Saving The World In Spite of Ourselves

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Trevean started coughing the minute he changed back, and he knew immediately why. The reason was in the air all around them and the worst part was, the nack had the sneaking suspension that inside the smoke filled break room was probably still better than anywhere else. He could feel the contaminants in him now and worse still he knew his chances of getting rid of them weren't good. Still it wasn't much and a few hacks relieved the strain.

Yet though he turned his back to the others out of politeness, his partially covered ears still heard every word. They needed funds and this place was apparently expensive. Well fund he had in plenty.

"I should have enough to subsidies if not cover the living costs in my Metro accounts, If there's an appropriate way to transfer ..." but the shake of Dante's head told him the answer.

"Not even if Aquaman's cash is used to buy something there we can sell here?" came Kaden's astute query, But even that was a failure. The magical matrix was too unstable on this end to guarantee the location of a portal opening and there was no telling if the world had enough left in it to make that many portals to and from so close together. That and there simply wasn't enough time--

• Love
Reactions: Midian
"I wish that were so, Kaden," Shola said sadly. "But this place-- I can do no magic here and creating a portal home will be... Dangerous," she finished, clearly softening her choice of words as her eyes darted briefly to Trevean. His coughing worried her because she knew the air was dirty; although she was not a Nack, she still carried some of the properties of them as they were children of Kirimbal and so she felt the sickness of the world, just not as strongly as her Other.

"Does that mean Lilith can't either?" Dante asked, and Shola nodded.
"Neither of us can do magic. I suspect Trevean can change because it is his physical nature-- Lilith may too, but only an untethered Guardian could access enough of their power to open a portal or do anything here. And we do not count any of them among us."

Under the table she squeezed Trevean's knee gently, seeking his hand to hold as she leaned back in the chair and gave a little, irritated cough of her own.
"What are our next steps? After your surgery?" Shola asked.
"As much as I hate it, going to see Katya," Dante replied, shaking his head. "Whatever's going on, she knows about it, and she'll know why Palomo Station is sectioned off. Given that it's a recent thing, I bet that's where the casket is."
"And, uh, we noticed something about Clara too," Nadia said quietly, nudging Lilith to get her to tell Shola.
"Claire?" Dante asked incredulously. "Well, if anyone was..."
"So perhaps it is fortunate that we are staying with her," Shola mused. "Some good luck for us, then."

Slowly Shola rose and nodded to Kaden, indicating the door they'd come from.
"A moment?"

Once outside she leaned against the brick wall and crossed her arms, looking briefly out at the mouth to the alley.
"We are the only two warriors left while Dante is down," she began, sitting on a crate and patting the one next to her.
"And your sense of danger is the keenest of us all. Here, that is our biggest asset. I'm going to need your help more than ever, Kaden. I can't watch everyone as closely as I need to, and I need you at my right hand. Even well, Dante is frightened here; he's going to make irrational choices. I know it's been a rough start with us for you, and I didn't always back you when I should have. But now, can you lead alongside me, or if anything should happen to me here--"

She sighed.
"He knows this world, but he's no leader and has no desire to be. You have it in you and I trust you. Can you take on this task for me?"

• Love
Reactions: Falcon
Trevean placed his hand over Shola's and squeezed back, holding it a moment until she stood to lead Kaden outside. He'd gotten a glimpse of her intention from the bind and knew she knew he agreed. He was not a fighter, and if he was on the edge of getting sick, Trevean doubted he's have or ba able to maintain the concentration it would take to keep things moving.

"What about the things we brought over with us from Coroco to start?" he leaned forward to ask Dante quietly, suppressing another cough, "Could any of that be sold for enough cash to get you what you need?"

As if to illustrate his point Trevean reached for his violin case and opened it upside down, revealing only to Dante what was hidden in the secret compartment. Although with the bond it was highly possible Lilith would soon know as well. Inside was the set of solid gold hair-clips he's worn to the Water World ball, several earning sets that had obviously valuable stones in them (although they were mismatched as if only one at a time had ever been worn), what looked like a very pricey wrist watch, and a carefully wrapped ruby and diamond necklace.

((collab with @Midian))

Kaden followed Shola obediently outside, his eyes ticking over everything, his purifier danger sense settling as an unpleasant prickling on the back of his neck as if anything could happen anytime. His confusion was clear in his eyes with a touch of sadness.
"You're serious?" he asked cautiously, "you actually need me?"

"Of course I need you, Kaden... Perhaps I haven't always shown it as I should, but you are an asset to my team. Dante is a fighter, dangerous, but unpredictable, and Trevean is not conditioned for the same sort of fighting we are. I trust you a great deal, and I need to lean on you now more than ever."

Kaden fidgeted uncomfortably. "Aquaman is better suited mentally to - well any of this ... " he admitted quietly. "you can talk to him without words ... and as you said it's been a rough start. I doubt the others care if I'm even here much less if I'm trying to lead." It was a hard admission, but one that needed to be said.

Shola moved to put her hands on his shoulders, squeezing them gently. "It's been a rough entry into the group for you, I know that. I am sorry for the pain we've caused you. But they do care, and they want you here. I care and want you here. Trevean can be a leader, yes, but his style is... slow, better suited to politics. You are like me, we lead with action and when things must happen quickly. I believe that is better needed here."

"And ... if they won't listen to me?" he asked hesitantly.

"You may need to find more-- delicate words at times, as I often do myself. But they will see me turning to you, and they will too. I know they see me as the leader of this, although... I was initially only supposed to be protection for all of you. I was not meant to lead this expedition, merely to ensure it's safety. But it is a role I play easily, and one I think you can too with some more practice."

Kaden drew a deep breath and then nodded, "you will have to teach me," he admitted slowly. "And I have my principles which I will not violate," he added.

Shola nodded and moved back to lean again the wall, resting one foot against the grey-blue exterior. "As do I, although ours differ somewhat, and that is okay. As long as you are putting the well-being of the mission, and by extension the group, first, then I will leave the rest to your discretion. I trust you in that."

"I would not follow you as a leader if I thought you would not adhere to your own personal code," he murmured a little hoarsely shoving his hands in his pockets. "No matter how different it is from mine. And I will not ask them to follow me if I cannot keep my honor intact."

She nodded, smiling a little. "My personal code does prioritize the lives of those near me far over others, although I value the safety of my kingdom and queen above most things. But even if you falter, if you fail, I want you to know that you are still my friend and comrade, Kaden. Above all else."

He swallowed visibly and nodded and for the barest fraction of a second there was a hint of something like disbelief in his eyes before he shoved it back from the surface. "What would you have me do?"

"Believe me, for starters." Shola said wryly. "But watch out for them, let that danger sense be your guide, and whatever it takes, keep them safe. I know they will each challenge you in their own ways, especially Nadia and Dante. In time, I think you will figure out how to lead both."

Kaden suppressed a snort. "I'll take any tips you can offer. As for the danger sense, it's been in high gear since we came through. Right now I'm not sure I could tell you a real threat from the general state of threat occupying this world."

"Understandable... Even without it, there seems to be danger everywhere here. With regards to that, do your best. Perhaps their customs are different here, but people are still people. You know the posture and face of an enemy, don't you?"

"I know the posture and expression of a man set to attack," Kaden answered dryly, "But an enemy... that word depends on your point of view."

"Wise statement. Then look for those set to attack, and anyone who is, that is our enemy here. As for leading them, I can only say how I lead them, but what I do will not work for you. You must come into your own sort of leader, and that authenticity, that is what will draw them to follow you. But, can you tell me, what do each of them value in a person?"

Kaden hesitated then, his frown turning more pensive. "Aquaman is easy, he values integrity. Piper, intelligent conversation, probably. Dante - who can say. perhaps how they affect his personal safety."

Shola nodded encouragingly, "Go on
."
He suppressed a sigh, "My sister sees things only in terms of how they affect her other." Part of him knew that couldn't be true, but he didn't know what else to say.

"What else do you know of her and her life? What else could she value?" Shola prodded gently.

Kaden couldn't help the sigh of frustration that escaped his lips, "Safety and liberty. Self control."

"Good." Shola nodded. "And Nadia?"
Kaden just shrugged.
"She's human, too, Kaden, just like the others. What do you know about her?" Shola prodded, gentle but firm.

"I know enough not to analyze her." he answered shortly. Especially when there was a chance she might overhear.

"If you're going to lead her, you need to step away from your feelings about her and your history with her. What does she value, Kaden?"

His lips pursed and his gaze set stubbornly before he finally sighed. "Her friends' lives I guess."

"Yes, and what else?"

Kaden dared meet Shola's gaze briefly. "How about you tell me?"

"Well, is there any part of her history that is similar to anyone else here?" Shola's face belied a barely-hidden proud smile

"You've made the assumption she talks to me, Boss lady."

"She doesn't have to talk to you. What's her history? Where does she come from? What has she experienced, and what would those experiences change in her?" Shola continued, light twinkling in her eyes.

"Fine," Kaden grumped wondering for a moment if she was having fun at his expense, and very much afraid Nadia was listening somehow as she always seemed to do. "She likes to have her own way, and she values financial security, But I'm not going to try to bribe people into following me, even if I did have something of value to offer. They either will or they won't. It's up to them."

Shola nodded thoughtfully. "She does like having her own way, but all people do. Why do you think she insists on it so much?"

"Light, Shola, we both know that answer, are you really going to make me analyze her out loud?"

"If you know the answer, then you know how to lead her. I know this is hard on you, answering that question. So, I'll ask an easier one. What do I value?"

"Trevean." the word was out of Kaden's mouth before he could stop himself.

"Well, yes," Shola fumbled, her cheeks turning red. "But-- beyond my Other, what else?"

It was Kaden's turn to grin though the next few sentences were meant as a serious answer to the question. "Justice, success, our lives, your country..."

Shola nodded slowly, looking proud of him. "Yes, all of that is true. So, to lead them, you must frame what you ask as appealing to what they value. Know who values the same things, group them accordingly. And know who listens to who if you need someone else to help apply pressure on a person who's reticent to obey."

"I understand, but may I ask...."

"Anything."

"If this is how you lead, then what do I value?"

"Well, tell me if I am correct? You value integrity, the safety and well-being of your people and those you care for, bravery, sacrifice, being honorable and following a moral code that speaks to the least harm for the most people. Am I correct?"

"More or less" Kaden answered with a slow nod. His hands stayed in his pockets and his eyes on the ground though projecting an air of uncertainty even as the set of his feet and the bristling of his shoulders proved he was still on edge.

"What have I missed?" Shola asked softly, reaching out to touch his arm.

"What have you missed?" Kaden repeated knowing what she probably meant but feeling momentary confusion.

"You seem on edge, anxious. Have I missed something you value? Or do you want to take a break from discussing this?"

"Having a home," he finally admitted quietly, "and feeling like I contribute. That's all really. You said the rest."

"Given all that's happened to you recently, that makes sense. I value having a home too," she admitted, just as quietly. "And I hope I can help you find a place that feels like home to you, and that I can show you just how much you contribute-- and will continue to contribute."

Kaden nodded slowly. "And for now. what would you like me to do?"

"Be my extra eyes and hands. Go with someone if they leave, watch what I cannot, ensure I do not get so wrapped up with my Other that I miss anything. Protect us."

"I'll do my best," he answered softly.

"And I know your best will serve us immensely," Shola replied, smiling warmly at him.

He managed a shaky smile in return. "Is there a plan?

"For now, it looks as though keeping the group safe as we move between the clinic and Clara's home will be paramount, and making sure Lilith doesn't do anything rash while Dante is recovering."

"You think there's a risk of that?"

"We've seen her do it before to help him, so let's keep it as something we're aware is possible." Kaden only nodded to show he understood.

• Love
Dante's eyes widened as Trevean showed him the jewels and finery.
"Yeah-- yeah, that stuff would fence. For a lot, you don't see shit like that anymore, not since-- well, whatever happened. But I saw you wearing those-"

He gently pushed a few of the clips around with his fingertips.
"You sure you wanna part with them? I mean-- this is your stuff. Are you really sure you wanna sell it? For me?"

There was something like confusion in his eyes, but something else too, a feeling Dante himself couldn't quite seem to udnerstand or process. His eyes flickered between the jewels and Trevean's face as Trevean affirmed that the items could go, and the corner of Dante's mouth quirked.

"I think you oughta keep a couple of the earrings, though. She'd like them."

His grin was lopsided as he moved a couple of them away from the rest.
"This-- it means a lot. I'll pay you back for it, somehow, okay Trev?" He asked, the words rolling oddly out of his mouth.

"Alright, let's go back inside? It smells awful out here, and I think it is cold as well?" Shola asked, slight embarrassment creeping into her voice.

Meanwhile, inside, after chatting with Trevean, Dante had moved his and Lilith's chairs farther to the side, fidgeting with the frayed hem of his coat.
"So... they're going to be replacing a lot of stuff in me," he started, refusing to meet her eyes as he spoke.

"I mean, like... lots of stuff. Liver, or part of it, spinal support, cage support-- there's stuff between some of my ribs, to, like-- it keeps stuff from getting between them to more vital stuff. If the rest is gone, I imagine those are too. So... I guess that I'm saying it that anytime someone has major surgery, there's a chance shit might go-- really wrong. Y'know. Like the worst wrong. Not that it's likely! Clara's good, she's the fucking best and everybody knows it. And she's certified-- that's hard to do. So it's know like I'm guaranteed to-- you know... But I'm not guaranteed to live either. So, I don't... Fuck, I dunno what you do when you think you might not make it but you're leaving people behind-- might be leaving them behind. Probably won't, but-- just in case. So this is, um... That speech. If I do, Clara will give you a little device... Go find Katya and get her to download it on your phone, but please-- Please don't show what you see to anybody else, okay? Even if I wouldn't be around, I don't want them to see any of that."

He took a deep, bracing breath and reached over, tangling his fingers in hers and leaning forward to kiss aher.
"But I'm planning on waking up, so don't get too excited about learning all my deep ,dark secrets, yeah? And don't eat Claire out of house and home, I already owe her more than I can ever fucking afford."

Dante grinned at her a little, hoping the joke had sounded as such. When Shola and Kaden came back in he briefly nodded at them and stood up, walking over to the pair.

"Trevean is gonna fence some of--"

Dante had begun facing Shola as he spoke, but Shola had nodded to Kaden and briefly touched Dante's arm before ducking off to go sit with Trevean.

"Fence some of his stuff for extra cash," Dante continued a little uneasily, now looking to Kaden. "It won't cover everything, but it's a start. Once I'm off the bed, we'll need to figure out some other stuff too."

As Dante spoke to Kaden, Shola sat down by Trevean and looked over the jewelry he meant to sell.
"It should fetch a good price, hopefully," she said, looking the pieces over with a critical eye.
"The earrings-- why do you only have one of each?" Shola asked, turning one over in her fingers and coughing a little.

• Love
Lilith remained quiet throughout a lot of the conversation, unsure herself if she was just being shy around someone who had known Dante longer than she had, or if the gravity of the situation was just beginning to hit her. After Shola took Kaden to talk privately, Dante moved closer to Lilith, who was unable to look at anything but his fingers fidgeting with the hem of his coat.

"So... they're going to be replacing a lot of stuff in me," he started, equally as hesitant to look at his Other. Lilith's breath immediately caught in her throat as her mind raced to say the words before he did to keep her from being so shocked to hear them.

"I mean, like... lots of stuff. Liver, or part of it, spinal support, cage support-- there's stuff between some of my ribs, to, like-- it keeps stuff from getting between them to more vital stuff. If the rest is gone, I imagine those are too. So... I guess that I'm saying it that anytime someone has major surgery, there's a chance shit might go-- really wrong. Y'know. Like the worst wrong."

At this, Lilith immediately lifted her head, her face showing a roller coaster of emotions that continued on through the bond.

"Not that it's likely! Clara's good, she's the fucking best and everybody knows it. And she's certified-- that's hard to do. So it's know like I'm guaranteed to-- you know... But I'm not guaranteed to live either. So, I don't... Fuck, I dunno what you do when you think you might not make it but you're leaving people behind-- might be leaving them behind. Probably won't, but-- just in case. So this is, um... That speech."

Lilith continued to watch, now playing with her own shirt hem herself. The look on her face clearly urging him to show her the silver lining of the situation.

"If I do, Clara will give you a little device... Go find Katya and get her to download it on your phone, but please-- Please don't show what you see to anybody else, okay? Even if I wouldn't be around, I don't want them to see any of that."

That was unexpected, but what else should she expect from Dante by now? Not even she could answer that question. Deciding against the skeptical look she wanted to give him, she merely nodded.

"Okay, I promise."

Lilith shuffled her feet as Dante drew in a breath, unsure of whether she should follow the urge to hold him like she wanted.

"But I'm planning on waking up, so don't get too excited about learning all my deep ,dark secrets, yeah? And don't eat Claire out of house and home, I already owe her more than I can ever fucking afford."

"I'd rather keep you around than have to find out your secrets anyway. I think all of our lives are dramatic enough as it is," she joked, "The food, however, I can definitely promise to leave alone. Nothing here is made of meat anyway and I have yet to see an apple."

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
[bcolor=transparent](( collab with Kura )) [/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent] "Dramatic is one word for it," Dante laughed, pushing his sleeves up his arms a little to expose the tattoo marred by bite scars.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent] "And no, there's no meat… There's no animals," he explained. "I dunno what happened, but there's never been any as far as anyone remembers. So you just gotta hold out until we find the casket and then we'll… Find a way back ho-- back in Coroco for you to pig out. But you can't starve yourself here either, okay? I know it isn't great, but it's still food-y enough to keep you alive."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]Lilith blushed a bit, glancing to the side, "I wouldn't say 'pig out' would be the term for it," she huffed[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent] "Pig in, then? Pig in you?" he asked, laughing a little.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Preferably." Lilith quipped, laughing in return. "I know. I will be fine. I can eat other things aside from meat, even fake meat. Especially if it means getting you back to your old self."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Good," he replied. "Someone's gotta be well, and it won't be me for a bit. Are you gonna be okay while I'm under?"[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"I don't know, honestly. It's beginning to get to a point where I can't remember being without you anymore." Lilith said, lowering her eyes again as she began to fidget with the ends of her fingernails. "I-I guess we'll see."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Lil, you could do a lot better than me. I don't want you to fall apart without me, 'cause, you know, I do care about you. The group is here to support you and all, you know that, right? I know they would."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]He reached over and tentatively put his hand over hers.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]"So don't fall apart, okay? It'll be okay."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]Lilith winced a little as he touched her hand, causing the tears she had been trying to hide to run down her face. [/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Even if I could do better, I don't want to. I know that when this started, we didn't really.. Hit it off… But things have changed so much. I care about you too. I don't know what I'm going to do if.. if.. "[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]Lilith trailed off, finally giving into the tears she knew would come eventually. She turned her hand so that their palms touched and clasped on to him, her shoulders bouncing as she attempted to hide her silent sobs.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"C'mon Lil, it's okay," Dante tried to soothe, pulling her into a hug.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]"I'm not gonna kick it, I'll be fine. Clara's the best there is. If anyone can do it, she can. She's saved my life a million times. This isn't gonna be any different. Look, while I'm under, I bet Kaden would love to keep you company, or maybe you could do Guardian weird stuff with Shola?"[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]Lilith clung to Dante, sniffling loudly. "I don't know what we'd do. Our magic doesn't work here." She grumbled, resting her head on his shoulder, "Are we going to have to be at Clara's while you're in surgery? Am I going to be able to be here when you wake up?"[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"You'll have to go home during the day when she goes home; I don't want you left alone without her. But she'll be here at night, and while she's here, you'll be with me. I hope you will be, and if she thinks I'm waking up, she'll let you stay, I'm sure. I, uh-- I'd like it if you were there when I did. But I'd much rather you were somewhere safe."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]He looked up as Clara walked over, having changed into fresh scrubs and a new coat.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]"Alright Dante. The table's open, everything's ready to go. I'm gonna get you to strip down for me and then I'm gonna dose you up with the propofol--"[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent] [/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]"C'mon Claire-- You know I hate that stuff."[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]"Yeah, and I know you don't react well to the Dolaphan either. You need to be under, not half-awake. You're weird when you're not."[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]"Claire, please--"[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]"No! You're bad enough with just the prop. I'm not asking, I'm telling. D'you want anyone with you while you go under? I mean, besides your-- um-- girlfriend?"[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Whoever wants to be there. I trust them. Lil, will you…?"[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]Lilith nodded.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]Dante led her to a private room and hesitated.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]"Help me get this stuff off?"[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]Equally as hesitant, Lilith agreed and helped Dante with all of the straps and belts included in his outfit. She instructed him to lift his arms the best he could and worked his shirt off from around him, her hands moving quickly until she stopped herself from going for his belt buckle. She then paused and looked up at him for further instruction. Carefully Dante undid the belt and the pants immediately sagged, making it easy for him to let them fall and step out of them, holding Lilith's shoulder for balance.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Will you go get Clara, tell her I'm ready? And ask the others if they'll come while I get knocked out?"[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Yeah." Lilith nodded and turned and headed for the door, pausing only to glance back at him before opening it.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"He's ready, Clara." Lilith said, passing the woman by to proceed to the others. [/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Guys. He wants us all to be there when he goes to sleep." Lilith glanced over the others, resting her eyes finally on Shola. "Come on."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]Clara nodded and reached in her pockets, pulling out a pair of light blue gloves and snapping them on as she headed back to the room. Shola, meanwhile, reached over and squeezed Trevean's hand lightly.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Let's go, shall we?" she asked them. When they arrived Clara was administering the propofol, watching Dante warily.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"He'll be a little loopy soon, and when he is, I'll take give him something stronger. In the meantime, I wouldn't make sudden sounds or movements, and it's probably not a good time to touch him, okay? But you can talk to him, although he might not remember it."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Du siehst aus wie du bei meiner Beerdigung bist. Hör auf, so verdammt traurig zu sein," Dante said, giving a shaky giggle and looking pointedly at Trevean.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"Yeah, he's gettin' there," Clara remarked. "Let's keep him occupied a little longer, okay? Just talk to him, keep him calm."[/bcolor]

[bcolor=transparent]"I'll be here when you wake up." Lilith whispered. She smiled as she spoke, wanting it to be the last thing he saw of her before falling asleep. "I promise."[/bcolor]

• Love
Reactions: Kura and Falcon
"I don't need them since I cut my hair," Trevean had reassured Dante as the other man pushed the clips around, "And yes. If they can do some good I will gladly part with them. I can venture a good guess as to what it must take to make money here."
He watched the other man and gauged his reactions because it was rare to see so much of Dante's emotions float to the surface however briefly. After a moment Trevean separated the earring sets out that Dante had suggested he keep and closed up the case again for later.
"You don't have to repay me at all," he insisted before turning to hide another cough and catching Shola watching him

He moved to sit with her and opened the secret compartment again to show her the items Dante meant, fishing some out of a fold in the lining when she asked where the other halves were. After a moment he gave her a cheeky wink and thumbed his ear to draw attention to a still functional piercing.

"No colder than an average Daalai night," Kaden had answered as Shola moved inside again.

It felt odd to function as a leader, although he knew well what Shola must be trying to do. After she had explained everything... but it still felt odd and he still didn't fully understand why she had chosen him.

If Kaden was honest with himself he really didn't want to be in the room while they put Dante under for surgery. He couldn't place why but it reminded him somehow of trying to calm the brotherhood after a nasty battle. Although that usually involved booze.. And so he lingered in the doorway close enough to be present but far enough to sneak away as soon as he wouldn't be missed. He was too much on edge. He needed to breath.

Still Kaden was present to hear Dante speak in Trevean's strange language and hear Trevean answer back even as the other man grew a touch pale as if realizing something.

"Es wäre einfacher, wenn du sprachst, wie du leben wolltest."

Trevean covered well, but the truth was he had just realized the other man had understood him at his worst. Truly Dante owed him nothing. Fencing his accessories was the least he could do to make up for those harsh words. Through the bond Shola felt a brief spark of self-disappointment.

• Love
Reactions: Kura and Midian
After Dante had been taken away, the smile that had been lingering on Lilith's face since she said her 'see you later' to Dante (she had decided it most certainly was not a goodbye) completely vanished from her face. Dante had all the faith in this world in Clara, and that must have meant something. This is what she tried to keep in mind while she waited for any update at all, although she knew the only update she would probably get was seeing Dante come out of surgery.

Lilith tried to sit and wait patiently, but this proved too much of a task. She had too much going on in her mind. The young girl began to pace back and forth, fidgeting with her fingernails as she did so.

• Love
Reactions: Midian and Falcon
" Ich war ein Unfall - zweimal," he replied, his last word dissolving into frightened, warbling laughter. Clara glanced over at him, on edge, and hurriedly injected something into his IV. However, she wasn't fast enough for him not to notice and he tried to roll onto his side to look at her, breathing faster and harder.

"What did you give me?!" He demanded, sudden fear and anger flooding the bond. Shola looked quickly to Trevean and Lilith, then back to Clara, who was doing her best to look calm despite being clearly worried.

"You don't wanna go thorhugh surgery feeling everything, do you? You wanted me to do this," she said, keeping eye contact with him as she carefully moved her hands to the restraints on the bed. Dante was briefly mollified, but as soon as the first restraint closed he tried to come off the bed and Clara looked up at the others.

"I don't wanna call in-- Fuck, Dante--"

She stepped away from him grabbing for her.

"Help?" She asked them, reaching for something in her pocket.

"Lilith, Trevean?" Shola asked, moving to catch Dante's other hand before he tried to grab at Clara again.
"Dante, you need this," she said gently, but he looked at her with unadulterated fear, trying to get away from her as well. However, despite struggling in her grip, she was unmovable and Clara raised an eyebrow at her.

"You must really work out," she muttered. "But he needs to calm down AND be still."
"You fucking bitch-- let go of me!" He snarled at Shola, who didn't respond as Clara restrained the arm she was holding.

"Does he know who we are?" Shola asked quietly, and Clara shrugged as she moved to the foot of the bed to catch his legs.

"Debatable, when they're going under all that training that's still under there kicks in and they get a little crazy. He's especially bad about it, and he'll be bad when he wakes up too, although this is an improvement over the last time I sedated him. Can you get his girlfriend to talk to him? Or someone? And help me with his legs?"

Shola moved to join her, leaving Trevean and Lilith room to come to his side as she tried to grab one ankle. However, Dante only panicked worse and foot connected with her face, causing her to flinch and take a few steps back as her nose quickly began bleeding.

"Oh fuck, I'm sorry--" Clara began, but Shola waved it off.
"I'm fine, but subduing him by force may not be the best route for him. You're right, let's try to calcm him down."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
"Dante," Trevean started soothingly, trying to harness what little magic he could manage in the world and put soothing tones into his words. "You--" but then it occurred to him to answer in the language Dante himself had been speaking.
"Du bist kein Fehler"
you are not a mistake

He stepped forward a bit, not so close as to be in range but close enough Dante could focus on his face. "Du bist hier, weil du ärztliche Hilfe brauchst, mein Freund. Wir helfen Ihnen und unterstützen Sie. Bitte lassen Sie den Doktor ihre Arbeit machen? Du wirst nicht verletzt werden. Ich verspreche, dass wir es nicht zulassen werden. Richtig, Lilith?
You're here because you need medical attention, my friend. We're here to help and support you. Please let the Doctor do her job? You won't be hurt. I promise we won't let it happen. Right Lilith?

He motioned Lilith to trade him places. "Tell him he's safe here and that we're friends here to help," he murmured in her ear. Though he trusted her to already do just that. Trevean may have set the stage with his vocal abilities, but Lilith was the one with the bond. She would know better than anyone what things were soothing to Dante. She could probably feel them in motion.

Kaden however had a sudden feeling that he needed to step away. Call it purifier sense, or just gut instinct, but he knew his size and build and the very way he carried himself (especially here) could be considered threatening. He mentioned as much to Shola before excusing himself to step out of view into the hall outside.

A moment later a nurse was scolding him for loitering and he was being sent to a waiting room.

• Love
If Lilith didn't understand what Dante was saying, she didn't show it. As Shola stepped in to deal with Dante, Lilith took her spot next to the bed, looking for any opportunity to help herself. When Clara and Shola stepped down to the foot of the bed, Lilith stepped into Dante's view along with Trevean, lightly pressing her hands on the side of the bed.

"Du bist hier, weil du ärztliche Hilfe brauchst, mein Freund. Wir helfen Ihnen und unterstützen Sie. Bitte lassen Sie den Doktor ihre Arbeit machen? Du wirst nicht verletzt werden. Ich verspreche, dass wir es nicht zulassen werden. Richtig, Lilith?"

Unsure of what had actually been said to Dante, Lilith nodded to Trevean's English instructions and began to calmly and quietly try to gain Dante's attention.

"Dante.. Dante?" She said, barely grazing the hair on the top of his head with her hand, being sure to keep her own head out of headbutting range and fighting back against the feelings of fear and anger with her own feelings of affection and calmness. The more she tried, the more she became frustrated when these things did not work.

"DANTE." Lilith finally barked, placing her hands on the sides of his face but then quickly reversing the action as Dante made a motion to bite her.

"Dante please, look at me," Lilith restarted after a large sigh in the most gentle voice she could muster despite her frustration, "Please just let this happen. Everything will be okay and I will take care of you. I promise. WE promise. Nobody in this room is going to let anything happen to you. I'll be right here waiting for you when we wake up. All of us will. Please just calm down."

• Love
At feeling her hands on either side of his Dante quickly moved to bite her, his teeth roughly nipping her hand before she pulled back. However, his limbs were starting to sag and his breathing was beginning to slow as he listened to her and Trevean, eyelids drooping. Clara visibly relaxed as well, having shot out to try to stop Lilith from touching him.
"Okay, well-- he's out, so I'm going to take him into surgery. You all need to wait in the waiting room, but I'll come get you when I've got him in a room. Just as a heads up, he'll be restrained and might be like that when he wakes up, so be ready for that. He'll need about a week to recover, but it'll be a good one. I've done a lot of these surgeries. He'll be fine."

Clara showed them out into the waiting room where various people sat, all of them wild-eyed and skittish, all visibly injured in some way. The nurse at the desk narrowed her eyes at them, but told another nurse in passing that Clara had sent them out, so there was no need in making them wait outside. Nadia reached over and held Lilith's hand tightly, looking pale and worried herself.

Meanwhile, after being told he couldn't loiter in the hall or sit in the waiting room unless he was a patient, Kaden found himself shuffled outside into the back alley where a street lamp flickered overhead. In the shadows, however, kaden heard a rustling and suddenly a teenaged, redheaded girl appeared, holding a plastic baggie full of ice and stumbling. Her face was a mass of welts and bruises, and her thin body trembled.

"G-get out of my way!" She growled at Kaden. "Go away!"

• Love
"Woah, hey kid, you need help?" Kaden started. She looked like she was about to keel over never mind her actual injuries. He unconsciously took a step forward even as all Dante's warnings flashed through his mind. One step. That was it. And then he stopped.

She flinched away, her chest beginning to heave with short, rapid breaths as her large, brown eyes raked over him.

"Stay the fuck away!" She shouted,glancing behind her and then back at him with obvious skittishness. Blood was leaking through the makeshift bandages on her hand.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, kid," Kaden started putting his hands up defensively and backing away. The problem was he was putting himself between her and the door without realising it. "Just thought I'd offer help if you needed it--"

Her eyes flashed to the door, some of her red hair falling into her face as she began to nearly hyperventilate, calculating the distance between him and the door, his strength, and her speed. Without another moment of hesitation she launched herself at him, a knife appearing from the baggy hoodie sleeves pushed futilely up her thin arm. Her strike with the knife was surgical and precise, the only thing she'd underestimated was his speed in moving away from her; if he had not, his carotid artery would have been severed deeply.

Kaden pivoted and slapped her hand aside as she charged him. Eyes wide he watched her warily. He had not expected an attack and that was clear from the expression on his face. "Hey, if you don't want help you don't want help. I'm not gonna force you or anything. I just offered!" There was a slightly alarmed panic in his voice as he spoke and stepped back again, this time trying to leave her a path to the door.

His words fell on deaf ears. When he'd slapped her hand aside she'd lost her knife, it skittering off into the shadows and she looked terrified, staring up at him with utter fear. It was clearly not registering that he was trying to help, and it no longer seemed to matter if he had left the route to the door open; in her training, he'd established himself as a threat and her heart was beating in her throat. Everything was fuzzy around the edges and and electric-sharp in the middle, Kaden standing out in sharp relief to his environment.

Yet the contrast wasn't enough to keep her from seeing a length of discarded PVC pipe and aiming for his windpipe, hoping to jab him hard enough with it to collapse his windpipe.

"Crap, Kid, I said I'd back off!" kaden snapped as he jerked back instinctively from the blow, the pipe sliding along his cheekbone as he bend to avoid it. Every sense of his was kicking in, self preservation mode taking over. Dante was right, this place was insane, for a kid to fight like this… and he recognised that look in her eyes. "You're snapping aren't you…" he hissed sidestepping her next jab. And he could feel his own danger, the battling instincts trying to come into play. If he wasn't careful…

Another piece of pipe lay close at hand and he managed to get his toes under and kick it up to his hand just in time to use it to block her next attempt. "Listen kid, I'm not trying to attack you!"

"Fucking cocksucker," she yelled and clashed helplessly against the other pipe, eyes wild and without a spark of anything other than blind panic. However, she quickly knew she wasn't going to wrestle the pipe away from him and when she railed against it for the second time she used the closeness to jam her knee between his legs, hopping backwards to get out of his reach again

Kaden let out a gasping groan as her knee struck him and just barely managed to keep his own knees from buckling. He had a feeling that he he gave her such an opening she might decide to kill him. With a slight whimper he let himself stagger back out of range keeping his eyes on her the whole time.

"Seriously kid, the doors wide open…" he had to clear his head, had to get out of this...If this girl didn't kill him the boss lady probably would

Meanwhile Trevean had settled in with Shola to go over the earrings and pick out several pairs together to keep. It took him a few moments to notice the missing member of their party but when he did he was quick to ask if anyone knew where Kaden had gotten off to.

"I'll go look for him," Nadia offered. Trevean and Shola looked busy, and Lilith likely wouldn't want to leave in case there was news of Dante. Piper herself was busy trying to distract Lilith with a card game. Nadia slipped off and headed back to the door where they'd entered, heading back into the alleyway. As the door opened the girl jerked her head up in panic, but when Kaden looked too she seized a loose brick on top of the dumpster and lashed out at him, striking him hard across the temple with it. When he went down Nadia stared, horrified, and then ran down to put herself between the girl and Kaden, grabbing the fallen PVC pipe.

The redhead wobbled and seemed to decide she couldn't last another fight, her adrenaline wearing off and the pain and blood loss setting in. Instead she backed away and was around the corner before Nadia could get close. Quickly she knelt to check Kaden's pulse and then hurried inside, rushing past Trevean and Shola to grab a nurse, gasping out that Kaden was unconscious in the alley.

It had been so stupid of him, Kaden thought as he slowly lost consciousness, To drop his attention for a moment to Nadia. He'd given the kid the opening she needed. He only hoped Nadia wouldn't have to fight. Odds were she'd never survive it… from the feel of the pain in his head he might not either…. a moment later everything went black.

Trevean stood to follow when his ears picked up what Nadiia was was saying but he was delayed by a sudden coughing fit which he quickly tried to hide. The air in this place was awful. By the time he made it outside he found the nurse and an orderly moving Kaden onto a stretcher. The young Daalai man seemed fine aside from the head wound and a scratch along one cheek. No doubt it was the head wound that was the problem. Trevean stood carefully aside, holding the door so they could bring him in, but instead of following he lingered, taking a moment to check on Nadia.

Shola had been quick to follow Trevean and put her hand over her mouth as they loaded him onto the stretcher, one of the nurses muttering that they'd have to page Clara and tell her. One of the nurses went to go find her and the others took him inside. Nadia watched them go, her face white and lips bloodless.

"It's my fault," she whispered. "I distracted him and she nailed him in the head with a brick. It's all my fault."

Trevean shared a brief look with Shola before turning and reaching for Nadia. "Come here, Finchling." It was a new term for her, but it was meant endearingly, made clear by the way he held her close. "It's not your fault. None of this is your fault."

She shook a little and he could feel her hands in tight knots as she clenched her shirt hem, knuckles pressing against him.

"I opened the door and it distracted him and she hit him-- is he going to be okay? He went down so hard--

"He will be fine, I'm sure," Shola soothed, touching the younger girl's back.

"Let's go back inside, all of us. I'll talk to Lilith about it and find out what Clara says about him."

She followed them back inside and watched as Nadia sat by Trevean, still tightly gripping and twisting her shirt hem.

• Love
Sitting in the waiting room full of sketchy and twitching individuals didn't exactly do much to ease Lilith's mind. She stared rather obviously over at the nurse that didn't seem to want them there, not looking away and preparing herself to argue had the wretched woman decided to try and kick them out. This was definitely not the time to be trying to remove the young werewolf from the lobby.

Fortunately, the nurse was notified that the group was there under Clara's orders, and Lilith smirked smugly at the woman before blinking slowly as she turned back towards the group. Meanwhile, Nadia had taken her hand to squeeze, and Lilith squeezed Nadia's in return, trying to not let the worry come across in the expression on her face. A while later Piper suggested a game of cards, and Lilith reluctantly agreed to play at first. Eventually, the young Daalai girl became so engrossed in the card game that she had missed Nadia leaving to look for Kaden entirely. She almost completely missed when Nadia came to get the nurse for Kaden moments later.

"Wait, what?" Lilith said, turning her head at Nadia's words. One of the other attendants in the lobby urged the werewolf to stay inside as others went to retrieve her brother. A hand flew to her mouth as the nurses carted Kaden by, and Lilith met Shola at the doorway.

"What happened?!" Lilith pleaded frantically, nodding every so often as Shola explained the situation. "Wait, what? A little girl did that? But how? Kaden's the size of a freaking barn!" Lilith again listened to Shola for a moment, but her eyes could not help but trail behind Shola and to Nadia and Trevean. After a few nearly-silent words more and nods toward the younger girl's direction, Lilith strode past Shola and knelt at Nadia's feet. She placed her hands on the girl's knees and smiled up at her.

"Please, don't blame yourself, Nadia. This world is strange to us all. You couldn't have known that any of this would happen. You know Kaden as well as I do, and I -know- he's got an especially hard head. Clara will get Kaden and Dante both fixed up and we will be able to see them in no time." She reached up, sweeping a piece of hair behind Nadia's ear.

"Whatt'ya say we play some cards until we hear something, okay? Nothing on that teee-veee box is entertaining anyway. Piper just taught me a fun game if you would like to play, as long as you promise not to beat my ass."

Lilith smiled at Trevean as she took Nadia's hand and led her over to the table where she and Piper had previously been playing. After sitting Nadia down, Lilith walked across the room to get a few snacks from a vending machine before returning to her seat and dropping them on the table.

"There. Now we have something to play with other than money. Though, truth be told, if this is the prize I might just let you guys win."

• Love
" Yeah, sure," Nadia replied quietly, sitting down at the card game with them as Shola went to the front desk. Over the loud humming of the light bulbs Nadia couldn't hear what Shola was saying, but the clerk shook her head and pointed back to the waiting room. Shola persisted and the woman looked more annoyed and said something with sharp frown, but the next thing Nadia heard was more clear:

"I would strongly recommend that you help me get answers from someone," came Shola's rough, authoritative growl reserved for interrogation and wildly disobedient soldiers. It seemed to do the trick and the woman peeled herself from the chair, ambling off into the back and huffing every step of the way. Shola leaned her elbows on the desk and waited until a thin, older man with greying temples and gold-rimmed, square glasses came up from with the clerk. They consulted briefly and quietly, and Shola thanked him before returning to the group.

"Kaden did suffer a severe concussion and they're making sure now that nothing was cracked-- they suspect not. He's under the care of the man I just spoke to, Wilkins, whom Clara apparently trusts. He's also informed me that Clara has called for someone to take us to her home as she will be staying over her regular shift to work on Dante. The clinic is 24 hours, but I think we all need some rest at the very least."

She turned slightly in the chair to face Lilith and Nadia.
"I know you both want to stay, but we can't risk leaving anyone alone until we understand this world better. We will be able to contact Clara using the phones Dante got us, and Wilkins said the man is named Alastair and will be here soon."

As they waited she Laced her fingers through Trevean's, squeezing his hand gently as she watched the card game. Nadia seemed to be losing by a wide margin with Piper managing to get most of the snacks. As they were beginning another round Clara came out from the back, elbow-length black gloves shiny with blood and a visor that seemed to be displaying vital signs also sightly streaked.

"Alastair's gonna be here soon, but I figured you'd all want to know that things are going well. Kaden's stable, no lasting damage, and Dante is too; they're prepping him for the next phase now. I've gotta go back, but-- well, things are going to be okay," she finished awkwardly, turning and heading back into the back before the others could pelt her with questions.

The waiting room had mostly emptied except for the hum of the fluorescent lights and the ticking of the analog clock on the wall. Piper had fallen asleep in her chair and Nadia was standing by Lilith, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. Eventually a man in his late twenties or early thirties came in wearing dark jeans and a light brown leather jacket. He had auburn hair that fell around his face and slate blue eyes that immediately swept the clinic, although neither his face nor posture showed overt alertness.

"Clara sent me after you all," he said to them, waving slightly. "I'm Alastair."

As he approached, Trevean could see the telltale small motions and disturbances of the fit of the jacket that said clearly he had at least one gun concealed under it.

"Thank you for lodging us," Shola said and stood, offering her hand to him. He shook it very briefly with a polite nod and led them outside, explaining that Clara's apartment was only a few blocks from the clinic so they could walk the route in case they needed to get back while he was at work. As they walked they could see that the sky seemed to be struggling with smothering the sunlight of dawn, sidewalks only a little less grey in the changing light overhead. Neon still spilled out from various shop signs along the way, and as they passed by a particuarly large one with a green sign that read "StopMart" Alastair paused and explained to them that it had basic ready-to-eat food items, snacks, toiletries, supplies like paper towels and plates, tampons, alcohol, basic medical supplies, and assorted meds.

"Clara stops there a lot for the sushi," he said reflectively. "Unless anyone needs anything right now, I really need to get you all set up at the apartment so I can go back to work; I'm on my lunch break."

Clara's apartment building was olive-drab and so tall it hurt to try to hunt for the roof of it. Alastair led them into the main lobby where there was an empty, battered reception desk in front of what looked like a room where parcels were received. To the left was a door that had "laundry" printed on it and farther left still there was a room labeled "Gym." Alastair led them to one of seven elevators and pressed the call button, herding them inside and selecting a button with the number 22 on it. The ride seemed to take forever, the elevator shuddering every now and then and the lights buzzing like a swarm of bees. When they could finally get out Alastair led them to a door with "2208" on the front in brass letters (of which the "0" had been lost) and unlocked it, letting them go in ahead of him.

They entered into a modest living room with an adjoining kitchen that used the island counter to both delineate between the two rooms and to function as a counter-height table with two barstools. Behind the couch was a door that led into a bedroom dimly lit by the glow of the street, which also revealed the door to the bathroom.

"I've gotta go back," he said apologetically. "But I'll write my phone number on the fridge and once I get off shift I'll come back. Nobody ought to be coming except me or Clara, so... Yeah. See you all later."

He gave them a brief nod before writing his phone number on the whiteboard attached to the fridge and leaving. Shola surveyed their sleeping arrangements, frowning.
"Trevean, it may work if you take the couch and Nadia, Lilith, and Piper take the bed-- you're all three travel-sized so it should work out well. I'm not sure when I'll sleep, so I'll figure it out for myself when the time comes."

• Love
Kaden at first felt like he was watching everything from high above. The paramedics placing him on the streaker and then wheeling in side. He felt nothing and had a hard time registering anything and then there was nothing. his awareness was gone.

Trevean follower they others and the new auburn haired man to Clara's apartment. He tried to hang back and hide the fact that he was developing a bit of a a cough. When Shola because setting up sleeping arrangements he studied the couch in question.
"if you want to sleep in shift wake me for my turn and I'll trade you," he offered as the girls went to the other room. "Or we might be able to get both of us there... maybe if we take the back pillows off."

When Kaden woke he was foggy, but he was sure he was in one of the hospital room. a familiar grunt sounded beside him and when he turned his head Kaden could barely make out Dante.

• Love
As hard as Lilith attempted to focus on the card game, the majority of her attention was still directed towards the door to the back where Clara was currently working on Dante and where her brother was now being held. It became obvious to Lilith when Piper began to win most of the games that Nadia was likely just as worried.

When Clara came to give them an update, Lilith was a combination of relieved and slightly queasy at the sight of what she could only assume was Dante's blood on her hands. The young werewolf momentarily turned pale, recovering completely only after Clara had returned to finish her job. When Alastair arrived, Lilith reluctantly followed the group out of the hospital, taking one last look at the door leading to surgery as she did so. The walk to the apartment proved to be just as dreary as the walk from the bus stop.

Clara's apartment was small, but in Lilith's mind entirely doable as she compared it to her small cabin outside of the city gates back home. Having not been able to eat any kind of real meat the entire time, Lilith was beginning to notice her energy level quickly going down. She put up no argument when Shola instructed them as to where to sleep, and with a nod Lilith turned and headed into the bedroom where she snuggled under the covers on the very edge of the bed. For a while she watched out the window, clutching one of the pillows to her chest until she eventually drifted off to sleep.

• Love
"Sleep all you need to," Shola said, idly running her fingers through his hair as she passed by the side of the couch to go look out the window. She crossed her arms behind her back, one wrist wrapped in her other hand as she watched the traffic. Cars slid without hurry along the wet-shining roads and people bustled along the sidewalk. She saw someone get shot and shuffled into an alley by pedestrians not wanting the body to keep blocking traffic on the sidewalk. If it was morning, it was hard to look to the sky and tell; after an hour or so, she wandered over to the bedroom and saw Piper and Nadia sitting up against the headboard, reading Piper's enchanted book.
"You two need sleep," she said softly, not wanting to wake Lilith.
"You do too," Nadia whispered, and Shola smiled, making her way to the couch. She stroked Trevean's cheek to wake him gently and moved the back pillows of the couch to the floor.

"Make sure you tell me if I squish you, okay?" She murmured, stretching out with him on the couch and burying her face in the crook of his neck. She didn't sleep for most of the morning, but neither did she move much either, at least until there was the sound of a key in the lock of the door. Shola eased up and moved towards the door as it opened and Clara came in, yawning and looking exhausted.
"Glad you all found somewhere to sleep," she said, rubbing her eyes. She was wearing a loose tshirt with a red X on it and tattered jeans, along with battered tennis shoes.
"We did, thank you for putting us up," Shola said, looking over as the others filed out of the bedroom.
"Yeah, no problem. And both of your friends are in good condition. Resting, Dante will be coming out from under sedation soon and Kaden's going to come 'round any minute now. Dante's good and restrained too, so he's not going to be a danger to anyone-- or himself. I, um-- if you guys want to go back to the clinic--"

She dug into her pockets and handed Lilith a sleek, plastic black card.
"It's my credit card, so get some food from the Stopmart on the way over to the clinic, okay? You can go in through the back door like last time and someone should help you get to your people. I've gotta go to bed, I'm exhausted."

As she handed the card to Lilith, the Daalai woman could see a clear hand-shaped bruise around one of her wrists. She waved goodbye to them and locked the door behind them. Shola kept towards the back of the group as they made their way to the Stopmart and entered into the expansive, ruthlessly-lit convenience store.
"Let's get some food and head to the clinic," Shola said tiredly, squinting as she looked around at all the unfamiliar packaging.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Kura
Trevean held still and held Shola close as the hours passed. Being still helped and eventually he fell into a fitful sleep.
He woke when she did and though he loathed going back outside Trevean knew they had to in order to eat and get back to their two injured team members.

As they entered the store Trevean remembered what Dante had said about food in Cyberia.
"Find things that look appetizing, but read the ingredients first," he instructed them as he got a large cart. "Maybe stick to things we know are vegetables or vegetable based.." Trevean did not look at Lilith when he said that feeling fairly sure she'd be giving him a glare.

True to his word Trevean made his way to the fresh produce section as the others fanned out and picked out a large apple for Kaden, and thing of carrot sticks to share, and a pair of oranges for himself and Dante before carefully choosing a loaf of pre-sliced bread, a jar of peanut butter, and another of apricot jam.

On the way to meet the others he tossed in several bottles of sports drink that seemed safe, and a pack of seaweed crisps. When Shola returned she tossed in a thing of nuts, ground coffee, a granola bar, and a little packet of pickled carrots. Nadia appeared with chocolate almond milk, trail mix, and a bag of salt and vinegar chips. Soon after Piper added a bottle of energy soda and a bag of nacho chips to the cart.

"Should we get plates and forks too?" Trevean asked everyone and no one as they waited for Lilith to add her load.

• Love
Lilith took Clara's card and nodded, thanking her before being ushered out of the apartment with the rest of the group. The group made it to the store with no trouble, and as they walked in the door Lilith squinted in the bright lighting.

"Find things that look appetizing, but read the ingredients first," Trevean instructed them as he got a large cart. "Maybe stick to things we know are vegetables or vegetable based.."

Trevean had been correct in his thinking, and Lilith did shoot a small glare his way as he gave them instructions. With a heavy sigh, the young woman walked through the aisles, looking for anything that might look remotely appetizing. Her search came up bare, aside from a couple of bags of barbecue flavored chips and a bag of apples. Had she not known that the meat was made of anything BUT meat, she probably would have grabbed a few packages of jerky, but Lilith was honestly just afraid to look at the list of ingredients. Shuffling back to the cart, Lilith deposited her findings along with a few cans of soda.

"We can't get back home soon enough," Lilith grumbled, looking up at Trevean, "I need some kind of actual food soon."

• Love
Reactions: Midian and Falcon