Same Sex Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite comment was from my friend who lives in the south:

"I checked my Facebook newsfeed and it looked like the Confederates were waging a war with the gay community."

obama-gay-unicorn.jpg

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I guess Im late for the party (really late) but YAY! This is a great win for America! And the religious people that say its unethical, wrong and stuff: 70 years ago, it was the same stuff said for africain-americans. So I hope when Im an old grandfather, I can see gay-marriage just called marriage and easily seeing my grandkids grow up in a better society.

Now, when is Civil War: part deux that every priest and their nun is talking about starting?

I guess Im late for the party (really late) but YAY! This is a great win for America! And the religious people that say its unethical, wrong and stuff: 70 years ago, it was the same stuff said for africain-americans. So I hope when Im an old grandfather, I can see gay-marriage just called marriage and easily seeing my grandkids grow up in a better society.

Now, when is Civil War: part deux that every priest and their nun is talking about starting?
Naa the Catholic's are gonna quietly let it go cause how many priests and nuns are secretly queer? Now the Protestants and Baptists...

Reactions: noahex
Okay, so umm...is it bad that I felt pretty indifferent to the news of gay marriage being widely approved in the US? My parents would probably smack me on the neck for this, but I just honestly...*shrugs*. When I heard about it, my family was all over it. Me? I was just all: "Oh." The way I see this matter, it is neither my problem nor my solution whether or not gay marriage should be ratified. However, it does kind of irritate me when someone rants about homosexual people and gay marriage, because their love life has nothing to do with them. John and Jerry is getting married, so that's why you're failing your classes? No correlation. Sabrina and Jenna decided to tie the knot, so you lost your job. What? One of my co-workers actually came up to me at some random time and started discussing the whole thing. And in my head, I was thinking: "Why did you not ask me if I cared first?"

Gay marriage is finally approved around America. That's quite a step we made. But the bottom line is this: though the marriage part is settled, the differences between LGBT and Homophobics/those who just don't approve is not over. And I bet my car keys that it will probably never be over. A person can never push their ideas on someone else and make them accept it. It's best to just shoot for an understanding instead to just agree to disagree.

At this point, I don't think I would even call myself neutral. I just don't...care. o.O
idgaf-funny-reaction-barack-obama-election-2012.gif
Yes, I care enough to post this, but...I was feeling expressive today.

Well...that's enough "deep-ness" for one day. *pops a Sprite can*

Last edited:
Naa the Catholic's are gonna quietly let it go cause how many priests and nuns are secretly queer? Now the Protestants and Baptists...

I'm personally protestant, born and raised in the churchhouse, where spent most of my days but I have alot of different views on stuff. But I read up on some conservative friend's facebook page that day and dayum, they needed to unrustle their jimmies. Im Canadian, so its been a decade since same sex marriage had been legal nation-wide. Its strange, how do people even come up with -really bad evil voice- We're going to deny people rights and call them savages for who cares! Mwahahaha! -bad voice over- and then, 3000 years later, people dont question why? I once asked a random guy why he was against LGBT then he said, the bible said so, I asked if he had another reason, he said he didnt need one.

the differences between LGBT and Homophobics/those who just don't approve is not over. And I bet my car keys that it will probably never be over.
I'll be taking your car keys then. I mean I'll be too old to drive by then, but maybe it'll have some resell value as an oldtimer?

These things can take generations, but the same argument could be made when we got rid of slavery. It didn't seem like anyone was ever going to accept it, but time made just that happen. Young minds are more impressionable to change than old ones. Sometimes old ideas just have to die along with the people, in order to allow new ones to be spread wider.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I'll be taking your car keys then. I mean I'll be too old to drive by then, but maybe it'll have some resell value as an oldtimer?

These things can take generations, but the same argument could be made when we got rid of slavery. It didn't seem like anyone was ever going to accept it, but time made just that happen. Young minds are more impressionable to change than old ones. Sometimes old ideas just have to die along with the people, in order to allow new ones to be spread wider.
True, young minds are more susceptible to suggestion and reasoning. I'm not saying that no one will accept it. A lot already have, but what I'M saying is that I doubt that the whole of the United States and its people are going to be holding hands on this whole thing. There can still be those occasional steadfast personalities that carry on their family's beliefs and try to teach it to their own. Like, for instance, I can tell you honestly that, in my family? This won't be wholly accepted anytime soon. But, I'm the black sheep, of course. I just think everyone should mind their own business and not worry about who someone else is with/marrying. That probably won't happen, but y'know, it's a good idea.

*sings* Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends? :bananaman::bsmile:

*sings* Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends? :bananaman::bsmile:
Because bob sincerely believes in X, and lucy sincerely believes in Y, and johnathan sincerely believes in Z, and when you put them all in the same room, they see differences instead of similarities. Humans sincerely feel a deep rooted desire to belong, and there are few places of belonging more powerful than ones founded on absolute faith.

The man who believes that homosexuality is a sin with absolute faith, cannot be wavered from his or her position, because you cannot convince this person who has spent years doing what they sincerely believe is absolutely right, to dare question it. Because the mere act of questioning it sets them upon a moral precipice they cannot turn back from, which according to their own beliefs leads to torture and damnation in equally eternal measures. When you have generations of people brought up to behave like this, it becomes very hard to break them away--because now you're attempting to convince an individual human to potentially not only lose group association to their faith, but to their own families who may sincerely worship this faith.

We can't be friends because the same intelligence that grants us the capacity for reason also orchestrated complicated social narratives on several levels that give us comfort and a sense of belonging. We're social animals, and social animals form packs. Wolves do it, dolphins do it, and humans are no exception. We'll always have conflict... All we can do is individually measure ourselves to be the best people we can possibly be, and part of that within my scope, is remaining eternally skeptical of any man or woman that proclaims at the top of their lungs that the voices in their head are divine... No matter how sincere their beliefs may be, or how good a person they may be in other aspects. Which, naturally, makes me enemies with fundamentalists. :ferret:

tl;dr: We're social animals and we form packs by nature. Of course the various packs competing for territory and resources find reason to hate each other when their ideologies become irrevocably separate.

Reactions: Darog
Status
Not open for further replies.