saila from dreaming of a world far from the ground she stood on, and the stories from the sailors at the docks helped none. Tales of gilled monsters as big as a house, sword swinging bandits, and gold towering higher than a giant. At some point Saila was banned from visiting the docs because of these stories, but she had friends who would lend their ears and whisper to her these amazing stories in the night. Night after night she would dream of sailing away on the blue seas to explore the world she was hidden away from.

For years she dreamed these dreams until she was old enough to find herself a job. Still determined to leave the island, she worked towards getting enough money to buy herself a boat. She would just stow away on one of the boats at the docks, but with her name being so well known they'd never let her step foot on the ship. Her plan, though flawed, was simple, but after a while she was snitched on, and then her parents but the nail in that plan as well. Every she went, people would turn her away. Oh, how she begged for work! Even the oddest job she would take if they would give her a chance! From scrubbing toilets to licking boots but no one would hire her because of her parents' word.

Furious, and now more determined than ever before, she turned to a new way of getting profit: Thieving. With the Isles being subbed the safest place in the world, people were quite loose and careless with how they handled their money, and so it made it easier for her to slip behind them and steal their wallets or jewels that she would then sell at the central marker. Owners buying back their own wear right in front of them. After a while with living good with her flawless routine, she eventually forgot about her dream of leaving the isles. Instead, she spends her time leeching off of others and drinking away her stolen money.

Last edited:
Pirates are fun.

Lmaoooo One Piece is neverending.
Also! I have not forgotten and am working on a character still for you! (That should be done tonight)

• Love