Scrapyard Dogs: An Adventure Based Space RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. Just wanted to make the suggestion.

Power armor sounds like a perfectly good idea. Combat with traditional spacesuits would be... awkward, to say the least.

Anything with traditional spacesuits is awkward. Anything.

Yea, power armor would work rather well, maybe they could lead to weapons mounted (Ala Battlesuits from Mech Warrior) mayhaps, help with the whole losing stuff if a pilot's grip is rattled. Nothing says it would be elegant (Spot welds and uber duct tape), but just a thought there on the power armor idea.

Well, the idea is that there would be different builds of armor for different purposes. Lighter armor has nearly no protection but has the thruster control to dodge anything, provided the wearer had the necessary agility. Heavy armor can't move for shit, but can tank lasers with little trouble. Maybe there can be specialized armor that's basically a space Mech introduced at some point, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll throw up photo references for a better understanding.

In 0 gravity, weight is no issue. Only mass. And comparing body armor that would be miniscule. Thrusters of lighter armor would work just as well on heavier armor even if that armor would be 100kg heavier.

I'm not saying weight is the issue. I'm saying the thrusters are just bad, on heavy armor. If it becomes a problem, I'll make up something. Realism isn't my biggest concern. The point is that heavy armor moves bad for reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, here are some examples of what the power armor might look like for each type.

Heavy
image.jpg

Medium
image.jpg

Light
image.jpg

Just to make sure I'm understanding the level of tech we'll be dealing with; very little of it will be completely intact and fully operable. Getting maximum functionality requires cobbling together different devices and pieces of tech salvaged from various sources. On the off chance we do get our hands on something intact, it will most likely be damaged in some way, meaning we sacrifice most of its functions for whatever thing it still works best at or we scrap it for working parts to combine with something else.

Am I on the right track here?

Sort of. There will be times where you can restore something with no problem, but most of the time, be it due to a lack if parts, know-how, or what have you, you will have to get a little more creative. Other than that, it's pretty varied. Weaponry wise, it's mostly ballistics based. However, melee weapons are preferable as bullets are understandably finicky and hard to find in the space apocalypse. Spaceships, however, have laser based weaponry that, while effective, wastes tons of energy and power. So good luck, with that.

SEMI-HISTORICALLY ACCURATE PIRATE BATTLES IN SPACE

That is what I'm drawing from this. Big cannons on big ships and people flying back and forth between ships to hit each other with swords, fighting to take really old stuff to sell it elsewhere.

Essentially. That's quite accurate, actually. I'm surprised I didn't make that connection earlier...

• Love
Reactions: Crono
Most RPs of this nature essentially boil down to either the navy or pirates, savvy?

So how will weapon tech be like?

Edit: just noticed previous post.

Though powder weapons cant work in vaccum. There are gauss guns

Last edited:
Realism is nonexistent, here. This isn't hard sci-fi. I'm going to say that all bullets of this age are specially made to be fireable in space. Make whatever logic jumps you want, for this. I don't know how it works. It just works.

Yay for lack of excessive realism! One could simply say that since almost all guns are from the space war they and their bullets were modified accordingly.

Maybe. Like I said, make your own conclusions. It just works.

Let us draw a page from the realm of Warhammer 40k, specifically their Orks. It all works because we believe it works, eh?

Awww. But rail guns are cool. Use electro magnetic to launch just about anything. Would work in vaccum.

Then use it. Technically, it's ballistic, so it's not out of question, it's just not a "traditional" ballistic projectile.

Railguns are... Something the IMPF uses to incapacitate ships. They have miniature EMP charges in them, and shit. It's radical. However, the only way a human could handle one is with heavy Power Armor on. The recoil would tear your arm off.

Status
Not open for further replies.