Salt

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Muse
I'm not sure if you're done or not, but I'm going to stop you before you get too carried away.
1. Special skills cannot be extremely enhanced like yours are. So no 'ten times stronger'.
2. In the family section mention the parents anyway.
3. Your character is not explained very well at all, and he just seems like a deranged child. I am two seconds away from not accepting the 'he killed his parents thing' because it makes zero sense. Once again, explain it. And do not give a 'Joker' background. He can't just be crazy, there needs to be a reason.
...It's not a joke profile. There is a reason for why he is the way he is, but I don't want to reveal it. I will tune down the power. The blue-ringed octopus is really small, but it already carries enough venom to kill 26 grown men within minutes. So yeah, I over-killed it a little :)

Last edited:
Edited again. Tell me if anything else needs to be fixed.

The West Coast has five people including me, so my character is going to the East Coast since it only has two people.

@Polystical

I see that your first character, Anita, has a new specialty relating to the hammerhead shark. Because of that and the new pic for her tail, I assume her Mer form is now hammerhead but the species above still days Tiger shark. Just a little confused is all. Is that what you meant to do?

Also, I suggest putting a list in the first post for who's on the west coast and who's on the east so we can get a good number on each side

@Ravenbelle
Thanks for letting me know, and yes I was already planning to.
@Muse
I said Joker, like the Joker from Batman. You know he kills just to kill because he likes killing. And even if you don't want to reveal the characters bio to the thread, you need to reveal it to me. You also need to adhere to the character sheet rules.

@Whirlwind
@Ravenbelle
@Shadicmaster
@Muse

Mer skills can only work when the mer is in salt water. The range of their powers does not extend outside of the water. For example my character would not be able to see two areas at once in human form, because her eyes would not be able to distort and move to the sides of her face.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ravenbelle
@Whirlwind
@Ravenbelle
@Shadicmaster
@Muse

Mer skills can only work when the mer is in salt water. The range of their powers does not extend outside of the water. For example my character would not be able to see two areas at once in human form, because her eyes would not be able to distort and move to the sides of her face.
What about the ability to see memories and thoughts from other mers... only in merform?

What about the ability to see memories and thoughts from other mers... only in merform?
That will be the sole exception, thanks for asking!

• Thank You
Also @Polystical I have a question about the tails they're given. Do they appear involuntarily when they step in any salt water body of water or even a pool? Or can they keep it from appearing?

And does the type of tail affect their breathing underwater? Like the orca tail and the seal for example. Would Naji or Ana have to come up for air like their mammalian tail would suggest? As opposed to the fish like the sharks and cephalopods? Would the latter also have gills? If so, where?

@Ravenbelle
Good question, mer form is only initiated when one is fully submersed, or if the water is above their knee. So dangling legs in the water at the ankles or anywhere below the knee would give them the urge to just go all in and enter the water fully, but you wouldn't transform unless the water reached above the knee or if you entered the water completely.

Ah yess, the gills! Mammalian mers would have to come up for air at some point. But fishies like the sharks and well, fish, would be able to breathe underwater with their gills.

EDIT: And for the tails to appear they have to enter salt water.

Last edited:
and for that matter with sharks, is constant movement a necessity unless they are breathing from the surface?

Also the gill placement is up to you.

Mers are half human, so the 'swim or you die thing' can be nixed. And it's actually only some sharks who have to swim constantly.

@Shadicmaster
Maria is accepted by the way.

Okay! Announcement time!

1. Happy New Year!
2. We need more people for this role play. So tell your friends, tell your family! Tell everyone!!!
3. Oh and Muse dropped out

I will be sure to spread the word as soon as I get home from work, since I have to leave in about 30 minutes. And also, YAY! Maria!

Reactions: Mundane Monster
My apologies. As much as I like this idea, I still had a conflict in interest. Have fun with the RP everyone, and see you around :)

@Muse
Oh before you leave can you delete your cs post? I don't want to get confused later with roll calls and all. ^^

GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS
Name: Uriel Reed
Name Meaning: God is my Light
Ethnicity: Mediterranean/American
Species: Merman- Wahoo
Birthday (Month/Day): January 1st
Place of Birth: East Coast - Near Myrtle Beach, SC
Family: Wife – Annette Reed – deceased

Father – Caen Reed
Mother – Andrea Reed

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 175lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Grey
Distinguishing Marks: A few scattered scars
General Appearance: Uriel usually wears button up shirts and jeans, or slacks if he has to dress up for whatever reason. Around the house it's sweats or pajama pants. He tends to keep a beard but trimmed, and will sometimes let his hair get unruly though he tries to tame it now and again. He is fairly fit naturally, and hairy, with a tanned complexion.
Human appearance (Real pictures only)
2011_men_hairstyle-2012.jpg

Mer appearance (Fantasy pictures or anime)
silver_merman_by_reneenault-d7b7ug5.jpg

(Yes his hair changes to white in merform)
Strengths: Hand to hand combat, jogging long distances, climbing
Weaknesses: Quick sprints or anything quick actually, strength exercise that involves his back (it's not as strong as his arms or legs)

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS
Current Goal/Purpose: Understand what is happening to him/Find the people in his head
Aspirations: To be successful… whatever that means
Hobbies: Ping pong, foosball, tennis, writing, reading, watching tv
Likes: Watching movies, eating take out (especially pizza), kids/family, m&ms, being around other people
Dislikes: Going to bed sober and awake, gore, disrespect, comedy with lots of cursing, shaving
Talents: Able to turn a phrase very well when writing, charming, climbing a tree with few branches like a monkey
Inabilities: To do several sit ups, analyze himself, face the past
Fears: Insanity, not leaving his 'mark' in the world (something to be remembered for), disappointing someone he cares about
General Personality: On the surface, Uriel gives many small smirks and deep, bellowing laughs. He seems laidback and relaxed, brushing off most little things and being incredibly patient.
Inner Personality: Inside, Uriel is everywhere. He can go from very high to very low. He has a writer's mind that is unfocused, yet focused when he wants to be. He's complex though he yearns to be simple.
Fondest Memory: His wedding
Biggest Regret: Pushing friends away

SPECIALTY CHARACTERISTICS
Special Skill: Uriel, like all mers, can see snippets of the other mers' memories and thoughts. But while it lasts maybe a minute for others, Uriel's connection can last much longer and he can feel the emotions associated with these instances more acutely.

HISTORIC BACKGROUND
General History:

Uriel grew up in a very traditional household. His mother and father were strict but loving, and expected the best of him. Uriel was a trouble maker as a kid. He just had a hard time focusing, and was super sensitive to the world around him. He began to channel his emotions and thoughts in art and eventually writing, which his father was skeptical about. His mother encouraged him, but when Uriel turned 16, he started working in his father's Greek restaurant. He was expected to take over the business. But at 18, Uriel moved away to go to college, leaving on a sour note as his father screamed at him for disrespecting him and his mother cried about how he wanted to leave her childless.

While at college, Uriel met a girl and fell in love. She was an art major and loved his writings, constantly encouraging him. But when he tried to date her, she would always say no. Eventually, she admitted to him that she had cancer, and he didn't need her burdens. He refused to let it keep them apart, and she eventually gave in.

The got married when they were both 22, just after college graduation. Uriel tried for a while to get his writing published, but got rejection letter after rejection letter. He eventually started writing articles and speeches, anything that paid something and yet still let him write. Meanwhile, his wife got the devastating news that she had months to live. She passed when they were both 23, and Uriel never really got over it 100%.

He was just about to find some normalcy in his life at age 24 when he began getting assaulted with these 'visions'. Many of them contained characters, or what he thoughts were characters he'd made up in his mind for the last few years. He could see snippets of daily life. He could feel their pain, joy… It was all too real and was taking him over. He began writing down what he would see, and began neglecting his work. He began shutting out everyone left in his life, and fell 'sick' where the only cure he found was salt water.

But pouring salt into his water bottle only helped so much. He got the idea to take a dip in the ocean to see if it helped him, and it was like the water called to him. He slipped down inside and swam far out before realizing something was off. And between his memory spells, and swearing he saw himself with a mermaid tail, he classifies himself as certifiably insane. But in the snippets he saw from his characters, he saw one discover their merform as well, and he began to wonder if perhaps these were others like him. Whether other meant mer or crazy person he's not sure, but he wants to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Whirlwind

Accepted! I have a feeling he and Naji would hit it off. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.