Same Sex Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a 5-4 decision, so all that may be required is the replacement of one of the 5 with a very socially conservative justice.

Also, there is plenty of precedent for the SCOTUS reversing previous decisions, so that wouldn't really present much of a barrier.
Ahem. when I said Precedent I meant about the current ruling. With marriage being a right for all people. EVEN IF they replace one of the 5 justices it would require a case to come up OR an amendment (amendments are a pain in the ass the pass). Now I don't really see a case coming up that could make them say "Okay, we were wrong" unless they either: A) made a legal definition that gets passed (however that works) that says marriage is one man and one woman, B) there is a separation between Religious marriage and legal marriage, or C) Something unexpected like an amendment saying marriage isn't a right or some federal law (which normally can't happen with marriage since it is usually a state thing though states must act within the constitution which is what this case was about). But that's just my opinion I guess. Either way it won't change for a while since religious arguments can't stand because of separation of church and state.

Welcome to the club, USA!
I'm so happy that this is happening, and that people are able to love and marry who they want. The only thing that truly saddens me is that so many Christians are calling for the end of the world, that our world is damned, that we must repent. I am a Christian and you know what I follow? "Love thy neighbor" and "treat others as you would like to be treated". I am a 100% for this movement, and I truly believe that this is going to make our world a better place. Decades from now, our grandchildren will read about this just as we read about the blacks having to sit at the back of the bus. They will laugh and say "we are all just people" - and I cannot wait for that day. Now, I am not gay, and yes I am Christian... yet, I believe that this is what God wants for us. To explore ourselves, to love each other. And even if you don't believe in God, or another God, I think that is something we can all stand upon. Love wins.

This is a wonderful day in history and I am so glad that I was here to experience it.

Ahem. when I said Precedent I meant about the current ruling. With marriage being a right for all people. EVEN IF they replace one of the 5 justices it would require a case to come up OR an amendment (amendments are a pain in the ass the pass). Now I don't really see a case coming up that could make them say "Okay, we were wrong" unless they either: A) made a legal definition that gets passed (however that works) that says marriage is one man and one woman, B) there is a separation between Religious marriage and legal marriage, or C) Something unexpected like an amendment saying marriage isn't a right or some federal law (which normally can't happen with marriage since it is usually a state thing though states must act within the constitution which is what this case was about). But that's just my opinion I guess. Either way it won't change for a while since religious arguments can't stand because of separation of church and state.
Actually, the most likely route they would take is D) Chief Justice John Roberts' dissenting opinion of the current ruling, that this goes against the constitution because deciding upon a definition of marriage and the workings of the institution thereof fall under the purview of states' rights and should be decided upon by the elected representatives of the people rather than a handful of appointed judges, becomes the majority opinion after a change in the SCOTUS lineup. States can pass legislation that goes against the Constitution, and so a very conservative state could easily pass a state-level statute banning gay marriage with the intent to get it pushed to the Supreme Court to get the decision overturned on the grounds of states' rights.

Precedent can be worked around if people are determined enough. The point of saying this and explaining how it could work is to point out that the fight for same-sex marriage is not over just because of this ruling. Better to be on guard against shitty people trying to ruin this than to just assume the story has ended happily ever after. :P

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
RAINBOWS EVERWURR!!
:rainbow::heartbeat::bride::bride::tophat::tophat::confetti:

Actually, the most likely route they would take is D) Chief Justice John Roberts' dissenting opinion of the current ruling, that this goes against the constitution because deciding upon a definition of marriage and the workings of the institution thereof fall under the purview of states' rights and should be decided upon by the elected representatives of the people rather than a handful of appointed judges, becomes the majority opinion after a change in the SCOTUS lineup. States can pass legislation that goes against the Constitution, and so a very conservative state could easily pass a state-level statute banning gay marriage with the intent to get it pushed to the Supreme Court to get the decision overturned on the grounds of states' rights.

Precedent can be worked around if people are determined enough. The point of saying this and explaining how it could work is to point out that the fight for same-sex marriage is not over just because of this ruling. Better to be on guard against shitty people trying to ruin this than to just assume the story has ended happily ever after. :P
Did I say it was over? No. I just said it's unlikely that it will be overturned by the president in the next election. That's all I'm saying. AND not to mention it's an opinion. So if you don't like my optimistic view that's cool. But there's no need to keep that going yeah? Either way, it's probably never going to be over that's just the way life is. But on average things like this aren't reversed right away. So there's at least a few years (which will easily cover the next election) that it SHOULD be safe. But again, that's all my opinion from my understanding of the law. Take it or leave it. :)

DAMMIT ASMO, STOP GIVING EVERYONE THE CREEPS! D: LEAVE GOD ALONE!

He loves it.

Wearing those low-cropped clouds. Primping His beard when He talks to me.

He knows what He is, that omniscient slut.

Did I say it was over? No. I just said it's unlikely that it will be overturned by the president in the next election. That's all I'm saying. AND not to mention it's an opinion. So if you don't like my optimistic view that's cool. But there's no need to keep that going yeah? Either way, it's probably never going to be over that's just the way life is. But on average things like this aren't reversed right away. So there's at least a few years (which will easily cover the next election) that it SHOULD be safe. But again, that's all my opinion from my understanding of the law. Take it or leave it. :)
Yeah, it's all good, I'm just a horrible pessimist. I'll drop the subject now. :P

Reactions: LunaValentine
Bah, seems like the Australia PM is still keeping the country from moving in this direction.

Okay, help me out people, I get the wallaby and the dingo, but kangaroo?

This is why I make out with God. Chicks don't get me.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I actually saw a pretty funny post on tumblr about this. It was mainly talking about the handful of people who feel agonized by the legalization of same sex marriage.

US: Same sex marriage is now legalized!
People: Nooo! We're moving to Canada.
Canada: It's been legal here for a while now..
People: We're moving to Mexico!
Mexico: Hate to break this to you bro..

That probably wasn't as funny as I thought it was...but hey! Same sex marriage is legal! Wooo! *throws balloons and party streamers*

If we want to discuss funny things that happened during/after this (also @themajesticqueen I ALREADY MADE THAT JOKE SO HAH I GOT THERE FIRST FINALLY I AM THE FIRST ONE TO MAKE A JOKE *ahem* what I didn't say anything)

There were a bunch of posts going around about so and so couple saying they would divorce if same-sex marriage became legal, about how so-and-so priest would SET HIMSELF ON FIRE if this came through and other such statements (and they say gays are melodramatic *eyes roll so hard they roll out of my head*) but now I just want to know whatever happened to that priest and couple. If they have the balls to keep to their promises (which let's admit it, promises made on facebook/wherever are never kept), I can only hope that the priest sets himself on fire in a nice, safe environment away from the eyes of delicate children.

• Bucket of Rainbows
If we want to discuss funny things that happened during/after this (also @themajesticqueen I ALREADY MADE THAT JOKE SO HAH I GOT THERE FIRST FINALLY I AM THE FIRST ONE TO MAKE A JOKE *ahem* what I didn't say anything)

There were a bunch of posts going around about so and so couple saying they would divorce if same-sex marriage became legal, about how so-and-so priest would SET HIMSELF ON FIRE if this came through and other such statements (and they say gays are melodramatic *eyes roll so hard they roll out of my head*) but now I just want to know whatever happened to that priest and couple. If they have the balls to keep to their promises (which let's admit it, promises made on facebook/wherever are never kept), I can only hope that the priest sets himself on fire in a nice, safe environment away from the eyes of delicate children.
Either the priest you're thinking of was actually a politician of some sort, or we're thinking of completely different people and I've never heard of the thing with the priest.

But there was definitely a politician who threatened to set himself on fire.

After the ruling, he said he "didn't actually mean that".

*shakes head* Full of shit.

As for the couple: I've heard of them, too, but I don't know what happened after the ruling.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Either the priest you're thinking of was actually a politician of some sort, or we're thinking of completely different people and I've never heard of the thing with the priest.

But there was definitely a politician who threatened to set himself on fire.

After the ruling, he said he "didn't actually mean that".

*shakes head* Full of shit.

As for the couple: I've heard of them, too, but I don't know what happened after the ruling.
Quite a few people said they'd set themselves on fire actually. That politician you're talking about and the Texas pastor I was talking about. That's like two more people saying they'd set themselves on fire than usual.

• Bucket of Rainbows

The couple most people have seen images of or have read about was a preacher (or some other church type head) in Australia. Unfortunately Australia did not get equal marriage. Hopefully sometime soon though.

I actually saw a pretty funny post on tumblr about this. It was mainly talking about the handful of people who feel agonized by the legalization of same sex marriage.

US: Same sex marriage is now legalized!
People: Nooo! We're moving to Canada.
Canada: It's been legal here for a while now..
People: We're moving to Mexico!
Mexico: Hate to break this to you bro..

That probably wasn't as funny as I thought it was...but hey! Same sex marriage is legal! Wooo! *throws balloons and party streamers*

Move to Columbia! With the help of our prophet, we will drown in flames the mountains or man! *twists mustache*

Status
Not open for further replies.