Same Sex Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great thing is everyone who doesn't support it say they're going to move to Canada or Mexico. Both of which have legalized same-sex marriage already (Canada for a decade or so and Mexico earlier this month) so...

HAH SUCKS TO BE THEM
I know a bunch of people say that as knee jerk reactions, but they never end up moving for a number of reasons, a large one being immigration ain't no small thang and they'd have to pass a citizenship exam that shows they know enough about the country they wish to move to. Considering the ones saying they want to move every time an unwanted national decision happens are the ones that are super ignorant of the rest of the world, it wouldn't surprise me if they honestly think moving to another country is as simple as driving up to customs, saying they wish to immigrate, and being handed a welcome package.

No, no, we don't need more Conservative voters, no, please no. Keep them, they're your problem.
If they move to Alberta, they'd probably vote for Wildrose, which would be fucking horrible for everyone.

Also, GG US of A, welcome to the club of nations who realized having church-influenced politics regarding what's morally right for its citizens wasn't a great idea. Eventually the bigots will start to give way to their hopefully more progressive-minded children and we can all start to move onto more productive things to fret over as a society, like if the president is a lizard person and if Keenu Reeves is a vampire.

I know a bunch of people say that as knee jerk reactions, but they never end up moving for a number of reasons, a large one being immigration ain't no small thang and they'd have to pass a citizenship exam that shows they know enough about the country they wish to move to. Considering the ones saying they want to move every time an unwanted national decision happens are the ones that are super ignorant of the rest of the world, it wouldn't surprise me if they honestly think moving to another country is as simple as driving up to customs, saying they wish to immigrate, and being handed a welcome package.

If they move to Alberta, they'd probably vote for Wildrose, which would be fucking horrible for everyone.

Also, GG US of A, welcome to the club of nations who realized having church-influenced politics regarding what's morally right for its citizens wasn't a great idea. Eventually the bigots will start to give way to their hopefully more progressive-minded children and we can all start to move onto more productive things to fret over as a society, like if the president is a lizard person and if Keenu Reeves is a vampire.
NOT RELEVENT! :D

27fd6aab175f150695e7fe2b4a0178e9.gif

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
we can all start to move onto more productive things to fret over as a society, like if the president is a lizard person and if Keenu Reeves is a vampire.

KEANU REEVES IS A VAMPIRE? O______O SUDDENLY HE MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE!

• Thank You
Reactions: Minibit
I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I'm super confuzzled. Help?

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I'm super confuzzled. Help?
The right to marriage for gay couples has been acknowledged as part of a Constitutional Right. This means that no law can be made on the State or Federal level to override the legality of gay marriage: It is considered a sacrosanct right. The only thing that can overturn this now is if the Supreme Court decides to change its mind later, which is unlikely to occur in this case.

So, basically, this is a super win. A ballpark, all bases loaded, home-run victory. Gay marriage is legal. Country-wide. There's nothing any homophobic state-level legislature can do about it, either. They have all been overruled by the highest court of the land.

This is a major victory. I propose we celebrate with copious amounts of sparkles, booze, one night stands, and immeasurable regrets the following morning. For now, gay couples all across the land can know of the wonders... Of a divource court. :ferret:

The right to marriage for gay couples has been acknowledged as part of a Constitutional Right. This means that no law can be made on the State or Federal level to override the legality of gay marriage: It is considered a sacrosanct right. The only thing that can overturn this now is if the Supreme Court decides to change its mind later, which is unlikely to occur in this case.

So, basically, this is a super win. A ballpark, all bases loaded, home-run victory. Gay marriage is legal. Country-wide. There's nothing any homophobic state-level legislature can do about it, either. They have all been overruled by the highest court of the land.

This is a major victory. I propose we celebrate with copious amounts of sparkles, booze, one night stands, and immeasurable regrets the following morning. For now, gay couples all across the land can know of the wonders... Of a divource court. :ferret:
Ah, I probably should have been tons more clear on what I meant (sometimes I forget to add in tidbits of information when it's almost midnight). -clears throat-

Point of Origin: Conservative Christian Family
Point of Concern: Spirituality
Point of Confusion: Sexuality

I come from a very conservative, Fox News-watching Christian family that believes LGBT everything is wrong. And, as a female, that means "HAHA no lesbianism for you!"
But...ya know...I'm super freaking attracted to women and sometimes men. Depends.
SO, now here's the lovely part: I would get kicked out my school but NOT my home ('cause my family, luckily, doesn't do that sort of thing). However, it would be a long and painful process of them trying to get me out of it, and so I'm basically terrified to even think about stepping into those boundaries.

So, inbred part of me wants to say: NO GAY MARRIAGE
Other part of me: Wait...so I could marry a woman finally?

Therefore, CONFUSION

Yes, yes you can. You tell that inbred part of you to stuff it. Don't let your preconceptions--or, worse, your family's preconceptions--hold you, and the rest of society, back. Maybe you can't jump out and explore yourself right this minute, you've still got to live with your family. However, when you move out on your own, don't let their baggage weigh you down.

Believe me. If you don't, believe millions of others in the LGBT movement. :ferret:

Ah, I probably should have been tons more clear on what I meant (sometimes I forget to add in tidbits of information when it's almost midnight). -clears throat-

Point of Origin: Conservative Christian Family
Point of Concern: Spirituality
Point of Confusion: Sexuality

I come from a very conservative, Fox News-watching Christian family that believes LGBT everything is wrong. And, as a female, that means "HAHA no lesbianism for you!"
But...ya know...I'm super freaking attracted to women and sometimes men. Depends.
SO, now here's the lovely part: I would get kicked out my school but NOT my home ('cause my family, luckily, doesn't do that sort of thing). However, it would be a long and painful process of them trying to get me out of it, and so I'm basically terrified to even think about stepping into those boundaries.

Therefore, CONFUSION
I think it's a pretty big win for somebody like you, it means that society can't stop you from really following what's in your heart. Wait until you're in your 20s, moved out, and able to support yourself and you'll find it doesn't matter a damn what your school, your family, or most places think; you're protected to marry whomever you damn well please. And it sounds like you're probably bisexual, and that can't be easy coming from a family like that, but keep your chin up; you won't have to feel guilty if you do meet some girl who really steals your heart.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I am so fucking happy right now.

I found out this morning after the closing ceremony of this week of camp, and I could barely restrain myself from dancing around in joy. I even did some cartwheels. Fucking cartwheels, man. Now I'm practically dancing in my chair, despite being totally exhausted.

Actually, since it was a Supreme Court decision there is little the president can do unless there are free spaces within the supreme court (which I'm sure there will be some but you can't remove them all, it's highly unlikely) so at least for a little while it will be safe in the next election. Besides, there's precedent now, there will be an argument that they cannot go back on the ruling.
It was a 5-4 decision, so all that may be required is the replacement of one of the 5 with a very socially conservative justice.

Also, there is plenty of precedent for the SCOTUS reversing previous decisions, so that wouldn't really present much of a barrier.

It was a 5-4 decision, so all that may be required is the replacement of one of the 5 with a very socially conservative justice.

Also, there is plenty of precedent for the SCOTUS reversing previous decisions, so that wouldn't really present much of a barrier.

What are they going to do? Have a nationwide recall of marriages?

"Okay, all the gay couples that married.... Uhhh... You can't do that anymore. You're officially divorced."

Even the staunchest Conservatives ought to acknowledge what a shit tsunami that would be. I honestly think we have gone past the point of no return, in a good way of course, and I don't see the justices pulling back their decision. The Supreme Court has been heading this direction for a while now.

You could grandfather old marriages, but forbid new ones.

And, I'd say there's no such thing as a truly settle issue/

What are they going to do? Have a nationwide recall of marriages?

"Okay, all the gay couples that married.... Uhhh... You can't do that anymore. You're officially divorced."

Even the staunchest Conservatives ought to acknowledge what a shit tsunami that would be. I honestly think we have gone past the point of no return, in a good way of course, and I don't see the justices pulling back their decision. The Supreme Court has been heading this direction for a while now.
It would be awkward, certainly, and you may be right about it being past the point of no return. I hope so myself, but you never know. If the country has a huge conservative swing (happens from time to time, general sentiments seem to be like a pendulum, back and forth between conservative and liberal sentiments prevailing), it's possible they'd be willing to take the risk. Or perhaps they'll simply abandon the fight against same-sex marriage and try to fight against or take away other rights. Maybe they'll give it up and retreat into fighting against transgender rights. No way to know how it'll go until it happens.

*sits in the corner, with his arm around God, making soft shushing noises as the deity sobs*

It's okay, bro. We'll get through this. We're gonna... get.... through... this....

*cradles God's face and lifts it up, wiping a tear softly from His cheek*

Your children still love you... they're just confused... I still.... I'm just conf....

*pulls God's lips to his, kissing roughly, tenderly... with all his pent-up desire...*

Mhmmm....

*feels God kissing back. Embraces, entwines his limbs, closes his eyes, and shudders*

Status
Not open for further replies.