Ronin: Setting Sun

D

Dooley

Original poster
Ronin: Setting Sun
It is the year 679AC. More than six centuries have passed since the collapse of modernity. The ravages of time bringing about their change, the world revealed a foreign place when the dust settled. Bedlam reigned sovereign in this new land's formative years. The primeval drive of man forcing out his baser self in order to survive. It could not be helped to stain one's hands with the blood of the guiltless, not then. Yet as years eked by this age of wanton despair did too fall away. Fortune would smile on the bold, and the next chapter of mankind's history would be written.

Surrounded by the Sea of Dragons is Nippon. The island-nation has remained chiefly isolated from the rest of the world for all these long years. Yet in it's seclusion it has born again a people resolved in an era of uncertainty. The clans that rule here trace their roots back to birth of Nippon. It was in the early 280's that the clans came together and named their Emperor, finally unifying the nation and bringing about an age of relative peace. The Yukatama line ruled as sovereigns of Nippon for three centuries before the seat was vacated in mid 500's. With the seat of power empty starving eyes turned upon the throne. The Age of Warlords had begun.

As chiefs and lords made bids for power most simply hoped to live. There were few outside the nobility that wished for battle. The average soldier fought only because his lord bade him to. Yet amidst the dregs of militia and conscripts a sect of fighters existed. A mindset from a bygone era given life anew through Nippon's rich culture and history. These warriors were the Samurai.

The winter of 678AC marked the closing of one of the bloodiest campaigns recorded in current history. Takegami Jourai mustered his forces and marched from his lands in Hifu Province into Singui. The Baraka Clan, led by Baraka Shinsuru, met Jourai in the field. Vastly outnumber the Baraka suffered innumerable losses and retreated further into their lands. The Takegami advanced sacking villages, burning castles, and displacing the citizenry as they marched. Jourai's forces finally caught the remaining Baraka resulting in a short battle in which Shinsuru was reportedly killed. With this victory the Takegami clan seized Singui province and increased their power in the west.

Bred from these atrocities are the vagabonds, the derelicts. People with no home to return to or lacking a cause to fight for. Where the flames of war touch more come to be. Yet no heed is given to these leftovers, to those that remain when the embers go cold. So strange the irony is, that people of this sort would play a key role in changing the fate of Nippon once more.

Hey guys! So this is an idea I've had for a while now. I left it sort of ambiguous in the narrative, but the setting is essentially a Post-Apocalyptic Japan where the inhabitants have reverted back to the Feudal Era. A global event known only as "The Collapse" brought about the downfall of modern society, leading eventually to the world at the start of the RP.

Plot
The main story will follow a group of characters somehow connected to Jourai's conquest of Singui Province. The first arc will revolve around the conflict between the Takegami presence in the area and the people still loyal to Baraka. After that, depending on how the first arc ends, we'll branch out slowly into the greater plot.

I like to do Character Specific Chapters, usually at least one per character in each story arc. What that means is as I GM the story, taking into account everyone's actions and decisions, I try to alternate who the "Protagonist" is. That doesn't mean I favor one particular character over another in any given chapter, just that I try to weave together a cohesive story by incorporating a character directly into the story.

So, for example: In your character history you've written that your sister has been missing since So-and-So battle at X location. I'll look at that and write her into the story. Maybe she's dead and we find her body. Maybe she is alive and hiding with rebels. Maybe she became a prostitute addicted to opium. It's usually a little more complicated than all that, but I try to work in sub-plots for each and every character if it's natural and viable. Depending on how impactful it might be to a character I may DM you and ask permission.

Setting
As I said, the setting is essentially a Post-Apocalyptic Japan. It isn't all doom and gloom though. The Collapse wasn't like a nuclear holocaust or the like. Plant-life and greenery are fine, water is drinkable, animals are abundant. In fact the only thing it seemed to effect is people, somehow thrusting us back into the dark ages.

Now here is where things start to take a turn. There exists in this world what people refer to as "Ancient Technology". The remnants of society before the collapse. To the common man the feats performed by these devices could only be considered magic. Therefore the people that study and manipulate these devices have come to be referred to as Sages.

Foot and by horse are the main commonly used means of travel. The sea around Nippon, known as the Sea of Dragons, is highly unstable so ships are rarer and tend to stick to the shallows.

Larger cities do have electricity which is powered by Ancient Technology called Nodes.

It is important to note that the collapse did not happen 600 years from our present. It came about sometime in our distant future.

Characters

I'm pretty open to character design. As long as it fits into Japanese culture and you use an anime Play-By I'm happy. You can be anything from a Samurai or displaced bandit, to a widowed housewife or farmer. Let your imagination run wild. I'm gonna post a rough Character-Skelly just to give you an idea of what I want to see. You don't have to follow it perfectly, just make sure all the fields can be found somewhere on your Character-Sheet.

Code:
Name: [Japanese style name: Lastname, Firstname]
Sexuality:

Height:
Weight:
Hair Color:
Eyes Color:

Possessions: [Anything important to your character that you feel you should list. You do not have to write down generic clothes of weapons unless you wish to. If you have something that may be plot relevant, or you wish to include in the plot put it here. This can be amended late if you obtain an item during the story.]

Appearance: [At least a paragraph]
Personality: [At least a paragraph]
Biography: [At least three paragraphs]

Reactions: Aero Blue
I really like what I'm seeing. I only have one question:

When you say the technology seems like magic, what sort of level of tech are we talking here? Given you specificed the 600 years ago-thing isn't set from our today, and given that electricity is actually somewhat ingrained in society, I feel like this would have to be very advanced? Are we talking some sort of Nier-levels of dystopia tech? Or even actually magical devices that just seem like technology?

Reactions: Dooley
@Jack Robinson
Great! I took most of the inspiration for this from First of the North Star, but Samurai Jack is also pretty accurate. A few more people and we can start.

@sun.
Technology in this world is a mixture of medieval and Sci-Fi. Very few people would possess powerful ancient devices. Generally speaking the Sages are the only ones with the knowledge to operate lost technology.

As far as the specifics of the technology: yes it is advanced. The Nodes that generate electricity to large cities are an example of that. Things like energy weapons and the like exist. However, they are rare and most found are turned over to the Sages or confused for junk by laymen.

I was thinking of potential character concepts, and I was thinking of perhaps foregoing the common archer-trope in these types of settings, and instead go with some sort of gunslinger. Would that work for a non-Sage? I reckon if the weaponry is advanced, it would be unlikely, but perhaps you have an instant idea on how to make it fit. Otherwise, I'd probably ask some questions and construct a background myself, but I figured it'd be better to just ask beforehand if you're cool with the idea at all. :P

@sun.
Gunpowder weaponry was already replaced by the time of the collapse in favor of more advanced firearms. Most of these weapons have been lost to time. Now, with that said, I could see some sort of gunslinger.

There would have to be some checks and balances out put on the firearms. It couldn't be something with the potential to be mass-produced. It also would not be able to shoot rapidly. Perhaps the weapon has to charge a few seconds between shots. Just for fairness and to keep anything too powerful from entering the story early on.

This sounds interesting. I would like to show my interest.

I am going to wait and see if I can get a few more interested people involved before I move on and start fleshing out the RP. A group of about 5-8 would be a good size to start with for a story of this type. I am highly open to suggestions for making the world more appealing, fair, and fun for those partaking; so please let me know if you have any ideas.

This is pretty interesting. Count me in.