[Samuel x Roman]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
m a t t h e w

Soon enough dinner was all completed, Elissa was dressed down but still stunning, and Will had joined them. The little boy was sweet and polite with his mum and Matthew felt very proud of him for that.

"A cat?" Matthew said, honestly a little surprised. Though he supposed most children wanted a pet around the house. Matthew had wanted one as well when he was younger, but his parents hadn't let him, "Having a pet is a big responsibility, you can't just get one because James has one," Matthew told Will in a tone that he considered neutral but some might consider flat or dull, he didn't always speak that way to his son, he loved him so much and would frequently be more expressive, but neutral was still what he naturally fell into when just having conversations.

"But if you really want one and think you can care for it I suppose..." He glanced over at Elissa to finish the sentence if she did approve. They both loved cats, who didn't really? But when a kid as young as Will wanted a pet it meant the parents would have to care for it mostly, and while Matthew felt he could do that if it would make their little boy happy. So as long as Elissa wouldn't find it stressful he wouldn't mind getting a cat for Will. Some would probably say that was spoiling him but Matthew saw no reason not let Will have things that made him Happy. He understood that you couldn't just hand kids thing whatever and expect them to later have a grip on things like spending, but Will was only four and he didn't get everything he pointed out. A cat could be a companion and friend, plus something that taught the boy some responsibility so it wasn't that bad of an idea.

e l i s s a
"Well, personally, I would love to get a cat," Elissa said with a sweet smile, and Will lit up with joy. She was well aware that it was a little ridiculous to get such a small boy his very own pet, because she knew he wasn't going to take care of it and that she and Matthew would most likely be doing most of the work. But she didn't mind, because she wanted her son to be happy, and most households had a pet. Also, she wouldn't mind getting a cat either. Cats were adorable.

"Yay! When can we get one?"
Will asked, his voice sweet as sugar.

"Hmm ... well, if you're a good boy we might be able to go to a pet shop and get one on Sunday,"
Elissa told him. That was very soon, almost soon enough for it to be a spontaneous decision, but she didn't really see any point in waiting. They were more than wealthy enough to be able to afford a cat and everything one required and between the two of them they had the time to take care of it. So, she didn't think it was a big deal.

However, she did look over Will at her husband. "If that's okay with Daddy, of course."

m a t t h e w

It was quite the impulsive decision to just get a cat just like that, it would probably be smarter for them to wait a week or so to see if will still wanted the cat, but now that it was mentioned Matthew could kind of see their little family having one, and Elissa certainly wasn't opposed to the idea. And Will would be happy and that was the main thing.

"Sunday it is then," he said with a small smile.

They ate their dinner, discussing what kind of cat Will wanted to get, and a little bit about what was going on at daycare and what video games the little boy had been playing. Once they were all done Will got some more screen time and Matthew showed Elissa his writing, using her help to guide Addie and Mei through the scene. He trusted her opinion on his characters actions, because he felt like she knew them almost as well as he did. Eventually it was time to put Will to bed, he was only four which meant early bed time, though it was Friday so they had let him sit up a little later.

"Will, it's time to put down you games and go to bed," Matthew said, as he let out a yawn, despite not being very tired, and closed his own laptop to make a point.

e l i s s a
"Aww, but I've almost finished the level!" Will complained. "Can't I just finish it?"

"Will, remember what we said about the kitty?"
Elissa inquired with a raised eyebrow. "You have to be good or we can't get the kitty."

As much as she loved spoiling her son she knew she had to draw the line somewhere. Will had to have boundaries, he had to be told no every now and then, or he would grow up to be an entitled brat. Elissa felt that she and Matthew both needed to know where to draw that line. They hadn't had any major problems yet, but still, it was important to maintain stability in their parenting.

Will's eyes widened and he immediately got up, turned off his game and put it away in the drawer in the coffee table where it belonged. Then he turned around and scurried up the stairs. Elissa chuckled and stood up, taking her husband's hand. "Come on."

Will got into his pyjamas and brushed his teeth himself, then went and climbed into his large and comfortable bed in his spacious bedroom. It was decorated with his favourite things -- the little boy loved fantasy, so he had models of his favourite video games on several shelves and had a few posters of dragons on the walls. His favourite teddy was actually a plush dragon and currently he was hugging it as he waited for his parents to come say goodnight.

Elissa read him a quick story then tucked him in and pressed a kiss to his forehead. "Goodnight, sweetie, I love you a lot," she said gently.

"Goodnight, Mummy, I love you too,"
Will said sweetly. Then he looked over at his dad. "I love you Daddy."

m a t t h e w

Matthew couldn't help but smile when William told both his mum and him that he loved them. It was one of those things that actually never failed to make him smile, and if someone ever claimed he was incapable of doing it they had clearly never seen him around his wife and son.

"I love you too William," Matthew said softly and leaned down to kis the little boy's forehead, "We'll be downstairs if you need us, but you sleep well okay?"

He ran his fingers through Will's hair, made sure he was all tucked in and then he and Elissa turned of the lights and left their son to sleep. They ventured back down the stairs, Matthew took Elissa's hand as they did and then back into the kitchen where Matthew found that bottle of wine he had mentioned before. He got out their nice wine glasses and poured up a glass each for them before putting the bottle away. They weren't drinking to get dizzy, just to celebrate that Elissa had a couple of days to relax before her next case.

Matthew handed Elissa her glass and held up his own a little, "To a successful wrapping of your case, you having some time off and a getting a cat, apparently?"

e l i s s a
Elissa chuckled and clinked her glass against Matthew's. "To all of the above."

She sipped her wine and savoured the delicious taste. She wasn't a big drinker but she had always loved wine. Taking her husband's hand, she lead him up to their bedroom and sat down on her side, placing her glass on the bedside table. She fixed the pillows so they could sit up, sat Matthew down and then leaned against his chest with her legs across his lap. She felt so warm and cosy in his arms. He wasn't very muscly, nor was his chest that wide, but she was small so she fit perfectly in his embrace.

"I'm also glad that I won't have to work with Brooklyn for a while,"
she said, then she realised how that sounded. "Like don't get me wrong, he's a really nice guy and we work well together, and he made the whole case bearable while it was so atrocious. But one of our co-workers heard us talking about Evan's birthday party a couple of weeks ago so she just assumed we went together? So rumours have started circulating that we're seeing each other."

Elissa scowled. The whole thing was infuriating to her. Both she and Brooklyn were happily married with children and they had no interest in each other. But no matter how much they told their co-workers this, they just didn't seem to get it.

"Ugh, it makes me want to pull my hair out. But hopefully we'll have a few individual cases between now and whenever we work together next, so people will just forget about it."

m a t t h e w

Matthew's slight smile disappeared when Elissa casually told him what had been going on at work during this case. Not because he was jealous or something like that. Or believed it to be true. He was in fact, very confident in Elissa's, and his own, obviously, faithfulness. Elissa wasn't the type of person to hook up with a coworker, she was a nice and lovely person and if she decided she didn't love him, Matthew knew she wouldn't start anything before they were broken up. But they did love each other so it was all okay.

Matthew still frowned though, subtly, Elissa would probably be able to pick it up though. He didn't really like that people would just assume that his wife was seeing someone like that and it kind of made it worse that it was Brooklyn. Roman's brother. Because somehow Roman always seemed to get in the way of things. He knew he didn't really, he was just an important part of their friend group and at this point Matthew had little problems with the other man. And this especially didn't technically have anything to do with Roman, but still.

"Oh, yeah that sounds frustrating, and kind of disrespectful actually, don't they know you're both married with children?" he said, possibly sounding a little annoyed, but not towards Elissa, but about her co-workers spreading rumours.

e l i s s a
"Of course they know, I have two pictures of you and Will on my desk and Brooklyn has quite a few of Chelsea and their kids," Elissa said with frustration that was not directed towards her husband, but rather towards her co-workers. She just hated this whole situation. Why couldn't they just accept that nothing was going on between her and Brooklyn?

"Though to be honest, I think the fact that Brooklyn is actively hiding the rumours from Chelsea is making it look a lot more shady than it actually is,"
Elissa told her husband. "Like, I asked him if she knew what was going on today, since I was planning to let you know, and he said he doesn't want to worry her. But once she came into work when he was working with me and he just sort of immediately took her away? Which made it look like he wanted to keep her away from me when really he just didn't want her to hear people talking about it."

Elissa sighed and snuggled close to her husband. "But you know I'd never do anything like that, right?"

m a t t h e w

Matthew was seriously annoyed at Brooklyn for acting so stupid, but he didn't let it out because there was no point. He was still learning but he was getting better at choosing his battles. Brooklyn not telling Chelsea was their problem. It was annoying that it affected Elissa but there wasn't much he could do about it, at least not now.

He placed his glass to the side so he could cup Elissa's face, he pushed some of her gorgeous golden har from her face, leaned in to softly kiss her lips and said, "Of course I know you wouldn't, you're a good person and I trust you, I wouldn't ever be able to even think you could do something like that."

He wasn't entirely sure about Brooklyn though, he didn't know him all that well, but had heard from Samuel that in the past he had been quite terrible, but gotten better. He didn't know if Brooklyn was the kind of guy who'd make a move on someone else's wife while married himself. But even if he did, Matthew knew in his heart Elissa wouldn't like that. It didn't matter than Brooklyn was a lot of things Matthew wasn't like charismatic and tall, and just able to express emotions in more contexts he supposed. Matthew knew Elissa loved him and he didn't feel self conscious about those things when with Elissa. There was one thing that popped up into Matthew's head though, and that was that if Brooklyn did make a move on Elissa, it'd probably be partially because he was attracted to her. Matthew was too of course, but in a very different way. Not in a sexual way because that just wasn't his thing. That he did feel self-conscious about even when Elissa sometime. But he promptly decided to try not to compare himself to Brooklyn in regards to that right now.

"And i honestly think it's kind of disrespectful of your co-workers to think you would do something like that,"

e l i s s a
Matthew's sweet kiss melted Elissa to the very core and all irritation she was feeling melted away. She snuggled close to his chest and closed her eyes for a moment, savouring it as her husband said those lovely things about her. God, she adored him. She understood why some people considered him to be impassive, but now, in moments like these, it was almost impossible not to see the raw emotion he felt.

"Yeah, I know it is, but I guess I can't say they know me that well and everyone likes to gossip so I can't say I don't understand why they're doing it."
Elissa sighed a little, but regardless, she sat up, picked up her glass, finished its contents and got up to push the blankets back so they could get ready for bed.

"But enough about work drama, I don't want to think about work ever again, or at least until Monday. Do you wanna finish that documentary on the Martin Guerre case?"
A famous legal case that had taken place in medieval France in which a man called Arnaud du Tilh had impersonated Martin Guerre for seven years. It was very interesting and a much less gory legal case that Elissa would like to focus on.

m a t t h e w

Matthew let out a soft chuckle, "Only you would get some time off your legal work to watch a documentary about legal work," he said as he wrapped he wrapped his arms around her and turned on the TV they had in the room, "but yes I would love to finish it,"

He found the documentary and picked up where they had left off last time they had watched it. It was such a good combination of subjects for a documentary, legal issues and history, just what they both were interested in. He snuggled a little closer and kissed his wife's cheek again as the movie started to play.

Even so he couldn't completely push the Brooklyn thing out of his head. He didn't doubt Elissa's faithfulness of course, and it wasn't even really about Brooklyn at all, but his own incapability of certain things. It had been a good couple of years since they last really talked about Matthew's asexuality on a serious level, they had their routines and ways of doing things so there was no real need to. But now that he was thinking about he realised that even if Elissa wasn't one to cheat and did love him, it was possible that she wanted more maybe. And allow here that was clearly an option, but Matthew wasn't sure if he was willing to share her. For now though, he tried to focus on the documentary, and reminded himself that since Elissa had the weekend somewhat stress free it was a good opportunity to maybe instigate something.

That thought made him be able to worry a little less. They watched the documentary and then they turned of the lights. Matthew held Elissa and told her he loved her and told her good night. The whole Brooklyn thing might have just been silly rumours, but it seemed like it had sparked some insecurities within him anyways. Hopefully both rumours and his thoughts would be forgotten soon enough.

l e t h a
"Letha, are you excited to see the duckies?"

"Duckies!"

"I thought so."

Letha was, very much so, excited to see the duckies. It was a slightly rainy day in May, but since there was only a mild drizzle, Letha's dads had decided to take the family down to the park to feed the ducks in the lake. Letha wore a pink raincoat, pink gumboots and several pairs of leggings under the sweet yellow dress she had insisted on wearing. Her hair had been tied into two cute pigtails, which were concealed by her hood so she didn't get wet. Her Daddy had told her when they had left that she looked very adorable indeed.

Now, they were walking down the path to the lake, with Daddy holding several bags of bread. Letha's hand was securely in Eden's. She liked walking with Eden because Stella and Harper liked to run around a lot and that often made her quite tired.

Letha spotted a cute speckled duck and and calmly tugged on her brother's hand to point it out to him. "Spotty duckie."

s a m u e l

"ooh it's so cute," Eden said happily but softly to his little sister, "can Letha and I feed the spotty duckie?"

"of course you may feed the duckie,"
Samuel said with a smile. Today they had decided to go out to a little duck pond to feed ducks. Eden had seen some in a book at school apparently so Samuel and Roman had made the decision to take their family to go see them to make Eden, as well as the other kids happy. Letha had seemed immensely excited about it as well, and Stella and Harper thought it was a good idea too. Few children would say no to feeding ducks.

Samuel took some bread out of the bag Roman was holding, he tore a slice in two and handed one half each to Eden and Letha. He'd give Harper and Stella some in a moment but they had fallen a bit behind as they had discovered a puddle of water. Samuel wasn't going to stop them from running through it since they were out to have fun despite the rain, they could change into warm clothes when they got home.

"You have to tear the bread up to tiny pieces so the duckies won't choke, do you think you can do that?" Samuel told the two youngest kids. Eden nodded and tore of a smaller piece of the bread, "Like this?" he asked and showed both Samuel and Letha so his little sister would hav an example to follow.

"yeah just like that, can you do that too Letha?"

l e t h a
"Uh-huh!" Letha said with an affirmative nod. To demonstrate she tore a piece of bread off and showed it to the others. "Like this?"

"Yes, exactly like that!"
Daddy said in affirmation. "Good job, sweetie."

Letha beamed, then lead her brother over to a spot close to the spotty duckie, but not so close it got scared and ran away. It didn't seem to notice them, so she gently tossed the smaller chunk of bread, throwing it so it landed just beside the duckie's feet. It peered at the bread curiously, then swooped in and nabbed it with his beak.

Letha giggled and threw some bread to some more ducks. "What would you do if you were a duckie?" she asked her brother Edie as they fed the cute birds. As she did so, Daddy gave some bread to the two older kids, then pulled Papa close so they could stand together as they often did, with Daddy's arms around Papa's shoulders from behind and his chin leaning on his head.

s a m u e l

"mmm..."
Eden gave it some serious thought, it didn't seem to matter to him that the question was a little silly, "Well I'd eat bread and seaweed all day, and huddle up with my duckie friends when it was rainy and cold and I'd fly to cool places,"

A bit away Stella hurried up to some of the ducks a little too fast and they scurried of with som distressed quacks, luckily it wasn't th ducks Eden and Letha was tending to so they wouldn't be disappointed.

"Stella you need to be calm or you'll scare them," Samuel called out to his eldest daugther, she confirmed with a nod and then proceeded to be a little calmer with the ducks. Samuel sighed and leaned back a little in his husband's arms. Days like these were absolutely perfect, it didn't matter that it was raining a little but the kids were having fun and that is what mattered.

l e t h a
"That sounds fun," Letha murmured, so as to not scare the brown duckie that had approached her feet. "If I was a duckie I would swim all day and I'd go and make friends with nice kids and I'd have really pretty feathers."

Letha was a very happy child. She always saw the best things in the world and in people. Even if someone wronged her she tended to forgive them right away, despite their daddy saying that that wasn't the best idea. He said you shouldn't forgive people unless they deserved forgiveness, but Letha didn't think like that. She saw everyone in a positive light, no matter the circumstances.

A little way away, Harper ran up to their dads with a sleek green feather in his hand. "Look at this! It's all green and shiny, what kind of bird does it come from?"

s a m u e l

"Ooh that's one pretty feather,"
Samuel said with a smile, he held his hand out so he could take it and pretend to inspect it, but in reality, he mostly just didn't want the kids playing or trying to find any feather since it could be pretty unhygienic, and kids didn't think about not touching their face after handling wild animals, "Hmm, I'm not sure where it's from though, maybe a Mallard?" he still said because he didn't want to dissapoint Harper either, they were just having fun.

"Mallard?" Stella, who had sneaked up behind her brother to curiously see what was going on.

"The duckies with the green heads," Samuel explained, "We can look it up when we get home if you want? But don't pick up any more feathers, okay? They can have bacteria on them, that goes for Eden and Letha too!" he added a little louder so they would hear

"Okay!" Eden confirmed and then repeated to his younger sister, "We can't pick up any feathers, okay? just look at them, but that's okay cus they are pretty,"

l e t h a
Letha nodded when Eden repeated Papa's instructions. She didn't want to do the wrong thing and disappoint her parents. Letha loved it when they were happy with her and did not like being in trouble at all. It made her very upset when her parents were not happy with her because she liked it when the whole house was happy and no one was being punished for doing something wrong.

Letha soon threw her last chunk of bread away to a nearby duckie and found that she had run out. She frowned but right away turned to go to her parents and get a new slice of bread. But since it was rainy the lakeside was a little muddy, and Letha promptly fell over, landing on the dirty ground. She scraped her hand, got mud on her face and her raincoat was now very dirty.

Of course, being the little girl she was, Letha began to cry. She hadn't meant to do so but she couldn't help it because she was surprised and didn't know what else to do with that emotion. She didn't get up, nor did she move, she just laid in the same spot on the ground and quietly cried, completely shocked and void of any ideas of how to deal with the situation.

s a m u e l

"Letha!" Eden burst out suddenly and Samuel turned just in time to see Letha slip on the muddy ground and start to cry. Samuel, of course, got nervous something bad had happened and both he and Roman were fast to hurry over but Eden was quicker since he was closer. He let go of his bread completely to reach out and help Letha back up on her feet again. He used his hand to try to wipe some of the mud of her face, though he mostly just smeared it, and then he pulled her into a hug.

Samuel decided then to stand back a little just to let it play out, it was very good that the siblings were so eager to help each other out and comfort each other, so Eden could comfort her for a little while longer before they stepped in.

"It's okay Letha, it was only a little fall, it will stop hurting in a moment," Eden said very softly and then pulled back from the hug to give Letha a small kiss on her cheek as Samuel and Roman so often did with the kids when they were sad.

Samuel now stepped closer and crouch down. He put a hand on Letha's back and rubbed it gently, but didn't carry her off from her brother because he was doing such a good job, "Hey sweetie, did you fall? Can you show me where it hurts?"

l e t h a
It wasn't long before Eden came over to help Letha to her feet. Little Letha stood up and continued to sniffle a bit, but she stopped crying soon after her brother assisted her and melted into his hug. It felt nice to know that Eden cared about her and wanted to help her when she was hurt or upset. It made her feel safe and protected.

Letha held out her hand to her parents when Papa asked where she was hurt. There was a faint scrape on her palm but nothing more. "Aww, sweetie, it's okay, it'll get better before you even know it," Daddy assured her, wiping her palm off with the sleeve of his raincoat and kissing it better.

Daddy then looked up at Edie with a smile. "Eden, you're a very good brother, aren't you? Taking care of your sister. I'm sure Letha loves it very much."

Letha nodded. "I do. Thank you Edie."