[SCI-FI/FANTASY] ★ The Star Rush ★

Status
Not open for further replies.
...So I was going to make a character with hemokinesis (the ability to telepathically manipulate blood) who would use it for healing and combat.

I glanced over the other profiles' powers to make sure that I wasn't doing anything too similar to anyone else (I'll read them in full later).

And I was totally beaten to it.

Oh well.

I'll have to think of something else before I make this profile then; it shouldn't take long.
If you need any help with ideas, just drop me a PM. I think I broke Bakugou when I helped her out with a character background...

I'm good; I already have another idea (destabilization) and am writing it right now.

[corrupted file]

Name: Raine Blackburn

Position: Doctor

Race: Human

Appearance: Raine has a slender build, standing at about 160 cm, and while not underweight or out of shape, she isn't exactly athletic either. Her skin is caucasian and pale, attributed to her being on a starship without sunlight most of the time. Her eyes are bright green, and she often jokingly remarks that they resemble a cat's. Her facial features are somewhat long and angular, and frequently lit up by a playful smile. The color and style of her hair varies often, but at the moment it is dyed a vibrant red-orange and tied in a ponytail with her bangs hanging on either side of her face (except when she puts it in a bun for an operation, of course). She is farsighted, so a pair of round glasses generally rests delicately on her face, although she swaps them for contact lenses when appropriate. Her arms are covered with tattoos of winged creatures and abstract designs up to the wrist, but they're not usually seen. Her right hand was amputated several years ago and replaced with a bronze prosthetic; clockwork gears can be seen and heard whirring on the back, and the fingers are bone-thin. When not wearing scrubs or the ship's uniform, Raine dresses in a plain red t-shirt beneath a black leather jacket, along with black pants or a black knee-skirt. A leather D-ring collar usually encircles her neck, and a variety of chain-themed jewelry hangs from her wrists.

Personality:

History:

Power: Destabilization

Abilities:
1. Raine can reduce or eliminate the structural integrity of objects around her, physically weakening them or causing them to collapse altogether. She has enough fine control of this ability to shape exactly how much integrity is lost and how far the affect reaches (for example, she could cause a wall to collapse towards either side to create an opening without shaking down the entire building). Additionally, if an affected target is moving, its kinetic energy is reduced until it is brought to a halt. This can effect organic creatures, but to a lesser extent; it makes their skin especially vulnerable to cutting, reduces their blood's ability to coagulate, causes their bones to become more brittle, softens their muscles, and otherwise weakens them, having equivalent effects on organic creatures with different physiology than humans.

2. Additionally, Raine can create an area of destabilization (the maximum size being roughly a thirty foot sphere) which has several effects. Firstly, air pressure is decreased within the field, decreasing the amount of oxygen available (among other effects; I won't go entirely into the science of air pressure here). Objects within the field are slowly destabilized, according to the amount of kinetic energy acting on them; objects with more momentum are affected very quickly (for example, an arrow or bullet flying through the field would most likely disintegrate before exiting) while objects with less are affected slowly. Stationary structures are affected the slowest, but the field can still wear away even stone or metal in a matter of minutes. This field does not directly affect organic beings.

3. As she learns to use her abilities, Raine can even reduce a sentient creature's mental integrity. At its most basic level, this erodes a creature's reasoning and logic, slowing their decision process and making them more likely to make mistakes. As the effect progresses, a creature becomes paranoid and distrustful, suspecting everyone around them of plotting against them. Sustained for long enough, the target begins hallucinating, becoming unable to accurately perceive reality; what they see will depend on the creature. Finally, the last level of the effect renders the creature unconscious as they no longer have the mental ability to maintain a conscious mind. The longer a creature is comatose from this effect, their bodily functions begin to fail as their brain cannot even sustain them; eventually, the heart will stop pumping blood and the target will die. Raine must maintain concentration on this ability to sustain it on a target; while holding it, she cannot move quickly, or focus intently on other subjects, lest she break her concentration, and she is less aware of her surroundings. When her concentration is broken, the effects begin to reverse, although damage done by failing organs is permanent (a creature whose heart stops is still dead).

4. While it's quite difficult, Raine can reverse the effects of her other powers when she grows strong enough--by restabilizing an area, structures piece themselves back together, bones and muscles re-strengthen, skin knits itself back together, kinetic energy destroyed by her first power is restored (which could be dangerous), and so on. Damage does not have to be dealt by Raine for it to restabilized, but what exactly she can restore is very similar to what her other powers can destroy. While restabilization cannot bring back the dead, it can heal a mortal injury by stitching organs back together, expelling substances from the lungs, and so on.

5. At the height of her power, Raine can destabilize reality, within limited range. Everything within a roughly one hundred foot sphere around her is slowly destabilized (as if by her field) and natural laws falter and fail within the radius. Gravity functions erratically, fluctuating in intensity and even randomly reversing. The laws of physics are similarly effected--all three laws of motion could be bent or broken within the field; objects at rest might be randomly pushed and tossed about, force and velocity could vary wildly, and the like. Of course, this enables physics defying feats such as running up a wall (potentially), but the field is very dangerous as well. With a strong enough effect, time itself begins to unravel within the area, varying between flowing faster or slower, or even reversing or hurling things forward or backward through time.

Passive Effects:
1. Raine herself becomes resitant to destabilization; her body and mind become tougher, but in subtle ways. She is just as vulnerable to being cut as anyone else, but her body will heal the wound faster and her blood will quickly coagulate to cut off bloodflow and prevent her from bleeding out. She needs less oxygenated blood to survive, as her body makes extremely efficient use of what she has. She has higher endurance, needs less food to sustain herself, and is dehydrated slower. Her body regulates temperature easier, meaning she succumbs to hypothermia and hyperthermia slower. Mentally, she is no more courageous or less anxious than she would be normally, but telepathic effects have a more difficult time reaching into her mind, and she is physically resistant to being moved by telekinesis as her own mind counterbalances the effect. She can maintain mental integrity even in the face of things that would drive other people insane, and is largely immune to supernatural effects that would erode her reasoning and logic.

Drawbacks:
1. Destabilizing objects physically tires Raine, affected by how much precision and force she exerts.

2. While a destabilization field is active, the air within one foot of her is affected to a lesser degree, meaning she sustains part of the effect she creates.

3. Destabilizing a creature's mind has negative effects on her own mental integrity while she maintains it. At first, she begins to lose her ability to think clearly as all of her mental energy is focused on the mind she is attacking. She begins to hallucinate herself if she holds the effect long enough to inflict another creature with that effect; her own hallucinations will haunt her for several minutes or even longer after she stops sustaining the effect. Note that this bypasses her usual resistance to mental attacks.

4. Restabilization is very taxing, even more so than destabilizing, and even repairing small structures will leave Raine exhausted.

5. Destabilizing reality is extremely taxing--as long as she holds the effect, Raine's body is slowly destabilized. When the effect stops, her passive resistance will begin to correct it, but very slowly--ten minutes of reality bending could keep her bedridden for months. She cannot restabilize herself, but other supernatural healing effects could assist in the reconstruction process.

6. Raine's toughened body comes at a cost; while she becomes more resilient in many ways, her immune system is weakened, making her much more vulnerable to diseases, even simple ones she would otherwise be able to ward off easily. The effects she suffers are not much worse than what other people would suffer because even when her immune system cannot halt a symptom, her general resistance will slowly counteract it. Even so, she will often be ill.

Other Notes: Raine speaks with a carefully cultured received pronunciation accent practiced enough to sound genuine; she says she adopted it for its "old world charm," as it's not as common in the more blended modern day culture.

[error 404: file not found]

WIP, obviously. Her powers are designed with the assumption that the characters grow stronger as their abilities develop and they learn to use them. She would only start with her basic destabilization and perhaps destabilization field, and would gain the other two as time went on. I also operated assuming that the characters would be extremely powerful near the end, since I seem to recall you saying something once about this being a pretty high powered RP (I could be wrong on that).

I honestly do think that concept destabilization will be too much, but I liked the idea and wanted to write it at least just for fun even if I have to edit it out later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, it looks intriguing, but my sleep-addled brain can't take the lack of paragraph spacing! Just space it out a little when you're editing it again, I'll still read through the content though.

If you need any help with ideas, just drop me a PM. I think I broke Bakugou when I helped her out with a character background...
To be fair, you really did pour a staggering amount of effort into your response. Legendary stuff, indeed.

Ah, it looks intriguing, but my sleep-addled brain can't take the lack of paragraph spacing! Just space it out a little when you're editing it again, I'll still read through the content though.
Right, sorry! Spaced it out some. I'll work more on the other fields in a bit, but I want the power solidly defined before everything else.

Right @Valentyne I took a peek at that power and my oh my, it's certainly a potent one! Surprisingly, I'm going to let you keep most of the powers; however, if you can, could you change power 4? It would be very difficult to have a situation that'll use it and instead I think it might be more useful to change it to something that reverses the effect of your destabilization; for example, if Raine dissolved a hole in the hull, we'd be in a lot of trouble indeed unless she could reverse it. You could, if you wanted, have it at the same type of power level which will push a really interesting conflict; this sort of yearning to be able to go back and erase your destructive effects but you can't figure out how to reconstruct without completely mastering the processes...

Seriously though - a doctor that destroys everything? Deliciously ironic. Another thing to keep in mind would be how Tingwink's abilities may be able to counter Raine's; for example, by using your destabilization field and coupling it with Ting's forcefield to produce a 'safe zone', the pair of them could deal some massive damage.

Another thing to remember is that once you break something, it's permanent. So if you choose to try and destabilize someone's finger, be sure to ask said person for permission (although Al'terra's tissue regen. ability may be able to fix that up, they're still missing a finger for a bit) and uh...really try to avoid breaking the ship where possible - it can be quite fatal!

Still, I expected that issue to arise - a bunch of superpowered beings on a wooden spaceship? Collateral damage is a given. That's why the air ventilation system works how it does - if a hole was blasted through the hull we won't all die immediately, but it'd be a priority to patch it up.

Right @Valentyne I took a peek at that power and my oh my, it's certainly a potent one! Surprisingly, I'm going to let you keep most of the powers; however, if you can, could you change power 4? It would be very difficult to have a situation that'll use it and instead I think it might be more useful to change it to something that reverses the effect of your destabilization; for example, if Raine dissolved a hole in the hull, we'd be in a lot of trouble indeed unless she could reverse it. You could, if you wanted, have it at the same type of power level which will push a really interesting conflict; this sort of yearning to be able to go back and erase your destructive effects but you can't figure out how to reconstruct without completely mastering the processes...
Yeah, I didn't expect it to make the cut, so I had a backup power planned. But I like restabilization too, so I think I'll implement both--restabilization will still be a late-game power, though.

Seriously though - a doctor that destroys everything? Deliciously ironic. Another thing to keep in mind would be how Tingwink's abilities may be able to counter Raine's; for example, by using your destabilization field and coupling it with Ting's forcefield to produce a 'safe zone', the pair of them could deal some massive damage.
And, interestingly enough, Raine's powers counter Tingwink's, as she's resistant to telepathic and telekinetic effects. I hadn't read the other powers in detail when I wrote the first draft, so that's actually not intentional, heh.
Another thing to remember is that once you break something, it's permanent. So if you choose to try and destabilize someone's finger, be sure to ask said person for permission (although Al'terra's tissue regen. ability may be able to fix that up, they're still missing a finger for a bit) and uh...really try to avoid breaking the ship where possible - it can be quite fatal!

Still, I expected that issue to arise - a bunch of superpowered beings on a wooden spaceship? Collateral damage is a given. That's why the air ventilation system works how it does - if a hole was blasted through the hull we won't all die immediately, but it'd be a priority to patch it up.
Oh, I'll be careful.

Maybe.

I am looking forward to tearing apart a space pirate ship, though.

EDIT:

Edited the powers; I added restabilization (and a drawback for it) and replaced concept destabilization with a localized reality bending effect. It's similar, but within a comparatively small area and has a much lesser effect, basically bending and breaking the laws of physics temporarily.

EDIT2:

Edited in Appearance. I have a question, though; are cybernetics a thing? I was kind of thinking she could have had a close run in with antimatter in the past, and had an emergency operation to amputate her hand and have it replaced with a cybernetic one before the infection spread, if I'm understanding how antimatter works correctly.

I apologize for taking so long. If I don't have my species done by tomorrow, then I'm most likely just going to go with one of the races you've already got up there.

Also, was wondering if I could steal the role of weapons master for when I get something up? I will get something up, its species is just undecided.

Last edited:
Edited in Appearance. I have a question, though; are cybernetics a thing? I was kind of thinking she could have had a close run in with antimatter in the past, and had an emergency operation to amputate her hand and have it replaced with a cybernetic one before the infection spread, if I'm understanding how antimatter works correctly.
Technology works in a funny way, actually. The easiest, shortest way to describe it is to imagine having all of the stereotypical sci-fi-level technology, but give it a fantasy/steampunk sort of aesthetic. So yes, you'd have prosthetic limbs but they'd probably be made of wood with metal gears and suchlike.

I'll read through your powers now.

I apologize for taking so long. If I don't have my species done by tomorrow, then I'm most likely just going to go with one of the races you've already got up there.

Also, was wondering if I could steal the role of weapons master for when I get something up? I will get something up, its species is just undecided.
Alrighty, you're reserved until 11th June!

• Thank You
Reactions: lostfaith
So I just noticed something.

Ad Astra 9 has two doctors, but no infirmary or otherwise sterilized location to operate.

The living quarters are below the ship, and include:
- One Washroom
- One mess hall (and kitchen)
- One Cargo Bay
- Several small living spaces
- A navigation room (at the second level on the deck, under the safety net)
- An Engine Room (complete with a boiler for central heating and hot water)
- Weapons room
- Meeting room (and lounge!)

Unless this isn't a comprehensive list?

So I just noticed something.

Ad Astra 9 has two doctors, but no infirmary or otherwise sterilized location to operate.

Unless this isn't a comprehensive list?
Yeah, I better go back and put that one in - thanks for pointing it out!

Sorry, yesterday I spent my time writing out an RP advertisement for Star Rush. At the moment, your powers are looking lovely and I love the thought you put into the character's appearance and even little accent. Just tackle those last two big hurdles then you're done!

I'd like to reserve a Weapons Master, if that spot is still vacant.

Ah well, time to work on that race I promised.

If not, I'll take Engineer.

WIP

Plural: Mashin

Physiology: The Mashin have a large plumage, having all kinds of body shapes and sizes, from vehicles to humanoids. They are fully mechanical beings in terms of physiology, but their very souls are still organic in nature. Some may even have pre-installed weapons. They have circuitry akin to spaceships, and like spaceships, they are star-powered, although they can last 30 minutes without their power source inside them. They possess memory chips in their head area. They can be 'revived' into new bodies as long as their memory chip is intact, and their memory chips are hard to destroy, but with great force, you can remove them from the mechanical body.
Their memory chips can be affected by Dark Matter, due to it containing the soul of the once-organic race.

Home World: They live in collective space stations, collectively referred to as the 'Mashin Hive Colony'.

I'd like to reserve a Weapons Master, if that spot is still vacant.

Ah well, time to work on that race I promised.

If not, I'll take Engineer.
I'm afraid Dipper has reserved Weapons Master! We still have 3 engineer spots, however, which you can use.

[corrupted file]

Appearance: Raine has a slender build, standing at about 160 cm, and while not underweight or out of shape, she isn't exactly athletic either. Her skin is caucasian and pale, attributed to her being on a starship without sunlight most of the time. Her eyes are bright green, and she often jokingly remarks that they resemble a cat's. Her facial features are somewhat long and angular, and frequently lit up by a playful smile. The color and style of her hair varies often, but at the moment it is dyed a vibrant red-orange and tied in a ponytail with her bangs hanging on either side of her face (except when she puts it in a bun for an operation, of course). She is farsighted, so a pair of round glasses generally rests delicately on her face, although she swaps them for contact lenses when appropriate. Her arms are covered with tattoos of winged creatures and abstract designs up to the wrist, but they're not usually seen. Her right hand was amputated several years ago and replaced with a bronze prosthetic; clockwork gears can be seen and heard whirring on the back, and the fingers are bone-thin. When not wearing scrubs or the ship's uniform, Raine dresses in a plain red t-shirt beneath a black leather jacket, along with black pants or a black knee-skirt. A leather D-ring collar usually encircles her neck, and a variety of chain-themed jewelry hangs from her wrists.

Personality: Raine is laidback, compassionate, and caring. In a comfortable environment, she's cool and casual, often teasing her companions. She has a constant need to stay moving, often pacing, and always fiddling with her bracelets or pulling at her collar. She doesn't like to stay in one place anymore than she likes to stand still, which is one of the reasons she signed onto the Ad Astra 9; it keeps her traveling. It's generally hard to startle her, and she has a healthy sense of humor and can take a joke at her own expense. Inversely, she takes her duties very seriously and they always come first. Although not exactly squeamish, the sight of blood unnerves her, and seeing a bloodied and bruised friend only strengthens her resolve to do whatever she can to help. She has a strong sense of compassion and morality and will always try to help those who've fallen by the wayside, objecting if the other crew members don't agree with her.

Despite all of this, when the chips are down Raine is anxious and timid. Impending danger always makes her extremely nervous, which can interfere with her job. Despite being armed and trained to use a pistol, actual combat is not something she is comfortable with. In a fight with pirates, she's more likely to stay back and attempt to extract wounded comrades than actually fire her weapon. However, when a friend is in severe danger, she'll gladly take a bullet for them. Even small things can send her spiraling into depression and disarm her generally casual exterior, but she can bounce back just as easily.

She suffers from lingering post traumatic stress disorder from her brush with antimatter several years ago. Even the thought of fighting Lost Ones can cause her to breakdown, and she's paralyzed with fear whenever that becomes a reality. She's frequently plagued by night terrors, and thus often lacks sleep. Her mechanical hand is a touchy subject, as to her it's just a reminder of the incident, and she'll become defensive and anxious if it's mentioned.

History: "Raine" was born on Space Station Elizabeth as Lily Adair, the daughter of a prominent political figure. During her childhood, she was brought up with the expectation that she would also go into "diplomacy," and her mother's treatment of her reflected this. At this young age, Lily really didn't understand the point of what she saw as a bunch of adults arguing over meaningless things. When she turned ten, her parents her furious to learn that she had scored highest not in defense and diplomacy--but in the medical field. They went so far as to thrown their weight around to get her to take the test again, insisting there had been a mistake. The results were identical, and there was nothing they could do as Lily went into medicine. However, the girl embraced the profession chosen by her and was enthusiastic in her studies. However, by the time she graduated, she had become anxious and depressed, overcome by a desire to go somewhere instead of spending her entire life tending patients on Elizabeth. Additionally, her family relations had soured, and they were making things hard on her. Fed up with it all, Lily Adair took a weapons class, changed her name, and signed onto the Ad Astra 9--becoming Raine Blackburn.

Her first year in the new environment was a rough one, as she found that she wasn't prepared for life on a star harvester. However, she felt more carefree and liberated than she ever had before, and as her bonds with her crewmates grew, she began to consider them her new family, having been estranged from her biological one for years. She grew accustomed to her role, but there was one thing she could never get used to--the fighting. Attacks by Lost Ones and pirates were an extremely real threat on a starship, and even with moderate skill with a pistol, Raine found she simply wasn't suited to taking life, as opposed to preserving it. Regardless, she loved her new life.

Seven years after signing on, Raine almost died in a skirmish with Lost Ones. A runner had gotten by the others to her, and it tore apart several tendons in her leg with its claws and bit her right hand before it was drowned. While several crew members continued fighting on the deck, she was rushed to the operating room, where Al'terra amputated her hand and destroyed it before the infection could spread. Left with a stump and a leg that never quite healed fully (leaving her with a permanent limp), Raine would have taken quiet life on the station over fighting on a star harvester. However, her companions convinced her to stay, and she reluctantly agreed. When they returned to civilization, she was fitted with a mechanical prosthetic, but a new hand didn't help her mind. Without being in port constantly enough for consistent therapy, Raine wrestled PTSD and depression for years afterward. While three years later she's on the path to recovery, some scars never heal.

Abilities:
1. Raine can reduce or eliminate the structural integrity of objects around her, physically weakening them or causing them to collapse altogether. She has enough fine control of this ability to shape exactly how much integrity is lost and how far the affect reaches (for example, she could cause a wall to collapse towards either side to create an opening without shaking down the entire building). Additionally, if an affected target is moving, its kinetic energy is reduced until it is brought to a halt. This can effect organic creatures, but to a lesser extent; it makes their skin especially vulnerable to cutting, reduces their blood's ability to coagulate, causes their bones to become more brittle, softens their muscles, and otherwise weakens them, having equivalent effects on organic creatures with different physiology than humans.

2. Additionally, Raine can create an area of destabilization (the maximum size being roughly a thirty foot sphere) which has several effects. Firstly, air pressure is decreased within the field, decreasing the amount of oxygen available (among other effects; I won't go entirely into the science of air pressure here). Objects within the field are slowly destabilized, according to the amount of kinetic energy acting on them; objects with more momentum are affected very quickly (for example, an arrow or bullet flying through the field would most likely disintegrate before exiting) while objects with less are affected slowly. Stationary structures are affected the slowest, but the field can still wear away even stone or metal in a matter of minutes. This field does not directly affect organic beings.

3. As she learns to use her abilities, Raine can even reduce a sentient creature's mental integrity. At its most basic level, this erodes a creature's reasoning and logic, slowing their decision process and making them more likely to make mistakes. As the effect progresses, a creature becomes paranoid and distrustful, suspecting everyone around them of plotting against them. Sustained for long enough, the target begins hallucinating, becoming unable to accurately perceive reality; what they see will depend on the creature. Finally, the last level of the effect renders the creature unconscious as they no longer have the mental ability to maintain a conscious mind. The longer a creature is comatose from this effect, their bodily functions begin to fail as their brain cannot even sustain them; eventually, the heart will stop pumping blood and the target will die. Raine must maintain concentration on this ability to sustain it on a target; while holding it, she cannot move quickly, or focus intently on other subjects, lest she break her concentration, and she is less aware of her surroundings. When her concentration is broken, the effects begin to reverse, although damage done by failing organs is permanent (a creature whose heart stops is still dead).

4. While it's quite difficult, Raine can reverse the effects of her other powers when she grows strong enough--by restabilizing an area, structures piece themselves back together, bones and muscles re-strengthen, skin knits itself back together, kinetic energy destroyed by her first power is restored (which could be dangerous), and so on. Damage does not have to be dealt by Raine for it to restabilized, but what exactly she can restore is very similar to what her other powers can destroy. While restabilization cannot bring back the dead, it can heal a mortal injury by stitching organs back together, expelling substances from the lungs, and so on.

5. At the height of her power, Raine can destabilize reality, within limited range. Everything within a roughly one hundred foot sphere around her is slowly destabilized (as if by her field) and natural laws falter and fail within the radius. Gravity functions erratically, fluctuating in intensity and even randomly reversing. The laws of physics are similarly effected--all three laws of motion could be bent or broken within the field; objects at rest might be randomly pushed and tossed about, force and velocity could vary wildly, and the like. Of course, this enables physics defying feats such as running up a wall (potentially), but the field is very dangerous as well. With a strong enough effect, time itself begins to unravel within the area, varying between flowing faster or slower, or even reversing or hurling things forward or backward through time.

Passive Effects:
1. Raine herself becomes resitant to destabilization; her body and mind become tougher, but in subtle ways. She is just as vulnerable to being cut as anyone else, but her body will heal the wound faster and her blood will quickly coagulate to cut off bloodflow and prevent her from bleeding out. She needs less oxygenated blood to survive, as her body makes extremely efficient use of what she has. She has higher endurance, needs less food to sustain herself, and is dehydrated slower. Her body regulates temperature easier, meaning she succumbs to hypothermia and hyperthermia slower. Mentally, she is no more courageous or less anxious than she would be normally, but telepathic effects have a more difficult time reaching into her mind, and she is physically resistant to being moved by telekinesis as her own mind counterbalances the effect. She can maintain mental integrity even in the face of things that would drive other people insane, and is largely immune to supernatural effects that would erode her reasoning and logic.

Drawbacks:
1. Destabilizing objects physically tires Raine, affected by how much precision and force she exerts.

2. While a destabilization field is active, the air within one foot of her is affected to a lesser degree, meaning she sustains part of the effect she creates.

3. Destabilizing a creature's mind has negative effects on her own mental integrity while she maintains it. At first, she begins to lose her ability to think clearly as all of her mental energy is focused on the mind she is attacking. She begins to hallucinate herself if she holds the effect long enough to inflict another creature with that effect; her own hallucinations will haunt her for several minutes or even longer after she stops sustaining the effect. Note that this bypasses her usual resistance to mental attacks.

4. Restabilization is very taxing, even more so than destabilizing, and even repairing small structures will leave Raine exhausted.

5. Destabilizing reality is extremely taxing--as long as she holds the effect, Raine's body is slowly destabilized. When the effect stops, her passive resistance will begin to correct it, but very slowly--ten minutes of reality bending could keep her bedridden for months. She cannot restabilize herself, but other supernatural healing effects could assist in the reconstruction process.

6. Raine's toughened body comes at a cost; while she becomes more resilient in many ways, her immune system is weakened, making her much more vulnerable to diseases, even simple ones she would otherwise be able to ward off easily. The effects she suffers are not much worse than what other people would suffer because even when her immune system cannot halt a symptom, her general resistance will slowly counteract it. Even so, she will often be ill.

Other Notes: Raine speaks with a carefully cultured received pronunciation accent practiced enough to sound genuine; she says she adopted it for its "old world charm," as it's not as common in the more blended modern day culture.

Whew. Glad to have this done!

[corrupted_file]

lpzTto9ZEHOl7haxpfKlthZPHJP3U71qUs0R9t58bCfFZTk-5IUYtTFNGoCLkx-uEfuKxGj9gw8lzwgsU0wpw5XcAEGu0m4tJUAsFOuC6u7qjJPdfJ6JwYmbM9z0DbqJIR32yqz7HyeGDGCntg=s0-d-e1-ft

NAME: Xago Largakh
NICKNAME(S): Lark
POSITION: Navigator/Advisor/First Mate
RACE: Glitok

APPEARANCE: Xago makes a stately figure at an unusually lean 6'5", hard muscle packed beneath his pale green skin. Unpictured: his dark brown hair is styled in shoulder-length dreadlocks, usually tied back in a loose ponytail or bun, and the "whites" of his eyes are actually a pale, pale blue, capped by slanted ovular eyebrows. Unless he is surveying the ship to examine special repairs or engaged in combat, Xago is almost always in his Ad Astra 9 uniform; it is assumed he bathes without it, but even in ten years no one has seen any physical evidence. Despite this apparent obsession, Xago takes special care to keep himself clean and well-put together.

To say Xago's body structure is unusual for a glitok would be an understatement. He is a veritable runt, lacking considerably in both height and girth, with lean, hard muscle instead of the mountainous upper body typical of his kind. Although he is physically weaker than other glitoks, Xago's smaller size gives him a definite advantage in both speed and agility over other members of his species. His fingers and toes also end in blackened, pointed claws, giving him some added offensive merit in hand-to-hand combat. His upper right chest bears four 6-inch parallel scars about an inch-and-a-half apart, a remnant mark of his old clan, the Ironclaws.

---

At first glance
Lacking the directly aggressive nature of his kinsmen, Xago is instead quiet and non-confrontational, more likely to break up a fight than participate in one. He is professional in situations where professionalism is due, but generally prefers to keep to himself. Even after abandoning his clan early in his teenaged years, Xago is still reluctant to show any kind of weakness, including genuine emotion, that so often made him a target of his peers back on Uzkrok. However, he is perfectly wiling to give logical, well-formulated advice when asked for it.

In conflict
Although Xago tries his best to avoid unnecessary strife, conflict is, of course, unavoidable when working on a small starship like the Ad Astra 9. If the glitok offends one of his crewmates (which doesn't happen particularly often), he usually won't understand why or how until it is explained to him. However, once he knows and accepts what he did was wrong, Xago is quick to deliver a thorough apology; although he is not the most emotionally savvy, the glitok does understand the value of a crew with few internal conflicts. If he has been slighted, Xago expects the same out of his crewmates: a direct, polite apology, and nothing less.

As the First Mate, Xago handles disagreements between other crewmates in a swift and just manner. If the situation is too emotionally charged for him to view logically, he will defer to his Captain for assistance, though will consider himself a failure for having done so. Later in his career on the Ad Astra 9, Xago is more understanding of his individual crewmates' personal struggles. He is always willing to lend an ear when needed, even if he doesn't always have the right words; although he still has difficulties in expressing appropriate emotional responses, the glitok has become an adept, careful listener. In the past few years he has even started to consider emotional expression as a strength, not a weakness, though he still has trouble talking about his own personal struggles without feeling ashamed.

Xago's innate aptitude for combat is especially apparent when the ship is under attack. His mind works more quickly and decisively under the pressure of battle, and when faced with enemies he is atypically ruthless. It took years of training for Xago to control his basic glitok nature in combat, but if the situation is desperate enough he will lose his characteristic rationality and become exceedingly, mindlessly violent. It takes some time for him to physically calm down after such an episode, and takes even longer to get over the guilt and shame he feels for having lost control. Outside of direct battle, he is an excellent militant strategist, and works to come up with battle plans that minimize the loss of time and water.

Relationships
It took several years for Xago to be able to connect to his crewmates on a personal level. His professional, distant manner kept him from bonding with the people he now considers friends- not to mention made him a popular target for playful teasing (which, needless to say, he rarely understood). Over time the glitok grew closer to his crew, and would now do anything to keep them safe. He is highly protective of his Captain, her ship, and the people in it, which is perhaps his greatest asset in the position of First Mate.

[Individual relationships will be added as the RP progresses.]

Position aboard the Ad Astra 9
Xago manages the crew of the Ad Astra with a calm, firm authority. In his first few weeks as First Mate, the glitok took time to assess each crew member's technical strengths and weaknesses, and even now keeps a careful mental catalog of them for future use. He has a very deep respect for his Captain and other figures of authority, though treats each crew member with dignity and appreciation. Despite his success as First Mate, Xago's true gift lies in cartography and navigation. He enjoys knowing precisely where things are and how best to reach them, and often disappears for hours into the Navigation Room to pore over his many treasured maps.

Dreams/desires
Although he would never admit it, Xago has a soft spot for children and other young people. He feels a strong drive to protect them, perhaps as a result of his own tumultuous childhood. Xago secretly wishes to settle down and have a child before he dies, but with a low reproduction rate among the glitoks he knows this dream is unlikely... especially given his unconventional appearance and attitude.
---

The Ironclaws were a small clan on the verge of extinction, still paying the price for having joined the great glitok enlightenment late in the game. The Ironclaws were plagued by a lack of adaptability; just as they had caught up to modern styles of weapons technology, the focus of neighboring clans shifted toward harvesting stars. Without at least a few stars, the Ironclaw elders realized, they would be wiped off the face of Uzkrok by more powerful and technologically-advanced enemies. The small clan, consisting of less than 30 members, begun hopeless attempts at developing the aerospace equipment necessary to stay alive in their brutal world, and it was around this time that Xago Largakh was born.

Xago's childhood was filled with steel and fire. He began working in the clan's engineering labs at only 4 years old, fetching different tools and materials for the older glitoks as they hammered away at their projects. The Ironclaws had no time to raise children, so Xago grew up quickly; with no other children in the clan to play and spar with, it was easy. Necessity demanded that he make himself useful, and he did, both in the engineering labs and in battle. Border spats were frequent and vicious, and with few enough members already, the Ironclaws needed every able-bodied glitok ready to put down their work and defend their territory at each new attack. Xago killed his first at the age of eight, though by the time the Ironclaws were absorbed into Bristlechew around two years later he had killed as any many as twelve, many of whom were barely more than children themselves. Xago is not proud of this.

Somehow the Ironclaws had developed a new type of catapult specialized for combat in space, a small breakthrough that probably wouldn't have saved them even if Bristlechew hadn't noticed. As it was, the legendary clan heard news of it, formed an interest, and took what they wanted by force. Many of the Ironclaws accepted the inevitable abandonment of their Bloodmother and joined Bristlechew, Xago included. He was ten, a young teenager, and found a place in the new clan more easily than his older clanmates. Young Xago's hard-working attitude and impressive focus made him an ideal candidate for engineering, though after about a year his interest shifted toward cartography. He took up an apprenticeship with an old navigator, Ilma, whose unusually passive and gentle demeanor strongly connected with Xago's own quiet personality.

Ilma's work took the pair up to space and into the Bristlechew fleet, a massive, incredibly advanced collection of sleek spacecraft. The two years Xago spent learning from Ilma aboard the older glitok's ship, the Duzhong 11, were the happiest years of his life. The young apprentice learned quickly, needing to hear the theory behind a concept only once before committing it to memory. Eventually Ilma decided that Xago the experience of joining his own crew, and quietly arranged a pod for his student to escape to the Space Station Sophia. As Ilma had predicted, Xago found work almost immediately upon arriving at the Sophia, even though his first job was as a deckhand on a fairly sleazy, back-alley starship.

Over the next ten years Xago climbed up the ladder aboard a variety of ships, and left each with even better reviews and references than the last. One year he was a low-level engineer on a luxury ship, the next he'd find work drafting preliminary routes for a star barge. In the five years before applying for the job on the Ad Astra 9, Xago had been one of several advisors on an enormous defense ship, working in navigation on the side. He grew weary of the militant lifestyle that reminded him so much of his childhood, however, and was soon selected for his best job yet: navigator, advisor, AND First Mate on a small and agile starship, the Ad Astra 9.

In his first few years aboard the Ad Astra 9, Xago was very distant with his crewmates and Captain, and only held his position through sheer ability. After working on other ships in the past, he thought he had grown accustomed to the unique blend of emotions and attitudes that come with every crew. However, as Xago soon found out, the crew of the Ad Astra 9 was especially insane. It took him months to approach a crewmate about non-essential business, and even longer to engage in an actual, genuine conversation- and his new nickname 'Lark', a crude variant of his last name Largakh, irritated him to no end. However, once Lark began to view his crew's diversity as an advantage rather than a complication, he grew more accepting, more patient with them. The glitok started to use his time aboard the Ad Astra 9 as a learning opportunity, and consequently saw more personal development in the last few years than he had in the past 30.
---

POWER: Hyper-awareness. Xago's powers are focused around understanding and adapting to his environment.

ABILITIES:
1 - Active Spatial Awareness. Xago has a 'map' of the surrounding area in his head (it's a spherical model, so on the Ad Astra 9 he will eventually be able to 'see' onto multiple floors at once), and can focus on smaller parts of it to see what's generally going on or where people are, even if he isn't in the same room. Details are harder to see, so focusing on things like what people are doing or analyzing an object take more skill and produce more drawbacks. His scope will expand with time and practice.
2 - Empathy. If there are other people in the room, Xago can understand what they're feeling, even if they show no outwardly display of emotion. With added energy, he can influence their mood, whether by calming them down to the point of sleep or inciting anger/restlessness.
3 - Telepathy. This power will take some time to be able to control. Fairly self-explanatory; he can hear others' thoughts, or plant his own voice into their head.

PASSIVE EFFECTS:
1 - General Spatial awareness. He is acutely aware of his surroundings, including what direction he's facing (to an extremely accurate degree), how quickly he's traveling, the temperature, and other similar conditions.
2 - Innate Capability. ...The ability to instantly know or at least have a general understanding of the complexity of objects within his scope.

DRAWBACKS:
1 - Can cause severe headaches and migraines with progressive use; can also cause blood vessels in his eyes to break, even though the ability is not reliant on eyesight. Is more difficult to use if objects/people within his scope are moving quickly.
2 - Can unintentionally influence the moods of the people around him if he is feeling particularly strongly. If used in excess, will also confuse or sicken the target of the mood change when the emotion wears off. Usually sickens Xago to use as well.
3 - Can cause severe headaches and migraines with progressive use. Also, can make Xago feel very nauseous, and makes him susceptible to mental attack.
4 - Passive effects. Drains quickly when in a new surrounding due to all of the stimuli his mind instantly processes. Cannot fully grasp overly-complicated objects such as computers or sophisticated weaponry.

[error 404: file not found]​

[ CORRUPTED_FILE ]

murderer_by_wespenfresser.jpg

[BCOLOR=transparent]NAME: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Sterren Maurakarau.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]NICKNAME(S): [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Sputnik, Fluffy (much to his chagrin).[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]POSITION: Weapons Master.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]AGE: 37.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]RACE: GMH.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]GENDER: Male.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]APPEARANCE: Standing at an inherited height of six-feet, Sterren is somewhat an imposing figure with a dense musculature built to lift beneath thick grey and white fur. Most of this fur, most noticeably that around his face, is well groomed or at least brushed and smoothed, with the occasional braid here threaded into where it grows the longest. He beads these braids according to the first emotion he feels of the day, and the colors can range from bright red to cool silver. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Most features are sharp, excluding the rounded orbital socket of his eyes. White markings framing pale silver-blue eyes add character to his many expressions, and his nose always seems to be doggishly wet. The fur that makes up his mostly exposed upper body covers him entirely, and his bone structure resembles that of a human male; plantigrade feet tipped with dark claw-like nails, and clawed five-fingered hands.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]In terms of clothing, Sterren prefers pants and pants only; all uniforms are cut to fit this preference, or folded back if modifying isn't allowed. Likes boots, but only black ones.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]---[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]PERSONALITY: At first, Sterren is gruff and ornery and perhaps a bit distant. But beyond a cool exterior is a fondness for music and the company of others, as well as a hobby of writing war poetry. Although he has never taken part in a war, he enjoys the tales and heroics and is something of an idealist at heart. Unfortunately, his moral compass is a bit broken and hangs low in the grey, ambivalent about the suffering of others beyond his extended family and friends. And despite his race's reputation for snobbish attitudes, Sterren only seems to show evidence of his upperclass upbringing when poetry, music, or other cultural pieces are involved.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Sterren is quick to call someone [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]friend[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] and accept them into the group, often looking down on judging before knowing-- he calls it "detrimental to future relationships and unnecessarily cruel". He prefers to be accepting and make his judgements after he's gotten to know his new acquaintance, but won't refrain from making his feelings known regarding someone's personal hygiene or habits. Or their face, if he's feeling snarky.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hard to impress but difficult to disappoint, he expects only the best out of his misfit family and encourages them properly. Usually with heavy hands on the shoulder or a rough pat on the back. All in all, Sterren is a lot like a grumpy-friendly parent or older sibling who likes to blow things up, probably gives terrible relationship advice, and can put together a rifle with no limbs and a blindfold. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]HISTORY: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]S[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]terren was born and raised on Yaedon. Reared mostly by uncles and older cousins under the watch of his aloof progenitors, Sterren learned history, art, and literature to fit his position as his parents' son. He was rambunctious as a child, with a knack for music and storytelling, but his emotional distance from both parents and the weakening link between him and his surrogates (busy uncles, tired cousins) prevented him from getting very far with his talent. It wasn't quite good enough, never quite what his parents had hoped to come of their union. He was, however, a remarkably pretty child, so they had that. [/BCOLOR]

As he entered his teen years, Sterren's interest in music waned and he took up woodcarving; his natural talent for music and its instruments lending itself to a small business during early adulthood in the design and construction of unique instruments. His first being pianos carved from oak and accented with his signature ivory designs and mounts. They sold well at first, but never quite satisfied his urge to create. It came as quite a shock when, presented with the opportunity to design the fancy outer shells of defensive weaponry for an upperclassman, that he discovered his "true calling".

Sterren hadn't ever been truly aggressive in his life, but weapons, regardless of their purpose, intrigued him. What money he had that wasn't spent on living was put towards texts on electrical theory, mathematics, engineering, and pyrotechnics. This drained most of his funds and left him penniless, but didn't deter him one bit. He stuffed his mind full of information and applied at the nearest trade school, and next thing he knew, he was on the payroll of a small but reliable defense agency. He spent many of these years building and designing offensive and defensive weaponry. Though he never ascended in rank very often due to a lazy complacence, early life worked out well for Sterren.

But as smooth as life can be, very few ever enjoy an easy or average life. At Sterren looked for more, and found the perfect opportunity among the stars aboard the Ad Astra 9.

His time aboard the ship has been enjoyable, to say the least, and despite his rough exterior, Sterren has made friends with his crewmates, and now views them as something of a replacement family.
[BCOLOR=transparent]POWER: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Technopathy.[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]ABILITIES: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]1. Tech Manipulation - Sterren can freely manipulate most technology with a thought, though it is usually accompanied by a dramatic action such as a wave of the hand. He's hardly subtle.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]2 - Technopathic Assembly - It requires little thought for Sterren to assemble a gadget or weapon as if it were a second nature. This has often led others to believe he's simply a master multitasker.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]3 - Energy Distribution - Energy gathered from his natural electric field can be used to jumpstart, overload, or charge most technology.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]PASSIVE EFFECTS: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]1 - Immediate Comprehension - Sterren's unique ability allows him to understand the inner workings of most devices almost instantly, either with a touch or a look inside.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]2 - Electrical Charge - A field of electricity that constantly builds over time. This can cause static if left to build for too long.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]DRAWBACKS: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]1 - Unfamiliar tech, such as what he's never seen or heard of before, is astonishingly difficult to manipulate. This includes the most alien of technologies. Due to this, Sterren keeps to manipulating his own tech, and only branches out when necessary.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]2 - New devices require a long period of planning, and his first time building the gadget, while done in significantly less time than average, still takes more time than it does for him to build something he's experienced with.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]3 - Sterren doesn't have full control over the amount distributed, and can occasionally overcharge or fritz tech if he's not focusing.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]4 - His electrical field requires weekly "shedding" in the form of either distribution, EMP, or other methods. Too much charge can cause static or mess with electrical devices.[/BCOLOR]

[ ERROR 404 - FILE NOT FOUND ]

Last edited:
[corrupted file]

Personality: Raine is laidback, compassionate, and caring. In a comfortable environment, she's cool and casual, often teasing her companions. She has a constant need to stay moving, often pacing, and always fiddling with her bracelets or pulling at her collar. She doesn't like to stay in one place anymore than she likes to stand still, which is one of the reasons she signed onto the Ad Astra 9; it keeps her traveling. It's generally hard to startle her, and she has a healthy sense of humor and can take a joke at her own expense. Inversely, she takes her duties very seriously and they always come first. Although not exactly squeamish, the sight of blood unnerves her, and seeing a bloodied and bruised friend only strengthens her resolve to do whatever she can to help. She has a strong sense of compassion and morality and will always try to help those who've fallen by the wayside, objecting if the other crew members don't agree with her.

Despite all of this, when the chips are down Raine is anxious and timid. Impending danger always makes her extremely nervous, which can interfere with her job. Despite being armed and trained to use a pistol, actual combat is not something she is comfortable with. In a fight with pirates, she's more likely to stay back and attempt to extract wounded comrades than actually fire her weapon. However, when a friend is in severe danger, she'll gladly take a bullet for them. Even small things can send her spiraling into depression and disarm her generally casual exterior, but she can bounce back just as easily.

She suffers from lingering post traumatic stress disorder from her brush with antimatter several years ago. Even the thought of fighting Lost Ones can cause her to breakdown, and she's paralyzed with fear whenever that becomes a reality. She's frequently plagued by night terrors, and thus often lacks sleep. Her mechanical hand is a touchy subject, as to her it's just a reminder of the incident, and she'll become defensive and anxious if it's mentioned.

History: "Raine" was born on Space Station Elizabeth as Lily Adair, the daughter of a prominent political figure. During her childhood, she was brought up with the expectation that she would also go into "diplomacy," and her mother's treatment of her reflected this. At this young age, Lily really didn't understand the point of what she saw as a bunch of adults arguing over meaningless things. When she turned ten, her parents her furious to learn that she had scored highest not in defense and diplomacy--but in the medical field. They went so far as to thrown their weight around to get her to take the test again, insisting there had been a mistake. The results were identical, and there was nothing they could do as Lily went into medicine. However, the girl embraced the profession chosen by her and was enthusiastic in her studies. However, by the time she graduated, she had become anxious and depressed, overcome by a desire to go somewhere instead of spending her entire life tending patients on Elizabeth. Additionally, her family relations had soured, and they were making things hard on her. Fed up with it all, Lily Adair took a weapons class, changed her name, and signed onto the Ad Astra 9--becoming Raine Blackburn.

Her first year in the new environment was a rough one, as she found that she wasn't prepared for life on a star harvester. However, she felt more carefree and liberated than she ever had before, and as her bonds with her crewmates grew, she began to consider them her new family, having been estranged from her biological one for years. She grew accustomed to her role, but there was one thing she could never get used to--the fighting. Attacks by Lost Ones and pirates were an extremely real threat on a starship, and even with moderate skill with a pistol, Raine found she simply wasn't suited to taking life, as opposed to preserving it. Regardless, she loved her new life.

Seven years after signing on, Raine almost died in a skirmish with Lost Ones. A runner had gotten by the others to her, and it tore apart several tendons in her leg with its claws and bit her right hand before it was drowned. While several crew members continued fighting on the deck, she was rushed to the operating room, where Al'terra amputated her hand and destroyed it before the infection could spread. Left with a stump and a leg that never quite healed fully (leaving her with a permanent limp), Raine would have taken quiet life on the station over fighting on a star harvester. However, her companions convinced her to stay, and she reluctantly agreed. When they returned to civilization, she was fitted with a mechanical prosthetic, but a new hand didn't help her mind. Without being in port constantly enough for consistent therapy, Raine wrestled PTSD and depression for years afterward. While three years later she's on the path to recovery, some scars never heal.

Abilities:
Raine can reduce or eliminate the structural integrity of objects around her, physically weakening them or causing them to collapse altogether. She has enough fine control of this ability to shape exactly how much integrity is lost and how far the affect reaches (for example, she could cause a wall to collapse towards either side to create an opening without shaking down the entire building). Additionally, if an affected target is moving, its kinetic energy is reduced until it is brought to a halt. This can effect organic creatures, but to a lesser extent; it makes their skin especially vulnerable to cutting, reduces their blood's ability to coagulate, causes their bones to become more brittle, softens their muscles, and otherwise weakens them, having equivalent effects on organic creatures with different physiology than humans.

Passive Effects:
Raine herself becomes resitant to destabilization; her body and mind become tougher, but in subtle ways. She is just as vulnerable to being cut as anyone else, but her body will heal the wound faster and her blood will quickly coagulate to cut off bloodflow and prevent her from bleeding out. She needs less oxygenated blood to survive, as her body makes extremely efficient use of what she has. She has higher endurance, needs less food to sustain herself, and is dehydrated slower. Her body regulates temperature easier, meaning she succumbs to hypothermia and hyperthermia slower. Mentally, she is no more courageous or less anxious than she would be normally, but telepathic effects have a more difficult time reaching into her mind, and she is physically resistant to being moved by telekinesis as her own mind counterbalances the effect. She can maintain mental integrity even in the face of things that would drive other people insane, and is largely immune to supernatural effects that would erode her reasoning and logic.

Drawbacks:
Destabilizing objects physically tires Raine, affected by how much precision and force she exerts.

Whew. Glad to have this done!

Okay then, let's have a look-see.

Actually, everything seems to be in order, more-or-less! Take into account that there's a high possibility that your crew-members will know of your character's real name and background - quite a lot of these folk seem to be secret-keepers though, which works well in your character's situation. For example, I imagine Tingwink was able to do some digging prior to letting Raine onboard and found out but kept her mouth shut...she's a weird one. I find it especially intriguing how her background will affect her reaction to her power - destabilisation, after all, would work in a similar way to antimatter corrupting and removing healthy tissue...and she lost a hand to that kind of nonsense a few years back.

It's only been 3 years since that incident - I'm fairly sure it'll still be considerably difficult for Raine. Nevertheless, I'm glad we're really nailing down this pseudo-family bond between characters even prior to the IC getting set up (WHICH, BY THE WAY, I AM VERY EXCITED FOR.) Everything seems to be in order, too.

[BCOLOR=transparent]
murderer_by_wespenfresser.jpg
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]NAME: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Sterren Maurakarau.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]NICKNAME(S): [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Sputnik, Fluffy (much to his chagrin).[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]POSITION: Weapons Master.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]AGE: 37.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]RACE: GMH.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]GENDER: Male.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]APPEARANCE: Standing at an inherited height of six-feet, Sterren is somewhat an imposing figure with a dense musculature built to lift beneath thick grey and white fur. Most of this fur, most noticeably that around his face, is well groomed or at least brushed and smoothed, with the occasional braid here threaded into where it grows the longest. He beads these braids according to the first emotion he feels of the day, and the colors can range from bright red to cool silver. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Most features are sharp, excluding the rounded orbital socket of his eyes. White markings framing pale silver-blue eyes add character to his many expressions, and his nose always seems to be doggishly wet. The fur that makes up his mostly exposed upper body covers him entirely, and his bone structure resembles that of a human male; plantigrade feet tipped with dark claw-like nails, and clawed five-fingered hands.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]In terms of clothing, Sterren prefers pants and pants only; all uniforms are cut to fit this preference, or folded back if modifying isn't allowed. Likes boots, but only black ones.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]PERSONALITY: At first, Sterren is gruff and ornery and perhaps a bit distant. But beyond a cool exterior is a fondness for music and the company of others, as well as a hobby of writing war poetry. Although he has never taken part in a war, he enjoys the tales and heroics and is something of an idealist at heart. Unfortunately, his moral compass is a bit broken and hangs low in the grey, ambivalent about the suffering of others beyond his extended family and friends. And despite his race's reputation for snobbish attitudes, Sterren only seems to show evidence of his upperclass upbringing when poetry, music, or other cultural pieces are involved.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Sterren is quick to call someone [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]friend[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] and accept them into the group, often looking down on judging before knowing-- he calls it "detrimental to future relationships and unnecessarily cruel". He prefers to be accepting and make his judgements after he's gotten to know his new acquaintance, but won't refrain from making his feelings known regarding someone's personal hygiene or habits. Or their face, if he's feeling snarky.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hard to impress but difficult to disappoint, he expects only the best out of his misfit family and encourages them properly. Usually with heavy hands on the shoulder or a rough pat on the back. All in all, Sterren is a lot like a grumpy-friendly parent or older sibling who likes to blow things up, probably gives terrible relationship advice, and can put together a rifle with no limbs and a blindfold. [/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]HISTORY: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]S[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]terren was born and raised on Yaedon. Reared mostly by uncles and older cousins under the watch of his aloof progenitors, Sterren learned history, art, and literature to fit his position as his parents' son. He was rambunctious as a child, with a knack for music and storytelling, but his emotional distance from both parents and the weakening link between him and his surrogates (busy uncles, tired cousins) prevented him from getting very far with his talent. It wasn't quite good enough, never quite what his parents had hoped to come of their union. He was, however, a remarkably pretty child, so they had that. [/BCOLOR]

As he entered his teen years, Sterren's interest in music waned and he took up woodcarving; his natural talent for music and its instruments lending itself to a small business during early adulthood in the design and construction of unique instruments. His first being pianos carved from oak and accented with his signature ivory designs and mounts. They sold well at first, but never quite satisfied his urge to create. It came as quite a shock when, presented with the opportunity to design the fancy outer shells of defensive weaponry for an upperclassman, that he discovered his "true calling".

Sterren hadn't ever been truly aggressive in his life, but weapons, regardless of their purpose, intrigued him. What money he had that wasn't spent on living was put towards texts on electrical theory, mathematics, engineering, and pyrotechnics. This drained most of his funds and left him penniless, but didn't deter him one bit. He stuffed his mind full of information and applied at the nearest trade school, and next thing he knew, he was on the payroll of a small but reliable defense agency. He spent many of these years building and designing offensive and defensive weaponry. Though he never ascended in rank very often due to a lazy complacence, early life worked out well for Sterren.

But as smooth as life can be, very few ever enjoy an easy or average life. At Sterren looked for more, and found the perfect opportunity among the stars aboard the Ad Astra 9.

His time aboard the ship has been enjoyable, to say the least, and despite his rough exterior, Sterren has made friends with his crewmates, and now views them as something of a replacement family.
[BCOLOR=transparent]POWER: [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Technopathy.[/BCOLOR]​

[BCOLOR=transparent]ABILITIES: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]1. Tech Manipulation - Sterren can freely manipulate most technology with a thought, though it is usually accompanied by a dramatic action such as a wave of the hand. He's hardly subtle.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]2 - Technopathic Assembly - It requires little thought for Sterren to assemble a gadget or weapon as if it were a second nature. This has often led others to believe he's simply a master multitasker.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]3 - Energy Distribution - Energy gathered from his natural electric field can be used to jumpstart, overload, or charge most technology.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]PASSIVE EFFECTS: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]1 - Immediate Comprehension - Sterren's unique ability allows him to understand the inner workings of most devices almost instantly, either with a touch or a look inside.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]2 - Electrical Charge - A field of electricity that constantly builds over time. This can cause static if left to build for too long.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]DRAWBACKS: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]1 - Unfamiliar tech, such as what he's never seen or heard of before, is astonishingly difficult to manipulate. This includes the most alien of technologies. Due to this, Sterren keeps to manipulating his own tech, and only branches out when necessary.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]2 - New devices require a long period of planning, and his first time building the gadget, while done in significantly less time than average, still takes more time than it does for him to build something he's experienced with.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]3 - Sterren doesn't have full control over the amount distributed, and can occasionally overcharge or fritz tech if he's not focusing.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]4 - His electrical field requires weekly "shedding" in the form of either distribution, EMP, or other methods. Too much charge can cause static or mess with electrical devices.[/BCOLOR]

He's adorable. Especially when you take into account that the static charge from his electrical field if it overloads will make his hair poof up and oh goodness I look forward to all of the fun things we'll see from this grumpy thing.

On a more serious note - you're still missing some vital parts of the character sheet; it doesn't look like you read all of the rules, despite having a very good CS I cannot accept you until you've read the rules in detail!

@girlabot - it's going well, but you did what I did all the time when writing races; you called Xago an orc in your physical appearance. Fix that up before you keep going with your CS! It might get lost in the flow of character creation.

------------

All of these characters are lovely, by the way, and I'm grateful for your patience. I'm waiting on @Crow to produce an engineer - I want at least one of all 'specialised' classes before we start the IC. Therefore, once Crow has completed their sheet, I'll immediately post the IC up and link everything together. Excellent work so far guys, it's nice to see so much creativity!

Reactions: Valentyne
Status
Not open for further replies.