Saving The World In Spite of Ourselves

Lilith watched with her mouth hanging open as the two continued to fight despite the yelling of their names. She couldn't believe it. Regardless of who started the fight, Kaden was well aware of Dante's past. Why would he even engage Dante? She winced when she heard Trevean's head hit the stone, and quickly made her way over to see if he was alright.

Nothing seemed to register to the two men until Shola yelled Dante's name. Lilith's Other stopped immediately the bolted down the hallway.

"Dante!" Lilith yelled after him, but she received no response. "Goddamnit."

She agreed with Shola that everyone needed to cool off. She hated that all of this had begun because of her, but there was no going back now.

"If anyone finds Dante, they are explicitly NOT to engage him or even talk to him. Instead, alert me to his whereabouts. That is a direct order. I'm going to look for him myself, but I want it made known that he killed Shaka while defending Lilith Morayo from rape and attempted murder."

Lilith lowered her gaze as Shola' explained the situation to the crowd, and when Kaden turned to look at her she met his gaze only for a moment.

"Sis -- ?!"

Without a word Lilith turned on her heel and ran in the direction that Dante had fled. It wasn't until Kaden caught up with her that she turned to glare at him with tear filled eyes.

"Kaden, what in Goddesses name were you thinking?! You might not have known the entire story, but did you even consider what you DO know about Dante? You've been inside his headspace for Goddess sakes! How could you think that engaging him like that could possibly have been a good idea?!"
Lilith clenched her fists in anger, her knuckles turning white.
"And what were you even asking him for? Didn't you think asking me, TALKING to ME would have been the more wise thing to do? Dante committed no crime. He is innocent. He has finally ended a horrible feeling that has followed me since I left home. How dare you treat him that way."

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
It took Kaden a moment to decide to run after Lilith. He wasn't entirely sure he should. But there had been a sort of betrayed look in her eyes that he felt he had to remedy if he could.
He ran as fast as his storm and Dante inflicted injuries would allow, the bite mark burning and his sternum throbbing with each step. Eventually, he caught up to her.

"Lilith, wait!" he called out reaching out a hand for her, and then she rounded on him.

"Kaden, what in Goddesses name were you thinking?! You might not have known the entire story, but did you even consider what you DO know about Dante? You've been inside his headspace for Goddess sakes! How could you think that engaging him like that could possibly have been a good idea?!"
Lilith clenched her fists in anger, her knuckles turning white.
"And what were you even asking him for? Didn't you think asking me, TALKING to ME would have been the more wise thing to do? Dante committed no crime. He is innocent. He has finally ended a horrible feeling that has followed me since I left home. How dare you treat him that way."

The sensations that ran through him at this berating were not pleasant. Perhaps his method had not been the best, but he had only wanted to know so he could help. he had assumed from the beginning that Shaka had done something, based on their previous encounter he'd thought it was an attempt to provoke Lilith into losing control of her wolf form, not --
He'd never dreamed Dante would react so badly to a single question. Lilith had just more or less explained why without actually stating it.

Kaden felt sick.

Dante's behavior had led him to worry Dante had just snapped, and then he had, at him. Perhaps Kaden had provoked it, but for it to be assumed all the blame was entirely his, that he had gone in looking for a fight with the man he knew his sister loved . . .

Kaden fought back every impulse he had to argue. It didn't matter if the blame was justly or unjustly placed on his shoulders. Odds were if he didn't deserve it this time he'd probably do something stupid in the future anyway. And it had become painfully clear how dependent Lilith was on Dante, at least at the moment. The man had saved her. Of course she'd jump down the throat of anyone who found fault with him at the moment. Kaden had been a fool to think anything else.

"I didn't come to you," Kaden started through gritted teeth," because I didn't know the nature of what had happened. All anyone could say for sure was that Dante had killed a man. I made the assumption that he had done it to protect you somehow, and that absolute last thing I wanted was to somehow make it worse by making you think about it. I didn't want to overwhelm you."

Kaden paused and took a deep breath, and reached to rub at the still clearly viable bite mark, the skin where his neck met his shoulder a rosy pink.

"As for Dante, I may have seen his head-space, but that doesn't mean I know what any of it meant. We're hardly best buddies. We barely talk. I don't know shit about the man, but I figured he wouldn't have a problem telling me why. Shit, I expected a string of profanities and a list of why the man deserved to die not . . ."

Kaden broke off with a wince and turned away. "Apparently I was wrong on both counts." he mumbled, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the misjudgment, I'm sorry I've disappointed you, and I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you myself."

There was a distinctly sorrowful slump to his shoulders as the young man started to walk away.

• Love
Reactions: Kura and Midian
"I didn't come to you," Kaden started through gritted teeth," because I didn't know the nature of what had happened. All anyone could say for sure was that Dante had killed a man. I made the assumption that he had done it to protect you somehow, and that absolute last thing I wanted was to somehow make it worse by making you think about it. I didn't want to overwhelm you."

Lilith watched as Kaden took a deep breath, choosing to allow him to say his piece. She stared at the bite mark as he rubbed it.

"As for Dante, I may have seen his head-space, but that doesn't mean I know what any of it meant. We're hardly best buddies. We barely talk. I don't know shit about the man, but I figured he wouldn't have a problem telling me why. Shit, I expected a string of profanities and a list of why the man deserved to die not . . ."
"Apparently I was wrong on both counts." he mumbled, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the misjudgment, I'm sorry I've disappointed you, and I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you myself."

Lilith's head drooped as Kaden turned to walk away.

"Kaden, wait." Lilith responded before he could get very far, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have assumed all of that, but today has been a little crazy to say the least. Watching the two of you fight was the last straw for me. Come on."

She motioned for him to follow, and soon they arrived a her room. She instructed him to sit on the bed while she soaked a small towel in warm water, folded it, and pressed it gently on the bite mark.

"Here. Keep that there for a minute." She turned, looking down at Pin-ko who had made his way out of Dante's bag and was currently staring right back up at her with a slight head tilt.
"Could we have a few minutes, please?" She said to the doll, who in turn very reluctantly and with quite the attitude threw up the flap of the bag and marched back inside. Lilith rolled her eyes and turned back to her brother, sitting next to him on the edge of the bed.

"So, I'll explain. You deserve at least to know the truth. Yes, Shola is right. Shaka did try to.. you know. It's been something that has gone on for years, and before I escaped Daal there was nothing I could do about it. It was terrifying. Something like that has an effect on you, and it did for me for years. Until Dante saved me. I was at the tavern helping Boca and Bi prepare for the refugees and was on my way back to the palace, and before I could get to my room Shaka cornered me. The next thing I knew Dante was there. He came out of nowhere. Shaka saw him coming too, and threatened to kill me if Dante tried anything."

She traced her fingers over the cut on her neck as she continued.

"Dante threw his knife and it hit Shaka, who immediately let me go. Then it happened. He killed him. And in that instant, years of fear and jumpiness ended. It's over. He's gone."

Kaden felt, if possible, even sicker. The very notion that someone could do he things he was hearing Shaka had done . . .

"Shit - filthy bastard deserved his fate," he mumbled a little aggressively, "Wish I could have --"

There was a moment of silence as he processed it all.

"Sis, can I ask something? Shaka - did he really get that far -- before . . ."

He hated himself the moment the words were out of his mouth. That wasn't something a person just asked, and it didn't make a difference in the end anyway.

Lilith sighed, reaching over to grab her brother's hand, trying to find the right words to tell him the truth. There was really no way to sugar coat the answer to his question. Unable to actually say the word, Lilith merely nodded in response.

"There was nothing you could have done, Kaden. You weren't even in the same world. There are going to be times like that. You have no reason to be sorry, and I'm not disappointed in you. You're my brother, I love you. I think there are things about Dante that we're probably never going to understand, and I'm okay with that. What I DO know, is that I want you two to get along. I'm not sure where everything goes from here. I guess we'll find out once Shola finds him."

Lilith stood, cracking her neck and turning to offer a helping hand up to Kaden.

"You need to get to the Healers before that bite starts to get infected." She said, leading him out of the room and walking alongside him as they made their way down the hall. At first, Lilith was silent. Her arms remained crossed against her chest, and if Kaden were to notice her face he would see she was obviously troubled.

"I'm worried about him, Kaden." She finally said quietly. "I'm not sure what's going on, but I think he's getting sick. He would never tell me. And I don't know what to do."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Midian and Falcon
[Collab with Falcon]

As soon as she was clear of everyone Shola leaned against the wall and covered her face, trying to undo the vicegrip of stress that was squeezing her in two. This was just what she needed, on top of trying to manage everything else. One disaster after the other. Goddesses, but Dante was going to be in serious trouble when she caught him. He couldn't hide forever, and after hitting her Other, whether on accident or not, he wasn't going to hide forever. She let her hands fall to her sides balled into fists.

That left Trevean alone in the infirmary, and she knew she needed to go see him.The little box in her pocket was burning a hole in it, and she hoped the small gift would soothe what she knew were probably very hurt feelings at the moment. Maybe the hospital visit would do that too, although something about Boreas's words had been gnawing at her since she'd left. She knew it had been a ploy, but hadn't it been one to catch Glau, not for a transfer? She wondered, a bit uneasily, if he'd used her for other purposes too. Not that they'd known each other so well then, but…

She shook the thoughts away and waved at a healer before entering Trevean's private nook of a room. The infirmary was crowded, but they'd placed him in a fairly isolated part to let him get some rest. Shola cleared her throat to wake him up, smiling at him.
"Hello Altera," she said, moving to sit by him. However, just as she was about to sit, a soldier rounded the corner and she abruptly stood, turning her back to Trevean.
"Captain, the queen is requesting your presence at this afternoon's diplomatic talks."
"Noted," Shola responded, taking a step away from Trevean.
"Ah, Captain… I didn't think I'd find you here," the man continued. "Are you here visiting someone?"

Although he seemed to be trying to be friendly, Shola's voice was cool.
"I'm here checking on one of my purifiers. Do you need anything else?"
"No ma'am," he replied, leaving. Shola turned back to Trevean and sighed.
"Never a moment's peace. How are you?"

Even in the hospital bed Trevean slept fitfully. The sounds of Shola clearing her throat was a welcome prob from a series of half formed erie dreams that threatened to envelop him. Trevean may not be able to resist sleep altogether, but he would be damned if he fell into those.

He struggled to open his eyes and smiled up at her with relief once he had successfully done so and managed to sit up a little. It seemed she had felt him ask for her after all. And then the soldier came and the moment was gone.

Standing up, Trevean figured, was probably some sort of protocol and so that he brushed aside. Her words were not so easy to ignore.

When she turned back to him the look on his face was something akin to a man who had just been slapped.
"If I've upset you, it was not my intention," The nack mumbled trying to suppress the hurt he felt before it could leak through the bond, and only partly succeeding..

Shola tilted her head and frowned.
"Upset me? No, you haven't at all. Why do you think that?"

Part of her knew the answer, but part of her hoped she could make it all better now to buy herself some more time.

Trevean looked her straight in the eyes and answered, "because apparently I'm only one of the purifiers." There was a hit of bitterness to the words. "I had hoped to have at least made friend by now all things considered."

Shola opened her mouth to lie, to say that that was just what you said to soldiers, but then closed it again. It wasn't right to lie to him, and he'd likely call her on it anyway.
"I… You do mean so much more to me than that. I didn't mean to make you feel that way," she said lamely, unsure of what else to say that was still the truth.

Trevean sighed and picked at the blanket a little. "Why did you say that?" He asked finally. "You don't have to put a label in at all if you're unsure, just use my name." It almost hurt just as much that he felt he had to ask, but if he wasn't the cause, he felt he needed to know why. What was going on?

"I know, I just-- I didn't know what to say. It doesn't mean I feel differently about you, it's just that… As the Captain, I'm not supposed to let my personal life bleed into duty. I fumbled that one, I'm sorry, Trevean."

She bit her lip and slid one hand into her pocket, running her fingers over the box, Boreas's words echoing faintly..
"I don't know what to call us, anyway, you're right. Until I know that, it's hard to know what to say to them, or to say anything at all," she finished, a bit of snippishness slipping into her tone.

Trevean struggled to ignore her tone. He wanted to solve this, not make it worse, but with the way he was feeling, mentally, emotionally, and physically, it wasn't the easiest thing to manage.

"You fumbled which part exactly?" Trevean asked suddenly needed the clarity. He struggled to sit up a bit more, his head still throbbing. "You had me thinking I had done something wrong or misspoke, that you were angry with me. I was trying to figure out what I had done that was so bad you'd just shut me out."

He shifted around to stuff the pillow behind his back so he could lean against it. "The two of us are bound together, Shola." He continued gently, "People know that. You can't just pretend that it's not the case! Regardless of what we are as a couple or not you can always use my name or call me your other. Both of those would be fitting would they not?"

Shola pinched the bridge of her nose, her blood rushing in her ears.
"Trevean, there are parts of my life that you cannot-- should not be part of. What do you want with a soldier's life? They're my subordinates, not my friends; what they know of you, of us, is irrelevant. I am their Captain, and that is all they need to know of my life. You are part of a different part of my life. A safer, better part of my life. I'm sorry I have not been around, but I cannot begin to explain the weight that rests on me know that we are at a real crisis."

"So I'm supposed to stand in the shadows and not even try to help you carry that?" Trevean snapped, and then winced at the volume of his own voice. He frowned at himself and tried to rephrase, tried to remind himself to be understanding and work through, not accuse.

"I'm not going to take your life from you, Chickadee. If you need space I'll try to be aware and sensitive to it. If you want a girls' day, or a knights' night at the bar or something and I don't catch on, just let me know and I'll make myself scarce. We each need parts of our life that are our own, be they jobs, or hobbies, or friends. It's natural and healthy, makes the time together that much more, and allows us to focus on the things we need to get done." He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.

And then he forced himself to admit the heart of why it hurt so much.

"I can give you space, I may on occasion be too stupid to know you need it, but I can give it to you. What I cannot do is lie to everyone around me and pretend that what we have, whatever it is, does not exist. It's too much like before. I – I can't handle that type of thing. I'm not sure it's something anyone should try to do."

His eyes watched her carefully as he continued. "If there are places I need to stay away from while you're working I can do that, but I want to be able to eat lunch together sometimes, or give you a hug at the end of the day without worrying over who's around. I need a certain amount of transparency, or I'm afraid I'll start backsliding. If I can't be trusted to do as little as admit we have something, whatever name feels right to give to it, then how can I be trusted in anything else?"

"Trevean-- When things are better, when the war is over, then we can worry about that. But right now, you are a civilian and it isn't seemly for the Captain to be carrying on with someone while the kingdom is rumbling. When things are peaceful again, then-- then maybe you can enter into that part of my life, but for now, I have so much that I must do-- I do care about you, Altera, I do. But the Captain cannot be seen mooning over someone-- anyone. I will lose every bit of control I have over my men. I need a strong public appearance and a separate, very private personal life."

Trevean just looked at her for a moment. Was she even listening? Were his feeling irrelevant to her? Did she not understand how important this was for him?
"Shola . . . honestly, I quite simply don't see a reason for pretending to be anything other than what we are. There is a line, I get that. There are things that your position and authority will never allow the two of us to get away with outside closed doors, I understand. But between that line and shoving me in a closet, are a wide array of things that are perfectly acceptable." He took a deep breath. Explain, don't berate, he reminded himself. This is not a fight, it's a misunderstanding.

"For example - Commander Garrett is married, you don't see him walking around starry eyes, but you will see him give his wife an occasional peck on the check. Lieutenant Wilkins is planning her wedding, it doesn't affect her job in the least, but the smile you'll see her give her betrothed leaves no doubt in anyone's mind how much she cares."

For a moment Trevean mentally praised the hours of work that had let him get to know those two. He didn't have a lot of experience in any healthy relationship, never mind one where half the couple was under military command, but he had thought those two couples made a good example of what might be acceptable. Besides, both the officers he had just mentioned were known for their loyalty, honor, unwavering upholding of the rules, and stern demeanors. No one thought any less of them for wanting a family life outside that.

"Neither of them get moony or starry eyed, Shola, but they don't try to hide the fact that they do have an outside personal life. Light woman, surely you can spare me a smile at least, a hand squeeze, maybe a hug once in awhile without hiding first. It's hardly like I'm suggesting necking in the middle of the dining hall!"

Alright, so maybe he'd just gone too far.

Shola opened her mouth again, her face and ears tinged pink with anger. This was a fight. They were having a fight, on top of everything else, and she couldn't handle one more stressor. Dimly stories from her childhood flitted through her subconscious, bare glimmerings of superstition intertwined with the maelstrom currently raging between her ears.

"Trevean, I do not have time to fight about things like this! Garret and Wilkins are not the captain of the guard! I cannot maintain my authority if I am seen as being soft in any way! We can hash things out later, but I have more pressing matters to attend to at the moment, like thousands of refugees!"

"I'm not a toy, Shola!" he snapped suddenly, struggling to move out from under to covers. Every motion sent a jolt through his head. According to the healers he had hit pretty hard. It would pass. He was a nack. Most injuries healed fairly quickly for him.

"I'm not some object you can take down off a shelf only when you want it for something. I won't be used like that! I can't – I can't let myself go there. Not . . ." he clamped his mouth shut and turned storming from the room, if a man obviously trying to ignore pain can storm. For Shola the bond seemed to finish the sentence, to say what he could not. Not again. Before he abruptly closed it off.

For a long time Shola stood alone in the room, looking down where Trevean had gone. She hadn't tended that connection enough to lean on it as hard as she had, and now it had crumbled. She'd really cocked that one up. Slowly, tiredly, she sat on the bed and lay her arms on her knees, and her head on her arms. Everything faded away to a dull roar and she shivered, clenching her hands. She'd hurt the one person she wanted to keep safe the most with callousness.

Shola stood quickly and ran out of the infirmary and down the hall, but could not find him. Hurriedly she asked nearby guards, servants, anyone she could find, but none of them could point her in the right direction. She only stopped when she saw Dante slinking away from the kitchen, barking his name. If she couldn't find Trevean right now, she could at least get something off her plate and give him time to cool off a little before she apologized. When she shouted his name Dante froze, eyes unnaturally wide as she motioned him into the kitchen.
"You and I have a lot to talk about," she said icily and he followed, head bowed.

• Love
Reactions: Kura and Falcon
Kaden felt the rage boiling within him, and he suddenly knew for a fact that he would have responded in the same way Dante had, if not worse.
Shit, how many more of Shaka's victims were there out there?
Was there anything to be done?

"I'm sorry, sis, I wish I could help somehow," and he wasn't entirely sure which situation he was speaking to, but he knew it was applicable to both. He let her drag him to the healers, even though he'd much rather just take care of it himself, as well as the rest of it. There was no doubt in his mind the court physicians would find the other marks and bruises in an instant. He'd like to avoid that if possible, but every time he looked as his sister all Kaden could feel was a mix of despair and rage.

Despair at the thought of what she must have gone through, and rage at Shaka for what he'd done, and both his parents for placing her in that position. A little at himself too, for not seeing it sooner and protecting her, and for being the reason Lilith had been given to Shaka in the first place. That's what she had said right? She'd been given up in hopes of being replaced with a son?

"I'm sorry," he mumbled again as the healers took him, but before he could say more they had indeed forced him out of his shirt revealing that his once clear back was now a mass of welts, bruises, and small cuts.

In a desperate act to distract her he grumbled, "maybe you should just outright confront him about it?"

Trevean made full use of the time he had before Shola found him.
He had a small bag put together, tossed over one shoulder, and violin in hand he made his way to Nadia's room where he rapped on the door. The moment the girl answered he thrust the instrument's case into her hands.

"I need you to watch that for me for a few days," he stated, his blunt manner giving evidence to the fact that things were not okay and he wasn't even in a place where he could conceal that with fake smiles. "I don't think anyone's going anywhere just now anyway."

And as abruptly as he had spoken Trevean turned to stride back down the hall.

• Love
"Maybe you should just outright confront him about it?"

"I'm not sure he would tell me the truth." Lilith replied, unable to look away from the bruises and scratches that accompanied the bite on Kaden's neck. She felt guilty, of course, that this entire fiasco had caused both her brother and Dante to get hurt. A very small part of her wished that she had just stayed with Boca and Bi for the night so that none of it would have happened, but she had been concerned about Dante feeling sick. She also knew that if it hadn't happened, that it would probably have happened in the future.

"I'm sorry, Kaden," she said finally after a brief silence, "I'm sorry you ended up getting hurt."

She fidgeted with the end of her braid. Pin-ko, who had been able to sneak out of the bag at the last moment, had caught a ride on Lilith's skirt and was currently sitting on her lap.

"I wonder where everyone is. I wonder if Shola has found Dante yet."

• Love
Nadia almost fumbled the violin before clutching it tightly in her arms.
"Trevean?! Where are you going?! Hey!" she shouted after him, but he was already out of sight before she could sit the violin down stably enough to go look for him. As she hunted through the castle, she eventually ran into Shola, who looked remorseful and weary. Dante was slithering out of the kitchen, head hung low and mouth tight. He didn't look at Nadia, nor Shola, but instead disappeared around the corner.
"Nadia, did you need something?" she managed, and Nadia shook her head.
"I think something's wrong with Trevean, he gave me his violin and took off with a bag over his-- Shola?"

Shola darted past Nadia before she could finish and Nadia watched her go, brow furrowed, before wandering off to see if Kaden had made it to the infirmary. Once there she saw Kaden and Lilith and waved at them, walking over.
"You finally got your back seen about-- Hey, what happened to your neck?" Nadia asked, pointing at the bite mark.
"Did you get in a fight..."

She turned to Lilith and looked at the cut on her neck.
"What did I miss?! Is everyone okay?"

Shola wondered if more damage had been done than she'd thought. Surely the violin didn't mean he'd left for good, but the bag worried her. She didn't want him to decide to leave for good, or worse, leave the city walls and go out into the dangerous field. It would take more than a simple apology, she thought, but first she had to find him. Was there somewhere he'd go? She didn't even know who to ask, except--

About half an hour later Shola, clad in a long, spring green dress, found Maevric. She'd removed her scarf and her hair tumbled down her shoulders, and as she approached him she uncertainly fluffed the skirt a little.
"Auster-- Maevric, I need your help. Trevean and I fought, and he's left with a bag, but without his violin. Is there somewhere I can find him, somewhere he would go? I need to go find him."

"No, not from Dante, from the storm on Nadia's home island--" Kaden started to explain to Lilith just as Nadia walked in.

But when Nadia asked about the bite mark and Lilith's cut he looked at his sister, uncertain plain on his face.

"Sis, do you want me to explain? or would you rather --"
He doubted either of them wanted Nadia to know the whole story, certainly not where it touched on Lilith's past, but by this point the whole castle probably knew who had been fighting whom and why.

There was a moment of hesitation before Lilith declared herself hungry and left Kaden the job in question. Kaden didn't blame her one bit. He waited until he was sure she was gon before starting.

"Remember all the commotion and people surrounding Shola when we returned? Well it didn't take me long to figure out what it was about. Short version is Shaka attacked Lilith last night and Dante intervened and killed him for it. I didn't know the part about Lilith being attacked and when I asked Dante what happened we ended up fighting as well."
Kaden shrugged, "It'll all get sorted eventually."

He very carefully did not say who had started the second fight. For some reason he felt it was better to let everyone blame him.

"You should also know that Aquaman got caught in the crossfire trying to break us up and the Boss Lady is, justifiably, pretty pissed at the two of us."

Maevric looked up from where he was currently going over some of the reports he and Trevean had been working on the night before in a cramped little office in the back quadrant of the soldier's barracks. Truth be told it hadn't phased him at all when his brother hadn't shown up to work. He knew the other man hadn't been sleeping again. It wasn't exactly a new thing, and he always could tell. It was something about the tilt of Trevean's head and the sideways glance in his eyes. Though it seemed the man had learned to hide it better since those times when they had been boys.

What did take him by surprise was the way the captain was dressed. After a moment looking her over he managed to close his gaping jaw and process what it was she had actually said.

"If--" he had to clear his throat, "if he's left that damn violin behind you can be certain he'll be back in a few days. I wouldn't worry too much," he grumbled looking back at the papers.

"I do not have a few days," Shola replied quickly. "I need to go find him now. I want to find him now, not in a few days. Isn't there anywhere he might be, a place maybe he goes to brood? I need to talk to him, to apologize."

Maevric's head jerked up at her tone and he paused, daring to look Shola directly in her eyes. "Trev doesn't hide for no reason, Sho- Captain." Maevric winced at his blunder. "Where he hides has always depended on why. I mean is this a he thinks he's about to be punished thing? Or was there something recently that would threaten his sense of safety." And then as if he thought that statement needed clarification, "to be honest he's not really the hide because of a fight type. Trev's always confronted fightable things head on. It's when he can't that he hides."

Maevric paused a moment and grew decidedly pink around the ears. "And for the record he would not be happy to know I'd been paying that much attention. So as a sibling I'd rather you not tell him"

Although Shola had frowned as Maevric almost called her by name, she sighed a little and relaxed her posture.
"I suppose the latter-- I do not think he thinks he is in danger of being punished, although I do not know why he'd think his safety was in danger either. All I know is that he is angry with me, and I need to make things right. We had a fight about our relationship, and it is my fault. I need to make that up to him."

"The safety thing doesn't even need to be related to you," Maevric tried to clarify. "But when we were kids there would be things that would set him off and he would vanish after. Stupid things really. Like one time Ed managed to trap him in the bathroom . . . Had no idea he was so claustrophobic before that - or that blond guy we saw in the market -- looked a lot like that painting --"

Maevric shook his head suddenly as if to clear it. "Psychoanalysis of my brother aside, I need to ask you something first. No disrespect meant, but are you coming to me as his brother, or as one of your soldiers?"

She closed her eyes and bowed her head a little.
"As his brother. I don't know anyone else to go to, Maevric. I'm coming to you as Shola, as just another person who happens to care deeply for your brother, but is terrible at showing it sometimes."

"Alright," Maevric started before standing to fish through the tiny desk in search of some paper. "But you didn't hear this from me. Tell him you can track him or something."

And the soldier grabbed a pen and began to sketch a small map. "You remember how my folk's house sits just past that cliffy hill that rings that tiny little beach? The whole area is our property. Papa Kord bought it before Dad lost everything when that damn loan came due. Anyway . . ." And he trailed the pen down the page drawing a rocky path and some steps.

"This comes out at one end, over here on the opposite side is a small cave. It's pretty well hidden behind a small rock outcropping, kind of a tight squeeze." And he ticked an X at the spot.
"At first it all looks like a small room. But if you listen for the ocean you can find another room at the back. The door's all hidden in the shadows, and Trev may have gotten clever and painted a big board to look like more rock and rigged it to act like a door from the other side. Not the best, but in the dark you can't tell. If you can get back there I think that's where you'll find him."

He finished the sketch, blotted the ink, and then carefully handed it to her.

"I'm fairly sure Trev has no idea I know it's there. But sometimes I used to catch him sneaking out and I'd follow. Just to see if he was going on one of those jobs or not. We fought a lot about those back then . . ."

Shola felt panic well up in her when Maev confirmed that Trevean had left the city. That meant he was in danger, and there was no time to waste. Hurriedly she took the paper and gave Maev a slight bow.

"Thank you! I will make sure Trevean returns safely, and I will not tell him how I found him unless he presses me."

With those last words, Shola hurried off to find her horse and without pausing rode off to the Auster's, her hair streaming behind her.

Trevean, meanwhile had made it out with his pack and a roll of blankets, a lantern, and a hammock he had managed to put together after talking with Nadia. His original plan had been to borrow from his folks, but that ran the risk of getting caught and answering awkward questions. Right now he just needed to be alone.
Finding a nice sheltered nook he transformed into that white bear and took the pack and roll up in his teeth before breaking into a galloping run. The form was fast enough to get him where he wanted to be in good time, and not the type to be easily threatened.

Once there he made short work of lighting the lantern and making his way through the cave to his little saferoom. It had remained untouched by all except time since his last visit. That was a relief, and he instantly felt

The iron hooks were still securely in the wall and from those he suspended the hammock, setting the lantern on a little makeshift rock table, tossing his bag in a corner he knew would stay dry, and then unfurling the blankets into the hammock to make a little nest of wool and furs. The chill of the cave was almost welcome, helping him clear his head, but Trevean knew he could not stay unprotected in it for long.

"Something happens," he muttered to himself as he climbed into the hammock and wrapped the furs as tightly around himself as he could. "Every time I find a place I want to stay, something always happens . . . I just – I just didn't think it would be this." Shivering slightly with the cold as his body worked to warm the blankets he rolled onto his side. He tried to focus his thoughts and figure out what this meant for him going forward. If he couldn't somehow explain his point of view then . . . But the Dire Queen's voice and the words "you'll destroy her," kept playing in his mind." Yes it somehow felt as if she were the one breaking him.

It didn't matter if he slept now or not. Trouble lingered in both worlds now.

Tying her horse up in a sheltered cove unlikely to be found, Shola made her way into the cave and let one hand glow so she could read the map, following it to the wooden door. Carefully she opened and shut it behind her, bracing it with a few loose stones to keep unwanted intruders out. In the short distance she saw the lantern glow and followed it, pausing only to trace her fingers along the drawings she'd left there long ago. So it had been a safe spot for both of them at some point or the other. It made sense, and to think they'd been very near to finding each other for so long-- this had to be fixed. It just had to be.

Finding Trevean in the hammock, she hesitated for a long moment, unsure if she should wake him or not. Finally she squared her shoulders a little and called, gently:
"Trevean? Altera?"

Trevean gave the sharp intake of breath of someone jolted from a deep troubled dream but no other sign. Yet from beneath the edge of the furs Shola could make out the gleam of his electric blue eyes peering warily at her. Yet while he did not welcome her, neither did he send her away.

"Trevean, I've been an ass. And I understand if you don't want anything to do with me anymore. But I want to ask for another chance, even if I wasn't there when you needed me, and even if I did treat you like a toy… I know what that means to you after Sophia, and the last thing I wanted to do was be like her. To diminish your worth in any way. You mean the world to me, and… I thought I could keep you totally apart from my work. But you're part of my life, all parts of it."

She took a deep breath.

"Where do I begin? I thought no one would respect me if I was no longer the iron solitary soldier. If I was seen in-- with someone. But I was being a fool about dealing with it. Trying to hide you won't fix the problem. I'll-- we'll manage, somehow. But I truly do hope it will be 'we' from now on. I was an idiot, Trevean. I'm so sorry I hurt you."

There was a moment of silence as Trevean took in her words, and then a sudden motion as the fur moved enough to reveal an arm reaching for her.
"Come here," he started his voice raw with emotion, "please?"

Shola moved rapidly to the hammock, grasping his hand before bending to look at him between the furs.
"May I join you in the hammock, Mr. Auster?" she asked, squeezing his hand.

No words were said, but the covers moved enough to allow her space and the hand holding hers gently tugged her in. There was a moment of awkward shifting as they tried to both lay comfortable in a way that wouldn't cause the hammock to dump them both and the cold floor. The end result was they lay side by side with Trevean's arms around her in a way that clearly indicated he was afraid to let her go.

"Do you mean it?" He whispered finally into the candle lit dark.
Shola settled in against him, curling her fingers in his shirt and nuzzling her nose against his.
"Absolutely. I stand by every word that I said, and I am so sorry I hurt you. I was afraid you would get hurt coming here-- I was afraid I'd lose you."

She ran the backs of her fingers across his cheek and then curled them around his shoulder.
"Everything you said earlier was right. I need to integrate you more into my life. I need to include you, even if there are times when I need space. I need to communicate more, better… I need to lean on you sometimes, we need to lean on each other. And I haven't let you do that for me. It's hard, but… I'd like to try. To start."

"I wasn't sure what was happening at first," he whispered back, not quite finding it fitting to speak normally. "And I honestly didn't think I was asking for too much. I'm really not asking for a lot, just a little acknowledgment, a wave or smile, or to at least be referred to as your Other . . . I promise that's all . . . and I may have let my mood get the better of me and not been as gentle as I should have been when I did say something--"

"You didn't ask for anything unreasonable," Shola replied quickly.
"I let stress overwhelm me and didn't tell you how bad things were. I was embarrassed to think they might see me differently, but that's their problem. I'm proud of you, and proud that you are mine. I want others to know it too. That's what's fair to you, and I want you to know that I'm not ashamed of you. Anyone would be proud to be yours, and I am."

She paused, biting her lip.
"We are together, are we not? I know, now, that the ruse in Waterworld when I first wore the rings was something to do with signing over territory or contracts, but since then, since we talked in the forest in Piper's homeworld, are we… Together?"

Trev blinked at her in surprise. He hadn't quite expected this.
"I've thought of us as something togetherish since you didn't outright refuse me after I stole that first kiss," he mumbled uncertainly. "If we're not together now I've been an outright fool for not making it clear."

Shola nodded against his chest and closed her eyes.
"That's what I needed to know… It feels good to hear it. I was afraid I might have misunderstood somewhere. I don't want to hide our relationship. I was thinking… I want you to go out with the Red Guard and myself. We haven't gone out in a long time, and I think we all need the break. I'd like to introduce them to you."

"If you're sure you're okay with that," Trevean answered slowly, "And I'd like to set some clear boundaries as far as what's okay and what's not when you're working and how to communicate when we need spare or comfort. Or other things. I know most couples fight, but it seems most of ours stem from communications mishaps and I want us to work out . . . is couple okay with you as a label for this? As in if I were to refer to you as my girlfriend?"

"I'm very okay with that, with you meeting them and with being called a couple. As for when I'm on the job… Perhaps just hugs and quick kisses? I cannot do too much when I'm in uniform, but I do want it to be obvious we're a couple. You are much better at social cues than I am, I'm sure you'll know what to do."

She tilted her head up and kissed his chin.
"I want you to always feel like I value you, and us. What can I do to help with that when I'm at work?"

"A hug or quick kiss would be enough," he assured gently, "or if you're super busy maybe some sort of acknowledgement about talking to me later or over dinner or something. We don't have to figure it all out at the moment, just so long as we agree to figure it out . . ." His voice trailed slightly as he struggled to suppress a yawn. And then failed. "Sorry," Trevean mumbled. "Haven't slept much lately."

"I'm sorry. I wanted to go to you, but there was scarcely a moment I could sleep either, let alone not be putting out a fire of some sort. If it is possible, however, we need to get back into the city as soon as possible, and… I don't know if you intended to see your family, but it would be best if they came to the city with us. The taboo I put on their property won't hold much longer, and when it goes, they'll be in danger."

Shola began to raise her body temperature subtly, hoping to counteract the chill of the cave.
"I think we can swing a good nap, but after that, we may need to gather up and leave."

The warmth Shola gave off only served to make it harder for Trevean to stay awake. "Are you -- portal us -- back?" He managed. If she had asked him he would have to admit to exactly how much he'd been forcing himself to stay aware, but he still felt it was important to hear that answer.

"Of course," Shola replied, running her fingers soothingly over his stubble.
"Go to sleep, get some rest, Altera."

When Trevean woke up again Shola was awake, but still. As they managed to climb out of the hammock Shola helped Trevean keep from falling and packing up the campsite.
"Let's go see your family and help prep them to leave, okay? I think it'll go much better if you talk to them first. They need to know that we need to hurry."

As they walked up to the house, Shola held his hand tightly, walking next to him with some of the gear slung over her other shoulder.

It was early evening when he woke, and Trev had to admit the sleep had done him some good, even if it wasn;t enough. Shola's presence certainly had helped.

Once more they approached the house and trevean felt apprehension, and once more it was Ya-ya's sharp eyes that led to her being the first to greet them.
"What news what news?" She hollered as she practically flew down the steps to great them both with a hug and a kiss each. "Why you arrive so late? You miss meal. You both need meal, but now is over and dishes all put away. Come in, and say what news is!"

Trev waited only until everyone was gathered before explaining. Nothing had seemed so hard as telling his parents and Ed they needed to leave the house, except perhaps telling Ya-ya the same. When he finished he looked to Shola for support.

"I am sorry, but Trevean is correct. You all must leave now, or you will lose your lives. I'm sorry. I know what this means to all of you, this house. I can try to seal the house up, but you might do well to take whatever is most valuable to you. Once in the city, I'll-- we'll find you all a place to stay and work. You will not want for anything. But I must insist you come with us. The field, the ocean, they're no longer safe."

Once they had gathered their belongings, Shola opened a small portal and escorted them through it, bracing Ya-ya once they came out.
"For now, will you all stay in the palace? I have some rooms you could stay in until we could find a home in the city for you."

Trevean sadly watched the chaos as his family packed and left, though he was surprised at the little they all took.
"I have my family, that is enough," mathias told him as he braced his mother so Shola could have her arm free again, the little old woman shooting alarmed looks at the closing portal over her shoulder.

"We would be happy to stay with you," Kaliah assured Shola as they walked. "If you're certain we won't be a bother."

Trevean said little but wavered between walking with Shola or them, eventually pulling her to walk with the group so they could all walk together. "I'm sure it'll be fine . . ."

• Love
"Trevean's family will never be a bother," Shola replied to Kailah, speaking briefly to one of the palace guards to assure him that the family was with her. In short order they were lead to a small, distant collection of rooms.
"I'm sorry they are not better prepared," Shola said sheepishly. "It was a last minute decision. Please, make yourselves at home, and do not hesitate to ask the servants for anything. If they ask, give them my name."

She hesitated before embracing Ya-ya and Kailah.
"I must go, but I will come check on everyone later. I will tell Maev that you all are here as well, and give him time to come see you. Trevean, you might want to look for Ed and let him know too?"

She put her hands on his cheeks, kissing him briefly.
"I'll come look for you later tonight so we can go with the guard, alright? Get some more rest, Altera."

Shola left for the conference hall, finding Trevean once the sun had set. She'd added a dark brown shawl to her green dress and pulled her hair back into a loose ponytail.
"I hope you are ready?" she asked, offering him her arm. She led him to the Wolfshead tavern and waved at a group of people near the far end of the bar as they entered.
"'Ey!" one woman shouted at them, raising her pint. "It's the Captain!"

The others saluted her with their glasses and Shola laughed, ushering Trevean forward a little.
"This is my Other, and my-- boyfriend, Trevean Auster," she said, rolling 'boyfriend' around as a foreign word even as she squeezed his arm a little.

Two of the guards exchanged a small bag of coins, bumping fists. Shola rolled her eyes and sat down with them, making a place for Trevean on the bench.
"Ye bagged a pretty one," one of the older men said. chuckling. "anyway lad, what do ye fancy to drink? First one's on us. Next ones are on yer girlfriend."

It was nearly midnight when Dante crept into Lilith's room and sat on the floor at the foot of the bed, laying his forehead on his knees and letting his arms lay limply at his side. Slowly his legs slid out from under him and he leaned against the bed, letting his head thunk back against it. The conversation with Shola had not gone well, at all, and Dante realized he had not felt this low in a very, very long time.
"Lil," he mumbled. "Lil?"

"Yikes," Nadia replied, moving to look at his back as she petted the little orange fuzzball sticking out of her apron pocket.
"What happened to your back?" she asked, peering at it. "It looks awful."

• Love
Lilith politely excused herself from explaining anything more to Nadia about what had happened. Luckily Kaden was able to pick up on her silent plea to explain in her place, and she sniffed the air.

"I think I smell dinner, and I am starved. I'm going to find something to put in my belly after such hard work at the tavern. I'll see you later!" She said quickly, smiling, "Cute kitten, Nads." she mumbled in passing as she headed out the door.

She wasn't being entirely dishonest. Lilith was beginning to get hungry, and she did happen to smell food somewhere in the distance. It may or may not have been coming from the city and not the palace itself, though, and goddess knows she wasn't going back out there for a while. Pin-ko sat on her shoulder as she walked and seemed to be sniffing the air as well, only stopping to tap Lilith on the cheek and point into one of the doorways to the kitchen as they passed.

"Good idea, buddy." The werewolf mumbled, peeking in the door and noticing no one around. It was clear that whoever was still cooking had been baking, as the smell of yeast and bread wafted through the area. It was then that Lilith noticed the faintest hint of..

"Dante." She murmured, peeking around into the corners of the room before scanning the ceiling. "He was here not long ago, Pin." The doll pretended to sniff the air again and nodded wildly back as if he had picked up on the assassin's trail, while in reality he had no idea. Once she was sure the room was clear, she searched for something to eat that would settle her stomach. Her search turned up a couple of apples and a small loaf of slightly stale bread, which turned out to be perfectly fine and filling as a meal. She ate on the way back to her room, and wasted no time before crawling into bed.

"Well, Pin, I'm sure Dante will turn up. I know Shola wanted to talk to him." Lilith said, letting her hair down from its braid and allowing the crimped locks to flow over her shoulders. "Maybe they're just still talking." The doll nodded and patted her cheek, waiting for the Daalai girl to lie down before curling up in the mess of white hair. If the doll had been able to breathe, he would have sighed contentedly as Lilith turned out the light and drifted off to sleep.

Around midnight, Lilith slept as Dante crept into her room and even managed to stay asleep through his thunk against the bed. It wasn't until he spoke and his smell reached her nostrils that the girl stirred.

"Lil, Lil?"

Lilith's eyes snapped open.

"Dante?!" She whispered loudly, bolting up in bed. Immediately she noticed that he was nowhere to be found in her field of vision, but she followed her nose to the end of the bed where she peered down into a black mop of hair. With a relieved sigh, Lilith crawled out of her bed and around in front of the assassin, sitting on her knees with her arms stretched out halfheartedly.

"I'm so relieved to see you.." She said, offering up her arms, "Can I...?"

• Love
Trevean took a detour on the way back to his regular rooms. Shola was right, Ed needed to know their family was now camped in the palace and where. Maevric did too for that matter. Thinking it would be easy enough to hit two birds with one stone Trevean went in search of the one brother he was fairly sure he could locate, only to find Ed already there himself on a similar mission.
His younger brother was actually in the process of leaving a message with Maev to be passed on to Trevean, and at the sight of him Maev sighed, sat down, and grumped "There, now you can tell him yourself!"

Ed frowned as he moved to a place where he could more or less look at both of them, "Well I am partly telling you as well," the younger man answered. "I've got a friend in a spot of trouble so I might be scarce for a few days while I help them out. You might not see me at all for a while, that's all."

"Nothing that leaves the city I hope," Trevean answered curtly, "Shola just had me move everyone to the palace because it's no longer safe outside the city walls." He wished he knew why Maev was studying him so closely.

"Don't worry," Ed assured him with a mischievous smirk, "I know how to be more careful than you ever were. And Maev's been teaching me forms so--"

"His shifting's better than yours ever was as well--" the middle brother jumped in unable to resist the old jab.

Trevean groaned, told them where the family rooms were, and left before he could start feeling irritated.

The nack did eventually find his bed and slept the rest of the day away, let the others do the paperwork, he'd already finished his share in the wee hours of the morning after Dante had vanished. Trevean's dreams were still troubled, but the still recent memory of Shola's hold and gentle kiss kept him from slipping too far into them. The two of them would work things out, and for now that was enough.

He woke with enough time to bath, trim his beard properly, and dress for a casual evening with Shola's friends, or maybe it was her team, he wasn't quite sure. Still, he was glad she had people to talk to, people who could understand the world and job she was a part of.

The others saluted her with their glasses and Shola laughed, ushering Trevean forward a little.
"This is my Other, and my-- boyfriend, Trevean Auster," she said, rolling 'boyfriend' around as a foreign word even as she squeezed his arm a little.

Trevean felt a small thrill roll through him at those words. He would have been happier with less, but in that moment Shola would feel the bond bloom golden even as he graced the room with a beaming smile and appropriate introductions depending on what was offered. A hand shake here, a shoulder pat there, and a "thank you, glad to come," to another's welcome.

His sharp eyes noted the exchange of coin, though he sat willingly in the space Shola made for him, briefly squeezing her knee under the table before answering questions, and trying not to preen too much at the jokingly given complement.

"Ye bagged a pretty one," one of the older men said. chuckling. "anyway lad, what do ye fancy to drink? First one's on us. Next ones are on yer girlfriend."

"Fortunately for her I'm a cheap date when it comes to drinks," Trevean joked at his own expense. "I find I'm at a point where it would be better for me to abstain from alcohol." He had chosen to be honest about it yet Shola could detect a slight discomfort through the bond, "Though I would be happy to try anything else you might suggest."

"Yikes," Nadia replied, moving to look at his back as she petted the little orange fuzzball sticking out of her apron pocket.
"What happened to your back?" she asked, peering at it. "It looks awful."

"That," Kaden answered shifting uncomfortably, "Is the result of that storm that never flooded that tree."

He wasn't angry just a bit uncomfortable and bruised. Kaden tried to demonstrate the fact by turning and reaching to touch a finger to the little orange kitten's nose.

"Better me than this little guy," he stated also hoping it would provide a good subject switch.

The healers had left a jar of cream by his stool and then left on some other emergency though Kaden hadn't quite heard what, so he didn't even have the excuse of being poked and prodded to shield him from how uncomfortable it felt to let Nadia walk around his injured form. There was something slightly embarrassing about being seen in this state by the person he had being trying to protect at the time.

"He seems to have settled into your pocket just fine by the looks of it. Will the fuzzball be okay?"

It occurred to him then that he had yet to reclaim Kalya from Lilith's care. Come to think of it what had she done with the dog? With everything that had happened pet-sitting was the last thing his sister should have to worry about. Kaden only wished Kalya had been present when she'd been attacked. Maybe the battle hound could have saved her some of the trouble somehow.

Was that excuse enough to duck out of the medical ward? would Nadia let him?

"What do you say we go find my dog and have a pet play-day?" he ask almost too hopefully.

• Love
"Can I...?"

Dante looked at her, his expression distant and confused, written over with fatigue. For a minute it was as though she'd spoken to him in a foreign language, but then he reached out for her too and buried his face in her shoulder. His nerves, pulled tight and sawed raw, vibrated with an interminable, damning hum that whispered of his failures.

"What the hell did you think you were doing, Dante?! This is not Cyberia, you cannot slaughter someone like a beast and expect nothing to happen! I believe fully what he did-- was doing, but was it necessary to make such a bloody mess over it? You could not be content to simply kill him, which would have caused me less trouble; no, you had to behave like an animal! Not only that, you got into a fight over it, nevermind who started it, and hurt my Other! Is this truly how you treat friends, Dante? You will not continue to be a thorn in my side, one way or the other. Make yourself scarce for as long as you can. If I see your face again tonight, I will confine you."

Shola's voice still stung like a whip applied directly to his sternum. He hadn't responded to her and had only been able to hang his head as she spoke, eventually storming out of the kitchen when he would only slump farther into his seat. After that he'd slunk around the castle and eventually ended up at Lilith's room, drawn by an inexplicable force. Dante buried his face in her neck and let go of a deep breath, letting some of his muscles go slack.
"I'm sick," he muttered. "Don't let them put me down, please."

For the first time in a very long time, Dante regretted killing someone.

"Sounds like a plan to me," Nadia replied, glad Kaden wasn't upset with her about the injuries. She felt bad that he'd incurred them for her sake. When he suggested a playdate for the new little ones, she'd scooped up the orange fuzzball and deposited him in her apron pocket, where he was content to purr and knead.
"Don't you want some of this stuff on your back, first?" she asked, waving the jar at him.
"It looks like it'll help-- and smells like it too," she finished after uncorking the jar.

The older man chortled and Shola shot him a glare before ordering a glass of Cutter for herself and water for Trevean. While they were waiting, the older man leaned forward to talk to Shola around Trevean.
"Pertant, eseul tibit? Perquant adtempt anavers esperento al seu voltant?" he asked, and Shola glanced briefly at Trevean before responding.
"Il non loquila Irecoan. And I don't want to exclude him. I was too long in bringing him around, you're right. He has, however, been wonderfully patient with a stubborn soldier."

She clinked her glass of the near-black liquid against Trevean's glass and then the man's before drinking some without flinching.
"Now that glasses have met, Trevean, this is Seahn Baruto, my old mentor from my early days in the military, and captain of the Red Guard."
"Well met," Seahn said to Trevean, nodding sharply. "How d'ye find our captain?"
"Probably by sight, like everyone else," a woman called from down the line, eliciting a roar of laughter from some of the others sitting around. Even Shola shook her head, hiding a smile.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Kura
As she felt Dante go limp in her arms, Lilith tightened her grip around him.

"I'm sick," he muttered. "Don't let them put me down, please."

"No one is putting you down. No one is going to touch you." Lilith replied, burying her face in his mess of black hair in order to kiss the top of his head. She ran a hand along Dante's shoulder then down his back, suddenly realizing just how prominent his spine was beginning to become. The assassin was right, he was sick, and probably in more ways than one. Whatever it was he was hiding, Lilith decided she was getting to the bottom of it. How else was she going to be able to get him the help he needed?

"Come on," she said suddenly, "We're going to clean you up."

Ignoring what very little protest Dante may have put up, Lilith wrapped his arm around her shoulder and lifted, mostly carrying him to the bathroom. She sat him on the side of the tub, making sure not to turn away to fill the tub until he she was sure he could hold himself up. Sitting on the rim of the tub as well, Lilith let the water run over her fingers until it was the proper temperature, then plugged the drain for it to fill.

"Here, take off your shirt. I can help." Again without giving the assassin the option to deny her, Lilith pulled his black turtleneck up over his head and tossed it into the corner. Unable to contain it, a tiny gasp left the werewolf's lips as she laid eyes on her Other's back. Now, in the light of the bathroom, it was clear to see the new slightly yellow tinge in Dante's skin. She was also able to finally visualize his spine the way she had felt it a few minutes before. It was a sight that brought tears to her eyes. Silently and without meeting his gaze, Lilith moved past Dante to turn off the water. Offering her hand, she pulled him to his feet and quickly helped him with the button of his pants.

"Okay, step out," she said, immediately feeling the weighted down pants as she scooped them away from him, "What is IN these pockets? Do you just walk around putting things in them all day?"

With only the occasional subtle glance, Lilith helped Dante into the tub. Using a small cup she wet his hair, working in the soap until she was sure it was clean.

"I.. haven't had a chance to say it." She began slowly, "Thank you. Thank you for saving me."

Lilith had been able to barely feel Dante's regret through the bond. Her thanks had been a feeble attempt at making him feel better after imagining what Shola may have said to him when she found him. The Daalai woman rinsed Dante's hair, then began to spot clean his body with a cloth. She gulped as she avoided his artificial joints, which were very red and looked inflamed.

"No one is going to do anything to you, but we need to find you help. What do I need to do?"

Once finished, Lilith helped Dante out of the tub, wrapping a towel around his waist and leading him back to the bed. Pin-ko, meanwhile, had decided to take the opportunity to unload Dante's pants pockets into the bag.

• Love
((collab with Mids))
~Some hours earlier~

"Could we maybe go somewhere less sterile feeling?" Kaden asked as he watched Nadia uncork the jar. Truth was the medical ward was making him feel a bit more antsy and he really wanted to find out what had been done with his dog.

"Sure," Nadia replied after a short hesitation, re-corking the jar and stuffing it in her other apron pocket.
"There's a sitting room a little ways from here that looks nice."

Kaden quickly agreed, picked up his shirt, and led the way out. As they made their way to the sitting room the pair passed Lilith in her search for Dante, and it was a bit of disappointment that Kaden learned his dog had taken a shine to his sister's foster family and been left there prior to Dante's big mess. It was perhaps for the better since it meant Kalya had been safely out of the way for both fights which the battle dog no doubt would have jumped into had she been present.

Kaden tried not to look to disappointed at that information as Lilith continued her Dante search (eventual finding him) and he and Nadia went to the sitting room.
"I guess the fuzzball play day will have to happen another time then," he sighed as he sat on a low stool.

"I'm sure there'll be plenty of time," Nadia replied, taking the jar and kitten out of her pockets. She set the kitten down to roam freely and uncorked the jar again.
"Ready now?"

"Yeah," Kaden muttered, "Sorry to put you through all this trouble."

"It's fine, you did it protecting us. I don't mind helping," she replied as she began to smear the cream over his back. "Thank you for doing that, by the way."

"Well I wouldn't have been a very good friend, or man for that matter, if I hadn't at least tried," Kaden sighed, flinching a little as the cooling paste was spread over his bruises.

"I don't think being a guy obligates you," she began, working towards his lower back. "But you really were a good friend back there. It means a lot to me."

Kaden stiffened under her fingers a little, trying to decide if the motions of her hands hurt or felt good more.
"A very good person then, or maybe warrior," he started to clarify before deciding it didn't really matter. "The fuzzball looks like he's feeling better though."

"Is it hurting too much?" Nadia asked when he stiffened, leaning around to try to see his face.
"And yeah, he's perked right up, spoiled little thing. The lady servants all really seem to like him. I don't see a lot of cats around here, so I guess he's new."

"It does hurt," Kaden admitted after a moment, "or rather the bruises do. The paste feels good though . . . have you chosen a name for him?"

"Not yet," Nadia replied. "I was thinking maybe Oliver, though? He's got olive-colored eyes, and there's a book about a kid named Oliver going from being poor to being rich.

"A book?" Kaden questioned his interest clearly piqued. "Is it one we have here?" as soon as he felt she was finished he turned in his seat so he could look at her.

She looked a bit surprised at his sudden turn, but corked the jar and wiped her hands on her apron
"It's called Oliver Twist, but I don't think they have it here... I don't think it's been written yet. Maybe Piper has a copy of it on her electric thingy, though, if we could charge it somehow."

Kaden nodded. "I've been wondering if she was okay after that last attack anyway. But if we don't find it here, we could probably find another book . . . that is if you'd be interested . . ." for just a moment something like loneliness flashed across Kaden's face before he suppressed it.

"Uh, you sure...? Kaden... As much as I used to have a crush on you... We don't really get along that well, do we? I'm not saying no! I just... I'm really surprised. Are you sure you wanna read a book together?"

Kaden couldn't suppress the flinch he felt at her words and he looked down at his hands in the attempt to hide it.
"Do you remember why we were fighting?" he asked eventually, wondering internally if maybe this was all just a big mistake on his part. One thing he did know though, he was tired of feeling like dead weight.

"I do," Nadia replied. "And I wasn't saying no, I was just pointing out that we haven't been on the greatest terms. I was really surprised when you wanted to go to Waterworld with me, after everything... What would you wanna read?"

Kaden slowly looked up at her, momentarily forgetting to keep an eye on the romping kitten. "I'd like to be on better terms," he stated simply, "and since we both like reading I thought . . . well I'd like to read something we'd both enjoy--"

Nadia nodded and looked away, running her fingers through her hair.
"I think that'd be good," she said after a moment. "There are so many books here-- I could probably read any of them and be happy. We never had a lot of books back home."

"Do you - do you have a certain type of story you like better than others?" he prodded a little. "I mean I tend to favor things with adventure in them, but--"

She nodded. "I like adventure stories too, ones with lots of cool worlds... But maybe not one that's really violent or heavy. I've had more than enough of that to last me a lifetime," she replied, her voice running flat at the end.

"No, I agree," Kaden rumbled without missing a beat. He thought carefully for a moment before standing and walking over to a small book case in the corner, his shirt forgotten carelessly on the floor where the kitten could play in it. After a second he had picked a slim volume and brought it over.
"This one looks like a copy of something my father read to me as a child, one I learned English with actually. If I remember correctly it's fairly light content."

Nadia turned to watch him walk, her eyes widening a little as she watched him move shirtless before she turned her head away so fast her neck popped. Oliver bounded after Kaden and encircled his ankles at the bookcase, scooting away before Kaden moved.
"What's it about?" Nadia asked, moving to scoop Oliver up off the floor. "It looks interesting."

"It's a bit of a fairy tale," Kaden tried to explain, "about a young boy sent on a quest by a trapped wizard. The Wizard promises that if he can bring him the thing to break the spell that has him encased in the great tree, then the Wizard can restore the town's well and life source. It's got a lot of things in it. A talking cat, sand-ships and pirates, a dragon, a giant labyrinth, and a flying carpet."
"Once I was able I read this book every year until I joined the brotherhood -- haven't really had time since though--"

"That sounds like a good one," Nadia replied. "That's more or less what we saw in your dreamspace-- that story. Is there a maze with an alligator in it in the book?"

Kaden could only look at Nadia in confusion. "There was a maze with an alligator in my head?"

She nodded and began to describe their journey through his dreamspace, ending with their entry into the room where his younger self was reading and they faced the "wizard".

Kaden couldn't help the smile that crooked the corner of his mouth with the satisfaction of finally knowing.
"Makes sense," he murmured, "I was a bit obsessed with this book . . ."
With a sigh he settled down onto the floor and reached out a large hand to scoop the kitten into his lap. "Don't worry though, I'm fairly sure none of that will spoil the actual story. Can't tell you what the Alligator was though . . ."

"If you wanted to see it, maybe that stone Shola and Trev have would do it. It's what made those dreamspaces in the first place, I think," she said, plopping down in front of him to wiggle a ribbon in the kitten's face to entertain it.

"The stone?" Kaden's nose wrinkled in confusion. "You mean their fairy gift? How do you know what it does?"

"I, uh..." Nadia turned pink and refused to look him in the face.
"I haven't been sleeping a lot at night, so I walk around and-- and sometimes I catch conversations. I overheard them talking about it."

"Intentionally?" he couldn't help but ask.

"Not exactly," she replied with a bit of trepidation.

Kaden could only frown in further confusion, "If I asked would you tell me?"

"It's not really a big deal," she muttered, looking away and rubbing the back of her neck.

"I didn't mean to imply it was," Kaden answered softly looking instead at the kitten. "I think everyone's stayed to listen to a conversation they weren't involved in once or twice--"

She nodded and looked over at him finally. "So if you wanna use it sometime, I can go ask them about it. If.. If you'd let me, I wouldn't mind going in with you in case two people need to use it."

"I -- I well I'm not sure what I'd use it for--" Kaden admitted after a moment, "But Nadia, a moment ago, I didn't mean to make you think I was angry or anything--"

"Yeah, sorry... I thought you were gonna lecture me or something on it being wrong. Do... Do you want to start on the book now or something?"

"Well I think that people who intentionally listen to other people's private conversations eventually hear things they wish they hadn't," Kaden explained softly, "But that doesn't seem like the case here, and with a magic artifact involved, I'd probably have done the same thing," he admitted.

After a moment of searching he found his shirt on the floor and struggled into it before opening the book, but he hesitated.
"How - how do you want to read this? by turns or me reading to you? --"

"I, um... By turns? I'll read a chapter to you, and then you can do the next one?" she replied a bit hesitantly, taking the cat and settling herself on a couch with him.
"Does that work for you?"

"Sure," Kaden agreed, "And if either of us needs a break or wants to stop just say so? Shall I start?"

Nadia nodded and scratched Oliver's back just at the base of his tail. "Sure, that'd be good."

Kaden nodded and relaxed against the arm of the couch to that the worst of his bruises wouldn't be pressed against anything as he started into the first chapter. It was some time before either realized how late it had grown.

Trevean couldn't stop the warm feeling that flooded him at Shola's refusal to leave him out of the conversation, and neither did he try to hide if from the bond. In fact the bond was filled with it. This right here was more than he had ever imagined he'd get away with asking for.

"You might say she found me," Trevean replied with a slight smirk. "Marched into my shop and told me in no uncertain terms I was going to help her. Whether I wanted to or not."

Seahn laughed loudly and shook his head. "Aye, that's her for you. Never seen someone with that much determination to get her way. When she was just a lil thing--"

"Thank you, Seahn. And Trevean has been good company to keep," Shola cut in pointedly, taking a long gulp of her Cutter.

"Now what happens if I said I wanted to hear the end of that story?" Trevean turned his grin on her before taking a sip of his water.

Shola turned red and sighed, but clinked the bottom of her glass against his. "Well, if you really want to hear an embarrassing story of my childhood, I suppose that's only fair."

Seahn grinned and scooted his stool closer to Trevean's. "When she was a wee lass, just new at the castle, she used to be determined she was going to fly. So she'd up on anything she could climb on-- crates, tables, parapets, and try to fly. Ended up in the infirmary a lot that way until she figured out how to do it. Only broke her ribs about three or four times."

"Wait," Trevean stopped him, looking between the two, "Until she figured out how to do it?" and suddenly his curiosity was fixed solely on Shola. "Why haven't I heard about this ability before now, Chickadee?" The table responded with chuckles and grins as one might expect.

Shola clicked her teeth against the rim of her glass. "It's really hard to do, and I couldn't exactly call it flying-- just falling slowly with good aim. Besides, you saw me... Well, you saw me use it in Pandemonium," she said, trying to keep her voice level.
"It's generous to call it flying, anyway, Seahn. I just quit breaking my face on landing.

"Aye, that's true," he replied. "Anyway, she's a tough lass. Tell me, boy, what do you do with yerself? You're not a soldier, I see."

"I uh - Well you might say I'm a jack of all trades." Trevean fumbled for a moment having a bit of trouble dispensing with his usual flowery talk "I'm more a musician than a fighter, though I'm not half bad with throwing knives or a firearm."

Seahn raised an eyebrow at Trevean and then looked past him at Shola, who shrugged in return.

"It is nice not dating a soldier," she said, as if to explain. "And he is a wonderful musician, there is no question about that."
When Seahn seemed to still be waiting, she rolled her eyes.
"He isn't harmless, Seahn. My Altera can look after himself. Really."

"As long as it's a happy nest, chickadee," Seahn responded, chuckling. "That's all that matters."

Shola frowned and pretended to be annoyed as the table chuckled at "chickadee", but couldn't hide a smile as she ordered more Cutter.

"Well if he's still as good as he was when we were kids, I'll wager Trev can still out play any person at this table when it comes to knives or darts," a deep voice boomed from the door. When Trevean turned to look he found his brother framed in twilight as he followed an older man in.

"Lad's got promise," the fellow explained when the others questioned his choice of companion.

Shola waved her hand to quiet the rest of their questions, next beckoning Maev over to where they were sitting.
"I'm glad to see you here, Auster. If Denton says you have promise, I imagine we'll be talking a lot more soon. Anyway, make yourself at home. What do you want to drink?"

"Single malt whiskey on the rocks," Trevean answered for him and when Maevric looked surprised that the answer was correct he simply clarified, "It was grandfather's drink of choice."

"Your's too if I remember correctly,"

Trevean was spared having to answer by another soldier who called him away to prove his brother's boast about the darts.

• Love
Reactions: Midian and Kura
As Lilith directed him to the bath and peeled his clothing away, Dante was uncharacteristically cooperative and silent, his eyes half-closed and glassy. He didn't protest losing his pants, but neither did he answer when she questioned what he put in them. It was not fear or detachment that made him compliant, but something Dante had no name for. As far as his memory could extend, he'd bathed himself; no one had washed his hair for him or helped him in and out of the bath tub. When she poured the water over his head he jumped in surprise and shook his head, unprepared for someone pouring water on his head; it took him a moment to realize she'd been washing his hair. After she wrapped the towel around his waist he held it and followed her to bed, pausing at the edge of the bed to halfheartedly look for his pants before settling for a loose pair of cotton pants. What did they need to do for him? Dante didn't know why he was asking himself that other than he knew the answer and didn't like it.
"We'd have to go to Clara-- back to Cyberia," he replied, stretching out on his stomach with his head on his arms.
"I guess we have to go anyway," Dante amended. "But I need my artificial stuff fixed, if it can be fixed."

He rolled onto his side and hesitantly reached out for Lilith.
"It'll be okay. I'm sure it can be. It's been long enough that this shit shouldn't be experimental anymore. I bet they've got even newer, nicer shit."

Dante pulled her close, sighing into her hair.
"It'll be okay," he repeated.

The game of darts wore on for awhile, other guardsmembers stepping up to play Trevean as bets were made. Shola was content to watch and cheer him on until eventually she walked over, a bit unsteadily, and patted him on the arm.
"We need to get going, it's really late," she said, linking her arm in his as they said their goodbyes and left. As they walked back to the castle, it was apparent Shola was a bit drunk, leaning on him occasionally and humming broken snatches of songs, albeit well on-key. She managed to seem surprisingly sober by the time they got to the castle, but as soon as they were away from most of the guards she dropped the act again, stumbling into his room with him and crawling into his bed without another word. When Trevean made a blanket wrap of her and laid next to her she sighed and pouted, but rolled over when it was clear he wouldn't get under the covers with her and soon was snoring.

In the morning, after Shola had apologized and extracted herself, she kissed Trevean on the cheek and rushed off to catch up on whatever new crisis she'd missed out on. Nadia had bid Kaden goodnight long ago, but Piper had not seen her in their room that night, and Kaden found her roaming around looking for the girl.
"You haven't seen her, have you?" Piper asked Kaden. "She gets off on her own a lot and I'm worried about her."

Meanwhile, Dante was in no hurry to get up in the morning, finally starting to feel the fog recede from his mind. It was too seductive of an idea to lie in bed with Lilith and pretend, for awhile, that everything was really okay. As she slept he watched her with the eye that wasn't pressed into the pillow, twirling her hair through his fingers.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Kura
((mini collab with Midian))

Trevean found the evening mostly pleasant. So long as he stayed by the dartboard, watching or playing himself, he was free to ignore the amount of alcohol that flowed through the group, or try to. The scent was getting to him. His body was beginning to crave. But Trevean didn't want to be the one to ask to go home.

Instead he tried to focus on the jokes that flew through the air and the good-natured teasing that filled the room. Most of it seemed to be directed at him and Shola, but they ribbed each other in the same manner. He felt accepted. The words "civvie" and "pretty boy" seemed to fly about quite often. Mock surprise at his darts skill was also prevalent when he proved better than all but the most skilled of the soldiers. And he heard once or twice some comments that seemed to be wondering if Shola wore the pants in the relationship. That last one rankled him a little. Not because he was old fashioned, but because he liked to think they balanced each other and had skills that were equal if different.

"I wear my own pants, thank you very much," he snapped good-naturally the eighth time it was mentioned.
"Aye, and does she wear them too, or just the shirts?" came a an older soldier's snarky reply. It was clear Shola heard and her blush gave away the truth of the remark. The red guard laughed, and Trevean managed to look pretty smug.
"I'm glad you enjoy butting into other people's relationships, though if you keep it up the only person to wear your shirts will be you," Trevean responded earning a rousing chorus of approving laughter.
"Just as well with me if my lass didn't wear any shirts at all!" There was more laughter and clinking Cutter bottles together and Trevean wisely chose to leave the comment alone.

Fortunately it wasn't long after that before Shola announced it was time to go and rescued him from the bar crowd. Yet his gratitude only lasted until he realized exactly how drunk she was. Drunk Shola was a very willful Shola. Several times he had to redirect her from stubbornly walking in the wrong direction, usually by wrapping an arm around her, and once by actually carrying her for a block or two. She struggled against him on that one, kicking her legs and eventually resorting to blowing in his ear. He nearly dropped her then and before he actually did set her feet on the ground.

After that she did seem to sober up, but it seemed to last only until they had passed the guards and they were once again alone in the palace halls. He said nothing as she led the way to his room and crawled into his bed, only helped her off with her shoes. Though he couldn't help but grumble that one was supposed to blow across the ear and not directly in.
Her repose was a giggle and something unintelligible in Irecoan.

"You know I have no clue what you're saying," he told her pointedly only to be rewarded by Shola sticking out her tongue.

With a sigh Trevean changed into his sleep cloths and settled in on top of the covers and mumbled something about asking in the morning. This however only drew a pout from Shola who rolled over in the attempt to solicit cuddles. He held firm. It wasn't that he was angry or uncomfortable with her, but the events of the evening had tested him in a way he hadn't anticipated, and he felt it was wiser not to tempt fate further. Yet he could tell Shola was displeased and so he turned to roll her into a blanket burrito and draped and arm over that. For tonight it would have to suffice.

They woke together and early. Shola was clearly tired and a little hungover. Trevean was amused, sympathetic, and quick to ask what she needed
"A bath and some food, something warm to drink. Do you mind? I'll make it all up to you later-- I know I was a pain to get home."
"You weren't a pain, Chickadee. I'll go find you some breakfast while you bathe, and we can talk it over later?"

Shola was out of the tub and already dressed, she had apparently had a uniform staffed in his room at some point, when Trevean brought in a tray of breakfast for the two of them. He set it on the bed so they could picnic side by side before he spoke.

"How are you feeling, Chickadee?"
"A lot better. Did you make this? You didn't have to go to the trouble."
"Would it make a difference if I said I wanted too?"
"It does, but I still appreciate it. This is so good," Shola responded as she ate. Trevean picked slowly at his own food. "I hope I wasn't too much trouble last night."
He had to laugh a little. "You were a little touchy, as in hands on touchy, a little more playful than I usually get to see - I'd like to see that side again some time, and a whole lot of stubborn."
Shola chuckled a little herself. "Well, I was drinking to celebrate for once, not to cope. I wasn't touchy in a bad way, was I?"
"No it wasn't bad. And what was on the boarder of too much was redirect-able. How much do you remember?" he asked a touch concerned.
"I remember walking in the wrong direction on purpose so you'd hold me or carry me and blowing across your ear, and being carried at the end. Thank you for taking care of me"
Trevean smiled and sighed a little. "Shola? Can I make a request?"
"Absolutely."
"I don't mind handing out with your friends or anything, but maybe next time - can there be maybe half as much alcohol involved? across the board I mean." there was no hiding the uncertainty in his voice.
"I can drink less, and maybe try to encourage them, but outside of my role as the captain, I can only moderate them so much. I will try, though."
"Maybe if we weren't at the bar?"
"I can arrange that
Trevean looked visibly relieved, "I don't mind if you want to go to the bar with them or anything, but I would like permission to excuse myself."
"Of course-- I wasn't as happy about you meeting them there, but they'd already made plans before I invited you," Shola was quick to answer.
"Thank you, for including me. They seem to care about you a lot."
"I'm glad you got to meet them. They got me through a lot of hard times before I met you. Speaking of, I need to go see what fires need putting out today. But perhaps we can swing lunch later on?" she asked, tying her boot.
"I'd like that," Trevean answered simply. "I need to try to be productive on that stack of paperwork Gibbs brought Maev and I yesterday anyway. He's a fine steward, Gibbs."
"Gibbs is, you're right. He's been immensely helpful to me."

With a smile Trevean set about collecting the breakfast things as Shola finished her other boot. "Thank you, Chickadee, for accommodating me. I'll do my best to stay out of your way until lunch." He meant it in a positive way, in a they were working things out sort of way, and the bond carried all his appreciation to her.
She rose and kissed him on the cheek. "See you at lunch, irriam."
With a slightly crooked smile Trevean watched her stroll from the room.

Trevean returned to the largish office he shared with Maevic after returning the now empty breakfast tray to the kitchens. The office had beet set up with one desk to either side for the two brothers and another row of smaller ones occupied by several clerks and Gibbs, the man Trevean had so openly praised. Gibbs was one of the palace stewards. A somewhat portly gentleman with iron grey hair, a stern demeanor, and keen eyes, he saw more than most men Trevean knew added together. Made a widower at a young age with no children the man had thrown himself into his work, and his mastery of it showed. It had taken Gibbs no more than two hours to figure out which brother tended to which type of work and which temperament when it came to executing the law, and he deftly directed cases to the man best suited for a task. He was also quick to inform them when he believed a case should bee looked into together.

Trevean had early on ask him if she didn't want to tackle a pile himself, but Gibbs was quick to inform him that not only was his current situation unsuited to that type of work, according to the court, but reading for hours gave him a headache and he also had matters to the household to attend to. And attend he did. A more efficient man Trevean had never met.

Trevean was neck deep in following a money trail back to the culprit of what was clearly embellishment when the man entered the room with a pot of tea, collected the files related to more kidnappings, and retreated with then probably to Shola's office where all such things were now being collected. Trevean forced himself to ignore it. Whatever was going on, he tried to trust he'd be informed in due time.

Kaden first reaction to hearing Nadia was missing was confusion rather than worry.
"Are you sure?" he asked before he could stop himself. Of course Piper was sure. "I mean we were both up late reading in the library last night. Maybe she went back because she left something there?"

But Kaden's concern for the moment was less for Nadia and more for Piper. He knew for a fact Lilith was going through some shit and had Dante to help her through it, regardless of his feelings on Dante, and Nadia had hinted a little that she was as well. It wouldn't surprise him to learn Nadia was wandering around just to clear her head and work through things. Piper on the other hand . . .

"Look, I know you're worried about her. With everything that's been happening I'd be a little worried about everyone, but Nadia seems like she's figure out how to cope a little. I can tell you from experience alone time can help -- I'll help you look though -- but Piper, how are you doing?" He wondered if he was pushing too far, but continued anyway. "i mean after that attack the other night I didn't exactly take a chance to check in, and I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

• Love
Reactions: Midian
"We'd have to go to Clara-- back to Cyberia," Dante replied, stretching out on his stomach with his head on his arms. Immediately Lilith looked troubled at the statement.

"I guess we have to go anyway," Dante amended. "But I need my artificial stuff fixed, if it can be fixed."

"Then we need to talk to Shola. We need to get the situation we're in settled so that we can get you fixed. I'm sure that if Shola knew how sick you're getting that we could leave as soon as possible. Do you think everything can be fixed?"

He rolled onto his side and hesitantly reached out for Lilith, who responded by joining him on the bed.
"It'll be okay. I'm sure it can be. It's been long enough that this shit shouldn't be experimental anymore. I bet they've got even newer, nicer shit."

"I hope so.."

Dante pulled her close, sighing into her hair.
"It'll be okay," he repeated.

The next morning, Lilith woke to Dante quietly playing with her hair. Despite the feeling it caused in the pit of her stomach when she saw the color of his skin in the sunlight, the young werewolf managed a smile and placed her hand on her Other's.

"Hey, you. Good morning. I hope you slept okay."

Lilith scooted closer to Dante, placing her head on his chest and keeping it there as if making sure that his heart was at least functioning well. She remained there for quite a while, almost falling asleep again to the sound of his heartbeat. It wasn't until pangs of hunger in her stomach caused her to stir that she sat up and stretched.

"You need to eat a little something, even if it's something bland so you can keep it down. I'm going to go find some food and see what the atmosphere is like this morning. Hopefully I can find Shola and figure out when we can get you to Cyberia and get you fixed."

Lilith slid out of bed and changed into a clean pair of clothes, pulling her hair up into a messy bun. Pin-ko had managed to drag her boots over to the foot of the bed and was now standing beside them proudly, admiring his accomplishment. Lilith sat on the edge of the bed to put them on, then picked up Pin-ko and allowed him to skitter on to her shoulder.

"Alright. I'll be back soon," she said, turning to face Dante, "For Goddess sake, Dante, please stay in here, okay? No sneaking off. I'll try not to be gone long."

Lilith kissed Dante's forehead before leaving, promising again that she would return soon as she closed the door. After a few minutes of walking Lilith saw Kaden and Piper talking in the distance. Calling out and waving to them, she made her way over. Unable to help but notice the concerned look on the two's faces, Lilith crossed her arms and looked to Kaden.

"Are you guys okay? What's going on?"

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
"I'm okay," Piper replied, smiling a little self-consciously. "I got out of there pretty fast and it only banged me up a little; I think it was more interested in you. Are you okay? I really appreciate you saving my butt out there."

She leaned against the windowsill and crossed her arms.
"I wonder when we're going to Cyberia, anyway? It seems like we've been wasting a lot of time here-- not that I mind staying out of trouble or anything. But..."

She shrugged.
"It seems like good's been going on for too long, I can't help thinking something bad is going to happen."

Piper looked over as Lilith entered and waved at her.
"Hey, everything's okay. We were just talking about the attack the other night and when we were going to go to Cyberia. How's Dante doing? And how are you? You doing okay?" Piper asked Lilith.

[The next day]

Shola sat down her quill and offered Trevean half of her sandwich.
"It looks like we've got about got everything as orderly as it can be, and now we can work on maintaining order rather than creating it. Now that that's done, we really can't put off going to Cyberia any longer. I don't think Dante can either, judging by the look of him. We can--"

Shola looked up at the pale page who had sidled into the room clutching a muddied letter.
"Let's have it," she said sharply when the page was reticent, but after she extended her hand he brought it to her. It's contents were simple enough: Ed Auster had been taken "home" and would perish if "the spider didn't come back to its web". The letter was addressed simply to "S and T".

"Trevean, I will go. You must NOT enter that place, do you understand me? What you saw there-- in my dream, that was nothing compared to the real place. I can get in and out, but you-- I promise I will bring Ed back alive. Just please do not follow me!"

• Love
(previous day)

"Are you guys okay? What's going on?"

"Hey, everything's okay. We were just talking about the attack the other night and when we were going to go to Cyberia. How's Dante doing? And how are you? You doing okay?" Piper asked Lilith.

Kaden was relieved to hear Piper was okay, but before he could ask anything else Lilith appeared and Kaden shifted his attention to her. After everything they'd been through, after everything he'd learned, he wasn't quite sure if what he wanted to ask would be acceptable, but had had to try. The truth was he hardly knew his sister as well as he wanted to, but he had come to the realization that he couldn't expect her to be open with him if he wasn't in return. They hadn't after all, grown up together, and the way things stood he'd be'd probably be better off acting like they had just met.

"Hey, Sis," he started, "Addae ask me to eat a meal with them . . . If it won't cause you any trouble, would you like to join us? Dante too if he's feeling social."

Kaden added Dante's name in almost as an after thought. He wasn't entirely sure of the big man just then, but he was going to try. And he had a feeling that including the man would be far better for all of them in the long run than not.

(current)

Kaden waited on a bench in one of the castle gardens. He had finished his assigned work for the morning and been granted a long lunch so that he could take Addae and Sala up on their offer. Now he waited for Lilith, unsure if she was planning on bringing Dante or not, and hoping everything would go well. The last think Kaden wanted was to introduce his long lost sister to some of his friends and have things go sour again.

This was not how the day was supposed to go. Trevean's plans had included ordering a set of silver throwing knives, working on a slew of cases with Maevric and Gibbs, lunch with Shola, followed by more cases. Everything has gone as planned until lunch and that letter.

A moment after telling him she was going to rescue his brother alone, Shola was gone.

Not just absent gone, closed bond gone.

It took Trevean a moment to register everything. His brother, who he knew had gone to help a friend, had some how been captured. Only Shola seemed to know who the perpetrator was or where this person's "home" place was, and he had been forbidden from helping.

"SHOLA!" He suddenly roared as he hauled himself after her, not in rage but determination.
But Trevean had waited too long.
No one had seen her long enough to know where she had gone.
Not even Maevric.

The younger Nack's mouth thinned when Trevean finally found and informed him of what was happening.
"She's probably trying to protect you the same way we both want to protect Ed," he rumbled. "Go Trev, I'll tell the folks, keep them reassured."
"I can't go, Maev," Trevean snapped back, "She's closed the bond and I have no idea where-"
"ARE YOU A NACK OR NOT, MAN!" Maevric suddenly roared. "Or has your time spent masquerading as a human addled your wits? When this form fails use the abilities of another!"
"Wings? Search from the sky--" his panic fogged, normally so collected, brain had reached a lace where it was overwhelmed. Yet he was aware of it enough to not-quite ask for help.

Trevean paused as he watched his brother tap his nose. "Scent."
"You of all people should know hers the best. And if I might suggest--"

Less than ten minutes later and awkwardly colors white and black bloodhound raced from the palace gates as it quite obviously followed its nose.

• Love
Reactions: Midian and Kura
"Hey, Sis," he started, "Addae ask me to eat a meal with them . . . If it won't cause you any trouble, would you like to join us? Dante too if he's feeling social."

Lilith smiled, nodding as she answered. "That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I could do with some fun right about now."

Of course, Lilith couldn't turn down the opportunity to spend some quality time with Kaden. It would be the first time in a while that they could enjoy themselves without the threat of being interrupted by some sort of disaster. She knew, though, that it would be best for Dante to remain closed away until things had properly calmed down. It was keeping him inside the room without him sneaking out that would be the challenge.

That evening as she settled into bed next to him, Lilith explained Kaden's invitation to Dante and let him know that she planned to attend.

"I think it's best if you stay here, Dante. I'd be happy to bring you some food back if you like. This might be a good time for me to make a good impression on some of the Daalai higher-ups."

After managing to get him to promise to stay, Lilith finally was able to fall asleep in peace, her arm wrapped around one of Dante's.

The next morning Lilith spent a reasonable amount of time choosing what she would wear. Normally she didn't much care what she wore around others, clothes were clothes, but for this occasion she felt a need to impress. Whether it was in support of Kaden or wanting to make up for her past mistakes in the Daalai Kingdom, she didn't know. Maybe she wanted to seem more civilized than the wolf they believed her to be.

Around lunch Lilith made her way to the castle gardens, appearing in the doorway nearest to Kaden's bench soon after he had arrived there. The Daalai girl's long white hair was in a braid that draped forward over her shoulder. She wore a frilled beige tunic with baggy pants underneath a slim fitting brown mesh robe. Her sandles matched the color of her hair.

With a smile Lilith waved at her brother, "Kaden! Hi! It's just me. Dante wasn't really feeling up to things today. Ready to go?"

• Love