Rose's thorns

Kyuhyun stepped down easily and stretched wincing as he did so before he ran up to catch up to Shikiyoku. He felt a lot better after a nights sleep and kept up with the other boy with only a little difficulty. When Shiki told them they were almost out of the forest he was surprised and happy. A village means a doctor, which means painkillers. Hopefully, it was like earth and they had those things. If they didn't he would most likely end up hurting himself more.

With the jibe he started "Hey! I'm not that weak, I lost a shit tonne of blood and had a broken rib" Kyuhyun tried to defend himself in vain, knowing that it would only end in more insults. "Besides, work gets done faster when there's two people" he pouted

Shiki didn't bother to listen to to boy whine, only catching small parts of his sentences. "Not that weak? I find that hard to believe. I mean really, who was carrying who all night?" He shrugged, speaking to the boy in a matter-of-a-fact tone.

Having every intention to leave Kyuhyun behind at some inn or something, he picked up his pace. Going over the words he actually heard the boy speak. "Besides nothing. The work gets done faster with you out of my way. You're injured, remember. Shit tone of blood, broken rib. That's what you were just whining about. Just stay out of my way and I'll get you once I'm finished." He said this last part in a rather assertive manner. Not wanting to look for the boy, or worry about having to carry him any further was his reasoning behind it all.

Another body to look after, and such a fragile one, would created a larger problem than he felt necessary. The hustle and bustle of the town finally came into ear shot, and soon you could see the people going on about their business.

"You chose to carry me, you could have dumped me somewhere, no you chose to carry me all night" Kyuhyun said retaliating against him. He never asked him to carry him, Shiki did all of that on his own. "Where are you going to dump me?" he said rolling his eyes hearing the towns hustle and bustle. Hopefully it would somewhere comfortable and clean.

Kyuhyun followed him to the ledge of town before looking down on it. It was a pretty sight with the 8 o'clock sun in the sky. Children were walking to school and adults were setting up shops. With his view he scoped out a doctors office and smiled. That is so where she was going to go the first chance he has.

"Choose to carry you?" Shiki scoffed at the thought, seeing as it wasn't some far out dream he had. Carrying some pathetic human around all night. If the boy could take a hit, they wouldn't have been in such a situation. "Thanks to you, we were set back by hours. I had to do something to catch up on lost time."

Pushing through the small crowds, Shiki let out a sigh. More irritated than usual being locked in the town rush. Though he couldn't really be called a hermit, you wasn't exactly social either. His time alone in the forest had led him to a more, standoff-ish nature. In his mind he growled at the passing people, wishing they would all just move out of his way. "I suppose you could be of some use," Shiki finally said as the neared the only infirmary in town.

Wishing to get out of this town as soon as possible, he lowered his pride, and quickly. Actually seeking a bit of help from the boy, he turned to face him. "Here," he said as he removed a small pouch from his hip. "Get us supplies. Mostly weapons, I can hunt food, and find water easily. I need something to light a fire when needed though, and something to cook it on. That should be enough to cover all that we need, and any medicine you may need." Finishing up what he had to say, he started off. "And..." He turned back around, pointing to the dagger that Kyuhyun still had of his. "Get yourself a weapon if you wish. I'd like my dagger back."

"Sure, blame it on time, you probably could have travelled twice as far with out me, but you chose to bring me" Kyuhyun said in a teasing voice, effortlessly moving through the crowd greeting some people on the way with a warm smile. Kyuhyun was known to be awkward and shy at home. For some reason here feels comfortable and happy. Shrugging he just followed the moody boy to the infirmary.

When Shiki thruster the bag in his arms Kyuhyun snapped out of his daydream. He looked at the other boy and smiled nodding. When he was told to give the dagger back he pulled it out of his pocket giving it back reluctantly. He turned his back to the boy and entered the building his first instinct to see the doctor. Ten minutes later he came out of the back room with bandages around his torso and a new shirt. He bought painkillers and some disinfectant just in case of any bad cuts.

He left the infirmary and found a weapons dealer buying a dart gun with tranquilliser darts along with a basic dagger for himself. The last stop was just a convenience store buying matches and tinder.

Shiki slipped the dagger into it's rightful area. Nodding to Kyuhyun, he walked off, starting his interrogation with the travelers on the other end of town. Questioning almost everyone he'd seen, he felt rather disappointed as he moved on with no progress. Even asking some of the children he'd seen playing in the streets, talking to them about the shadow that passed through the sky. Of course he simply smiled at the children, playing off of the once friendly nature that was his personality.

The children gave him as little information about the situation as the adults. They all told him that they'd seen the sun go black for that short moment, but couldn't make out the image of a creature, or even see Rose there at all. Bright red hair that flowed down her back, and she was probably in her normal red dress. In his eyes that'd be hard to miss. Letting out a sigh, he went on with his questioning.

Feeling his breath was being waster on little to no answers, he took a break. Sitting by a small pound the town had made for themselves to draw water from if times became desperate. He dipped his hand into the cool water, and took a deep, somewhat calming breath. For a moment his thoughts shifted to Kyuhyun, wondering where the boy had run off to, and almost a bit worried about him walking about this town alone. Finally he got to his feet and went off to look for him.

Kyuhyun growing bored just sitting around and waiting for Shiki to come back started talking to people. They were talking about how the sky went black before and seeing a figure move west. he questioned them about the figure and they shrugged. They said it just looked like a blob in the sky and said no one believed them about seeing any blob moving about.

Smiling to himself about getting this piece of information albeit a small piece he figured with any knowledge Shiki collected it would prove useful. Thanking the group he walked down the street just talking to random people about random things feeling like he lived here all his life. Everyone looked normal enough just like humans, so why was Shiki so hostile and strong?

Shiki seemed to find himself in an over crowded area, trying not to pull his daggers out as he was bumped about by people. He went on like this a few more feet, finally coming across a small clearing from the crowd and noticing Kyuhyun not to far off. He let out a sigh of relief upon noticing Kyuhyun.

"Hey." He was ready to go, slipping through another small crowd to stand by him. "It's time to go. How much is left?" He continued dodging and avoiding people that brushed past them, before finally at the brink of extreme irritation. He grabbed Kyuhyun by the arm, pulling him out of the mess of people as the streets only began to fill up more. Straightening himself up, he looked Kyuhyun over, still rather unamused by the boys smaller stature. "As I was saying, how much money is left?"

Kyuhyun passed him the rest of the money and the supplies before asking "Did you find anything out?" he was smiling. He had a new dagger and pain killers. That was all he needed. He felt giddy, he knew the direction the blob was going and suspected that it was Rose and her captor. He was one step closer to finding his girlfriend.

He stretched feeling great and looked at the alley way they were in so Shiki could escape the crowd. It was actually quite clean, cleaner than what you would see in his town. Dust was kicked up as they moved their feet causing his eyes to water momentarily as he blinked the dirt away from his eyes.

He checked the bag, counting how much was left as well as strapping everything they'd gotten into a bag he'd been carrying. Though up until now it was empty. "Well," he scoffed. "Nothing I didn't already know. Blocked out the sun, meaning the portal was opened, and headed in the direction we're traveling. Nothing." He shook his head, disappointed in how little attention these people paid to anything.

He continued on in the direction they were walking, realizing how close they were to the man who sold the animals he wished to buy. "Keep up," he stated bluntly as he started into a slow jog, avoiding people as he'd grown rather good at. After a short jog, and many unnecessary twist and turns, he found himself before the winged beast he wished to buy, as well as another covered to the brink with scales, and six legs that seemed to contain every muscle needed to easily cross long distances without stop.

"See anything you like," the seller asked, eyeing Shiki who was eyeing the beast.

"These two, the griffin and the basilisk." He didn't think twice, not even bothering to ask about the price. Just to shut the man up, he tossed the bag of coins over to him. Whatever was in there was enough, or Shiki would find a way to make it enough.

"Now there, I hope you don't take me for a fool," the seller started at Shiki, shaking the coins at him harshly. "This is barely enough for just one of these creatures. They are not easy to tame and --"

He was hushed quickly, Shikiyoku putting the tip of his blade to the mans throat. "What was that?"

"We're heading west right, what's over in that direction?" Kyuhyun asked wanting to know what he will be put through if he was going to travel with the boy. He easily kept up with Shiki darting through crowds like a pro. Once they stop he noticed the beasts and admired them.

While Shiki was "Negotiating" with the salesman he approached the Griffin smiling. It seemed relatively calm and he outstretched a hand to it. 'I thought griffins were violent?' he thought taking another step. The beast blinked at him standing up cautiously walking up to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun pushed his other hand out slowly stroking the beak of the not so mythical creature. The griffin bowed slightly and Kyuhyun slowly walked around it petting its feathers. Reaching it's side he climbed on it's back with a victorious grin saying to the salesman "Not easy to tame?"

Shikiyoku watched the man slowly back away, nodding carefully to him. "My mistake sir," the man said, his voice shaky. "This is the perfect amount."

He scoffed, returning the blade to it's rightful place, before noticing Kyuhyun. Letting out a light chuckle as he glanced up at the boy, he stepped to the large griffin. "I guess you are good at something then human." He flashed a quick smile at the boy, before turning his attention back to the man. "We'll be off then."

Shiki nodded one last time to the man before stepping to the basilisk. With it's standoff nature it greeted him with a growl, both of them locking eyes with one another. It hissed at him again, trying to snap at him. Shiki just stood, chuckling as he reached his hand through and patted the creature on the head. "Good, you'll be perfect. Kyuhyun, let's go."

He released the basilisk from its cage, letting it slowly venture out on it's own. The large creature demanded it's space as it stepped through the crowd, following cautiously behind Shiki toward the end of town.

Kyuhyun felt victorious as he said "I can help it if I am good with animals" he shrugged returning the smile with one of his own. He looked at the salesman just before he left and waved taking off after Shiki and the Basilisk. Getting through town was easy enough with the creatures. Once they finally reached the edge of town the griffin stopped smelling the air.

The large creature let out a happy shriek before running full speed ahead and taking off into the sky. Kyuhyun let off a small scream as stared to take off hiding his face in it feathers, his arms wrapped around its powerful neck. After a few moments he began to relax and looked up from his hiding spot smiling. They banked to the right circling above Shiki.

"Kyuhyun, learn to control your new pet," Shiki shouted at him, grimacing at the loud noise the animal made as it took off. He rolled his eyes, growling softly at the boy. At times Shiki felt he was just to happy, along with the bird like creature he was riding. "You." He turned, facing the basilisk. The creature was roughly the same height as Shiki, its six legs followed by a tail that swished back and forth.

Much like Shiki the creature preferred to be alone and unbothered. It's large and hazardous nature scared most, if not all, others away. Making it a very rare catch, and nearly impossible to ride. Of course this wasn't Shiki's wish. He could run almost as fast as the beast, but his noise would never be as sharp.

"You'll be of great service to me." He smirked. Turning back around, he continued walking on. Returning to his prideful ways of almost always looking down at others. Which only caused him more irritation knowing Kyuhyun was flying around, above him. "Kyuhyun, we're walking. So...GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!" He scoffed in annoyance, the basilisk growling up at the griffin and Kyuhyun in response to Shikiyoku's anger.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]"That's what I'm doing!" he shouted below him. He petted the Griffin asking it to do various things. The eagle head turned to look at him lowering in altitude. When they finally landed Kyuhyun looked at Shiki with a pout "Ruin my fun why don't you?" he said not getting off the creature but trotting beside the Basilisk.

Kyuhyun continued petting the Griffin. It sometime reared it's head to nipping his hand softly every so often. Trotting ahead it walked beside Shiki bumping it's head on Shiki's shoulder.[/FONT]

"Going to slow," Shikiyoku mumbled under his breath, watching them land. He shot a scowl at Kyuhyun, rather annoyed at the boy and the creature he was riding about on. Instead though, he held his objections to himself. Reminding himself that the boy was weak (as well as pathetic in his eyes) and would probably need to ride the griffin just to keep up with them.

"Glad you like him kid, but don't over work him. I travel at night, and your bird will have to stay awake most of the time to make sure you two don't get left behind." He looked at the basilisk that slowly trailed behind, making it obvious it wished to be other places.

"Come tonight though," he started, "I'll need them both to come with me. So you'll have to do something until we get back." He looked up at the sky, checking for the time of day.

"Why do you need both of them?" He asked tilting his head in a curious matter. "And I promise not to over work him, I just feel like he'll take off again without us," He said hugging the beast "Do you think we should have gotten a rein for him?"

He looked farther ahead seeing strange figures up ahead. They didn't look like everyone else on this planet. Was it animals or perhaps some sort of species that was akin to the dominating race here? The griffin squawked quietly obviously seeing something that displeased it up ahead and Kyuhyun looked down at Shiki. "What's up ahead?" he asked pointing in the general direction.

"Simple, because I said so." Shiki smirked, his pride almost radiating off of him as he walked on. "They need to be properly trained so they know who their Master is. Hint, it's me." Looking up at Kyuhyun, he felt a bit noxious. The boy was so lovey-dovey on the creature, and it made Shiki sick. It was a beast to be controlled and used for a proper purpose. Not to be cuddled up against and petted. Sighing, he thought his differences with the boy over, rolling his eyes. "Why would a griffin need reins. That's just cruel."

Shikiyoku looked on, seeing nothing. Already questioning the boys sanity, this certainly didn't help. "I don't see anything Kyuhyun," he said, scratching the back of his head. Behind them the basilisk came to a stop, ready, and almost eager, to attack whatever was around them. "I'm just going to assume you're all crazy." He continued walking, snapping his fingers at the large lizard falling even further behind. Growling at Shiki, the basilisk made its way back up to the group, it's suspicion only rising.

"Easier to ride I dunno," Kyuhyun gave a shrug "Give me some slack man, I'm adjusted pretty well to this world and I don't know anything about the creatures here, and why can't I be it's Master? She seems to like me enough," Kyuhyun gave him a pleading look before the griffin shrieked again louder.

Kyuhyun glared up ahead pulling his dagger out of its sheath. The griffin slowed down sniffing around the area with suspicion. Kyuhyun looked up searching the trees for any sign of foul play. His eyes widened as a group fell to the ground landing on their feet in a circle around them.

"You don't have the skill, nor capacity." He paused, looking up at the griffin. Sighing, he came to a stop, watching the creatures reactions. He had little to no interest in the people who surrounded them. "Shadow bandits. What a dream come true." The sarcasm was highly apparent in his voice as he took a few steps back.

After living in the forest alone for so long, defending himself against the shadows was a rather easy task for him. "Kid, either get out of our way, or get down." Shiki said as he pulled his sword out. Waiting for one of them to make a move, he heard the basilisk growl and snap at one of him. One of them rushed at him, Shiki only side stepping to get out of the way of his attack. Before Shiki got a chance to strike back, the man disappeared into his shadow. Moving quickly and easily from one shadow to the next.