Rose's thorns

Kyuhyun woke up a few minute disoriented about where he was. He looked around aging dingy damp walls. He hear the sound of water and figured that they were in a cave of some sort. He tried to remember why and how he got there. Quickly checking himself over he found a piece of his shirt missing.

He sat up and winced as he felt something move inside him. He finally confirmed he had a broken rib because of the kick. Sighing to himself he asked what he did to deserve this. He looked for the boy and and said "I suppose we should know eachothers name, because I'm stuck here and traveling with you I should know the name of my tormentor"

Shikiyoku just stared down at him, irritation in his eyes. Stuck babysitting a pathetic human, and he had no idea where Rose was. Turning away, his one track mind returning his thoughts to where Rose could be. "Shikiyoku," he finally said, not looking at the boy. "My name is Shikiyoku, but I'm normally called Shiki."

He rested his head against the damp walls, the sound of rushing water echoing through his ears. He let himself relax for a bit, trying to let his troubles fade. Or more like he'd hoped his new little companion would just knock out again.

"Well Shiki, you are stuck with me until we find Rose, by the way I'm Kyuhyun" he said matter of factly. Smiling somehow through his pain he stood up a but shakily wanting to find rose as soon as possible. "Can we go now?" he asked moving towards the mouth of the cave like room.

Re almost reached the end onf the room before falling to his knees. He was still to weak to go anywhere. Sighing he pushed up against the making himself comfortable.

"Kyuhyun," he mumbled under his breath, finding his name to be a bit odd. He kept his eyes closed as Kyuhyun spoke, trying to drown him out entirely. Leaving now, with the shape the human was in would get them no where. Shiki would only be burdened further by the boy. Protecting him from this and that. He scoffed at the idea of having to save the kid yet again. Hoping to use the excuse of 'coming too late.'

"That answer your question?" Shiki got to his feet, slowly walking over to the boy. "You're in no shape to go any where. Your pathetic, fragile, human body couldn't take walking anywhere. Much less protect yourself against anything." He kneeled down before the boy, looking him over. "Personally I don't feel like carrying you anywhere either."

He laughed, the sound a little self-loathing. "I wouldn't be in the position if you hadn't thrown me to the ground, and kicked my side" Kyuhyun said with a deep frown set in his face. It didn't help that boy got sick easily either so he was probably going to get an infection from the cut as well.

The teenager asked him "Why are you so against me, other than the fact I'm weak?" he stretched a little causing joints to pop and crack. Shifting so he would put pressure on his injured side "Do you have anything I could use to tie around my side, you broke my rib"

"No," Shiki said, standing straight up. Looking down on the boy, as he felt was right. "You wouldn't be in this position if you had protected Rose, like you claimed you were doing." He stood at the opposing wall, resting against it with a sigh. Crossing his arms, he turned his attention to the world outside, bored of not moving. "Don't blame me for your short comings."

He watched Kyuhyun, a bored look in his eyes. "I find humans to be a pathetic bunch of people honestly, though I hold no grudge against them. No, you, I don't like simply because you talk about protecting Rose, yet look at the situation you and her are both in. You would have been better off never speaking to her, and leaving the protecting, you claim to be doing, to me."

After heaving out a sigh, he walked back over to Kyuhyun, kneeling before him again. "Take your shirt off, and sit up straight," he said, examining the boys side.

"I never knew she was in danger of being kidnapped, when I say protection I meant bullies and ridicule" he said frowning "And you claim you were protecting her as well, then where the hell were you as she was being kidnapped hmm?" Kyuhyun asked frowning deeply now deflecting the anger Shiki was projecting.

Kyuhyun moved to take off his shirt. Sitting up straight he peeled off the blood soak shirt. His side was badly bruised the skin purple and black covering a large area. Scars littered his stomach and chest that were faded from years of bearing the scars. Kyuhyun had a blush and pulled his arm up to show his side better.

Shiki's irritation seemed to rise at the boys remark, "Fighting with her damn father," he almost barked out, thinking of the day Rose was sent away. "I was on my knee's, begging that man to let her stay. Keep her by myside so I could keep things like this from happening." Rolling his eyes, he pushed on the boys side lightly at first, watching his reaction.

"But no, he thought she'd be safe in another world. Thought no one would be able to find her there." Pausing, he pushed again, trailing up the boys chest to check the rest of his ribs. "This is the fourth time I had to set off and search for Rose. You'd think her old man would give in and let her stay with me, or at least let me go with her." Shiki grabbed the boys shirt and soaked it in the water, watching the crystal blue turn a dingy pink as it flowed and spread through out the water. He brought it back to him after wringing the water out and pushed it against the boys side. "Putting pressure out it might push it to far out of place, but I can't tell to well now because of the swelling. Once the swelling goes down I'll check it again."

Kyuhyun winced as he was poked and prodded. Goose bumps rised in the wake of the strange boy's hands as he listened to the explanation. He watched as Shiki dunked the shirt in the water, hissing as it was pressed against his bare skin. "So cold," he said a shiver shaking his body.

The Korean blinked as he bit his lip, trying to keep a calm face. His mind always asking 'Why me? Why him? Why always me?'. Sighing he accepted the fact that he was going to have to be a lot smarter and stronger around this boy just so he wouldn't get hit again. For some reason the thought of saving Rose fell to the back burner of his mind when the strong hands checked his body.

"You're so small," Shiki stated as he sat up. Still looking at Kyuhyun's torso as he ran a hand through his short brown hair. After a moment he finally looked back outside, now curious if all the human males were so small in stature. Then his mind wondered to how such a strange human even got Rose's attention. He was strange, and awkward. Just not normal in a word, or at least not normal in his eyes. Though, of course, the males there, were trained for certain things from the day they were born.

"Have you ever broken any bones before." Shiki talked, growing bored of the silence and finding no use for the remaining tension that seemed to be mostly one sided at the time. "In any matter, we'll have to leave before nightfall. It's best to be on the move in the moonlight."

"I know I'm small compared to the jocks at school but I'm not actually that small," He frowned taking offense. Shiki was a curious one. Kyuhyun never knew what he was thinking or what he was going to do. Shiki broke the silence with a question.

Looking up Kyuhyun nodded and said "I've broken four ribs, one hip, one femur and my collar bone all at once," he grimaced. He never like to think about that day or the days after it. It was a painful memory filled with sadness and Kyuhyun not accepting help.

"Smaller than me," Shiki chuckled, crossing his arms. Watching the clouds pass by outside, and a few birds toying with one another in the tree's. He looked at the unfamiliar boy, in a place he'd never been before and began to question if he may have actually been to hard on him. It was a fleeting thought though, coming and going.

"Then you should be fine." Shiki shrugged, thinking to himself. He'd have to drag the boy along with him once they started again. With a million fleeting thoughts, he stepped to the caves edge, peaking down at the water that rushed by.

Kyuhyun grew tired as the minutes wore on. It was painful to just sit here doing nothing. He watched the other boy get up and walk away. he thought about what he said previously and asked "Why is it better to travel by moonlight?"

'I should be sleeping right now, and tired injured Kyuhyun is not what anyone needed not to mention his mother was probably worried sick about not seeing her son where he should be. Maybe sleeping is how he will transport back

Shikiyoku looked on in silence for the passing moments, still lost in his own thoughts. It had become a rather common thing, thinking to himself. He'd made a home in this forest, the place where the sun was always brightest, so once the portal to another world opened Shiki was always one of the first people to notice. Now, years spent here alone, his thoughts were really all he had. As well as his weapons, but that gave him little comfort.

"Because," he finally said, turning back around. "I'm strongest at night." That was all he said to the boy, before holding his hand out to the boy. "We're moving now."

Kyuhyun was half asleep when Shikiyoku told him they were moving. Shaking his head he stood with some difficulty and made his way to Shiki. He took the others hand and proceeded to continue walking out of the cave.

Yawning he continued until the edge look out of the mouth. He didn't know what to do. Should he go left? Maybe right? Forward? He didn't know.

Shikiyoku felt stunned at the touch of the boys hand, feeling a quick chill shoot up his arm. He shook his head, assuming the passing feeling was nothing. Just a shock to the boys cold hands. As they stood at the edge, he let out a sigh, realizing if the boy jumped down on his own he'd probably hurt himself. Giving up his pride for a moment, he picked Kyuhyun up, jumping down as gently as he could.

"Do you want me to carry you," he asked, having not put the boy down just yet. He figured putting him up on his back would be the smartest move, making the trip less troublesome and hopefully faster. The sun was slowly beginning to set, the water sparkling with the fading rays.

Kyuhyun was surprised to say the least when he was lifted off of the ground and placed on Shiki's back. He shifted so it would be more comfortable for the two of them."Yes please" Kyuhyun mumbled slowly turning into dead weight as he fell asleep watching light bounce off of water. He breathed lightly his head falling onto the other's shoulder as he slept.

It was a long day filled with pain. Who was to blame him for wanting to sleep it all away and hope he was back in his bed when he woke up.

Shiki nodded his head, making his way up stream. He watched the sun fade away, quickly being replaced by the soft glow of the moon. For a moment he walked on like this, wading through the cold water marks beginning to glow on his shoulders. The symbols seemed to continue down his torso, though unseen and hidden by his clothes. Noticing the boy already asleep on his shoulder, Shiki grinned, his small fangs glowing in the moonlight.

"Sorry if things get a little bumpy," he said in a low whisper, having no intention of waking the boy up. Slowly, Shikiyoku began to pick up his pace, the water splashing beneath him with each step. His tattoo's were glowing brightly, fueled by the light of the full moon. It was a curse almost, placed upon him by Rose's father. 'A demon is to guard my daughter,' he told Shiki the day she choose him, 'so then a demon he will posses.' Of course, the man had never liked Shiki. He saw him as a curse upon his daughter, yet Rose had chosen Shiki to stay by her side for all time, so what could the old man do.

Shiki smirked, remembering the look of fear he'd caused in her father the day he instilled this curse upon him. Feeding off of that feeling, he ran as quickly as he could through the night.

As morning began to approach he had made his way back onto the original path, having made it half way through the forest through the night. The glow of his symbols began to die down, forcing him to slow his pace to a brisk walk. Breathing heavily he took one last deep breath, inhaling the scents around him to see where their current location could be.

Kyuhyun slept through the whole night. He'd let out little whimpers whenever it got to bumpy but didn't wake up once. His body was continuing to mend on his own with no aid and that too a very long time. Once the boy slowed down to a walk he slowly opened his eyes. Blinking he took the his surroundings trying to find out how far the traveled in a single night. Thinking he should still be able to hear the waterfall faintly he was surprised when he wasn't.

Did they really travel that far? He was dead weight, a floppy mass of bones and flesh that was usually uncooperative. But somehow they managed to get out of range of the waterfall. He tapped Shiki lightly and shifted. He wanted down. He needed to stretch no matter how painful it will be. He also needed water.

"Where are we?" Kyuhyun asked in a groggy voice day rubbing one of his eyes.

Shiki looked over his shoulder at the boy, the bored look having easily returned. All his power again wasted on another uneventful night. He scowled at the air before him, the terrible reminder of how boring things normally were in his life. Finally, he set Kyuhyun down slowly. The pause was short though, still having pint up energy as he walked on. "Keep up."

He stretched, reaching his hands as far as he could into the air. His shoulders where bit numb as he rolled them around, trying to get the feeling back. "There should be a small village up ahead. The forest will be coming to an end soon, so we'll have to buy something to ride." The thoughts all went through his head quickly. Ride, food, resources, coming to a holt as he remembered. He had no idea where they were going. "Oh, and, um," he began to stumble out, amazed that he had almost forgotten about his purpose of traveling with the boy. "I'll need to ask around, see if anyone has any idea what could have happened to Rose and if they'd seen her. I assume you'll be sitting somewhere, limp and weak as you were all night." He chuckled, taunting the boy once again.